PDA

View Full Version : Interesting side note re: Aldridge's season last year - shot 35% from 3

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Obviously we all know he's a prolific mid-range shooter, but last year he shot 35.2% from 3. Now he was only taking 1.5 attempts per game, so it's not like he was draining several threes a game, but I think a 100+ shot sample is worth bringing up. Before last season, he had never taken 30 threes in a season. Last year he took 105. I don't think that's by coincidence - it's likely been something he's worked on to add to his game. Wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs encourage him to continue working on that 3-point shot. Would add a very nice wrinkle to the offense.

For comparison to get an idea of what ~1.5 3PA per game looks like - Parker shot 1.3 3s per game last season. So Aldridge's 3-point volume was around there.

ducks
07-04-2015, 01:15 PM
42% from the corner three

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2015, 01:16 PM
"You will be my Matt Bonner" - :pop:

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Ya I've been saying this for months..

He was on Lebatard's show a few months ago and they asked him about the perception that mid-range is inefficient..he said he disagreed , but that he was planning on expanding his range to the 3-point line to expand his game and extend his career..

He said he had increased his 3-point reps in the off-season every year..

With Kawhi on the team and the post game/mid-attack being his strongest attribute, Aldridge being a 3-point threat will be huge for his offensive production..

Kawhi being unable to drive and relegated to spot-up shooter with Duncan/Splitter clogging the lane has been a concern for the past 2 years(considering opposing teams do not respect Tim's jump shot)..with Aldridge, he's going to have a ton of room to operate..

Nathan89
07-04-2015, 01:18 PM
7'4.75 wingspan as well.

CitizenDwayne
07-04-2015, 01:18 PM
He could easily add that to his game, imo. The dude's stroke is phenomenal. Hopefully, though, he doesn't get the urge to turn into Ryan Anderson or some shit

Mr. Body
07-04-2015, 01:19 PM
To maintain spacing, esp mixed with the second unit (poss David West) I can see him doubling those 3pt attempt numbers.

phxspurfan
07-04-2015, 01:46 PM
I wonder how Pop will change the sets with him in there instead of Splitter. Are we going to run the triangle with Duncan as our Luc Longley

InRareForm
07-04-2015, 01:53 PM
You best believe pop will find spots for him to drain that 3 ball

TD 21
07-04-2015, 04:32 PM
I expect next season is the year he becomes more of a volume three point shooter, along the lines of Bosh, Millsap and Ibaka.

Even if he basically duplicates last season's volume/percentage, between him and Diaw, they have enough range shooting at PF to get by without Bonner now.

He may well be brought back anyway, just because they need to fill out the bench for cheap and he's well liked and knows the system, but they no longer need him.