Bench
1 FA
1/2 Mills
2/3 Ginobili
3 Anderson
4 FA
4/5 Diaw
5 FA

Hence the reported interest in West, Stoudemire, and Lin. Unless Ginobili is just done, I think he comes back now for one more season. Joseph will be a cap casualty.

itsamanuthree
07-04-2015, 01:30 PM
That would be so cool, is it possible?

Starters
1 Parker
2 Green
3 Leonard
4 Aldridge
5 Duncan

Bench
1 Lin
1/2 Mills
2/3 Ginobili
3 Anderson
4/5 Stoudemire
4/5 Diaw
5 West

GSH
07-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Signing West would truly be a sign that the basketball gods were on the Spurs' side. I'm still pulling for the Spurs to give another look at Sonny Weems, and for him to see the value in playing here for less than he really wants.

Uriel
07-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Don't forget the reports about Caron Butler, Tayshaun Prince, and Carlos Boozer. Oh, and Bonner is probably coming back too.

BillMc
07-04-2015, 01:34 PM
What are the odds we can keep Joseph? Even if it is only for his QO?

heyheymymy
07-04-2015, 01:35 PM
dream lineup:

Parker/Cojo
Green/Mills/Ginobili
Leonard/Anderson/LJC
Aldridge/West/Bonner
Duncan/Diaw

GSH
Oh, and Bonner is probably coming back too.

Oh fuck! And I had a nice little buzz going, too. Now I'm gonna have to drink something to get it back.

NickiRasgo
I think it's best to convince Manu first then try to lure David West then wait for the Summer League standout.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 01:37 PM
It will probably be West or Stoudemire, if they are able to sign either one.

intlspurshk
07-04-2015, 01:38 PM
If West is signed, then SPURS don't need Diaw and may arrange for a sign and trade? How about trading Anderson for Matt Barnes or Mo William?

Shabazz
07-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Need to replace Belli's 3pt shooting.

Might I suggest 2009 NCAA finals MVP Wayne Ellington? A guy who outplayed and out shot Danny for 3 straight years as his teammate.

He'd be a bargain. Plus the Warriors have expressed interest, and if he ends up coming off the bench in their system he is gonna be an upgrade over Barbosa.

phxspurfan
07-04-2015, 01:43 PM
What are the odds we can keep Ayers?!

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Also likely if Lin is signed Ginobili is retiring.

Guess is Spurs are pitching West on signing two year minimum deal with option after 1st year and new contract next summer when cap increases to eleventy billion.

bluebellmaniac
07-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Lin would be an incredible get.

SpursSerb
07-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Hm...i expect someone from Europe, maybe Kaun as a center or Sony Weems on 2/3. Yeah maybe Rodriguez from Real as Parkers replacement.

From the NBA players, Amare, Hansborough, Seraphin, Teletovic...

Shabazz
07-04-2015, 01:47 PM
If West is signed, then SPURS don't need Diaw and may arrange for a sign and trade? How about trading Anderson for Matt Barnes or Mo William?

So much wrong in this post.

Spurs need Diaw's passing and offensive skillset, regardless of whether they get an over the hill West or not.

Matt Barnes is a complete tool and a dirty player. Mo Williams is an older version of Patty Mills. You don't give up a young talent like Slow MO for either of those guys.

Spurs priorities need to be centers and a shooter to replace Belli. If you lose CoJo or Manu, then ball handlers like Slow Mo become even more important.

TheCerebral1
07-04-2015, 01:49 PM
I don't understand anyone's interest in Lin. I hope he goes back to NY. I want players who can make a difference.

Malik Hairston
07-04-2015, 01:50 PM
:lol Boris is a far better player than David West right now, tbh..

bluebellmaniac
07-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Also likely if Lin is signed Ginobili is retiring.

Guess is Spurs are pitching West on signing two year minimum deal with option after 1st year and new contract next summer when cap increases to eleventy billion.

That would be great for Lin as well. For Manu, couldn't we sign him to a three or four year min deal and then after this season buy him out? Effectively backloading a $4 to 5 million one year contract? We still wouldn't pay luxury tax. Thoughts?

Shabazz
07-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Lin would be an incredible get.

Why? Dude has been going downhill ever since he left new York

And I don't get why any contender would want Amar after watching him alternate between injuries and sucking the last few years.

You want your reserve bigs to be healthy in the long regular season, so you can rest your stars and ensure Dubcan/LMA/Diaw are 100 percent entering the playoffs. You don't go after oft injured players like Amare.

Nathan89
07-04-2015, 01:53 PM
We don't need one of the most dynamic players on the team:lol Do you not want to beat the Warrior?

Aldridge and Diaw lineups will be incredibly entertaining

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 01:55 PM
We don't need one of the most dynamic players on the team:lol Do you not want to beat the Warrior?

Aldridge and Diaw lineups will be incredibly entertaining

Yes. Splitter was disposed, not Diaw.

BD24
07-04-2015, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't mind West, Bismack Biyombo, and Wayne Ellington to fill out the lineup. Not sure we have the cap space to get all 3 though. Biyombo and Ellington should be relatively cheap I would think. Only one who would really have to take a big discount is David West.

baseline bum
07-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Starters
1 Parker
2 Green
3 Leonard
4 Aldridge
5 Duncan

Bench
1 FA
1/2 Mills
2/3 Ginobili
3 Anderson
4 FA
4/5 Diaw
5 FA

Hence the reported interest in West, Stoudemire, and Lin. Unless Ginobili is just done, I think he comes back now for one more season. Joseph will be a cap casualty.

My guess is the bench is Mills, Ginobili, Diaw, Anderson, Bonner, and no clue about the other three or four spots. West would be really nice with one of them. Lin is a pipe dream at a minimum salary.

palangi
07-04-2015, 01:57 PM
:lol Boris is a far better player than David West right now, tbh..
Why even argue this?

PF Aldridge, diaw
C Duncan, West

that is a good 4 man rotation with different combinations to be played with.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 01:59 PM
My guess is the bench is Mills, Ginobili, Diaw, Anderson, Bonner, and no clue about the other three or four spots. West would be really nice with one of them. Lin is a pipe dream at a minimum salary.

Yeah, one wonders if the Lin scenario was if Aldridge didn't sign.

West becomes such a huge (and unlikely - no matter how much he is signaling giving up $ for a title shot) possible get. Sign him and then you are deciding between Bonner as the 5th big or maybe some other vet.

Malik Hairston
Why even argue this?

PF Aldridge, diaw
C Duncan, West

that is a good 4 man rotation with different combinations to be played with.

I was replying to the poster that said we should trade Diaw if West joins the Spurs..

Yuixafun
Trevor Ariza man, to back up Green or KL, I'd be ecstatic.

Shabazz
07-04-2015, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't mind West, Bismack Biyombo, and Wayne Ellington to fill out the lineup. Not sure we have the cap space to get all 3 though. Biyombo and Ellington should be relatively cheap I would think. Only one who would really have to take a big discount is David West.

Biyombo has gone to Toronto. 2 year deal.

But yeah, spurs could get Wayne for pretty cheap... and you would likely be keeping him away from the defending Champs who know how to utilize 3pt shooters.

BD24
07-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Biyombo has gone to Toronto. 2 year deal.

But yeah, spurs could get Wayne for pretty cheap... and you would likely be keeping him away from the defending Champs who know how to utilize 3pt shooters.
Yea saw that pretty much right after I posted lol. Umm maybe Emaka Okafor? Would like a true center/defensive post. Think he fits that role, could maybe be had relatively cheap.

Kosta Koufus would be ideal. We can't afford him though.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Starters
1 Parker
2 Green
3 Leonard
4 Aldridge
5 Duncan

Bench
1 FA *Cojo
1/2 Mills
2/3 Ginobili
3 Anderson *4/3
4 FA *LJC *3/4
4/5 Diaw *4/3
5 FA *WEST OR AMARE 4/5
*5/4 DAVIES OR TAVARES

intlspurshk
07-04-2015, 02:06 PM
You are right on individual player's quality but as a team there is no enough min to share at backup PF for Diaw and West. Both can't play center and trading Diaw free up cap space to keep Cojo. Spurs need a dirty player and KL needs a backup. Matt fills the need at min salary. If KA do not develop a shot,then he has no future with this team and Spurs need to replace Macro too

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 02:06 PM
They lose Joseph unless he's willing to play for the min.

DPG21920
07-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Only way that SA keeps CJ is if POR agrees to a S&T (doubtful, but possible) or Tim takes the vet min himself. If Tim just takes 6M like reported, that allows SA to keep Mills assuming cap gets the bump we expect. They might have to waive Reggie to get LMA his max, but not lose Patty.

If Tim takes less than the 6M, then SA could very well keep Cory too. Not likely, but again, possible.

NASpurs
07-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Isn't Reggie Williams' contract guaranteed next year? Just a general question.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Duncan/Diaw/Cady
Aldridge/West/Bonner
Kawhi/Kyle/Livio
Green/Manu/Williams
Tony/Mills/Wolters

djohn14
Kevin Seraphin would be a good pick up. Younger and athletic. Would be a great 4th or 5th big.

Mr. Body
Felton Spencer still around?

DPG21920
07-04-2015, 02:10 PM
What about a JaVale McGee reclamation project?

NASpurs
07-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Duncan/Diaw/Cady
Aldridge/West/Bonner
Kawhi/Kyle/Livio
Green/Manu/Williams
Tony/Mills/Wolters

That's actually the most realistic lineup I've seen so far

DPG21920
07-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Isn't Reggie Williams' contact guaranteed next year? Just a general question.

Nope - that's what should allow SA to keep Mills assuming Tim takes the appropriate salary and/or the cap jumps. They waive Reggie as final cap space push

DPG21920
07-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Isn't Reggie Williams' contact guaranteed next year? Just a general question.

Nope - that's what should allow SA to keep Mills assuming Tim takes the appropriate salary and/or the cap jumps. They waive Reggie as final cap space push

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Does signing Livio to a deal affect their cap room? He's said before that he intends on coming over this summer and I think it'll happen.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Does signing Livio to a deal affect their cap room? He's said before that he intends on coming over this summer and I think it'll happen.It shouldn't affect anything if all the other deals are done first.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Does signing Livio to a deal affect their cap room? He's said before that he intends on coming over this summer and I think it'll happen.

Presumably he'd be signed using a minimum cap exception, so that would be after the fact.

Malik Hairston
The only perimeter player on the market that interests me is Ellington, tbh..not as good as Belinelli, but still a solid spot-up shooter at 1+ PPP, despite playing for teams that didn't generate clean looks very often..he played with Danny at UNC, too, maybe that could help persuade him to sign for cheap..

Otherwise, I'd rather let 8-Head get a shot at playing backup SF..as slow as he is, he's probably a much, much better option than fucking Caron Butler or Tayshaun Prince, tbh..

Although I'm not a fan of his, keeping Joseph and putting him at the 2 would be ideal, but I doubt the Spurs can keep him..

ChumpDumper
Presumably he'd be signed using a minimum cap exception, so that would be after the fact.He was a first round pick.

GSH
07-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Only way that SA keeps CJ is if POR agrees to a S&T (doubtful, but possible) or Tim takes the vet min himself. If Tim just takes 6M like reported, that allows SA to keep Mills assuming cap gets the bump we expect. They might have to waive Reggie to get LMA his max, but not lose Patty.

If Tim takes less than the 6M, then SA could very well keep Cory too. Not likely, but again, possible.

Patty is such an important piece, I think they have to do whatever it takes to keep him.

Maybe Tim will take less if the team promises to get him a T-3 Internet connection in the locker room, and a private tutor for his kids to just go on the road with him.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2015, 02:18 PM
The only perimeter player on the market that interests me is Ellington, tbh..not as good as Belinelli, but still a solid spot-up shooter at 1+ PPP, despite playing for teams that didn't generate clean looks very often..he played with Danny at UNC, too, maybe that could help persuade him to sign for cheap..

Otherwise, I'd rather let 8-Head get a shot at playing backup SF..as slow as he is, he's probably a much, much better option than fucking Caron Butler or Tayshaun Prince, tbh..

Although I'm not a fan of his, keeping Joseph and putting him at the 2 would be ideal, but I doubt the Spurs can keep him..If they don't have to rescind his QO to sign LA, i guess the only thing keeping him from being retained would be what the Spurs would want to pay.

NASpurs
07-04-2015, 02:19 PM

:tu thanks for the answer... very interesting.

dbestpro
07-04-2015, 02:20 PM
This could be Deshaun Thomas's one and only opportunity to make a Spurs roster.

Darius Bieber
I can see Lin happening. Pop likes high IQ players. Doesn't get much better than a Harvard grad.

Malik Hairston
If they don't have to rescind his QO to sign LA, i guess the only thing keeping him from being retained would be what the Spurs would want to pay.

Hopefully they can keep him, then..

He's the best perimeter defender on the market, knows the system, and has more potential than anybody the Spurs could realistically acquire..

Marcus Bryant
He was a first round pick.

Same basic result.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2015, 02:21 PM
This could be Deshaun Thomas's one and only opportunity to make a Spurs roster.

He's not even on the summer league roster, so I doubt he comes over. That spot will go to Livio.

Malik Hairston
07-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Duncan/West
Aldridge/Diaw
Kawhi/Manu
Green/Joseph
Parker/Mills

Ugh, that would be a disgusting lineup, tbh..disgusting..

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Joseph's QO will have to be rescinded to sign Aldridge outright.

look_at_g_shred
07-04-2015, 02:26 PM
lol don't need Diaw...

DrunkTXLabrat
07-04-2015, 02:27 PM
I can see Lin happening. Pop likes high IQ players. Doesn't get much better than a Harvard grad.

If they lose Cojo, Lin at minimum would be pretty cool. He turns it over, at his worst, and drives and dimes, at his best, a lot like Manu.

elemento
Joseph is not coming back with the Aldridge signing. I doubt that he plays for the min.

Parker/Mills
Green/Manu
Kawhi/Prince/Anderson
Aldridge/West/JLC
Duncan/Diaw

That's what I expect to see in the end with a vet PG signed for the MIN as a 3rd stringer.

look_at_g_shred
If you can't go with west, id love to get seraphin

ChumpDumper
07-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Same basic result.Close to half a million difference if it's rookie scale.

DPG21920
07-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Joseph's QO will have to be rescinded to sign Aldridge outright.

Unless Tim takes less than reported 6M

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Unless Tim takes less than reported 6M

He's gotta make back that $20MM he was defrauded out of or whatever.

DPG21920
Biggest piece right now is Manu. By far. If he will play for the Room Exception, that gives the Spurs a bench of:

Mills/Manu/Anderson/Boris - at the WORST. That is still a very, very good bench compared to most of the league.

If you add a West, Amare, McGee, Livio-Charles or others, that's just mind blowingly good all things considered with a SL of Parker/Green/Kawhi/Duncan/LMA at the helm

Mr. Body
Would need one more shooter, IMO.

Shabazz
Patty is such an important piece, I think they have to do whatever it takes to keep him.

Maybe Tim will take less if the team promises to get him a T-3 Internet connection in the locker room, and a private tutor for his kids to just go on the road with him.

I love that pic of Danny in your signature.

DPG21920
07-04-2015, 02:32 PM
He's gotta make back that $20MM he was defrauded out of or whatever.

Sure, not saying it's likely, just trying to be clear for others that might not understand things as well as you. S&T is the more likely scenario with regards to keeping Cory.

If the Spurs can do that (and POR should be willing to do so now that SA has all the leverage to sign him via cap space outright) they now have the MLE and that is huge.

Shabazz
07-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Would need one more shooter, IMO.

Agreed. Gotta replace Belli.

Everyone already knows what shooter I want. But yeah, in a league that is going small and prioritizing 3's, you gotta get another shooter.

Malik Hairston
07-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Agreed. Gotta replace Belli.

Everyone already knows what shooter I want. But yeah, in a league that is going small and prioritizing 3's, you gotta get another shooter.

Ellington is the only one on the market IIRC..

Shabazz
07-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Btw.... Timmy is gonna make back his money after he retires. Big man coaches like Olajuwon make a ton of money.

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 02:35 PM
McGee is apparently being seriously targeted by the Clippers, so I think he's off the table. Not sure we'd go after someone that stupid anyways :lol

I'd obviously be happy with West, although that wouldn't really answer the backup center issue. Seraphin would be a really solid pickup for the minimum, and he's French so maybe we'd be able to snag him for cheap. I think some people are a little too hard on Amar'e - you can do much worse than him for the minimum. He's still an elite PnR big...Manu/Amar'e PnRs would be deadly.

Like DPG said, as long as Manu comes back, I think our bench will be solid at worst. What worries me is someone going down with an injury. If Manu and/or Duncan get injured and have to sit out for a substantial period of time, we could really be fucked.

NASpurs
07-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Joseph is not coming back with the Aldridge signing. I doubt that he plays for the min.

Parker/Mills
Green/Manu
Kawhi/Prince/Anderson
Aldridge/West/JLC
Duncan/Diaw

That's what I expect to see in the end with a vet PG signed for the MIN as a 3rd stringer.

It'll probably be Wolters who has NBA experience and is with the summer league team, if I'm not mistaken.

Malik Hairston
07-04-2015, 02:36 PM
The bench is going to be atrocious defensively, but shouldn't really matter, they'll probably destroy other teams offensively if West or Amare are the choices:lol..

milkyway21
07-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Isn't Reggie Williams' contract guaranteed next year? Just a general question.

Non-guaranteed..

dbestpro
07-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Wonder if Kendrick Perkins would be available for minimum. Would be a nice backup center bully.

SilverSpur
07-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Starters
1 Parker
2 Green
3 Leonard
4 Aldridge
5 Duncan

Bench
1 FA
1/2 Mills
2/3 Ginobili
3 Anderson
4 FA
4/5 Diaw
5 FA

So that mean Joseph, Bonner, Ayers and Williams are gone

CGD
07-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Isn't LJC coming over bc he can force the Spurs hand?

Also, will make summer league very interesting this year. DeShaun Thomas night have shot. Too bad Bertans go to injured; This would have been a good time for him to come. Lastly, we had to see if the Hawks sent us anything decent in the Splitter trade. Between those options and Livio you have roster slots 13-15.

Oh, and Bonner . . .

NASpurs
07-04-2015, 02:42 PM
This thread should be retitled: "If we can get him for the minimum, why not?"

07-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Absolute best case scenario:

Ginobili returns for room exception.
West signs for min.

or Ginobili retires for a few months, returns in December/Jan for the min.
West signs for room exception.

Ginobili, Mills, Diaw, West will be one hell of a bench. Spurs still need a back up SF and PG though.

Right now the Spurs bench looks pretty thin with only Diaw and Mills as the only legitimate players. The Spurs still have a lot of work to do. They only have the room exception and vet minimum to work with.

milkyway21
07-04-2015, 02:46 PM
The Spurs need to renounce their rights to Manu then re-sign him to the room mid-level exception of $2.8M.

West is still possible.

Nathan89
07-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Ellington should take a look at that contract D. Green got and realize he doesn't want to play for some shit organizations. Dude could showcase his skills in the Spurs system.

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 02:49 PM
I know a lot of people hate him, but I'm perfectly fine with bringing Bonner back for another 1-year minimum deal to be the 5th big :lol He already knows the system and can stretch the floor...I know he only shot ~37% last year from 3 (noticeably down from his career average), but that's still better than what you'll find out on the market. Stretch bigs who will play for the minimum aren't exactly a common commodity.

benstanfield
07-04-2015, 02:53 PM
We could sign Jason Terry or Jimmer :lol

NASpurs
07-04-2015, 02:55 PM
And Atlanta is just sending a pick or two, so the Spurs don't have to worry about making room for anyone, correct?

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 03:00 PM
And Atlanta is just sending a pick or two, so the Spurs don't have to worry about making room for anyone, correct?

That's the rumor. With the cap coming in $2 mil higher I think they could take back a small contract.

Shabazz
07-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Ellington should take a look at that contract D. Green got and realize he doesn't want to play for some shit organizations. Dude could showcase his skills in the Spurs system.

Spurs have to actually offer Wayne first.

eric365
07-04-2015, 03:01 PM
I'd like also a defensive C
With Splitter and Baynes gone we only have Duncan that can play that role

And it's not David West or Amare that will help on that

DPG21920
07-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Would be really nice to see what ATL is giving SA in the deal. My guess it's draft rights or maybe a pick, doubtful it's a player at this point.

Malik Hairston
07-04-2015, 03:05 PM
If Ginobili retires, it opens up a huge hole, tbh..

He was still pretty good, last year, and still by far the best playmaker on the team..really hoping he doesn't, there isn't a realistic option to replace him..

You would go from only needing another spot-up shooter and/or backup SF on the perimeter, to needing that + a playmaker(which is very difficult to find for cheap)..

jhfenton
07-04-2015, 03:05 PM
I know a lot of people hate him, but I'm perfectly fine with bringing Bonner back for another 1-year minimum deal to be the 5th big :lol He already knows the system and can stretch the floor...I know he only shot ~37% last year from 3 (noticeably down from his career average), but that's still better than what you'll find out on the market. Stretch bigs who will play for the minimum aren't exactly a common commodity.
I'm assuming that Bonner is a given. Who else could we get as a 5th big for the minimum that could actually contribute meaningfully in spot minutes? Unless we have a prospect to groom, I don't see any better alternatives.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Sure, as 5th big.

benstanfield
Could the Hawks be sending over Tavares? They signed him just after the trade was announced.

SpursFan86
Would be really nice to see what ATL is giving SA in the deal. My guess it's draft rights or maybe a pick, doubtful it's a player at this point.

Pretty sure an ATL reporter confirmed that there are no current Hawks players involved in the deal. So it's either a pick or rights to an international player.

I'm guessing there's no way it could be Tavares, unfortunately.

DPG21920
Well, just read a tweet that said West for the Room Exception is in play. Really wonder if that means Manu is gone? No way Manu plays for the min, right?

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Could the Hawks be sending over Tavares? They signed him just after the trade was announced.

Hmmm...did they sign him or just agree to terms?

Malik Hairston
07-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Well, just read a tweet that said West for the Room Exception is in play. Really wonder if that means Manu is gone? No way Manu plays for the min, right?

ElNono :( do something :(

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 03:09 PM

They couldn't have signed him during the moratorium period, right? Or does that not apply to international players?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Well, just read a tweet that said West for the Room Exception is in play. Really wonder if that means Manu is gone? No way Manu plays for the min, right?Could wink something into next season maybe.

SpursFan86

Who tweeted that? Could've just been complete speculation.

Marcus Bryant

No idea. Spurs could always give him a two year min deal, player option after year 1 and then a wink wink to sign him to a one year, say $8 mil deal next summer when the cap goes up by $20 mil.

There's probably some CBA prohibition against something like that though.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2015, 03:14 PM
No idea. Spurs could always give him a two year min deal, player option after year 1 and then a wink wink to sign him to a one year, say $8 mil deal next summer when the cap goes up by $20 mil.

There's probably some CBA prohibition against something like that though.

The CBA only prohibits multi-year contracts with a sharp increase from year to year in its terms. If he signs a one year deal at the minimum, then signs another next summer at say $8M, that's legal.

I could have sworn he's mentioned this upcoming year would be his last, though.

Nathan89
07-04-2015, 03:14 PM

He may do it if that's what is needed for the team to get West.

Bartleby
07-04-2015, 03:23 PM

They "have an agreement in place" is what I read.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 03:23 PM

They can keep Williams if they want to. He has a minimum contract, so they can just cut him and then re-sign him to the exact same deal and use that cap space.

Presumably he'd be signed using a minimum cap exception, so that would be after the fact.

LJC has a hold for 100 percent of the rookie scale for his slot in the 2013 draft. He isn't a min guy.

And don't act like it doesn't matter, seeing as we just saw the Spurs stash their pick to save almost the same amount of money.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 03:24 PM
They "have an agreement in place" is what I read.

Plans change, perhaps.

Vic Petro
07-04-2015, 03:26 PM
They could definitely use another guy bigger than 6'8" to lean on some of the true centers like Gasol, Howard etc.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 03:27 PM
And people should stop using the $6 Million figure for Duncan. That was based on a rumor based on speculation. We have no idea what Tim is willing to play for and what the team is planning on doing to accommodate that. What seems clear to me, though, is that they're planning on holding onto Cory in hopes of securing a sign-and-trade in the first least. They seem willing to renounce Tim, so they can wait for a quite a while, or perhaps convince Cory to take the room exception if Manu doesn't come back. I imagine there'd be a couple of teams interested in Cory and willing to give a small asset to secure him.

Malik Hairston
07-04-2015, 03:28 PM
And people should stop using the $6 Million figure for Duncan. That was based on a rumor based on speculation. We have no idea what Tim is willing to play for and what the team is planning on doing to accommodate that. What seems clear to me, though, is that they're planning on holding onto Cory in hopes of securing a sign-and-trade in the first least. They seem willing to renounce Tim, so they can wait for a quite a while, or perhaps convince Cory to take the room exception if Manu doesn't come back. I imagine there'd be a couple of teams interested in Cory and willing to give a small asset to secure him.

I would imagine Cory is the only semi-realistic Manu replacement on the market, though, tbh..

Obviously nowhere near the playmaker, but they're going to need a combo guard(which Joseph could be, physically) if Manu is out..

elemento
07-04-2015, 03:28 PM
It'll probably be Wolters who has NBA experience and is with the summer league team, if I'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't mind him

He is a smart player, great size for a PG and he is a good shooter. Feel that he never had fair chance in the NBA.

TheGoldStandard
07-04-2015, 03:29 PM

I would be floored if Duncan took like 3M to play.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 03:32 PM
LJC has a hold for 100 percent of the rookie scale for his slot in the 2013 draft. He isn't a min guy.

And don't act like it doesn't matter, seeing as we just saw the Spurs stash their pick to save almost the same amount of money.

When did his last contract end?

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Think Alan Anderson would play for the minimum? I'd prefer Ellington, but Anderson wouldn't be terrible IMO.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 03:36 PM
I would imagine Cory is the only semi-realistic Manu replacement on the market, though, tbh..

Obviously nowhere near the playmaker, but they're going to need a combo guard(which Joseph could be, physically) if Manu is out..

Yeah, I think they'd wanna keep him. If Manu's done, they probably already offered Cory the room exception (which is pretty much the same as his QO), probably with an option to return to free agency next off-season, when the Spurs would still have his full Bird rights. But there is upside in my opinion to offering a five-year deal starting at $5 Million. Would give him plenty of time to grow into his game and eventually take over for Parker in three years.

Along those lines, the roster is shaping up for the Spurs to actually bring over their first-rounder this season. They have a need for spot minutes at the five, even though they'll almost certainly secure a vet to lock down that spot. I don't see Cady taken that role but Milutinov might.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Think Alan Anderson would play for the minimum? I'd prefer Ellington, but Anderson wouldn't be terrible IMO.

I agree, I saw his name on the list a few hours ago, wouldn't mind him, at all..

TheGoldStandard

I think he's playing at the vet min right now for Brooklyn or was rather.. I think we could talk him into a deal for vet min for 1 season and then reup if he fit in at a better deal. Alan and Ellington are both ideal because they were consummate pros in Brooklyn and LA and we all know how much of a shitfest that was..

Chinook
When did his last contract end?

Last contract? In France? I don't know if it's even over yet.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 03:38 PM

Doubt it. Anderson had a really good year last year, to the point that he opted out of his deal with the Nets. Maybe he just wanted to be on a different team, but he strikes me as a room-exception guy more than a min guy.

TheGoldStandard
07-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Doubt it. Anderson had a really good year last year, to the point that he opted out of his deal with the Nets. Maybe he just wanted to be on a different team, but he strikes me as a room-exception guy more than a min guy.

Let's hope he just didn't want to deal with the shitty nets

hsxvvd
07-04-2015, 03:39 PM
We'd have to be a strong player for the buy out market now too

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Last contract? In France? I don't know if it's even over yet.

If not there is no hold.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2015, 03:41 PM
We'd have to be a strong player for the buy out market now tooThis is true. Maybe just fill up with young scrubs in the meantime.

jhfenton

I agree that we don't know what Tim is going to play for, but they can hardly renounce him. That would really limit their options. They can take their time a bit this week to work on the remaining pieces.

Marcus Bryant

Probably should start putting together that list.

dbestpro
07-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Imagine the scowls if the Spurs could sign West and Perkins to minimum contracts for the bench.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 03:42 PM

This is another reason I'd rather go with younger guys, right now, rather than signing washed-up scrubs like Butler or Prince..

Give younger guys a chance for the first half of the season, and if a vet that still has some game gets bought out in February or whenever, sign him up..

Chinook
07-04-2015, 03:43 PM
If not there is no hold.

Yeah, there is. Because a buyout is a player's choice, not a team's choice. So if LJC wants to play for the Spurs, he can accept his tender even if the Spurs don't help with a buyout (which is at best negligible, because LJC signed for Parker's team specifically to be pipelined to the Spurs). Moveover, this is the final year he's able to get the two guaranteed years. He's coming over, and the Spurs need to account for his hold.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Imagine the scowls if the Spurs could sign West and Perkins to minimum contracts for the bench.

Perkins? Why?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Imagine the scowls if the Spurs could sign West and Perkins to minimum contracts for the bench.A little pipe dreamy. Once that fourth big spot is filled I don't see other decent vets clamoring for the fifth spot for basically no pay.

dbestpro
Perkins? Why? It's always nice to have a bully come in of the bench. Need a backup center, and he would fit that mold.

Chinook
I agree that we don't know what Tim is going to play for, but they can hardly renounce him. That would really limit their options. They can take their time a bit this week to work on the remaining pieces.

Renouncing Tim is a good thing, because it allows them to use that cap space on whatever they want during the off-season. They'll have to do so or give him a new contract in five days if they want to sign LMA. Leaving that hold is not an option outside of a sign-and-trade.

TheGoldStandard
Perkins? Why?

Someone's gotta wash LaMarcus car

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Yeah, there is. Because a buyout is a player's choice, not a team's choice. So if LJC wants to play for the Spurs, he can accept his tender even if the Spurs don't help with a buyout (which is at best negligible, because LJC signed for Parker's team specifically to be pipelined to the Spurs). Moveover, this is the final year he's able to get the two guaranteed years. He's coming over, and the Spurs need to account for his hold.

It counts once his contract ends.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Renouncing Tim is a good thing, because it allows them to use that cap space on whatever they want during the off-season. They'll have to do so or give him a new contract in five days if they want to sign LMA. Leaving that hold is not an option outside of a sign-and-trade.But they would have to use cap space to re-sign Tim and that would restart the clock on any Bird rights scheme to pay him more down the line.

I don't see the advantage.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 03:48 PM
But they would have to use cap space to re-sign Tim and that would restart the clock on any Bird rights scheme to pay him more down the line.

I don't see the advantage.

No, that's not how it works. Bird right only reset if a player signs on with another team. Renouncing doesn't eliminate that.

Ocotillo
07-04-2015, 03:48 PM
I would imagine one of the things LMA wanted cleared up when he had the second meeting with Pop was what was the plan for filling out the roster. I'd like to know what he was told.

SpursFanInAustin
07-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Nazr Mohammed as that 5th big to use up fouls on Gasol and Howard?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2015, 03:52 PM
No, that's not how it works. Bird right only reset if a player signs on with another team. Renouncing doesn't eliminate that.Ok, so what is the advantage if he still has to be signed with cap room?

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Milutinov is in SA, fwiw (probably nothing). Wonder if there's any chance at all he ends up coming over this season. Guessing not.

jhfenton
07-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Renouncing Tim is a good thing, because it allows them to use that cap space on whatever they want during the off-season. They'll have to do so or give him a new contract in five days if they want to sign LMA. Leaving that hold is not an option outside of a sign-and-trade.
I see what you're saying. Renounce him, but still sign him under cap space before they ink Kawhi and DG. You're right.

Or sign him first. I don't see that it matters.

TheGoldStandard
07-04-2015, 03:54 PM

Milutinov is in SA, fwiw (probably nothing). Wonder if there's any chance at all he ends up coming over this season. Guessing not.

He needed to get evaluated as well as go through all the logistics of what they plan for him but it could very well mean that he could end up being at camp this season and making the team. They need a big

Chinook
07-04-2015, 03:55 PM
It counts once his contract ends.

Again, no.

From the CBA FAQ:

An unsigned first round pick is removed from team salary if the team and player both agree in writing not to sign any contract through the following June 30.

You have to guarantee it for a year, not just at the moment.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Ok, so what is the advantage if he still has to be signed with cap room?

They can use that cap space on Joseph's QO/hold, which forces teams to engage the Spurs in a sign-and-trade. Then they can renounce him and either sign him to the room exception or let him go. It's not a bad deal.

Mikeanaro
07-04-2015, 03:58 PM
No Rin please, thanks.

ChumpDumper
They can use that cap space on Joseph's QO/hold, which forces teams to engage the Spurs in a sign-and-trade.That doesn't force other teams to do anything.
Then they can renounce him and either sign him to the room exception or let him go. It's not a bad deal.Currently the plan seems to be signing another big with the room exception.

There are lots of moving parts here but if LA's deal is set, they can work with the timing of that and other deals to maximize potential space. I don't see how renouncing anyone they want to keep achieves that though -- except Manu I guess. But i know fuck all about the cap anymore.

Marcus Bryant
Nazr Mohammed as that 5th big to use up fouls on Gasol and Howard?

Something like that. What matters more in a 5th big, ability to spread the floor or dole out punishment?

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Something like that. What matters more in a 5th big, ability to spread the floor or dole out punishment?

I'd rather just keep Bonner as 5th big, tbh, doesn't seem like he's ready to retire..

ElNono
07-04-2015, 04:00 PM
ElNono :( do something :(

:lol still waiting here... maybe Manu for the vet min?

Mr. Body
07-04-2015, 04:00 PM
This is the first year I've ever actively wanted Bonner on the team.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 04:01 PM
That doesn't force other teams to do anything.

If they want Joseph when the Spurs still have his QO, they have to engage in a sign-and-trade to get him for sure. No one knows what Tim is willing to play for, so the Spurs matching Cory is really possible. It may discourage offers altogether, which would allow the Spurs to use the room exception on him later in the off-season.

Currently the plan seems to be signing another big with the room exception.

Have they said that? The only news I've heard is that they wanted West for the min.

ElNono
07-04-2015, 04:02 PM
I was under the impression the Spurs can sign Manu even if they go over the cap... isn't that what Bird rights are for?

Chinook
07-04-2015, 04:04 PM
I was under the impression the Spurs can sign Manu even if they go over the cap... isn't that what Bird rights are for?

There's very chance they'll reup Manu with Bird rights. Those come with cap holds, which would make it pretty hard to sign LMA and keep everyone together.

jhfenton
07-04-2015, 04:05 PM

They would have to be under the cap including Manu's cap hold. Renouncing Manu to clear his cap hold, eliminates the Bird rights. Leaving the vet min or RE.

ElNono
07-04-2015, 04:06 PM
There's very chance they'll reup Manu with Bird rights. Those come with cap holds, which would make it pretty hard to sign LMA and keep everyone together.

They would have to be under the cap including Manu's cap hold. Renouncing Manu to clear his cap hold, eliminates the Bird rights. Leaving the vet min or RE.

thanks

TD 21
07-04-2015, 04:07 PM
From a sheer talent standpoint, even in decline, West is clearly better than any actual C they could sign for the veteran's minimum, so if they can get him, particularly at that price, then obviously is makes sense.

But I doubt it. Not only financially would that be almost unheard of, but role wise, he'd have to be a fourth big and play some C.

Reminds me of Gasol, a year ago. If all things were relatively equal, I have no doubt he'd pick the Spurs. Given that they're not, I'd be surprised if he doesn't pick the Wizards.

On some of the names thrown around in this thread . . .

Alan Anderson, despite having the typical Spurs role player story, doesn't strike me as a Spur, both in personality/game. Plus, in this financial climate, I can't see him not easily exceeding the minimum and given how little he's made in his career, I doubt he leaves anything on the table.

Ellington does strike me as a Spur, but I don't see how he doesn't get at least 3M annually and he hasn't made that much either, so I doubt he turns that down.

Wolters may well be a 3rd PG candidate, but he can't shoot.

I still think Jenkins and now Freeland, are strong possibilities.

manufan10
07-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Ray Allen seems to be a popular choice on Twitter.

TheGoldStandard
07-04-2015, 04:08 PM

No thanks.. been out of the league for a full season.. Wouldn't be ready for anything

Chinook
07-04-2015, 04:09 PM

Yes. I wouldn't be surprised at all of hear of Joe Johnson coming over. Also don't forget that ring-chasers tend to carry large minimum salaries, so three oldies that sign on this summer can be combined with a pick to take back up to $6 Million in salary. Pretty nifty.

TheGoldStandard
07-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Yes. I wouldn't be surprised at all of hear of Joe Johnson coming over. Also don't forget that ring-chasers tend to carry large minimum salaries, so three oldies that sign on this summer can be combined with a pick to take back up to $6 Million in salary. Pretty nifty.

That would be crazy intriguing

baseline bum
07-04-2015, 05:01 PM
From a sheer talent standpoint, even in decline, West is clearly better than any actual C they could sign for the veteran's minimum, so if they can get him, particularly at that price, then obviously is makes sense.

But I doubt it. Not only financially would that be almost unheard of, but role wise, he'd have to be a fourth big and play some C.

Reminds me of Gasol, a year ago. If all things were relatively equal, I have no doubt he'd pick the Spurs. Given that they're not, I'd be surprised if he doesn't pick the Wizards.

On some of the names thrown around in this thread . . .

Alan Anderson, despite having the typical Spurs role player story, doesn't strike me as a Spur, both in personality/game. Plus, in this financial climate, I can't see him not easily exceeding the minimum and given how little he's made in his career, I doubt he leaves anything on the table.

Ellington does strike me as a Spur, but I don't see how he doesn't get at least 3M annually and he hasn't made that much either, so I doubt he turns that down.

Wolters may well be a 3rd PG candidate, but he can't shoot.

I still think Jenkins and now Freeland, are strong possibilities.

It's probably Cavs or Spurs. Wizards just went and reupped Gooden. The Cavs could easily offer the most money since they can do a sign and trade with Haywood to Indiana, but with how jammed their 4/5 positions are with Love, Mozgov, Thompson, and Varejao, I'd have to think they'd look at adding a swing as their first option with Brenda's deal.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 05:06 PM
It's probably Cavs or Spurs. Wizards just went and reupped Gooden. The Cavs could easily offer the most money since they can do a sign and trade with Haywood to Indiana, but with how jammed their 4/5 positions are with Love, Mozgov, Thompson, and Varejao, I'd have to think they'd look at adding a swing as their first option with Brenda's deal.

Yeah, assuming health for their bigman rotation and Irving, their 2/3 depth needs to be upgraded.

bluebellmaniac
07-04-2015, 05:12 PM
After the train wreck of being on the Lakers roster and the traumatizing experience and abuse at the hands of Kirby, we could sell Lin on redemption and so he can prove that he can be a championship caliber player. He has a great BBIQ and thanks to the Rockets contract, he has made enough that he could take a 2 yr deal at min or RE with an opt out after one year and re-up when the cap goes up. There is a lot in it for him. It would be a smart move and he is a cerebral kind of guy.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 05:13 PM

Cavs aren't allowed to sign and trade, as they're above the apron. Can use the mini-MLE, though.

baseline bum
07-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Cavs aren't allowed to sign and trade, as they're above the apron. Can use the mini-MLE, though.

Nice. But Mini-MLE? I didn't know taxpayers could have that.

DPG21920
07-04-2015, 05:40 PM

Ya - it's called the tax payers MLE or mini.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 05:41 PM

That's the only one they get. $10M/3ish instead of $22M/4 or whatever.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 05:43 PM
After the train wreck of being on the Lakers roster and the traumatizing experience and abuse at the hands of Kirby, we could sell Lin on redemption and so he can prove that he can be a championship caliber player. He has a great BBIQ and thanks to the Rockets contract, he has made enough that he could take a 2 yr deal at min or RE with an opt out after one year and re-up when the cap goes up. There is a lot in it for him. It would be a smart move and he is a cerebral kind of guy.

That could also be the Spurs' angle. West seems to fit that mold as well, willing to do a small deal for one year and make it up wink wink on the back end.

Agloco
07-04-2015, 06:30 PM

:lol

CGD
07-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Good stuff in here. Thx to the cap pros.

So by my count LJC is a sure thing, but how about the Serbian kid they just drafted? Is it even possible to sign him under these conditions?

Also, are the Spurs able to sign anyone that impresses in summer league, for example, Thomas? Is there money for that?

jhfenton
07-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Good stuff in here. Thx to the cap pros.

So by my count LJC is a sure thing, but how about the Serbian kid they just drafted? Is it even possible to sign him under these conditions?

Also, are the Spurs able to sign anyone that impresses in summer league, for example, Thomas? Is there money for that?

If they plan to bring in either Milutinov or LJC, it will cost $991,600 against the cap for each. They can release a draft pick hold with a mutual acknowledgment that they won't bring that player in that season. But if they want either one this season, they'll have to work the Aldridge signing and Duncan signing with that player's draft cap hold in place.

Like you said, I think LJC is likely.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 07:50 PM
If they plan to bring in either Milutinov or LJC, it will cost $991,600 against the cap for each. They can release a draft pick hold with a mutual acknowledgment that they won't bring that player in that season. But if they want either one this season, they'll have to work the Aldridge signing and Duncan signing with that player's draft cap hold in place.

Like you said, I think LJC is likely.

It's actually that amount minus $525k (which is already being charged to the team as a minimum roster charge). Also, LJC's full hold is closer to $800k because he was picked at lower spot in the draft. So both combined only take up about $800k in cap space. Pretty cheap for guys who could be fringe rotation players and see PT during the dog days of the season.

elemento
07-04-2015, 08:16 PM
It's actually that amount minus $525k (which is already being charged to the team as a minimum roster charge). Also, LJC's full hold is closer to $800k because he was picked at lower spot in the draft. So both combined only take up about $800k in cap space. Pretty cheap for guys who could be fringe rotation players and see PT during the dog days of the season.

Saw the contract that O'Quinn got Chino ? Huge steal.

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 08:24 PM

Yes please

Beaverfuzz
07-04-2015, 08:26 PM

With who, your knitting circle? :lol :bobo

Beaverfuzz
07-04-2015, 08:27 PM

Are you fucking stupid? Matt Barnes or Mo Williams? Both are career cancers.

tholdren
07-04-2015, 08:28 PM
what about Unrestricted FA like Emeka Okafor or Luis Scola? They would be defensive minded, and able to rebound? Okafor plays center.

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Scola and defensive minded don't belong in the same sentence, tbh :lol

tholdren
07-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Scola and defensive minded don't belong in the same sentence, tbh :lol
that's not true. Scola hustles, and bodies players up, and has active hands.

CGD
07-04-2015, 08:37 PM

Interesting, thx. Seems like good value to me for the 5th big and 3rd string SF.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Saw the contract that O'Quinn got Chino ? Huge steal.

Gigantic. Would love to have had him on the Spurs for that.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 08:47 PM
I wonder if the Spurs had any interest in O'Quinn..he seemed like a good potential fit and Borrego coached him, too..

Could it have been a financial issue? Saving any potential money for West or Joseph if Manu retires?

jhfenton
07-04-2015, 09:02 PM
:toast You're right, the net increase is ~$400K per over the minimum roster charge.

Andthentherewas21
07-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Gigantic. Would love to have had him on the Spurs for that.

Knicks got a great deal there. I thought he would be getting deals around the MLE range.

Uriel
07-04-2015, 09:36 PM

Parker/Mills
Green/Manu
Kawhi/Prince/Anderson
Aldridge/West/JLC
Duncan/Diaw

JLC? You mean LJC, right? :lol Also, you forgot about Bonner.

Uriel
07-04-2015, 09:42 PM
This is how I project the Spurs' Depth Chart to look next season (best case scenario):

PG: Parker / Mills
SG: Green / Ginobili
SF: Leonard / Prince or Butler / Anderson
PF: Aldridge / West / Jean-Charles
C: Duncan / Diaw / Stoudemire or Boozer / Bonner

That leaves a roster spot for a summer league invite / D-League prospect / veteran waived at the buyout deadline.

Russ
07-04-2015, 09:44 PM

Bonner might have to be an assistant coach.

Also, the second round pick may be a better big than LJC at this point -- they can sort that out during the Summer League.

elemento
07-04-2015, 09:47 PM

For some reason I thought Jean Livio Charles instead of LJC :lol

And please hell no to Bonner.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Also, the second round pick may be a better big than LJC at this point -- they can sort that out during the Summer League.

LaLanne being better than LJC won't keep LJC from the roster. Dude has two years of guaranteed money. If the Spurs insisted on keeping Bonner, they'd do everything they could to get LaLanne to go overseas for a year. This can all be for naught if LJC shows that he can play the three, though. I don't think the Spurs are going to bring in a vet who can't play the two, seeing as that's the shallowest position on the team (or would be in your scenario).

BackHome
07-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Well he tried the three this year and failed so have fingers crossed.

Russ
07-04-2015, 09:56 PM
I don't think the Spurs are going to bring in a vet who can't play the two, seeing as that's the shallowest position on the team (or would be in your scenario).

The backcourt looks thin at this point. Not a lot of speed unless TP comes back strong (especially if they use Anderson in the mix). It's a good thing they kept Mills.

apalisoc_9
07-04-2015, 09:58 PM
With an aging Manu, this team really needs another playmaker.

Maybe they'er planning to integrate Leonard or Joseph as a playmaker/ballhander, I don't know...But the spurs are thin..really thin in the Playmaking department..Specially with an aging Manu and we already know the deal with parker.

Russ
07-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Well he tried the three this year and failed so have fingers crossed.

Is there any indication from anywhere that Livio Jean Charles can play?

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 10:00 PM
With an aging Manu, this team really needs another playmaker.

Maybe they'er planning to integrate Leonard or Joseph as a playmaker/ballhander, I don't know...But the spurs are thin..really thin in the Playmaking department..Specially with an aging Manu and we already know the deal with parker.

There's an outside chance KA could be a bench playmaker next year. Boris can handle those duties occasionally as well. But yeah, if Manu retires or gets injured, our bench could really be fucked.

timtonymanu
07-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Kosta Koufos just signed with the Kings.

There goes that.

apalisoc_9
07-04-2015, 10:01 PM
I wonder how the spurs will generate ball movement now with Manu possibly playing even less minutes and Parker being terrible.

They really need to start trusting Leonard on the PnR, that or they need to get another guard that can provide PnR offense.

Russ
07-04-2015, 10:01 PM

There goes that.

Anyone named Kosta Koufos can't be any good.

apalisoc_9
07-04-2015, 10:03 PM
There's an outside chance KA could be a bench playmaker next year. Boris can handle those duties occasionally as well. But yeah, if Manu retires or gets injured, our bench could really be fucked.

Anderson is terrible. His shot is slow.

Leonard-Jospeh-Mills are all better PnR players...

You don't rely on a nobody to play an integral part of the system...You just don't..Specially if you have tittle aspirations.

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 10:03 PM

There goes that.

Us getting him was basically a pipedream...I knew he'd get paid. He got $33 million over 4 years - no way we could've afforded that.

People are going to have to accept that whoever we get likely isn't going to be too good. It's hard enough to find quality bigs...becomes even harder when you're only working with minimum contracts.

apalisoc_9
07-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Seriously, Manu retiring or not is = winning a championship or not...He's that important.

timtonymanu
07-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Us getting him was basically a pipedream...I knew he'd get paid. He got $33 million over 4 years - no way we could've afforded that.

People are going to have to accept that whoever we get likely isn't going to be too good. It's hard enough to find quality bigs...becomes even harder when you're only working with minimum contracts.

Oh yeah, I agree he's too expensive at this point. I just remember he was on a lot of people's radar.

Russ
07-04-2015, 10:07 PM

He averaged 5.2 points and 3.8 rebounds last year and it's not like he's improving (9 years in the league).

apalisoc_9
I'm acutally surprised fans aren't seeing a major issue/hole in the guard position..

after aldridge acquisition, that should be the next step.

Chinook
What about Jeff Withey? I remember the guy doing some nice things with the Pelicans. They didn't tender him because they handed out so much money to their front court (like $230 Million to their top four bigs). But their loss could be the Spurs' gain. His per-36 numbers last season were 14/9/2/1/3. 17.6 PER. I'll take that for the min or close to it. A one-year deal wouldn't be horrible, because the Spurs would have matching rights next off-season.

Mr. Body
07-04-2015, 10:08 PM
I'm acutally surprised fans aren't seeing a major issue/hole in the guard position..

Maybe if you'd read threads you'd see it?

tholdren
07-04-2015, 10:09 PM

no big deal, we have KL, he can do anything.

jesterbobman
07-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Great deal for the Knicks.

For the Spurs, I'd expect Tim at $5m (potentially with some "unlikely" bonuses merged in, and exact deal depends upon cap), LJC signed, Manu renounced (Room) then LMA, Kawhi, Green signed, CoJo moves on.

Remaining Spots
For a 5th wing, It's either some kind of Weems/ Ellington option, or release then resign Williams is the best we can do.

3rd PG I'd look at Donald Sloan, Nate Wolters, Huertas or anyone the Spurs like - Slim pickings for a 3rd PG.

Bigs seems to be West/ Seraphin. I'd imagine some Anderson at PF, which fills in some minutes. Need a back up 5, though that could just be West (Not a 5, but he's better than any min C FA)

Russ
07-04-2015, 10:18 PM
For the Spurs, I'd expect Tim at $5m (potentially with some "unlikely" bonuses merged in, and exact deal depends upon cap),

Duncan is underpaid at $15 million, really underpaid at $10 million and $5 million is just ridiculous.

But that seems to be where we're headed. Duncan must be going for sainthood.

Seventyniner
07-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Duncan is underpaid at $15 million, really underpaid at $10 million and $5 million is just ridiculous.

But that seems to be where we're headed. Duncan must be going for sainthood.

Forget saint, Duncan is a fucking GOD.

Chinook
07-04-2015, 10:23 PM
What about Jeff Withey? I remember the guy doing some nice things with the Pelicans. They didn't tender him because they handed out so much money to their front court (like $230 Million to their top four bigs). But their loss could be the Spurs' gain. His per-36 numbers last season were 14/9/2/1/3. 17.6 PER. I'll take that for the min or close to it. A one-year deal wouldn't be horrible, because the Spurs would have matching rights next off-season.

Actually he was tendered by NO, but that QO was rescinded after the splurge occurred. Looks like a shot-blocker with a bit of an offensive game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLYAOcZTrXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKoKBO60LlA

jesterbobman
07-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Yeah, didn't think it was realistic until recently. He deserves more, though that's the easiest way to see the big pieces all coming together. Unlikely bonuses were trying to think of things he didn't do last year (thus, unlikely) though might in 15/16 to give his salary a bump. I don't think I've made a mistake in understanding of how that impacts on the cap.

For example, Tim Duncan gets a bonus if he blocks 2 or more shots per game. He blocked 151 in 77 games last year, so it's unlikely, though he could get 2 a game. I doubt he really cares about the extra 500k that'd be tacked on though.

Other option would be the S&T to Portland (Inc Baynes, Splitter as outgoing in 4 way, Odd assets to other teams to participate) so you could pay TD more.

bluebellmaniac
07-04-2015, 11:16 PM

Actually, I've mentioned that. The dream scenario is signing Lin for the RE or min with an opt out after 1 year then pay him the second + years.

Sup TimVP!!!

Beaverfuzz
07-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Actually, I've mentioned that. The dream scenario is signing Lin for the RE or min with an opt out after 1 year then pay him the second + years.

Sup TimVP!!!

No FUCKING LIN!

bluebellmaniac
07-04-2015, 11:21 PM
No FUCKING LIN!
Why? He'd be another key to another championship. Tired of hanging banners?

heyheymymy
07-04-2015, 11:23 PM
4th and 5th big, filler guard and 3rd string PG are the needs

jesterbobman
07-04-2015, 11:24 PM
On Withey: Kind of depends on if Tavares is part of the Tiago deal. Two massive C only players at the end of the roster is odd.

If Hawks got Tavares to have Tavares, I'd be fine with Withey. He's competent, which is good for the minimum.

djohn14
07-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Give me West or Seraphin..and a Delfino or Ellington. Bring back Manu and bring over LJC (Assuming he just dosent fucking suck in the summer league), and fille out the rest with With our second rounder...Cady something (drunk as fuck right now), and other young players.

bluebellmaniac
07-04-2015, 11:37 PM
I like this dream roster / depth chart:

PG: Parker / Lin / Mills
SG: Green / Ginobili / Mills
SF: Leonard / K Anderson / LJC (if he can handle the SF position)
PF: Aldridge / West / Diaw
C: Duncan / Diaw / Bonner (min + fully non-guaranteed so we can cut him if a true C becomes available or as needed)

That is 13 roster spots with room for the buy-out market for a true center.
Bolded are players for whom we'd need to come to an agreement.

Darkwaters
07-04-2015, 11:45 PM
I'm warming on the Jeremy Lin idea. Hes definitely a flawed player...but for such a cheap contract its hard to object. And the pickings are definitely slim. But he'd be a solid enough option I think.

I think Livio Jean-Charles is probably in the mix also, however.

RD2191
07-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Lin is a scrub. Don't need him or his delusional fans anywhere near the Spurs.

Beaverfuzz
07-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Why? He'd be another key to another championship. Tired of hanging banners?

Key to what, the janitor's closet? He's fucking terrible.

Beaverfuzz
07-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Lin is a scrub. Don't need him or his delusional fans anywhere near the Spurs.

A Fucking men

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Lin is someone maybe worth looking at if Manu retires. He gets irrational hate (most likely due to all the attention he's gotten despite not being anything too special), but he's really not a bad player. He's only effective with the ball in his hands though, so I don't see him fitting well alongside Manu. Plus, I don't think he'd sign for the minimum anyways. I also saw that Dallas was having talks with him, and I'm sure he'd rather go there and start if he were to take a smaller deal. No way he comes here, so I'd get that out of your head.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 11:53 PM
^^ If the Spurs lose Ginobili, I'd rather find a way to keep Joseph rather than get Lin, since money wouldn't be the issue if we're assuming Lin would agree to join SA..

They have a similar style of play, Joseph has more potential, too, just has to find his balls..

RD2191
07-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Key to what, the janitor's closet? He's fucking terrible.
:lmao

FireMicoHalili
07-04-2015, 11:58 PM
Way I see it, team needs a backup center to replace Baynes and another shooter to replace Belinelli. They're going to need some pieces to replace Ayres (LaLanne helps in this regard), a shooting big to replace Bonner, and possibly a cheap PG to replace Joseph if they renounce him. My personal choices are:

Backup C:
Kevin Seraphin
Boban Marjanovic
Greg Smith
Joel Freeland
Bernard James

SG/Shooter:
Alan Anderson
Omri Casspi
Carlos Delfino
Marcus Thornton
John Jenkins

Ayres replacement:
Cady LaLanne
Kevin Seraphin
Greg Smith
Joel Freeland
Quincy Acy

Shooting big:
Andrea Bargnani
Chris Copeland
Jason Smith
Matt Bonner
Jonas Jerebko

Joseph replacement:
Donald Sloan
Bryce Cotton
Marcelo Huertas
Nate Wolters
Will Cherry

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2015, 12:02 AM
My preferences:

1. Manu
2. West
3. Joseph
4. Seraphin
5. Anderson/Ellington

Darkwaters
07-05-2015, 12:02 AM
If you're just wanting to replace Ayres with another PF I'd put LJC on there. Strong chance he comes over this year and he'll be just another combo forward thats still developing wing skills.

And do you really think Bryce Cotton is in the running at all? The team had a free shot at him last year and totally passed.

SpursFan86
07-05-2015, 12:03 AM
^^ If the Spurs lose Ginobili, I'd rather find a way to keep Joseph rather than get Lin, since money wouldn't be the issue if we're assuming Lin would agree to join SA..

They have a similar style of play, Joseph has more potential, too, just has to find his balls..

That's true. I'd definitely rather keep Joseph rather than add Lin.

But yeah, CoJo is frustrating...dude balls the fuck out at times and look like he's capable of being a solid starting PG, and then at other times he gets super passive and plays like he doesn't even belong in the rotation. I hope we find some way to keep him even if Manu does return though.

FireMicoHalili
07-05-2015, 12:04 AM
If you're just wanting to replace Ayres with another PF I'd put LJC on there. Strong chance he comes over this year and he'll be just another combo forward thats still developing wing skills.

And do you really think Bryce Cotton is in the running at all? The team had a free shot at him last year and totally passed.
Like I said, it's a personal list. No one's stopping you from making your own.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2015, 12:05 AM
Joseph typically plays a lot better when he's without Manu or Parker, tbh..when he's asked to create and be aggressive, he thrives, but when he plays with Ginobili or Parker, he becomes frightened, for whatever reason..

Lin actually has a similar problem with playing off the ball..it's not fear, with him, he's just largely useless without it, and his fans will rant about it for months like they did about Harden, Carmelo and Kobe:lol..

Beaverfuzz
07-05-2015, 12:06 AM
Lin is someone maybe worth looking at if Manu retires. He gets irrational hate (most likely due to all the attention he's gotten despite not being anything too special), but he's really not a bad player. He's only effective with the ball in his hands though, so I don't see him fitting well alongside Manu. Plus, I don't think he'd sign for the minimum anyways. I also saw that Dallas was having talks with him, and I'm sure he'd rather go there and start if he were to take a smaller deal. No way he comes here, so I'd get that out of your head.

No, he's fucking garbage. His agent is the smartest man in the business though, how he ever got that big contract from the Knicks, I'll never know.

I'll take Manu in a wheelchair over Lin.

SpursFan86
07-05-2015, 12:10 AM
No, he's fucking garbage. His agent is the smartest man in the business though, how he ever got that big contract from the Knicks, I'll never know.

I'll take Manu in a wheelchair over Lin.

See, for every Lin fanboy who drastically overrates him and rabidly defends him, there are people like you who think he's absolutely worthless and doesn't belong anywhere near an NBA team. He's not THAT bad. He has his uses, and can be a decent bench guard who brings some offense to the 2nd unit. Like I said though, he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He's worthless off-ball.

Regardless, he's not coming here so we have nothing to worry about.

kobyz
07-05-2015, 03:20 AM
PG i want Gal Mekel, could be add for the minimum, will give more of a pure PG option than Mills of the bench, good size, take care of the ball, finding people in their spots and solid defender, could be surprise, maybe matthew dellavedova type value(mavs still pay him after buying his 3 years contract)... Big position of course i want to succeed with West, but if not I'll take one of Amare, Evans or Perkins... The wing position that's when it start to be a problem to find the right fit, some of the options are Manu, Casspi, Caron Butler, Rasul Butler, Ellington, Alen Anderson, those are more of a fourth wing options, not sure if they third wing level type players...

FireMicoHalili
07-05-2015, 03:24 AM
Art Parakhouski would be a solid pick-up. Andrew Goudelock has been doing well in the Euroleague too. Jeremy Pargo has been a Spurs target for a while now.

tesseractive
07-05-2015, 03:25 AM
Question: how does LJC work with the cap? Can he be zero cap hold when we sign LMA, and then go on the cap when we bring him over later, or does he have to squeeze into the cap all along for us to be able to bring him in?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-05-2015, 03:30 AM
LJC as a former first still gets a hold. That hold has to be renounced by an agreement that he not sign until next summer in order to get $19m under the cap.

kobyz
07-05-2015, 03:32 AM
Art Parakhouski would be a solid pick-up. Andrew Goudelock has been doing well in the Euroleague too. Jeremy Pargo has been a Spurs target for a while now.
Pargo have sign in china for 2 mil...

ceperez
07-05-2015, 07:33 AM
I'm warming on the Jeremy Lin idea. Hes definitely a flawed player...but for such a cheap contract its hard to object. And the pickings are definitely slim. But he'd be a solid enough option I think.

If the team can't get Ginobili back, then Lin has got to be in the team.

Spurs need good offensive execution. Diaw and Ginobili have been providing that. I'm not sure what Parker does. Cojo is unable to figure it out. Anderson is the next best.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 07:35 AM

If the team can't get Ginobili back, then Lin has got to be in the team.

Spurs need good offensive execution. Diaw and Ginobili have been providing that. I'm not sure what Parker does. Cojo is unable to figure it out. Anderson is the next best.

Lin cannot thrive without an organized offense.... he has below average athletic talent.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Way I see it, team needs a backup center to replace Baynes and another shooter to replace Belinelli. They're going to need some pieces to replace Ayres (LaLanne helps in this regard), a shooting big to replace Bonner, and possibly a cheap PG to replace Joseph if they renounce him. My personal choices are:

Backup C:
Kevin Seraphin
Boban Marjanovic
Greg Smith
Joel Freeland
Bernard James

SG/Shooter:
Alan Anderson
Omri Casspi
Carlos Delfino
Marcus Thornton
John Jenkins

Ayres replacement:
Cady LaLanne
Kevin Seraphin
Greg Smith
Joel Freeland
Quincy Acy

Shooting big:
Andrea Bargnani
Chris Copeland
Jason Smith
Matt Bonner
Jonas Jerebko

Joseph replacement:
Donald Sloan
Bryce Cotton
Marcelo Huertas
Nate Wolters
Will Cherry

Not to sold on Seraphin... I also don't think he'll come in cheap.

I like Alan Anderson, but I think he isn;t cheap either.

Bargnani is intriguing... but again... I doublt he's cheap.

What do you think about Jarrel Eddie?

ceperez
07-05-2015, 07:40 AM

See, for every Lin fanboy who drastically overrates him and rabidly defends him, there are people like you who think he's absolutely worthless and doesn't belong anywhere near an NBA team. He's not THAT bad. He has his uses, and can be a decent bench guard who brings some offense to the 2nd unit. Like I said though, he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He's worthless off-ball.

Regardless, he's not coming here so we have nothing to worry about.

I agree ... worthless off-ball. Effective if he is orchestrating the offense. I think it is the same with Kyle Anderson, seems to be almost worthless off-ball.

Chinook
07-05-2015, 07:53 AM
I also, I'm pretty sure they can see Hibbert to the Spurs from space. I think like with LMA, he really wants to be in SA, and he would love to play with and take over for Duncan even more than Aldridge would. He'll also probably be driven out of LA pretty quickly by the LA media, and he'll be looking for a quiet place to rebuild his image. The Spurs obviously need a defensive-minded center in their second unit, especially if West doesn't sign on. And having Hibbert in the fold would probably help reassure LMA that he'll be a power-forward for his whole contract.

Roy's lost a ton of value, and there's no way I'd touch him on that contract. But for the min? Of course. He had his best offensive season after he spent part of the summer working with Duncan. I think Tim could again get Roy to be productive on that end. If the Spurs could somehow come out of the Duncan years with Aldridge and a refocused Hibbert as their front line, Tim's legacy would have to be at GOAT status.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 07:55 AM
I also, I'm pretty sure they can see Hibbert to the Spurs from space. I think like with LMA, he really wants to be in SA, and he would love to play with and take over for Duncan even more than Aldridge would. He'll also probably be driven out of LA pretty quickly by the LA media, and he'll be looking for a quiet place to rebuild his image. The Spurs obviously need a defensive-minded center in their second unit, especially if West doesn't sign on. And having Hibbert in the fold would probably help reassure LMA that he'll be a power-forward for his whole contract.

Roy's lost a ton of value, and there's no way I'd touch him on that contract. But for the min? Of course. He had his best offensive season after he spent part of the summer working with Duncan. I think Tim could again get Roy to be productive on that end. If the Spurs could somehow come out of the Duncan years with Aldridge and a refocused Hibbert as their front line, Tim's legacy would have to be at GOAT status.

He was traded to the Lakers? Is this for some future acquisition?

Chinook
07-05-2015, 08:07 AM
He was traded to the Lakers? Is this for some future acquisition?

Yes, he was traded to the Lakers (will be finalized after the moratorium just like the Splitter trade), and the impending buyout is obvious. That situation is going to turn toxic by December.

BillMc
07-05-2015, 08:10 AM
I know he's raw, but is it impossible from a cap perspective to bring over Nikola Mulitonov? Let him develop as our 5th big and emergency wide body over here? Would be good to introduce him to Duncan's work habits before he's gone. And center is certainly a huge need now.

Richie
07-05-2015, 08:12 AM
I know he's raw, but is it impossible from a cap perspective to bring over Nikola Mulitonov? Let him develop as our 5th big and emergency wide body over here? Would be good to introduce him to Duncan's work habits before he's gone. And center is certainly a huge need now.

It depends on the cap and salaries. If the cap is $69m then we probably have room to bring him over and honour the deals we've agreed with Duncan and Aldridge, but I still doubt we would do it.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 08:20 AM
It depends on the cap and salaries. If the cap is $69m then we probably have room to bring him over and honour the deals we've agreed with Duncan and Aldridge, but I still doubt we would do it.

He's just 20 years old and still needs to add bulk. Spurs are better served bringing him later in his career.

However, he seems like an eager beaver.... coming to San Antonio for some kind of meeting.

Chinook
07-05-2015, 08:25 AM

Again, no one knows what deal they've agreed to with Duncan. That was seriously just based on a rumor that there was speculation from other front offices on what type of contract the Spurs were willing to offer Duncan. I doubt Tim gave them a number. He probably told them to put the best team they could around him and that he'd take what's left. If the Spurs believe Milutinov can help them this season, I don't think they even have to worry about Tim when dropping the $400k in cap space to bring him over.

Chinook
07-05-2015, 08:29 AM
However, he seems like an eager beaver.... coming to San Antonio for some kind of meeting.

Pretty much every Spurs prospect come to SA at some point every off-season. Hanga and Bertans have been each of the last four years. Richards used to come before he and the team seemingly had a fall out. LJC was in Vegas last off-season, even though he didn't play in the summer league. Dangubic was in SA last off-season, and I'm sure he'll be in some time in during the summer (probably when he gets cut from the national team). The Spurs have practices and meetings with them to come up with a gameplan for the following year. It's not a strange thing at all. In fact, if the Spurs decide to stash Milutinov, he and the Spurs have to sign a release so that he cap hold goes away. Makes sense to do that while he's in SA.

bigfan
07-05-2015, 08:30 AM
I think that the front office should make the call to Javtokas and say its his only shot at ever playing in the NBA. He's 35 but still playing decent ball and he is a huge bastard.