PDA

View Full Version : Too early for Kyle Anderson expectations?

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Is year 2 too early to expect anything from the Spurs' 1st rounder?

Is it realistic to expect him to be given a shot and/or to take a backup spot on the perimeter? With the rumors of washed up scrubs like Butler, Prince and Delfino being objects of interest of the Spurs, I would expect Kyle to be a nicer option than that caliber of player..

Too early?

Mr. Body
07-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Well, what else are you gonna do?

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Well, what else are you gonna do?

To elaborate, would it be fair to be disappointed if he isn't a viable backup option, this season, or would it be unfair to hold it against him this early?

Mr. Body
07-04-2015, 10:14 PM
To elaborate, would it be fair to be disappointed if he isn't a viable backup option, this season, or would it be unfair to hold it against him this early?

Unfair. But I think he'll surprise a little. He's a smart player.

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 10:15 PM
To elaborate, would it be fair to be disappointed if he isn't a viable backup option, this season, or would it be unfair to hold it against him if he isn't?

I don't think so. He's still only going to barely be 22 by the start of the season.

I mean I guess it depends on how he looks. I expect him to struggle some, but if he looks just absolutely worthless out there, then yeah, I might be a bit disappointed. I won't write him off and label his NBA career a failure or anything though.

ThaBigFundamental21
07-04-2015, 10:16 PM
I would be pleased if he came in 10 lbs lighter/better conditioned possibly picking up some quickness and gave us 10 quality mpg.

TheGoldStandard
07-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I expect him to do something within his role to stand out when he's given minutes not just fill up a roster spot. He has a high BBIQ and given that we are uncertain who will be at the 3 spot he should look to take shots and attack.

aal04
07-04-2015, 10:19 PM
He beat the D-Leagues up. I definitely see him in the rotation, albeit mostly in the regular season. He will be a complete matchup nightmare for a lot of teams when he can mark a player who doesnt iso/beat man much. I expect him to be a crucial piece in 3-4 years time.

beirmeistr
07-04-2015, 10:19 PM
pop has hardly given him any minutes

Russ
07-04-2015, 10:22 PM
He needs to contribute serious minutes to protect this elderly roster.

If he doesn't play this year he probably never will, for the Spurs at least.

tholdren
07-04-2015, 10:22 PM
99.9% of ST stated that he was "lottery talent." I expect him to play like a lottery talent, in the NBA, not the NBDL

Maj_G
07-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Marc Stein said (Zack Lowe podcast) that PFTO are very high on Kyle Anderson. I don't think they 'll make any decisions before summer league. Me personally I think he can play behind Kawhi.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 10:25 PM
99.9% of ST stated that he was "lottery talent." I expect him to play like a lottery talent, in the NBA, not the NBDL

I'm not a fan of his, but I agree to an extent..I don't expect him to blow me away, but he should at least be a better option than a washed-up scrub IMO..

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2015, 10:30 PM
He beat the D-Leagues up. I definitely see him in the rotation, albeit mostly in the regular season. He will be a complete matchup nightmare for a lot of teams when he can mark a player who doesnt iso/beat man much. I expect him to be a crucial piece in 3-4 years time.
Pretty much this, except I think he'll be ready this year or next.

pgardn
07-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Kid is gonna have to mature physically.

I have no doubt his feel for the game is unique.
He can play. But not with sharpness that muscle in the right spots could provide.

SpursFan86
07-04-2015, 10:31 PM
But he's still young. He'd just now be going into his senior year at UCLA if he stayed. We also knew it would likely take him time to adjust to NBA-level athletes considering his blatant lack of athleticism. He has the size, length, and BBIQ to make up for that lack of athleticism, but he's going to have to learn to use those things effectively. That takes time.

If he can't get any minutes at all and ends up having to spend most of the year in Austin again, sure, we can start worrying a bit. But it's still too early to write him off IMO.

Fwiw, I do think he'll be a serviceable backup this year, though, and would rather him get minutes than someone like Tayshaun Prince or whoever else.

Sean Cagney
07-04-2015, 10:32 PM

ST overrates guys on the team a little bit at times...... I don't think he was lottery talent personally and he slid to where he should have IMO.

CitizenDwayne
07-04-2015, 10:32 PM
I'm not a fan of his, but I agree to an extent..I don't expect him to blow me away, but he should at least be a better option than a washed-up scrub IMO..

Agreed, don't expect him to be a star in the making, but I'd definitely take him over Tayshaun fucking Prince

TheGoldStandard
07-04-2015, 10:33 PM
I think his hard work is going to keep him on the team for a while and earn his spot. Might even become a pretty good shooter from 3 but eventually I see him as an assistant coach.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-04-2015, 10:34 PM
We need him, but he's a long term prospect

tholdren
07-04-2015, 10:37 PM
i think he will be fine really. Make the right play. Get the hockey assist. Don't be lazy on defense. He's not in a franchise that expects him to make ESPN top 10 plays. He will just be expected to be smart and not turn it over. Almost anyone COULD succeed here. He will be fine.

spursparker9
07-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Need to work on his fast-twitch muscles

Chinook
07-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Nah. This is the flipside of the Spurs chasing a big fish. Anderson will have to play, possibly the backup SG spot. I think he'll be fine, especially if Manu or Joseph come back.

Cklbmk
07-04-2015, 10:46 PM
He brings everyone to his pace. He's a great passer and actually did well defensively last year despite how "slow" he is. Once his shot comes around hes going to be fine.

jesterbobman
07-04-2015, 10:52 PM
If he can be a close to average player, that's a win. 5, 3, 1.5 in 15 minutes would be great. Needs to play.

hyhy
07-04-2015, 10:56 PM
If the starting lineup with LMA manages to get a huge lead every game, KA may have alot of playing time this season. All depends on the starting lineup IMO.

apalisoc_9
07-04-2015, 10:58 PM
The thing about Kyle anderson is that he's not going to improve a lot on many of the things he's not good at. He's always going to be slow, and weak.

Not fair to expect a whole lot from him this year. 10 minutes of solid bench play is the max anyone should expect from him tbh..

Tuddy
07-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Could only play as a stretch 4 really. He's not going to be able to stay with anyone on the perimeter

Beaverfuzz
07-04-2015, 11:01 PM
He still stinks, overrated and that's not saying much.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-04-2015, 11:01 PM
I am huge on Kyle Anderson. Plays with great pace, can play four positions, great hands on offense and defense, can make a steal and challenge shots, great passer and decision maker, shows patience on the block and skilled low post moves both facing and back to basket. Anytime you have a player with his height they can put the ball on the floor, make the pass or shoot that puts the defense of its heels. Given enough minutes he can reach double figures in points and still get as many rebounds as assits.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 11:06 PM
IF he makes significant progress over his rookie year then you have decent depth with Mills, Ginobili, Diaw, and him before we consider additional free agent additions. His skill set is well suited to this team's system.

Russ
07-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Anderson should surprise a lot of people this year.

Livio Jean Charles, on the other hand, seems like a wasted pick.

slick'81
07-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Like others have said if there was a year we needed him it's now.its his 2nd season and he is a first round pick ,spurs could use a young sf with solid ball handling and passing skills

SnakeBoy
07-04-2015, 11:37 PM

I think he has star potential so yeah it's fair to be disappointed if he isn't a viable option. I do expect to see plenty of rookie mistakes and Pop yelling at him this season. Danny will be happy to have someone else be Pop's whipping boy. Given his background I expect him to respond well to the mad Pop treatment.

SAGirl
07-05-2015, 12:06 AM
I am huge on Kyle Anderson. Plays with great pace, can play four positions, great hands on offense and defense, can make a steal and challenge shots, great passer and decision maker, shows patience on the block and skilled low post moves both facing and back to basket. Anytime you have a player with his height they can put the ball on the floor, make the pass or shoot that puts the defense of its heels. Given enough minutes he can reach double figures in points and still get as many rebounds as assits.
I am a fan of his too. He played little last year but he was at his best when the spurs needed him in Dec. He didn't do anything spectacular, but he made good decisions with the ball, rebounded well, and executed team defense well enough for a rookie. His jump shot did need a lot of work. I hope it's improved this year. I think he will be better than some vet min guys out mentions out there and he has potential to get better as the season goes on unlike those old vets. I hope Pop gets on him much like he has on other young guys that have grown in the system. But he definitely needed to work on his jump shot, otherwise he might have played more even last year, because at times the team was in a horrible shooting collective funk.

Mr Bones
07-05-2015, 01:08 AM
Anderson's done everything that has been asked of him and has looked pretty good... after winning D League player of the month in February, shooting a respectable 35.4% from the 3 pt line, and showing off his assist & rebounding versatility, I think he's ready to give 12 mpg without being a liability. Honestly, the expectations are low at this point: play D no worse than Belinelli, and maybe provide a few minutes as a good distributor and decision maker. That's all that's needed at this point, and anything else would just been gravy. If he's only a poor man's Shaun Livingston or a poor man's Boris Diaw, he'll maybe get up to 18 mpg. According to 82games.com, his most productive minutes were actually logged at the PF position, though the sample size is obviously small... but in that regard, he's already an upgrade over Ayres...

AFBlue
07-05-2015, 01:13 AM
If he sucks I will be disappointed. He's a very skilled player and I trust the Spurs to get the most out of his talent. If they're trying him at guard that's likely to fail miserably, but they'll figure it out.

Stabula
07-05-2015, 01:30 AM
He had a 15 point game against the Blazers last year and had a few other games where he showed flashes of what he's capable of. I expect him to crack the bench rotation next year and if he doesn't it's fair to be disappointed. Of course that doesn't mean write him off, but it'll be worthy of disappointment.

HI-FI
07-05-2015, 01:47 AM
WE WILL SEE.

DJR210
07-05-2015, 01:51 AM
Anderson's biggest road block is himself. Is he going to play like he wants to stick around in the NBA, or continue to be regulated to passing the ball along the perimeter? Dude needs to play with some balls this year, the team needs something from him.

SpurPadre
07-05-2015, 01:54 AM
He's way too slow. TP can gain 400 pounds and still drive past him.

apalisoc_9
07-05-2015, 02:04 AM
He's way too slow. TP can gain 400 pounds and still drive past him.

I agree, TP definitely has that ability.

bluebellmaniac
07-05-2015, 02:09 AM
Nah. This is the flipside of the Spurs chasing a big fish. Anderson will have to play, possibly the backup SG spot. I think he'll be fine, especially if Manu or Joseph come back.

SG???

ceperez
07-05-2015, 07:27 AM
Anderson should surprise a lot of people this year.

Livio Jean Charles, on the other hand, seems like a wasted pick.

Man... this would be a disaster... one pick away from grabbing Gobert and FO didn't trade up!

ceperez
07-05-2015, 07:30 AM
He had a 15 point game against the Blazers last year and had a few other games where he showed flashes of what he's capable of. I expect him to crack the bench rotation next year and if he doesn't it's fair to be disappointed. Of course that doesn't mean write him off, but it'll be worthy of disappointment.

He's definitely skilled and has great court vision. Very few guards can defend against him.

I trust him more with orchestrating the offense than Cory Joseph.

In fact, in terms of setting up the offense, if we were to rank the best players in the team, he'll at least be in the top 4.

Diaw
Ginobili
Parker
Anderson

.... CoJo, Mills, Danny Green all just can't do it.

elemento
07-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Man... this would be a disaster... one pick away from grabbing Gobert and FO didn't trade up!

And the sad part is that Utah got that pick from Denver for peanuts. Can you imagine having Green, Leonard, Aldridge and Gobert all locked up. Damn. Can't have everything right.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 08:14 AM
And the sad part is that Utah got that pick from Denver for peanuts. Can you imagine having Green, Leonard, Aldridge and Gobert all locked up. Damn. Can't have everything right.

For the record, Nuggets gave away the pick for the 46th pick in the draft!!!

I mean, the guy was right there for the picking, but the Spurs took the gamble and stuck with LJC (which at that time was the better player). However, the Spurs needed a legit center and not an undersized PF or someone to play behind Leonard.

Yeah.. a Spurs team with Gobert would be shutting down teams for a very, very long time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2015, 08:51 AM
I would be pleased if he came in 10 lbs lighter/better conditioned possibly picking up some quickness and gave us 10 quality mpg.

This.

He's worth being patient with - great feel for the game, and in a season or two his funky driving game could be a real weapon, especially if he develops into a decent 3pt shooter. I see a bit of Sean Livingston in him (although Livingston has more quickness and can't shoot 3s at all), and I really like Livingston as a role player. That's Kyle's floor I think.

100%duncan
07-05-2015, 09:16 AM
He is very very slow, so Id doubt he can play the 2. Our best bet is 10-15 spot mins in 3 to give Whi some rest. He has got to develop a reliable 3 pt shot though, if he does that then he'll fit more and maybe cover for the regressing contribution of manu

RD2191
07-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Too slow, tbh. I doubt he'll ever be a regular rotation player in the NBA.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 09:43 AM
He is very very slow, so Id doubt he can play the 2. Our best bet is 10-15 spot mins in 3 to give Whi some rest. He has got to develop a reliable 3 pt shot though, if he does that then he'll fit more and maybe cover for the regressing contribution of manu

The closest player I can think of would be Steven Jackson that could pass. He can't shoot like Jackson though.

SpursFan86
07-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Stephen Jackson was a career 33% 3-point shooter...I'd hope KA can end up better than that. Jackson was a really solid defender though, whereas KA will be lucky if he ever ends up being an average defender.

100%duncan
07-05-2015, 09:51 AM
The closest player I can think of would be Steven Jackson that could pass. He can't shoot like Jackson though.

Young SJax was atleast athletic tbh. And he drove at will.

Chinook
07-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Stephen Jackson was a career 33% 3-point shooter...I'd hope KA can end up better than that. Jackson was a really solid defender though, whereas KA will be lucky if he ever ends up being an average defender.

Eh, I think Anderson could be the same type of defender Jackson was. Kyle has the tools to do so, but he lacks the mentality to muddy up the game. He has the length to swallow a player whole in a phonebooth, so if the Spurs can keep him off an island, I think he'll be fine, even at the two.

hater
07-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Baby Magic. you heard it here first.

EVAY
07-05-2015, 11:10 AM
I don't think he can learn to be faster. And in this league, I think that is a monster problem.

The other liability I see is his dribble is too high (or was) - but that is fixable.

Slowness is the problem, offensively and defensively.

So - to the question: I don't think it is too early...I just don't see him ever being more than a limited minutes sub. Very limited minutes.

wildbill2u
07-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Dude, I will buy some of what you are on. :downspin:

cd98
07-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Tbh, if he can be the Spurs roster rather than Toros, that's a successful season. If Spurs acquire a back up SF, Anderson will not see the light of day. He's a three year project, at a minimum, to get consistent minutes, if he can even get to that level.

Russ
07-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Too slow, tbh. I doubt he'll ever be a regular rotation player in the NBA.

Guys like Anderson just seem slow because they're tall and ungainly looking.

He's makes basketball moves. He's slow like Lamar Odom -- you get points when you get to the rim, not for how you look doing it.

Raven
07-05-2015, 11:48 AM
i expect something from him too

wildbill2u
07-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Gervin was slow--but he had a deceptively long stride that could get him to the basket and he could shoot the lights out. Actually, at the time he was a prototype long SG and his extra length helped him on defense so you were willing to give up his speed liabilities on defense.

But the game has changed. Lots of long SGs with some speed as well. If you thought Bellinelli was a poor defender at SG, wait till the league gets the measure of a slower KA. I haven't heard of a "speed coach" that can teach speed and lateral quickness.

Lots of folks look at his BBI IQ, and passing, but there are two ends of the court and he'll probably never develop into a shooter whose offense and passing way overbalances his slow movement on defense. It isn't just the fact that he'll get beaten on ISOs or PNRs by speedier players; that liability will breakdown the overall defense as others try to cover for him.

He's a Spur for now, so I'm in his corner and hope he does better that I foresee.

dbestpro
07-05-2015, 12:53 PM
I look doe the Spurs to take advantage of Duncan and LMA defensively by going back to an approach they use to do when they had the twin towers. They would crowd the shooters daring them to go around into the bigs. This often left the shooter with a midrange jump shot that most are not too efficient. While Anderson is not fast enough for a game of one on one, his size is perfect as a perimeter defender in this type of defense.

Nathan89
07-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Dude came in with 13.4% body fat. Hoping the Spurs have been working with him diligently to get his body into better shape. Maybe he'll gain some athletic ability,strength, and endurance. I think he can improve in all those areas. I find it promising given the fact that he wasn't in great shape that he played 39.3mpg and still avg 31.1% 3's. If he gets in better shape, plays less mpg, and takes open shots then 3pt% should be a few percentage points higher.

weebo
07-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Anderson needs to learn to play better defense and develop a reliable outside shot. If he can do those two things this upcoming season, he'll have a solid bench role on this team.

cd98
07-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Slow players can be successful in the NBA. See Chris Mullin. But you have to be highly skilled. Anderson is no Chris Mullin, but the Spurs do think he can work in their system. If not, they'd get rid of him for the salary cap space. So it's a good sign that they are supporting him, but I would strain to think he would be much of a contributor next season.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Kyle Anderson has a got a ton of moves, not only that, he covers a lot of ground in a few steps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP_6LEwbpXM

GooberNuts
07-05-2015, 01:32 PM
His long stride can work to offset his slow foot speed because it throws off the defender's timing and creates separation for his shot. I'm excited to (hopefully) watch him off the bench next season.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 02:34 PM
His long stride can work to offset his slow foot speed because it throws off the defender's timing and creates separation for his shot. I'm excited to (hopefully) watch him off the bench next season.

He's a different kind of player. It's like a controlled drive where he takes long strides, covers a lot of ground but still surveying opportunities. Hope Spurs may adjustments to his game to make whatever he is doing more effective.

objective
07-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Count me among the skeptical. I don't expect him to be a positive contributor, which is not necessarily the same as getting playing time.

I think he's a bigger Kendall Marshall. Enough skills to play, but so athletically poor that he'll never be a reliable contributor on a contender, because in the playoffs his defense will be abused even more. Marshall has been on 4 teams and waived 4 times. But he had the skills to be a lottery pick, he just couldn't hang athletically. That's Anderson.

He might be saved the indignity of multiple trades and waives because San Antonio won't have the salary to push around in trades, but he has that bad combination of being slow and lacking hustle. Moving like Mr Burns through jello is one thing, but there were plays in his brief on court time when he sure looked like he was taking defense off or not getting back with the full extent of his limited top speed. Has he gotten over himself enough to recognize that his career is in jeopardy if he doesn't go 100%? He sure seemed entitled, going through the whole draft process carrying too much body fat when he know everyone was doubting his speed, talking about how he'll never slip to the spurs, etc.

Maybe in summer league without having to feature Austin Daye and Jeff Ayres and with a leaner body he'll show proof that he wants to succeed and goes as hard as his body allows. Because if he suffers under the belief that he's so good he doesn't have to lower himself to be a hustle guy every play like so many are forced to be (and caused Green to be cut once), if he thinks that just because he was some big shot at UCLA he deserves the ball in his hands every play like he's Magic, if he isn't willing to do everything at all times then he'll be joining former 2nd round pick Marcus Williams in Europe after being a d-league superstar.

tholdren
07-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Guys like Anderson just seem slow because they're tall and ungainly looking.

He's makes basketball moves. He's slow like Lamar Odom -- you get points when you get to the rim, not for how you look doing it.

most do not understand

t

tholdren
07-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Gervin was slow--but he had a deceptively long stride that could get him to the basket and he could shoot the lights out. Actually, at the time he was a prototype long SG and his extra length helped him on defense so you were willing to give up his speed liabilities on defense.

But the game has changed. Lots of long SGs with some speed as well. If you thought Bellinelli was a poor defender at SG, wait till the league gets the measure of a slower KA. I haven't heard of a "speed coach" that can teach speed and lateral quickness.

if teams don't have an athletic trainer to train speed, hire me. looking at tiago they didn't
Lots of folks look at his BBI IQ, and passing, but there are two ends of the court and he'll probably never develop into a shooter whose offense and passing way overbalances his slow movement on defense. It isn't just the fact that he'll get beaten on ISOs or PNRs by speedier players; that liability will breakdown the overall defense as others try to cover for him.

He's a Spur for now, so I'm in his corner and hope he does better that I foresee.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Count me among the skeptical. I don't expect him to be a positive contributor, which is not necessarily the same as getting playing time.

I think he's a bigger Kendall Marshall. Enough skills to play, but so athletically poor that he'll never be a reliable contributor on a contender, because in the playoffs his defense will be abused even more. Marshall has been on 4 teams and waived 4 times. But he had the skills to be a lottery pick, he just couldn't hang athletically. That's Anderson.

He might be saved the indignity of multiple trades and waives because San Antonio won't have the salary to push around in trades, but he has that bad combination of being slow and lacking hustle. Moving like Mr Burns through jello is one thing, but there were plays in his brief on court time when he sure looked like he was taking defense off or not getting back with the full extent of his limited top speed. Has he gotten over himself enough to recognize that his career is in jeopardy if he doesn't go 100%? He sure seemed entitled, going through the whole draft process carrying too much body fat when he know everyone was doubting his speed, talking about how he'll never slip to the spurs, etc.

Maybe in summer league without having to feature Austin Daye and Jeff Ayres and with a leaner body he'll show proof that he wants to succeed and goes as hard as his body allows. Because if he suffers under the belief that he's so good he doesn't have to lower himself to be a hustle guy every play like so many are forced to be (and caused Green to be cut once), if he thinks that just because he was some big shot at UCLA he deserves the ball in his hands every play like he's Magic, if he isn't willing to do everything at all times then he'll be joining former 2nd round pick Marcus Williams in Europe after being a d-league superstar.

Well-said.

Nathan89
07-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Him being much bigger than him is a significant difference. It opens up the possibility to guard positions other than pg which are extremely quick and skilled. Blocks, rebounding, recovery from behind on defense, shooting over players instead of going by them, his long scoop layups are more difficult to get to, better ability to pass over or around the defense, ect.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2015, 02:55 PM
We'll know a lot after seeing him in summer league. The most logical starting lineup for the Utah would be something like.

C - Lalanne
PF - LJC
SF - Anderson
SG - Denmon
PG - Cherry

with Anderson bringing up the ball a good portion of the time.

Seems like this is going to be the summer of Anderson. They might run more scoring plays for him than one might expect just to see what he can do.

Overall, if he can develop one more NBA skill, the guy will stick. Hopefully that skill will be outside shooting.

Nathan89
07-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Spursfan are in for a pleasant surprise imo. The dude is really skilled and utilizes his dribble, spins, putting his should into his defender, and length to make up for his slowness.

Seventyniner
07-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Eh, I think Anderson could be the same type of defender Jackson was. Kyle has the tools to do so, but he lacks the mentality to muddy up the game. He has the length to swallow a player whole in a phonebooth, so if the Spurs can keep him off an island, I think he'll be fine, even at the two.

It also depends on the matchup. I think Kyle can guard someone like Joe Johnson or present-day Wade, but he would get absolutely torched by Korver. I don't trust Kyle to fight through screens well enough.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2015, 03:02 PM
It also depends on the matchup. I think Kyle can guard someone like Joe Johnson or present-day Wade, but he would get absolutely torched by Korver. I don't trust Kyle to fight through screens well enough.

Well fortunately, if he enters the rotation next year, it will probably be a 10 MPG role where he's guarding opposing bench players..gives him time to develop and get his feet wet in a great defensive system, at least..

If he's replacing Marco, it's not like the Spurs are losing anything on D:lol..I'm more interested in seeing how he looks as a playmaker, as that is potentially a big need for the Spurs right now..having another guy that can put the ball on the floor once in a while would be nice, and while you can't expect too much from a 2nd year player, it shouldn't be too difficult in a 9th or 10th man role..

Filling in for regular season minutes is a much different animal than playoff games..playing against a lot of average and bad teams, the games are less intense, etc..he could be needed just to alleviate and buy some long-term resT for Manu/Parker/Diaw as a playmaker on some nights, at least IMO..

Adding a veteran scorer like West would be huge for Anderson, too IMO..the less pressure and more peripheral options, the better..

Seventyniner
07-05-2015, 03:16 PM
^Good point about Kyle being at least as good on D as Beli. Beli was bad on D against SGs and worse against SFs, while Kyle would benefit by beng able to slide up a position.

He needs shooters and cutters around him to be effective on offense though. Ironically, Beli would be perfect for that. Manu and Green would be good enough.

I just don't see the need for Kyle to play SG if Manu comes back unless injury strikes. He's better suited as a SF or PF on defense against most teams, especially those with bench shooters at SG who like to curl around picks.

Mugen
07-05-2015, 03:20 PM
I expect Fathead to eat up some minutes in the regular season next year before teams take advantage of his below average athleticism in the playoffs. Perfectly fine with that scenario tbh.

south side spur
07-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Denmon is still in the program? Why haven't they cut bait with that guy? I guess they're hoping he's a Gary Neal type.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Spursfan are in for a pleasant surprise imo. The dude is really skilled and utilizes his dribble, spins, putting his should into his defender, and length to make up for his slowness.

What's not to like with his play against the Blazers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6WLP5qw5O8

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2015, 03:40 PM
AC93CxSICMg

A preseason game, but decent reference for his vision and shooting ability. The guy has the IQ to make it, and the team has been impressed with his work ethic so far. He'll be good :tu.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 04:04 PM
AC93CxSICMg

A preseason game, but decent reference for his vision and shooting ability. The guy has the IQ to make it, and the team has been impressed with his work ethic so far. He'll be good :tu.

You can tell the difference between his preseason game and the in season game. He's getting better. He's got the skills and IQ to be a very difficult match up for many teams. I'll take my chances with Anderson over resigning Cojo.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-05-2015, 04:12 PM

That just means he merits a bench role to me. He would need lots of help versus some starting 3's out there like George or KD. That is the case with most players though. Not even 10 people in the league are suitable for frontline minutes at the 3 on a contender.

Also watching him play against NBAers last year my concern wasn't his speed. It was his strength. He would cower on rotations and shy from contact in the lane. He got pushed around more than he did get blown by on defense. I thought he was better in the lateral agility department than advertised.

Don't see the hustle thing at all.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-05-2015, 04:14 PM
It's never too early for expectations. I would set a goal for him to crack the rotation and improve in what areas the league leading player development program sets for him. Projecting stats and minutes is fantasy bball nonsense.

07-05-2015, 04:14 PM
His shot is soooo slow. The Spurs desperately need a playmaker and wing off the bench but I don't expect anything from him. I saw nothing from his last season that suggests he will become a legitimate NBA player soon. Maybe he can show flashes during summer league.

Mr. Body
07-05-2015, 04:17 PM

Right. It's not staying in front of guys that is the big problem for him, it's getting around screens, where he gets killed.

SAGirl
07-05-2015, 04:27 PM
In some of his dleague games I saw him hit a Cutting man with a pass while in the middle of a drive. You get the impression that other guys will get easy shots if they stay active off the ball. He's a very willing passer and he will pass to a cutter almost every time. Dleague defense is awful at times though so some of his passes will not be there. He probably will be encouraged to shoot by defenders.

picnroll
07-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Sam Cassel was a damn good player and probably about as slow as Anderson. Anderson has a lot of the quile of Cassel just needs Cassel's quick release and shooting accuracy of Cassel

TD 21
07-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Summer League and training camp/preseason will tell whether it's too early or not, but I don't see that as the issue so much as I just don't see him as a good fit next to Ginobili. The wing opposite him needs to be a knockdown three point shooter. The fact that he can't defend or cross match defensively doesn't help either.

This is why a spot up shooter makes sense and like it or not, when all you've got to offer for that role is the minimum and you're trying to win a championship, odds are it'll be a veteran one, along the lines of Delfino or R. Butler.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-05-2015, 04:56 PM
I'm willing to bet Kyle Anderson will average 25 fanduel points a game or I'll ban myself from ever posting again. Also, Kyle is the best Spurs player wearing a uniform with the name 'Anderson' on the back of jersey.

EVAY
07-05-2015, 05:50 PM
His long stride can work to offset his slow foot speed because it throws off the defender's timing and creates separation for his shot.

Concern I have about that is that your observation is true for the first two, maybe three times a team sees him. Then the defense adjusts and, I fear, he will either get his dribble picked off or the defender adjusts and meets him before he ever gets to the rim. In the playoffs, particularly, it seems to me it is only a matter of time before his slow speed and high dribble get him in trouble offensively. Defensively, he has not yet shown he can stay in front of his man.

PublicOption
07-05-2015, 05:51 PM
......with two good post op players and 7 footers. I bet we go back to 4 down and pound these small ball teams into submission. plus you add a 6'9" point guard to dictate the pace.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Okay... CoJo is now out....

Anderson have better perform. The expectations have not be increased by a notch.

PublicOption
07-05-2015, 06:27 PM
anderson
duncan
aldridge
leonard
green

cannot by stopped.

green/leonard on the fast point guard for defense and let anderson go to work.......sick, sick, sick......games will be over before halftime.

littlecoyotecoin
07-05-2015, 06:30 PM
......with two good post op players and 7 footers. I bet we go back to 4 down and pound these small ball teams into submission. plus you add a 6'9" point guard to dictate the pace.

In this day and age, it's only a matter of time. Team Jenner!

ceperez
07-05-2015, 06:31 PM
anderson
duncan
aldridge
leonard
green

cannot by stopped.

green/leonard on the fast point guard for defense and let anderson go to work.......sick, sick, sick......games will be over before halftime.

Actually, I like this combination:

Anderson
Green
Leonard
Diaw
Aldridge

Everyone can hit the 3 point shot! Everyone (except Green) can cause damage playing inside.

GooberNuts
07-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Concern I have about that is that your observation is true for the first two, maybe three times a team sees him. Then the defense adjusts and, I fear, he will either get his dribble picked off or the defender adjusts and meets him before he ever gets to the rim. In the playoffs, particularly, it seems to me it is only a matter of time before his slow speed and high dribble get him in trouble offensively. Defensively, he has not yet shown he can stay in front of his man.

True, he will run into difficulties fairly soon once teams start to know his game, but that's when he will just need to expand the repertoire. Throwing a little Diaw junk into his game and learning how to adjust to what the defense gives him (and hopefully lowering that dribble a bit) will come in time; Anderson's bball IQ and overall skill level seem to be high enough that I feel confident that he will remain effective on the offensive end.

But I agree that his lack of speed and athleticism will really hold him back on the defensive end and I have a hard time seeing him being able to stay in front of most perimeter players.

PublicOption
07-05-2015, 08:17 PM
first of all he can see over most guards. has great vision. knows when defenders are on him. i never remember any of that to tall crap slowing down magic. magic was great at picking up the dribble before you could take it from hime, which means he is going to have to run the break a lot more, that will demoralize most teams with the ease the spurs will score at. now Pop would have to be sold on playing that way. They already do with one man fast break TP. he just can't pass as well as Anderson does.

ceperez
07-05-2015, 08:30 PM
True, he will run into difficulties fairly soon once teams start to know his game, but that's when he will just need to expand the repertoire. Throwing a little Diaw junk into his game and learning how to adjust to what the defense gives him (and hopefully lowering that dribble a bit) will come in time; Anderson's bball IQ and overall skill level seem to be high enough that I feel confident that he will remain effective on the offensive end.

But I agree that his lack of speed and athleticism will really hold him back on the defensive end and I have a hard time seeing him being able to stay in front of most perimeter players.

I think you over exaggerate a hypothetical situation where team have a luxury of figuring out how to contain him. This is the Spurs. Every player on the court is able to cause a lot of damage. However some Spurs need to get the ball in the right place to do that damage (i.e. Green), that's where playmakers like Anderson are valuable. Not because they can go one-and-one and score on somebody, but because they can survey the court and deliver the ball where the defense is weakest.

ducks
07-05-2015, 11:49 PM
Dude now will get shot

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2015, 11:51 PM
Dude now will get shot

:wow:wow

spurraider21
07-05-2015, 11:57 PM
here's the way i see it... last year:

Kawhi - 32 mpg
Green - 28.5 mpg
Marco - 22 mpg
Gino - 22 mpg

We need to make up Marco's minutes... i'm assuming Kawhi can play 35 mpg and Green should be playing about 33. so we need Anderson to play for 15 mpg in a capacity similar to Belinelli. if that's too much to ask, then i'm disappointed.

we also need manu back, tbh

SpursFan86
07-06-2015, 12:03 AM
Yeah that's another good point...Kawhi and Green can't be on the old man minute plan anymore :lol They should both be getting around ~35 mpg IMO, although I'd be shocked if Pop gives Danny that much playing time. Maybe this new $44 million contract will at least inspire Pop to get their money's worth :lol

But yeah, Manu coming back is huge. We might've been fine if Manu retired and we kept CoJo, but now that CoJo is gone for sure, Manu returning is a major deal. Unless RC works some absolute magic or KA is surprisingly competent, this team isn't competing for a title without Manu.

spurraider21
07-06-2015, 12:07 AM
danny and kawhi were getting paid around 3 and 4 mil apiece last year, now they're getting 11 and 18... i expect them to get grown man minutes

Russo21
07-06-2015, 12:20 AM
I think he is shit but we need some depth so i'm hoping he proves me wrong.

Vic Petro
07-06-2015, 01:13 AM
"I'm working hard on the defensive end, trying to get my legs stronger and being able to play in a stance at all times," Anderson said. "That's what good defenders do. That's what good athletes do. They're able to stay low and play in a stance for long periods of time."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/basketball/kyle-s-time-1.1369175

Obstructed_View
07-06-2015, 01:44 AM
I don't think it's too early to expect him to crack the rotation if he's as good as everyone has said he is. He's gong to need to play smart team defense, get steals without getting lost, shoot and hit when open, and hopefully he'll get some opportunities to run the offense, possibly with Mills in the backcourt. Can't wait to see how he looks in summer league.

Fireball
07-06-2015, 01:49 AM
I do not think we have other option as to play him. We need him because he is smart and knows the system ... Pop might chose that over anybody coming over now.

Nathan89
07-06-2015, 03:07 AM
Expectations will be sky high after tomorrow. Dude is going to showcase.

ceperez
07-06-2015, 05:59 AM

Kawhi - 32 mpg
Green - 28.5 mpg
Marco - 22 mpg
Gino - 22 mpg

We need to make up Marco's minutes... i'm assuming Kawhi can play 35 mpg and Green should be playing about 33. so we need Anderson to play for 15 mpg in a capacity similar to Belinelli. if that's too much to ask, then i'm disappointed.

Manu will be playing less minutes, so let's say it is 15 minutes, that's 29 minutes that needs to be filled up by a SG/SF.

May need to start looking at Tayshun Prince as a backup. Leonard has consistently missed games in his Spurs career.

ceperez
07-06-2015, 06:00 AM
danny and kawhi were getting paid around 3 and 4 mil apiece last year, now they're getting 11 and 18... i expect them to get grown man minutes

Leonard has been injury prone his entire time in the Spurs. Do you think he can play more minutes?

EVAY
07-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Leonard has been injury prone his entire time in the Spurs. Do you think he can play more minutes?

I definitely think that POP thinks that limiting Kawhi's minutes will help limit his injuries. You are right in that he has been, if not injury-prone, at least having had some fairly time-consuming injuries over the last two years ( I honestly don't remember much about his first two years on the team), especially for such a young man. Pop is notorious for 'saving' guys for the playoffs, so I don't honestly see him playing Kawhi too much more than he did last year. I think it would be good for team if he did, but I sure don't expect it.

ceperez
07-06-2015, 11:14 AM
I definitely think that POP thinks that limiting Kawhi's minutes will help limit his injuries. You are right in that he has been, if not injury-prone, at least having had some fairly time-consuming injuries over the last two years ( I honestly don't remember much about his first two years on the team), especially for such a young man. Pop is notorious for 'saving' guys for the playoffs, so I don't honestly see him playing Kawhi too much more than he did last year. I think it would be good for team if he did, but I sure don't expect it.

you just don't want to burn out your players no matter how young they are.

Leonard played poorly against the clippers ... so did green. I mean, I don't even know how the Spurs got to a game seven with with Leonard, Green, Parker and Splitter all playing badly.

BillMc
07-06-2015, 11:18 AM
you just don't want to burn out your players no matter how young they are.

Leonard played poorly against the clippers ... so did green. I mean, I don't even know how the Spurs got to a game seven with with Leonard, Green, Parker and Splitter all playing badly.

His name is Tim Duncan. :toast

cantthinkofanything
07-06-2015, 11:20 AM
first of all he can see over most guards. has great vision. knows when defenders are on him. i never remember any of that to tall crap slowing down magic. magic was great at picking up the dribble before you could take it from hime, which means he is going to have to run the break a lot more, that will demoralize most teams with the ease the spurs will score at. now Pop would have to be sold on playing that way. They already do with one man fast break TP. he just can't pass as well as Anderson does.

Sorry...he's not Magic Johnson. That's a terrible comparison that is setting up KA for failure.

EVAY
07-06-2015, 11:23 AM
His name is Tim Duncan. :toast

Pretty much.

Russ
07-06-2015, 12:00 PM
The season rides on Anderson's ability to contribute this year.

south side spur
07-06-2015, 12:21 PM
The season rides on Anderson's ability to contribute this year.
It should be another great season then. He didn't vacation and has just been working on his game. He has a lot more confidence coming into this summer after a relatively productive D-League season. Confidence or lack thereof is a major issue for these rookies. His confidence was not only suffering for lack of experience but he was also dealing with the death of a close friend. Even worse, it was an apparent suicide so it's understandable if his focus wasn't where it needed to be. He's ready for this moment, he's been working diligently. With Belinelli and Joseph both gone now, the opportunity has presented itself and he's more than prepared for this. Several of posters here have mentioned reports that the Spurs are excited with his progress.

cd98
07-06-2015, 12:23 PM
If he plays well at summer league as a second year player, should be no surprise and shouldn't be overread to conclude he is ready for prime time. However, if he struggles in summer league, red flags.

ceperez
07-06-2015, 12:37 PM
If he plays well at summer league as a second year player, should be no surprise and shouldn't be overread to conclude he is ready for prime time. However, if he struggles in summer league, red flags.

I don't know how Summer League performance translates to real play. Difficult for a player like Anderson who needs a structured offense to do well with a bunch of random players.

I expect though that LJC and Lalanne to show off their skill sets (which doesn't require passing).

SAGirl
07-06-2015, 01:19 PM
I agree with this assessment. How he does in this environment does not equal how he will perform as a compliment to the bench, where he will probably have a smaller role. You just want to see him do well, to build up his confidence and momentum for the season. The Spurs will need him, between back to back rest for the vets and the occasional injury, he may have games where he could potentially be needed to do more, so his experience in this setting is helpful. I want to see him aggressive, looking to make stuff happen for himself or a teammate. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he could be the most talented guy on the Spurs summer league roster. I really look forward to seeing him!

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Any expectations change after SL?

Mr. Body
07-19-2015, 09:50 PM

For people to keep jumping to conclusions way too early on most anything.

SnakeBoy
07-19-2015, 09:56 PM

KA won't make it in the NBA because the NBA isn't the SL. Simmons is going to be an awesome NBA player because he's played well in the SL.

SAGirl
07-19-2015, 11:26 PM
KA won't make it in the NBA because the NBA isn't the SL. Simmons is going to be an awesome NBA player because he's played well in the SL.
:lol
I am already a fan of his game, so I just want to see him play well.

Darius McCrary
07-19-2015, 11:30 PM
KA plays like kinda a bitch but he'll be a decent rotation player.

spursistan
07-19-2015, 11:53 PM
if he averages 13-15 MPG in +65 games role, i would be happy tbh..With Belinelli gone, this probably the year both Kawhi/Green will/should be around 33-35 MPG..They are our definition of 'young legs' on the team..

SAGirl
07-20-2015, 02:55 AM
if he averages 13-15 MPG in +65 games role, i would be happy tbh..With Belinelli gone, this probably the year both Kawhi/Green will/should be around 33-35 MPG..They are our definition of 'young legs' on the team..
You risk injury, bc even as young as they are, they play really, really hard, Kawhi in particular on both ends. That has led to injuries for Kawhi and while Danny has been an absolute stud, you cant take his health for granted either. RS is precisely why you loaded up with young guys like Ray, Kyle and Simmons. They will get minutes. Ray and Simmons you want to evaluate, Ray is playing for a contract really I expect he will be very good. Kyle and Simmons are unknown to fans but Spurs have worked in their development for a year already, and they have good chemistry together. Second unit will be fine. Better than last year quite honestly.

milkyway21
07-20-2015, 03:23 AM
IMO, I like Anderson over Belinelli on defense...

ceperez
07-20-2015, 05:25 AM
One comparison that I have seen yet was ... a poor man's Larry Bird.

Bird is 6'9", can get off the floor but has a ton of moves to compensate for lack of athleticism.

KA still needs a lot of work but he's only 21 years old. He's the youngest player in the Spurs roster.

The next youngest are either Leonard or McCallum at 24. That's a 3 year difference!

SAGirl
07-20-2015, 03:31 PM

Bird is 6'9", can get off the floor but has a ton of moves to compensate for lack of athleticism.

KA still needs a lot of work but he's only 21 years old. He's the youngest player in the Spurs roster.

The next youngest are either Leonard or McCallum at 24. That's a 3 year difference!
Bird was a deadly shooter, rebounder and made momentum changing plays (steals). He was a fierce competitor too, but not athletic. His leadership and passing made him one of my favorite players from that era, along with Magic. The ball handling he had his hand eye coordination. He is a legend. That is an incredible high standard for Kyle to live up to. But he is still so young, has leadership, and a fierce competitive spirit. To me his improvement shows that he also has a strong work ethic. I mean you don't stand out even in the SL if you are not the athletic kind or deadly shooter kind, without having just a whole lot of intangibles. And he does stand out. You could technically dare any forward that played in the summer league foe any team to play with this exact same spurs team sans Anderson, and they don't get this far. What h is doing goes just beyond the scoring. The leadership, the aggressiveness, the versatility, his craftiness, his BBIQ. He skilled and plays like a savvy vet at just 21 with an impressive offensive repertoire that allows him to draw fouls at a high rate. They for sure don't get this far without him. He has been that important to this SL team. So I am excited too.

Despot
07-20-2015, 04:09 PM

worst care scenario....poor mans Michael Jordan, tbh.

ceperez
07-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Bird was a deadly shooter, rebounder and made momentum changing plays (steals). He was a fierce competitor too, but not athletic. His leadership and passing made him one of my favorite players from that era, along with Magic. The ball handling he had his hand eye coordination. He is a legend. That is an incredible high standard for Kyle to live up to. But he is still so young, has leadership, and a fierce competitive spirit. To me his improvement shows that he also has a strong work ethic. I mean you don't stand out even in the SL if you are not the athletic kind or deadly shooter kind, without having just a whole lot of intangibles. And he does stand out. You could technically dare any forward that played in the summer league foe any team to play with this exact same spurs team sans Anderson, and they don't get this far. What h is doing goes just beyond the scoring. The leadership, the aggressiveness, the versatility, his craftiness, his BBIQ. He skilled and plays like a savvy vet at just 21 with an impressive offensive repertoire that allows him to draw fouls at a high rate. They for sure don't get this far without him. He has been that important to this SL team. So I am excited too.

The earlier comparisons of KA was that of Magic. Magic played PG, but Magic had a lot better handles and athleticism than KA.

What position did Larry Bird play? Was it SF? Isn't Bird too slow to play SF? Bird was in the roster with McHale and Parish, so he was slotted as a SF. Is KA playing SF for the Spurs? Is he good enough to make life difficult for SFs?

The Spurs second unit looks like this:

West
Diaw
Anderson
Ginobili
Mills

It seems a lot more versatile that the team that had Belinelli and Baynes in it. Can this team pile up a lot of points in a flash against opponents? I don't doubt it!!

ceperez
07-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Try this passing for size:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSHToRyiXs

AFBlue
07-20-2015, 10:27 PM
I expect he'll get rid of that pre-pubescent peach fuzz by training camp for fear of ridicule from his teammates.

spurraider21
07-20-2015, 10:28 PM

Kawhi - 32 mpg
Green - 28.5 mpg
Marco - 22 mpg
Gino - 22 mpg

BillMc
07-20-2015, 10:33 PM

:toast

cd98
07-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Anderson had a great summer league. But hold your horses. A lot of the competition is made up of D Leaguers. NBA is faster, stronger, and tougher. He may adjust just fine, but he's still got more to prove to crack the rotation consistently. Summer League just means he has improved his odds of getting minutes behind Kawhi at the outset.

silverblackfan
07-20-2015, 11:14 PM
The Spurs second unit looks like this:

West
Diaw
Anderson
Ginobili
Mills

Damn scary unit even with KL sitting on the bench.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-20-2015, 11:18 PM

I was more impressed with that one handed grab and pass in one motion that he made (Manuesque type pass). Although TBH he also had a wrap around and alley oop (Diaw type pass) lay in that looked just as sweet.

skulls138
07-20-2015, 11:37 PM
KA impressed me tonight. I still think he needs a 3 pointer but I'm not as adamant about it as I was before. He really has a huge bbiq and his talent is in melding with those around him and raising it up higher.

silverblackfan
07-20-2015, 11:55 PM
KA impressed me tonight. I still think he needs a 3 pointer but I'm not as adamant about it as I was before. He really has a huge bbiq and his talent is in melding with those around him and raising it up higher.

Which when add to the roster of the Spur players should have some interesting results. I am sure the other NBA coaches are not too worried.

SAGirl
07-21-2015, 03:02 AM
I expect he'll get rid of that pre-pubescent peach fuzz by training camp for fear of ridicule from his teammates.
I fear without that he will look like a veritable kid to remind everyone that he is still so young, so lets all temper our expectations ha ha.

Nathan89
07-21-2015, 03:44 AM
For him to be of any use this year he'll need to be able to hit the three point shot. Sure he has some skills that he can possibly take advantage of but the majority of the time he'll be off the ball behind the three point line. If he can't do that he can't be on the court.