PDA

View Full Version : Nascent Kurdish federation?

Winehole23
07-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Recently, Kurds on each side of the Turkey-Syria border have made significant advances in their quest for autonomy. In Turkey, those gains were won at the ballot box, while in Syria they were won on the battlefield. After garnering global sympathy and the support of U.S. airpower with their defense of Kobani against a formidable siege by the Islamic State (also called ISIS), Syria’s Kurds went on to capture the strategic town of Tel Abyad from ISIS on June 15. And as a result of Turkey’s elections a week earlier, the Kurdish-led People’s Democratic Party (HDP) has entered parliament, irrevocably altering Turkey’s political landscape. Indeed, seating the first Kurdish-oriented party in parliament constitutes a milestone for civil rights in Turkey. But in the context of events on both sides of the border, the true winner is Turkey’s outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), a party and militant group that initiated the HDP’s creation and whose Syrian affiliate, the Democratic Union Party (PYD),is responsiblefor the recent victories against ISIS.

The HDP’s entrance into Turkey’s parliament and the PYD’s control of Syrian territory mark a new chapter in the PKK’s decadelong attempt to create a pan-Kurdish confederation that would bring together the Middle East’s 30 million Kurds.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/turkey/2015-06-29/kurdish-consolidation

FuzzyLumpkins
07-05-2015, 01:21 PM
I'm fine with giving the Kurds northern Iraq. Better than the Persian descendants that refuse to cooperate with them who run Baghdad and the Sunnis who have dreams of caliphate.

m>s
07-05-2015, 02:12 PM
The Kurds deserve their own ethnic state, they are the most bro-tier of all the middle eastern peoples. They've been putting in work against Isis.

pgardn
07-05-2015, 02:23 PM
This maybe something we can all agree on.

m>s
07-05-2015, 02:26 PM
They are pretty much surrounded on all sides by genocidal nuts. This is the only way to ensure security and peace gortheir people and they are fighting as if they know it.

The Reckoning
07-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Kurds need their own country. Poor saps have been fighting every war just to avoid being cleansed.

boutons_deux
07-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Iraq, split in 3 independent countries, undoing the British empire disastrous country creation.

kurdistan, shiitistan, sunnistan.

m>s
07-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Iraq, split in 3 independent countries, undoing the British empire disastrous country creation.

I agree with you here, but I am curious why you feel this way about middle eastern ethnic states but not about european ethnic states? why should middle easterners get their own ethnic states but that right be denied to the various peoples of europe?

m>s
07-07-2015, 11:18 AM

I agree with you here, but I am curious why you feel this way about middle eastern ethnic states but not about european ethnic states? why should middle easterners get their own ethnic states but that right be denied to the various peoples of europe?

Hey I think you must have missed this one, I'm curious for your thoughts here.

m>s
07-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Bump

RandomGuy
07-07-2015, 04:59 PM
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/turkey/2015-06-29/kurdish-consolidation

Hope so. Kurds seem to have the only really functioning government in Iraq.

RandomGuy
07-07-2015, 05:02 PM

That depends on how granular you want to get. Are Scwhabians German? Rheinlanders?

I know of several sub-ethnicities within the modern state of germany.

If they really want to be their own country, let them, and let them do it as democratically as possible, IMO.

But I'm not Boutons, just trying to throw that in.

m>s
07-07-2015, 05:07 PM
That's the sane answer, although Germany isn't ruled democratically it's an illusion. But I really wanted to hear Boutons take on it.

HI-FI
07-07-2015, 05:39 PM
It's a good point but I imagine boutons has to iron out the quandaries with his superiors first.

Drachen
07-07-2015, 08:01 PM
That's the sane answer, although Germany isn't ruled democratically it's an illusion. But I really wanted to hear Boutons take on it.

How is it an illusion? Have you eve n read the Grundgesetzt?

m>s
07-07-2015, 10:13 PM
How is it an illusion? Have you eve n read the Grundgesetzt?

Theyve veen paying repatations for 6 decades and every time they pay one off they think up another one

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/world/europe/for-60th-year-germany-honors-duty-to-pay-holocaust-victims.html?referrer=&_r=0

they also have a foreign army and bases in their country. And we spy on them to make sure that thry don't get out of line. We all know if Germany were to try to reassert herself she'd probably get nuked. It's a phony fake so called friendship. German court just ruled the other day that the nazi government are actually legally still the rightful power in Germany.

LnGrrrR
07-08-2015, 04:13 AM
Kurds seem to be the only people without heir heads up their ... well you know.

m>s
07-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Boutons I have a question if you scroll up

m>s
07-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Boutons must be busy sheesh

Th'Pusher
07-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Boutons must be busy sheesh

How is the race war your boy out in South Carolina progressing? Are you happy with the results thus far?

m>s
07-09-2015, 11:52 AM
It didn't ignite like a bad fuse

Th'Pusher
07-09-2015, 12:03 PM
It didn't ignite like a bad fuse
Why do you think it failed? No real appetite?

Do you think your boy is happy that his murderous rampage was the catalyst for legislation that removed the confederate battle flag from the state capital?

Your hero's plan really blew up in his face. You'd likely have similar results if you actually had the intestinal fortitude to act on your deviant rhetoric. Good thing you're a pussy.

m>s
07-09-2015, 12:18 PM
I've said more than once that it was wrong what do you want a hug

Spur_Fanatic
07-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Kurds seem to be the only people without heir heads up their ... well you know.

You can perfectly say it. It's completely true.

boutons_deux
07-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Baghdad of course doesn't want to Kurds to have their own country, taking the northern oil fields with them.

The Turks will do everything they can, and I expect Iranians, too, to undercut if not block Kurdish region autonomy, and certainly a Kurdish state.

m>s
07-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Baghdad of course doesn't want to Kurds to have their own country, taking the northern oil fields with them.

The Turks will do everything they can, and I expect Iranians, too, to undercut if not block Kurdish region autonomy, and certainly a Kurdish state.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by m>s (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8091867#post8091867)

Th'Pusher
07-09-2015, 06:50 PM
I've said more than once that it was wrong what do you want a hug
Neutered :lol

Winehole23
07-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Turkish warplanes struck Kurdish militants in northern Iraq overnight Friday, expanding and complicating the air war launched by Turkey against the Islamic State in Syria a day before.

The strikes targeted weapons storage facilities and camps belonging to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party, or PKK, at its Mount Qandil headquarters in the remote mountains of Iraqi Kurdistan, according to a government statement.
There were also strikes for a second night in a row against the Islamic State in Syria, indicating that Turkey is now actively engaged in the war against the militants after months on the sidelines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/turkey-strikes-kurdish-militants-in-iraq-ending-truce/2015/07/25/1b7405b8-32b7-11e5-97ae-30a30cca95d7_story.html

Winehole23
07-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Turkey calls Article 4 meeting:

NATO said that its decision-making body, the North Atlantic Council, will convene Tuesday after Ankara invoked the alliance’s Article 4, which allows member states to request a meeting if they feel their territorial integrity or security is under threat.http://www.timesofisrael.com/turkey-seeks-nato-help-with-threats-to-its-security/

m>s
07-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Turkey attacked first they can't invoke shit

boutons_deux
07-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Thanks, Repugs. M/E instability, the gift that will give for DECADES.

Slutter McGee
07-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanks, Repugs. M/E instability, the gift that will give for DECADES.

Lybia? Syria? Policies supported by Obama. I agree, only the fault of Republicans.

Slutter McGee

boutons_deux
07-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Lybia? Syria? Policies supported by Obama. I agree, only the fault of Republicans.

Slutter McGee

The entire M/E, and north Africa up to Tunisia, was destabilized when dickhead/BigOil invaded and destroyed Iraq. The shit going on now is directly descended from 2003. Thanks, Repugs!

Slutter McGee
07-27-2015, 08:54 PM
The entire M/E, and north Africa up to Tunisia, was destabilized when dickhead/BigOil invaded and destroyed Iraq. The shit going on now is directly descended from 2003. Thanks, Repugs!

HAHA 2003 as the start of middle east destabilization. How old are you...15? Don't get me wrong, Iraq was a huge mistake and made things much worse, but grow up and admit that your party has been just about as bad when it comes to interfering in Middle East affairs.

Slutter McGee

velik_m
07-28-2015, 12:12 AM
"The Turkey-Syria border, the Turkey-Iraq border is Nato's responsibility to protect," Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said.

"Rather than an operational decision [at Tuesday's meeting], we are hoping all allies understand Turkey's intentions and for them to support Turkey in its security measures when needed in the ongoing fight."

Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has said the PKK and its allies in Syria are the same as IS and must be eradicated.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33682972

So now NATO will fight the troops they just supplied with weapons? Will they stop supplying them with weapons, while they bomb them? I'm so confused... No wonder they made barely any progress against IS.

boutons_deux
07-28-2015, 05:00 AM
HAHA 2003 as the start of middle east destabilization. How old are you...15? Don't get me wrong, Iraq was a huge mistake and made things much worse, but grow up and admit that your party has been just about as bad when it comes to interfering in Middle East affairs.

Slutter McGee

Bullshit and typical false equivalence.

Winehole23
08-16-2015, 04:30 PM
long form article by Dexter Filkins on ISIS and the Kurds:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/29/fight-lives

Pelicans78
08-16-2015, 04:41 PM

You do know that Democrats voted for the war as well. The war doesn't happen without either side. Quit being a slurper.

boutons_deux
08-16-2015, 04:43 PM
You do know that Democrats voted for the war as well

The Repugs lied.

Pelicans78
08-16-2015, 04:46 PM
The Repugs lied.

Wrong. The Democrats weren't well-prepared. The evidence was right in their faces and they failed to act. They caved in to public pressure of having a strong foreign policy after 9/11. Quit being a slurper.

Pelicans78
08-16-2015, 04:53 PM
What's the matter bouton? Internet slowed down? Having trouble finding fake articles to suit your pathetic point of view?