PDA

View Full Version : Did Governor Blanco Have to Ask For Help?

Nbadan
09-12-2005, 01:31 PM
At least that's the way I read it, after perusing the copy of the Stafford Act on FEMA's website, at Link (http://www.fema.gov/library/stafact.shtm) .

Bush supporters are making a fuss over the point that the governor had to request active-duty troops, or request them in the proper way, and Governor Blanco supposedly failed in this respect. It's been suggested here and elsewhere that the governors of Mississippi and Alabama probably were given advice on requesting troops by the feds, and I read an article i which Blanco was referring to an ex-governor which had reportedly been coached by FEMA.

Blanco should have received such help, too, according to section 302 of the Stafford Act, which refers to coordinating officers:

Functions of Federal coordinating officer

In order to effectuate the purposes of this Act, the Federal coordinating officer, within the affected area, shall--

1. make an initial appraisal of the types of relief most urgently needed;
2. establish such field offices as he deems necessary and as are authorized by the President;
3. coordinate the administration of relief, including activities of the State and local governments, the American National Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the Mennonite Disaster Service, and other relief or disaster assistance organizations, which agree to operate under his advice or direction, except that nothing contained in this Act shall limit or in any way affect the responsibilities of the American National Red Cross under the Act of January 5, 1905, as amended (33 Stat. 599) <36 U.S.C. §§ 1 et seq.>; and;
4. take such other action, consistent with authority delegated to him by the President, and consistent with the provisions of this Act, as he may deem necessary to assist local citizens and public officials in promptly obtaining assistance to which they are entitled.;
5. State coordinating officer When the President determines assistance under this Act is necessary, he shall request that the Governor of the affected State designate a State coordinating officer for the purpose of coordinating State and local disaster assistance efforts with those of the Federal Government.

It's #4 there, the requirement to "assist local citizens and public officials in promptly obtaining assistance to which they are entitled," that places any blame the White House is trying to shift to Blanco squarely back on them. The federal government has advisory responsibilities under the Stafford Act. The "it's her fault because she didn't ask" excuse ignores the law.

Section 402 of the Stafford Act also states that the President may "provide techical and advisory assistance to affected State and local governments."

Nbadan
09-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Oooppssiieee...I guess someone must have pointed this out to the Washington Post because today they issued a retraction of their story...

(snip)

On Sunday, September 4, the Washington Post quoted an anonymous White House source as saying that in the critical days as New Orleans was filling with water, the White House was prevented from sending federal assistance to aid flood victims because of a technicality—Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco had not declared a state of emergency. On its face, the claim seemed absurd—thousands of New Orleanians were left to drown, dehydrate, and starve because of a technicality? And indeed, only hours later, the Post was forced to publish an above-the-story correction revealing how badly they had been burned by their anonymous White House source:

Correction to This Article:

A Sept. 4 article on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina incorrectly said that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D) had not declared a state of emergency. She declared an emergency on Aug. 26. "

The quote may have revealed a blatant White House effort to steer the "blame game" toward the Democratic governor (all the while directing the White House and its supporters to respond to critics, as if in chorus, with variations of the pious phrase, "Now's not the time to play the blame game.")

Village Voice (http://villagevoice.com/news/0537,rozen,67724,2.html)

To late, WP, the propaganda is already out there.

Clandestino
09-12-2005, 04:49 PM
if you want help, you fucking ask!

The Ressurrected One
09-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Obviously, I didn't read Nbadan's putrid post (as I'm sure it was just that) but, in answer to the question posed in his subject line; that is, emphatically, yes.

Unless, of course, you want to federalize all government and have Washington in control of everything from garbage pick up to meter reading. States have rights...and responsibilities.

boutons
09-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Clandestino, TRO, Vashner, etc keep the discussion real, serious, adult.

hussker
09-12-2005, 06:04 PM
There was an interesting "off line" yet recorded comment I saw today with Gov Blanco. She made a statement 'I wish I had called for the federal government earlier." This was after she stated in another program that she had already contacted the Federal government. AND, BEST OF ALL, it was on CNN.

Hook Dem
09-12-2005, 06:26 PM
"She made a statement 'I wish I had called for the federal government earlier." This was after she stated in another program that she had already contacted the Federal government. AND, BEST OF ALL, it was on CNN."..........Imagine that!!!!! :lol

The Ressurrected One
09-12-2005, 06:43 PM
I also think it would be instructive for all the lefties, in this forum, to go back and review the press conference held the Monday, after the hurricane struck but before the levees broke, by Democratic officials from Louisiana. They had glowing praise for the federal response.

hussker
09-12-2005, 07:16 PM
I also think it would be instructive for all the lefties, in this forum, to go back and review the press conference held the Monday, after the hurricane struck but before the levees broke, by Democratic officials from Louisiana. They had glowing praise for the federal response.
<----Puts finger on nose and points at TRO...

Vashner
09-12-2005, 08:19 PM
She NEVER invoked state wide martial law.
She refused to authorize the president to deploy the 82nd Airborne rapid reaction unit and a Marine ready group for over 24 hours after they had a meeting on AF1.
She didn't allow food and water into the Superdome and convention center. For fear it would attract more people. She wanted them out and not to stay.

It's more of a matter of she didn't lead properly than her lack of help. Her lack of saying "yes" or following the printed plan and saying NO didn't help anything on the ground.

hussker
09-12-2005, 08:28 PM
She NEVER invoked state wide martial law.
She refused to authorize the president to deploy the 82nd Airborne rapid reaction unit and a Marine ready group for over 24 hours after they had a meeting on AF1.
She didn't allow food and water into the Superdome and convention center. For fear it would attract more people. She wanted them out and not to stay.

It's more of a matter of she didn't lead properly than her lack of help. Her lack of saying "yes" or following the printed plan and saying NO didn't help anything on the ground.
<------Points finger at nose points index finger and middle finger at Vashner and TRO sitting side by side.

Clandestino
09-12-2005, 09:12 PM
you would think all coastal governors would have learned from FL Gov Chiles in 1992. he fucked up big time