PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony vs. LaMarcus Aldridge

coopdogg3
07-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Hey guys, just fleshing out an idea here. Seems like Carmelo Anthony's free agent choices were similar to LaMarcus Aldridge's choices. Last year, Anthony could have gone to the Chicago Bulls, a contender or remain with the Knicks (who were and are a hot mess) for more years and money. He chose the Knicks.

Aldridge seems to have had a similar choice - stay with the Blazers for more years and money or play for a contender. He chose the Spurs. I guess it's possible Anthony's current frustrations with the Knicks may have influenced his decision. Carmelo Anthony may be wishing he had chosen the Bulls, though I'm pretty sure Chicago is fine with how things turned out.

Anyway, just thought it was a semi-interesting similar situation.

DMX7
07-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Yeah, Carmelo doesn't look very happy right now.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Carmelo is not about winning...

lmbebo
07-05-2015, 05:01 PM
I don't blame Anthony for his choice last year.

Anthony chose to stay where his home is, where his kids go to school, etc. He choose the money as well.

Aldridge chose to move closer to home and where his kids are. He didn't give up too much money. He'll probably opt out after 3rd year and sign another Max deal when he can get even more money.

In terms of winning situations, I think both players wanted to win. Anthony wanted everything and a winning situation, just happened that his choice wasn't setup to do that. Aldridge was fortunate that the team that got him closer to family/home happened to be a great team.

Mr. Body
07-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Anthony is completely beside the point in this league. He has no impact on it whatsoever, and Chicago dodged one there.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Carmelo wants to be a media figure and expand his brand, he has said so himself..his decision to go to New York made sense, tbh..

Chinook
07-05-2015, 05:30 PM
The Bulls never freed up a max slot. The contract they were offering was likr half of what the Knicks offered. The Bulls are also not the Spurs. Don't blame Melo at all.

SPURt
07-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Carmelo is as irrelevant to this generation as Alex English was to his. Both could score, but neither could win. It's kind of amazing how little Carmelo's talent has brought to his team's overall success.

With that said, Melo and Tibs would have been nuclear from day one. The biggest difference between the two situations is Pop and Duncan, but especially Pop since he claims to want to be there for LMA's entire contract.

Mr Bones
07-05-2015, 05:45 PM
When you look at the decisions LeBron has made and compare them to the decisions Melo has made, Melo's choices just don't seem very good. LeBron gave the Cavs a good amount of time to build around him in Cleveland, and then left when they didn't. After four straight finals with one of his best friends as a teammate, he left to return home to a team that finally had some young talent. Both good decisions in my opinion. Melo's legacy will be he was a pretty good player who decided money was the most important thing. LaMarcus now reminds me of LeBron-- he was extremely patient with Portland and they didn't deliver. Some of it was bad luck with Roy and Oden, but still, as a 30 year old star, it seems to me that LeMarcus is making a sound decision.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2015, 05:52 PM
When you look at the decisions LeBron has made and compare them to the decisions Melo has made, Melo's choices just don't seem very good. LeBron gave the Cavs a good amount of time to build around him in Cleveland, and then left when they didn't. After four straight finals with one of his best friends as a teammate, he left to return home to a team that finally had some young talent. Both good decisions in my opinion. Melo's legacy will be he was a pretty good player who decided money was the most important thing. LaMarcus now reminds me of LeBron-- he was extremely patient with Portland and they didn't deliver. Some of it was bad luck with Roy and Oden, but still, as a 30 year old star, it seems to me that LeMarcus is making a sound decision.
Im not sold on that Wade-Lebron best friendship ever, best friends dont cost you 11 million dollars.