benstanfield
07-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Probably playing power forward somewhere while being 6'7

benefactor
07-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Likely in Europe until he retires.

Texas_Ranger
07-05-2015, 07:14 PM
had a pretty solid season at Barcelona which is like a top 4 club in Europe.

Chinook
07-05-2015, 07:41 PM
had a pretty solid season at Barcelona which is like a top 4 club in Europe.

Yeah, at the moment, he is the best player the Spurs have stashed. He's not the best prospect, of course. He's one of the worst because he has no real room for growth. But the Spurs could do a lot worse than have him on the bench playing the Bonner role. Dude can shoot, pass and rebound. He just can't defend at all.

SilverSpur
07-06-2015, 10:21 AM
If we keep losing players, he will be playing with us this year.

jyra
07-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Not sure if it means anything but he has posted two pictures of himself wearing a Miami Heat hat:

https://instagram.com/p/4w5N-Qs4Yd/?taken-by=dt1upncomin

https://instagram.com/p/4xi5ASM4TV/?taken-by=dt1upncomin

FireMicoHalili
07-06-2015, 12:52 PM
doubt he and Marcus Denmon crack the roster. They do one thing exceptionally well (post scoring for Thomas, shooting for Denmon) but are severely ill-equipped to thrive in the NBA.

FromWayDowntown
09-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Despite his interview difficulty, San Antonio drafted Thomas with the No. 58 pick in 2013. The last two years, they offered him the required tender – a one-year contract, surely unguaranteed and at the league minimum, necessary to retain his rights. Both years, Thomas rejected it in favor of signing in Europe, allowing San Antonio to carry his rights another year.

But he’s apparently no longer willing to put off an NBA deal.

The Spurs have until tomorrow to offer Thomas the tender. If they don’t, he’ll immediately become an unrestricted free agent.

If he accepts the tender, he’ll either make the regular-season roster or he won’t. Either would get him closer to the NBA. San Antonio keeping him would obviously get him there immediately. But even if he’s waived, he could negotiate with all 30 NBA teams. As is, only the Spurs, who hold his draft rights, can sign him.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/04/report-former-second-rounder-deshaun-thomas-will-accept-spurs-tender-if-offered/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Chinook
09-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Yeah, we were talking about this in the Training Camp thread. I don't see why they don't try to lock him up to a three-year deal with a bit of guaranteed money. Much better financial investment than Jimmer.

kobyz
09-04-2015, 11:21 AM
I don't know about him, in Barca he looked somewhat lackadaisical, no much fire and toughness, wasn't much a success and didn't seems he transition well to man ball...

AFMadison
09-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Let him walk

SAGirl
09-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Sounds like he is forcing the issue because he wants to get in the NBA, either with the Spurs or with another team. If the Spurs are not interested at all, it is time to let him go. I did not know this, but in the article it states that because he was a 2nd round draft pick, were he to get injured during training camp his contract would become guaranteed.
"There is a downside, though. Required tenders can’t include an Exhibit 9, which offers teams protection if a player gets hurt. If Thomas injures himself during training camp, his contract would become guaranteed until he can play again. San Antonio might determine Thomas’ odds of making the team are too low to warrant such a risk. Thomas faces potential downside with this route, too. If the Spurs bring him to camp and waive him before the regular season, he won’t receive more than per diem. During that time, he could miss out on more-lucrative overseas options."

tholdren
09-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Yeah, at the moment, he is the best player the Spurs have stashed. He's not the best prospect, of course. He's one of the worst because he has no real room for growth. But the Spurs could do a lot worse than have him on the bench playing the Bonner role. Dude can shoot, pass and rebound. He just can't defend at all.
he is one of the few players i have watched in high school to have success then totally change his game for the worse in college. In fact, Ive never seen anything like that.

Raven
09-04-2015, 04:06 PM
let him go

ceperez
09-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Roster is already loaded.

He should try to play elsewhere.

Ice009
09-04-2015, 11:26 PM
he is one of the few players i have watched in high school to have success then totally change his game for the worse in college. In fact, Ive never seen anything like that.

What did he change in his game?

littlecoyotecoin
09-05-2015, 09:31 AM
For those that don't remember:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/17/deshaun-thomas-refuses-to-give-spurs-his-phone-number/#comments

BillMc
09-05-2015, 10:15 AM
I say let him come to camp. Competition is always good. Cut him early if you're worried about the injury risk, but at least give him a couple of days to compete and compare against the other low hanging fruit on the team.

RD2191
09-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Dude is trash.

Gladney to see you
09-06-2015, 08:48 AM
I like his game.

spursnatic
09-06-2015, 10:54 AM
I like his game also..I really think he could contribute to the Team given the chance

MaNu4Tres
09-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Bye.

Kuvai
09-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Better than cancerous PORKET at this moment...

Kuvai
09-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Dude is trash.

I agree...

tholdren
09-07-2015, 04:25 PM
What did he change in his game?

Sophmore/JR year at OSU. Went from an Evan Turner type scorer, using his body to get points, to a half-ass three point shooter. He just wanted to shoot the ball stopped doing the hustle things.

ace3g
09-18-2015, 06:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/435394742369914880/HN-cPXcI_bigger.jpeg David Pick ‏@IAmDPick (https://twitter.com/IAmDPick)

Spurs filed tender deal to DeShaun Thomas, source said. Per IG, he is in San Antonio.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPOF5RGUcAAr4G9.jpg
(https://twitter.com/IAmDPick/status/645006410372153344/photo/1)

Chinook
09-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Again, mad disappointed that it's just the tender. Would have gone after a multi-year deal. But I'm glad they didn't foolishly decide not to tender him. He's worth a look in camp, and unlike Simmons and Jimmer, he's tradeable if he's on the outs for the roster next month.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Does that mean Thomas accepted their qualifying offer?

turkish spurs fan
09-18-2015, 06:54 PM
i dont like him

tholdren
09-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Ditto - this allows parker to think its okay to be fat and out of shape.

SAGirl
09-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Again, mad disappointed that it's just the tender. Would have gone after a multi-year deal. But I'm glad they didn't foolishly decide not to tender him. He's worth a look in camp, and unlike Simmons and Jimmer, he's tradeable if he's on the outs for the roster next month. Makes sense to tender him. He can shoot, but not much of passer based on last SL and defense and size are average or below average, but he'd be end of the bench guy anyway. Spurs may have an idea who they want but it's better to take a look at him before releasing him altogether. I think it's unlikely he make the team, but it's not impossible. If his character is not a good fit, he won't make it no matter if he can shoot though.

exstatic
09-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Again, mad disappointed that it's just the tender. Would have gone after a multi-year deal. But I'm glad they didn't foolishly decide not to tender him. He's worth a look in camp, and unlike Simmons and Jimmer, he's tradeable if he's on the outs for the roster next month.

I think you have an over inflated idea of DTs value around the league, versus, say Simmons. Every team ahead of us in that draft with two picks passed on him twice, and while he was OK, he didn't exactly light Europe on fire. I don't even think the Spurs value him that much. They signed a full roster, plus a few other camp guys, and then at the 11th hour, gave him his tender. To me, that says they don't see him making their 15 man roster in any situation.

tholdren
09-20-2015, 08:28 AM
I think you have an over inflated idea of DTs value around the league, versus, say Simmons. Every team ahead of us in that draft with two picks passed on him twice, and while he was OK, he didn't exactly light Europe on fire. I don't even think the Spurs value him that much. They signed a full roster, plus a few other camp guys, and then at the 11th hour, gave him his tender. To me, that says they don't see him making their 15 man roster in any situation.
bonner replacement at best, with a worse three ball. I do not understand why they signed or even mess with Thomas, when you had another, better, unproven shooter in Jon Diebler. Shooting 41% in Turkey. Same terrible defensive skills, but he can linger around the 3 point line and knock em down.

Chinook
09-20-2015, 08:36 AM
I think you have an over inflated idea of DTs value around the league, versus, say Simmons.

No. Simmons literally can't be traded until December, whereas Thomas becomes tradeable 30 days after he inks a contract. That's the CBA, not who's the better prospect.

tholdren
09-20-2015, 08:41 AM
No. Simmons literally can't be traded until December, whereas Thomas becomes tradeable 30 days after he inks a contract. That's the CBA, not who's the better prospect.
Who would possibly want DT? and there is literally nothing of value for him, is there? Unless SA would ship him with someone else? I see SA keeping Williams over Simmons.

Chinook
09-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Who would possibly want DT? and there is literally nothing of value for him, is there? Unless SA would ship him with someone else? I see SA keeping Williams over Simmons.

They're likely cutting both of them, since they're the 16th and 17th guys right now. I don't see Thomas having value, but he did show he was a solid Euroleauge player who can score and is more athletic than he was in college, so you never know. You're right they could use his salary as trade ballast, although it's only like $525k. The Spurs could combine Thomas, Williams, Anderson and McCallum for a player making $4.5 Million or so. That's the best they could do, and they wouldn't do that, since they obviously like Anderson and McCallum, and that would add millions to their tax bill.

tholdren
09-20-2015, 08:59 AM
They're likely cutting both of them, since they're the 16th and 17th guys right now. I don't see Thomas having value, but he did show he was a solid Euroleauge player who can score and is more athletic than he was in college, so you never know. You're right they could use his salary as trade ballast, although it's only like $525k. The Spurs could combine Thomas, Williams, Anderson and McCallum for a player making $4.5 Million or so. That's the best they could do, and they wouldn't do that, since they obviously like Anderson and McCallum, and that would add millions to their tax bill.

So what do you see as the 15 man roster this year?

Chinook
09-20-2015, 09:04 AM
So what do you see as the 15 man roster this year?

Pretty much all the guys with guaranteed money:

PG: Parker, Mills, McCallum
SG: Green, Ginobili, Fredette
SF: Leonard, Anderson, Simmons
PF: Aldridge, West, Bonner
C: Duncan, Diaw, Marjanovic

But Jimmer, Simmons and Bonner are not set in stone to make the team. The former two guys would probably be claimed if waived, so their guaranteed money isn't that big of a deal. Bonner most likely has a spot, but Thomas has more upside, so if he impresses, it makes sense for Matt to go. He might also be claimed, though it's not as likely in my opinion.

Raven
09-20-2015, 09:15 AM
i doubt he'll make the team.

exstatic
09-20-2015, 09:44 AM

I see Williams and Thomas as 16/17, not Simmons. Williams was just horrible last year, and Thomas' combine numbers in agility and sprints, after months of pre-combine workouts and preparation, were worse than Blair's. He could never guard NBA wings. What you probably thought you saw in terms of athleticism was him guarding Euros. All you have to see in terms of Spurs interest is that they 11th hour tendered Thomas, and literally pulled Simmons off another team's SL bus in another city with a multi-year contract, first year fully guaranteed. That's night and day to me, and speaks to who they think can or will make the 15 man roster.

exstatic
09-20-2015, 09:49 AM

But Jimmer, Simmons and Bonner are not set in stone to make the team. The former two guys would probably be claimed if waived, so their guaranteed money isn't that big of a deal. Bonner most likely has a spot, but Thomas has more upside, so if he impresses, it makes sense for Matt to go. He might also be claimed, though it's not as likely in my opinion.

I see Jimmer and Bonner as more likely mid-season casualties than camp cuts. One or both of them could be let go at the end of their guaranteed money to make room for a trade, a China returnee, or a buyout pickup. There's usually tastier stuff available in Feb/Mar than there is right after camp. See: Boris Diaw, Patty Mills, Aron Baynes.

tholdren
09-20-2015, 09:54 AM
I see Jimmer and Bonner as more likely mid-season casualties than camp cuts. One or both of them could be let go at the end of their guaranteed money to make room for a trade, a China returnee, or a buyout pickup. There's usually tastier stuff available in Feb/Mar than there is right after camp. See: Boris Diaw, Patty Mills, Aron Baynes.
do you really see SA parting ways with Bonner this season, when it could be multiple last seasons for SA players?

exstatic
09-20-2015, 10:09 AM
do you really see SA parting ways with Bonner this season, when it could be multiple last seasons for SA players?

Yes, if the right player(s) were available. I'm not sure why they would only partially guarantee him otherwise.

Cklbmk
09-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Bonner to coaching staff confirmed

Chinook
09-20-2015, 10:29 AM
I see Williams and Thomas as 16/17, not Simmons. Williams was just horrible last year, and Thomas' combine numbers in agility and sprints, after months of pre-combine workouts and preparation, were worse than Blair's. He could never guard NBA wings. What you probably thought you saw in terms of athleticism was him guarding Euros. All you have to see in terms of Spurs interest is that they 11th hour tendered Thomas, and literally pulled Simmons off another team's SL bus in another city with a multi-year contract, first year fully guaranteed. That's night and day to me, and speaks to who they think can or will make the 15 man roster.

Thought he meant Williams over Thomas. VERY unlikely they cut Simmons, I agree. I only see him at risk if he has an abysmal camp. But it's still possible, which is not the case for the rotation guys.

Chinook
09-20-2015, 10:31 AM

I agree. But I am saying that those three spots are the ones Thomas would be the mix to take if he plays well. I'd say that Simmons is a near-lock, Jimmer is a lock to get out of camp unless he plays poorly, and Bonner is a lock unless Thomas plays noticeably better than him (meaning it isn't really up to Matt since we know what he's going to give the team).

SAGirl
09-20-2015, 01:00 PM

I think he only makes the team if Bonner or Jimmer can't shoot. Bonner stated the decline in his shooting % was the chronic elbow injury. He said it was cellphone use, but it might be repetitive use sports related injury. Meaning when Bonner starts to play BB again and practice shooting on a high volume again, it could resurface. I think this is a possibility. Jimmer obviously is on a tryout and now has to eff out both Williams and Thomas. Thomas must know it's an uphill climb, but it's not like he has no chance.

tholdren
09-20-2015, 01:03 PM
I just don't understand the infatuation with Thomas, when you could probably get a better 3pt shooter.

SAGirl
09-20-2015, 05:56 PM
I just don't understand the infatuation with Thomas, when you could probably get a better 3pt shooter.
From me, none. He forced himself into camp and there are two guys there who are not fully guaranteed. It's unlikely he'll beat either, but it's not impossible. Personally, I am not sold on Bonner being useful this season at all. He has always been a very limited player with his slow shot and reluctance to shoot, but he at least had an excellent % on those shots he did take in the RS. This past season he inexplicably shot awful and then said he had a chronic elbow injury. He might be done TBH. There is a chance that injury is from sports related overuse and that it could return. That is why I think he's only a partial guarantee. Jimmer and Williams are also in competition.
Chinook might like him. I am neutral, but don't discard at all the possibility he might bump someone. I am not taking Bonner or the other end of bench spot as guaranteed for anyone. It is up for grabs to me.

exstatic
09-20-2015, 06:21 PM
From me, none. He forced himself into camp and there are two guys there who are not fully guaranteed. It's unlikely he'll beat either, but it's not impossible. Personally, I am not sold on Bonner being useful this season at all. He has always been a very limited player with his slow shot and reluctance to shoot, but he at least had an excellent % on those shots he did take in the RS. This past season he inexplicably shot awful and then said he had a chronic elbow injury. He might be done TBH. There is a chance that injury is from sports related overuse and that it could return. That is why I think he's only a partial guarantee. Jimmer and Williams are also in competition.
Chinook might like him. I am neutral, but don't discard at all the possibility he might bump someone. I am not taking Bonner or the other end of bench spot as guaranteed for anyone. It is up for grabs to me.

It's funny, but Bonner's "awful" year from beyond the arc was 36.5%, above the league average and still exceptional for a big. He's spoiled us with year after year of 40+% from long. All time, for guys 6'10" or taller with 500+ attempts, Matt Bonner is SECOND in 3G% (41.4), only behind Steve Novak (43.1), who has 500 fewer attempts. To put that into perspective, Splash Brother Klay Thompson, has a career 3G% of 41.8.

tholdren
09-20-2015, 06:26 PM
It's funny, but Bonner's "awful" year from beyond the arc was 36.5%, above the league average and still exceptional for a big. He's spoiled us with year after year of 40+% from long. All time, for guys 6'10" or taller with 500+ attempts, Matt Bonner is SECOND in 3G% (41.4), only behind Steve Novak (43.1), who has 500 fewer attempts. To put that into perspective, Splash Brother Klay Thompson, has a career 3G% of 41.8.

Too bad Bonner shoots like garbage in big time and shoots big in garbage time.

In the playoffs he has shot 35% and only eclipsed that mark 2 out of 9 playoff seasons. Where he has shot 25% or less 4 of 9 seasons....

SAGirl
09-20-2015, 06:38 PM
I think 36.5 is not good for him because he doesn't help you in other ways. He doesn't rebound well for his position and he's below average defensively and not a versatile playmaker for a stretch 4. He's a good team defender and a smart player who stays in his role. But the way he helps you win games really is spot shooting at a high clip. He doesn't help you other ways. A % like that would be terrific for Diaw or a guy like Draymond Green. Even Anderson at that % would be awesome to me. Those are guys who can help your team win in many ways other than shoot the 3 from a spot at an elite level. Either they bring playmaking, a versatility in scoring ability or elite defense and passing, so if they shoot less than 36% they will help you win games in other ways. Bonner does none of that. He stands in a spot somewhere opening the court for others to make plays, with his feet set and then shot 36.5 which meant there were many, many games where he did not give you a thing. If Bonner is not recovering his shot, he's done. Like I said, he's limited. He's had a niche in the league shooting a high %. He's not even a volume shooter. He took less than 2 threes in 20 mins per game last year and only hit 36.5. That is not good enough and team's playing small ball these days annihilate him since they can close out on his shot and then kill him on the other end. The Bonner era might be over, specially if his shooting slump is a result of a repetitive use injury.