oh well, at least we tried

in2deep
07-06-2015, 09:45 AM

spurspokesman
07-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Smh

100%duncan
07-06-2015, 09:51 AM
I think West comes here tbh. He personally said he wanted gsw or spurs and Pop is courting him hard. Dont lose hope

BillMc
07-06-2015, 09:54 AM
"possibly" is not "definitely"

in2deep
07-06-2015, 09:58 AM
I think West comes here tbh. He personally said he wanted gsw or spurs and Pop is courting him hard. Dont lose hope

TheGoldStandard
07-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Joe Johnson would be the bigger get. He's a 3rd option player not a #1 or #2. Kyrie, Johnson and James is a pretty solid lineup again their bench is gonna suck though

Rev Hill
07-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Wouldn't Cav's have to do some major unloading for Johnson? Haywood- $10M; Johnson- $25M Would have to trade Varejao and not sure that would fly. Plus he is $10M. If they could pull off would open a slot for West, which would stink. Spurs really need to push hard to get David West. Perfect player the Spurs need...obviously other holes to fill, which I'm sure the Spurs will do fine. My concerns is size- losing Baynes. Aldridge essentially replace Splitter in just overall size. Baynes really developed but think the Spurs should be able to get someone comparable with the attraction now of playing with Spurs/+Aldridge.

BillMc
07-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Joe Johnson would be the bigger get. He's a 3rd option player not a #1 or #2. Kyrie, Johnson and James is a pretty solid lineup again their bench is gonna suck though

Love too. Or are you assuming he's traded?

Mr. Body
Johnson + West equals championship got for Cleveland, I think.

Rev Hill

Remember West is not from Ohio. Just played college ball there. Orig from NJ and played high school ball in NC. I'm sure from Xavier days he has ties no doubt but unless Cavs trade some of their bigs, how would he really fit in? Pop needs to go hard sell on West and grab him before other opportunities open up. Maybe that's what that "to go" bottle of wine was for that Pop was carrying?

TheGoldStandard
07-06-2015, 10:05 AM
No, but I think Love would get lost in that ball hogging fest. Love just wanted to get paid

NASpurs
07-06-2015, 10:06 AM
timvp said West grew up a Spurs fan so at least there's that.

benefactor
07-06-2015, 10:07 AM
:lol...all that excitement then quitting before the season starts.

Never change, ST.

BillMc
07-06-2015, 10:08 AM
No, but I think Love would get lost in that ball hogging fest. Love just wanted to get paid
I see. Yeah, he took the money, might get a ring, but his usage rates will be reduced with this crew.

NASpurs
07-06-2015, 10:09 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/david-west-its-how-you-finish-part-ii

West plays his game, too, an altogether different game than what the likes of George play. It's all fundamental stuff, really, power moves, mostly. Nothing fancier than a step-back jumper. It's a game that fits his upbringing and his personality. This is a guy, after all, who grew up in the shadows of New York City in the early-to-mid-nineties when the Knicks were threatening to win titles, but felt a stronger connection to the San Antonio Spurs of David Robinson and Sean ******. His favorite college player at the time was Tim Duncan, and when Duncan joined the Spurs in 1997, following West's junior year in high school, West hung the “Twin Towers” poster of Robinson and Duncan on his bedroom wall.

BatManu20
07-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Cavs will be paying more luxury tax than even Prokorov did. Dan Gilbert's a dumbass. A very rich dumbass, but a dumbass nonetheless.

in2deep
07-06-2015, 10:11 AM

7 time allstar still averaging 18ppg in the playoffs

:pctoss

game set match

SpursFan86

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, even if we fill out our roster nicely, Cleveland with those two would just be insane. I mean I won't say they'll be unbeatable (plus you never know what will happen with injuries), but they'll absolutely be favorites. People here will act like they're no threat at all, but a Kyrie/Johnson/LeBron/Love/Mozgov lineup is just ridiculous. Then throw in guys like Shumpert/JR/West/Thompson off the bench...pretty crazy.

Fortunately, it's not a given they'd go through with this trade even if Brooklyn accepts. LeBron has close ties with Varejao...I'm not so sure he'd be okay with them trading him away, even if it makes sense given his injury history + getting Joe Johnson in return. And we all know LeBron has Gilbert by the balls :lol

jermaine
How in the fuck can this kinda shit happen!?! The sadnesses of one team to try an buy a championship. No way West goes there. He'd get waaaaay more PT here.

BillMc
07-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Cavs will be paying more luxury tax than even Prokorov did. Dan Gilbert's a dumbass. A very rich dumbass, but a dumbass nonetheless.

He's giving LeBron everything he wants. Not so bad in the short run, but long term this team will be strapped...

Brazil
07-06-2015, 10:20 AM
:lol people bitching because other teams are making moves to improve their roster... no shit sherlock... you think they gonna just watch Spurs getting better and stand pat ?

cd98
07-06-2015, 10:20 AM
He's giving LeBron everything he wants. Not so bad in the short run, but long term this team will be strapped...

Yes, bu if he wins a title for Cavs, it will be worth it for him. He can sell the team for a billion dollars. Luxury tax is peanuts.

hater
07-06-2015, 10:21 AM
:lmao Lebron

reaching Kobe levels goddam

Johnson in the Cavs and season is a wrap. goddam

it was fun while it lasted :lol

TheGoldStandard
07-06-2015, 10:22 AM
What would that payroll look like for Gilbert.. Everyone on that starting lineup sans Mozgov making close to 20 mil a season.

buttsR4rebounding
07-06-2015, 10:23 AM

That's what they did before. With the relatively stable cap it killed them. With the cap exploding it will extend the window that this strategy can be effective.

hater
07-06-2015, 10:23 AM
:lol people bitching because other teams are making moves to improve their roster... no shit sherlock... you think they gonna just watch Spurs getting better and stand pat ?

LOL

we are talking about a 7 time allstar who can easily be a 2nd banana in most teams going to join Lebron and Kyrie :lol

holy hell

ceperez
07-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Love too. Or are you assuming he's traded?

Love already signed deal with Cavs. With Mosgov already in, Verajao contract is expendable.

hater
07-06-2015, 10:26 AM
LMAO if this happens the Cavs could possibly have 5 guys play the allstar game :lol

ceperez
07-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Tristan Thomas hasn't even signed yet... so I don't see how they are even thinking of getting West.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-06-2015, 10:27 AM

West doesn't like Lebron. So I would be surprise he goes there. Plus you Thompson, Varajeo, Love and Mosgov all ahead of him. He would instantly be the #2 guy behind Tim for the center spot, which he is strong enough to play. Diaw would be backing up LMA. Adding someone like Scola would be a luxury at that point.

SpursFan86
07-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Their roster could potentially look like this...

Kyrie/Dellavedova
Joe Johnson/Shumpert
LeBron/JR Smith
Love/West
Mozgov/Thompson

Sheesh.

Obstructed_View
07-06-2015, 10:29 AM
David West has strong ties to whoever pays him the most money. He's trying to play himself off as a leader and a guy who's driven to win. Why do people keep buying in to that? He's got some possible value to the Spurs if he takes next to nothing, but other than that, is he an improvement over Jeff Ayres?

RD2191
07-06-2015, 10:30 AM
David West has strong ties to whoever pays him the most money. He's trying to play himself off as a leader and a guy who's driven to win. Why do people keep buying in to that? He's got some possible value to the Spurs if he takes next to nothing, but other than that, is he an improvement over Jeff Ayres?

baseline bum

Dude, that would be a freaking stacked 10 man rotation

PG Irving/Dellavedova
SG Johnson/Jones
SF James/Shumpert
PF Love/West
C Mozgov/Thompson

And still have Mike Miller for injury insurance.

SpursFan86
Tristan Thomas hasn't even signed yet... so I don't see how they are even thinking of getting West.

Well he's a RFA, and him and Lebron have the same agent. There's basically no chance at all that Thompson ends up going anywhere else.

baseline bum
07-06-2015, 10:31 AM

Not sure if serious, he opted out of $12 million.

TheGoldStandard
07-06-2015, 10:31 AM

PG Irving/Dellavedova
SG Johnson/Jones
SF James/Shumpert
PF Love/West
C Mozgov/Thompson

Crazy that Thompson who'll make close to 20+ will be coming off the bench.

BillMc
07-06-2015, 10:32 AM

If he can catch a ball, he's an improvement over Jeff.

NASpurs
07-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Their roster could potentially look like this...

Kyrie/Dellavedova
Joe Johnson/Shumpert
LeBron/JR Smith
Love/West
Mozgov/Thompson

Sheesh.

JR Smith opted out and might want more money than they're willing to offer.

Leetonidas
Mosgov, Thompshon, Love, Varajeao....where the fuck is West gonna get minutes tbh?

baseline bum
Crazy that Thompson who'll make close to 20+ will be coming off the bench.

It pays to have LeBron's agent on LeBron's team when LeBron has Gilbert bent over a barrel. :lol

TheGoldStandard
07-06-2015, 10:34 AM

A ball point pen is an improvement over Jeff Ayres. The corpse of David West is lightyears ahead of Jeff Ayres.. Jeff Ayres dad spends more time with David West than with Jeff Ayres

SpursFan86
07-06-2015, 10:34 AM

What? :lol West is absolutely a big improvement over Ayres. I mean I'm not saying he's a game-changer who's going to suddenly propel us to title favorites or anything, but he's absolutely capable of being a great bench guy who can help a team win.

And he opted out of $12.5 million. The only 3 teams he's been linked to in FA have been Cleveland, SA, and Washington - none of which can offer him anything more than the MLE. You don't think that's a pretty tell-tale sign that he's more interested in winning than money? I mean I still have doubts that he'd be willing to play for the minimum, but it seems pretty clear that winning is the biggest priority for him at this point.

BillMc
07-06-2015, 10:35 AM

PG Irving/Dellavedova
SG Johnson/Jones
SF James/Shumpert
PF Love/West
C Mozgov/Thompson

Yep. PG might be a little weak early on as Kyrie's rehab is supposed to last well into the season, and Delly is a bit overrated. But it doesn't matter. LeBron will play point forward. They'll be a freight train come playoff time.

hater
07-06-2015, 10:36 AM
David West ... is he an improvement over Jeff Ayres?

:lmao

what???

LOL

baseline bum
07-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Mosgov, Thompshon, Love, Varajeao....where the fuck is West gonna get minutes tbh?

Varejao would have to be traded for them to land Johnson. I hope like hell it doesn't happen because how fucking stacked will that team be then? But Gilbert made promises to LeBron and he has tons of money from his shady ass mortgages, so I think Cleveland's making that trade.

cd98
07-06-2015, 10:37 AM
For West, both the Cavs and the Spurs are good teams. He should instead decide who is the better coach, Pop or LeBron.

cantthinkofanything
07-06-2015, 10:39 AM
For West, both the Cavs and the Spurs are good teams. He should instead decide who is the better coach, Pop or LeBron.

Older the berry, the sweeter the juice. So...Pop.

SpursFan86
07-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Varejao would have to be traded for them to land Johnson. I hope like hell it doesn't happen because how fucking stacked will that team be then? But Gilbert made promises to LeBron and he has tons of money from his shady ass mortgages, so I think Cleveland's making that trade.

At the same time, LeBron and Varejao are extremely close. I'm holding out hope that he won't OK any deal that involves sending Varejao away, even if it means improving the team. Wishful thinking, but you never know :lol

And btw, to those questioning David West's abilities at this point: I think it's a bit unfair to solely judge him off last season. Paul George was out the entire season. George Hill missed half the season. That Indiana team was hopeless. It's not farfetched to assume he'd play a bit better in a situation much more conducive to success. Look at how much better Pau played in Chicago compared to the season prior in LA.

hater
07-06-2015, 10:42 AM
At the same time, LeBron and Varejao are extremely close. I'm holding out hope that he won't OK any deal that involves sending Varejao away, even if it means improving the team. Wishful thinking, but you never know :lol

And btw, to those questioning David West's abilities at this point: I think it's a bit unfair to solely judge him off last season. Paul George was out the entire season. George Hill missed half the season. That Indiana team was hopeless. It's not farfetched to assume he'd play a bit better in a situation much more conducive to success. Look at how much better Pau played in Chicago compared to the season prior in LA.

u kidding right?

why would Lebron say no to Johnson? instant championship. dude is clutch

FromWayDowntown
07-06-2015, 10:46 AM
I'll join the chorus: David West is a pretty dramatic improvement over Jeff Ayers.

He's an absolute coup if he'll accept a role off the bench; he would give the second unit a relatively mobile and physical big body (which it lacks unless you consider Boris to be a banger of some sort) with a solid jumper from the elbows and above the free throw line. He's not a great individual defender, but he's played gigantic minutes for an Indiana team that has been pretty solid defensively for the last few years.

ceperez
07-06-2015, 10:52 AM
I'll join the chorus: David West is a pretty dramatic improvement over Jeff Ayers.

He's an absolute coup if he'll accept a role off the bench; he would give the second unit a relatively mobile and physical big body (which it lacks unless you consider Boris to be a banger of some sort) with a solid jumper from the elbows and above the free throw line. He's not a great individual defender, but he's played gigantic minutes for an Indiana team that has been pretty solid defensively for the last few years.

Anyone saying Ayres is comparable to David West is a complete idiot.

These old all-stars are still really good when motivated. Look at Paul Pierce, he did nothing in the regular season with the Wizards, but he was a monster in the playoffs.

If the Spurs had picked up Pierce last year, they would have likely won the championship.

cd98
07-06-2015, 10:52 AM
West or Scola. At this point, most of those guys are interchangeable. I wish we could get at least on 7 footer who could bang for ten minutes a game. I know the starting center position is the weakest in the NBA, but I think Duncan will get more nights off this year, so having a banger would help.

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2015, 10:53 AM
They'll lose JR Smith, and he's a much better fit next to Lebron than 10 second jumpshot Average Joe is... David West won't get playing time.

Spurs in 6

SuperCam
07-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Della/Shump/JR/Thompson/West off the bench :wow

LeBron learned his lesson two years ago when spurs bench got the goat of norris cole, udonis haslem and rashard lewis scrub triumvirate :lol

cd98
07-06-2015, 10:56 AM
They'll lose JR Smith, and he's a much better fit next to Lebron than 10 second jumpshot Average Joe is... David West won't get playing time.

Spurs in 6

Is JR willing to take the vet min? Bc we can't pay him the market rate. Besides, he sucks.

Leetonidas
07-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Meh, there's only one ball, and LeBron is holding it most of the time. Joe is not 25 anymore, he is still a good player but he is not going to be more than a spot up shooter with LeBron. As for West, I still don't see him getting the playing time in Cleveland. Even without Andy V they still have LeBron/Love/Thompson who will all split time at the 4. I think he is going to be forced to play C with the Cavs

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Is JR willing to take the vet min? Bc we can't pay him the market rate. Besides, he sucks.
Nope expect a desperate shitty team to throw big money at him, Suns for example. Joe Johnson will be 35 next season and he was never the fastest player in his prime.. LOL at him chasing guys when the Spurs start moving the ball

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2015, 11:02 AM
The more shots ISO Joe takes from their big 3, the better :lol

hater
07-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Meh, there's only one ball, and LeBron is holding it most of the time. Joe is not 25 anymore, he is still a good player but he is not going to be more than a spot up shooter with LeBron. As for West, I still don't see him getting the playing time in Cleveland. Even without Andy V they still have LeBron/Love/Thompson who will all split time at the 4. I think he is going to be forced to play C with the Cavs

hed need to come and play C for Spurs too right?

Lamarcus/Duncan/Diaw are not full time Cs

ceperez
07-06-2015, 11:05 AM

Duncan is a fulltime center come playoff time. Not in the regular season, but who really cares about he regular season?

benstanfield
07-06-2015, 11:05 AM
:lol paying your backup power forward the max
:lol paying iso Joe 24m to be a Ray Allen spot up shooter
:lol shot 35% from three last year

Leetonidas
07-06-2015, 11:10 AM

Duncan is a full time C. I know Spurfan is sensitive so they can claim the best PF ever title but the fact is, especially in his old age, Tim Duncan has played C for years. He is not mobile, quick, or agile enough to play PF and his perimeter jumper is almost non-existent right now. Aldridge can man the C for stretches as will Boris. I'm just saying, Cavs have a lot of frontcourt depth and he could get more playing time here than there. Plus if they get Iso Joe, he will barely even touch the ball with LeBron/Irving/Love/Joe all on the same team. I won't fault him for going there though, they have a better shot at the title than SA just because they play in a conference with no other contender.

hater
07-06-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm pretty sure West will have to play some C in the Spurs if he comes over.

"he will barely touch the ball"

disagree. the ball movement in that team could be deadly.

I am confident Spurs (or Wiz) get West btw

Mr. Body
07-06-2015, 11:14 AM

Spurs in 6

One of the worst takes I've ever seen.

SpursFan86
07-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Duncan is a full time C. I know Spurfan is sensitive so they can claim the best PF ever title but the fact is, especially in his old age, Tim Duncan has played C for years. He is not mobile, quick, or agile enough to play PF and his perimeter jumper is almost non-existent right now. Aldridge can man the C for stretches as will Boris. I'm just saying, Cavs have a lot of frontcourt depth and he could get more playing time here than there. Plus if they get Iso Joe, he will barely even touch the ball with LeBron/Irving/Love/Joe all on the same team. I won't fault him for going there though, they have a better shot at the title than SA just because they play in a conference with no other contender.

Yes, Duncan is a center...but he's also about to be 40 years old. He probably won't play much over 25 mpg next year. Aldridge has apparently been explicit about not wanting to play center, so that really just leaves Diaw. He'd work against small-ball lineups but that's about it. He's not much of a rim protector.

We definitely need a legitimate center IMO. I'd like West, but tbh even he doesn't really fit the need because he's not a good rim protector either. We're absolutely fucked if Duncan goes down for any length of time. And considering he's on the verge of 40, that's pretty discomforting.

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Damn. So much info in this post. How can anyone not agree /thread

hater
07-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Yes, Duncan is a center...but he's also about to be 40 years old. He probably won't play much over 25 mpg next year. Aldridge has apparently been explicit about not wanting to play center, so that really just leaves Diaw. He'd work against small-ball lineups but that's about it. He's not much of a rim protector.

We definitely need a legitimate center IMO. I'd like West, but tbh even he doesn't really fit the need because he's not a good rim protector either. We're absolutely fucked if Duncan goes down for any length of time. And considering he's on the verge of 40, that's pretty discomforting.

pretty much on point.

ppl still fail to see Duncan's minutes will be babysat. he's going to be 40 for christ sakes

West would be a luxury so Spurs should still try and get him. But Spurs still need a 7 footer. We'll probably try out D legue 7 footers like underwear throughout the season. Unless they decide to ship Diaw out for one

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Anyone saying Ayres is comparable to David West is a complete idiot.

These old all-stars are still really good when motivated. Look at Paul Pierce, he did nothing in the regular season with the Wizards, but he was a monster in the playoffs.

If the Spurs had picked up Pierce last year, they would have likely won the championship.

There are far more examples of those types of players being finished then there are of examples like Pierce playing well last year, tbh..

hater
07-06-2015, 11:19 AM
btw Spurs are banking on Lamarcus to TAKE OVER the team.

Anything less and Spurs have no shot in hell.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Good moves for the Cavs, especially if Johnson agrees to come off the bench..he would be largely useless as a starter IMO..

Still a lot of question marks for a team without a system, though..

hater
07-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Good moves for the Cavs, especially if Johnson agrees to come off the bench..

Still a lot of question marks for a team without a system, though..

the "team without a system" went 6 games deep in the Finals without their 2 best players

I think the "missing system" will be a nonfactor

SpursFan86
07-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Pretty sure I remember reading that the Cavs were 33-3 after acquiring Mozgov...regardless of what system they have, it seems to have worked pretty well. Add in another year of chemistry-building, and they'll likely be better than they were last season even if they don't make any notable additions to the team (which seems like a longshot...LeBron has Gilbert by the balls right now and I'd be shocked if they don't find someone to use that Haywood expiring on).

100%duncan
07-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Joe Johnson is a ballhog. Goodluck on more isos Bronnie

Mr. Body
07-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Damn. So much info in this post. How can anyone not agree /thread

:wakeup

100%duncan
07-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Are you shitting me? He left 13 million on the table, to be in ties with teams that can only offer him the min

dbestpro
07-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Too many chemistry issues in my opinion for Cleveland. Everyone will want to play in isolation. They would be better served to hold on to what they have. If they need to make a trade they should think of an impact defensive player.

Mouth is Bleeding
07-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Uhm Joe Johnson is not a good player. Just like Rondo was not a good player. If that's why ppl are freakin out.

That he has 7 or however many all star appearances is one of the bigger jokes in modern day NBA.

rjv
Never been a JJ fan but West would be big.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
Too many chemistry issues in my opinion for Cleveland. Everyone will want to play in isolation. They would be better served to hold on to what they have. If they need to make a trade they should think of an impact defensive player.

Funny thing, they would be losing a defensive impact player to acquire an ISO ballhog player.

07-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Johnson isn't as good as he used to be and he wasn't that great to begin with. Remember the Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Brook Lopez super team? The Cavs are already pretty good when they have their full lineup, they might improve with Johnson, but not by too much.

Don't know why West would want to go to the Cavs and play behind Mozgov, Love, and Thompson.

TheGoldStandard
07-06-2015, 11:37 AM
The addition of Joe Johnson gives them a viable guy to score when Lebron sits, that's the only thing that the move does and does well.

Duncan2177
07-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Are you shitting me? He left 13 million on the table, to be in ties with teams that can only offer him the min

That's a sign of a player that is hungry to win. Come to the spurs David West:hungry:

100%duncan
07-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Love mozgov thompson and lebron at smallball pf. West knows better tbh

Spurs9
07-06-2015, 11:40 AM
I've never thought JJ was ever that good, especially with that sa:lolary. Cavs would pay like $100million+ in luxury tax :lmao
They were 2 wins away from winning the title without 2 allstars playing, as well as Verejao. I don't understand why they would try to add him with that massive salary and how much the owner would have to spend. LeBron is basically holding the owner hostage forcing him to spend ridiculous money because he can't stomach losing to the west again, possibly after the LMA move. "I can walk at any time, spend as much as I tell you to :cry" And he's also trying to hoard West because he doesn't want him ending up as a Spur.

FkLA
07-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Why are people freaking out over Iso Joe? He's a horrible fit next to LeBron. If he takes touches away from Bron and co.it's a good thing tbh.

hater
07-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Why? Easy. 20ppg playoff scorer waiting on the bench. They don't have to promise him anything.

Insurance

FkLA
07-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Why? Easy. 20ppg playoff scorer waiting on the bench. They don't have to promise him anything.

Insurance

LDN or Kawhi can handle him. They've neutralized better players than ISO Joe. He hasn't been a 20 ppg scorer in a while either IIRC.

baseline bum
07-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Johnson isn't as good as he used to be and he wasn't that great to begin with. Remember the Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Brook Lopez super team? The Cavs are already pretty good when they have their full lineup, they might improve with Johnson, but not by too much.

I remember Joe Johnson and Paul Pierce were the only good players on that team.

gambit1990
07-06-2015, 12:12 PM
i'd rather they get johnson than west.

Old School 44
07-06-2015, 12:13 PM
It really doesn't matter to me who the Cavs get. Better the Cavs than say, Golden State, Houston, Clips or Mavs.
You can pencil in the Cavs in the 2016 Eastern Conference finals already, and most likely the east rep in the Finals, regardless of any further deals.
JJ is good, but not a big deal IMO.

cjw
07-06-2015, 12:18 PM
If Joe Johnson were paid $8 million per year, he'd have a much different reputation. $25 million is a lot, but it seems Gilbert doesn't care about the luxury tax. They just have to find a way to make the numbers work, which is easier said than done considering if I'm the Nets I want nothing to do with Varajao.

elemento
07-06-2015, 12:36 PM
JJ is a good player. Just is just massively overpaid

As for West in CLE, I simply don't get it. They're just paying almost 200m for 2 PFs. They also have Andy who can play both 4/5 positions.

Why the hell would he choose CLE over SA if money is not an issue seriously ? Makes no sense.

Leetonidas
07-06-2015, 12:36 PM
While I do agree we need a backup C I don't really think Spurs are fucked if they can't find one. None of the teams at the top have a C worth a shit anyway really. Bogut is a great defensive C but is not an offensive threat. There aren't many teams in the league that have an imposing front line with a talented C anyway, at least none that will really cause us issues in the playoffs. I think we will be seeing the Spurs go small a lot next season and I don't really care what the rumors said about Aldridge not wanting to play C in New York. He is going to play some C here, it's obvious, and he has to know it. But playing C next to a chucker like Anthony on a garbage team full time and playing C on a Spurs team periodically for 10-15 mins a night with either Bobo or the best rebounding SF next to you isn't as big of a deal imo, especially in today's NBA

MultiTroll
07-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Joe can be good, but 36% fg and 29% treys in six playoff games last year.
Calm down.

His career playoff numbers, while better, not that much.
42% and 35%

Horse
07-06-2015, 12:43 PM

7 time allstar still averaging 18ppg in the playoffs

:pctoss

game set match

Get the fuck outta here no D and not enough balls to go around.

hater
07-06-2015, 12:43 PM
LDN or Kawhi can handle him. They've neutralized better players than ISO Joe. He hasn't been a 20 ppg scorer in a while either IIRC.

Who's gonna guard kylia and lebron?

tmtcsc
07-06-2015, 01:00 PM
I've never seen a bigger bunch of pussies in my life. Have some balls people and while you're at it, try having some faith in your team. SMH at all the oooohs and aaaaahs of players past their prime and worth. David West would be great on the Spurs, coming off the bench. In Cleveland, I'm not so sure. He'd have to put up with Drama Queen Love, Ball Hog Irving and pouty, coach-killer LeBron.

The Spurs will be fine and have already won the FA sweepstakes.

Mouth is Bleeding
07-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Spurs are never losing to CLE in the finals. They wouldn't have this year either.

The threats are in the west and it looks like it will be Warriors and OKC.

Let's get the number 1 seed and only play one of them. That improves title significantly odds right there.

Sean Cagney
07-06-2015, 01:15 PM
How in the fuck can this kinda shit happen!?! The sadnesses of one team to try an buy a championship. No way West goes there. He'd get waaaaay more PT here.

Which is why he would go there, it would make less sense but those things tend to happen.

The same thing happens wherever Bron goes, he needs to get this and that to try and win whether Miami or now it seems he never has enough help. Dude practically is on bought team his whole career. The circus goes where he goes, hope they fail again.

some_user86
07-06-2015, 03:31 PM
I've never seen a bigger bunch of pussies in my life. Have some balls people and while you're at it, try having some faith in your team. SMH at all the oooohs and aaaaahs of players past their prime and worth. David West would be great on the Spurs, coming off the bench. In Cleveland, I'm not so sure. He'd have to put up with Drama Queen Love, Ball Hog Irving and pouty, coach-killer LeBron.

The Spurs will be fine and have already won the FA sweepstakes.

QFT.

ducks
07-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine · 35s35 seconds ago
Gotta give it up to Dan Gilbert for money he's spending ... AND give it up to David West for the money he's leaving on the table to go to SA

SpursFan86
07-06-2015, 03:55 PM

Now this I'd be fine with. JR is probably better than Crawford at this point :lol I guess they'd at least get to keep Varejao in this scenario, but still, would rather have this happen than the Joe Johnson trade.

Mr. Body
07-06-2015, 04:11 PM
If they use Crawford right he can be a real asset. Let him bomb away; if he's not on, yank him. Cleveland should be deep enough to do that.

Obstructed_View
07-06-2015, 05:25 PM
What? :lol West is absolutely a big improvement over Ayres. I mean I'm not saying he's a game-changer who's going to suddenly propel us to title favorites or anything, but he's absolutely capable of being a great bench guy who can help a team win.

And he opted out of $12.5 million. The only 3 teams he's been linked to in FA have been Cleveland, SA, and Washington - none of which can offer him anything more than the MLE. You don't think that's a pretty tell-tale sign that he's more interested in winning than money? I mean I still have doubts that he'd be willing to play for the minimum, but it seems pretty clear that winning is the biggest priority for him at this point.

Yeah, sorry guys. Moment of weakness post. I was feeling cynical. My bad.

tmtcsc
07-06-2015, 06:02 PM
One of the best things about the Spurs' FA moves was adding two guys who don't have Championship rings. Aldridge and West's motivation will keep this team from dropping its guard. (I'm looking at you Tony Parker). I'd feel better if we added another SG who can provide some D and an athletic Center. Good gawd this team is stacked.

As I type this, Ric Buecher is on NBA radio saying that the teams to beat are:

1. Golden State Warriors
2. Oklahoma City Thunder (You read that correctly)
3. Spurs (He's not sold on them for whatever reason other than he's got his head buried in the Warrior's pants). :lmao

Spurs replaced Baynes and Tiago with LaMarcus Aldridge and David West and Ric Bucher puts them behind OKC and Warriors. That's some funny shit right there.