PDA

View Full Version : A Spurs Fan and his Feels

jdiggy0424
07-06-2015, 03:15 PM
As a longtime Spurs fan, the last time I was excited for a season was in 2013-2014, the season after the Spurs suffered through (arguably) the franchise's worst loss in that 7 Game series against the Heat. The reason for my excitement was obvious: the Spurs represent a certain standard of excellent that most franchises long to have. A winning culture, a group of seemingly unselfish individuals, a foundation of players that have spent the majority of their careers together, all compiled by one of the greatest coaches in modern-day pro sports, as well as a die-hard fan base that supports no other professional sports team (other than the Dallas Cowboys) is something the Spurs have embodied in my 20+ years as a Spurs fan.

With all that said my excitement for this upcoming season, especially with the re-signing of Ginobili, has just hit a newfound height, to the point where I'm posting in a forum that I always check, but never post (despite the downhill spiral this site has taken in the past several years, I consider Spurstalk.com to be the #1 site on the Internet for all things Spurs related). The same feeling that I felt during the Summer of 2013 has returned, but this time it a different feeling, one that has me excited for the future of this franchise while still focusing on the present.

To have Duncan transition to a David Robinson role for Aldridge (though not entirely since Robinson was limited late due to injuries) and mentor him on how to win for years to come, is a pattern that we might not ever see again. We as Spurs fans should feel blessed for this to happen no once, but 2x.

To have Manu come back, whom I fully believe was going to announce his retirement via his Argentinian newspaper, and fight for Banner No.6 and announce it via Twitter to have the ENTIRE NBA ASSOCIATION buzzing, is a testament to his greatness and further cements his legendary competitive spirit.

To keep Danny Boy Green at a discount, who is a symbolization of believing in yourself and working hard to establish yourself in your profession (something I know most people can relate to) is one of the many reasons why I view him the same way I viewed George Hill: A Spur for Life.

I'm an Spurs fan first an NBA fan second, but I can say without any personal bias inhibiting it, barring injuries, and with a little luck on our side...

The San Antonio Spurs will be your 2016 NBA Champions

Then again it's just a feeling. #RaceForSeis