PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: There's Not A Championship In The World Worth Giving Up Millions For

Koolaid_Man
07-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Just keeping it real...If Tammy and West gave up 10 million each to play for vet minimums with no guarantee they will win a title..then it just shows how stupid some black people are..and it shows why white people laugh at us....it's all about risk factor...sure they have a decent team but the risk is age and injury...what if they don't win...that's 1O million down the drain...I dont care how much money you have..it's just stupid and it's why black atheletes go broke...to be honest it's embarrassing as a black man....white people don't do pass up on money like that...win or lose they are some dumb assses...that's not how the rich get richer...this dude has only made 87 million and he gave up 10..Man I hope they lose on the principal alone...10 million over the possibility of a gotdam ring? Wow

Splits
07-06-2015, 06:06 PM
:lmao fuckin' so salty

You obviously have no sense of self respect or accomplishment. Just like your rapist sociopath hero, you care about yourself and only yourself.

Leetonidas
07-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Y'all niggas extra mad today. Let the butthurt flow through you :lmao

Buddy Mignon
07-06-2015, 06:07 PM
That guard position is atrocious. I didn't realize Parker was in his 15th year.

Arcadian
07-06-2015, 06:09 PM
:lol OP is a faggot

Silver&Black
07-06-2015, 06:10 PM
"this dude has only made 87 million"

:lol NaCl-y

hater
07-06-2015, 06:18 PM
:lmao Robert Sacre :lol

Mr Bones
07-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Funny, Magic Johnson was one of the first players I ever heard of doing this...

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/6

Koolaid_Man
07-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Y'all niggas extra mad today. Let the butthurt flow through you :lmao

Naah brah you reading me wrong...it's a good pickup by the Spurs albeit redundant but I'm speaking philosophical now...it's completely irresponsible for a guy like David West to give up 10 million on a possibility...all he did was pigeon hole himself into the vet min going forward...once you cross that bridge there's no coming back...he's forever stuck at that price point now...it's just stupid for him..because even if the Spurs ring...no one will even remember this guy ..and if they don't win well then just light my stoogie for me..

This is clearly the sign of an uneducated black man...I liken it to getting pussy from a bad ass chic..once you fuck her ( well at least me)...I'm like meh..ok not bad but it dam sho ain't worth no fucking 10 million....it's just sad on a real level....again white business men don't behave this way...he's gonna regret this once it he retires....

This makes me embarrassed to be a black man tbh

Mr Bones
07-06-2015, 06:30 PM
"Of course money is great, but I play to win, and that's why I did it,''

~Magic Johnson

Leetonidas
07-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Naah brah you reading me wrong...it's a good pickup by the Spurs albeit redundant but I'm speaking philosophical now...it's completely irresponsible for a guy like David West to give up 10 million on a possibility...all he did was pigeon hole himself into the vet min going forward...once you cross that bridge there's no coming back...he's forever stuck at that price point now...it's just stupid for him..because even if the Spurs ring...no one will even remember this guy ..and if they don't win well then just light my stoogie for me..

This is clearly the sign of an uneducated black man...I liken it to getting pussy from a bad ass chic..once you fuck her ( well at least me)...I'm like meh..ok not bad but it dam sho ain't worth no fucking 10 million....it's just sad on a real level....again white business men don't behave this way...he's gonna regret this once it he retires....

This makes me embarrassed to be a black man tbh

He also seems like a hypocrite now tbh:

David West on ring chasing last season: ""I'm not going to be one of those guys that's just out here chasing that. I'm not going to be one those guys out here sacrificing who I am, the things that make me me, to go out and get a material goal. That's just not the way I'm wired," West declared. "So, I understand we're not in that space anymore in terms of this group, but that's fine. It's just a reality you have to deal with, but you got to accept it and face it in order to get yourself moving and producing positively."

this nigga :lol

Mr Bones
07-06-2015, 06:34 PM
So West is like Magic Johnson, and that's bad? OK.

Mr Bones
07-06-2015, 06:37 PM
``We didn't have enough money under the cap to pick up Terry's contract without Magic giving up a substantial amount of his own salary,'' Jerry West said.

And that was in his prime, having made much much less than David West has made in his career.

Mr Bones
07-06-2015, 06:38 PM
:lol

Buddy Mignon
07-06-2015, 06:38 PM

~Magic Johnson

Magic had a lifetime contract with the Lakers and was promised ownership once retired.

Mr Bones
07-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Magic had a lifetime contract with the Lakers and was promised ownership once retired.

West has already made more money than Magic did.

And it's not even close.

Mr Bones
07-06-2015, 06:45 PM
``We didn't have enough money under the cap to pick up Terry's contract without Magic giving up a substantial amount of his own salary,'' Jerry West said.

And that was in his prime, having made much much less than David West has made in his career.

~Magic Johnson

:lol

midnightpulp
07-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Money is ephemeral, fleeting. NBA titles are forever (well, as long as the human race lasts). Ain't nobody gonna remember David West's bank account, but they will remember him as NBA Champion if that should happen.

Roy Hibbert :lol

Chucho
07-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Lol Hibbert.

Lol Koolaid. Fuckin chump posing as a lesser chump.

Lol Smog Bryant

Lol at that shithole of a team.

Lol teehee.

Lol jealous.

Lol 16 rings, right?

Lol teehee

Lol putting your filthy mom on the street

Lol Mitch Cuckchap

Lol pwned at every turn

UZER
07-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Dat target keeps moving :lol

Mr Bones
You guys make it sound like David West is moving into a studio apartment and planning on eating nothing but ramen and chicken noodle soup. He has more money than he'll ever need. He's rich, and he'll always be rich. He wants a ring, like Magic Johnson.

Koolaid_Man
Money is ephemeral, fleeting. NBA titles are forever (well, as long as the human race lasts). Ain't nobody gonna remember David West's bank account, but they will remember him as NBA Champion if that should happen.

And if he doesn't win?

midnightpulp
07-06-2015, 06:54 PM
And if he doesn't win?

He can dry his eyes on the other millions he's made.

Mnky
07-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Lakerfan done gone off the deep end. Poor behbays.

Koolaid_Man
07-06-2015, 06:56 PM
My point Mid is win or lose its not worth sacrificing that much money 2 or 3 million meh ok...but 10..get the fuck outta here...and as much as I rag on Tammy I'm being serious now..I actually feel sorry for the dude..he wants white acceptance so bad he's willing to give back by my estimates 40 million on top of prostituting his booty hole out to whitey :lol

Koolaid_Man
07-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Just sad mid...just sad...:lol

Buddy Mignon
07-06-2015, 06:58 PM
My point Mid is win or lose its not worth sacrificing that much money 2 or 3 million meh ok...but 10..get the fuck outta here...and as much as I rag on Tammy I'm being serious now..I actually feel sorry for the dude..he wants white acceptance so bad he's willing to give back by my estimates 40 million on top of prostituting his booty hole out to whitey :lol

They won't win shit.

Koolaid_Man
07-06-2015, 07:00 PM
You guys make it sound like David West is moving into a studio apartment and planning on eating nothing but ramen and chicken noodle soup. He has more money than he'll ever need. He's rich, and he'll always be rich. He wants a ring, like Magic Johnson.

Its irresponsible...winning a dam basketball game is not that serious....those rings are worth .000000010 TH of what that fucking fool gave up....hey look it's a good pickup by the Spurs but gotdam...just embarrassing as a black man....I'm going to hide in the closet

midnightpulp
07-06-2015, 07:03 PM

I think West has made 80 million throughout his career. He's probably made a little off endorsements, as well. Let's say he has 40ish million in the bank and in assets (obviously he didn't see that full 80 million because of taxes), another 6 million is not going to change his lifestyle at all.

He obviously saved smartly, or he'd be chasing the money. So at this stage, a title opportunity is more important to him.

Stay mad, though, as Kobe continues to hamper your payroll :toast

And....

Duncan2177
07-06-2015, 07:04 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/k5gdp.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/k5gdp)via Imgflip Meme Maker (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

midnightpulp
07-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Its irresponsible...winning a dam basketball game is not that serious....those rings are worth .000000010 TH of what that fucking fool gave up....hey look it's a good pickup by the Spurs but gotdam...just embarrassing as a black man....I'm going to hide in the closet

West saving his money so he has the luxury to ring chase is the antithesis of black man behavior.

A "real" black man would've blown the cash on frivolous crap, like your boy Iverson who is flat broke and probably sells crack now.

DarrinS
07-06-2015, 07:07 PM
Kirbyfan loves takin it raw by his contract

ChumpDumper
07-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Just keeping it real...If Tammy and West gave up 10 million each to play for vet minimums with no guarantee they will win a title..then it just shows how stupid some black people are..and it shows why white people laugh at us....it's all about risk factor...sure they have a decent team but the risk is age and injury...what if they don't win...that's 1O million down the drain...I dont care how much money you have..it's just stupid and it's why black atheletes go broke...to be honest it's embarrassing as a black man....white people don't do pass up on money like that...win or lose they are some dumb assses...that's not how the rich get richer...this dude has only made 87 million and he gave up 10..Man I hope they lose on the principal alone...10 million over the possibility of a gotdam ring? WowHow many NBA championships have you won?

lol

Mr Bones
07-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I think West has made 80 million throughout his career. He's probably made a little off endorsements, as well. Let's say he has 40ish million in the bank and in assets (obviously he didn't see that full 80 million because of taxes), another 6 million is not going to change his lifestyle at all.

He obviously saved smartly, or he'd be chasing the money. So at this stage, a title opportunity is more important to him.

He has made $87.6 million in his career.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westda01.html

Scottie Pippen
07-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Just keeping it real...If Tammy and West gave up 10 million each to play for vet minimums with no guarantee they will win a title..then it just shows how stupid some black people are..and it shows why white people laugh at us....it's all about risk factor...sure they have a decent team but the risk is age and injury...what if they don't win...that's 1O million down the drain...I dont care how much money you have..it's just stupid and it's why black atheletes go broke...to be honest it's embarrassing as a black man....white people don't do pass up on money like that...win or lose they are some dumb assses...that's not how the rich get richer...this dude has only made 87 million and he gave up 10..Man I hope they lose on the principal alone...10 million over the possibility of a gotdam ring? Wow

http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Scottie-Pippen.jpg

Franklin
07-06-2015, 08:26 PM
OP would fuck his mom and sisters if someone pays him enough $ to do so, tbh, dude has no faith so he will never understand the decisions Tim and West made tbh.

Duncanforthree
07-06-2015, 08:28 PM
West will become the spokesman for WEST business services in San Antonio and make up some millions.

Splits
07-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Pacers' David West lives life the right way: his way

Everything about David West depends on perspective.

To a second-year player still learning the NBA, the veteran power forward who "knows weird stuff" was someone to avoid.

To a reporter who called him "well spoken" without realizing what a slap to the face that is, he was intimidating.

And to those teammates who met him on his first day with the Indiana Pacers in 2011, his expression as serious as a drill sergeant and his cold gaze daring the brave ones to make eye contact, he was distant and aloof.

But in reality — and try not to faint from sheer shock — David West is candid and passionate.

Just ask him about how he sees the world and his role in it. Ask him about New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina. Listen while his voice quickens and even breaks.

He will tell you there was a time when he felt like a foreigner in the sometimes-superficial world called the NBA. The locker room isn't always a breeding ground for free thinkers and the team plane may not necessarily be the place to read a book of essays written by a Folsom State prisoner. West was disconnected and it affected him on the court.

Then, West gained perspective. He started living life, as he describes it, the right way.

His way.

"I'm just not going to be the typical NBA guy," West said. "I'm just not going to let myself become a part of that. I'm always going to stand up and I'm always going to stand apart of this group that I don't necessarily feel like I identify with wholly."

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one…"

His way is no nonsense, and it has worked.

In 11 years in the NBA, West has career averages of 15.9 points, 7.2 rebounds, two All-Star Game appearances and the reputation of being a fully grown man. He plays like a throwback post player — all butt and body, bruising opponents on the block — and when it's on, his jump shot from the elbow can be counted for two points as soon as it leaves his hand.

Shaped out of experiences in Teaneck, N.J., West found this way in his own bloodline: a role model and a sports icon; the worker and the basketball player.

Amos West never made more than $30,000 a year while delivering letters throughout Bergen County. Yet he and wife Harriett provided the example of what hard work looked like to their four children. She also was employed at the post office and if she had to open every canned food in the house to feed the kids, she would. He was the postal supervisor, in the Army Reserve, a deacon, a Sunday school superintendent, a radio DJ. And anytime the family visited their folks in North Carolina, the next morning he was up at dawn to cut the grass, put up a basketball goal and hunt rabbits for supper.

"People in the South eat rabbits," West confirmed, laughing.

In 1986 when a young man up the block from where the family lived was shot in the back by a police officer, Mr. Amos, as the neighborhood kids called him, marched in the rally protesting the shooting — and brought young David along with him.

"I'm 6 years old!" West said. "And so my whole sort of seriousness of life was right there in my face at a very young age."

Dwayne West was 16 years old and already an established hoops star when his younger brother, David, was born.

"Me dragging him along to my games," Dwayne remembers, "and having him cry on the sideline. I couldn't play in peace because he wanted to go to the bathroom, or he's ready to go."

After Dwayne returned home from captaining then-Jersey City State College to its first NCAA Division III Final Four, he instilled a playbook in David. Every time Dwayne yelled out "One!" that meant drop step. "Two," drop step and half hook. "Three," drop step, fake and shot. And there wasn't a number for this, but always go to that jumper. That was established early when Mr. Amos put up a backboard and rim in the backyard driveway that had the most space where the left elbow of a free throw line would be on a real court.

That sweet midrange jumper stayed with West when the family moved to Raleigh, N.C., before his junior year of high school. He wasn't heavily recruited out of Garner Magnet High School, a slight that was never more evident than the time West and a friend sneaked into the North Carolina State gym for a pickup game and ran into an overzealous NBA player.

After beating the pro's team in the first game, West and his five rolled through the competition until the player — one year removed from winning an NBA title — came back on and punished the teenager like he was still playing in those Finals. After the throttling, West remembers walking up to the NBA player to ask him for some basketball tips, but the veteran pro wanted to know one thing: Are you going to State? When the kid answered honestly, the pro, according to West, said, "Well, I can't (bleep) with you," and turned his back on the 16-year-old. West fumed in the car ride back, then sought his true hero and made a vow.

"I called my brother and told him, 'If I ever make it, I would never, never do that to a young player,'" West said. "You don't know how impactful your words can be to young people."

So while West was becoming Xavier's second all-time leading scorer and first player to have his jersey retired while still playing, he made time to visit juvenile detention centers and battered women's shelters, looking into the eyes of the children stuck there and encouraging them.

But there came a time when West had to prepare for the NBA draft and, naturally, his world shifted to center on himself. He lost sight of the greater purpose of life. Then, the Hornets drafted West.

Nothing could prepare him for the shock of New Orleans.

"…the being a force of nature…"

West had a hard time reconciling his status as a highly paid professional basketball player with the city in which he made his wealth. Any sense of ego or self that emerged out of draft night in 2003 was shattered once he landed in New Orleans.

Here he was in the 21st century, and West was learning that chain gangs were still very real, filled with men who looked like himself and his Hornets teammates. When he visited local juvenile detention centers, he met boys who were charged with felonies but should've been in the third grade. Those who weren't locked up might be attending parish elementary schools where the lunchroom has a dirt floor and the books in the library are 20 years out of date.

"You go to certain parts of New Orleans and (if) you had a blindfold on and someone took the blindfold off, you would think you weren't in America," West said. "And I was having a difficult time getting paid a million or so dollars — and when I got into the NBA, I realized that I was on my own in feeling like that.

"(I'm like), 'Yo! Nobody else sees that there's something wrong here?'"

With this war waging in his mind, West found the locker room to be a lonely place. So as not to alienate himself, West subtly conformed.

After West didn't take kindly to a New Orleans reporter using the so-called compliment "well spoken athlete" to describe him, he allowed a member of the team's public relations staff to sit in on interviews to serve as a buffer. West also recalled a time when a teammate passed by his seat on the plane and noticed that he was reading "Soul on Ice" by Eldridge Cleaver.

"Man, you're always reading something crazy!" the teammate said, so West thought to himself that maybe he shouldn't break out his books in front of everyone.

"I learned this my first couple of years: A locker room can be an uncomfortable environment," West said. "And in that environment, it was hard for me to find a balance. It was hard, literally, for me being a thinker; every single day my mind is just running. At times, I'm not focused on basketball."

Then on his 25th birthday, West got a punch to his gut.

The scenes on television were hard to imagine, levees folding under the might of Hurricane Katrina and entire portions of an American city underwater. West couldn't take it anymore.

"That sort of hit me," West said, punching his right first into his left palm, "I realized how far behind not only New Orleans was, but how far behind we were as black people."

West, the gruff in his baritone easing into an impassioned monologue, continued.

"With all the money and the fame and the acclaim and the advancement that we claimed we made, we really (have) not made any big steps because Katrina was the biggest smack for me," West said. "It just illustrated how dependent we are as people on other people. The majority of the people affected by Hurricane Katrina were African-American people, and with all the celebrity that we have, all the money that we have, all of this fame and fortune, we're so disbanded that when our people are literally on TV in need of help, we got nothing to bring them.

"Katrina really altered how I was going to look at (and) how I was going to approach this NBA thing."

"…instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy." —George Bernard Shaw

So West went back to living his way. The words "My Life" and "My Way" were already inked on his upper left arm before his senior season at Xavier. Now West, as a man, tattooed it to every decision he made.

He began doing his own thing outside of the way the NBA does charity by sponsoring families in New Orleans. He still counts many of those families as friends.

West found his balance, and teammates noticed the change.

"He became much more involved in going places and speaking," said Pacers forward Rasual Butler, who joined the Hornets in 2005, the year the team was displaced by Katrina and moved to Oklahoma City. "Just speaking out his perspective, his outlook on life and trying to inspire people to do things to help themselves. He visited prisons and … schools, talking to the youth and just trying to give them some hope, some inspiration."

When West signed a two-year deal as a free agent in 2011, picking the upstart Pacers over the more established Boston Celtics, some of the reason was that he saw a title window opening in Indiana.

"The second he got here, you got the feeling that this guy was going to be the one to really change this whole locker room, change this whole team," teammate Paul George said. "He just brought an edge and a toughness, real leadership the second he got here."

West also noticed an opportunity in Indiana for a new role — as the "vet" to help mentor younger players. Even if he unintentionally frightened some of them the first day he got there.

When coach Frank Vogel introduced West to teammates before the first practice, he stood there silently, hands on his hips.

"Not even a grin," assistant coach Dan Burke recalled. "I loved it! He was just here to work. Here to do his job.

"He's like that George Bernard Shaw quote … I think he lives by that."

That first year, George didn't know how to approach the new vet — "He was so locked in," George said — while Lance Stephenson tried avoiding him altogether.

"Lance was scared to talk to me (my first) year," West said, and only later he found out the reason.

"'Man, you know weird stuff!'" West remembered Stephenson telling him. "I'm serious! I had to figure out how he and I could converse and communicate."

The work that West and his wife do to sponsor Thanksgiving dinners for Indianapolis homeless shelters, and the relationships built in the locker room are where he finds his greatest achievements as a Pacer.

George and West found their common ground through music — West, who played first-chair tuba in high school and drums in the church band, makes beats and once offered some to hip-hop star Lil Wayne.

"He's a master drummer," Vogel said. "I look up one day after practice and he tore up the Area 55 drums to all of our shock and awe."

And yes, West, aka Mr. Serious, will be the first to indulge in one of the gutter entertainment clips on WorldStarHip Hop.com — an iPad favorite inside the Pacers' locker room — but he is also the one who introduces intellectual debates. Earlier this season, West played a big part in an impromptu team conversation about the God Particle. A discussion that started before shootaround lasted until 45 minutes before a game.

"He is definitely going to let you know how he's feeling," Butler said with a knowing smile. "He's very aware of what's going on. … He elevates the conversation in the locker room and helps a lot of guys just be more aware of what's happening in the world today.

"Just a great guy, very worldly, very intelligent brother."

The Pacers are chasing their first NBA championship; this is the fuel that runs through West. But after this season, like every other summer, he'll return to Southeast Raleigh and re-enter society for his life's work — training and teaching young people on the AAU basketball team that he and his older brother operate. Some of the kids start in the program without knowing that the tall guy who shows up in the summertime plays in the NBA; that's because he doesn't carry the Association everywhere he goes. He just wants to be David West, a man apart.

"If you're living and you're not doing things for other people, then you're wasting your time. You're wasting your life," West said. "'Keep myself in reality,' is what I like to call it. I think a lot of times in the NBA, you can get caught in this lifestyle and what the NBA has to offer. It's an ego-driven, self-driven, I, me deal and we all have to have some of that in order to get here, but … you can't let that consume you and become a part of who you are.

"So I try to keep it cool. I try to keep everything in perspective."

Thread
07-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Yeah, it's not LMA, it's the West signing that is transcending. A carefully crafted & calculated move of sincere power. No other way to cut it. It's simply magnificent.

Splits
07-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Yeah, it's not LMA, it's the West signing that is transcending. A carefully crafted & calculated move of sincere power. No other way to cut it. It's simply magnificent.

Just read the above again Cub, tell me it doesn't bring a tear to your eye. A wholesome warrior. A man on a mission, who walks the talk. An outsider in an insider's world.

KaiRMD1
07-06-2015, 08:47 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/622/629/838.png

Mr Bones
07-07-2015, 02:30 AM
"He is definitely going to let you know how he's feeling," Butler said with a knowing smile. "He's very aware of what's going on. … He elevates the conversation in the locker room and helps a lot of guys just be more aware of what's happening in the world today.

"Just a great guy, very worldly, very intelligent brother."

Sean Cagney
07-07-2015, 03:12 AM
You and Buddy are obsessed with the Spurs son, damn....

LnGrrrR
07-07-2015, 03:13 AM

So Magic did the same thing then? He wanted white acceptance?

Koolaid_Man
07-07-2015, 06:47 AM
So Magic did the same thing then? He wanted white acceptance?

Yes he did and still does...he's not comfortable in his own skin...he sits on ESPN sounding like a ,buffoon

Pelicans78
07-07-2015, 07:01 AM

~Magic Johnson

And he was taking it in the ass while giving up less money.

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2015, 07:35 AM
didnt kirby traded in rape for a championship?

mbass
07-07-2015, 08:24 AM

At least Duncan, West, Manu have a goal to win a championship and gave up money to achieve that goal. All that Kobe did was rob the lakers from any chance of getting any really good players. Plus he was out most/all of last season and still collected his pay - immorlal S-O-B

InRareForm
07-07-2015, 08:27 AM
This thread taught me David west is magic johnson

Splits
07-07-2015, 08:35 AM
didnt kirby traded in rape for a championship?

:lol And Malone traded chasing little Mexican girls for a chip

Killakobe81
07-07-2015, 09:36 AM
I respect the focus on team and winning but come on dude left almost $11 million on the table. I get winning. I get sacrifice. But I would have opted in and forced a trade at ASB or hoppe don Cleveland or SAS NEXT year. It's not like he has made Dirk or Tim money. This sacrifice is HUGE on his part ... Spurs better win because despite what he has made (my guess under $100 million) he just let over 10-20% of his wealth walk out the door.

Pop is a genius though ...

Agloco
07-07-2015, 09:56 AM

Reaching.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Highest-paid second-fiddle chucker ever is still second-fiddle chucker.

mbass
07-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Just read the above again Cub, tell me it doesn't bring a tear to your eye. A wholesome warrior. A man on a mission, who walks the talk. An outsider in an insider's world.

I thought of David Robinson when I read that passage.

Splits
07-07-2015, 10:09 AM
I respect the focus on team and winning but come on dude left almost $11 million on the table. I get winning. I get sacrifice. But I would have opted in and forced a trade at ASB or hoppe don Cleveland or SAS NEXT year. It's not like he has made Dirk or Tim money. This sacrifice is HUGE on his part ... Spurs better win because despite what he has made (my guess under $100 million) he just let over 10-20% of his wealth walk out the door.

Pop is a genius though ...

I'm not here to spend another guys money, but you, I, nor anyone else knows what it is like to have made $80 million in 15 years. It's more than you can spend in a lifetime if you're a responsible person. His kids, grandkids, great grandkids, his entire lineage will be taken care of for life. So you can say it is a huge sacrifice, but unless you can relate to his position you really shouldn't pass judgement. Cat is different breed for sure, but I can understand where he's coming from.

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2015, 10:42 AM
the only t hing i know is the cripple not only traded in rape for a championship

he also traded in alot of endorsement deals that year and next 2 years trying to rebuild his rapist image...

but anyway fck him and fck u too

Killakobe81
07-07-2015, 11:14 AM
I'm not here to spend another guys money, but you, I, nor anyone else knows what it is like to have made $80 million in 15 years. It's more than you can spend in a lifetime if you're a responsible person. His kids, grandkids, great grandkids, his entire lineage will be taken care of for life. So you can say it is a huge sacrifice, but unless you can relate to his position you really shouldn't pass judgement. Cat is different breed for sure, but I can understand where he's coming from.

Like I said I get wanting to win ...I hate to lose. I also get that he has only made one conference finals in his career. This allowed him to control his own destiny. A strong showing with the spurs and maybe he gets that back easy next year ...all that being said ...

I couldnt in good faith advise him as a friend, family member, agent or financial advisor to make that move. As a man he made that decision and to be honest he should be applauded for placing winning above all else. Never said he didnt deserve props for that and it should be a bigger story that a guy with some game left and a player option walked away from a extra 10-11 million ...

But you can understand why for most people how they would consider that crazy despite the above ...right? OF course Kool and Luva are trollin' but take away any salt or hate whatever ...take him away from the Spurs if he did that to play for Cleveland you would respect it but you can see why some would call it "dumb" ...right?

ambchang
07-07-2015, 11:31 AM
http://globalnews.ca/news/1940194/ceo-says-he-will-cut-his-pay-to-give-every-employee-a-minimum-wage-of-70000/

http://fortune.com/2014/12/18/ceo-gives-back-bonus-says-he-doesnt-deserve-it/

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/companies-follow-ben-jerrys-lead-wages/story?id=19920634

http://www.inc.com/john-boitnott/15-lowest-paid-ceos-of-major-corporations.html

Buddy Mignon
07-07-2015, 11:41 AM

A gotdamn idiot.

Thread
07-07-2015, 11:43 AM
A gotdamn idiot.

One must take any of those articles with a grain of salt. Fish parlayed his daughter's eye condition into a 3 state odyssey ending up at Staples admonishing Kobe 17 June 2010.

Killakobe81
07-07-2015, 11:56 AM
http://globalnews.ca/news/1940194/ceo-says-he-will-cut-his-pay-to-give-every-employee-a-minimum-wage-of-70000/

http://fortune.com/2014/12/18/ceo-gives-back-bonus-says-he-doesnt-deserve-it/

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/companies-follow-ben-jerrys-lead-wages/story?id=19920634

http://www.inc.com/john-boitnott/15-lowest-paid-ceos-of-major-corporations.html

In some of the examples you gave ... those dudes were doing it to placate stock holders, as a PR move etc. None of the examples I saw was it 25% of their worth though Im sure in the history of biz it has happened ...What west is doing is gambling on the Spurs and turning down a sure 25% of his estimated net worth. It is something that should be applauded on one hand but also can be ridiculed on the other. I already said I respect his decision as a man in control of his own fate.

If you want to use a business example he forgoes a signing contract as a recording artist, or startup up money as Founder to retain creative control. I respect that part. But no promises that he will ring and he still turned down 12 million ... it's one of those crazy brilliant things and I can see both sides.

in2deep
07-07-2015, 12:00 PM
In some of the examples you gave ... those dudes were doing it to placate stock holders, as a PR move etc. None of the examples I saw was it 25% of their worth though Im sure in the history of biz it has happened ...What west is doing is gambling on the Spurs and turning down a sure @5% of his estimated net worth. It is something that should be applauded on one hand but also can be ridiculed on the other. I already said I respect his decision as a man in control of his own fate.

If you want to use a business example he forgoes a signing contract as a recording artist, or startup up money as Founder to retain creative control. I respect that part. But no promises that he will ring and he still turned down 12 million ... it's one of those crazy brilliant things and I can see both sides.

West strikes me as the dude who would go bungy jumping, skydiving and swimming with sharks all in the same day.

it seems he loves life more than money. and is not afraid to gamble. If he helps to win a ship next year he can easily command 15 or more the following season. And in worst case, he still will get about 5. Only idiots would think he is risking too much.

he is a great human being and more should follow suit.

Thread
07-07-2015, 12:01 PM
West strikes me as the dude who would go bungy jumping, skydiving and swimming with sharks all in the same day.

it seems he loves life more than money.

:rolleyes

in2deep
07-07-2015, 12:02 PM
remember the cap will move way up after next year.

He will easily command 15mil

Trill Clinton
07-07-2015, 12:06 PM
david west is a conscious brother and professional race baiter like myself. one look at his twitter timeline and i was sold. i'm adding this brother's jersey to my collection.

he retweed this, west is a real nigga

Killakobe81
07-07-2015, 12:08 PM

it seems he loves life more than money. and is not afraid to gamble. If he helps to win a ship next year he can easily command 15 or more the following season. And in worst case, he still will get about 5. Only idiots would think he is risking too much.

Said the part that he may get that back next year with a strong showing ...still a risk.

Killakobe81
07-07-2015, 12:11 PM
remember the cap will move way up after next year.

He will easily command 15mil

and if he rings and that happens he is good ... if they lose and no one wants to pay 15 x what the spurs paid than he lost BIG time. Again I am not hating here I think this is a one of the best stories of the NBA off-season EXTREMELY fascinating. I actually thought West was a better fit for the Lakers than LMa because we could use his leadership and fire ...

xellos88330
07-07-2015, 12:12 PM
I think this thread is hilarious! It only states the fans views based on the amount a player makes. It never takes into consideration the amount the organization spends to get a championship. Ownership parts ways with millions upon millions of dollars to pay players to win the championship. Look at how much money teams threw at LeBron to sniff a championship. Basically you are giving up hundreds of millions of dollars to win. How much money has the Laker organization gave up to players to win championships? Why is it such a big deal that a player does the same when both player and organization do it to win?

If you argue that the player puts butts in the seats, I will say you are full of shit. As shitty as the Lakers were last season, they still averaged 17k fans and Kobe wasn't even present. Those people were there to see the LAKERS not a fucking Swaggy P.

hater
07-07-2015, 12:16 PM
LMAO at these retards hating on the decision

David West is guaranted to make AT LEAST 90 million throughout his career.

even if he has a career ending injury in game one. He still a multimillionaire.

LOL dumb asses

Buddy Mignon
07-07-2015, 12:26 PM

Wow... just wow. I can't wit to see the look on his face when its game six in the playoffs with about 10 seconds left and the Spurs are about to go fishing. What a fucking idiot he is.

DMX7
07-07-2015, 12:34 PM
I would have played that final year and then tried to land on a title contender. But why waste another year of your life losing if you can afford to leave?

Thread
07-07-2015, 01:00 PM
I would have played that final year and then tried to land on a title contender. But why waste another year of your life losing if you can afford to leave?

+ supposedly he & Bird had a major falling out and he was leaving no matter what.

Thread
07-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Wow... just wow. I can't wit to see the look on his face when its game six in the playoffs with about 10 seconds left and the Spurs are about to...

...Allen back pedals into that coffin area causing the stewards to ravel the ropes & Madison Avenue to cease selling their shit.

---

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now? They're here to fuckin' stay, oh, how I long for a Vernors and yesterday. Suddenly, I'm not half the half of man I used to be, something's taken hold of me, a shadow and it's hangin' over an older man on a fixed income, oh, yesterday. Yesterday, 5-4 was such an easy game to play, now? Cubby needs a place to hide away, oh, I so fuckin' believe in yesterday. Why did she have to go away, and not leave a niqqer a silver tray? Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Oh.

ambchang
07-07-2015, 01:16 PM
In some of the examples you gave ... those dudes were doing it to placate stock holders, as a PR move etc. None of the examples I saw was it 25% of their worth though Im sure in the history of biz it has happened ...What west is doing is gambling on the Spurs and turning down a sure 25% of his estimated net worth. It is something that should be applauded on one hand but also can be ridiculed on the other. I already said I respect his decision as a man in control of his own fate.

I can see both sides as well, and it depends what a person values more.

To an extent, this is a classical case of Maslow's hierachy of needs:
1 - Physiological - I would imagine all NBA players have this covered, and I would imagine all of us here on Spurstalk has this covered as well. So David West would be no exception
2 - Safety - See 1
3 - Love / Belonging - This is a little deep, and I have no insights into West's persona life.
4 - Esteem - NBA players, in general, would have some degree of self-esteem. West determined that the respect is not going to come from the money he earns, but from winning.
5 - Self - Actualization - West may view the championship as the ultimate goal.
6 - Self Trancendence - We are seeing this in the charity work of many billionaires. I don't see myself ever getting to this stage, or even stage 5, but I would imagine most of the population will never reach these stages either.

Killakobe81
07-07-2015, 01:44 PM

This is allbi was saying plus I really hope the local media presses him on how toxic the Indy locker room was at the end ...outside of Tony poaching teammates wives Spurs will feel like heaven ...

Splits
07-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Like I said I get wanting to win ...I hate to lose. I also get that he has only made one conference finals in his career. This allowed him to control his own destiny. A strong showing with the spurs and maybe he gets that back easy next year ...all that being said ...

I couldnt in good faith advise him as a friend, family member, agent or financial advisor to make that move. As a man he made that decision and to be honest he should be applauded for placing winning above all else. Never said he didnt deserve props for that and it should be a bigger story that a guy with some game left and a player option walked away from a extra 10-11 million ...

But you can understand why for most people how they would consider that crazy despite the above ...right? OF course Kool and Luva are trollin' but take away any salt or hate whatever ...take him away from the Spurs if he did that to play for Cleveland you would respect it but you can see why some would call it "dumb" ...right?

I get it, not saying you're wrong, just that it is impossible to put yourself in his shoes. And yeah, if he'd have gone to Cleveland I would be salty as fuck, still wouldn't call it dumb though.

Thread
07-07-2015, 03:35 PM
^dum dee dum, dum...the site ogre is here.

Killakobe81
07-07-2015, 03:49 PM
I get it, not saying you're wrong, just that it is impossible to put yourself in his shoes. And yeah, if he'd have gone to Cleveland I would be salty as fuck, still wouldn't call it dumb though.

Didnt say you or I would or should call him dumb ...I said if you arent vested in this you can see why the average person could call it dumb ...

the saltiness is from petty fans. I wanted West (pre Bass) but I hold him no will will we couldnt pay him 12 million and he wasnt taking 1.4 to play for a rebuilding team ...and that is his right.

Infinite_limit
07-07-2015, 03:50 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/I3ZlSBP0H2Q/maxresdefault.jpg

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Meh, I don't hate on players like Kobe or Melo for valuing money over winning, that's all good and I would probably feel the same way as they do..

I can't hate on players that take paycuts, either..they aren't doing it for anybody but themselves, its their own decision..these are grown men, not 18-year old kids, they can make their own financial decisions..West is taking a pay cut because he wants to win, its not like he's Antoine Walker or Iverson blowing 100k in a night when the dealer keeps hitting 21, tbh:lol..

Killakobe81
07-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Meh, I don't hate on players like Kobe or Melo for valuing money over winning, that's all good and I would probably feel the same way as they do..

I can't hate on players that take paycuts, either..they aren't doing it for anybody but themselves, its their own decision..these are grown men, not 18-year old kids, they can make their own financial decisions..West is taking a pay cut because he wants to win, its not like he's Antoine Walker or Iverson blowing 100k in a night when the dealer keeps hitting 21, tbh:lol..

I respect it and like I said it deserves more pub but it's not like he is curing cancer. Someone said he is a great human being and more should be like him ...realy?! he wants to win for himself, not Tim. You respect the fact he took a whole bunch less to do it but lets not knight him here ... he still is doing it for himself ultimately.

midnightpulp
07-07-2015, 06:30 PM
...Allen back pedals into that coffin area causing the stewards to ravel the ropes & Madison Avenue to cease selling their shit.

---

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now? They're here to fuckin' stay, oh, how I long for a Vernors and yesterday. Suddenly, I'm not half the half of man I used to be, something's taken hold of me, a shadow and it's hangin' over an older man on a fixed income, oh, yesterday. Yesterday, 5-4 was such an easy game to play, now? Cubby needs a place to hide away, oh, I so fuckin' believe in yesterday. Why did she have to go away, and not leave a niqqer a silver tray? Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Oh.

At least you got Roy Hibbert.

Koolaid_Man
07-07-2015, 07:38 PM

I dont respect West at all....aint NOTHING fucking noble about leaving 10 tickets on the table....there's chillren out here starving man...you mean his life is that empty till he thinks he's shit if he doesnt win a fucking NBA ring...YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME...and why do yall keep saying at least he's not Antione Walker or Allen Iverson....man I'm with those guys...I'd rather blow through my own gotdam money (in this case 10 million) spending it on weed, pussy, bitches, hoes, gambling, cocaine, expensive as Cognac, or whatever else carnal pleasure I could...rather than give it back to the rich white man...

.this aint even about basketball for me..its about this dude being a TOTAL dumbass....the last time a team was crowned before the season..I wonder what happened....ohh thats right Lebron lost in the finals a few weeks ago...:lol this dumbass fool just gave away 10 mill for nothing....and when the Spurs flame out like the Lakers did with Karl Malone, Gary Payton, SShaq, and Kobe this dude will be remembered alright....:lol

What a dumbass

#No respectatall

Mark Celibate
07-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Fin didn't get a ring the first season with Spurs either, but he didn't cry for a trade, he stayed on board and finally won a ring the 2nd year. Those people have faith so they wouldn't quit after just one season with no success (as your Kobe did, time and time again).

Thread
07-07-2015, 08:34 PM
At least you got Roy Hibbert.

Yep, The Hibs. Only 28.

The roster is a hodge-podge. Just have to accept it & take it like a trooper.

daslicer
07-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Money does buy happiness but there is a ceiling on that after a certain amount money. I was reading the other day that after a person makes over 75k that the amount happiness money brings decreases. West on the other hand from what I have heard has millions saved in his bank account to hold him over for the rest of his life. Apparently he was looking to experience some thing new which money couldn't buy which is a shot at a championship. Also West is only signed for a year so its safe to say even at his old age he will make a few million more dollars after this year is over as long as he doesn't get a serious injury. Most likely West will recoup the 11 mil he lost through playing a few more years. I think this was a calculating move by West.

Silver&Black
07-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Malone and The Glove took huge paycuts to play for the Lakers....

UZER
07-07-2015, 09:13 PM
I dont respect West at all....aint NOTHING fucking noble about leaving 10 tickets on the table....there's chillren out here starving man...you mean his life is that empty till he thinks he's shit if he doesnt win a fucking NBA ring...YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME...and why do yall keep saying at least he's not Antione Walker or Allen Iverson....man I'm with those guys...I'd rather blow through my own gotdam money (in this case 10 million) spending it on weed, pussy, bitches, hoes, gambling, cocaine, expensive as Cognac, or whatever else carnal pleasure I could...rather than give it back to the rich white man...

.this aint even about basketball for me..its about this dude being a TOTAL dumbass....the last time a team was crowned before the season..I wonder what happened....ohh thats right Lebron lost in the finals a few weeks ago...:lol this dumbass fool just gave away 10 mill for nothing....and when the Spurs flame out like the Lakers did with Karl Malone, Gary Payton, SShaq, and Kobe this dude will be remembered alright....:lol

What a dumbass

#No respectatall

Nope I agree. Let's respect Kobe the rapist.