PDA

View Full Version : Quick Thoughts - 2015 Summer League Game 1 (Spurs vs. Sixers)

timvp
07-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Dairis Bertans
19 points, 3 assists and 2 rebounds in 26 minutes
6-for-10 from the field, 5-for-8 on three-pointers, 2-for-3 at the line
Easily the most polished player on the court for the Spurs. Dairis Bertans was confident from the opening tip and remained aggressive throughout the game. His outside stroke looks solid and he flashed the ability to take the ball off the dribble. Defensively, he pressured the ball well at times. The downside is that he's a 6-foot-4 shooting guard who would be a below average athlete on the NBA level. But if he can keep hitting shots, don't be surprised if he gets at least an invite to training camp, especially since the Spurs need guard depth and shooting depth.

Kyle Anderson
8 points, 9 rebounds and 2 assists in 27 minutes
2-for-9 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers, 4-for-6 at the line
Unfortunately, Kyle Anderson was very underwhelming to begin summer league. He struggled to create offense for himself. His passing and playmaking were non-existent. He didn't look confident in his jumper. On defense, he didn't stay in front of his man well and offered little help. He looks like he's in better shape but he still played at his normal (slow) speed. I hoping he gets the ball more in forthcoming games so that the Spurs can get a better read on whether or not he's a legit prospect.

Cady Lalanne
12 points, 5 rebounds, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers and 8 fouls in 27
5-for-14 shooting, 0-for-3 on three-pointers, 2-for-3 at the line
I liked what I saw out there from Cady Lalanne. For the 55th pick in the draft, he has impressive tools. He's a big, sturdy 6-foot-10 with a 7-foot-5 wingspan who isn't afraid to play physical basketball. I thought he ran the court well north and south, although he's relatively slow with his lateral movement. On offense, his jumper looks smooth and he didn't hesitate to fire away. On defense, he clogged the lane well and knew where to be most of the time. If he proves to be able to hit jumpers out to the three-point line on a consistent basis, the Spurs may have found something here. It's not everyday you pluck a player this long with an outside jumper from deep in the draft. So far, so good.

Livio Jean-Charles
6 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 6 blocks in 23
3-for-11 from the field
Let's start with the good: Defense. Livio Jean-Charles is a live wire on that end of the court. He's athletic and has great timing when going for blocks. He seemed to always have his nose in the thick of things. Out on the perimeter, he displayed quick feet and an ability to stay in front of his man. He ran the court very well and his mobility was impressive. On offense, he looked uncomfortable doing anything outside of the rim. The form on his jumper looked good, even if the shots were off. He didn't seem to have much ability to dribble or pass. All in all, since he's been such a mysterious player the last year or so, it was good to see that the knee injury didn't completely rob him of his athleticism. He needs a lot more marinating before he's an NBA player on offense but he already looks like a difference-maker on defense.

Casper Ware
12 points, 6 rebounds 3 assists and 3 turnovers in 22 minutes
Casper Ware started at point guard. He competed well but I didn't see anything to be too excited about. He doesn't seem to be much of a playmaker but his aggressive play helped open up opportunities for his teammates on both ends.

coopdogg3
07-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the write-up, good stuff.

Do we really need offense and outside jumpers from Lalanne? He seems to be a Aron Baynes-replacement. Any offense would just be icing on the cake.

heyheymymy
07-06-2015, 09:29 PM
YES! ST is back! Thanks timvp

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Lalanne and Livio should continue their good play against the Jazz tomorrow. They have no noteworthy prospects in their frontcourt.

2centsworth
07-06-2015, 09:30 PM
So disappointed in what I saw from Anderson. He looks to be running in quicksand. His jumper is weak and the only thing he has going for him is he's tall and can dribble. Looks to be a bust.

Bertans has an NBA stroke and is cagey. He'll struggle on defense, but he's worth a TC invite for sure.

Cady is a steal. Needs time and coaching, but the tools are there.

Livio Jean-Charles looked like he couldn't play a lick in the 1st half, but turned it around in the 2nd. I'm excited to see if he improves over the next few games.

everyone else can't really play in the NBA except maybe Nastic in a few years because of his size.

Aztecfan03
07-06-2015, 09:30 PM

Do we really need offense and outside jumpers from Lalanne? He seems to be a Aron Baynes-replacement. Any offense would just be icing on the cake.
Baynes + Bonner replacement?

myhc
07-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Damn. Great to have your write ups timvp. I always looked forward to reading those.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2015, 09:31 PM

Do we really need offense and outside jumpers from Lalanne? He seems to be a Aron Baynes-replacement. Any offense would just be icing on the cake.The Spurs wanted Baynes to have an outside jumper. Big men without great post games need to stay out of the way of the Spurs offense.

icango
07-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Cady Lalanne

8 fouls is there no limits on fouls in the summer league. Were they good hard foul or is he a hack-box?

Walter Donovan
Dairis Bertans
Easily the most polished player on the court for the Spurs. Dairis Bertans was confident from the opening tip and remained aggressive throughout the game. His outside stroke looks solid and he flashed the ability to take the ball off the dribble. Defensively, he pressured the ball well at times. The downside is that he's a 6-foot-4 shooting guard who would be a below average athlete on the NBA level. But if he can keep hitting shots, don't be surprised if he gets at least an invite to training camp, especially since the Spurs need guard depth and shooting depth.

Kyle Anderson
Unfortunately, Kyle Anderson was very underwhelming to begin summer league. He struggled to create offense for himself. His passing and playmaking were non-existent. He didn't look confident in his jumper. On defense, he didn't stay in front of his man well and offered little help. He looks like he's in better shape but he still played at his normal (slow) speed. I hoping he gets the ball more in forthcoming games so that the Spurs can get a better read on whether or not he's a legit prospect.

Cady Lalanne
I liked what I saw out there from Cady Lalanne. For the 55th pick in the draft, he has impressive tools. He's a big, sturdy 6-foot-10 with a 7-foot-5 wingspan who isn't afraid to play physical basketball. I thought he ran the court well north and south, although he's relatively slow with his lateral movement. On offense, his jumper looks smooth and he didn't hesitate to fire away. On defense, he clogged the lane well and knew where to be most of the time. If he proves to be able to hit jumpers out to the three-point line on a consistent basis, the Spurs may have found something here. It's not everyday you pluck a player this long with an outside jumper from deep in the draft. So far, so good.

Livio Jean-Charles
3-for-11 from the field
Let's start with the good: Defense. Livio Jean-Charles is a live wire on that end of the court. He's athletic and has great timing when going for blocks. He seemed to always have his nose in the thick of things. Out on the perimeter, he displayed quick feet and an ability to stay in front of his man. He ran the court very well and his mobility was impressive. On offense, he looked uncomfortable doing anything outside of the rim. The form on his jumper looked good, even if the shots were off. He didn't seem to have much ability to dribble or pass. All in all, since he's been such a mysterious player the last year or so, it was good to see that the knee injury didn't completely rob him of his athleticism. He needs a lot more marinating before he's an NBA player on offense but he already looks like a difference-maker on defense.

Casper Ware
Casper Ware started at point guard. He competed well but I didn't see anything to be too excited about. He doesn't seem to be much of a playmaker but his aggressive play helped open up opportunities for his teammates on both ends.

Very informative! I didn't get to watch the game so thank you very much for the write up!

gilmor2002
omg.. I missed TiMVP write-ups since 3 years ago..

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2015, 09:34 PM
YES! ST is back! Thanks timvp

Mr Bones
07-06-2015, 09:34 PM
:tu

turb0time
07-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Timvp pls :cry

:bobo

TheGoldStandard
07-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Bertans looks solid right now but come Vegas summer league we might be singing the praises of Jarell Eddie.

What concerns me is Kyle doesn't have a killer instinct at all and doesn't play to his strengths. I'm not sure if they told him to sit back and let someone else roll with it but he was passive and slow

tholdren
07-06-2015, 09:37 PM
will shannon scott get any action now that everyone knows marcus denmon is bad?

Scottie Pippen
07-06-2015, 09:39 PM

Chinook
07-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Cady Lalanne

8 fouls is there no limits on fouls in the summer league. Were they good hard foul or is he a hack-box?

Foul limit is 10 in this league. For the most part, they weren't good fouls. At least three were and-1s. Two more were offensive fouls. I thought they could have called another five on him, honestly. He was slapping down so much.

Shipupi
07-06-2015, 09:41 PM
The only thing I'll say for KA is that he averaged over 20 points on 44% shooting in the D-League, which is about equal (or better?) competition, maybe he was off today but he probably has the tools to do it

2centsworth
07-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Bertans looks solid right now but come Vegas summer league we might be singing the praises of Jarell Eddie.

What concerns me is Kyle doesn't have a killer instinct at all and doesn't play to his strengths. I'm not sure if they told him to sit back and let someone else roll with it but he was passive and slow:toast

picnroll
07-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Thanks TimVP. Hopefully ST will regain its quality form and the endless stupid Porker, Enrique threads will die.

BD24
07-06-2015, 09:45 PM
I would personally like to see Wayne Blackshear get some more run next game. He was decent for the all of 4 minutes he was out there. He can't do anyworse than denmon did at least thats for sure.

Samr
07-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Thanks TimVP. Hopefully ST will regain its quality form and the endless stupid Porker, Enrique threads will die.

That's what ran me off for a few years. I'm sure the LMA signing will bring everyone out of the woodwork again (for better and for worse).

RD2191
07-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the thoughts.

Darkwaters
07-06-2015, 09:54 PM

Great! They can both come to camp and fight it out there. The more prospects the better.

picnroll
07-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Game against Utah when Bertrans is matched up with Exum, Hood, Cotton will give a read on how viable He is.

coachmac87
07-06-2015, 10:00 PM
If Anderson can't shoot he's worthless IMO. He can handle the rock and has size...IMO he's a PG but he just can't guard PG's. Chip needs to fix that jumper ASAP...or I can see him traded at the deadline

MeloHype
07-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Cady Lalanne

I think the limit is 10

jjktkk
07-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the write up.

8FOR!3
07-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Does anyone see a little Al-Farouq Aminu in Jean-Charles??

RD2191
07-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Man, I'd really like to see LJC on the Spurs this season. I think he has potential.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Dairis Bertans

Kyle Anderson

Cady Lalanne

Livio Jean-Charles
3-for-11 from the field

Casper Ware

Thanks mate. I hope you, Kori and the kids are well. :)

Raven
07-06-2015, 10:18 PM

no, aminu is an actually average defensive player, the only reason he is sung as a defender, is because he is terrible offensively and is somewhat athletic.

Aztecfan03
07-06-2015, 10:27 PM
That's what ran me off for a few years. I'm sure the LMA signing will bring everyone out of the woodwork again (for better and for worse).
but, but, but, they draw so much traffic! :cry:cry:cry

Big P
07-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Nice to see you back! Thanks for the short analysis! :toast I forgot they were playing today, but they are back on tomorrow night 8 central against the Jazz.

Holden_Caulfield
07-06-2015, 10:34 PM
missed these. :toast

AFBlue
07-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Bertans has a quick release and showed the ability to hit jumpers while spotting up and coming off screens. He made the most of his minutes for sure.

I also really liked Jean-Charles for his D and effort, but he's useless offensively. Spending more time in the system and more time with Chip would do wonders, because he looks lost. But that D is promising.

Lalanne was on a mission to prove he could take and make as many jumpers as humanly possible. I thought I was looking at Mareese Speights for a second. Honestly though I liked his aggressiveness on that end. Unfortunately on D he was matched up against a beast of a man in Okafor and understandably struggled. All in all though, good early returns from Cady.

Oh yeah, and Anderson was garbage.

manufan10
07-06-2015, 10:37 PM
no thank you for this turrible writeup. i disagree with everything that was said.

:lol

manufan10
07-06-2015, 10:38 PM
Man, I'd really like to see LJC on the Spurs this season. I think he has potential.

Yeah, I'd like to see him in the Anderson roll. Spending time with the main squad, but getting a lot of burn in Austin. That would be most beneficial to him so he can learn the Spurs' system.

thOOdee
07-06-2015, 10:42 PM

ElNono
07-06-2015, 10:44 PM
thanks for the writeup :tu

FuzzyLumpkins
07-06-2015, 10:47 PM
LJC needs to work on his hands and I thought the athleticism he was competing against caught him by surprise. His demeanor reminded me a bit of Mahimi in that he is thinking way too much right now.

Anderson is more willing but he was getting outmuscled for boards and pushed around a bit. He needs to quit reaching in and mindlessly swiping.

Ware I thought had good quickness and for the first time running the offense did okay. I liked his demeanor out there.

Lalanne surprised me with his range. He is very raw with his defensive footwork and hand placement. He is going to foul out a lot if he gets playing time until he polishes his game.

Bertans showed very clearly that he can catch and shoot. Seems to have decent handles and good size. I definitely agree that quickness will limit him. Bench role is his ceiling likely. You do not want him on the Harden's of the world.

SPURt
07-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Bertans looked good, especially that fade away going out of bounds in the corner! Sadly, it's only one game. I can't wait for this forum to roast him after he goes 2-12 from three in the next game!

Outside of Bertans, some broken shots on that team... Jeez...

manufan10
07-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Speaking of the next game, when is that tbh?

Brazil
07-06-2015, 10:53 PM
It has been a while since I saw livio play the last time... His defense and athleticism are there, that's the most important. Happy for the kid tbh

lmbebo
07-06-2015, 10:56 PM
know these write ups may not last, but glad they are back. I know people tried to replicate what you did, but you got a great eye for the game and understanding.

:flag:

EVAY
07-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Timvp. Nice to read and good discussion starter. Appreciate the time and effort.

cd98
07-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Good write up. Saw potential but I don't think any are roster worthy at this point. Charles and Lalanne need more overseas cooking. Hopefully Spurs can convince Lalanne to go to one of their overseas "farm" teams and develop his game for a few years.

littlecoyotecoin
07-06-2015, 10:59 PM
Speaking of the next game, when is that tbh?

Tomorrow. Get some sleep.

Spursmania
07-06-2015, 11:06 PM
omg.. I missed TiMVP write-ups since 3 years ago..

bigfan
07-06-2015, 11:10 PM
As an out of towner I really appreciate the TIMVP write-ups, please do it all season if you can!

ElNono
07-06-2015, 11:12 PM
ya, writeups are great, tbh... we tried to let robdiaz2191 run the site for a year, but it didn't really work out :(

RD2191
07-06-2015, 11:14 PM
ya, writeups are great, tbh... we tried to let robdiaz2191 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42690) run the site for a year, but it didn't really work out :(
It ain't easy being a gangsta.

kaji157
07-06-2015, 11:17 PM
Quick thought: It was too obvious that Dairis Bertrans was the only professional basketball player out there.
He showed that as of now he can be that sparkplug ala Neal, Belineli.

south side spur
07-06-2015, 11:22 PM
will shannon scott get any action now that everyone knows marcus denmon is bad?
As bad as Denmon is, believe it or not, Scott's offensive game is virtually non-existent. The best you can expect from him are buckets in transition. Defensively, he's probably the best on ball defender on this summer league roster. So in that respect, he's an improvement from Denmon. I guess if the Spurs are looking to simply replace Cory's defense, Scott isn't a bad alternative but as much heat as Cory took for his lack of production on offense, Scott would actually be a lot less productive offensively. He doesn't have much in his arsenal.

raybies
07-06-2015, 11:23 PM
Some other quick thoughts:

Kyle Anderson: He didn't perform up to expectations or what we would've hoped for, but it was only game 1. I'm not going to write him off yet. He didn't really play out of character that much, He's a pass first unselfish player. He looked to get others involved and took what came to him. Had he have made a few more shots it would've been a whole nother story. I think we need to understand that he's not a 20 point per game scorer, although he averaged about this much in Austin. In his role, on the newly revamped roster, he's not gonna be asked to do anything else than what he did today and that's to slightly create, take the open shot, and occasionally attack mismatches. He just missed shots. On defense, he reached a lot and got decimated by the pick and roll. It helps that with his size, he can switch onto bigger players in a pinch. Like I said, one game. I expect him to come out and play much better tomorrow. Also, I would like to see him in a pick and pop with Cady.

Livio Jean-Charles: During the game I had a realization, and that is what kind of player he is. He's a defensive stopper with versatility to guard multiple positions and on offense, he's a garbage man. He cleans up around the basket with put backs and boards. He could of easily scored more had he held onto the ball. Not sure if this is a common theme or if he just had an off game in this aspect. His jumper looked fine, but he missed several. I'm interested to see how he does over time here. He also is pretty good in transition, since he is so mobile and has some athleticism. If he can hit the mid range jumper, he could have a long career. Hat tip to Chinook for making the point that he could fit in with the bench unit this upcoming season because they wouldn't really need the offense. And he could play wing on D and PF or C on offense due to the spacing of West and Diaw. But 6 blocks!! There wasn't really much of a scouting report on him I'd imagine but I'm interested to see how he does in his next game with the word out. I could see him competing with Kyle for the back up 3 spot next year and I hope it happens. He was a ball of energy on D. It makes me wonder how he has played so little on ASVEL. Maybe they were holding him back.

Cady LaLanne: He started off well on defense against Okafor to start, but as the game wore on Okafor began to have his way with him. He showed a lot though. He was solid on D. He does seem to be foul-prone as his scouting report suggests, so he will need work here. But he showed he could be a serviceable back up with that sweet stroke of his. I know they had him out to the 3, but i think his range is around 17 feet and that would suit him best. I also liked some of the moves i saw from him, showed a lot of finesse. They didn't go in for the most part, but it said something: he's got some skill. I would like to see him with less fouls next game and shooting closer in.

Dairis Bertans: I don't have much to say about him other than he shot lights out. He reminded me of a Patty Mills-Belineli type. He's a little small for a two but i think he could get away being a combo much like Gary Neal. He played some point and while he didn't show eye opening ball handling skills, he did get the ball across the court. I think with a couple more games like this, he could be getting a contract. He can shoot and has a quick release. For a 3rd stringer, not bad. And if he played with the second unit, all he'd have to do is hit open threes. He could also be used around screens like Marco

BlackSilver
07-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Thanks

T Park
07-06-2015, 11:40 PM
If it can work under the cap is sign LJC and Lalanne. Both look damn damn good

SAGirl
07-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Offensively Kyle's best attribute is passing. His jump shot is not a certain thing. In the d'league we saw him post up a lot and be aggressive in transition. He handled the ball a lot more and made his own decisions a lot. He was obviously working on his offensive game in the d'league. Here he was off-the ball a whole lot and looked to get the ball movement going. Like everyone I wanted to see more from him, but he wasn't a featured guy like he was in the d'league, which is just as well because he won't be featured on the bench either. He has still to find his role out there. He was active and looked to be in better shape than last year. Too early to give up on a young guy who has still barely played in the nba.

I liked Cady and LJC as well, each has something to build upon and showed potential. They obviously are role players that still need to improve in areas, but it is fun to see these young guys and project possibilities for improvement.

Solid D
07-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Awesome to see timvp with the goods!

Jean-Charles needs serious player development in SA. His hands are almost Nazr Mohammedesque, so there may not be much the Spurs can do about that...which is a shame because of all the dribble-penetration drop-offs and putback opportunities that he will be missing out on.

One thing about Kyle that I like is that he doesn't ever stop trying to rebound the basketball. He just might lead the Spurs' SL squad this summer.

Cloud786
07-07-2015, 01:15 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/gettyimages-479731796_master.jpg?itok=9kEoosFk
I'd still do Becky tbh...

Looks like I'm late to the party... oh well, my two cents.

Kyle Anderson
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/479728720-utah-jazz-summer-league-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXm2geYUa74yLUBXacZRj5QS8FiqL x7dKyNILl0MITBPbnE83UFYTZRlRtY%2F27%2FChXye4s3hQJF WHtcwQ4jd6POoLo64W%2FEIABHPEBmiJY9Gf

Well, a picture is a worth a thousand words. He played just as bad as he looks up there. What frustrates me the most about him are his glaring defensive deficiencies. He just can't keep up with his assignment, and even though his anticipation skills are above average, when he guesses wrong, it's a guaranteed bucket for the other team. Lastly, he had several drives to the basket in which he jumped in the air with no idea who to pass it to, and that resulted in several turnovers.

Livio Jean-Charles
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/479723528-livio-jean-charles-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXhfGOnT%2F3AnlkOPjywDubJ7GYA oLCN7dNJdoBwAx%2FHwrrRyHI2muCynVG1VWzWE%2FH6CqFcQ% 2BP%2Fo4apygN4AhXhwtjAGr%2FelvAmdXQSwlwVzK

The picture I used is pretty ironic, considering he couldn't buy a bucket the whole game. Just like Kyle Anderson, his hip to apex release speed is way too slow. From what I saw, he had the mobility of a power forward, and excellent footwork on defense. He understands verticality, and doesn't bring his arms down unless he's confident in his ability to block the ball without fouling. His shot selection was poor, as he shot a few contested jumpers, and he experienced a case of Ayres-hands. For those who didn't watch the game, tied 71-71, Okafor was doubled and passed to a cutter, who got his shit stuffed by LJC. LJC ran the floor, and on an alley-oop sealed the victory for us.

Cady Lalanne
http://img.vavel.com/image-6776043744.jpg

Man, with all this talk about his length, you really have to see this guy in person. His arms are ridiculously long, and he uses them really well to contest shots. His defense was good, although too aggressive, which is why he racked up so many fouls. Unlike LJC, he tends to bring his arms down and gambles. I usually don't like trigger happy players, but his release was quick for a big man and he knocked down the available elbow jumpshots with consistency (shot some 3s, airmailed or badly bricked them all). He has defensive awareness, so he rotated and offered paint protection in this game (although that won't work in the NBA unless you have Serge/DJ/Timmy/Howard like instincts and reflexes). He made Okafor work hard for every basket.

Dairis Bertrans
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/37/42/73/8269546/3/628x471.jpg

Can catch and shoot really well. Quick release, and has an underrated skill of being able to run tight screens well. He knows how to read his defender, and curl or flare depending on the situation. He was blown by repeatedly, and couldn't hold his ground when players drove into him. Had his hand in the cookie jar too often, but if he learns how to absorb contact defensively and dribble on the perimeter without having to go back to the basket (like CoJo of old), then he could be the Belli replacement we're looking for.

Darion Atkins
http://media.graytvinc.com/images/UVA+Darion+Atkins+0319.jpeg

He didn't do anything, aside from launch two airballs in the first half. After the second one, he stared at his fingers like something was wrong with them, and laughed. Now, I'm not gonna lie, when I airball at my local gym, I wince in pain and grab my shoulder, but come on man. Come on :lol

TheGoldStandard
07-07-2015, 01:21 AM
JLC needs to work n his release point. Feel it's to high

cutewizard
07-07-2015, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the analysis, Sir timvp!

Austin_Toros
07-07-2015, 01:46 AM
I'm hoping Wayne Blackshear gets some decent court time. Interested to see what he can do.

BillMc
07-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the "Quick Thoughts" OP. Those write ups are why I started coming to this site all those years ago.

BillMc
07-07-2015, 02:05 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/gettyimages-479731796_master.jpg?itok=9kEoosFk
I'd still do Becky tbh...

Looks like I'm late to the party... oh well, my two cents.

Kyle Anderson
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/479728720-utah-jazz-summer-league-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXm2geYUa74yLUBXacZRj5QS8FiqL x7dKyNILl0MITBPbnE83UFYTZRlRtY%2F27%2FChXye4s3hQJF WHtcwQ4jd6POoLo64W%2FEIABHPEBmiJY9Gf

Well, a picture is a worth a thousand words. He played just as bad as he looks up there. What frustrates me the most about him are his glaring defensive deficiencies. He just can't keep up with his assignment, and even though his anticipation skills are above average, when he guesses wrong, it's a guaranteed bucket for the other team. Lastly, he had several drives to the basket in which he jumped in the air with no idea who to pass it to, and that resulted in several turnovers.

Livio Jean-Charles
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/479723528-livio-jean-charles-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXhfGOnT%2F3AnlkOPjywDubJ7GYA oLCN7dNJdoBwAx%2FHwrrRyHI2muCynVG1VWzWE%2FH6CqFcQ% 2BP%2Fo4apygN4AhXhwtjAGr%2FelvAmdXQSwlwVzK

The picture I used is pretty ironic, considering he couldn't buy a bucket the whole game. Just like Kyle Anderson, his hip to apex release speed is way too slow. From what I saw, he had the mobility of a power forward, and excellent footwork on defense. He understands verticality, and doesn't bring his arms down unless he's confident in his ability to block the ball without fouling. His shot selection was poor, as he shot a few contested jumpers, and he experienced a case of Ayres-hands. For those who didn't watch the game, tied 71-71, Okafor was doubled and passed to a cutter, who got his shit stuffed by LJC. LJC ran the floor, and on an alley-oop sealed the victory for us.

Cady Lalanne
http://img.vavel.com/image-6776043744.jpg

Man, with all this talk about his length, you really have to see this guy in person. His arms are ridiculously long, and he uses them really well to contest shots. His defense was good, although too aggressive, which is why he racked up so many fouls. Unlike LJC, he tends to bring his arms down and gambles. I usually don't like trigger happy players, but his release was quick for a big man and he knocked down the available elbow jumpshots with consistency (shot some 3s, airmailed or badly bricked them all). He has defensive awareness, so he rotated and offered paint protection in this game (although that won't work in the NBA unless you have Serge/DJ/Timmy/Howard like instincts and reflexes). He made Okafor work hard for every basket.

Dairis Bertrans
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/37/42/73/8269546/3/628x471.jpg

Can catch and shoot really well. Quick release, and has an underrated skill of being able to run tight screens well. He knows how to read his defender, and curl or flare depending on the situation. He was blown by repeatedly, and couldn't hold his ground when players drove into him. Had his hand in the cookie jar too often, but if he learns how to absorb contact defensively and dribble on the perimeter without having to go back to the basket (like CoJo of old), then he could be the Belli replacement we're looking for.

Darion Atkins

He didn't do anything, aside from launch two airballs in the first half. After the second one, he stared at his fingers like something was wrong with them, and laughed. Now, I'm not gonna lie, when I airball at my local gym, I wince in pain and grab my shoulder, but come on man. Come on :lol

Nice write up. Thanks!

spurspokesman
07-07-2015, 02:07 AM
Return of the mack (Timvp) lol. Good to see the game thoughts again

timvp
07-07-2015, 03:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_87HC_Ki06Y

Man, Bertans is even more badass than I first realized. After seeing the no-look alleyoop at the 1:35 mark of the above video, I now realize that Bertans actually threw an alleyoop off the backboard at the 1:12 mark of the video. :wow

And both of those plays were in the guts of the game. I like that moxie.

Anyone European poster have any scouting report on Bertans (Bruno?) or know how he's regarded as a prospect? I know he was on the Celtics summer league team last year but his Euro stats aren't super impressive. Looks like a pretty good three-point shooter (37-38%) but doesn't really stand out in any other aspect over in Spain.

Given what we saw in Game 1, he looked like a legit candidate for a roster spot.

cd021
07-07-2015, 03:59 AM

Kind of though the same.

timvp
07-07-2015, 04:01 AM
One game in, LJC reminds me of Bo Outlaw. And that's not a bad thing.

cd021
07-07-2015, 04:09 AM
Haven't been able to watch the games but from the sound of it Lalanne and Bertans could have legit shot to make the roster. Bring Livio over now would be smart. This is the last season that the Spurs can pay him rookie scale (starts off at $918,000). All would be good, cheap adds for depth at guard, wing and a center.

kobyz
07-07-2015, 04:17 AM
LJC need to come this season, he could be great practice tool for Kawhi and the rest of the guys with his defense...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-07-2015, 04:18 AM
Nice rundown, Cloud786. :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-07-2015, 04:23 AM
Haven't been able to watch the games but from the sound of it Lalanne and Bertans could have legit shot to make the roster. Bring Livio over now would be smart. This is the last season that the Spurs can pay him rookie scale (starts off at $918,000). All would be good, cheap adds for depth at guard, wing and a center.

Certainly fits into the roster as currently composed.

BillMc
07-07-2015, 04:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_87HC_Ki06Y

Man, Bertans is even more badass than I first realized. After seeing the no-look alleyoop at the 1:35 mark of the above video, I now realize that Bertans actually threw an alleyoop off the backboard at the 1:12 mark of the video. :wow

And both of those plays were in the guts of the game. I like that moxie.

Anyone European poster have any scouting report on Bertans (Bruno (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2449)?) or know how he's regarded as a prospect? I know he was on the Celtics summer league team last year but his Euro stats aren't super impressive. Looks like a pretty good three-point shooter (37-38%) but doesn't really stand out in any other aspect over in Spain.

Given what we saw in Game 1, he looked like a legit candidate for a roster spot.

Most of the stuff I have read is on his brother. Here's an English language article from Latvia, not too much detail. The key is his stats are on the rise. He might be just hitting his prime and his prime may (key word may) be NBA worthy.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_WI0u,B3DGtkbYppl6GwCd1.startAt_58.coid_mSZ,UnN jILA6LpT2LtVVu0.articleMode_on.html

LATVIA CAN RELY ON CONFIDENT BERTANS

08 April 2015
FEATURE

http://www.fibaeurope.com/files/%7B5949FFCD-C8EE-440E-A5E7-AA549514A890%7Dbig_v.jpg

Dairis Bertans is looking forward to competing at EuroBasket 2015 with Latvia

By Dimitris Kontos
This time of year, the start of the business end of the season, is typically a period of uncertainty for players on every team with play-off aspirations. Not for players like Dairis Bertans (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/cid_FaTi64YyIbQDnvc3JDbil1.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOr Uf9le2.roundID_9318.season_2015.teamID_2134.player ID_53173.html) though.
The Latvian international of Dominion Bilbao Basketoozes with self-confidence and inspires that rare feeling, especially at this stage where teams' entire campaigns are at stake, of somebody who has everything under control.
That is mainly due to the fact that Bertans is very content with both his personal performance and with his team's situation, a combination which does wonders for the state of mind of every self-respecting professional athlete.
Bilbao are in fourth spot in the Liga Endesa standings and have virtually secured a play-off berth after finishing in 13th place last season, nearly losing their league licence in the summer and overcoming significant financial woes.
The 25-year-old guard has played an instrumental role in that rebirth, despite missing nine games during the season because of a hamstring injury.
Bertans is averaging 13.1 points on a team-best 42% shooting from three-point range, 1.4 assists and 1.3 rebounds per game, having improved in every stat category compared to his first year in Spain, which was also his first outside Latvia.
"If we don't look at those games that I missed during my injury, which was not too serious an injury anyway but it was just bothersome and I had to just keep going without thinking about it, I am really enjoying myself this year," the Latvian sharp-shooter told fibaeurope.com
"It's easy to play with coach [B]Sito Alonso, I understand perfectly the systems, I understand my role, it makes everything easier.
"Almost everything has changed from last year, we're only four guys left from that roster, the coach changed, a lot of things.
"Before, I used to think that it is not so important who the coach is, but now I've seen that it really changes a lot in a team.
"And with this coach we're playing really good."

EUROBASKET IN SOLD-OUT RIGA ARENA
Beyond stating in no uncertain terms that collaborating with one of the most promising Spanish coaches, in Alonso, has been beneficial to both him and the team, the confident Bertans has clear ideas about several other subjects.
For example, he is certain of where he is going to be and what he is going to be doing next September, the month of his 26th birthday.
"For sure I will play at the EuroBasket (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/)," the Latvian international asserted.
"If nothing bad happens and I stay healthy, for sure I will be there.
"Especially because it's at home and it's a great occasion for us."
Latvia (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/cid_FaTi64YyIbQDnvc3JDbil1.teamID_2134.compID_qMRZ dYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_9322.html) host Group D in Riga and will go up against Belgium, the Czech Republic, Ukraine as well as neighbours Estonia and Lithuania.
"If you look at the teams it seems ok, for sure you cannot say that it's the toughest group possible," Bertans commented.
"But we have to remember that everybody can play basketball now and all teams are dangerous.
"Probably we will have a little bit more pressure at home, because we are playing against these kind of mid-level teams and not against the very top European powers, so it's going to be tough for sure."
Playing at home against opponents which the local crowd consider accessible. It sounds like the fans could very well demand Latvia challenge for first place in Group D.
"Of course [they do]," Bertans replies without hesitation.
"Our expectations are high and we play at home.
"All tickets are sold already, we will play in front of a packed arena in Riga, so it cannot be otherwise."
Bertans is fully receptive to Latvian fans' expectations, but that doesn't mean he is concerned with playing to the gallery and make big promises.
"We don't want to think too much where we want to end the championship," he clarified.
"We just have to go game by game and try to look at each game separately.
"We'll fight to win every game and we'll see [where it takes us].

http://www.fibaeurope.com/files/%7B6FDC6B04-E1D4-424A-92DD-815F26E3E811%7Dbig_h.jpg

Dairis Bertans and Latvia will go head-to-head with rivals Lithuania

"Obviously the first goal is to go to the knock-out stage and from then on it depends on who we play against."

REVENGE, WHAT REVENGE?
Bertans is mature beyond his years and as street-wise as they come in terms of national team competitions, having been a Latvian international since 2005 and having participated in the past two EuroBasket tournaments.
It is more than enough baggage to comprehend that the Group D opener against Belgium is not a special encounter because of the heart-breaking loss of two years ago, which cost Latvia a place in the quarter-finals of EuroBasket in Slovenia.
There will be no bickering with Bilbao team-mate Axel Hervelle (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/cid_FaTi64YyIbQDnvc3JDbil1.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOr Uf9le2.roundID_9318.season_2015.teamID_245.playerI D_30452.html), no revenge vows. If this clash holds any special significance, that's only because it's always preferable to start a tournament on the right foot.
"It's the first game of the tournament and obviously we want to beat them," Bertans said.
"But, you know, it's not going to be decisive, so we don't have to focus on that game or remember that because of Belgium we didn't make it to the quarter-finals at the last EuroBasket.
"We just have to focus on our play, focus on winning a game, and that's it."
Bertans implies the same approach applies to the clash all fans in Riga are eagerly awaiting, the Baltic derby with EuroBasket 2013 (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.season_2013.compID_qMRZ dYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.html) silver medallists Lithuania.
"When you start thinking like this, whether it's better to lose to this team or win that team, it never works out well," he warned.
"So you just go game by game and you try to win all you can."

THE DAVIS EQUATION
The Bertans brothers are far from a unique case in European basketball, but this year was special to them.
It started in the best way possible in the summer when the younger, Davis (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOr Uf9le2.roundID_8721.season_2013.teamID_2134.player ID_71637.html), signed for Laboral Kutxa Baskonia.
It meant that after spending the last years playing in different countries and rarely meeting during the season, Dairis and Davis would finally be based in the nearby cities of Bilbao and Vitoria, respectively.
"From the point of view of having him [Davis] so close, this year is really nice," Dairis said.
"We are a 40-minute drive away and we go see each other whenever we have free time, so basically a couple of times each week.
"That part is really great."
The proximity also brought with it an unforeseen level of media attention when the Bertanses became the first brothers to line up against each other in the big Basque derby, between Bilbao and Baskonia.
Dairis, who by now can handle the media in Spanish just fine, playfully took on the role of family spokesperson and was certainly the only Bilbao player in history to be welcomed as a fan to Vitoria's Buesa arena, as he habitually watched his brother from the stands in Baskonia's home games in the Euroleague.
And then at the blink of an eye, it went sour at the end of March, when Davis tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee during Baskonia's game at EA7 Emporio Armani Milano.
He has been there before, when he was playing for Partizan Belgrade. He will once again have to brave his way out of a six-month rehabilitation process.
The confident Dairis Bertans however is also certain about one more thing. He is hopeful his younger brother will emerge from this discouraging deja-vu experience as strong as ever.
"Obviously it's hard that he got injured again, but he's a tough guy," the Bilbao player said.
"He is staying positive and he is trying to not complain or anything like that.
"He's going to be good."
When a professional player sees someone as close as their own brother suffer another serious injury within a still young career, does it make them doubt a little? Does it, even subconsciously, send the message that one needs to hold back a bit, play somewhat more conservatively?
"I never think like that," Bertans replied swiftly.
"When you go out on the court you don't think about those things at all.
"You just try to play your best, to do everything possible.
"From then on, things like that can happen, that's the bad part of professional sports."

ceperez
07-07-2015, 05:38 AM
It has been a while since I saw livio play the last time... His defense and athleticism are there, that's the most important. Happy for the kid tbh

That's the good thing, he hasn't lost the athleticism after the injury.

I'm impressed seeing his defense, I didn't think he was that type of a player.

Nathan89
07-07-2015, 05:40 AM
Can LJC guard the SF position? Can his lack of offense be overcome if he's playing with two shooting big men?

MoSpur
07-07-2015, 05:42 AM
Its been a minute since I read some Game Thoughts. Good to have that back. Not too sure what to make of this first game except that I was disappointed by Anderson since I figured he would want to show he's ready to be a regular contributor this upcoming season. There's that and Cady surprised me. He looked like he wasn't afraid or intimidated by Okafor.

ceperez
07-07-2015, 05:48 AM
LJC need to come this season, he could be great practice tool for Kawhi and the rest of the guys with his defense...

Got to bring some young guys in so they can learn from the greats while they are still around.

Lalanne can learn a lot on how Duncan uses his length.
Spurs absolutely need someone like Livio at the SF to back up Leonard. If Livio gets better on his defense, he'll be a real pest for LeBron or Durant.

Bruno
07-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Dairis Bertans was never seen as some kind of great prospect when he was young. Being a 6'4" SG without crazy athleticism and being in a low exposure country surely hasn't helped his case.

He revealed himself at the 2013 Eurobasket especially against France (with Parker, Diaw, Batum...) when he scored 28 points. He looked fearless in that game and displayed some great shooting and offensive aggressiveness. I haven't seen him playing in Spain but he has had 2 solid statistical years with a good team.

We will see what he will do in the rest of the SL. If he continues to play like that, he could be another Gary Neal. If Pop/RC is looking to add a pure shooter/scorer at the SG spot, Dairis Bertans might do the trick. It will likely take a fully guaranteed minimum contract to get him. From what I've read, he is still under contract for one year with his team in Spain and has a small buyout (200K€, about $220K).

timvp
07-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Dairis Bertans was never seen as some kind of great prospect when he was young. Being a 6'4" SG without crazy athleticism and being in a low exposure country surely hasn't helped his case.

He revealed himself at the 2013 Eurobasket especially against France (with Parker, Diaw, Batum...) when he scored 28 points. He looked fearless in that game and displayed some great shooting and offensive aggressiveness. I haven't seen him playing in Spain but he has had 2 solid statistical years with a good team.

We will see what he will do in the rest of the SL. If he continues to play like that, he could be another Gary Neal. If Pop/RC is looking to add a pure shooter/scorer at the SG spot, Dairis Bertans might do the trick. It will likely take a fully guaranteed minimum contract to get him. From what I've read, he is still under contract for one year with his team in Spain and has a small buyout (200K€, about $220K).

Great info, thanks :tu

Chinook
07-07-2015, 08:07 AM
The main issue with Bertans is that Mills is there and Manu is too old to have multiple players who are dependent on Manu's passing (because they can't play their own positions) on the roster. I like what I've seen from him, don't get me wrong, but the Spurs don't need another Neal. They need two separate players: one to be the third-string SG who can sort of defend his position (like Beli :lol) and another third-string PG who can actually run an offense.

daledondale
07-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the analysis, Sir timvp!

AFBlue
07-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Awesome to see timvp with the goods!

Jean-Charles needs serious player development in SA. His hands are almost Nazr Mohammedesque, so there may not be much the Spurs can do about that...which is a shame because of all the dribble-penetration drop-offs and putback opportunities that he will be missing out on.

One thing about Kyle that I like is that he doesn't ever stop trying to rebound the basketball. He just might lead the Spurs' SL squad this summer.

Agree about LJC's hands, but hopefully it's something he can improve. I had flashes of Ayres in the first few minutes tbqh. Then he started to defend. And I forgot about his stone hands.

ceperez
07-07-2015, 08:30 AM

He's 6'4", but if Cavs seem to be effective with a guy like Delevedova then Bertans may be a good cheap guard to have on the roster. He definitely can't be left alone on the 3 point line and that's really the key here. Fearlessness is the other intangible that you can't discount, lots of talented players out there, but few willing to step up during crunch time.

Fingers crossed that he makes the team.

Solid D
07-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Darion Atkins

He was looking at his fingers because there was blood on them. He had been busted in the mouth and was bleeding. That may not be why he air-balled but that was why he was looking at his fingers.

ceperez
07-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Agree about LJC's hands, but hopefully it's something he can improve. I had flashes of Ayres in the first few minutes tbqh. Then he started to defend. And I forgot about his stone hands.

His defense looks top notch, got a quick jump keeps both arms in the air, doesn't swat the basketball out of the court.

He also has presence of mind to pass the ball out while in traffic, he assisted on one of those plays.

I really don't even care if he has an offensive game at all. There are so many scoring options for the Spurs right now. Spurs just need to plug the hole in defense during small ball. West could become a liability with small ball and a guy like LJC compensates for this.

Imagine this all defensive jaugernaut:

Green
Leonard
LJC
Aldridge
Duncan

I would be surprised if the Warriors can even score 20 points in a quarter against this team.

ceperez
07-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Going out on a limb here... but if LJC guarded Kawai Leonard, Leonard would be really hard pressed to score. The length and quickness would give Leonard fits.

raybies
07-07-2015, 08:39 AM
I expect them to play Bertans at the PG spot more to see if he can handle it. My first impression was that he's a worse ball handler than Neal, but somewhere around Patty. Maybe a little worse.

raybies
07-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Going out on a limb here... but if LJC guarded Kawai Leonard, Leonard would be really hard pressed to score. The length and quickness would give Leonard fits.

agreed. Unless Leonard has seen the light, I could see him having trouble as well.

silverblackfan
07-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Nice write-ups and comments on this thread. Unusual, but nice to read. Real basketball takes, huh...

I really liked LJC's energy and focus on the defense. Given the offensive upgrades this year, another serious defender to spell KL or DG would be welcome off the bench. Keep the opponents frustrated.

Anderson has been disappointing, but I still like his demeaner and ability to get some pretty good looks for the other guys. I am trying to keep in mind that he is the experienced guy out there and pretty much responsible for getting all these new guys to run on the same page. It might be a real difference when he runs with a team that already knows where to be at all times. He is still intriguing, but is deceptively slow in movement. It is really jarring to watch, but seems to affect the defenders around him at times too. Really hope he improves as the games go on.

Cady LeLane has a nice stroke and good motor. That is looking like a good last pick in the draft. The upside is tantalizing.

Chinook
07-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Something I haven't seem talked about with Cady and LJC is that they seemed to play physical defend on their guys. Wingstop and even Splitter are finesse defenders, who can use their length to disrupt dribbles, passing lanes and shots. Livio and LaLanne were getting into the bodies of their men. Cady was trying to talk trash. Livio was in his man's jersey.

It would be interesting to have a physical defender to rotate on Lebron and Durant. It would make it a lot harder for them to get used to.

Brazil
07-07-2015, 09:04 AM
That's the good thing, he hasn't lost the athleticism after the injury.

I'm impressed seeing his defense, I didn't think he was that type of a player.

In fact he is a versatile combo forward but more known for his offense than defense untill recently. He was lacking some weight to be a good defender, he is now at 230 lb if what I read is correct which should be ok. He has the tools to be solid in defense on both PF and SF, he is rather quick, has good lenghth can crash boards and blocks. He plays for ASVEL the team of Parker, he focused more on defense lately to be able to crack spurs rotation that won't give him a spot for his offense.

Russ
07-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Dairis Bertans
But if he can keep hitting shots, don't be surprised if he gets at least an invite to training camp, especially since the Spurs need guard depth and shooting depth.

If he keeps hitting his shots, he may not make it to training camp -- the Spurs may have to pull the trigger on him (or not) ala Gary Neal.

The fact that he's a Spurs "discovery" won't not help -- other teams will be eager to believe in him with the slightest of reason.

ceperez
07-07-2015, 09:12 AM
In fact he is a versatile combo forward but more known for his offense than defense untill recently. He was lacking some weight to be a good defender, he is now at 230 lb if what I read is correct which should be ok. He has the tools to be solid in defense on both PF and SF, he is rather quick, has good lenghth can crash boards and blocks. He plays for ASVEL the team of Parker, he focused more on defense lately to be able to crack spurs rotation that won't give him a spot for his offense.

The crazy thing about LJC is that the Spurs have assigned a personal coach on him after he was drafted.

Could be the reason for his incredibly advanced defensive play. The Spurs don't need him to score, with Parker, Aldridge, Duncan, Leonard, West, Green, Mills and Ginobili, there's not enough touches to contemplate scoring except on a broken play. I don't expect him to ever touch the ball on offense except to pass the ball or grab the offensive rebound.

BillMc
07-07-2015, 09:13 AM
The crazy thing about LJC is that the Spurs have assigned a personal coach on him after he was drafted.

Could be the reason for his incredibly advanced defensive play. The Spurs don't need him to score, with Parker, Aldridge, Duncan, Leonard, West, Green, Mills and Ginobili, there's not enough touches to contemplate scoring except on a broken play. I don't expect him to ever touch the ball on offense except to pass the ball or grab the offensive rebound.

This

silverblackfan
07-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Bertans was experienced against the Summer League guys and it shows, but his is not very athletic. Sweet quick release, but having dribble out of a focused defense reminds me of Danny Green's first few years here. Awkward and tentative. Dairis has a very sweet shot though and is taller than Neal ever could be...

cd98
07-07-2015, 09:15 AM

You're right the Spurs don't need him to score, but he has to be a threat to score. He won't get minutes if teams don't guard him.

spurs10
07-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Thanks timvp and all for the insight! Hope we find some young prospects for depth.

raybies
07-07-2015, 09:19 AM
You're right the Spurs don't need him to score, but he has to be a threat to score. He won't get minutes if teams don't guard him.
If he played with the second unit, Boris could play the three and West could play the 4. He would play the 5. All he would have to do is cleanup around the rim.

Russ
07-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Dairis Bertans

Kyle Anderson

Is it time to worry? I'm a big believer in KA but what concerns me is not his lack of quickness or lack of defense.

It's his lack of aggression. Is he apathetic or does he just lack confidence -- either way, it needs to change.

I think we can forget about his defense for now -- I don't think it's that bad and, anyway, his strength is offense. If that doesn't improve, we never even get to his defense.

For some reason, I still think he'll break out. But it's time to do it.

AFBlue
07-07-2015, 09:35 AM
One other guy that I thought played well and hasn't received a mention is Treveon Graham. He hit a nice baseline jumper, had a sweet behind-the-back dish in transition and played solid D. I hope he gets more minutes at the wing because his early returns were solid, if unspectacular.

AFBlue
07-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Is it time to worry? I'm a big believer in KA but what concerns me is not his lack of quickness or lack of defense.

It's his lack of aggression. Is he apathetic or does he just lack confidence -- either way, it needs to change.

I think we can forget about his defense for now -- I don't think it's that bad and, anyway, his strength is offense. If that doesn't improve, we never even get to his defense.

One thing I noticed was that he didn't make quick decisions with the ball. Moving slowly is one problem, but reacting slowly is another. I like that he takes an intelligent and methodical approach to the game, but he has to learn to react faster at the next level with quicker athletes that can recover from mistakes.

Dex
07-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Darion Atkins

He was looking at the blood that was coming from his split lip after getting popped in the mouth with no foul called. I'll excuse him for that play.

There wasn't much to excuse the rest of his game, though.

will_spurs
07-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. Both timvp and Bruno sightings in one thread :wow

Good news about Livio, I'd rather have him be a great defender. Hopefully he can contribute asap.

benefactor
07-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Bertans was experienced against the Summer League guys and it shows, but his is not very athletic. Sweet quick release, but having dribble out of a focused defense reminds me of Danny Green's first few years here. Awkward and tentative. Dairis has a very sweet shot though and is taller than Neal ever could be...
They are almost exactly the same size.

I agree with Chinook about Bertans. He and Patty would be redundant. Spurs really need another true SG...not another SG in a PG's body.

lmbebo
07-07-2015, 10:04 AM
bertans looked great. He may be worth bringing over. At least a TC invite.

Is he exactly what we need? No. But for an end of the bench guy and primary needs, its hard to be picky

ceperez
07-07-2015, 10:05 AM

Summer League game... I don't expect a player like KA to do well playing with some random guys on a some random offense.

He will be servicable.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Cady Lalanne

The officiating was awful. The whistles were flying free. Lalanne got called for fouls on a couple of clean blocks and at least once where he didn't touch anyone.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2015, 10:10 AM

His defense looked really good because he plays it with his feet. He drew several charges that were all called blocks, but he took the contact right in the chest every time. He also had one layup through contact going to his left that was quite Manuesque.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2015, 10:10 AM

His defense looked really good because he plays it with his feet. He drew several charges that were all called blocks, but he took the contact right in the chest every time. He also had one layup through contact going to his left that was quite Manuesque.

GSH
07-07-2015, 10:11 AM
With the game speeding up around the league, I hate reading things like "slow with his lateral movement" (Lalanne), "below average athlete" (Bertans), and "his normal slow speed" (Anderson). I guess it's always been the case that guys with less athleticism have to be the over-achiever type, with high basketball IQ's. Anderson is probably the most disappointing. He's got enough NBA experience under his belt that he should have been looking to stand out in the SL. Hopefully it was just a fluke and he'll step his game up. The Spurs are looking for guys to make a Championship push, even if it's small minutes. Adequate in Summer League isn't going to get it done.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Summer League game... I don't expect a player like KA to do well playing with some random guys on a some random offense.

He will be servicable.

He played alongside, and against, a bunch of guys, the majority of whom will never play on an NBA team, and he was one of the worst players there despite getting the most PT. If he can't play any better than that with random guys, then he won't even get a ticket to Austin.

cd021
07-07-2015, 10:22 AM
I expect them to play Bertans at the PG spot more to see if he can handle it. My first impression was that he's a worse ball handler than Neal, but somewhere around Patty. Maybe a little worse.

Can he shoot off the dribble? Haven't had a chance to watch him yet.

ceperez
07-07-2015, 10:25 AM
With the game speeding up around the league, I hate reading things like "slow with his lateral movement" (Lalanne), "below average athlete" (Bertans), and "his normal slow speed" (Anderson). I guess it's always been the case that guys with less athleticism have to be the over-achiever type, with high basketball IQ's. Anderson is probably the most disappointing. He's got enough NBA experience under his belt that he should have been looking to stand out in the SL. Hopefully it was just a fluke and he'll step his game up. The Spurs are looking for guys to make a Championship push, even if it's small minutes. Adequate in Summer League isn't going to get it done.

I was kind of hoping that KA would exhibit the same kind of poise as Bertans... not athletic but with a more precise game. A bit disappointed but I think he'll do well enough.

SnakeBoy
07-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Offensively, KA opened the game with a decisive move and easily got to the rim for a lay up. After that he took on the role of distributor and showed some nice passing skills. I don't find that concerning since Pop was asked last year if they wanted KA to be more aggressive shooting the ball and he said No they wanted him to focus on learning the system and doing it the right way. It was the 2nd half where KA was disappointing on offense. His shot wasn't falling and he became hesitant even when he had an open look. There was one play where he had an open 3 and he hesitated, pump faked, and then dished the ball off that was reminiscent of a play last season where he did the same thing and immediately Pop pulled him.

Defensively I was actually pleased with KA early in the game. He stayed in front of his man and moved his feet but as the game wore on he became flat footed and started letting him man go by him while trying to reach in for a steal, which never worked. I think this is more of a strength and conditioning issue that can be overcome. KA talked about it in an article prior to the start of SL...

The Spurs already know Anderson is a precise passer who can rebound and score. Becoming a better defender, however, is vital to Anderson earning consistent minutes during his second NBA season.

"I'm working hard on the defensive end, trying to get my legs stronger and being able to play in a stance at all times," Anderson said. "That's what good defenders do. That's what good athletes do. They're able to stay low and play in a stance for long periods of time."

I was really just watching to see how KA looked but Cady really stood out. Very raw talent but looks to have a lot of potential. I'm not seeing what is impressing so many with LJC. No offense, bad hands, no handles, pretty much how I would describe Jeff Ayres.

Brazil
07-07-2015, 02:12 PM

this is exactly why he is focusing so much on defense while his primary strength is offense as shown during the 2013 nike hoop

it seems also Parker through ASVEL is following the kid and his development

TheDoctor
07-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Dairis Bertans

Dairis played really well. He reminds me of Beno.

Livio Jean-Charles
3-for-11 from the field

Now, if LJC can replicate something similar to those numbers from game to game, he would be a nice grab. Needed depth at SF. With all the fire-power the Spurs will have, he won't be shooting all that much either.

Chinook
07-07-2015, 02:44 PM
it seems also Parker through ASVEL is following the kid and his development

And influencing it, as evidenced by LJC chucking up bad shots.

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to say LJC was slanted toward offense a couple years ago. Maybe he was, but he stood out in the NHS because of his defense (especially before the televised game). Dude had a block party on guys who were drafted ahead of him like Parker, Embiid, Exum, the Harrison twins. It's easy to forget that most of his 20 points in the game came from broken plays and transition baskets. He's definitely worked on his body, it seems, but I don't know that he's changed his game that much.

ceperez
07-07-2015, 02:52 PM

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to say LJC was slanted toward offense a couple years ago. Maybe he was, but he stood out in the NHS because of his defense (especially before the televised game). Dude had a block party on guys who were drafted ahead of him like Parker, Embiid, Exum, the Harrison twins. It's easy to forget that most of his 20 points in the game came from broken plays and transition baskets. He's definitely worked on his body, it seems, but I don't know that he's changed his game that much.

So basically his a defensive specialist that scores on broken plays and transition backets. That's good enough for the Spurs right now.

This guy can be a monster if he starts roaming around on defense.

With KA now really showing he can contribute on the court, the Spurs will need someone else to eat up minutes.

Chinook
07-07-2015, 03:11 PM
With Manu coming back, Anderson can spend another year in Austin or nailed to the bench. Having a defender/rebounder would be a bigger need.

2centsworth
07-07-2015, 03:14 PM
One game in, LJC reminds me of Bo Outlaw. And that's not a bad thing.
Bo was more coordinated, but LJC has more athletic ability. Plus, Bo was way stronger than he looked. He used to give Shaq fits.

picnroll
07-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Utah's center played a pretty good game. Hopefully we'll see LJC on him tonight.

ceperez
07-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Utah's center played a pretty good game. Hopefully we'll see LJC on him tonight.

I think you're over extending what LJC and do... he's not a center stopper... more like a guy who helps on defense. He just happened to stuff Okafar twice last night.

Brazil
07-07-2015, 03:24 PM

:rolleyes

As I said he is a combo forward working on both side of the floor, I'm just saying he was primary more "hyped" about his offense than defense. It is clear he is working more on the defensive side lately.

ElNono
07-07-2015, 03:46 PM
:rolleyes

Yeah, not subtle enough

Brazil
07-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Yeah, not subtle enough

yup... he is a young padawan compared to you

Teach him you should tbh