PDA

View Full Version : Which outcome, to you, was the most disappointing/unfortunate in the TD era to date?

UNT Eagles 2016
07-07-2015, 03:37 AM
I would have to go with the foul... that was such an epic series, pretty one sided though but we battled back...we should have won... one of the reasons I'm not such a big Dirk fan, tbh...that was an extremely sissy call so late in a pivotal playoff game, especially if you're not going to call the Ray Allen foul on Manu or the blatant Ron Artest push-off on Jason Richardson. Game 6 the conspiracy is close behind...we had a 20 game winning streak, seemed to be the rebirth of the Spurs...everything was going our way, and then.... like... what happened? We went up by 20, the refs happened, it all happened early in the summer following my junior year of HS, and the ensuing tantrum cost me my bedroom door that my nice supportive grandma paid a guy for to come fix against the will of my conniving mother who doesn't understand sports like we do. Also games 5 and 6 gave me a permanent (benign but cumbersome) cyst on my left thyroid.

cutewizard
07-07-2015, 03:44 AM
Wow, a programmer!

welcome aboard!

cutewizard
07-07-2015, 03:44 AM
im trying to learn Linux, hehehehehe

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-07-2015, 03:48 AM
Same here, the Dirk foul in 2006 was the worst one for me too, since I am convinced that the Spurs would have steamrolled Miami in the Finals and finally would have been able to repeat as champions...And just like you, slightly behind was the backdoor sweep at the hands of the Thunder in 2012...

I didn't watch Game 6 against the Thunder in 2012 because Harden's dagger in Game 5 was the final nail in the coffin for me for the season, which was the same feeling that I had with Ray Allen's shot in Game 6 in 2013 as I just couldn't watch the Spurs lose in Game 7...

UNT Eagles 2016
07-07-2015, 03:51 AM
Wow, a programmer!

welcome aboard!
Yep, thanks! I had a different account around 2009-2011 range (the dark years of the Spurs) but I was sort of a juvenile high school kid. Let's say I was picked on by pretty much everyone here at the time. :p:

And yes, I do like to program. I'm thankful that UNT's business college offers programming as part of its BCIS major/track (even though I'm technically a DSCI major because I wanted the statistics). Mine is basically a dual degree in business statistics and business computer science, rather than many other schools such as UT Austin where you either have to major in computer science (which is hard as hell because of the insane upper math and physics requirements) or else "Management Info Systems" which isn't worth shit because it teaches no technical skills.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-07-2015, 04:03 AM
Same here, the Dirk foul in 2006 was the worst one for me too, since I am convinced that the Spurs would have steamrolled Miami in the Finals and finally would have been able to repeat as champions...And just like you, slightly behind was the backdoor sweep at the hands of the Thunder in 2012...

I didn't watch Game 6 against the Thunder in 2012 because Harden's dagger in Game 5 was the final nail in the coffin for me for the season, which was the same feeling that I had with Ray Allen's shot in Game 6 in 2013 as I just couldn't watch the Spurs lose in Game 7...
Trust me, I felt that way after game 5... Tim was great and Manu tried to save us (had like near 40) but it wasn't enough with Parker crapping the bed and the defense unable to hold off that ridiculously stacked team... (to me keeping Draymond versus trading Harden is the difference between a good owner and a cheap one)... but even after that game, I still held some hope that we would rise up one final time, just like the Fenix, and take game 6 in OKC and game 7 back home. By the way, I kicked in the door after game 5. But I think it was game 6 that I screamed so loudly that I gave myself the cyst on my neck that hasn't gone away to date. I screamed "I wish Joey Crawford gets cancer!" about a million times which was morbidly ironic because the ref that missed that game (Willard?) ended up dying fairly young of cancer soon thereafter.

To me, the horror of 2012 made 2013 easier to stomach. Also, 2013 was the end of my childhood in a way, because that was the year I graduated high school (valedictorian, huge school). In fact, I expected to lose against Miami from the outset... I just wish we didn't get so damn close and blow it! That summer I seriously stopped caring about the Spurs, tore up all my Spurs posters and stuff and looked forward to college. (I started college as a sophomore due to AP/dual credits.) Since I live in Denton, North Texas now, the Mavs series was quite awkward on my campus, but needless to say the game 7 watch party in the super pit coliseum was empty by the middle of the 2nd quarter. I came back for the summer in early May and got to be at home to watch us win the title in 2014 and go to the parade and everything. It was awesome, but probably the 2nd least favorite of the championships for me, only better than 2007 (unpopular opinion?) because, like 2007, it seemed so expected at the end. The best part of the 2014 run for me was watching and celebrating the game 6 OKC redemption overtime win at Bud Jones's.

cutewizard
07-07-2015, 04:12 AM
A pleasure to meet you Dear Sir UNT Eagles 2016! I have a lot of respect for programmers!

Any thoughts on Linux? Of course, this topic is beyond the Spurs, but hey we are all in an ecstatic mood today......

UNT Eagles 2016
07-07-2015, 04:18 AM
A pleasure to meet you Dear Sir UNT Eagles 2016! I have a lot of respect for programmers!

Any thoughts on Linux? Of course, this topic is beyond the Spurs, but hey we are all in an ecstatic mood today......

I don't have experience with that. I'm used to Windows, so that's that. Linux, however, is a brainchild of IBM. I aspire to work for IBM (if I become a MTMF finalist I'll land a $90k+ job in their suburban NY headquarters upon graduation from undergrad) so, by all means, use their products.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-07-2015, 04:31 AM
For me,

1. Six: I still can't believe we lost that game. In every other alternate reality we won that game. So many highly unlikely events conspired the Heat's way in that final minute… yeah, I still can't believe it.
2. The foul: I think you covered the reasons why pretty well.
3. 0.4s: this one hurts mostly because it was complete bullshit and we were cheated - there is no way Fisher got the shot off in .4 of the second. However, I think the Pistons might have beaten us in the Finals that year - they were a truly special team defensively, and Chauncey Billups was at his height.

spursparker9
07-07-2015, 04:34 AM
1 - Game 6 2013. 5 pts lead in 28 secs and I remembered that TNT Open Court had discussed before that 7 or 8 things have to occur successfully in order to lose that lead in 28 secs and all the 7 things happened. (missed FT, couldn't secure Def Reb, missed FT, couldn't secure Def Reb, Heat hit 3 pts etc etc) What are the odd that it happened tbh...and it happened.

2 - Game 7 2006. Most classic example of Manu gave and Manu took away. The big 3 were playing out of their mind the entire series (each avg around 25 pts) but somehow the Spurs were downed 3 - 1. Somehow managed to fight back to have a chance at a game 7 and the Spurs were down 20 at one point of the game. Finally took the 3 pts lead with a clutch Manu's 3 in the final minute but that stupid and-1 foul cause the game into OT where Timmy who was having an incredible game (40 pts) eventually cramped and Mavs won the game. Got to admit that Dirk was having an insane series and Pop eventually had to put Bowen on him. Just wow. Josh Howard was un-guardable too and Jason Terry was hitting clutch shots everywhere. Even Devin Harris played as well as Enrique or maybe even better. Was really happy that Mavs choked in the Finals and Miami won :lol

3 - Game 5 2004 - Didn't held much hope prior to the series as LAL added HOF Malone and Payton, not to mentioned that Prime Shaq and Kobe were still on the team too while D.Rob, Kerr and others had all retired. At that time, I don't think there is even a big 3 in the team as Enrique was in his 3rd season and Manu in his 2nd. Surprisingly, Enrique's speed killed the Lakers in game 1 and 2 but Phil Jackson adjusted and they evened the series coming into game 5. Spurs were down and were playing catch-up the entire game 5. Timmy's miracle shot over Shaq was crazy and it was nice seeing the entire team ran up to Timmy and hugged, grabbed him all that. [I don't remember seeing this kind of celebration ever since(not counting winning championship)]
Then the 0.4 nightmare came as Fisher hit that impossible shot. I thought the ball will be going to be passed to Kobe for sure and Fisher hit the game-winner. Really sucked the life out of me to see the Spurs lost like that.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-07-2015, 06:01 AM
1 - Game 6 2013. 5 pts lead in 28 secs and I remembered that TNT Open Court had discussed before that 7 or 8 things have to occur successfully in order to lose that lead in 28 secs and all the 7 things happened. (missed FT, couldn't secure Def Reb, missed FT, couldn't secure Def Reb, Heat hit 3 pts etc etc) What are the odd that it happened tbh...and it happened.

2 - Game 7 2006. Most classic example of Manu gave and Manu took away. The big 3 were playing out of their mind the entire series (each avg around 25 pts) but somehow the Spurs were downed 3 - 1. Somehow managed to fight back to have a chance at a game 7 and the Spurs were down 20 at one point of the game. Finally took the 3 pts lead with a clutch Manu's 3 in the final minute but that stupid and-1 foul cause the game into OT where Timmy who was having an incredible game (40 pts) eventually cramped and Mavs won the game. Got to admit that Dirk was having an insane series and Pop eventually had to put Bowen on him. Just wow. Josh Howard was un-guardable too and Jason Terry was hitting clutch shots everywhere. Even Devin Harris played as well as Enrique or maybe even better. Was really happy that Mavs choked in the Finals and Miami won :lol

3 - Game 5 2004 - Didn't held much hope prior to the series as LAL added HOF Malone and Payton, not to mentioned that Prime Shaq and Kobe were still on the team too while D.Rob, Kerr and others had all retired. At that time, I don't think there is even a big 3 in the team as Enrique was in his 3rd season and Manu in his 2nd. Surprisingly, Enrique's speed killed the Lakers in game 1 and 2 but Phil Jackson adjusted and they evened the series coming into game 5. Spurs were down and were playing catch-up the entire game 5. Timmy's miracle shot over Shaq was crazy and it was nice seeing the entire team ran up to Timmy and hugged, grabbed him all that. [I don't remember seeing this kind of celebration ever since(not counting winning championship)]
Then the 0.4 nightmare came as Fisher hit that impossible shot. I thought the ball will be going to be passed to Kobe for sure and Fisher hit the game-winner. Really sucked the life out of me to see the Spurs lost like that.
Great analysis. Comments:

1. The comment about having 7 exact events having to happen consecutively at the end like that to come back from 5 down with the ball in 28 seconds is not quite correct; many other things could have happened, such as an inbounds steal and a dunk, another kind of turnover, an and-one, free throw miss, offensive rebound and 3, etc. Coming back to tie/win down 5 in such situations happens about 1/15 of the time or so -- it's not unheard-of. I remember earlier that year during the Nuggets' 26 game home win streak they saved it against some lousy team (Sixers IIRC) by coming back from down 5 with 12 seconds with a Corey Brewer three, a Sixers turnover and another Corey Brewer three to win. So it happens, just unlikely that it would happen in the finals when all the marbles are on the line.

2. The Spurs lost that series because of Pop's stupid decision to play smallball the entire series against a slow team that relied so heavily on 1-on-1. Should never have come down to that shot/foul scenario.

3. To me, Tim's "miracle shot" was sheer skill and greatness. If anything, the "lucky" shot came a few possessions earlier when Tim threw it off the glass, intentionally trying to miss and pursuing the rebound whilst avoiding Shaq who was coming over to block him and it took an unusual hard bounce off the front rim and into the basket. And not pressuring Payton the HOF passing point guard on the inbounds pass was borderline asylum-level retarded.

MeloHype
07-07-2015, 06:27 AM

will_spurs
07-07-2015, 06:45 AM
I'd rank them like this:

1. 2013 - nobody can be more heartbreaking than this. All the other choices still have a lot what ifs on the way to a potential ring. But this one... 28 seconds. Enough said.

2. 2006 - because it seemed so avoidable. But the NBA had decided Miami was going to win it all anyway.

3. 2012 - instead of one significant event, this one is notable because of the build-up over 4 games, the feeling of inescapable doom and the growing understanding that the fix was in. I guess we all know how Dallas fans felt during the 06 Finals.

4. 2004 - it was crappy for sure, but there was a possibility to win the series anyway.

spurspokesman
07-07-2015, 07:43 AM
2013. Having a championship in the bag and watching it fall out, kicking the hell out of them the following season helped ease my pain I must admit.

daledondale
07-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Nothing is even close to 6. It's a silly poll tbh.

hater
07-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Manus throaway game and its not even close

Dingle Barry
07-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Anyone not picking 6 is just being a contrarian. Reasonable minds cannot differ on this one. Poll should have been "Besides 6..."

ChumpDumper
07-07-2015, 09:52 AM
You waited for months to start this thread in the middle of the best offseason in Spurs history?

Keepin' it real
07-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Of course it was 6, followed by the foul, followed by Fischer. But here's the thing. Each one of those PAINFUL experiences led to a title the next season.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

I think Tim and Manu would have retired if they had beaten the big bad Heat in 2013. To make the Finals after a 6 year absence, to go out on top. I think they'd both be gone. Instead, 6 led to the greatest revenge in sports history.
If the foul hadn't happened, the Spurs would have likely 3-peated. With that 3-peat in his hip pocket, Tim may have retired after being swept by the Suns in 2010. He seemed broken, and what else would there have been to prove?

Psychologically, these torturous losses and the lack of a repeat/3-peat have kept Tim and the Spurs hungry all these years. With battle scars galore, Tim Duncan is the ultimate warrior, the Spurs are the ultimate team, and the NBA is about to get Spurred again in 2016!

vander
07-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Anyone not picking 6 is just being a contrarian. Reasonable minds cannot differ on this one. Poll should have been "Besides 6..."

it was the worst when it happened, but if only one could be undone, you wouldn't chose that one. it's part of 5 now, part of basketball legend

Obstructed_View
07-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Smallball. No foul in 2006 if not for smallball. No centerpiece, no Richard Jefferson. No Matt Bonner starting for two years. No first-round exit against Memphis. Okay, I'm extrapolating, but that was some terrible shit.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2015, 10:04 AM
So maybe, if I'm extrapolating, I should say "Nazr's three pointer". :)

kobyz
The clippers lose is underrated, people don't understand that we were one chris paul miss from a title, or even before, one regular season win against a knicks or a lakers team or any one of the many close games we lost, away from a title... And what made it even more hurt is if win title that could have be oportonity for Duncan to retire in the best way

pgardn
His injury.

Spurminator
07-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Can't pick anything before 2013, where one play directly lost a Championship for us. Beyond that, 0.4 still stings more than the others because it was to the 2004 Lakers, easily one of my most hated teams of all time. Phil, Shaq, Kobe, and a coat-tailing Karl Malone.

RD2191
07-07-2015, 10:08 AM
You waited for months to start this thread in the middle of the best offseason in Spurs history?
You're like the forum wife who wont quit bitching. Start a thread for once if you don't like the content, faggot.

soxxx
07-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Six will sting for eternity for me. I wanted to beat that Miami Heat team, the Miami Heat team that won 66 games, the Miami Heat team that won like 28 in a row, the Miami Heat team that had just added Ray Allen, the Miami Heat team every last person picked to win it all, the Heat team era in all its prime and glory.

Sure we got revenge, but the significance of that 2013 title would have been much larger than the 2014 title. The Spurs were about to pull the big upset and have there absolute shining moment, would have been 5-0 in the finals. The way the finals played in 2014 was not as climatic as it was when Manu was running up the court and Allen fouled him. The high at that point was off the charts, I didnt honestly think they were going to win it all year but when Manu got that rebound, it was like oh crap its happening....absolutely surreal. It was like when the Giants beat the undefeated Patsies......

Obstructed_View
07-07-2015, 10:15 AM
His injury.

But that was a sweet dunk on Scot Pollard.

BTW, someone needs to add Juwan's Foul to the list. That's probably number two for me after 2006.

ChumpDumper
07-07-2015, 10:21 AM
You're like the forum wife who wont quit bitching. Start a thread for once if you don't like the content, faggot.You're like the forum homosexual who won't quit bitching and at the same time can't break out of his third grade mentality.

Grow up, pal.

RD2191
07-07-2015, 10:22 AM
You're like the forum who won't quit bitching and at the same time can't break out of his third grade mentality.

Grow up, pal.
2/10

ChumpDumper
07-07-2015, 10:23 AM
2/10Better than anything you do.

Grow up.

RD2191
Better than anything you do.

Grow up.
1/10

pgardn
But that was a sweet dunk on Scot Pollard.

BTW, someone needs to add Juwan's Foul to the list. That's probably number two for me after 2006.

Mainly because It was Pollard.

ChumpDumper
07-07-2015, 10:25 AM
1/10Keep bitching, berto.

RD2191
07-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Keep bitching, berto.
0.5/10

ChumpDumper
07-07-2015, 10:27 AM
0.5/10Keep going. You know you have to.

RD2191
07-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Keep going. You know you have to.
:wakeup

Horry Hipcheck
07-07-2015, 10:48 AM
1. 6. Nothing could ever be worse, save for Duncan literally dying on the court. I don't know that any team will ever be so close to a title, only to let it slip away. I will never watch a video or replay of Allen's dagger. I could go my entire life, suffering misery after misery, and on my death bed I will still rank this moment No. 1.

2. The Foul. The first iteration of the Spurs "super team", where an offseason brings in some high profile veterans (Van Exel, Finley) to join the championship core, and those 63 wins going into the playoffs felt good. It felt like the Kings first round series ended and the Dallas series immediately began, and before anybody blinked the Spurs were down 3-1. Bruce Bowen had that season-saving block on Dirk to end Game 5, Finley had a monster dunk and headbutted the ball in a can't-believe-they-won-that Game 6, and then roared back from an early, lengthy deficit to tie Game 7 on Manu's three. For a few minutes, it felt like the Spurs were destined to come back in that series all along, and then there was The Foul. It was a heartbreaking loss, but also perhaps the absolute best chance the Spurs had at repeating as champions.

3. Point Four. This one remained agonizing for a long time, and has only faded recently because of the Spurs' rampant success since 2012 and the Lakers' hilarious decline into mediocrity. At the time, I remember being ecstatic that Timmy had somehow put that shot in over Shaq and on his way down. Fisher's shot, which only came after an unusually large amount of time dedicated to restarting and setting the clock, elicited a loud "FUCK." from my mother, and then nobody else said anything. It's in the past, and the Spurs have won 3 of their 5 titles since then, so the pain is mostly gone. It ranks this high purely for how devastating it was at the time, and how it will always be an iconic playoff moment.

RD2191
07-07-2015, 11:08 AM
1. 6. Nothing could ever be worse, save for Duncan literally dying on the court. I don't know that any team will ever be so close to a title, only to let it slip away. I will never watch a video or replay of Allen's dagger. I could go my entire life, suffering misery after misery, and on my death bed I will still rank this moment No. 1.

2. The Foul. The first iteration of the Spurs "super team", where an offseason brings in some high profile veterans (Van Exel, Finley) to join the championship core, and those 63 wins going into the playoffs felt good. It felt like the Kings first round series ended and the Dallas series immediately began, and before anybody blinked the Spurs were down 3-1. Bruce Bowen had that season-saving block on Dirk to end Game 5, Finley had a monster dunk and headbutted the ball in a can't-believe-they-won-that Game 6, and then roared back from an early, lengthy deficit to tie Game 7 on Manu's three. For a few minutes, it felt like the Spurs were destined to come back in that series all along, and then there was The Foul. It was a heartbreaking loss, but also perhaps the absolute best chance the Spurs had at repeating as champions.

3. Point Four. This one remained agonizing for a long time, and has only faded recently because of the Spurs' rampant success since 2012 and the Lakers' hilarious decline into mediocrity. At the time, I remember being ecstatic that Timmy had somehow put that shot in over Shaq and on his way down. Fisher's shot, which only came after an unusually large amount of time dedicated to restarting and setting the clock, elicited a loud "FUCK." from my mother, and then nobody else said anything. It's in the past, and the Spurs have won 3 of their 5 titles since then, so the pain is mostly gone. It ranks this high purely for how devastating it was at the time, and how it will always be an iconic playoff moment.
To this day I still haven't seen it.

K...
07-07-2015, 11:46 AM
The question was most disappointing not must heartbreaking. It's not six.

Six hurt, but it was a seven game series and Duncan had memorable moments. We got beat by hof quality players making amazing plays. I think it's Memphis. That was sad. No defense. Slow Duncan. Spurs were the worst kind of frontrunners them.

BillMc
07-07-2015, 11:52 AM
To this day I still haven't seen it.

You're lucky, my friend. They showed it on International League Pass at least twice a game during commercials in 2013-2014. That and LeBron blocking Splitter. Made me ill every game...

UNT Eagles 2016
07-07-2015, 11:59 AM

I was 10 when Fisher's .4 bullshit shot happened. It clearly shouldn't have counted. That was the night I went ballistic and tore down my grandma's bedroom closet light fixture. Gotta love my childhood.

Beaverfuzz
07-07-2015, 12:03 PM

Agreed, stupid topic.

Seventyniner
07-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Keep going. You know you have to.

It will never end.

Horry Hipcheck
07-07-2015, 01:21 PM
The question was most disappointing not must heartbreaking. It's not six.

Six hurt, but it was a seven game series and Duncan had memorable moments. We got beat by hof quality players making amazing plays. I think it's Memphis. That was sad. No defense. Slow Duncan. Spurs were the worst kind of frontrunners them.

Fair, but I'd contend that being 28 seconds from a title and blowing it, even to a team of HOFers, is pretty disappointing.

Phenomanul
07-07-2015, 02:02 PM

Every one of those tragic losses resulted in a trophy the following season... hoping that this season's demise will produce the same result next season... Given our offseason, things appear to be shaping up that way...

pgardn
07-07-2015, 03:34 PM

Washington Bullets v. SA Spurs

Spurs up 3-1 to go to their first championship. Lose 4-3. Horrible moving screen called on Billy Paultz after a James Silas jumper I believe. We had that series wrapped up.
Learn the history of the team you now root for.

There should be massive protests that this series was not added to the poll so we could find the posters that are about to enter nursing homes. Even if it was not in the TD era it must be added.

daledondale
07-07-2015, 04:56 PM

Spurs up 3-1 to go to their first championship. Lose 4-3. Horrible moving screen called on Billy Paultz after a James Silas jumper I believe. We had that series wrapped up.

There should be massive protests that this series was not added to the poll so we could find the posters that are about to enter nursing homes. Even if it was not in the TD era it must be added.
Thanks for the info. I'm Spurs fan since 2003 and didn't know about that. :flag:

UNT Eagles 2016
07-07-2015, 06:03 PM

Yeah, but I was like -15 years old when that happened... the original Twin Towers had just been built, Jimmy Carter just proved that he was a buffoon for not saving our Western-friendly regime in Iran, and my mother was 21 at the time and employed at a run-down nightclub in Pearsall, Tx. as a multi-employee working 16 hour shifts (manager by day, full body strip dancer by night)... rock 'n' roll led the pop charts, and social life was still good in America.