PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mayweather stripped off title won against Pacquiao

StrengthAndHonor
07-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Floyd Mayweather isn't frugal by any means (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2413437/Floyd-Mayweather-Inside-ridiculously-world-undefeated-prizefighter.html), but with dozens of world title belts scattered around his home, $200,000 was a bit much even for a boxer nicknamed "Money" to pay for a title belt.
Mayweather failed to pay the $200,000 sanction fee required by the World Boxing Organization for the belt he won on May 2 when he defeated Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas by the deadline, which was the end of the business day on Friday. So on Monday, the Puerto Rico-based organization stripped Mayweather of its title (http://www.wboboxing.com/resolution-to-vacate-wbo-title-of-floyd-mayweather/).
It elevated Timothy Bradley, who defeated Jessie Vargas (http://news.yahoo.com/tim-bradley-survives-weird-finish-beats-vargas-wbo-041646310.html) on June 27 for the interim championship, to full champion status.
WBO rules require boxers to pay 3 percent of their purse in order to fight for a world title, with a minimum of $1,000 and a maximum of $200,000 for fighters like Mayweather who earn extraordinary large purses.

Normally, fighters are required to pay the sanction fee on the night of the fight, and it's deducted from their purse. But Mayweather, who has had a long history with the WBC, wasn't sure he wanted the WBO title. As a result, the WBO gave Mayweather time.
Even though sanctioning bodies are routinely perceived as the bad guy in situations like this, the WBO conducted itself honorably. It worked with Mayweather to find an acceptable solution, put the requirements in writing and then yanked the belt from Mayweather when he failed to comply.
Both the WBO and the WBC have taken great steps forward in recent years, and have done much to clean up their end of the business.
The fact that the WBO stood firm and followed its rules is encouraging.
The loss of the title is no big deal to Mayweather, who is far bigger than any belt. And it's not as if the WBO is struggling. Pacquiao paid his sanction fee, and would have kept the belt had he won, so the WBO still made $200,000 on May 2 from that fight.
I'm not a big fan of stripping fighters of belts they've won in the ring. But if they refuse to defend it, or won't pay the agreed-upon fee to keep it, it's appropriate.
It kind of makes record-keeping messy -- Does anyone really think Bradley is the best 147-pounder in the world? -- and it's why there are so many four-, five- and six-time champions floating around.
Still, this is a situation in which everyone involved did the right thing.
That is a rarity in boxing, so kudos are deserved in this case.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/no-sanction-fee--no-wbo-title-for-floyd-mayweather-011247890.html

hater
07-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Lol dumb mkey

Technique
07-07-2015, 09:19 AM
He has enough money to make a new boxing organization and create his own belt

JamStone
07-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Doesn't change anything about the fight he clearly won.

And doesn't change his perception of being a dumbshit.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2015, 09:56 AM
If he doesn't give a shit about the belt, didn't he save 200k by not paying it?

And yeah, he clearly won the fight, so it doesn't have any bearing on the outcome.

Spur-Addict
07-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Irrelevant

Clipper Nation
07-07-2015, 10:06 AM
A certain Pinoy probably got all excited thinking Floyd got caught with PEDs or something. Imagine the disappointment that it's about him not paying some lame-ass belt fee :lol

Mitch
07-07-2015, 10:07 AM
He said he was planning to vacate the belts after decimating Pacquiao. Why would he bother paying for them? It would be dumb if hedid pay, he doesn't need them for a big payday.

lefty
07-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Well done by Gayweather tbh

Fuck the belt, everyone knows he won the fight and he gets to keep his money :lol

Poolboy5623
07-07-2015, 10:32 AM
It's boxing...who gives a sh-t?

Trill Clinton
07-07-2015, 10:34 AM
only belt that matters is the wbc belt. non issue.

hehateme
07-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Belts in boxing are like belts in wrestling, no one gives a fuck because there are to many and hold no recognition anymore due to that

Mitch
07-07-2015, 11:11 AM
only belt that matters is the wbc belt. non issue.

True, Floyd said he'd vacate that one too. Maybe he changed his mind?

Mitch
07-07-2015, 11:12 AM
Thebesteva when he opens this thread

http://img.pandawhale.com/46317-open-fridge-disappoint-gif-JS62.gif

Buddy Mignon
07-07-2015, 11:37 AM
The fat jew that wrote the article failed to mention that the WBO had scheduled a fight for the WBO welterweight title between Timothy Bradley vs Jesse Vargas just a month after Floyd was to fight Manny. Floyd was never awarded the belt acter beating Manny. These mafia organizations are a joke. Floyd has proven once again to be smarter than the rest. Why pay $200k for a belt that was never yours.

The Gemini Method
07-07-2015, 11:58 AM
So that is a Puerto Rican organization? Hmm seems worthwhile.

DMC
07-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Artest sold his championship ring. Trophies are worthless.

Infinite_limit
07-07-2015, 04:32 PM

Running contest? Sure

Boxing bout? He lost

Thread
07-07-2015, 04:35 PM

D M C

Reck
07-07-2015, 07:03 PM
The only one that got fucked here was Manny. He paid his 200k. :lol

Thebesteva
07-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Thebesteva (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42939) when he opens this thread

http://img.pandawhale.com/46317-open-fridge-disappoint-gif-JS62.gif

No, I am a true boxing fan unlike you. I know 9 out of 10 times a reputable champion wins the belt and allows it to get stripped. A bit dissapointed in Mayweather's probable next opponent though...Berto is a joke.

Nathan89
07-07-2015, 07:30 PM
200k for a belt is stupid. He made a smart decision.

Mitch
07-07-2015, 07:50 PM
No, I am a true boxing fan unlike you. I know 9 out of 10 times a reputable champion wins the belt and allows it to get stripped. A bit dissapointed in Mayweather's probable next opponent though...Berto is a joke.

You're just a guy in it for the KO, LBE. I'd call you more of a fighting fan, not a boxing fan.

Technique
07-07-2015, 08:52 PM

DWest left $10.5 mil on the table. Paper is worthless.

Mark Celibate
07-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Everyone will die and be buried or cremated, life is worthless.

Technique
07-07-2015, 09:01 PM

If you advance your society towards the future, towards the sun and beyond - then you bring purpose and meaning to life - that even in death, you are immortal.

Earl
07-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Running contest? Sure

Boxing bout? He lost

One of those guys :lol. Pacquiao put up one of the most embarrassing boxing performances in the history of hyped fights. Floyd with one arm would still take 9 rounds off him.

Thebesteva
07-07-2015, 11:12 PM
You're just a guy in it for the KO, LBE. I'd call you more of a fighting fan, not a boxing fan.

U root for Mayweather which probably means ur less than 26 years old and have never even seen a Whitaker fight or Willie Pep. You're just like LeBRONZE Jizz Cup rooting for "GOATweather" when every elite WW during the 80's would fuck his ass up. If I recall correctly, aren't you the genius who referred to Sugar Ray as a true middleweight? :lol

pgardn
07-07-2015, 11:20 PM

Franklin

Seretonin uptake inhibitors...
Or some weed and a good woman.

Mitch
07-07-2015, 11:21 PM
U root for Mayweather which probably means ur less than 26 years old and have never even seen a Whitaker fight or Willie Pep. You're just like LeBRONZE Jizz Cup rooting for "GOATweather" when every elite WW during the 80's would fuck his ass up. If I recall correctly, aren't you the genius who referred to Sugar Ray as a true middleweight? :lol

Pep was one of those overly glorified old boxers. He fought a fight without getting hit and boom he's somehow the greatest defensive boxer ever. The fact that you mention him means you're not much of a fan of the sport.

Like I said, you're a casual fan at best - but most likely an MMA fan.

pgardn
07-07-2015, 11:29 PM

Whitaker got screwed right here in SA. One of the worst decisions on a big fight ever. Chavez lost that fight and he knew it.

I hate Mayweather but that does not stop him from being great. Liking Whitakers style and disliking Floyds would be very odd. Floyd is going in the history books, like it or not. He is a fantastic boxer, he just is.

Buddy Mignon
07-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Whitaker got screwed right here in SA. One of the worst decisions on a big fight ever. Chavez lost that fight and he knew it.

I hate Mayweather but that does not stop him from being great. Liking Whitakers style and disliking Floyds would be very odd. Floyd is going in the history books, like it or not. He is a fantastic boxer, he just is.

I remember that fight. Pernell pitched a shutout. At 18 Floyd sparred with Whitaker and rumor has it Floyd took him to school. A lot of Floyd haters have only been following him since his fight with Dela Hoya. Floyd has dominated the fight game like no other. Leonard, Ali, Robinson, Whitaker, Jones, and every other great were washed up and beat up at 38. Floyd is still kicking ass.

Thebesteva
07-08-2015, 03:29 AM

I think Floyd is great...look at my old posts. I had him winning against Pacman and bet against Pac as well so...

adonis827
07-08-2015, 04:09 AM
A lot of people here thinking Mayweather run away with a win against Pacman.

Nope! Far from it. Don't believe the biased scores. He did literally run the whole time though.
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/05/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-replay-tells-another-story/

07-08-2015, 05:10 AM

http://generator-meme.com/inc/media/memes/philosoraptor.jpg

Clipper Nation
07-08-2015, 05:23 AM
:lol Pinoy nurse can't even hide the bitterness. Floyd is the GOAT, Manny is an also-ran. Deal with it.

Koolaid_Man
07-08-2015, 05:38 AM

And doesn't change his perception of being a dumbshit.

So let me get this straight.....Tim Duncan and David West each forfeit 10 million on a hope they will win....Floyd doesnt pay 200k for a belt he's not interested in....Tim and D. west are the smart guys but Floyd is the dumb guy.....care to explain that retarded logic?

Manny pays the 200k fee and still gets his ass kicked and the belt goes to Bradley? And again Floyd is the dumbass here? Really? :lol

Pinoy?

Koolaid_Man
07-08-2015, 05:42 AM
The only one that got fucked here was Manny. He paid his 200k. :lol

That's why Manny will go broke again like he was before the Floyd fight....dude is as dumb as they come...and I'm being generous....:lol

Thebesteva
07-09-2015, 05:09 AM
:lol Pinoy nurse can't even hide the bitterness. Floyd is the GOAT, Manny is an also-ran. Deal with it.

You've been extra salty with me since I rubbed 2-4 in your face. I understand it's difficult to cope with the harsh reality that Kobe is still clearly ahead on Lebron's legacy in the public's eye now.

nigerian
07-09-2015, 07:48 AM
asiatics with small dick syndrome happy about belts :lol

z0sa
07-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Clearly done on purpose so gullible fucks will watch round 2 and make those two faggots more hundreds of millions in cash.

:cry but but but the belt is back on the line :cry

Clipper Nation
07-09-2015, 08:36 AM
You've been extra salty with me since I rubbed 2-4 in your face. I understand it's difficult to cope with the harsh reality that Kobe is still clearly ahead on Lebron's legacy in the public's eye now.
You've been extra salty since it came out that you're Pinoy and a "male" nurse :lol

Buddy Mignon
07-09-2015, 08:42 AM
You've been extra salty since it came out that you're Pinoy and a "male" nurse :lol

"I'm a doctor"

TampaDude
07-09-2015, 10:08 AM
If you advance your society towards the future, towards the sun and beyond - then you bring purpose and meaning to life - that even in death, you are immortal.

"The significance of our lives and our fragile planet is then determined only by our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodians of life's meaning. We long for a parent to care for us, to forgive us our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal."

― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

Ashy Larry
07-09-2015, 03:29 PM
If I recall correctly, he did the same against Shane Mosley. Whipped his ass and let him keep his belt. Didn't wanna pay the bribe, er, sanctioning fees.