PDA

View Full Version : Why do people from Dallas & Houston dislike the city of San Antonio?

Blues 24-7-365
07-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Just wondering: Why do people from Dallas and Houston have so much disdain for San Antonio?

Not just talking jealous Rockets' or Mavericks' fans, either. I've had to spend a good deal of time the last two years on business trips in D or H --- and it seems the consensus in both places is that SA is some dull and worthless outpost 1,000 miles from civilization.

"Austin's cool, but don't waste your time seeing San Antonio." Very dismissive.

Go figure, though ... I've told three people back home in Denver that I'm visiting San Antonio in the fall and each told me how much he or she enjoyed traveling there. And all three have been a lot of places.

"You'll really like it"

What's the deal here?

Rust Cohle
07-07-2015, 03:18 PM
San Antonio is like somebody's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. It's like there was never anything here but jungle.

djohn2oo8
07-07-2015, 06:50 PM
SA is a nice city to raise a family in. (Northside). Nightlife kinda sucks, you see the same people all the time. Stayed in the med center, it was chill.

BD24
07-07-2015, 07:01 PM
SA is a nice city to raise a family in. (Northside). Nightlife kinda sucks, you see the same people all the time. Stayed in the med center, it was chill.
This. If you don't go out alot and don't really about the bar/club scene SA is a great city to live in. If you are someone who wants to party and go out alot sa probably isn't for you. I am a pretty chill laid back guy though so SA does nicely for me.

Mark Celibate
07-07-2015, 07:04 PM
There would've been no nightlife for you either without your parents' dirty money, even if you live in Houston (aka the anus of this country).

DarrinS
07-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Not even true, tbh

Caltex2
07-07-2015, 08:47 PM
I've gotta go but real quick SA is kinda arrogant.

baseline bum
07-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Houston has this ridiculous civic pride that I have never seen in any other city.

Xevious
07-08-2015, 04:31 AM
San Antonio is very much a working class town. A lot of retired military, etc. It's a place younger people want to leave to more desirable locations (Austin), but a lot of other people move here to leave the larger Texas cities to either raise families or just retire. I have no desire to leave SA, but it's also not a place I'd recommend people come for vacation.

Not sure if that answers the question or not.

DarrinS
07-08-2015, 06:40 AM
I've gotta go but real quick SA is kinda arrogant.

Really? SA is the least pretentious of Texas' big cities, tbh.

Spurminator
07-08-2015, 08:57 AM
As someone raised in Houston who has lived in Dallas for 13 years, I don't really know what OP is talking about.

Caltex2
07-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Really? SA is the least pretentious of Texas' big cities, tbh.

Not really, San Antonio brags so much about itself. I was in Downtown last year and really liked it so it has potential. But that's the key word: potential. San Antonio has a lot to work on if it wants to get on Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth's level, let alone places like LA, New York and San Francisco.

Maybe from your perspective SA isn't "pretentious" as you put it but there's a sizable ego in your town about an up and coming city but one that has a ton of work to do outside of being a popular tourist city if it wants to play with the big dogs.

Houston has this ridiculous civic pride that I have never seen in any other city.

Actually, Houston has an inferiority complex because it constantly gets bashed. Remember Pop's tweet about almost wanting to go on vacation more than go to Houston during the playoffs? Houston is really still trying to find it's identity as it grows into one of the country's premiere cities.

As someone raised in Houston who has lived in Dallas for 13 years, I don't really know what OP is talking about.

Me neither, we don't spend much time concerning ourselves with San Antonio not because we look down on it but it just doesn't spring to mind much outside the NBA and Westerns that feature The Alamo. Most people in Houston on the other hand dislike Dallas, who in turn is apathetic toward Houston.

Trill Clinton
07-08-2015, 11:20 AM
its usually the people from san antonio who dislike their own city. complain all the time about how much they hate it here but either too broke or lack ambition leave.

baseline bum
07-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Actually, Houston has an inferiority complex because it constantly gets bashed. Remember Pop's tweet about almost wanting to go on vacation more than go to Houston during the playoffs? Houston is really still trying to find it's identity as it grows into one of the country's premiere cities.

LOL premiere city, Houston thinks it's fucking New York.

Spurminator
07-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Most people in Houston on the other hand dislike Dallas, who in turn is apathetic toward Houston.

This I can confirm.

Caltex2
07-08-2015, 12:09 PM
LOL, no we don't and no one who lives here is under such a delusion. I think most people here just want people to realize the place is not a hell hole and the worst city on Earth as some outsiders claim. It's a nice place to get everything you want out of a big city without the glitz, glamor and tourism found in other cities of it's size and importance, more or less. The biggest complaint I have is that it's a spread out, strip mall laden city with a few tall buildings and fun places too spread out to enjoy thoroughly and almost completely soulless suburbs full of strip malls and McMansions (i.e. cookie cutter large suburban homes). It's a really good place with a really good vibe otherwise.

I was in Galveston this morning and that's a place that has more soul and character by comparison. Too bad it didn't develop into the region's primary city, though Houston is just fine as is, growing a million fold by the decade.