PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Expectations For Next Season?

BatManu20
07-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Curious where most ST'ers minds are at right now. Are the majority of you already in the "Championship or bust" mentality? As amazing as this offseason has been, there are still some things that need to be answered about this team. And it's like going to take some time to gel and learn to play together with so many new pieces. Not to mention I'm pretty sure we're the oldest team in the league now. Will be relying on 6 major players that are over 30 years old this season, including Timmy and Manu who are closer to 40. A lot hinges on Parker's health as well, obviously. Teams like the Dubs, Rockets, and Grizz will likely be just as good, if not better next season. And OKC will be back and healthy. So, it begs the question..

What are realistic expectations? Finals or bust? Or 'Chip or bust..

:flag:

SPURt
07-07-2015, 04:09 PM
David West is obviously in the "Championship or Bust" camp, no reason we shouldn't be

ElNono
07-07-2015, 04:10 PM
#1 pick in the lottery...

/testies

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Of course it's title or bust, as is every year for the Spurs..

BillMc
07-07-2015, 04:13 PM
#1 pick in the lottery...

/testies

Is this a Lakers thread?

Holden_Caulfield
07-07-2015, 04:14 PM
championship or bust

Robz4000
07-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Anything short of a championship is a failure.

BatManu20
07-07-2015, 04:15 PM
When was the last time the Spurs were considered unanimous favorites to win it all in the preseason? Seems almost every analyst is already picking us.

Mugen
07-07-2015, 04:16 PM
6 or bust tbh.

hater
07-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Title or we are the biggest chokers I'm history. Save season ending injuries

raybies
07-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Well I'm in the minority here, but I believe we have a shot at 70 barring any injuries. A lot of things have to go right, but if we had the luck of last year's Golden State squad, we could do it. I put it at mid 60's for the win total. We should dominate the east and win most of our west games. Teams that scare me are the Thunder and Pelicans, with the Grizzlies close behind. Thunder for obvious reasons, but the Pelicans have had their way with us most recently. We have no one to guard Anthony Davis and they have a solid core that's only gonna get better. As for Grizzlies, we lost Splitter who defended Z-Bo about as well as you can guard him. They still have some holes, but they will be a tough out for anyone.

Since we are a small market team and LaMarcus is learning on the fly as far as playing deep into the playoffs go, I would say finals or bust, but i think we are gonna win this year.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2015, 04:19 PM
When was the last time the Spurs were considered unanimous favorites to win it all in the preseason? Seems almost every analyst is already picking us.

A lot of them picked the Spurs to win last year, too, unfortunately..it's usually the kiss of death..

Reminds me of when hater makes a prediction:lol..

JWest596
07-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Realistic Expectations for next season......simple......

82-0, 16-0, 1 LOB

Baring injuries........it's going to be a fun season anyway you slice it.

TDomination
07-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Honestly I feel more nervous just because of the fact that everyone is choosing us.

Without a doubt its championship or bust.

But I know they can do it. If everyone accepts their role and we play spurs basketball, this team can win it all. Theres going to be a lot of hunger on this team, especially coming from West and Aldridge. Its gonna be fun!

BatManu20
07-07-2015, 04:26 PM
Honestly I feel more nervous just because of the fact that everyone is choosing us.

Without a doubt its championship or bust.

But I know they can do it. If everyone accepts their role and we play spurs basketball, this team can win it all. Theres going to be a lot of hunger on this team, especially coming from West and Aldridge. Its gonna be fun!

Agree with all of this. :tu

BatManu20
07-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Yea I always hate being favorites but there's probably no way to avoid it in this situation. Just gotta take care of business.

Vokun
07-07-2015, 04:28 PM
6 and Kawhi gets Finals MVP. Tim and Manu get to go out champions as it should be and we then begin to enter the new era with Aldridge, Kawhi, and Green leading the way while we pick up another all-star next year when the cap goes up.

RLT
07-07-2015, 04:33 PM
If we can stay healthy, I'm expecting Western Conference Finals with a great chance to make it to the finals. I don't think anyone in the East can match up with us at that point.

BillMc
07-07-2015, 04:33 PM
I think what we've actually done by signing LMA and re-signing Kawhi and Danny is set up the Spurs to contend for the next 4 to 5 years at minimum, and beyond the Big 3 era. Pop and R.C. will have to continue to fill out the roster and develop players but the foundations are locked in to be in the game for (nearly) the rest of the decade. This is the real reason to be on cloud 9 right now. We're going to stay relevant, as we always do, unlike other franchises (ahem, Lakers, Celtics)

In any given season though things can go your way or against you (injuries, ref calls, the bounce of the ball, matchups, etc). And while we'd all love to get a title next year for Timmy and Manu while they're here, you never know what can happen. But PATFO have set us up so that over the next 5 or so seasons we can probably have a decent chance of earning 1 to 2 championships, though, of course, nothing is guaranteed

So my expectation of "championship or bust" is more like: 1 over the next 4 years and I'd be happy, 2+ and I'd be estatic, 0 and I'd be slightly disappointed, but as we got "5"it is all icing on the cake to me.

MVPCues
07-07-2015, 04:36 PM
The over/under is probably lose in seven in the WCF.

Kuvai
07-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Championship or BUST.

This is the season for Timmy, Manu and David West. Spurs needs to get this like never before.

IN SYSTEM we TRUST

Uriel
07-07-2015, 08:42 PM
60 wins, and a WCF appearance at least are realistic goals to aim for, imo.

rayray2k8
07-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Of course it's title or bust, as is every year for the Spurs..

This TBH.. Hope its not RJ and Dice part 2.. That was a let down. -_-

AFBlue
07-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Spurs start slow but tear up the second half on their way to 64 wins, only two of their playoff series go six games (Warriors/Cavs), and in the end the Spurs lift #6.
:lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt:

100%duncan
07-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Championship of course. With that comes, atleast the 2 seed.

timtonymanu
07-07-2015, 08:54 PM
No excuse for a healthy Spurs team not to win it all.

If things go right, I expect the Spurs to start out slow while teams like the Rockets or Grizzlies start out hot. Some posters will cliff jump while others like Hoop Czar will claim the Spurs aren't on the Rockets or Grizzlies level. Spurs figure shit out in March/April, get a high seed, and win #6.

Kool Bob Love
07-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Already planning next years parade.:flag:

Mr. Body
07-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Wins in the upper 50s, top 4 seed in the west, legitimate shot at the Championship.

urunobili
07-07-2015, 09:11 PM
WCF TBH

UNT Eagles 2016
07-07-2015, 09:12 PM

July 2009.

We finished the 2009-10 with a mediocre 50-32 record and The Skunker, tbh...

SpurPadre
07-07-2015, 10:06 PM
6 and Kawhi gets Finals MVP. Tim and Manu get to go out champions as it should be and we then begin to enter the new era with Aldridge, Kawhi, and Green leading the way while we pick up another all-star next year when the cap goes up.

TD and Manu will play another year after to finally get that elusive repeat.

Splits
07-07-2015, 10:11 PM
After this loss to the Jazz in summer league, 1st round exit is our ceiling.

Vito Corleone
07-07-2015, 10:13 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but after watching the 2004 Lakers fail, I know we are not shoe-ins to win anything. If a team that features Kobe, Shaq, Karl Malone and Gary Payton can't win it all, then we have no business taking anything for granted.

With that said, I think we are a backup guard away from having a complete team. What I'd really like to see is us sign a backup center and shop Diaw for a combo guard that can play both the one and two spot and kill from 3pt range.

The guy I'd love to get is Jimmer Ferdette.

PopTheGOAT
07-07-2015, 10:30 PM
This TBH.. Hope its not RJ and Dice part 2.. That was a let down. -_-
Not following this comparison...
This season could be special man...SPECIAL. All we need is a little luck, we have everything else you could possible ask for.

Young talent - danny, kawhi....check

Experienced vets - big 3, diaw, west... (abundance of it)

Good bench - patty, west, diaw, manu (could beat half the league or more)

Great coaching staff - the greatest (read the user name)

And I didn't even mention possibly our leading scorer this year, LMA. Go-to scorer on top of all that? lmao

I know its hard to say something could be better than 5, but this could be close. Duncan(maybe) and Manu going out to a 'ship and leaving it to Kawhi and LMA? Thats just SPURS right there.

nah..5 is too tough