PDA

View Full Version : So, what happened to #built not bought?

russellgoat
07-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Real Spurs fans should be ashamed that their team is trying to buy a championship taking an all-star from another team. If I remember correctly it was only acceptable to sign role-players. Why would real Spurs fans celebrate a bought championship?

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2015, 09:35 PM
David Lee :lmao

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Winning ships in a 6 team league :lmao

ChumpDumper
07-07-2015, 09:36 PM
What happened to the Boston Celtics basketball team?

russellgoat
07-07-2015, 09:39 PM
What happened to the Boston Celtics basketball team?

Are you going to deny that spurs fans were always complaining about teams that signed all-star free agents because they were "buying the championship, specially the Lakers and Heat?

keepinitwill
07-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Is there still a team in Boston?

PopTheGOAT
07-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Are you going to deny that spurs fans were always complaining about teams that signed all-star free agents because they were "buying the championship, specially the Lakers and Heat? you're behind, Spurs new saying is "Spurs do what Spurs want"

testies
07-07-2015, 09:48 PM
I agree 100%.. much prefer to kept Splitter and Ferrari

random21
07-07-2015, 09:51 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_NBA_Draft
1997 NBA draft

The 1997 NBA draft took place on June 25, 1997 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Although the Boston Celtics had the second worst record in the 1996–97 season and the best odds (36 percent) of winning the lottery with two picks, the Spurs, usually a model of winning and consistency, lost David Robinson and Sean Elliott to injury early in the season and finished with the third worst record, subsequently winning the lottery. Leading up to the draft, there was no doubt that Tim Duncan would be selected at No. 1 by the Spurs, and in fact the rest of the draft was regarded with some skepticism.[1] The Celtics would end up with the third and sixth picks selecting Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer, both of whom were traded in the next two years.

ChumpDumper
07-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Are you going to deny that spurs fans were always complaining about teams that signed all-star free agents because they were "buying the championship, specially the Lakers and Heat?Only because the Spurs tried and failed to sign all-star free agents.

Now they have signed an all-star free agent.

Is this really a big deal to you?

dabom
07-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Last guy to make fun of the spurs was that blazer dude and now his team blows up. :lmao

Nvm celtics suck already. Can't get any worse. :lmao

PopTheGOAT
07-07-2015, 09:58 PM
:lol:lmao:lmao:lmao:lol
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_NBA_Draft
1997 NBA draft

The 1997 NBA draft took place on June 25, 1997 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Although the Boston Celtics had the second worst record in the 1996–97 season and the best odds (36 percent) of winning the lottery with two picks, the Spurs, usually a model of winning and consistency, lost David Robinson and Sean Elliott to injury early in the season and finished with the third worst record, subsequently winning the lottery. Leading up to the draft, there was no doubt that Tim Duncan would be selected at No. 1 by the Spurs, and in fact the rest of the draft was regarded with some skepticism.[1] The Celtics would end up with the third and sixth picks selecting Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer, both of whom were traded in the next two years.

ElNono
07-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Meh, first all-star free agent signing since ???? I can't even remember

Mugen
07-07-2015, 09:59 PM

Roger "Money" Mase

ElNono
07-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Roger "Money" Mase

he wasn't an all star though

Mugen
07-07-2015, 10:02 PM
he wasn't an all star though

In my heart, he was.

PopTheGOAT
07-07-2015, 10:03 PM
:toast:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:
fuck that small town mentality bullshit

WE STAAAAACKED

ElNono
07-07-2015, 10:04 PM
In my heart, he was.

that's deep

Spur|n|Austin
07-07-2015, 10:06 PM
It's a little different when players want to take pay cuts to come and play for the Spurs.

#built to #coveted

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Would be pretty cool if the Spurs won built titles and bought titles, tbh..

Strategic
07-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Still have TD, MG, TP, KW and DG. Can't blame LMA for wanting to learn from the best. West will hopefully be serviceable. Spurs will probably have a couple of young guns on the roster for the continued build.

100%duncan
07-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Op is a faggot and a lakerfan. He uses celtics as his team so his sixers west wont get rebutted everytime he tries to troll.

Ron Swanson
07-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Is there still a team in Boston?

I wouldn't really call it that.

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Did Pop or any of the players ever say "built not bought"? No. I've seen a lot of Spurs fans coming out with this crap. Spurs fans are the worst. Dumb, ignorant mexicans who couldn't tell you what a pivot foot is.

SpurPadre
07-07-2015, 10:14 PM
After over two decades of building, there's nothing wrong with buying a little in a league with LeBron who uses the Eastern Conference as his farm system to get players to play for him. And then you have other teams who try to buy their way into a title every year like the Mavs, Thunder, and Rockets...you can't just sit idly by and let them snag all these players all the time. This time, it was a necessary evil, tbh.

SpurPadre
07-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Did Pop or any of the players ever say "built not bought"? No. I've seen a lot of Spurs fans coming out with this crap. Spurs fans are the worst. Dumb, ignorant mexicans who couldn't tell you what a pivot foot is.

No need to be bigoted about it, Mr. Trump.

south side spur
07-07-2015, 10:17 PM
This coming from a franchise that has cried for almost 20 years about how yall almost and should've had Duncan.

SpurPadre
07-07-2015, 10:20 PM
This coming from a franchise that has cried for almost 20 years about how yall almost and should've had Duncan.

And one that bought KG and Allen for a title fairly recently.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Real Spurs fans should be ashamed that their team is trying to buy a championship taking an all-star from another team. If I remember correctly it was only acceptable to sign role-players. Why would real Spurs fans celebrate a bought championship?

Is there some rule I don't know about which means that the Spurs aren't allowed to sign free agents like everyone else? We haven't signed a major free-agent in a long, long time, so I'm glad we finally did.

SPURt
07-07-2015, 10:21 PM
The Spurs wanted to show the world they are the best at both business models? Is that an acceptable answer to a troll? So, behold, the Spurs big three have banded together one last time so they can take all the records your gonorrhea infested jizz fart of a big three ever owned.

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-07-2015, 10:23 PM
No need to be bigoted about it, Mr. Trump.

Not that it makes it okay, but I'm making fun of my own people. :P

Russo21
07-07-2015, 10:24 PM
We did try to get Kidd in his prime and Gasol last year. We've tried and failed to buy before. Lets hope these moves net us number 6

Austin_Toros
07-07-2015, 10:25 PM
This thread is stupid. Why should every other team sign FAs but not the Spurs?

jbspurs
07-07-2015, 10:28 PM

It was the players who wanted to join the Spurs. I don't think they have highest amount of money to offer the players, Spurs did not outbid or offer more money. It just happened that those players wanted to join a classy team with likable players.

SpurPadre
07-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Not that it makes it okay, but I'm making fun of my own people. :P

Well, it does still give you more liberty, tbh...much to the chagrin of many non-Hispanic white people in this country who are dying to say what Trump says and get away with it.

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-07-2015, 10:31 PM
Trump can never keep his cock-holster closed.

Thomas82
07-07-2015, 11:02 PM

The first time ever.

Kawhitstorm
07-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Remember Garnett & Ray Allen?

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Just like the * I don't really give a damn how the team is constructed, as long as they win...

BatManu20
07-08-2015, 12:54 AM

The last All-Star we signed was Rodman IIRC. He was in All-Star in '92 with Detroit I believe and we signed him in '93.

So yea, it's been a while...

Spurtacular
07-08-2015, 01:37 AM
I think if a team wins 50 plus games in nearly every season for a quarter century before FA's finally start to flock there, then they've built it. OP is Obama: 'You didn't build that!' :lol

jsandiego
07-08-2015, 11:34 AM
We crafted a beautiful mansion with our own two hands over the course of 20 years, and now you're complaining when we hired someone else to install the pool and outdoor grill?

Vokun
07-08-2015, 11:53 AM
:lol All those draft pricks
:lol Still garbage
:lol Getting knocked out by JR Smith literally
:lol Perkins punkin y'all

Dre_7
07-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Would be pretty cool if the Spurs won built titles and bought titles, tbh..

:tu

Would just go to show that the Spurs can win no matter how they build their team.

r0drig0lac
07-08-2015, 02:36 PM
We crafted a beautiful mansion with our own two hands over the course of 20 years, and now you're complaining when we hired someone else to install the pool and outdoor grill?http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bobo.gif

heyheymymy
07-08-2015, 02:49 PM
I think the difference is the Spurs didn't need to do it to win. They just won in 2014 and did so with "one man's trash" players claimed off waivers, drafted talent and D-league talent (Danny Green -Reno, and even got to the Finals in 13 with Summer League standout Gary Neal). The Spurs could get it done, many times, and recently, without collusion.

Lebron couldn't even get to the ECF in 2010 before he called up 2 All-Stars and colluded for 2 rings in 4 tries out of a weaker conference which is where the built not bought criticism was most recently applied.

Another difference is Aldridge is Duncan's retirement replacement. Duncan is going to be 40 years old this season and is grooming a PF to take his spot, when he likely retires in the next year or two. This is different than Lebron having to assemble a super team in Miami because he couldn't win a title, while still in his prime at 26 years old or so.

What do you want OP? Duncan to play till he's 50? The Spurs to just let the PF position vacate completely? It's not collusion, it's a retiring player's replacement.

Horry Hipcheck
07-08-2015, 03:52 PM
After over two decades of building, there's nothing wrong with buying a little in a league with LeBron who uses the Eastern Conference as his farm system to get players to play for him. And then you have other teams who try to buy their way into a title every year like the Mavs, Thunder, and Rockets...you can't just sit idly by and let them snag all these players all the time. This time, it was a necessary evil, tbh.

It should be noted that the Spurs didn't just throw money at Aldridge. The Spurs have carefully built a culture of team basketball these last 20 years, and a belief in a system that doesn't try and fill a roster with big name stars year in and year out. The Spurs have let Pop develop his role players, and in turn they've rewarded him and the franchise with loyalty (Danny Green, the most glaring and recent example of this). The Spurs draft well, they cultivate no-name talent to function in the system, and they've constructed an empire of intelligent players that are loyal to a coach and a front office that has no interest in superstar divas to try and sell tickets. The Miami Heat had no such culture. Dallas has no such culture, the Clippers have no such culture, and any Celtics fan should come to grips with the reality that a substantial number of their franchise's titles came when the league was a fucking THIRD of the size it is now. Aldridge WANTED to come here. West threw away TWELVE MILLION DOLLARS to come here. That's not "bought". That's a proven champion franchise offering the chance for talented FAs to go all-in on Pop's system and try to win.

I get it, fans of teams that drift in and out of contention are a little salty because Spurs fans have had their cake and been able to eat it, too, for much of the last two decades. It's been a long time since a franchise so showered a fanbase in consistency and competitiveness, and the SA community has come to expect it. This was the biggest splash the Spurs have made in free agency in their entire history, and it ONLY happened because of what PATFO built.

Brian Windhorst
07-08-2015, 04:25 PM
We're still built not bought and this LMA thing is a perfect example. Spurs built the most successful franchise, culture, and environment, where players know they're going to be treated fairly and with respect; what do you know, all of that hard work pays off in the form of players wanting to come here.

Don't you want to live in a world where the best organization and front office is rewarded? LMA coming to the Spurs is a reward for about two decades of 'building', if you will.

florige
07-08-2015, 04:46 PM
I always thought signing Michael Finley was a pretty big deal. He wasn't a mega superstar, but he was a major contributor. I was never sold on RJ and really never understood the hype behind that softy when he was at NJ.

SpurPadre
07-08-2015, 05:51 PM
It should be noted that the Spurs didn't just throw money at Aldridge. The Spurs have carefully built a culture of team basketball these last 20 years, and a belief in a system that doesn't try and fill a roster with big name stars year in and year out. The Spurs have let Pop develop his role players, and in turn they've rewarded him and the franchise with loyalty (Danny Green, the most glaring and recent example of this). The Spurs draft well, they cultivate no-name talent to function in the system, and they've constructed an empire of intelligent players that are loyal to a coach and a front office that has no interest in superstar divas to try and sell tickets. The Miami Heat had no such culture. Dallas has no such culture, the Clippers have no such culture, and any Celtics fan should come to grips with the reality that a substantial number of their franchise's titles came when the league was a fucking THIRD of the size it is now. Aldridge WANTED to come here. West threw away TWELVE MILLION DOLLARS to come here. That's not "bought". That's a proven champion franchise offering the chance for talented FAs to go all-in on Pop's system and try to win.

I get it, fans of teams that drift in and out of contention are a little salty because Spurs fans have had their cake and been able to eat it, too, for much of the last two decades. It's been a long time since a franchise so showered a fanbase in consistency and competitiveness, and the SA community has come to expect it. This was the biggest splash the Spurs have made in free agency in their entire history, and it ONLY happened because of what PATFO built.

Agree with all of this, tbh.