PDA

View Full Version : 2015-16 Spurs = 1986-87 Lakers

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2015, 12:48 AM
I'm actually going to go back to the 83-84 season where the Lakers (much like the '12-'13 Spurs) suffered a heart breaking loss on the road at the hands of the Celtics in Gm 7 of the Finals. In 84-85 the Lakers won 62 games (ala the '13-'14 Spurs) & avenged their loss (Weird how the 2-3-2 format in the Finals started in '85 & was changed to 2-2-1-1 in '14). The 85-86 Lakers title defense ended on a miraculous shot at the buzzer courtesy of Ralph Sampson (shades of Cp3).

In 86-87, Riley handed the keys to Magic (ala Pop handing the keys to Kawhi) & put AC Green in the starting lineup along w/ acquiring Mychal Thompson from the Blazers in exchange for Maurice Lucas (Tiago's alter ego) to backup the aging Kareem. The Lakers won 65 games & Magic went on to win his 1st regular season MVP. Eventually, they met the loaded Celtics in the Finals & beat them in 6. I should mention, 40 yr old Kareem was FINALLY able to defend a title when the Lakers repeated in '88.

Prediction, Spurs win 65 game & Kawhi win his 1st regular season MVP. I expect LMA to play a James Worthy type role & D-West to channel his inner AC Green.

apalisoc_9
07-08-2015, 12:49 AM
OP is one of the best new posters in this site tbh..I've read most of his 29 post and all he ever talks about is legit basketbll..

Good too see real basketball mind around here...

TheGoldStandard
07-08-2015, 12:52 AM
http://i60.tinypic.com/34ili6w.jpg

dabom
07-08-2015, 12:57 AM
Kawhi does want a MVP
TroPHY tbh

HI-FI
07-08-2015, 01:01 AM
Its an interesting comparison. Let's hope the OP is right.

http://i60.tinypic.com/34ili6w.jpg
:lmao
i still do that to this day. Great mr. Show skit.

Mikeanaro
07-08-2015, 01:35 AM
OP is one of the best new posters in this site tbh..I've read most of his 29 post and all he ever talks about is legit basketbll..

Agreed, new blood will make the old shit dissipate.

YGWHI
07-08-2015, 01:47 AM
Prediction, Spurs win 65 game & Kawhi win his 1st regular season MVP. I expect LMA to play a James Worthy type role & D-West to channel his inner AC Green.

I'm still happier than I've ever been reading a sports forum. Ma boy Kawhi's getting a ton of love here. Can't wait for the season to start!

Spurtacular
07-08-2015, 01:48 AM
I'd compare the Cavs to the Lakers. They're the ones who are playing in the weak-a** conference and are all but a lock to make it to the finals. Spurs are more like the C's; good system, great players who mostly don't get their individual due; have to play in the much tougher conference and beat the likes of Dr. J, Bad Boys, Nique, Jordan...

BillMc
07-08-2015, 01:57 AM
I'd compare the Cavs to the Lakers. They're the ones who are playing in the weak-a** conference and are all but a lock to make it to the finals. Spurs are more like the C's; good system, great players who mostly don't get their individual due; have to play in the much tougher conference and beat the likes of Dr. J, Bad Boys, Nique, Jordan...

OP's comparison is nice, but I agree with you and the Cavs/Lakers and Spurs/Celtics comparison. The Lakers has a breeze to the Finals, while the East was a bitch. Now the situation is reversed.

But if we can be compared to either the 87 Lakers or the 86 Celtics, let's hope it ends the same way for the Spurs as it did for them! :toast

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2015, 02:12 AM

Actually, I have compared the 2014 Spurs to the 89 Pistons who avenged their loss in 88 by sweeping the Lakers after they were robbed of the title by a phantom foul call in Gm 6 thus enabled the Lakers to repeat after they won a competitive Gm 7 on their home court. (In both '88 & '13, a forward James was named Finals MVP & the star point guard of the losing squad was playing injured)

eric365
07-08-2015, 05:24 AM
As long as it's not 2004 or 2013 Lakers we're fine

Like the spurs they were championship team that just failed to win another one and then adding stars and big name vets

Fireball
07-08-2015, 06:50 AM
Yes, good basketball talk again ... but most people here go way overboard with their predictions and expectations about what this 2015/16 team will accomplish. There is still so much that can go wrong on a way to a championship. I am looking forward to a season of great Spurs basketball. It will be successful (i.e. 50+ wins), but everything else on top is hard to predict.

SpurAddict561
07-08-2015, 06:56 AM
Great post, what a resemblance.

Spurtacular
07-08-2015, 07:22 AM
Actually, I have compared the 2014 Spurs to the 89 Pistons who avenged their loss in 88 by sweeping the Lakers after they were robbed of the title by a phantom foul call in Gm 6 thus enabled the Lakers to repeat after they won a competitive Gm 7 on their home court. (In both '88 & '13, a forward James was named Finals MVP & the star point guard of the losing squad was playing injured)

Interesting. Remind me of the phantom call...I watched the game and probably thought it; but it's been awhile.

SPURt
07-08-2015, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure I agree with comparing these Spurs to any of the 80's teams, or really any team at all. Franchise players never jumped ship back then, especially not to ring chase. Even when Malone and Payton joined the Lakers, they were far beyond their prime. Malone was 40 and only played 42 games, Payton was a good get at 35 yrs old and averaged more points, assists and rebounds than Tony Parker last year, as well as playing all 82 games.

I hope Aldridge's don't fall off like Thompsons. Thompson's numbers were good initially, but for #1 overall pick he'd be a near bust by today's standards.

hater
07-08-2015, 08:52 AM
This comparison would make Matt Barnes = Larry Bird

MultiTroll
07-08-2015, 08:55 AM

Astray
07-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Kawhi win his 1st regular season MVP.

:lmao

hater
07-08-2015, 09:04 AM
:lol looks like the short bus added a few more stops to their route :lol

TheDoctor
07-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Agreed, new blood will make the old shit dissipate.

New blood? He's freaking talking about 80's basketball. He should be 50 years old minimum.

But I love Grandpas stories and he's legit.

jsandiego
07-08-2015, 11:21 AM
New blood? He's freaking talking about 80's basketball. He should be 50 years old minimum.

In 1988 I would've been 10 years old! I'm not close to being a grandpa yet, but I can't speak for OP.

I don't remember the phantom foul call from seeing it live, but I did see old footage on NBATV or maybe the 30 for 30 on the Bad Boys.

Scratch that -- I found it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSHGG0sGUOc

Here's an article that says Pat Riley admitted it was a phantom foul:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2103545-pat-riley-admits-84-lakers-benefited-from-phantom-foul-vs-detroit-pistons

It looks like Laimbeer bumped his elbow to me, but not sure it should've been whistled a foul.

baseline bum
07-08-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm actually going to go back to the 83-84 season where the Lakers (much like the '12-'13 Spurs) suffered a heart breaking loss on the road at the hands of the Celtics in Gm 7 of the Finals. In 84-85 the Lakers won 62 games (ala the '13-'14 Spurs) & avenged their loss (Weird how the 2-3-2 format in the Finals started in '85 & was changed to 2-2-1-1 in '14). The 85-86 Lakers title defense ended on a miraculous shot at the buzzer courtesy of Ralph Sampson (shades of Cp3).

In 86-87, Riley handed the keys to Magic (ala Pop handing the keys to Kawhi) & put AC Green in the starting lineup along w/ acquiring Mychal Thompson from the Blazers in exchange for Maurice Lucas (Tiago's alter ego) to backup the aging Kareem. The Lakers won 65 games & Magic went on to win his 1st regular season MVP. Eventually, they met the loaded Celtics in the Finals & beat them in 6. I should mention, 40 yr old Kareem was FINALLY able to defend a title when the Lakers repeated in '88.

The Lakers acquired Mychal Thompson from the Spurs in exchange for Frank Brickowski.

honestfool84
07-08-2015, 11:45 AM

It's quite ironic that you would post it... Considering you're a big reason for al the crappy non-basketball talk around here.

AKA "Porker" vs "Kawhi" crap.

look_at_g_shred
07-08-2015, 11:58 AM

You should take some notes tbh.

Mikeanaro
07-08-2015, 12:57 PM

He is new blood here in ST.

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2015, 01:40 PM
As long as it's not 2004 or 2013 Lakers we're fine

Like the spurs they were championship team that just failed to win another one and then adding stars and big name vets

The 2004 Lakers had Devan George as part of their starting line up. I guess you could compare Payton/Malone to Tony/Tim & Kawhi/LMA to Kobe/Shaq but the Lakers didn't have a D-West, Patty or Danny on their squad which was their ultimate failing against a deep Pistons squad once Malone got injured.

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2015, 01:42 PM
The Lakers acquired Mychal Thompson from the Spurs in exchange for Frank Brickowski.

I guess he didn't have a cup of coffee at the Alamo but Tiago wasn't traded for LMA either LMA simply replaced Tiago just like Thompson replaced Lucas.

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2015, 01:46 PM
In 1988 I would've been 10 years old! I'm not close to being a grandpa yet, but I can't speak for OP.

I don't remember the phantom foul call from seeing it live, but I did see old footage on NBATV or maybe the 30 for 30 on the Bad Boys.

Scratch that -- I found it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSHGG0sGUOc

Here's an article that says Pat Riley admitted it was a phantom foul:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2103545-pat-riley-admits-84-lakers-benefited-from-phantom-foul-vs-detroit-pistons

It looks like Laimbeer bumped his elbow to me, but not sure it should've been whistled a foul.

It was the 80s & they were the Bad Boys. Hand checking was legal & flagrant fouls were a rarity. Calling a bumping foul on a postup play let alone on a potential go ahead shot of a title clincher is disgusting. That is the equivalent of Dirk getting 2 FTs for stepping on Tim's shoe in 2006.

jsandiego
07-08-2015, 01:49 PM
It was the 80s & they were the Bad Boys. Hand checking was legal & flagrant fouls were a rarity. Calling a bumping foul on a postup play let alone on a potential go ahead shot of a title clincher is disgusting. That is the equivalent of Dirk getting 2 FTs for stepping on Tim's shoe in 2006.
Yeah, agreed. It was a terrible call.

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure I agree with comparing these Spurs to any of the 80's teams, or really any team at all. Franchise players never jumped ship back then, especially not to ring chase.

Moses Malone was traded to the Sixers in 82 when he was at the peak of his prime & he ended winning the MVP along w/ bringing a championship to the Philly after punking Kareem in the finals. Fo, Fo, Fo!

Gervin44Silas13
07-08-2015, 02:59 PM
this team is loaded all they have to do is win in the regular season.....get a good seed.......... win 16 games in the playoffs and not lose 4

It's gonna be great to see this team!!!!

SPURt
07-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Moses Malone was traded to the Sixers in 82 when he was at the peak of his prime & he ended winning the MVP along w/ bringing a championship to the Philly after punking Kareem in the finals. Fo, Fo, Fo!
This is probably the closest to the Spurs situation. At that time, though it wasn't so much the choice of Moses Malone. Malone was restricted and signed an offer sheet which the Rockets matched. The Rockets were in full tank mode and changing owners that season, so they elected to trade Malone to Sixers for Cleveland's (at the time an awful franchise) first round pick, which I think ended up being 3rd overall and was used to select Rodney McCray making that trade horribly lopsided. Sixers owner Harold Katz wanted Moses really bad and got the perfect player for the perfect situation.

Horry Hipcheck
07-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Great analysis, I'm less bold on the prediction though. I could see the Spurs enduring some early struggles as Aldridge and West find their grooves in Pop's system. Also depends on what depth the FO brings in to replace CoJo and Beli. 65 wins is possible, but they're going to have to do it while competing for the No. 1 seed with Golden State and that's assuming they gel quickly and avoid injuries. Kawhi is due for a big regular season, though, I'll give you that.

Kawhitstorm
04-13-2016, 10:31 PM

:wakeup

Kawhitstorm
04-13-2016, 10:42 PM
I'm revisiting this post after 9 months & after some keen observations I'm going to reassess my outlook:

The current Spurs are a modern version of the '85-'86 Celtics who had the GOAT frontline. The difference is that Bird in '86 was at the peak of his prime while Kawhi is now just entering his prime. They even had the #1 defense, ranked a bottom 25% for pace & also had the 3rd ranked offense along with being dominant at home just like the current Spurs. I guess that would make the Warriors the equivalent of the '86-'87 Lakers except replace Kareem w/ Bogut:lol.

Frontcourt:

Bird/Kawhi+Boris
McHale/LMA
Parish/Tim+West
Walton/Boban:lol
Wedman/Kyle

Backcourt:

DJ/Danny+Manu
Ainge/Tony
Sichting/Patty
Carlisle/Miller:lol

Spurtacular
04-14-2016, 12:50 AM
The difference is the best team isn't all banged up like the 87 C's were.

Kawhitstorm
04-14-2016, 01:11 AM
The difference is the best team isn't all banged up like the 87 C's were.

I reassessed & the Spurs are like the '86 Cs while the Duds are more similar to the '87 Lakers.