PDA

View Full Version : I Guess some unofficial "Quick Thoughts" from Summer League (Game 2)

raybies
07-08-2015, 01:20 AM
Kyle Anderson
25 points, 8 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 5 to

?Kyle bounced back from a poor first game, as I expected, and led the team in scoring. I'm not sure if he did anything different, but he seemed to be more aggressive and the shots fell. He shot 8-14 from the field and 8-9 from the stripe. It's hard to say if this was just a good shooting night or something he can consistently do. He scored in a variety of ways and continued to orchestrate the offense yada yada. What I really liked about his game today was his ball handling despite the fact he almost lost it on a few occasions, because it showed a level of confidence that is beyond role player status quo. He has a nice crossover and in-and-out dribble that he uses to stun the opponent as he drives through the lane. Quality moves for the potential 5th option off the bench. Defensively, he did a lot better today. He stayed in front of his man, for the most part, and used his length to contest shots well. Considering he played about 30 mins, he really stuffed the stat sheets. While some have their doubts about Kyle, he has shown he has a few NBA skills like: ball handling, passing, rebounding, and IQ. Can he keep this up?

Treveon Graham
17 points, 3 rebounds

(Fill in the blank)
Like this prospect for Austin. Showed he can defend and hit the three. I liked how he attacked the basket.

Dairis Bertans
8 points, 4 steals

Although his shot wasn't falling, he still helped the team in many ways. I didn't realize he had four steals, but what caught my eye was his defense. He was a ball hawk and very pesty. One of my critiques about him, as he is compared to Neal, is does he have that clutch gene or no conscience when he shoots. I'm not sure if it was a bad shooting night or if the hit he sustained to the head affected him, cause he was off after that hit. An airball free throw and then a second miss. Can he bounce back?

Cady LaLanne
6 points, 11 rebounds, 2 blocks, 5 fouls

Cady quietly had a solid night. He wasn't featured on offense tonight as much and I'm not sure if that was by design or if the scouting report on him came out, cause they were playing up on him. He took 5 shots. Could he be a little more aggressive next game, sure. Defensively he bothered shots with his length. What concerns me about him is how foul-prone he is. A lot of swiping at the ball and bringing the arms down instead of just keeping them up and playing solid defense. He seemed a little invisible tonight except when he was fouling. Can he make more of impact next game?

Livio Jean-Charles
4 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, 7 fouls

What can I say about Livio? Well, offensively he seems stumped. It gets ugly, to the point when he has the ball under the rim, I'm hoping he just kicks it out. He would look infinitely better if he just made a few more baskets around the rim, a jumper here, and a hook shot there, but miss after miss, they rimmed out. I'm not sure if it's a confidence thing or this is just the way he is. My gut tells me confidence because once upon a time at a summit of Nike he made it look easy. One game I know, but can't he just play like that now. Defensively, he is a deterrent. He was giving Cooley fits. At this time he seems best fit as a small ball 4. I only remember him guarding Hood once and Rodney took it in for a reverse layup. He did defend solidly, although. 7 fouls eesh, but that was the story of the night for the Summer Spurs. Can he stick to a role?

dabom
07-08-2015, 01:27 AM
I was laughing when they were talking about 10 fouls per player. Wtf? Lol

GSH
07-08-2015, 01:28 AM
Oh, this is gonna get bloody. :grim:

toki9
07-08-2015, 01:31 AM
One of the things I liked about KA was that he was constantly communicating, talking to teammates after each deadball, pointing out where people should be, etc.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-08-2015, 01:40 AM
#17 sucks. Dude cannot run an offense. At times I felt like KA just wanted to come up and take the ball from him. Every single time 17 started offense it was from top of key. Not once did I see him dribble to the wing and then center it when the big filled that top of key spot and then initiate offense or rotate to other wing. I thought that would be a good offense when KA brought in ball and getting his hands more often and initiate offense.

KDKSpurs24
07-08-2015, 01:41 AM
I really like Treveon Graham's game. I was really looking forward to watching him play after I looked up a vid of him in college when I saw he was on the roster. Even though he didn't really show much in the first game, I still thought he played pretty solid with limited touches. In game 2 he confirmed what my thoughts were when I watched the video. My thought was that he could be sort of similar to Justise Winslow and Stanley Johnson in some ways(with a lower ceiling of course but that's not a bad thing at all). He's also a really good shooter and seems physical so I would like to have him on the roster if he shows that he can do that consistently.

ElNono
07-08-2015, 01:51 AM
thanks for the writeup :tu

BillMc
07-08-2015, 01:58 AM
Kyle Anderson
25 points, 8 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 5 to

?Kyle bounced back from a poor first game, as I expected, and led the team in scoring. I'm not sure if he did anything different, but he seemed to be more aggressive and the shots fell. He shot 8-14 from the field and 8-9 from the stripe. It's hard to say if this was just a good shooting night or something he can consistently do. He scored in a variety of ways and continued to orchestrate the offense yada yada. What I really liked about his game today was his ball handling despite the fact he almost lost it on a few occasions, because it showed a level of confidence that is beyond role player status quo. He has a nice crossover and in-and-out dribble that he uses to stun the opponent as he drives through the lane. Quality moves for the potential 5th option off the bench. Defensively, he did a lot better today. He stayed in front of his man, for the most part, and used his length to contest shots well. Considering he played about 30 mins, he really stuffed the stat sheets. While some have their doubts about Kyle, he has shown he has a few NBA skills like: ball handling, passing, rebounding, and IQ. Can he keep this up?

Treveon Graham
17 points, 3 rebounds

(Fill in the blank)
Like this prospect for Austin. Showed he can defend and hit the three. I liked how he attacked the basket.

Dairis Bertans
8 points, 4 steals

Although his shot wasn't falling, he still helped the team in many ways. I didn't realize he had four steals, but what caught my eye was his defense. He was a ball hawk and very pesty. One of my critiques about him, as he is compared to Neal, is does he have that clutch gene or no conscience when he shoots. I'm not sure if it was a bad shooting night or if the hit he sustained to the head affected him, cause he was off after that hit. An airball free throw and then a second miss. Can he bounce back?

Cady LaLanne
6 points, 11 rebounds, 2 blocks, 5 fouls

Cady quietly had a solid night. He wasn't featured on offense tonight as much and I'm not sure if that was by design or if the scouting report on him came out, cause they were playing up on him. He took 5 shots. Could he be a little more aggressive next game, sure. Defensively he bothered shots with his length. What concerns me about him is how foul-prone he is. A lot of swiping at the ball and bringing the arms down instead of just keeping them up and playing solid defense. He seemed a little invisible tonight except when he was fouling. Can he make more of impact next game?

Livio Jean-Charles
4 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, 7 fouls

What can I say about Livio? Well, offensively he seems stumped. It gets ugly, to the point when he has the ball under the rim, I'm hoping he just kicks it out. He would look infinitely better if he just made a few more baskets around the rim, a jumper here, and a hook shot there, but miss after miss, they rimmed out. I'm not sure if it's a confidence thing or this is just the way he is. My gut tells me confidence because once upon a time at a summit of Nike he made it look easy. One game I know, but can't he just play like that now. Defensively, he is a deterrent. He was giving Cooley fits. At this time he seems best fit as a small ball 4. I only remember him guarding Hood once and Rodney took it in for a reverse layup. He did defend solidly, although. 7 fouls eesh, but that was the story of the night for the Summer Spurs. Can he stick to a role?

Thanks for the analysis. Very helpful as I missed the game.

kawhidoyoudothistome
07-08-2015, 02:20 AM
I've been really excited about LJC, yet I haven't gotten to see him play due to being busy on the nights he's played. From what I hear on here, it's terrible offense with stellar defense. Hoping it's just him being nervous or some shit. If he works hard enough, he can be a Tony Allen-like type? Defensive pest with 0 offense. Can go off some nights. Better at the boards.

SAGirl
07-08-2015, 02:20 AM
Thanks Rabies. I liked that you pointed your observations and brief analysis, but also some things to watch out for in the next game. Nice summary. :bobo

DeRozan m8
07-08-2015, 03:06 AM
I just can't see Kyle Anderson amounting to anything in the top level, what does he have?

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-08-2015, 03:14 AM
I just can't see Kyle Anderson amounting to anything in the top level, what does he have?

Length. Even if he isn't doing anything else well, he is a factor on the glass. Also, his bball I.Q. I'm not really sold on his passing ability, since I don't think I've ever seen him get more than 3 assists outside of Austin, but the boy can dribble. If he can put on some muscle, and learn a power move or two, he could be worth a couple minutes off the bench.

spurs10
07-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. Bertrans was looking sharp in the beginning of the game. Remained aggressive even if his shot stopped falling. KA was obviously trying to assert mimself. Graham will probably get an invite. Hoping Lalanne will continue to improve.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Thanks OP for the write up. :tu

xellos88330
07-08-2015, 10:02 AM
I've been really excited about LJC, yet I haven't gotten to see him play due to being busy on the nights he's played. From what I hear on here, it's terrible offense with stellar defense. Hoping it's just him being nervous or some shit. If he works hard enough, he can be a Tony Allen-like type? Defensive pest with 0 offense. Can go off some nights. Better at the boards.

Allen seems to have better handles and cuts better off the ball. LJC might be too tall for that kind of play.

He just needs to get his jumper consistent as his form doesn't look bad. I honestly think it might just be a mental thing because a majority of his shots fall short and catch front iron. Maybe it is depth perception playing in a much more open area?