PDA

View Full Version : What would you prioritize, a backup 5 or a backup wing (2/3)?

SpursBig3s
07-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Just saw that were "engaging in talks" with Boozer... all I gotta say is SCREW THAT. Do not want that loser on this team. We already have 3 PFs, and only 1 PF/C. I mean hell, look at all the 5s in just our division alone! Howard, Gasol, Davis (when they go "small"), and now Jordan. That is quite possibly 4 of the top 5 centers all in one division. We need a 5 to come play 15min a game and whose sole objective is to bang with said players down low, and protect the rim. Timmy is incredible, but he's 40 and can't do it all game.

If we can't get a player like that, which is quite possible, I'd say what everyone's been saying the past few days and find a backup 2/3 (Belinelli filler), or a 3rd point guard/guard. Even if I wanted Boozer, it just creates a logjam of 3 players whose skill sets are very similar (West, Aldridge, and Boozer all like to play around the elbows and shoot midrange Js, albeit Boozer is the worst overall player of the 3).

just my 2 cents

nickdaquick
07-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Highly doubt we want Boozer now that we have West. Priority should be 1. 7 ft bruiser 2. project wing that can shoot 3's 3. 3rd string PG (either a vet or a high energy defensive guy).

Kawhi_and_LMA
07-08-2015, 06:45 PM
I'd get a nice tall backup 5.

Aztecfan03
07-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Just saw that were "engaging in talks" with Boozer... all I gotta say is SCREW THAT. Do not want that loser on this team. We already have 3 PFs, and only 1 PF/C. I mean hell, look at all the 5s in just our division alone! Howard, Gasol, Davis (when they go "small"), and now Jordan. That is quite possibly 4 of the top 5 centers all in one division. We need a 5 to come play 15min a game and whose sole objective is to bang with said players down low, and protect the rim. Timmy is incredible, but he's 40 and can't do it all game.

If we can't get a player like that, which is quite possible, I'd say what everyone's been saying the past few days and find a backup 2/3 (Belinelli filler), or a 3rd point guard/guard. Even if I wanted Boozer, it just creates a logjam of 3 players whose skill sets are very similar (West, Aldridge, and Boozer all like to play around the elbows and shoot midrange Js, albeit Boozer is the worst overall player of the 3).

just my 2 cents
I'd like both. West may be able to play against those players, but still that is a 40 year old duncan and 35 year old west. And Duncan is going to take more games off than green, so i would say a 5 should be a bit more of a priority.

DesignatedT
07-08-2015, 06:50 PM
We need both but getting another 2 guard to take the roll of Belinelli is probably more important at the moment.

DesignatedT
07-08-2015, 06:50 PM
And all the Boozer rumors came out before we inked West. So....

admiralsnackbar
07-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Both, but a guard is more pressing. Bonner and Lalane are cue'd-up and ready to sign as needed, but the guard spots vacated by Cojo and Belli are still uncertain.

nickdaquick
07-08-2015, 06:53 PM
I'd like both. West may be able to play against those players, but still that is a 40 year old duncan and 35 year old west. And Duncan is going to take more games off than green, so i would say a 5 should be a bit more of a priority.

that's why getting a C should priority #1. Can't expect Duncan to play a lot in the regular season.

dabom
07-08-2015, 07:04 PM
We need a PG. SG 2nd and SF 3rd.

TEXICAN
07-08-2015, 07:08 PM
1. Back up PG...Parker and Mills are not exactly iron men, id expect an injury or 2 throughout the year
2. 7 foot C.... good enough to set screens and deliver 5 hard fouls
3. 2/3 combo... back up Kawhi and maybe give Manu a month or so off during RS

TD 21
07-08-2015, 07:09 PM
Before West, I'd have said backup C. Now, it's clearly fourth wing, since whatever C they sign at this point has zero chance at cracking the rotation. Also, last season not withstanding, Ginobili isn't particularly durable and neither is Leonard.

Considering the price and the fact that he spurned the Cavs/Warriors, West was a great signing. But as I said when it broke, lost amid the hype was the fact that he and Diaw are a poor fit together defensively/rebounding wise. They'll either have to limit the minutes Duncan and Aldridge play together to account for this or attempt to get by with no rim protection/defensive rebounding for long stretches.

BD24
07-08-2015, 07:22 PM
I would like another 3 and D guy off the bench or at least a 2/3 who can knock down 3's.

Russ
07-08-2015, 07:24 PM
A backup center would keep LMA happy (at least for a while).

I'd love to get Seraphin (probably not affordable) or Walter Tavares (same). Anyway, the Spurs may have to wait till mid-season like they did with Baynes and bring over a Euroleague guy.

At the 2 guard, I'd go with Dairis Bertans. He's got a huge motor and knows the Spurs game better than any domestics that might be available. Last year he shot 56% from two, 38% from three and 82% from the line. He's 6'4" and had four steals in yesterday's Summer League game. If you liked Belinelli, you'd like this guy.

But Bertans might warrant more than the minimum which the Spurs couldn't do.

Plenty of options still available -- these last few spots are where the FO always earns their money and sets up things for the future. That's why I hope they fill those remaining slots with youth and energy. This team could use some young guys.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-08-2015, 07:24 PM
I'd get a nice tall backup 5.

This. But we also need a shooting swingman, even if he is somewhat of a project, that isn't a complete matador on the other end.

look_at_g_shred
07-08-2015, 07:30 PM
1. Backup C
2. Bench Wing Defender or Shooter
3. Backup PG

TD 21
07-08-2015, 07:36 PM
A backup center would keep LMA happy (at least for a while).

Whatever backup C they sign, isn't going to play, if they're healthy and not giving anyone a game off. West is probably strong/stout enough to get away with defending a lot of C's, but he can't fulfill the other primary responsibilities of one.

Considering the overall quality of the four bigs, even if one of Duncan, Diaw or West, was out a few weeks, I could see Pop essentially going to a 3 or at most 3 and 1/2 big rotation. That would be less likely if Aldridge were the one to go down, but still possible.

Brian Windhorst
07-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Why the fuck didn't Gary sign here tbh? He'd give us shooting off the bench and would be a 'break in case of emergency' 3rd PG

Mr. Body
07-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Need perimeter help far more. An effective shot-blocking C for this money is a total pipe dream.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Why the fuck didn't Gary sign here tbh? He'd give us shooting off the bench and would be a 'break in case of emergency' 3rd PG

He was the main reason we lost the finals tbh... where was Patty Mills?

Aztecfan03
07-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Whatever backup C they sign, isn't going to play, if they're healthy and not giving anyone a game off. West is probably strong/stout enough to get away with defending a lot of C's, but he can't fulfill the other primary responsibilities of one.

Considering the overall quality of the four bigs, even if one of Duncan, Diaw or West, was out a few weeks, I could see Pop essentially going to a 3 or at most 3 and 1/2 big rotation. That would be less likely if Aldridge were the one to go down, but still possible.
Duncan is going to get plenty of games off.

TD 21
07-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Duncan is going to get plenty of games off.

More than ever, probably, but every year this is overstated and I suspect this year will be no different.

In those games though, they'll probably just have Aldridge, Diaw and West, log the types of minutes they've averaged in recent seasons.

It's probably going to take a long term injury to one or more of the four rotation bigs, for the fifth to have a chance to log more than spot minutes.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-08-2015, 07:56 PM
More than ever, probably, but every year this is overstated and I suspect this year will be no different.

In those games though, they'll probably just have Aldridge, Diaw and West, log the types of minutes they've averaged in recent seasons.

It's probably going to take a long term injury to one or more of the four rotation bigs, for the fifth to have a chance to log more than spot minutes.
:lmao No lie I almost forgot Diaw was even on the team... should we consider trading him for a true C, since we don't need 4 power forwards?

jhfenton
07-08-2015, 07:58 PM
1. 3-pt shooting wing (SG/SF)
2. 3rd PG
3. Center/5th Big

Add in Bonner as the 6th Big, and you could be done for a while.

TD 21
07-08-2015, 08:03 PM
:lmao No lie I almost forgot Diaw was even on the team... should we consider trading him for a true C, since we don't need 4 power forwards?

No. Play making PF's, that are match-up proof, are both extremely rare and valuable.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-08-2015, 08:06 PM
No. Play making PF's, that are match-up proof, are both extremely rare and valuable.

Even if they sit on the end of the bench every game (barring a blowout) and make 7.5 million a year?

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Wing depth is more important at the moment. Spurs have a big rotation of Allstar and starter quality bigs.

dbestpro
07-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Need 1 true backup center, and one pg that know how to pass equally, please.

benefactor
07-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Wing.

TheGoldStandard
07-08-2015, 08:14 PM
2/3 combo guard would be nice

TheGoldStandard
07-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Doesn't Bazemore have a crazy wingspan too?

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Whoever you can find for minimal dollars. There's definitely a need for a shooter in the swingman rotation. Even with Green and Leonard at 60 minutes total a game you still have 36 more and at this point I'd not play Ginobili more than 20. You don't know if you can count on Anderson yet to help deal with that remaining 16. I'm guessing part of the conversation this summer for both Leonard and Green is to expect an uptick in their minutes next season, still, depth has its advantages.

As for the 4/5, Aldridge and West averaged 65 minutes a night while TD put in close to 30 and Diaw was at 25. At this point for the 5th big I think you're looking at someone NBA ready, maybe someone with experience, to occasionally work in 5 to 10 minutes here or there, be it in blowouts or what not.

Now that the dust has settled from the major free agency moves, the crucial question for the Spurs is how ready is Kyle Anderson? If he was ready for 15 minutes a night, then you look at perhaps keeping around Reggie Williams or some other prospect. I think the Spurs' interest in vets such the Butlers and Prince is very telling.

Given the way this offseason has played out, I think now's the part where it looks more like the Spur offseasons of past, and we end up with some been there, done that free agents to round out the bench at both spots.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2015, 08:26 PM
If Pop & RC can pull a rabbit out of the hat to eliminate a potential problem, it's in the 2/3 spot. You literally need someone with good range, average defense at best, who can give you between 10-15 minutes a night and then be phased out as the postseason approaches. Either that, or we're looking at Patty Mills playing some amount at the 2 next season.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-08-2015, 08:28 PM
If Pop & RC can pull a rabbit out of the hat to eliminate a potential problem, it's in the 2/3 spot. You literally need someone with good range, average defense at best, who can give you between 10-15 minutes a night and then be phased out as the postseason approaches. Either that, or we're looking at Patty Mills playing some amount at the 2 next season.
Count Anderson out. He couldn't shoot it even if the rim was a hula hoop

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Prince or one of the Butlers, most likely.

G-Dawgg
07-08-2015, 08:31 PM
I honestly think Reggie Williams is the type of player that the Spurs can convert into regular a rotation roleplayer. I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do. He's put up some decent numbers in his career before, and maybe he just needs to be given an opportunity.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2015, 08:33 PM
For the bigs I expect a boring name, be it a Nazr Mohammed type or a Matt Bonner. With the shooting touch of Aldridge and West being added to the rotation, I think they go more the Mohammed route, a banger with 6 fouls who is up for playing out the clock in blowouts and perhaps end of quarter situations if someone is in foul trouble.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Prince or one of the Butlers, most likely.

Prince and Caron can't shoot.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Beggars can't be choosers.

lmbebo
07-08-2015, 08:37 PM
I'd say a shooting 2/3 is 1st priority, followed up by PG then C. Truth is that the C won't get much burn with LMA/Duncan/West/Diaw.

Jeff Leppard
07-08-2015, 08:38 PM
3pt shooting
wing defense
pick n roll ball handler

jhfenton
07-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Even if they sit on the end of the bench every game (barring a blowout) and make 7.5 million a year?

What are you talking about? Diaw will not be sitting at the end of the bench. He'll be playing 20 minutes per game. And more on nights when Duncan rests.

benefactor
07-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Sure would be nice if they could talk the Hawks out of Bazemore in the Splitter trade.

TheGoldStandard
07-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Sure would be nice if they could talk the Hawks out of Bazemore in the Splitter trade.

6'3 with a 7' wingspan... Damn :wow

buttsR4rebounding
07-08-2015, 08:57 PM

If we could work a 3 way we might be able to get Anderson /Chalmers to take care of 2 of the 3 needs.

Raven
07-08-2015, 09:00 PM
a backup 1

tholdren
07-08-2015, 09:01 PM
need a perimeter player who can attack the basket.

Spurtacular
07-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Depends on the center vs. the wing; but I think the wing is more of a necessity. We already have the most stacked front court in the league.

Seventyniner
07-08-2015, 09:13 PM

The Spurs are going to be right up against the cap as it is, I don't think they can absorb salary in the Splitter trade and still have space for an Aldridge max. Unless Duncan takes an even bigger paycut, that is. Duncan at around $6.5M will take the Spurs right to the cap, then they'll sign Manu (room exception) and West (vet min).

benefactor
07-08-2015, 09:36 PM
The Spurs are going to be right up against the cap as it is, I don't think they can absorb salary in the Splitter trade and still have space for an Aldridge max. Unless Duncan takes an even bigger paycut, that is. Duncan at around $6.5M will take the Spurs right to the cap, then they'll sign Manu (room exception) and West (vet min).
Cap came in at 70 million. They could probably make it work if it came down to adding some quality depth. Bazemore's salary is only 2 million.

benefactor
07-08-2015, 09:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJb-Gh3UMAA2Fs6.png:large

Absorb Bazemore into one of those roster spots and you have $6,193,747 to pay Duncan. Works out perfect.

tholdren
07-08-2015, 10:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJb-Gh3UMAA2Fs6.png:large

Absorb Bazemore into one of those roster spots and you have $6,193,747 to pay Duncan. Works out perfect.
cool spreadsheet

Uriel
07-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Assuming Duncan's contract takes up the rest of our capspace, we'll be limited to offering only the minimum to prospective free agents. As such, there's no reason for us to prioritize either a 5 or a wing. We can only offer both the same amount of money anyway, so why not get both?

cutewizard
07-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Highly doubt we want Boozer now that we have West. Priority should be 1. 7 ft bruiser 2. project wing that can shoot 3's 3. 3rd string PG (either a vet or a high energy defensive guy).

this is what we need right now

may the good spirits of the universe provide, yes!

Nathan89
07-08-2015, 10:44 PM

6'3.75 without shoes so 6'5 with shoes. Still a nice wingspan though.

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2015, 11:49 PM

They lost Carroll & lack depth at the wing position (esp defenders) so no way they give him up.

Johnny RIngo
07-08-2015, 11:51 PM
wing player that can shoot

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2015, 11:52 PM

Still couldn't block Manu's game winner: 2towa2kOjbI

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2015, 11:53 PM
wing player that can shoot

There are a bunch of wing players that can shoot....it's just that most of them are below average defenders.

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2015, 11:58 PM
They lost Carroll & lack depth at the wing position (esp defenders) so no way they give him up.

They already have Korver/Thabo. They just signed Holiday and traded for Hardaway Jr. Both play SG and Schroder will play some minutes at SG as well.

SpursBig3s
07-08-2015, 11:59 PM
Doesn't Bazemore have a crazy wingspan too?

I've been intrigued w/ Bazemore I won't lie. We could do much worse

UNT Eagles 2016
07-09-2015, 12:02 AM
If we could work a 3 way we might be able to get Anderson /Chalmers to take care of 2 of the 3 needs.

And who takes care of the 3rd? I hear your mom has quality experience in that department, tbh...

(But seriously, no thanks to that hipster thug Birdman)

SpursBig3s
07-09-2015, 12:02 AM
For the bigs I expect a boring name, be it a Nazr Mohammed type or a Matt Bonner. With the shooting touch of Aldridge and West being added to the rotation, I think they go more the Mohammed route, a banger with 6 fouls who is up for playing out the clock in blowouts and perhaps end of quarter situations if someone is in foul trouble.

I wouldn't say no to Mohammed. Like I said about Bazemore, we could do alot worse

100%duncan
07-09-2015, 12:30 AM
Bazemore would be nice. But I doubt hes included in the trade

Obstructed_View
07-09-2015, 12:38 AM
At the 2 guard, I'd go with Dairis Bertans. He's got a huge motor and knows the Spurs game better than any domestics that might be available. Last year he shot 56% from two, 38% from three and 82% from the line. He's 6'4" and had four steals in yesterday's Summer League game. If you liked Belinelli, you'd like this guy.

But Bertans might warrant more than the minimum which the Spurs couldn't do.

I agree. Bertans looks like he could play a little of either guard position, which allows for interesting lineups as well. He's a pretty tenacious defender and makes good plays with his feet.

Is his buyout still 220k? Does that make a difference?

TD 21
07-09-2015, 05:46 PM

Diaw won't ''sit on the end of the bench every game''. He'll still be the first big off the bench. The difference is, he's went from the co second big to the clear third big and as such, he'll probably play five to seven less mpg.

rastaspur
07-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Pass on boozer. He is morally bankrupt imo. Reneging on a handshake deal with a blind man. Probably pissed in the seeing eye dogs face as he left the room to add insult to injury. Hate this dude. Still comes now where close to Karl Malone. That big ass Charlie pride wannabe better never step out into a street if I'm anywhere around. I will run his ass over without hesitating.

DAF86
07-09-2015, 06:06 PM
We are pretty thin on the wings, tbh. That should be the priority, preferrably a 6'7''/6'8'' guy.

admiralsnackbar
07-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Diaw won't ''sit on the end of the bench every game''. He'll still be the first big off the bench. The difference is, he's went from the co second big to the clear third big and as such, he'll probably play five to seven less mpg. Or Duncan will absorb that resting time and Diaw will be on the floor to enable West or Aldridge and generally play the role of Manu (assuming Manu will probably be playing far fewer minutes himself).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2015, 06:52 PM
We badly need another swing to cover Manu/KA. If Dorrell Wright is still out there, sign him up!

CGD
07-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Still not sure why LJC and Mulitunov wouldn't fit the bill tbqh

spurraider21
07-09-2015, 07:13 PM
starting point guard, tbh...

yavozerb
07-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Agree with some on combo 2/3 player being a need at this time. I can see Diaw playing more sf this season as well..

UNT Eagles 2016
07-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Diaw won't ''sit on the end of the bench every game''. He'll still be the first big off the bench. The difference is, he's went from the co second big to the clear third big and as such, he'll probably play five to seven less mpg.
Robert Horry role?

LMA = Tim
Tim = Rasho
Diaw = Horry
West = Nazr or Elson (obviously smaller though)

Kawhi = Manu
Green = Bowen
Manu = Barry or Finley
Mills = Parker
Parker = Vaughn or Udrih
Bonner = Bonner

Championship?

BillMc
07-11-2015, 05:43 PM

This is a really good point. I'd say 5 minutes less at max, but he's now going to be more of a true bench player.

TXstbobcat
07-11-2015, 05:54 PM
This is a really good point. I'd say 5 minutes less at max, but he's now going to be more of a true bench player. Isn't this a contract year for Bobo?

I like contract year Bobo!:hungry:

Bobo has 2 more fully guaranteed years and the year after that is a team option for 7.5 million

BillMc
07-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Bobo has 2 more fully guaranteed years and the year after that is a team option for 7.5 million

Yep, you're right. I screwed up.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Still not sure why LJC and Mulitunov wouldn't fit the bill tbqh

Starters
3 Leonard
4 Aldridge
5 Duncan

Bench
3 Anderson
4 Diaw
4 West
5 Marjanovic

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2015, 05:57 PM
And, lux tax.

TXstbobcat
07-11-2015, 06:26 PM
This is a really good point. I'd say 5 minutes less at max, but he's now going to be more of a true bench player.

Bobo has been my favorite spurs bench player the past few years. I have to get a Diaw jersey this year!

dabom
07-11-2015, 06:29 PM
starting point guard, tbh...

I don't know why the font is blue.

TheCerebral1
07-11-2015, 06:30 PM
KJ McDaniels, make it happen RC.

BillMc
07-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Bobo has been my favorite spurs bench player the past few years. I have to get a Diaw jersey this year!

Yeah, I like Bobo a lot. His big game 6 against OKC in 2014, then his pass to Splitter in the Finals. All things of beauty.