PDA

View Full Version : Excellent article by Mark Steyn

The Ressurrected One
09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Bush kept his head and the danger's passed (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/09/13/do1302.xml)

I'll give you the ending:

These days, the Republicans are the party of small government and the party of big government, and the party of all points in between. The Democrats, meanwhile, are the party of emotive know-nothings, the go-to guys for soap-operatic sobbing and righteous histrionics. You can understand why the 24-hour cable-news networks love the Dems. Just stick a camera in front of New Orleans's Mayor Nagin: "To those who would criticise, where the hell were you?" he roared the other day. "Where the hell were you?" In a town you're not the mayor of, happily. That's how most Americans react. But the media think, wow, this is great television, he really socks it to Bush. And, if life were an especially bad daytime soap, he would. But ask Democrats for specifics and they're either as blank as Mrs Pelosi or as mired in their ancient tropes as Jesse Jackson, who demanded Bush appoint more high-ranking blacks to the hurricane relief effort. Charges of Republican "racism" rang particularly hollow in the context of New Orleans, where sodden blacks might be better advised to ponder what they have to show for being a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Democratic Party for four decades.

Unlike other dead horses flogged by the media - Cindy Sheehan, torture at Guantanamo, etc - this was at one point a real story: an actual hurricane, people dying, things going wrong. But that wasn't good enough, and the more they tossed in to damage Bush, the more they drowned any real controversy in the usual dreary pseudo-controversy. After watching Democrat Senator Mary Landrieu threatening to punch out the President, a reader e-mailed me Kipling: "If you can keep your head when all about you/Are losing theirs and blaming it on you."

That's all Bush had to do. The storm has passed.

hussker
09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Bush kept his head and the danger's passed (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/09/13/do1302.xml)

I'll give you the ending:

SWEET!
By the way, I would agree if the shoe were on the other side of the aisle as well, just so no one accuses me of partisan politics here. I cannot wait to see the profanity...uh, gray matter hole plugging...this begets!