PDA

View Full Version : Lukewarm Takes

Ghost Writer
07-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Hello again, everyone.

Work, family, social media (Twitter: Chris_Rinaldi) and craft beer has taken me away from this beloved Forum, but I still remember you all fondly and admire you for keeping the torch burning in the name of the Spurs. Cheers to you all.

Some random thoughts, questions and feelings:

1. Still not over that Ray Allen 3 in 2013

2. 2014 Final win was my proudest moment as a Spurs fan

3. I'm pretty effin' bitter about the loss to the Clippers in 2015
- The Spurs blew not facing LAC in the first round at the close of the regular season
- It took a terrible call on Duncan and an absurd CP3 shot to knock off the Spurs in the waning moments of a Game 7 on the road
- I was talking smack and disrespecting the Warriors all season long, knowing in my heart and mind that they could not deal with the Spurs down low and that SAS had the perimeter D to slow down the Splash Bros.
- The Spurs would've destroyed the Cavs in the Finals

4. The Warriors "won" the Spurs title in 2015 and will never win a title again for the foreseeable future... and I believed this BEFORE the Spurs' splashy moves

5. Did the Spurs relationship with Coach Mike B of the Hawks help in the Splitter trade to the Atlanta Hawks?

6. Interested to see how Pop rations out the minutes and runs offense with the big frontcourt of Duncan-Aldridge-West

7. If there is one weakness on the Spurs now, it might be at the 2 guard; hoping someone emerges to take pressure off the hot-and-not Green and mercurial Manu

8. Patty Mills is my current favorite Spur; his contributions during the past two playoffs have been outstanding and he helped lure LA to SA based on their past in Portland (plus, Mills won me my only FanDuel on a last-minute 3 and offensive rebound this past season)

9. Does the arrival of Aldridge mean we get at least 4 more seasons of Pop or is he still retiring when Duncan does?

10. Who do we think is the heir apparent to Pop?

11. I am intrigued by Ime Udoka -- how did a bit player on the Spurs long bench become a tenured assistant coach?

12. Not worried about chemistry this season, but very curious about roles -- how do we establish LA and Leonard as the "now" with respect to the deserving Big 3 veterans AND ensure the Spurs are winning in the process?

Thanks for you thoughtful consideration.

TimDunkem
07-09-2015, 11:57 AM
:bobo

Dex
07-09-2015, 11:57 AM
First timvp, then Bruno, now GW?

http://img.pandawhale.com/31543-Robin-Williams-what-year-is-it-TaCE.jpeg

Mr. Body
07-09-2015, 11:58 AM
6. I can see some cross-matching with the units, with Aldridge playing with Diaw and Duncan playing with West. Those pairings seem to work as well as the standard 1st unit/2nd unit pairings.

7. Also worried about the SG, but also backup SF. I want to believe in Kyle Anderson but don't. The SG position is historically bad in the NBA right now. It will become an even bigger concern once Manu's gone.

Ghost Writer
07-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Oh, also, Kawhi Leonard needs to lose those played-out cornrows.

Mr. Body
07-09-2015, 12:00 PM

No! Fuck you!

Splits
07-09-2015, 12:01 PM
WB. As to 9:

Dex
07-09-2015, 12:01 PM

I don't think anyone would recognize him without them.

SupremeGuy
07-09-2015, 12:02 PM
We weren't going to win last year as long as Pop kept starting and giving heavy minutes to TP. He absolutely sucked dick on both ends of the court. Too much of a handicap for our team.

honestfool84
Most importantly... What number with LaMarcus Aldridge wear on his jersey?

SupremeGuy
Oh, also, Kawhi Leonard needs to lose those played-out cornrows.Yeah, he really does.

Ghost Writer
Is mouse still alive?

NASpurs
07-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Is mouse still alive?

Yeah you'll find him in the evolution and religion threads in the Club :lol

Ghost Writer
07-09-2015, 12:08 PM
We weren't going to win last year as long as Pop kept starting and giving heavy minutes to TP. He absolutely sucked dick on both ends of the court. Too much of a handicap for our team.

I like where this guy's head is at.

hater
07-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Still hurts :cry

TimDunkem
07-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Oh, also, Kawhi Leonard needs to lose those played-out cornrows. Noooo. They hold all his power.

MI21
07-09-2015, 12:13 PM
TP2 < Chris Whitney

FuzzyLumpkins
07-09-2015, 02:47 PM
13: weak list of weak takes

travis2
07-09-2015, 07:51 PM
First timvp, then Bruno, now GW?

http://img.pandawhale.com/31543-Robin-Williams-what-year-is-it-TaCE.jpeg

What he said...

TXstbobcat
07-09-2015, 07:55 PM

LMA will wear #12.

Leetonidas
07-09-2015, 07:59 PM
:sleep

smackdaddy11
07-09-2015, 09:24 PM

:bang

10 years ago, you would have traded any Spur sans Duncan for a player who's only asset was cornrows.

Now we have the one type player you would have rubbed one out nightly for and you're baggin' on him. :rolleyes

Glad to see so many old folks. Finally some entertaining reading.

Spur|n|Austin
07-09-2015, 09:33 PM

benefactor
07-09-2015, 09:34 PM
OP is a faggot

hyhy
07-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Wow. If OP spends 1 min per post, thats 2 whole years of typing to get that amount of posts..

phxspurfan
07-09-2015, 09:48 PM

But he'll still slide a foot under Ray Allen

Blake
07-09-2015, 09:56 PM
11. I am intrigued by Ime Udoka -- how did a bit player on the Spurs long bench become a tenured assistant coach?

+100 on the intrigue.

The only thing i can figure is that he wants someone like Udoka to back him in a bar fight. No joke.

Dancelot
07-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Agreed, Kawhi would like pretty awesome with a Ben Wallace afro.

milkyway21
07-10-2015, 03:17 AM
Hello again, everyone.

Work, family, social media (Twitter: Chris_Rinaldi) and craft beer has taken me away from this beloved Forum, but I still remember you all fondly and admire you for keeping the torch burning in the name of the Spurs. Cheers to you all.

- The Spurs blew not facing LAC in the first round at the close of the regular season
- It took a terrible call on Duncan and an absurd CP3 shot to knock off the Spurs in the waning moments of a Game 7 on the road
- I was talking smack and disrespecting the Warriors all season long, knowing in my heart and mind that they could not deal with the Spurs down low and that SAS had the perimeter D to slow down the Splash Bros.

4. The Warriors "won" the Spurs title in 2015 and will never win a title again for the foreseeable future... and I believed this BEFORE the Spurs' splashy moves

5. Did the Spurs relationship with Coach Mike B of the Hawks help in the Splitter trade to the Atlanta Hawks?

6. Interested to see how Pop rations out the minutes and runs offense with the big frontcourt of Duncan-Aldridge-West

7. If there is one weakness on the Spurs now, it might be at the 2 guard; hoping someone emerges to take pressure off the hot-and-not Green and mercurial Manu

8. Patty Mills is my current favorite Spur; his contributions during the past two playoffs have been outstanding and he helped lure LA to SA based on their past in Portland (plus, Mills won me my only FanDuel on a last-minute 3 and offensive rebound this past season)

9. Does the arrival of Aldridge mean we get at least 4 more seasons of Pop or is he still retiring when Duncan does?

12. Not worried about chemistry this season, but very curious about roles -- how do we establish LA and Leonard as the "now" with respect to the deserving Big 3 veterans AND ensure the Spurs are winning in the process?

:lobt2:

Spurtacular
07-10-2015, 05:20 AM
Hello again, everyone.

Work, family, social media (Twitter: Chris (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1656)_Rinaldi) and craft beer has taken me away from this beloved Forum, but I still remember you all fondly and admire you for keeping the torch burning in the name of the Spurs. Cheers to you all.

1. It's not the Ray Allen three that kills me as much as taking Duncan out on the last two defensive possessions (in addition to the missed free throws). I mean, who was supposed to get the boards? And how is anyone supposed to be a better defender on the perimeter if you're just guarding the three line and need length on a pick and pop (and you're willing to concede a drive to the basket)?

2. 2014 Spurs are best team in a generation. It's a shame they didn't get the back to back on either end of it.

3A. Yea, I was annoyed about the first round match-up with the Clips. Still, when we had a close-out game in SA I was feeling good. We played terribly in our last two games at home in the playoffs. When was the last time that ever happened?

3B. Warriors had a great regular season run; but I could tell they were beating scrub teams who weren't equipped to win an open style in which the refs call games tighter. I knew we'd almost certainly win a knockdown-drag out series against the Warriors. It's a shame that not only did we not get to prove that; but they skated by playing nobody of significance. Now, you have guys like Draymond Green and Oakland fans thinking this guy is so great when he's really...I dunno. I want to give him his due. But let's just say I know where Stephen Jackson is coming from when he calls him a soft tough guy or wanna-be tough guy or whatever he called him. That said, Green is a versatile defender.

4. Warriors are contenders and I won't say never again. But I'll say there window is probably pretty small to win again.

5. ...

6. Interesting to see how Aldridge and West mix in the system. Will they be willing to play Spurs ball?

7. I don't consider D Green a weakness except when he's not shooting with confidence. His three confidence had been there for like three years 'til the Clippers playoff series. Something changed. I don't want to classify this as weaknesses at this point, but my three biggest concerns at the moment are:

- Parker. He needs to be in shape. And if not, he needs to not play hero ball like he did last year.
- No credible back-up at the 3 for Kawhi. Of course, a lot of teams don't have great 3's for starters let alone back-ups. I was hoping the Spurs would sign Pierce on the cheap. And instead, the freaking Clippers signed him.
- A center that can bang for up to 20 minutes a game whenever needed. This is a luxury that we can probably do without. But I think it'll help.

8. I still don't understand the talk of trading Mills when he's signed for dirt cheap by NBA standards (for how good he is). Really, I don't understand why LMA didn't take a little less on his first year to keep Mills and re-sign Cojo. If he's serious about winning championships like he says, then that was a no-brainer to me.

9. Pop will coach for at least two more seasons, I believe. No use in speculating beyond that, imo.

10. ...

11. Udoka is probably nothing special. But certainly working under Pop will have helped.

12. The way I see the Spurs is, always take advantage of Leonard whenever he's hot. Yea, he may never be the consistent offensive force people want him to be (or he may be); but you'll notice that when he heats up, he heats up fast and just like that the Spurs are up 20 and then 30 and not looking back. I've seen that happen time and time again.