PDA

View Full Version : Republican leadership moves to avoid opportunity for rank and file to sound racist-er

RandomGuy
07-09-2015, 12:14 PM
House GOP cancels vote to avoid dealing with Confederate flag

Oh, my. It seems House Republican leaders really don't want their members going on the record about the Confederate flag. It didn't take long after Republicans proposed an amendment that would have overturned Confederate flag bans in federal cemeteries and national park gift shops for their leadership to cancel a vote on the entire Interior Department appropriations bill the amendment would have been attached to:

This has been quite a whirlwind of backtracking. The Democratic amendment banning the flag in federal cemeteries and national park gift shops had been approved on a voice vote after little debate on Tuesday—something that wouldn't have happened without permission from Speaker John Boehner. Let's just say that under his leadership, not many Democratic amendments on controversial issues have gotten through the House quite that quickly. Then some pro-Confederate Republicans realized what had happened and objected, and a Republican amendment overturning the flag ban was quickly introduced, with Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA), who offered the amendment, claiming it was "brought to me by leadership at request of some southern members of Republican caucus." Only then leadership canceled the vote. Did they think no one would notice a Republican pro-Confederate flag vote in the U.S. House on the day that South Carolina's legislature voted for the state's Confederate flag to come down?

"I actually think it's time for some adults here in the Congress to actually sit down and have a conversation about how to address this issue," Boehner said Thursday morning. "I do not want this to become some political football. It should not." It shouldn't be a political football—but it shouldn't be a conversation, either. The answer is clear, and was passed on that voice vote on Tuesday, and any backtracking from a ban on Confederate flags being honored in any way on United States property is an outrage.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/07/09/1400718/-House-GOP-cancels-appropriations-vote-to-avoid-dealing-with-Confederate-flag

Translation: " I want a chance to talk to the crazies in my party before the vote, to keep them from saying stupid things".

:lol

DarrinS
07-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Oh, it's another "dog whistle" thread

DarrinS
07-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Lol, dailykos

boutons_deux
07-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Lol, dailykos

dailykos simply REPORTING about the Repugs hiding their dog-whistling racism, a fundamental, current part of their Southern Strategy.

DarrinS, :lol

Spurminator
07-09-2015, 12:28 PM
It's a distracting wedge issue at this point, which is probably the point.

boutons_deux
07-09-2015, 12:35 PM
It's a distracting wedge issue at this point, which is probably the point.

yep, Repugs have nothing but many OTHER wedge issues to inflame, dumb down their base with. Wedge issues are, have been, the Repug strategy for 35+ years.

Letting racist Congressional Repugs vote up the racist rebel flag on Union sites would hurt their nominal,half-assed reachout to non-racist voters.

Trill Clinton
07-09-2015, 12:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZrrvirBjxE

much respect to jenny horne for this speech. her acknowledging her black friends feelings toward that shitty flag was important. we need more rethuglicans like jenny.

boutons_deux
07-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Turned Back With Heavy Casualties

http://a5.img.talkingpointsmemo.com/image/upload/c_fill,fl_keep_iptc,g_faces,h_365,w_652/fv6qhl6nuvn9laocdvhj.jpg

Not sure I've this abject and rapid a defeat for Confederate flag supporters (http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/house-cancels-vote-confederate-flag) since Pickett's Charge.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/turned-back-with-heavy-casualties?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tpm-news+%28TPMNews%29

FuzzyLumpkins
07-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Lol, dailykos

So says the guy who plagiarises oilco think tanks and doesn't reference them as a matter of course. at least there there is a direct and obvious conflict of interest there. You have zero qualms about that though, sophist. Both sides of your hypocrisy lack integrity.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-09-2015, 02:42 PM
Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) called for “adults here in the Congress to actually sit down and have a conversation” about the flag in the coming weeks.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/gop-house-confederate-flag-cemeteries-119892.html#ixzz3fQPaecfB

Several Republicans privately vowed to get the issue resolved, and asserted that Democrats were trying to make Republican lawmakers look like racists. A GOP leadership aide described the Calvert amendment as a technical measure that would “attempt to codify the Obama administration’s own directive to our national cemeteries.”

But Pelosi pounced. She offered a “privileged motion” — allowing for quick rapid consideration on the floor — that would strip the Capitol of all signs of the Confederate flag, unless it hanged in the office of an individual member.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) responded by forcing a vote on sending the issue to committee, at which point Pelosi and other Democrats broke out in protest, and resorted to casting paper ballots to drag out the debate.

McCarthy prevailed on that vote, but Republicans know they’ve lost the political battle for now. Rep. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho) said he wants the Southerners who demanded the vote to speak out.
“We’ve put our heads [out] like a pumpkin on a stick and given [Democrats] a baseball bat,” said Rep. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho), a member of the Appropriations Committee.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/gop-house-confederate-flag-cemeteries-119892.html#ixzz3fQQ7UA6Z

boutons_deux
07-09-2015, 02:48 PM
“We’ve put our heads [out] like a pumpkin on a stick and given [Democrats] a baseball bat,”

... quite colorful coming from an ag state.

https://www.directhealthofidaho.com/wwwroot/userfiles/images/pumpkinpatch1.jpg

... but the analogy breaks down since pumpkins have more brains than Repugs.

DarrinS
07-09-2015, 04:55 PM
So says the guy who plagiarises oilco think tanks and doesn't reference them as a matter of course. at least there there is a direct and obvious conflict of interest there. You have zero qualms about that though, sophist. Both sides of your hypocrisy lack integrity.

You make the claim -- your burden of proof. Link? Otherwise, fuck off

TheSanityAnnex
07-09-2015, 05:01 PM
:cry lost fan club status :cry

FuzzyLumpkins
07-09-2015, 05:13 PM

As if this hasn't been hashed out and demonstrated hundreds of times by this point. You claimed something from the GPTT was from BEST. Taking your posts from the climate thread and searching for the think tank you stole the idea from is a favorite past time of several people.

I'm not here to convince you. We have had this conversation before as well. Someone other than the Stormfront/TSA troll brigade questions it would be one thing. You are a lying piece of shit otoh.

TheSanityAnnex
07-09-2015, 05:49 PM
As if this hasn't been hashed out and demonstrated hundreds of times by this point. You claimed something from the GPTT was from BEST. Taking your posts from the climate thread and searching for the think tank you stole the idea from is a favorite past time of several people.

I'm not here to convince you. We have had this conversation before as well. Someone other than the Stormfront/TSA troll brigade questions it would be one thing. You are a lying piece of shit otoh.

You can't help clicking the button to read the "ignored" post so I will take this moment to call you a colossal faggot.

DarrinS
07-09-2015, 06:25 PM

So you lied that I plagiarized

DarrinS
07-09-2015, 06:26 PM
:cry lost fan club status :cry

:lol

FuzzyLumpkins
07-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Reps from gerrymandered districts are jeopardizing the prospects of GOP incumbents in non-electioneered states. They complained to the leadership and that is what got it pulled. This is just another wedge in the divide that is happening in the GOP. The tea party caucus undermined Boehner's authority by procedurally reversing his punishment of a member. They want to take over the party but with the amendments in FL and the districting committees and agencies being formed their power is bound to ebb.