PDA

View Full Version : Beno has knee injury????

Spurs Biggest Fan
09-12-2005, 11:02 PM
http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1083

(Won't let me cut and paste the paragraph so you'll have to scroll down)

Anyone heard anything about the injury?

Please delete if already posted.

thanks.

Marcus Bryant
09-12-2005, 11:18 PM
No wonder the Spurs were looking for another decent point guard this summer.

I'm glad the Spurs let a young perimeter player go to save Holt Cat some $.

Slo spurs fan
09-12-2005, 11:23 PM
No wonder the Spurs were looking for another decent point guard this summer.

I'm glad the Spurs let a young perimeter player go to save Holt Cat some $.
:rolleyes

genghisrex
09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
A recent injury has put Udrih’s chances of participating at the Eurobasket tournament in Belgrade in question. He suffered a knee injury in a preparation and will be monitored closely by Slovenia’s medical staff to evaluate his progress and determine whether he will be able to participate. Udrih will be undergoing Physiotherapy over the next few days in the meantime.

T Park
09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
lol typical Cryant.

Uses a topic totally different from this to state his idiotic biased opinion.

Kori Ellis
09-12-2005, 11:30 PM
We've been talking about this for two days.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22936&page=16&pp=26

Marcus Bryant
09-12-2005, 11:35 PM
lol typical Cryant.

Uses a topic totally different from this to state his idiotic biased opinion.

Yeah, how dare I post a "biased opinion".

Any more gems?

coopdogg3
09-13-2005, 12:13 AM
If they would have used Devin Brown to back-up Beno (which is why we have NVE and Barry can even play a few mins at PG), then you would be hearing some angry posts from me. Plus the injury, from what I've heard, doesn't appear to be serious. But don't let that stop you from blasting RC for not over-paying our 12th man.

coopdogg3

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 12:15 AM
What good is Beno if he's ineffective?

The Spurs only have 4 swings as it is, but don't let facts snuff out your flames.

T Park
09-13-2005, 12:35 AM
how dare I post a "biased opinion

when its an opinion that is a beaten horse that is no more than fuckin dust then yeah, it is a "how dare you"

The Spurs only have 4 swings as it is

and signing a 2.5 million dollar player who would be a 13th man "Makes sense"

You could be a senator.

coopdogg3
09-13-2005, 12:47 AM
So an uninjured Beno is ineffective?? From what I've read he is back to practive and should be fine by November. Again, we have plenty of depth, maybe too much depth. But lets just take a hypothetical look at minutes played and see where Devin Brown could fit. A total of 144 minutes at the 1-2-3 spots.

Parker - played 34 mins last year, lets put him at 30 to keep him fresh - 30
Manu - played about 30 mins last year, high-octane style needs rest - 28
Bruce Bowen - player 32 mins last year, getting older, go with 28 - 28

that is a total of 86 mins, which leaves 58 minutes for Barry, Finley and NVE

give NVE 18-20 mins
give Fin 25 mins
leaves 13-15 mins for Barry.

So losing Beno would not really pose a problem at all. In fact if we lost a second starter it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I think NVE could easily handle 20-25 mins, Fin could go 25-30 and maybe 20-25 mins for Barry if we had too. Plus we make pick up some scrub (Melvin Sanders maybe??) that throws in 5-7 mins.

In other words, Devin Brown is very much a luxury and not a necessity. IMO a luxury not worth $5 mil, especially with the health issues. This team is quite capable of handling injuries to 2 players in the back-court, at least that's my opinion.

Guess these aren't facts, but I think it demonstrates that the Spurs have a very good, very deep team. Simply doesn't leave room to let Devin Brown shine.

coopdogg3

PS Marcus, I disagree very much over your opinion of Devin Brown, but after visiting the Mavericks boards and listening to them rationalize losing Finley, I am very glad to be in this position. :) And listening to those Pacer's fans. Wow. All I can say is, your defense of San Antonio's players is admirable. Don't stop. Even though we are on opposite sides of the fence on this issue.

TDMVPDPOY
09-13-2005, 03:26 AM
bbbbbbb-unit

angel_luv
09-13-2005, 07:20 AM
From what I've read there is good and bad news.
Beno is going to be fine but unfortunately not in enough time to compete with Slovenia in their upcoming tournament.

fonzy16
09-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Beno stay home
- a decision by slovenian head coach Pipan is that Benoo is to ijured to play and will not go to EC, according to slovenian news http://24ur.com/naslovnica/novice/s...913_3060976.php

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 09:06 AM
when its an opinion that is a beaten horse that is no more than fuckin dust then yeah, it is a "how dare you"

I'll post what I want, Stay Puff.

and signing a 2.5 million dollar player who would be a 13th man "Makes sense"

You could be a senator.

When you only have 4 wings and a number of players in your swingman rotation and a significant number of them are old and/or under 1 year deals, then yeah, motherfucker, it makes plenty of sense, at least to those of us who are basketball fans and not Peter Holt cock worshippers.

BTW, the Spurs have had end of the bench players who cost a tad bit more than $2.5 mil in salary for a season.

PS...why are you still here you little bitch? Seriously. You gave up on this team during the NBA Finals and now you are up in here acting like you are still a fan. Fuck you. You are the lowest form of "fan" there is. Just go.

Solid D
09-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Some people need post-Devin counseling, and that's okay. Some people also needed post-Malik counseling. The pains of financial responsibility can run deep. I guess we'll see how smart it was to let Devin walk...in June.

Get healthy "John Boy" Udrih! Now you will have a better recovery time for training camp.
http://www.the-waltons.com/graphics/homecom2.jpg

Solid D
09-13-2005, 09:40 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/beno_udrih.jpg

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-13-2005, 10:02 AM
To get an idea how deep the Spurs are this season:

In the case that both Beno and Tony go down with injuries, NVE would be the point guard, with the posibility of Barry or even Manu playing back-up point, with Bruce and Finley taking the 2 & 3 spots in those minutes. Maybe the only position to be filled is a back-up SF if you think that Pop won't play Finley there.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 10:11 AM
If both go down with injuries then you have a 57 year old NVE with a bum knee logging 30 minutes a night.

No thanks.

coopdogg3
09-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Well Brent Barry played 20 mins last year, Manu could play 10 mins at PG, and that leaves 18 mins for NVE at point. Obviously you could play with these numbers a little. I'm sure NVE can handle 20-25 mins for a short term situation. My question is what do we do with all of these players if we don't have a major injury. We seem to have too many players with too few min IMO, unless we have some major injuries, God forbid.

coopdogg3

samikeyp
09-13-2005, 10:27 AM
"John-boy Udrih" :lmao :lmao

classic.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Of course, Spur players never get injured, so having a capable reserve swingman on the bench at the price of slightly more than the minimum is a luxury that Holt Cat's grandkids cannot afford.

coopdogg3
09-13-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't know what you mean by "slightly more". Guess we are gonna argue semantics. $2.5 million I would call quite a bit more than the minimum since its more than 2x what the minimum is. But since it would have cost Holt $5 million to sign him with the luxury tax, I would call that a great deal more than the minimum. Especially for an unproven player (who did show some promise) with injury concerns.

And I think we have demonstrated that this team can easily handle two major injuries in our front court, and still field a great team. How many teams can say that? What if no one gets injured? Would you want to pay $5 million to give Devin maybe 2-3 mins a night? Even with the serious injuries you may only be able to sneak him maybe 5-10 mins. This team is so insanely deep, I really don't understand your concern. The Spurs can find players with all the potential and promise of Devin for the minimum, or at least I have blind faith in the Spur's ability to find those type of players.

coopdogg3

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 10:50 AM
The Spurs have spent more than that for end of the bench players over the course of a season or two.

Again, it's not like Finley and NVE are locked up long term nor is Brent Barry not fast approaching his 35th birthday. It's not about next season it's about the next 3. Your swingman rotation is old. It's not like the Spurs have always been able to replenish their perimeter with young talent.

Losing Brown over relatively minor $ (by NBA standards) was a bad basketball move.

Walton Buys Off Me
09-13-2005, 10:57 AM
You know, I'm not too popular in here and that's fine. Most of that is by design anyways. But only an idiot would be complaining about losing a third-string, undersized shooting guard with history of nerve damage in an offseason that witnessed the Spurs acquire both Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley. I mean that just redefines retarded in my opinion. Not only that, but we add possibly the best available big man in Europe, Fabricio Oberto and resign Robert Horry but somehow losing Devin Brown is an issue?!

The Spurs increased their payroll by over 15 million dollars- after winning a championship and have spent more than 130 million dollars in two summers alone, securing a young, talented nucleus and this jagoff is complaining about losing Devin Brown and Holt being cheap...?

Get a fucking clue you total waste of carbon...........

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Yeah, Holt's being cheap and for someone who claims to be a fan you would think he would be pissed about the team losing talent for nothing and to make ownership's pockets fatter.

It was a shitty basketball move.

As for payroll, so fucking what? Plenty of teams in this league make that level of commitment. It's nothing special.

The Spurs have an opportunity to win multiple championships over the course of the next few seasons. Now is not the time for ownership to step in and start fucking things up.

Recognize, you dumb boorish bitch.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Lest we forget that the basketball people in the organization have had to force Holt Cat to stop sucking all of the cash out of the organization before. Last summer Pop went to the public when it looked like Parker would not be extended. When has Pop ever done that before or since?

Pop and RC clearly did not want to lose Brown. They took the entire week they had to respond to Utah's contract offer by trying to trade Brent Barry. Now, if Pop thinks that he'd prefer Brown over Barry that should give you some concern about what transpired.

That is, unless you care about something other than basketball, like slurping down what Holt Cat's nuts have to offer.

coopdogg3
09-13-2005, 11:38 AM
I think the offering of Barry was also a purely financial consideration. With Finley (at $2.75 million) probably taking a lot of Barry's minutes (at around $5 million), it makes more sense to trade Barry. Nothing happened. Guess they figured it didn't pay to have Devin Brown (at $5 million) to back-up Barry (at $5 million) to back up Finely (at 2.75 million) to back-up our starting rotation. So to stop the madness, they let Devin go.

Again, I don't know why you keep coming back to losing Devin Brown for nothing. It wasn't like they were offered a trade that they refused. No team was willing to trade for him, one team was willing to offer Brown a contract that the Spurs didn't want to match due to the luxury tax. Spurs had to choose between over-paying their 12th man who has injury concerns, or letting him go. They chose the fiscally responsible path (I guess you would call it the cheap path, but I disagree) and they let him go to a team where he could actually get some sort of meaningful minutes. Unless this team just gets absolutely racked with injuries, I don't see how Devin could have played any meaningful time here.

coopdogg3

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 11:43 AM
It is the cheap path. It's clear that RC and Pop preferred Brown over Barry. Now you have a player worthy of that consideration by the basketball people who ownership says you can't have over chump change.

Fans don't support the Spurs to see them make as much $ as possible. They support them to pursue championships. Losing talent to squeeze out a few more measly bucks sucks, at least if you're a fan.

I could give 2 flips about how much $ Holt Cat makes. If the current ownership group can't handle paying for a team that has won 2 titles in 3 seasons with the prospect of more on the way, then it's time for a new ownership group.

coopdogg3
09-13-2005, 12:00 PM
I enjoy rooting for a team that just can't throw money at every situation to meet every need. I like watching a FO bring in young, cheap, promising players instead of just throwing money around at every player. I would hate to be a Yankees, Knicks, or Mavericks (at least the Mavericks of 2-3 years ago) fan. There is no skill or fun in that as far as I am concerned. People are fans for different reasons I suppose.

I want the owners of the teams I root for to make $. Don't know if that makes me any less of a fan. But when owners get carried away and stop caring about what players cost, they end up in painful situations. Like the Knicks, or having to use the amnesty clause to get rid of players, or having strikes and lock-outs because owners have invested to much in guaranteed contracts to players who aren't producing. Because the Spurs are fiscally responsible, they have been able to capitalize on other teams mistakes. Because our basketball people have a great reputation, other players want to play here. I think they have worked well together. Guess time will tell of course.

coopdogg3

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Win championships and the $ will take care of itself.

Again, it's been the basketball people in San Antonio who are responsible for the Spurs' success. Citing a couple of spendthrift organizations in the league is irrelevant. The Knicks have made a host of bad basketball decisions. Their excessive spending only magnifies those mistakes.

Losing Devin Brown over a 1 year, $2.5 million contract was a bad basketball decision, one precipiated by a concern for something other than what was best for the team.

And yes, I could care less if the team makes $25 mil instead of $30 mil. Cheer for whatever you like, but as a fan I'd say your priorities are off.

Dario
09-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Well i believe its also best for devin to play and not sit back and enjoy the ride like that australian guy did last year. If he wants to make any serious cash or impact he needs to play while he is still young. I dont see him playing that much on the spurs.

Kori Ellis
09-13-2005, 01:14 PM
... question on the original topic ...

So Beno isn't playing in the Euro tournament? Is he being sent back to San Antonio?

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 01:14 PM
It was one season. After that year he would have been an unrestricted free agent and free to sign with any team that offered him what he wanted.

One year for $2.5 mil, I might add. I could understand the acceptance in the forum of losing Brown if it was a 4, 5 or 6 season commitment but it was for one season.

Plus, let's not forget that the Spurs don't even pay the full cost of their payroll, thanks to the lux tax program.

Ozzy
09-13-2005, 01:41 PM
... question on the original topic ...

So Beno isn't playing in the Euro tournament? Is he being sent back to San Antonio?

According to the report of the biggest Slovenian comercial TV station (POP TV) Beno is already on the way to San Antonio. (but don't take this for granted, please)

The meber of the staff (I think it was the official doctor of the team, not sure) said that Beno has stretched knee ligaments and that meniscus was also slightly damaged. Beno will have to take a three to four wekks rest to heal the injury.

They could risk to take Beno to the EC, but that could possibly ruin the rest of his season. So they (logically) decided to cut him of the roster for the EC

Solid D
09-13-2005, 01:44 PM
According to the report of the biggest Slovenian comercial TV station (POP TV) Beno is already on the way to San Antonio.

:spin

SLOVENIAN 8
09-13-2005, 03:03 PM
http://sportal.siol.net/default.asp?article_id=10041030509132053170

Beno si bo moral vzeti čas

Bivšega člana Maccabija, Olimpije, … sedaj čaka srečanje s klubskimi zdravniki, ki ga bodo vzeli pod svoje okrilje. "Beno je nadaljeval pot v Ameriko, kjer bo ponovno opravil magnetno resonanco, nato pa se bodo klubski zdravniki odločili za konzervativno zdravljenje, torej brez operacije. Takšne poškodbe so lahko v prihodnosti tudi moteče za igralce, vendar se jih da v celoti pozdraviti, če igralec posveti dovolj časa za rehabilitacijo, oziroma celjenje rane," je še za konec povedal Macura.

There says that Beno is coming to San Antoniu to meet with club doctor and then they will see how to fix the injury. Also says that this kind of injury can be very anoyig for the rest of his life but also could be fix without any problems if player took enough time for rehabilitation.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 03:05 PM
So now we have 4 swingmen and a young guard who might not be useful. Great. Go Spurs Go!

ducks
09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
yep the spurs are going to the top of the league

boutons
09-13-2005, 03:16 PM
"stretched knee ligaments and that meniscus was also slightly damaged"

sonofabitch, not a just a knee bruise or a muscle bruise, as I was expecting.

only 3,4 weeks for stretched ligaments? hmmm...

Nick's arthritis better behave itself.

picnroll
09-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Have I mentioned how much I think playing international ball for your country sucks?

ducks
09-13-2005, 03:33 PM
now beno is not tradeable
especially to the nets!

SLOVENIAN 8
09-13-2005, 03:35 PM
I must mentioned that Beno after his fall and injury on that game he still play later on this game on his own decision. So i think that this injury is not so bad......

Kori Ellis
09-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Well hopefully Beno's treatment is precautionary. Last summer when he got hurt in some game for Slovenia, they said strained knee ligaments too, I believe. But he didn't need much treatment upon his return to S.A.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Weren't there some knee injury concerns when the Spurs drafted him? Granted he looked durable enough in the NBA but still. It's not a huge blow to the Spurs if they let it heal properly. I don't think Nick's going to completely burn himself out if he has to be the primary back up for a little while at the start of the year.

Solid D
09-13-2005, 04:05 PM
I guess everyone has their roles in this forum.

Posted 2 weeks ago, the day Pop announced that Nick Van Exel was in town. Not much concern then about Devin or Beno.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=460749#post460749

If you believe the active roster must fit to a certain form, then the perimeter rotation would look like...

Starters
1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Bowen

Bench
1 NVE
2 Barry
2 Brown or Finley
3 GRob or Barnes

That gives you a pure point backup and 3 swings on the bench. Pretty much the standard NBA format.

Of course, there is nothing that says you must have a prototypical rotation. I'd be surprised if they landed Finley but hey, they just got NVE.

If they got Finley and retained GRob the Spurs would have one hell of an experienced, versatile, and nasty bench.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=460766#post460766

Bench
1 NVE
2 Barry
2 Finley
3 Robinson
4 Horry
5 Oberto
5 Nesterovic

:smokin

Kori Ellis
09-13-2005, 04:06 PM
After the Spurs drafted him last year, he hurt his knee in summer league practice, his hand in a summer league game, and then his knee in a game in Slovenia. At that point, I thought he was a china doll but he didn't really have many injury concerns during the regular season last year.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-13-2005, 04:10 PM
After the Spurs drafted him last year, he hurt his knee in summer league practice, his hand in a summer league game, and then his knee in a game in Slovenia. At that point, I thought he was a china doll but he didn't really have many injury concerns during the regular season last year.

Interesting injury pattern. I think from the months of July through the start of training camp he should be put in protective custody or house arrest or something. Apparently if the weather's warm enough he turns into Vince Carter's slower, whiter cousin.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 04:39 PM
I guess everyone has their roles in this forum.

Posted 2 weeks ago, the day Pop announced that Nick Van Exel was in town. Not much concern then about Devin or Beno.

Didn't know about Udrih's injury and, yeah, those were big acquisitions for the Spurs...for next season. Unfortunately, as we have found out, Finley and NVE are only under contract for that season.

Also, there was no assumption that the Spurs were going to let Devin walk for nothing in return.

The role's the same.

Oscar DeLa
09-13-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't know what it is but not Beno!

angel_luv
09-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Get healthy "John Boy" Udrih! Now you will have a better recovery time for training camp.
http://www.the-waltons.com/graphics/homecom2.jpg

It's Beno Boy! = )

Solid D
09-13-2005, 07:42 PM
http://www.24sec.net/article.asp?index=2539

This article says he injured the knee in a friendly game against Hungary. I remember last summer when Beno injured himself in a game that was on a terrible floor. Does anyone remember that, or where that was?

Kobayagi
09-13-2005, 08:34 PM
I don't think anything was wrong with the floor in Velenje (Slovenia) where he injured himself this time. Local team plays their european handball champions league games on that court.

ploto
09-13-2005, 10:56 PM
I remember last summer when Beno injured himself in a game that was on a terrible floor. Does anyone remember that, or where that was?

I think it was in the Czech republic.

Dario
09-14-2005, 04:10 AM
Logic says it cant be streched, he stood up himself after the crash and walked away just fine. When the game finished he was walking to dressing room laughing. I had my knee hurt couple of times and i know that after a simple bruise you cant walk without a limp for couple of seconds, let alone bigger injury. I would be amazed if all that was true.

SLOVENIAN 8
09-14-2005, 05:48 AM
I scan something from newspaper AS:

http://x1.putfile.com/9/25605392049-thumb.jpg (http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25605392049.jpg&s=x1)

http://x1.putfile.com/9/25605423920-thumb.jpg (http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25605423920.jpg&s=x1)

Solid D
09-14-2005, 08:09 AM
I have a language question. Why does the newspaper spell Beno's name Beno Udrih in one sentence and Bena Udriha in another? Is it for tense or gender reasons, adjoining word/verb reasons or what? I am just curious.

Ozzy
09-14-2005, 09:04 AM
declination

Slovenian language has 6. declination cases (so in case of Beno Udrih those would be):

1. Beno Udrih
2. Bena Udriha
3. Benu Udrihu
4. Bena Udriha
5. Pri Benu Udrihu
6. Z Benom Udrihom

along with other three billions of rules...

PS: this declination is only for masculine nouns

PPS: If you really, really want to read a bit more about this you can check here http://www.ku.edu/~slavic/slovene.htm, but it's probably better if you don't... :spin

Solid D
09-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Oh, okay. Thanks. If Bena Udriha keeps wearing Capri pants and a man-purse around San Antonio, people might start calling him Betty in the American red-neck declination sense.

Binji
09-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Oh, okay. Thanks. If Bena Udriha keeps wearing Capri pants and a man-purse around San Antonio, people might start calling him Betty in the American red-neck declination sense.
LOL

In this sentence the correct declination case would actually be Beno Udrih. Bena Udriha is used when you want so say "I saw Bena Udriha" or "There is no Bena Udriha". Doesnt make much sense in English i know :spin

Kamnik
09-14-2005, 05:12 PM
i was at that game where Beno hurt his knee

looked bad at first (i held my head as he is my favourite along with Nachbar on our team) but he stood up himself and went to the bench

played some minutes later on

so.... it cant be SO bad

i hope he will be here at the start of the season!

SLOVENIAN 8
09-15-2005, 03:02 AM
http://www.direkt.si/domov/favoriti/19/

Udrih, na eks
Celje, 15.09.2005

Beno Udrih, branilec slovenske košarkarske reprezentance zaradi poškodbe kolena ne bo nastopil na evropskem prvenstvu.

Dneve pred predčasno vrnitvijo v San Antonio najraje izkorišča za popivanje. V družbi prijateljev in brata Sama je bil med vikendom stalni gost celjskega lokala Branibor, kjer je utapljal svojo žalost v alkoholu in nagovarjal lepe Celjanke. Morda bi bilo bolje, če bi več časa posvetil zdravljenju poškodbe pri fizioterapevtu Sašu Vogrinu v Lenartu. Košarkarska zveza in teksaški delodajalci zanesljivo ne bodo najbolj navdušeni...

It says that Beno is drowning in Alcohol and drink becouse he cant play on Euro 2005 and..........

I am wondering if that is true??? Bad for him. :rolleyes

fonzy16
09-15-2005, 03:06 AM
http://www.direkt.si/domov/favoriti/19/

It says that Beno is drowning in Alcohol and drink becouse he cant play on Euro 2005 and..........

I am wondering if that is true??? Bad for him. :rolleyes

Dont believe anything in this newspaper. Its yellow press, with made up stories!

Kori Ellis
09-15-2005, 03:09 AM
Beno is back in San Antonio now, I believe. Hopefully the knee injury is not that serious.

polandprzem
09-15-2005, 03:40 AM
declination

Slovenian language has 6. declination cases (so in case of Beno Udrih those would be):

1. Beno Udrih
2. Bena Udriha
3. Benu Udrihu
4. Bena Udriha
5. Pri Benu Udrihu
6. Z Benom Udrihom

along with other three billions of rules...

PS: this declination is only for masculine nouns

PPS: If you really, really want to read a bit more about this you can check here http://www.ku.edu/~slavic/slovene.htm, but it's probably better if you don't... :spin
I know this pain

with those declinations and other stuff
:pctoss