PDA

View Full Version : why didn't they go

bpl
09-12-2005, 11:26 PM
why didn't any of the spurs play in the charity game in houston? do you think k.smith ask if duncan manu or any spurs could be in it

Solid D
09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm sure everyone in here has wondered...but unless someone knows the real reason, speculation wouldn't bring out the answer.

Trainwreck2100
09-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Because our best players are vigin islander, angentinian, and french. And it was all African American

Kori Ellis
09-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Because our best players are vigin islander, angentinian, and french. And it was all African American

:lol Was it officially an African American game? By the way, Tony is definitely in that category, though he's in France right now.

mouse
09-12-2005, 11:35 PM
The Spurs are on their way as we speak. They might be a little late,

they are traveling with FEMA :lmao

sprrs
09-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Manu, I would imagine, is still in his hometown and probably wouldn't come.

Trainwreck2100
09-12-2005, 11:37 PM
:lol Was it officially an African American game? By the way, Tony is definitely in that category, though he's in France right now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050907/sp_afp/usweatherbasketnba;_ylt=AmJozuw035bH9_QJ..w_tlS79L QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
According to yahoo it was

Summers
09-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Manu, I would imagine, is still in his hometown and probably wouldn't come.

Actually, fyi, he's been here for a few weeks. :)

Trainwreck2100
09-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Cause this is his hometown

Kori Ellis
09-12-2005, 11:57 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050907/sp_afp/usweatherbasketnba;_ylt=AmJozuw035bH9_QJ..w_tlS79L QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
According to yahoo it was

That's not the real AP story though. That's a weird version that was on an international wire. I'm not sure if the game was really billed as African American only, was it?

SilverPlayer
09-13-2005, 12:01 AM
The spurs agreed to have an extra exhibition game with the heat, for disaster relief...Thats my guess as to why they (and the Heat players) didn't attend this charity game.

Kori Ellis
09-13-2005, 12:03 AM
The spurs agreed to have an extra exhibition game with the heat, for disaster relief...Thats my guess as to why they (and the Heat players) didn't attend this charity game.

Dwyane Wade was in the Houston charity game.

But the Spurs players did have some charity commitments here in San Antonio yesterday at one of the shelters (not that those couldn't have been changed).

SilverPlayer
09-13-2005, 12:06 AM
I forgot Wade was there yesterday...

I think an extra Heat game might actually be better basketball and may mean better ratings to add up to more money, but who knows the economics of it. Whats important is that they have been involved, and will continue to be involved.

Summers
09-13-2005, 12:08 AM
That's not the real AP story though. That's a weird version that was on an international wire. I'm not sure if the game was really billed as African American only, was it?

Yeah, that yahoo article had a really weird slant/approach. I don't believe it was billed that way, except, I heard someone at a press conference say "Those are our people", but I can't remember if it was the press conference for this game or for the joint effort with Feed the Children (Was that the same thing??) And in the interviews I've seen Kenny Smith do to promote the game the day or so before it happened, he brought up race as an issue.

Mr. Body
09-13-2005, 12:17 AM
As a guess, I think Pop and the Spurs FO wanted to keep Spurs players out of risk for unnecessary harm, and perhaps Miami felt the same way, since they're both high-level contenders. As a sop and a benefit in a more controlled environment, they thought putting on another exhibition game would be best for their players.

But the fact the Spurs' roster is so international played a part, as did, I believe, the fact we have no real dynamic 'All-Star' players who are American.

Summers
09-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Do we have to have the "Tim is an American citizen!" debate again? :lol

Anyway, as pointed out, D-Wade was there.

Banks91
09-13-2005, 12:26 AM
Duncan does not really fit into that type of game, and he know's it himself, as do most fans,players, and commentators, so there was no real reason for him to be there.
Manu not being there was a slight shock though, but not duncan.

Summers
09-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Duncan does not really fit into that type of game, and he know's it himself, as do most fans,players, and commentators, so there was no real reason for him to be there.
Manu not being there was a slight shock though, but not duncan.

Yeah, Timmy would look really out of place in an all-star game. :lol

Mr. Body
09-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Charles Oakley, Derek Anderson, Tyron Lue, Mike James are All-Stars?

*Shrugs* They volunteered to go. Who was going to tell them to stay home? 'Sides, two of those guys are Rockets.

Solid D
09-13-2005, 12:54 AM
Unfortunately, some people are taking shots at national leadership accusing them of racial and socio-economic favoritism at a time of one of the worst tragedies, and most costly in US history. There were mistakes made, to be sure, but it had nothing to do with class or color of skin. I would believe bureaucracy, poor communications, inaccurate assessment, or even inept agency managers carrying out their jobs, but not a poor response to a Category 5 Hurricane and cataclysmic flooding based on class or race.

I'm sorry but if this game had anything to do with anything, motive-wise other than all people in this country working together as a unit to help out, then it's the wrong motive.

http://www.insidehoops.com/hurricane-relief-game-090905.shtml

Kenny Smith’s on the response time for the relief effort: “Personally, when I got a little angry, it wasn’t because of what the services were going to be – it was the response time. Everyone got angry at how long it took. I grew up in New York City and there is a consistency with those similar types of socio-economic areas. I know that if I stand on 125th street (in Harlem) and call 911, and I stand on Park Avenue and call 911, there is a different response time. I’m not saying that you’re going to get a different service when they come, but there is a different response time. For us former athletes or current athletes, who can respond quickly for people who can’t help themselves, it’s important that we show that we are here so when the aid comes from the government or the insurance companies, that is just the bonus because we’ve already helped you stay on your feet.”

E20
09-13-2005, 12:59 AM
They didn't go cause none of the wore headbands, to put it in simpler terms:

They weren't ballas!!!!!!1111111

Mr. Body
09-13-2005, 01:04 AM
Unfortunately, some people are taking shots at national leadership accusing them of racial and socio-economic favoritism at a time of one of the worst tragedies, and most costly in US history. There were mistakes made, to be sure, but it had nothing to do with class or color of skin. I would believe bureaucracy, poor communications, inaccurate assessment, or even inept agency managers carrying out their jobs, but not a poor response to a Category 5 Hurricane and cataclysmic flooding based on class or race.

I'm sorry but if this game had anything to do with anything, motive-wise other than all people in this country working together as a unit to help out, then it's the wrong motive.

http://www.insidehoops.com/hurricane-relief-game-090905.shtml

Kenny Smith’s on the response time for the relief effort: “Personally, when I got a little angry, it wasn’t because of what the services were going to be – it was the response time. Everyone got angry at how long it took. I grew up in New York City and there is a consistency with those similar types of socio-economic areas. I know that if I stand on 125th street (in Harlem) and call 911, and I stand on Park Avenue and call 911, there is a different response time. I’m not saying that you’re going to get a different service when they come, but there is a different response time. For us former athletes or current athletes, who can respond quickly for people who can’t help themselves, it’s important that we show that we are here so when the aid comes from the government or the insurance companies, that is just the bonus because we’ve already helped you stay on your feet.”

It was most definitely class and race based (the administration's non-response). No doubt about it. Do you really want to start this argument here?

TheWriter
09-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Kenny Smith has said that he called up players he knew and invited them. Derek Fisher called Kenny and asked to play/help, Kenny turned him down.

I assume none of the Spurs were called up.

But Tim, Manu, Brent, and Bruce were all at the Levi shelter visiting evacuees.

So who cares if they didn't play in some really bad dunk contest game.

sprrs
09-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Actually, fyi, he's been here for a few weeks. :)

:jack O I didn't know that :P

In that case they should have invited him!

Solid D
09-13-2005, 01:33 AM
It was most definitely class and race based (the administration's non-response). No doubt about it. Do you really want to start this argument here?

Fiction. What about Ivan? There was a fairly decent readiness and response almost exactly 1 year ago from FEMA to southern Alabama. Last time I checked, the gulf coast of Mississippi, Alabama and Florida isn't exactly Park Avenue.

I agree there was a slow reaction but the decisions and reactions by our govt. weren't based on class and race this time but not last year at this time. Get real!

TheWriter
09-13-2005, 01:35 AM
I don't think it was a case of race playing a part, just the simple fact FEMA thought the storm would be worse and kill most of those people waiting at the convention center.

Remember the sunday night as Katrina was rolling in, FEMA was saying they thought 50,000 people would die.

Tek_XX
09-13-2005, 01:51 AM
The Spurs are going to do their part with the game against the Heat. Do they have to be in every game? There is only so many positions.

And i seriously doubt it was officially an African American only game. Um hello black people make up most of the NBA rosters.

Notorious H.O.P.
09-13-2005, 01:52 AM

I'm not sure how it was billed but toward/at the end of the game they made a reference to it being an African-American effort. I remember thinking that the reference was strange but I only caught the tail end of the game.

Solid D
09-13-2005, 02:27 AM
Fiction. What about Ivan? There was a fairly decent readiness and response almost exactly 1 year ago from FEMA to southern Alabama. Last time I checked, the gulf coast of Mississippi, Alabama and Florida isn't exactly Park Avenue.

I agree there was a slow reaction but the decisions and reactions by our govt. weren't based on class and race this time but not last year at this time. Get real!

Forum poster j-6 posted this prior to Katrina hitting the Gulf Coast. It is an article written a year ago regarding Hurricane Ivan's potential to destroy New Orleans.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=457493#post457493

I ripped this off of another board...it's an article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution from last year about Hurricane Ivan. Same premise, however.

Direct hit by Ivan could submerge New Orleans tree-top deep

NEW ORLEANS — The worst-case scenario for New Orleans — a direct strike by a full-strength Hurricane Ivan — could submerge much of this historic city treetop-deep in a stew of sewage, industrial chemicals and fire ants, and the inundation could last for weeks, experts say.

If the storm were strong enough, Ivan could drive water over the tops of the levees that protect the city from the Mississippi River and vast Lake Pontchartrain. And with the city sitting in a saucer-shaped depression that dips as much as 9 feet below sea level, there would be nowhere for all that water to drain.

Even in the best of times, New Orleans depends on a network of canals and huge pumps to keep water from accumulating inside the basin.

"Those folks who remain, should the city flood, would be exposed to all kinds of nightmares from buildings falling apart to floating in the water having nowhere to go," Ivor van Heerden, director of Louisiana State University's Hurricane Public Health Center, said Tuesday.LSU's hurricane experts have spent years developing computer models and taking surveys to predict what might happen.

The surveys predict that about 300,000 of the 1.6 million people living in the metropolitan area would risk staying.

The computer models show a hurricane with a wind speed of around 120 mph or more — hitting just west of New Orleans so its counterclockwise rotation could hurl the strongest surf and wind directly into the city — would push a storm surge from the Gulf of Mexico and Lake Pontchartrain over the city's levees. Ivan had sustained wind of 140 mph Tuesday.

New Orleans would be under about 20 feet of water, higher than the roofs of many of the city's homes.

Besides collecting standard household and business garbage and chemicals, the flood would flow through chemical plants in the area, "so there's the potential of pretty severe contamination," van Heerden said.

Severe flooding in area bayous also forces out wildlife, including poisonous snakes and stinging fire ants, which sometimes gather in floating balls carried by the current.

A rescue of people who stayed behind would be among the world's biggest since 1940, when Allied forces and civilian volunteers during World War II rescued mostly British soldiers from Dunkirk, France, and carried them across the English Channel, van Heerden predicted.

Much of the city would be under water for weeks. And even after the river and Lake Pontchartrain receded, the levees could trap water above sea level, meaning the Army Corps of Engineers would have to cut the levees to let the water out.

"The real big problem is the water from sea level on down because it will have to be pumped and restoring the pumps and getting them back into action could take a considerable amount of time," said John Hall, the Corps' spokesman in New Orleans.

Hall spoke from his home — 6 feet below sea level — as he prepared to flee the city himself. The Corps' local staff was being relocated 166 miles north to Vicksburg, Miss.

New Orleans was on the far western edge of the Gulf Coast region threatened by Ivan, and forecasters said Tuesday that the hurricane appeared to moving toward a track farther east, along the Mississippi coast.

If the eye came ashore east of the city, van Heerden said, New Orleans would be on the low side of the storm surge and would not likely have catastrophic flooding.

The worst storm in recent decades to hit New Orleans was Hurricane Betsy in 1965, which submerged parts of the city in water 7-feet deep and was blamed for 74 deaths in Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida. That storm was a Category 3, weaker than Ivan is expected to be.

Even if New Orleans escapes this time, van Heerden said, it will remain vulnerable until the federal and state governments act to restore the coastal wetlands that should act as a buffer against storms coming in from the Gulf.

Louisiana has lost about a half million acres of coast to erosion since 1930 because the Mississippi River is so corralled by levees that it can dump sediment only at its mouth, and that allows waves from the Gulf to chop away at the rest of the coastline.

"My fear is, if this storm passes (without a major disaster), everybody forgets about it until next year, when it could be even worse because we'll have even less wetlands," van Heerden said.

101A
09-13-2005, 08:45 AM

Tony is African AMERICAN? How very myopic of you.

Rescueone
09-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Kenny Smith has said that he called up players he knew and invited them. Derek Fisher called Kenny and asked to play/help, Kenny turned him down.

Exactly!!! How would you have felt if Duncan twisted one of his ankles in that meaningless outting? OUCH!!! They could have raised more money if they all would've just signed autographs for donations at the stadium for 3 or 4 hours.

Obi wan Ginobili
09-13-2005, 09:36 AM

Tony is Halfrican not African. :lol

romsey31
09-13-2005, 10:31 AM

How do you know Derek fisher called and was turned out?

Solid D
09-13-2005, 12:21 PM
I was listening to the Jim Rome show while driving the other day and he was interviewing Kenny Smith about this event. Kenny said he was called by Derek Fisher to see if he had room for another player. Kenny said he had hit his limit on players but he could come in as an assistant coach. Supposely Fish agreed and wanted to help in any way he could.

angel_luv
09-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Pop wouldn't let the guys go cause he knew no defense would be played. = )

exstatic
09-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Kenny really dislikes the following:

The Spurs

Euro players

The NBA had him mentoring new players a few years back, and he actually told them (the black players. he wouldn't talk to the white players) that their jobs were being taken by Euros in some Euro marketing program by David Stern.

angel_luv
09-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Kenny really dislikes the following:

The Spurs

Euro players

The NBA had him mentoring new players a few years back, and he actually told them (the black players. he wouldn't talk to the white players) that their jobs were being taken by Euros in some Euro marketing program by David Stern.

Really? Sounds more like Stephen A Smith.

boutons
09-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Sounds like Kenny thinks the NBA is UnEqual Opportunity Employer, a Black Employment Agency.