PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Alpha?

SPURt
07-10-2015, 08:17 AM
The Spurs are carrying two max players on the roster: Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge

Which one is the alpha? My vote is Kawhi because of age and I believe his ceiling his higher. It seems like the braintrust with the Spurs would need to promise Aldridge the alpha role to get him to sign. Kawhi has a bad tendency to default and not be assertive. My only concern, outside of overall team health, is that the arrival of Aldridge may stunt the development of Kawhi.

DrSteffo
07-10-2015, 08:23 AM
They are not primitive chimps, they are smart ppl. Pop is the boss and then there are plenty of smart ppl who want to win basketball games. Duncan should be the alpha if you need to pick one.

Dex
07-10-2015, 08:26 AM
I think this may be a situation where Kawhi's demeanor actually benefits the team.

Leonard was supposed to step more into that leadership role last season, and even though he was hamstrung with injuries for a good portion of the season, he never did quite seem to be comfortable stepping up and being "the man". His offense picked up later and the season and obviously he was always a beast on defense, but I still am not convinced that he is ready for that role, or is even really built for it.

Enter LaMarcus. He's used to being the alpha in Portland, and left because he felt like that place was no longer there for him. He came to San Antonio primarily because he has that opportunity again.

I think it will end up being Aldridge 1A, Leonard 1B. Hopefully Kawhi will be okay with that. I think he will be, as he doesn't strike me (yet) as the type of player who wants to be "the guy", but moreso was being put in that position because that's what the Spurs needed.

RayTdropout
07-10-2015, 08:27 AM
DUNCAN

TheMulletMan3000
07-10-2015, 08:30 AM
pop

MeloHype
07-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Still Duncan

SPURt
07-10-2015, 08:31 AM
I wish Duncan still had the physical ability to carry the team! One of Kawhi or Aldridge will emerge as the overall team MVP. One could argue Duncan was that during the playoffs, but towards the end of the regular season Kawhi was doing crazy things starting on defense. I just find it difficult to hand the reigns of the team over to someone that's never played in the system.

K...
07-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Parker on offense with lma being alpha for long stretches.

Duncan on defense, with kawhi being alpha for stretches.

Just depends on matchups. This is what's great about a great flexible team.

Was curry the alpha of the warriors during the finals? No.

hater
07-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Smh player fans trying to make this out of the individuals rather than team.

Kids these days :rolleyes

That being said the only alpha in the team is Gregg Poppvich

Chinook
07-10-2015, 08:46 AM
The Spurs didn't trade for McCallum for nothing?

RD2191
07-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Kawhi Leonard. Next question.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-10-2015, 08:54 AM
Pecking order is:

1. Pop
2. Duncan
3. Parker
4. Manu
5. Aldridge
6. Kawhi

Although I think by end of year Aldridge may move up to #3

Goonie
07-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Pecking order is:

1. Pop
2. Duncan
3. Parker
4. Manu
5. Aldridge
6. Kawhi

Although I think by end of year Aldridge may move up to #3
:lol

spursparker9
07-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Pecking order should be

1. Timmy
2. LA
3. Kawhi
4. Enrique
5. Manu

kaji157
07-10-2015, 08:57 AM
None, Alpha is a term used to describe the leader of a band of animals and or NBA players that don`t play as a team.

TXstbobcat
07-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Timmy is the Alpha until he decides to hang it up.

BillMc
07-10-2015, 09:13 AM
They are not primitive chimps, they are smart ppl. Pop is the boss and then there are plenty of smart ppl who want to win basketball games. Duncan should be the alpha if you need to pick one.

Yep. As Pop says everyone works for Tim and it'll be that way until the day he retires.

Vito Corleone
07-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Here is the true order.

1. Timmy
2. Timmy
3. Timmy
4. Timmy
5. Pop, with the permission of Timmy

TXstbobcat
07-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Because of Tim Duncan we are the luckiest fan base that has ever followed sports. :toast

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-10-2015, 09:21 AM
West is more alpha than both of them.

1. Duncan
2. West
3. Manu
4. Mills
5. LMA
6. Parker
7. Kawhi (Kawhi is one of the hardest working players in the NBA, if not the hardest, but he does not have an Alpha character whatsoever, well at least at this point.)

My list is not by talent, but by who I think provides or will provide leadership for the Spurs team. Mills probably will surpass Manu this year. Mills is the emotional leader of this team by far.

stnick2261
07-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Alpha is a personality trait. Parker has it (sometimes to the detriment of the team) and Aldridge has it. Kawhi and Duncan both don't, even though they have the skill and willingness to lead. My vote is Aldridge

DrSteffo
07-10-2015, 09:25 AM
Because of Tim Duncan we are the luckiest fan base that has ever followed sports. :toast

This is true, Cheers to all!

DrSteffo
07-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Yep. As Pop says everyone works for Tim and it'll be that way until the day he retires.

Amen.

Goonie
07-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Alphas lead by example. Duncan has never been what one would consider alpha by the traditional sense. In that sense Kawhi is the alpha of this team.

Brazil
07-10-2015, 09:29 AM
The amount of disrespect of new age Spurs fans towards Duncan is disgusting tbh

The Alpha of this team untill he retires is Tim fucking Duncan. Not only he was the best player last year by a mile but he made the sacrifices to land pieces to maintain Spurs contender. He has the ultimate Alpha genes.

RD2191
07-10-2015, 09:31 AM

The Alpha of this team untill he retires is Tim fucking Duncan. Not only he was the best player last year by a mile but he made the sacrifices to land pieces to maintain Spurs contender. He has the ultimate Alpha genes.
Who is disrespecting Timmy?

xellos88330
07-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Honestly though, in the Spurs system the alpha is whoever has the best shot. If they don't care who it is, then why should we?

SPURt
07-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Smh player fans trying to make this out of the individuals rather than team.

Kids these days :rolleyes

That being said the only alpha in the team is Gregg Poppvich

I'm no kid, I'm forty five and live in my moms basement! You're probably out there working a job, while me I'm living the good life, just Spurs, NBA 2K, and no care in the world! You do look pretty impressive from that high perch you sit upon. Please, at you're earliest convenience, pee some more wisdom down upon us that are lower than you!

RD2191
07-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Is there such thing as an Alpha Hog? If so then Parker, Tony Parker.

$pursDynasty
07-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Duncan w/o a doubt, Manu and TP have it to, they basically lead their national teams, since I have a feeling TD will outlast Manu, it will be Tim's team until he retires, when he does, MVParker will assume the throne, it doesn't seem to be in Kiwi's makeup. LMA was the best player on the Blazers for nearly a decade but it became Dame's team as soon as he got there and Tony has more pull than Dame. The trio rules the Spurs but TD rules the trio, once TD and Manu gone, no doubt it will be Tony's team.

RD2191
07-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Duncan w/o a doubt, Manu and TP have it to, they basically lead their national teams, since I have a feeling TD will outlast Manu, it will be Tim's team until he retires, when he does, MVParker will assume the throne, it doesn't seem to be in Kiwi's makeup. LMA was the best player on the Blazers for nearly a decade but it became Dame's team as soon as he got there and Tony has more pull than Dame. The trio rules the Spurs but TD rules the trio, once TD and Manu gone, no doubt it will be Tony's team.
:lmao

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Alpha is a personality trait. Parker has it (sometimes to the detriment of the team) and Aldridge has it. Kawhi and Duncan both don't, even though they have the skill and willingness to lead. My vote is Aldridge

Have you ever seen Duncan get into alpha mode. You must be young. Duncan is just one of those strong silent types, but he is Alpha in every sense of the word. He just one of those guys that have to make a statement all time because he knows he is the MAN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsTAwvk5VgU

SPURt
07-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Haha! That's a good one!

SPURt
07-10-2015, 09:47 AM
I think people are getting too caught up on the word Alpha. Opposing defenses are going to need to game plan against the Spurs. I think Kawhi's athleticism makes him more dynamic than Aldridge, but that's contingent on whether or not his shot is falling. Kawhi is also way younger than Aldridge. It's gonna be an interesting season. A coach as good as Pop with players of this quality has a chance to do something special.

Brazil
07-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Who is disrespecting Timmy?

The ones who think Spurs Alpha is somebody else than Duncan

Mugen
07-10-2015, 10:05 AM
At the end of the day, Pop answers to Timmy tbh.

$pursDynasty
07-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Alpha imo isn't the best player it is the leader of the pack, all Spurs defer to Timmy, you see it, can you imagine Manu getting into Timmy's face and Timmy backing down? I can't. Even though LBJ is the best player on that Heat team, DWade was the alpha. Can you see Kiwi telling TP to sit the hell down and shut up, or complain about him not setting a screen, I can't seem to but I can easily imagine the reverse.

BatManu20
07-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Becky.

FromWayDowntown
07-10-2015, 10:13 AM
It's absolutely Duncan. You don't have to be selfish to be an alpha. You don't have to be loud or demonstrative. You have to be the guy who makes teammates accountable and the guy who will make the right play at the right time for the team in a big moment.

21 is absolutely those things.

RD2191
07-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Becky.

SnakeBoy
07-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Here is the true order.

1. Timmy
2. Timmy
3. Timmy
4. Timmy

SPURt
07-10-2015, 10:19 AM
If y'all think Duncan is going to be the biggest concern for opposing defenses at 40 yrs old, I'm sorry to burst y'all's bubble. The Spurs are without a doubt the house Duncan built. He is the Spurs smartest player, best teammate, and heart and soul of the team. Duncan is not physically capable of carrying a team throughout the course of an 82 game season. Some people on here are predicting he'll sit 40+ games. Duncan would be the first to tell you he is no longer physically capable of commanding double teams and out playing the opposing team's best player throughout an 82 game season. That's the quality that makes Duncan so special, he is honest about his limitations.

Kuvai
07-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Timmy is Alpha
Pop is Beta
RC is Gaama...

Brazil
07-10-2015, 10:25 AM
If y'all think Duncan is going to be the biggest concern for opposing defenses at 40 yrs old, I'm sorry to burst y'all's bubble. The Spurs are without a doubt the house Duncan built. He is the Spurs smartest player, best teammate, and heart and soul of the team. Duncan is not physically capable of carrying a team throughout the course of an 82 game season. Some people on here are predicting he'll sit 40+ games. Duncan would be the first to tell you he is no longer physically capable of commanding double teams and out playing the opposing team's best player throughout an 82 game season. That's the quality that makes Duncan so special, he is honest about his limitations.

you ask who is the Alpha, we answer who is the Alpha

now if your question is who is going to be the biggest concern of opposing defenses it's another question

try to focus and keep up brah

Dex
07-10-2015, 10:26 AM

Can't speak for everybody, but I obviously know that this team runs through Tim. He's the foundation.

That being said, I think he will take a backseat to Kawhi and Aldridge this season, especially on offense. With all of these weapons, we no longer need Tim to wear himself out carrying the offensive load. I see Tim settling into more of the D-Rob role now where he will he will help anchor the defense and pick his spots on offense...at least until the playoffs start.

tmtcsc
07-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Larry O'Brien leads this team.

random21
07-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Timmy

SPURt
07-10-2015, 10:30 AM

you ask who is the Alpha, we answer who is the Alpha

now if your question is who is going to be the biggest concern of opposing defenses it's another question

try to focus and keep up brah

Well, I think what I've learned is objectivity is in short supply with fans. I stated in my original post that the Spurs have two max players, which would imply they are getting max contracts for on court contribution. Luckily the front office doesn't pay for legacy alone like the Lakers. I was looking for more of a basketball conversation, but people want to talk about feelings and nostalgia. Which is all good. Tim Duncan is my favorite Spur, so I can't complain too much with the consensus.

DrSteffo
07-10-2015, 10:33 AM
I understand how you think now. No mention of D. Disregard 50% of the game and then your way of thinking makes more sense.

hater
07-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Lol that's not alpha dummy.

For example in okc Westbrook is alpha eventhou Durant is the most formidable player.

Now if you want to know who will be the more formidable player its Aldridge by a million miles.

Kawhi is a good 2nd banana that's all.

ceperez
07-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Pecking order should be

1. Timmy
2. LA
3. Kawhi
4. Enrique
5. Manu

Why isn't Diaw on the list????? Do you folks remember the 'elimination' party? Guess who was calling the shots... Boris Diaw.

On the cout the guys who really run the team are Parker, Manu and Diaw. Everyone else are just guys who finish plays.

SPURt
07-10-2015, 10:41 AM

For example in okc Westbrook is alpha eventhou Durant is the most formidable player.

Now if you want to know who will be the more formidable player its Aldridge by a million miles.

I'd still go Durant, both max, same debate

SPURt
07-10-2015, 10:42 AM
I understand how you think now. No mention of D. Disregard 50% of the game and then your way of thinking makes more sense.
Kawhi is a better defender than Duncan at this stage, I'm fairly confident in that, but what do I know?

ceperez
07-10-2015, 10:46 AM
I can't see how Aldrige can be the 'Alpha' if he's the only one in the rotation without a ring.

He's never been in the WCF or finals. He's got zero creds from the point of view of all the other members of the team.

PingPong
07-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Manu Ginobola
Porker
Dancan
Danny Green
Patty Mills (when confident)
West
Bonner
Kawhi
Aldridge

DrSteffo
07-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Kawhi is a better defender than Duncan at this stage, I'm fairly confident in that, but what do I know?

Yes but remove Duncan from this team and what rim protection is there? Nada. A combination of leadership skills, experience and history, skill on O and D probably makes someone the leader among players. On the Spurs it's clearly Tim Duncan.

Brazil
07-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Well, I think what I've learned is objectivity is in short supply with fans. I stated in my original post that the Spurs have two max players, which would imply they are getting max contracts for on court contribution. Luckily the front office doesn't pay for legacy alone like the Lakers. I was looking for more of a basketball conversation, but people want to talk about feelings and nostalgia. Which is all good. Tim Duncan is my favorite Spur, so I can't complain too much with the consensus.

Being a max player does not equal being Alpha

Nostalgia ? the fuck you are talking about... Duncan was last year Spurs best player and I'm talking about basketball here. Luckily for us he won't be anymore the best player starting next season even though one can wonder, but discussing Duncan and bb is not a nostalgia... far from it

stnick2261
07-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Have you ever seen Duncan get into alpha mode. You must be young. Duncan is just one of those strong silent types, but he is Alpha in every sense of the word. He just one of those guys that have to make a statement all time because he knows he is the MAN.

I am not young... I've followed Duncan his whole NBA career. Duncan being a strong silent type is exactly why I don't consider him an Alpha personality. People confuse alpha personalities as being the leader. Alpha personalities are people who DESIRE to be the leader. If you look at the Myer-Briggs personalities... I would guess Duncan to be an INTJ (the Mastermind):

"Trying to anticipate every contingency, Masterminds never set off on their current project without a Plan A firmly in mind, but they are always prepared to switch to Plan B or C or D if need be. Although they are highly capable leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead. Once they take charge, however, they are thoroughgoing pragmatists. Masterminds are certain that efficiency is indispensable in a well-run organization, and if they encounter inefficiency-any waste of human and material resources-they are quick to realign operations and reassign personnel."

I do believe Duncan is the best leader on the team, but not the one who desires to be the face of the team (like Aldridge considering joining a poor Suns team so he could be the face of the franchise).

EIC
07-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Kawhi does not have the "alpha" personality of a Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Paul, etc. He clearly wants to be the quiet, role-player type who is talented and productive, but is not in the limelight. He is most comfortable in the shadows.

The "downside" of this personality is that it makes it tough for guys like Kawhi to be a leader. People want to follow the "rah-rah" type, which he is not. The "upside" is that you don't have to worry about Kawhi feuding with other talented players on the team, even the "alpha" types. Kawhi will be happy (grateful?) to let them be the loud, all-eyes-on-me type, while Kawhi quietly does his thing. Meanwhile, the alpha types like playing with Kawhi types because they can hold their own, make the team better, but don't want to steal the spotlight. It's a great combo.

hater
07-10-2015, 12:12 PM
I am not young... I've followed Duncan his whole NBA career. Duncan being a strong silent type is exactly why I don't consider him an Alpha personality. People confuse alpha personalities as being the leader. Alpha personalities are people who DESIRE to be the leader. If you look at the Myer-Briggs personalities... I would guess Duncan to be an INTJ (the Mastermind):

"Trying to anticipate every contingency, Masterminds never set off on their current project without a Plan A firmly in mind, but they are always prepared to switch to Plan B or C or D if need be. Although they are highly capable leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead. Once they take charge, however, they are thoroughgoing pragmatists. Masterminds are certain that efficiency is indispensable in a well-run organization, and if they encounter inefficiency-any waste of human and material resources-they are quick to realign operations and reassign personnel."

I do believe Duncan is the best leader on the team, but not the one who desires to be the face of the team (like Aldridge considering joining a poor Suns team so he could be the face of the franchise).

so mutes can never be alphas?

:lmao right

spurraider21
07-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Duncan

stnick2261
07-10-2015, 12:21 PM
so mutes can never be alphas?

:lmao right

Just how retarded are you?

The ability to speak has nothing to do with the desire to lead.

Muteness or mutism (from Latin mutus, meaning "silent") is an inability to speak often caused by a speech disorder, hearing loss, or surgery. Someone who is mute may be so due to the unwillingness to speak in certain social situations.

Just like being introverted / extroverted has nothing to do with your basketball skills

Silver&Black
07-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Here is the true order.

1. Timmy
2. Timmy
3. Timmy
4. Timmy

SAGirl
07-10-2015, 01:06 PM
You said it. Sometimes Mills will be on fire and his unspoken attitude just communicates: "DOn't worry about it, you just get me an open shot and I got this." Love that guy!

callo1
07-10-2015, 01:13 PM
TD PERIOD!

dabom
07-10-2015, 01:19 PM

dabom
07-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Kawhi is the alpha. Pop saw his alphaness after his first year for SA.

SPURt
07-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Being a max player does not equal being Alpha

Nostalgia ? the fuck you are talking about... Duncan was last year Spurs best player and I'm talking about basketball here. Luckily for us he won't be anymore the best player starting next season even though one can wonder, but discussing Duncan and bb is not a nostalgia... far from it
We were awful without Kawhi during the year and winning a lot of games down the stretch with him. Let's not re-write history to fit an agenda. Kawhi is a max player with the Spurs for a reason. I will concede Duncan was the best player on the Spurs in the Clippers series.

Godbama
07-10-2015, 01:33 PM
Boban Marjanovic

duh

SPURt
07-10-2015, 01:33 PM
https://images.washingtonpost.com/?url=https://giant.gfycat.com/BrokenFabulousDragonfly.gif&op=noop

Godbama
07-10-2015, 01:37 PM
https://images.washingtonpost.com/?url=https://giant.gfycat.com/BrokenFabulousDragonfly.gif&op=noop
http://i.imgur.com/tRod3tp.gif

Brazil
07-10-2015, 01:45 PM
I will concede Duncan was the best player on the Spurs in the Clippers series.

and on the regular season

dabom
07-10-2015, 01:47 PM

Kawhi was.

dabom
07-10-2015, 01:47 PM
We paper tigers when kawhi sits.

dabom
07-10-2015, 01:48 PM
3rd in RPM last year.

spursistan
07-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Timmy, in his own way...Take out TD from the his team now and we are probably 1st round exit considering all whole intangibles he takes way from it..

dabom
07-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Timmy, in his own way...Take out TD from the his team now and we are probably 1st round exit considering all whole intangibles he takes way from it..

Take away kawhi and we lottery team.

dabom
07-10-2015, 01:52 PM
50/50 ball over 4 years says that.

SPURt
07-10-2015, 01:55 PM
I disagree, taking the Spurs record without Kawhi and his DPOY award into consideration, I take Kawhi last year. But hey, what a luxury to debate between the two. I would love for Tim to be as efficient as last year, I'd love to be wrong, that'd mean Timmy is going to be killing it at 40. Tim and Manu are my favorite Spurs, but it's a lot to ask these guys to continually carry the team. At some point there has to be a transition.

it is hard to imagine where Aldridge fits because we have no sample size. I'll have to bump this at the end of the year. I just hope health holds for all of these players.

SPURt
07-10-2015, 01:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tRod3tp.gif
Now that is funny! I'm gonna miss the poster prop that is Baynes. He got paid, can't argue with that...

Brazil
07-10-2015, 02:31 PM
I disagree, taking the Spurs record without Kawhi and his DPOY award into consideration, I take Kawhi last year. But hey, what a luxury to debate between the two. I would love for Tim to be as efficient as last year, I'd love to be wrong, that'd mean Timmy is going to be killing it at 40. Tim and Manu are my favorite Spurs, but it's a lot to ask these guys to continually carry the team. At some point there has to be a transition.

it is hard to imagine where Aldridge fits because we have no sample size. I'll have to bump this at the end of the year. I just hope health holds for all of these players.

Tim played 13 more games, logged 200 more minutes, lead in points, rebounds, blocks and WS has equivalent or better advanced stat than Kawhi and has been the best player during the series against Clippers.

not sure how he is not Spurs best player last year

romain.star
07-10-2015, 03:46 PM
West is more alpha than both of them.

1. Duncan
2. West
3. Manu
4. Mills
5. LMA
6. Parker
7. Kawhi (Kawhi is one of the hardest working players in the NBA, if not the hardest, but he does not have an Alpha character whatsoever, well at least at this point.)

My list is not by talent, but by who I think provides or will provide leadership for the Spurs team. Mills probably will surpass Manu this year. Mills is the emotional leader of this team by far.

Diaw is one of the real leader if this group

SPURt
07-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Tim played 13 more games, logged 200 more minutes, lead in points, rebounds, blocks and WS has equivalent or better advanced stat than Kawhi and has been the best player during the series against Clippers.

not sure how he is not Spurs best player last year
Duncan did not lead Kawhi in pts and it's not like Duncan was killing Kawhi in the advanced stats. If Duncan was so much better than Kawhi, why didn't he get defensive player of the year? Kawhi was taking out the other team's best player while leading the team in scoring and only averaging one assist per game less than Tim. I don't even think Kawhi has come close to a ceiling. I'm also not down playing Tim's contribution. He made some other younger players on the team look shameful with his ability to still out play them.

rossi24
07-10-2015, 04:25 PM
.Alpha is the pack leader. The most dominant, powerful, or assertive man in a particular group. If the Alpha starts talking, everyone shuts up and listens. The Alpha leads by example and others follow without questioning. IMO Aside from Pop, if Duncan starts talking in the huddle, everyone is listening. He may not be known for doing that, but if he does everyone listens. My top 8 list.

8. West (Can and will move up because he does have a leadership mentality)
7. Diaw (great 2nd line leader)
6. Mills (See: Manu x2)
5. Kawhi (leads more by example, not vocal)
4. LMA (will assert himself as a leader quickly)
3. Manu (Firestarter in the huddle and court, gets the nod because of experience)
2. Parker (vocal leader, must be for a PG)
1. TD (He's Mutha Fuc*%n Tim Duncan)

dabom
07-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Defense doesn't always show up in stats and Kawhi is a better defender than Tim last year. No debating that. Kawhi edges out tim last year due to defense and decent offensive production.

Brazil
07-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Duncan did not lead Kawhi in pts and it's not like Duncan was killing Kawhi in the advanced stats. If Duncan was so much better than Kawhi, why didn't he get defensive player of the year? Kawhi was taking out the other team's best player while leading the team in scoring and only averaging one assist per game less than Tim. I don't even think Kawhi has come close to a ceiling. I'm also not down playing Tim's contribution. He made some other younger players on the team look shameful with his ability to still out play them.

:lol who said much better ?

He has had a better season than everybody... deal with it tbh it's cool

HarlemHeat37
07-10-2015, 04:37 PM
:lol the "alpha" in basketball is not a real thing, tbh..that's part of the beauty of the Spurs, they don't buy into this media fabricated, narrative shit..

It's part of the Dad Killer legacy.."clutch gene", "alpha", "will to win", "killer instinct", etc are all traits that were fabricated by the NBA media due to the presence of Dad Killer..they're all stupid attributes and wouldn't have resonated as well if they were created in today's era..the lack of social media and thorough coverage allowed a player like Dad Killer to be an "alpha" and punch his teammates, throw them under the bus, etc without mainstream media coverage, and his "competitiveness" was portrayed as "alpha leadership"..

You don't have to be an "alpha" to be a great leader or teammate..

dabom
07-10-2015, 04:41 PM
We were blowing out teams with Kawhi and Pop kept benching him. Totals doesn't mean shit but we are talking about a resident troll here whose favorite player is a washed up dleaguer. Anyone watching the spurs would know that though.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Alpha is a term created by player fans, who need an excuse for the player they like more than their team putting up 30 shots a game while they don't make the playoffs. This isn't a pack of dingoes, this is a team sport. There aren't Alphas on successful teams, there are leaders, many who lead by example. Duncan had 27 points and 11 rebounds in the last game he played. If he's not the best leader by example in the history of sports then he's in the top two. I'll take that over an Alpha every fucking day.

SPURt
07-10-2015, 04:43 PM
:lol who said much better ?

He has had a better season than everybody... deal with it tbh it's cool
You can state opinions as facts as much as you want, anyone watching the Spurs close the season and in the previous Finals knows Kawhi was the Spurs most valuable player before dissappearing against LAC.

dabom
07-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Had Tony not been shit last year we wIN 4-0.

monkeypunk
07-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Like HarlemHo says above, no alphas in the Spurs system but Aldridge has to be the 1st option. Hit a couple of midranges to open up the floor to allow everyone else to go to work. Team effort in the end but for spacing, Aldridge has to eat first.

spursistan
07-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Take away kawhi and we lottery team.
I love Kawhi, and he's certainly a big time player, but he is just still not yet there up even with current Timmy as being an automatic show-up in a crucial playoff game..Under any circumstances, TD's level will never dive like Kawhi did in game 5-7. of playoff series...

SPURt
07-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Alpha is a term created by player fans, who need an excuse for the player they like more than their team putting up 30 shots a game while they don't make the playoffs. This isn't a pack of dingoes, this is a team sport. There aren't Alphas on successful teams, there are leaders, many who lead by example. Duncan had 27 points and 11 rebounds in the last game he played. If he's not the best leader by example in the history of sports then he's in the top two. I'll take that over an Alpha every fucking day.
The whole "player fan" schtick is a weird thing on this website. Contracts are a pretty good indicator that not all players are equal. The Spurs sent at least 4 HOF's to slobber on Aldridge's knob because he's one of the best players in the league, and Lawd knows what they promised him. I don't know if Aldridge wants to play 29 minutes per game with 10 touches. I, like most of y'all, would prefer the Spurs game stay beautiful instead catering to Aldridge's ego. Next season is gonna be different.

Also, a pack analogy fits sports because you are only going to be pride of the pack as long as the body holds out. Tim is playing on borrowed time, and Aldridge needs to play up to his contract to insure Tim is able to stretch his career further. Other than Kobe, there aren't players getting money AND playing time for legacy or being a good person. It comes down to physical ability.

At at the end of the day, I don't care what giant humanoid is putting a ball in the hole attached to some glass that has no bearing on my life, as long as the genetic freaks that play for the Spurs do it more frequently within 48 minutes than all the other teams.

Spursmania
07-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Timmy, of course. Always has been and always will be until he hangs it up.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2015, 05:18 PM
The whole "player fan" schtick is a weird thing on this website. Contracts are a pretty good indicator that not all players are equal. The Spurs sent at least 4 HOF's to slobber on Aldridge's knob because he's one of the best players in the league, and Lawd knows what they promised him. I don't know if Aldridge wants to play 29 minutes per game with 10 touches. I, like most of y'all, would prefer the Spurs game stay beautiful instead catering to Aldridge's ego. Next season is gonna be different.

Also, a pack analogy fits sports because you are only going to be pride of the pack as long as the body holds out. Tim is playing on borrowed time, and Aldridge needs to play up to his contract to insure Tim is able to stretch his career further. Other than Kobe, there aren't players getting money AND playing time for legacy or being a good person. It comes down to physical ability.

At at the end of the day, I don't care what giant humanoid is putting a ball in the hole attached to some glass that has no bearing on my life, as long as the genetic freaks that play for the Spurs do it more frequently within 48 minutes than all the other teams.

Maybe I don't know how the term player fan is used around here, but I was referring to 90 percent of the people on this site who claim to be Lakers fans, but are actually just Kobe Bryant apologists. They've been doing that particular schtick so long that they're now reduced to ridiculing smart team moves and bragging about his team-killing salary.

SupremeGuy
07-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Timmy is the fucking alpha until he fucking decides to stop playing, ya' hear?

SPURt
07-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Maybe I don't know how the term player fan is used around here, but I was referring to 90 percent of the people on this site who claim to be Lakers fans, but are actually just Kobe Bryant apologists. They've been doing that particular schtick so long that they're now reduced to ridiculing smart team moves and bragging about his team-killing salary.
Ah, I see, thank you for taking the time to clarify! I haven't seen these posters yet but only one season left for them to troll.

shorttotry
07-10-2015, 05:43 PM
My apologies if it's already been said, I quit reading the redundant posts.... Without question Duncan is the Alpha in much the same way that DRob was still the alpha during Tim's first years at bat. Duncan will take everyone by the balls and show them how to play Spurs basketball. After he retires, it's a toss up if KL can come up with a leader attitude. If he doesn't, it's LMA's team. (Under Pop of course). Parker will never be the alpha. EVER

DrSteffo
07-10-2015, 05:47 PM
My apologies if it's already been said, I quit reading the redundant posts.... Without question Duncan is the Alpha in much the same way that DRob was still the alpha during Tim's first years at bat. Duncan will take everyone by the balls and show them how to play Spurs basketball. After he retires, it's a toss up if KL can come up with a leader attitude. If he doesn't, it's LMA's team. (Under Pop of course). Parker will never be the alpha. EVER

Good post. Post more.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Ah, I see, thank you for taking the time to clarify! I haven't seen these posters yet but only one season left for them to troll.

When Shaq left, they defended Kobe because he wore purple and gold, then they defended him again when he ran of Phil Jackson, and the lies just spiraled out of control over the years. It's the strangest codependent relationship I've seen in sports. The fact that free agents are avoiding the Lakers like smallpox has started to wake some of them up.

Walter Donovan
07-10-2015, 06:10 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/rs/5mllfjvvlo5odytm/c4974b14-d249-46d4-9092-0e470e8d733d/e6d/filename/c49.jpg

SPURt
07-10-2015, 07:15 PM
When Shaq left, they defended Kobe because he wore purple and gold, then they defended him again when he ran of Phil Jackson, and the lies just spiraled out of control over the years. It's the strangest codependent relationship I've seen in sports. The fact that free agents are avoiding the Lakers like smallpox has started to wake some of them up.
This is the exact reason why I always hate the Duncan vs Kove debate. Kobe isn't willing to sacrifice self to win. The Lakers could've won more were it not for Kobe needing to just win, but win because of him. I can't believe he told Aldridge he could be his new Gasol!

Obstructed_View
07-10-2015, 08:11 PM
This is the exact reason why I always hate the Duncan vs Kove debate. Kobe isn't willing to sacrifice self to win. The Lakers could've won more were it not for Kobe needing to just win, but win because of him. I can't believe he told Aldridge he could be his new Gasol!

Kobe's an absolutely great basketball player who, for some reason, always tried to cultivate this image of a guy who can win by himself, though he's never ever done it. Part of the reason for that is likely because he's always valued the scoring title more than championships. If he'd kept his mouth shut he'd likely have more titles than Jordan at this point and the argument of his greatness would make itself. As it stands, he's got a legion of ignorati screaming about how he deserves to be compared to Jordan.

SPURt
06-22-2017, 10:40 AM

Since it looks like the LMA/Kawhi era is closing why not a walk down memory lane?

SPURt
06-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Kawhi Leonard. Next question.
Props, the only dude to respond decisively in Kawhi's favor right away.