PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's pay cut

KL2
07-10-2015, 09:23 AM
-Allows SA to sign LA

-POR is no longer a threat, a team that has given SA regular season troubles in the past.

-West sees the signing and TD's will to win, takes a massive $10 mill. pay cut to sign with the Spurs

-Suns (potential playoff team) think they're in the LA hunt so they dump a few guys, including one of the twins, coming up empty handed, weakening themselves.

-POR without a big man and money to blow decide to offer Kanter $70 mill max :lmao
-OKC pretty much needs Kanter to contend this year, and if they want him they'll be forced to match that contract while paying the luxury tax, AND will most likely dump some guys just to lower it.

Manu would've probably retired if not for the LA signing, and Pop has guaranteed he'll coach out the remainder of his 5 year contract. We have a coach and a solid core to build around for the future.

All thanks to Duncan :toast

TXstbobcat
07-10-2015, 09:28 AM
For everything he has done for the Spurs, I want Timmy to get that 6th ring. :flag:

houston spurs fan
07-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Pop and RC have said many times they all work for Duncan. Hell, you can make a strong case he is the reason the Spurs are still in SA. GOAT

K...
07-10-2015, 09:34 AM
This is just kind of surreal tbh. It's all happened so fast.

Seventyniner
07-10-2015, 09:35 AM
How much could he have gotten in the open market if he just wanted the most money possible? I think some team would have given him a LeBron deal: 2 years, 47 million, player option in year 2.

ducks
07-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Mavs would have maxed him
Like Jordan except for oneyeAr

Johnny RIngo
07-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Yup. It's comical that some morons are attributing Parker with recruiting LMA when it all comes down to TD leaving money on the table in order to be able to sign him. This is easily the best bargain contract in NBA history.

$5 mil for Duncan when he was ranked 2nd in his position last year according to RPM

$14 mil for Parker when he was ranked 67th in his position last year according to RPM

The sacrifices TD continues to make in order to compensate for the bloated, selfish contracts of the declining players on the team...fucking amazing. He could have easily pulled a Kobe and demanded to be paid market value(washed up KG is making $8 mil next season) but he did what was best for the team.

RLT
07-10-2015, 09:53 AM
GOAT

cjw
07-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Complain about the Parker contract all you like, but at the end of the day, he had been underpaid in all of his prior contracts. Most teams in the league would have simply signed him at the max in all of those contracts except perhaps the current one.

kxs783kms
07-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Complain about the Parker contract all you like, but at the end of the day, he had been underpaid in all of his prior contracts. Most teams in the league would have simply signed him at the max in all of those contracts except perhaps the current one.

I agree.

Dre_7
07-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Yup. It's comical that some morons are attributing Parker with recruiting LMA when it all comes down to TD leaving money on the table in order to be able to sign him. This is easily the best bargain contract in NBA history.

$5 mil for Duncan when he was ranked 2nd in his position last year according to RPM

$14 mil for Parker when he was ranked 67th in his position last year according to RPM

The sacrifices TD continues to make in order to compensate for the bloated, selfish contracts of the declining players on the team...fucking amazing. He could have easily pulled a Kobe and demanded to be paid market value(washed up KG is making $8 mil next season) but he did what was best for the team.

Yeah selfish contract. How dare the Spurs give Parker that money. What is wrong with RC and Pop?!?!?!?!?!

SPURt
07-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Firmly places him ahead of Kobe in the "greatest all time" debate if there was any doubt before this off season. It shows Duncan's will to win out weighs his love of money or ego.

Dre_7
07-10-2015, 10:06 AM
But yeah, Duncan is the man. Always has been always will be.

ducks
07-10-2015, 10:07 AM
tp could do the same thing when his contract is up

Kuvai
07-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Tim Duncan is the greatest team player ever to play professional Sports.
Its very hard to do the amount of sacrifices Timmy did when playing for a Pro-Team.
I think I've really reached the point where I have to try very hard for a reason not to believe that Tim Duncan is the Second greatest basketball player of all time behind Michael Jordan.

Tim Duncan is the True Class... A Lesson for Young people.

Dex
07-10-2015, 10:35 AM
I'd say the Spurs got really lucky when they picked up that Jim Dunan guy.

ajh18
07-10-2015, 10:39 AM
It also shows just how competitive Tim Duncan is.

People talk a lot about the competitiveness of guys like Kobe (and MJ for that matter) who'd do anything to win... except take less money, fewer shots, or a less prominent role in the offense.

Tim Duncan just wants to win. It's almost as if there are three dimensions you see players have to choose between... money/ego, winning, and loyalty. Tim (and Dirk) are extremely unique in that they place the latter two far higher than the first one.

Dre_7
07-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Tim Duncan is the greatest team player ever to play professional Sports.
Its very hard to do the amount of sacrifices Timmy did when playing for a Pro-Team.
I think I've really reached the point where I have to try very hard for a reason not to believe that Tim Duncan is the Second greatest basketball player of all time behind Michael Jordan.

Tim Duncan is the True Class... A Lesson for Young people.

:tu

Spurs fans are incredibly blessed to have had Tim Duncan for all these years. GOAT!!

gameFACE
07-10-2015, 10:50 AM
TD is in a world above Kobe, KG, Dirk and all other players of his generation!

Phenomanul
07-10-2015, 10:57 AM
-Allows SA to sign LA

-POR is no longer a threat, a team that has given SA regular season troubles in the past.

-West sees the signing and TD's will to win, takes a massive $10 mill. pay cut to sign with the Spurs

-Suns (potential playoff team) think they're in the LA hunt so they dump a few guys, including one of the twins, coming up empty handed, weakening themselves.

-POR without a big man and money to blow decide to offer Kanter $70 mill max :lmao
-OKC pretty much needs Kanter to contend this year, and if they want him they'll be forced to match that contract while paying the luxury tax, AND will most likely dump some guys just to lower it.

Manu would've probably retired if not for the LA signing, and Pop has guaranteed he'll coach out the remainder of his 5 year contract. We have a coach and a solid core to build around for the future.

All thanks to Duncan :toast

If you include Danny Green's willingness to take the 'hometown' discount then your post can be modified to this:

-Allows SA to sign LaMarcus Aldridge for near max$.

-Allows SA to sign Kawhi for max$.

-Allows SA to retain Patty Mills and Boris Diaw (without having to include them in cap-room clearing trades ala Splitter).

-David West sees the signing and TD's will to win, takes a massive $10 mill. pay cut to sign with the Spurs (the team of his youth).

-POR without a big man and money to blow decide to offer Enes Kanter $70 mill max
-OKC pretty much needs Kanter to contend this year, and if they want him they'll be forced to match that contract while paying the luxury tax, AND will most likely dump some guys just to lower it. They run the risk of losing Kevin Durant during his free agency next season if OKCs Front Office doesn’t show him they are willing to spend money to stay in contention (especially after the Harden trade/debaucle).

-Manu would've probably retired if not for the LA signing, and Pop has guaranteed he'll coach out the remainder of his 5 year contract. We have a coach and a solid core to build around for the future.

All thanks to Duncan and Green

BillMc
07-10-2015, 11:15 AM
For everything he has done for the Spurs, I want Timmy to get that 6th ring. :flag:

6th and 7th ring would be a good way to go out!:toast

Jdspur20
07-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Firmly places him ahead of Kobe in the "greatest all time" debate if there was any doubt before this off season. It shows Duncan's will to win out weighs his love of money or ego.

If it hadn't been for Shaq, Kobe would be an after thought. There is no question Duncan is all together in every aspect greater than Kobe

SASdynasty!
07-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Yah, complain all you want about Parker's contract, but if he was paid like the rest of the league, we wouldn't have been able to sign LMA. Think about this for a second. Tony Parker has never and will never make as much money as Wesley Matthews will for the next four years. Wesley Matthews. Underpaid is an understatement.

MultiTroll
06-21-2017, 05:10 PM
Bump

MultiTroll
06-21-2017, 05:21 PM
and this is freakin summer of 2015!

tmtcsc
06-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Great bump.

And for all the people (& select doofuses) who think the Spurs would NEVER trade TP if it made the team better -

TRADED:
# George Gervin - traded (Age 33)
Alvin Robertson - traded (Age 26)
George Hill - traded (Age 24)
* Sean Elliott - Traded (Age 25) / Re-signed / Retired a Spur (Age 33)
* Malik Rose – traded (Age 30)
* Bruce Bowen - traded (Age 38)
* Brent Barry - Traded to Seattle /Re-signed with Spurs after 30 days / Left via Free Agency
* Steve Kerr - Traded by Spurs / Re-signed by Spurs / Retired a Spur (Age 37)
* Avery Johnson - Not re-signed (Age 34)
* Fabricio Oberto - traded (Age 34)
* Tiago Splitter – Traded
* Beno Udrih – Traded

Here are the nine Spurs' retired numbers that hang in the rafters -

1. James Silas
2. George Gervin
3. Johnny Moore
4. Sean Elliott
5. David Robinson
6. Avery Johnson
7. Sean Elliott
8. Bruce Bowen
9. Tim Duncan

The Spurs traded every one of those players except Tim Duncan and David Robinson. Manu will be the next Spur player & number to hang in the rafters that was never traded. TP has NO shot.

gospursgojas
06-21-2017, 06:30 PM
Great bump.

And for all the people (& select doofuses) who think the Spurs would NEVER trade TP if it made the team better -

TRADED:
# George Gervin - traded (Age 33)
Alvin Robertson - traded (Age 26)
George Hill - traded (Age 24)
* Sean Elliott - Traded (Age 25) / Re-signed / Retired a Spur (Age 33)
* Malik Rose – traded (Age 30)
* Bruce Bowen - traded (Age 38)
* Brent Barry - Traded to Seattle /Re-signed with Spurs after 30 days / Left via Free Agency
* Steve Kerr - Traded by Spurs / Re-signed by Spurs / Retired a Spur (Age 37)
* Avery Johnson - Not re-signed (Age 34)
* Fabricio Oberto - traded (Age 34)
* Tiago Splitter – Traded
* Beno Udrih – Traded

Here are the eight Spurs' retired numbers that hang in the rafters -

1. James Silas
2. George Gervin
3. Sean Elliott
4. David Robinson
5. Avery Johnson
6. Sean Elliott
7. Bruce Bowen
8. Tim Duncan

The Spurs traded every one of those players except Tim Duncan and David Robinson. Manu will be the next Spur player & number to hang in the rafters that was never traded. TP has NO shot.

TP has done more for franchise than any of those you named that were traded. Who says TP isn't up there with Tim, David, and Manu as far as importance to the team and "un-tradable-ness"?

tmtcsc
06-21-2017, 06:51 PM
TP has done more for franchise than any of those you named that were traded. Who says TP isn't up there with Tim, David, and Manu as far as importance to the team and "un-tradable-ness"?

I do. I know its just my opinion but I don't think he comes close to being what Tim or Manu were and are to the franchise.

rastaspur
06-21-2017, 08:13 PM

Tp at this stage is not important to the current team.

The only plausible argument of why he is so important is from a public relations standpoint regarding culture and rewarding past loyalty.

The nba is a almost trillion dollar industry.

Loyalty and doing an all time great franchise player a solid and signing him to a 16 mil a year deal. Seemed to be his due rewards.

Spurs shouldn't feel obligated to carry him for a year out of loyalty when most likely he isn't able to make a positive impact next year due to age and severity of injury.

CGD
06-21-2017, 08:17 PM
Good damn, I miss the SOB

gospursgojas
06-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Tp at this stage is not important to the current team.

The only plausible argument of why he is so important is from a public relations standpoint regarding culture and rewarding past loyalty.

The nba is a almost trillion dollar industry.

Loyalty and doing an all time great franchise player a solid and signing him to a 16 mil a year deal. Seemed to be his due rewards.

Spurs shouldn't feel obligated to carry him for a year out of loyalty when most likely he isn't able to make a positive impact next year due to age and severity of injury.

I'm glad you see things my way.

rastaspur
06-21-2017, 09:02 PM
I'm glad you see things my way.

I don't think you are comprehending that I disagree with you.

I said it's the only plausible argument. However, Tony's prior acts of loyalty in taking slight pay cuts was rewarded with his last bloated contract. That contract was the quid pro qo/back scratching moment.

The completely plausibe counter argument to your loyalty theory/ free agents won't come here scthick Is that it would also be a deterrent or might dissade good fa's from coming here if the teams chances of success are handicapped by the teams undying devotion to a player who most likely will never play any meaningful minutes again.

It won't sit well with good free agents wanting to win that the spurs might hamstring themselves so as not to hurt the feelings of a former great who is now a below average player at best post injury and most likely no longer an nba level player due to the injury.
To take a page from Eddie murphy's classic stand up show raw, the nba is a what have you done for me lately league.

If you no longer can consistently produce then you are going to get replaced or be glued to the bench. Spurs wouldn't dump tony if he was healthy. They shouldnt.

But I dgaf if he is traded as a salary dump on the last year of his contract ate his age with an injury which will be a huge uphill battle to come back from. And I would imagine 95% of the players wouldn't give a fuck either.

One thing is certain, 99.9% of players in tony's position would expect it to happen or at least brace themselves for the potential of it happening.

Not tp. He talks about being back in january and playing to 40. He shouldn't be confident in his expected path to retirement. Foolish on his part.

gospursgojas
06-21-2017, 09:22 PM
I don't think you are comprehending that I disagree with you.

I said it's the only plausible argument. However, Tony's prior acts of loyalty in taking slight pay cuts was rewarded with his last bloated contract. That contract was the quid pro qo/back scratching moment.

The completely plausibe counter argument to your loyalty theory/ free agents won't come here scthick Is that it would also be a deterrent or might dissade good fa's from coming here if the teams chances of success are handicapped by the teams undying devotion to a player who most likely will never play any meaningful minutes again.

It won't sit well with good free agents wanting to win that the spurs might hamstring themselves so as not to hurt the feelings of a former great who is now a below average player at best post injury and most likely no longer an nba level player due to the injury.
To take a page from Eddie murphy's classic stand up show raw, the nba is a what have you done for me lately league.

If you no longer can consistently produce then you are going to get replaced or be glued to the bench. Spurs wouldn't dump tony if he was healthy. They shouldnt.

But I dgaf if he is traded as a salary dump on the last year of his contract ate his age with an injury which will be a huge uphill battle to come back from. And I would imagine 95% of the players wouldn't give a fuck either.

One thing is certain, 99.9% of players in tony's position would expect it to happen or at least brace themselves for the potential of it happening.

Not tp. He talks about being back in january and playing to 40. He shouldn't be confident in his expected path to retirement. Foolish on his part.

Eddie Murphy came up with that line?

rastaspur
06-21-2017, 09:36 PM
No. Eddie was quoting the Janet Jackson song.

Does it in the context of his hypothetical african bush bride and even uses a funny african voice and everything. It's a classic bit. It will even make deadweight folks with no sense of humor laugh.