PDA

View Full Version : CNN... what a pack of assholes (body recovery in NO)

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Just had on CNN, they went down to St. Bernard's Parish.

There was three dead bodies laying in a yard, they started to roll tape, and a member of the 82nd Airborne cut them off and asked them to leave.

The asshat CNN reporter called their lawyer on the phone and threatened this young Army guy, saying that he wanted him to talk to CNN's lawyer.

The soldier refused, and they moved in a couple of humvees to block the camera views.

Meanwhile the CNN dickhead made a big production of being blocked from videoing the dead bodies, and after it was all said and done CNN was bragging that their lawyers called the Pentagon and threatened them with another suit about being able to view bodies.

Mother fuckers, have some respect for the dead. Fucking piece of shit CNN...

Summers
09-13-2005, 12:19 AM
This is already being addressed in the other thread... freedom of press, respect for the dead, etc.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-13-2005, 12:24 AM
From what I see the other thread has devolved into the typical partisan bickering that dominantes this board.

This is all about the assholiness of CNN's field reporter, and CNN's subsequent "pride" about what they had done. They were acting like they deserved some sort of metal or something.

It's pathetic and disrespectful to me. And don't give me the freedom of the press bullshit, those people deserve the utmost respect in the time of their deaths. If it was one of my family members I'd fly to Atlanta to deck ever last piece of shit executive and producer I could find.

Summers
09-13-2005, 12:31 AM
From what I see the other thread has devolved into the typical partisan bickering that dominantes this board.

This is all about the assholiness of CNN's field reporter, and CNN's subsequent "pride" about what they had done. They were acting like they deserved some sort of metal or something.

It's pathetic and disrespectful to me. And don't give me the freedom of the press bullshit, those people deserve the utmost respect in the time of their deaths. If it was one of my family members I'd fly to Atlanta to deck ever last piece of shit executive and producer I could find.

Agreed, and I hate that because it becomes pointless and nobody can actually get any ideas out there.

I completely understand where you're coming from, and I agree with the sentiment; however it's not the government's place to tell a news network what they can or can't film (that's censorship). I'm glad CNN fought for this. On the other hand if they were to show images that I felt were inappropriate (close-ups, for example), I'd be disappointed. But I don't see anything wrong with showing the process of removing the bodies.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-13-2005, 12:40 AM
They showed the "distant" shot. They were standing 20 feet away trying to get closer. I can't see them going for anything other than the gory closeup. So like I said, fuck 'em.

Summers
09-13-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm not saying I don't find it a tad distateful myself. I'm just saying these are the kinds of things the bill of rights was written for. I think burning the flag is disgusting, but people shouldn't be arrested for it. I think white-supremacist web-sites are disgusting, but they have a right to be there. See what I mean. I understand your point and agree with you... except that I'm glad they fought for the right to be there. That's all I'm saying.

Vashner
09-13-2005, 01:23 AM
I think a still shot would of been appropriate.. not rolling lot of video...

I wish the soldier would of said "Maybe if your asshat democratic governer didn't hold 82nd back for 26 hours there would not be as many bodies"...

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Look, I'm as big of a fan of the Constitution and Bill of Rights as any red-blooded American.

That said, I don't think CNN showing video of rotting corpses after the largest natural disaster in our nation's history is what they had in mind though.

CharlieMac
09-13-2005, 08:33 AM
CNN showing dead bodies is about as redundant as having a reporter standing in the middle of a hurricane screaming, "It sounds like a freight train coming, I can hardly hear you!"

I think most of us get the point that dead bodies float and people die during Cat 4 or 5 hurricanes.

Vashner
09-13-2005, 12:04 PM
BTW . CNN will NOT cover the controversy of Sean Penn walking around with a shotgun .. why? BECAUSE they are just an attack machine not interested in balanced journalism..

They are just grinders wanting to get back into "feel good" democratic power.

CharlieMac
09-13-2005, 12:08 PM
BTW . CNN will NOT cover the controversy of Sean Penn walking around with a shotgun .. why? BECAUSE they are just an attack machine not interested in balanced journalism..

They are just grinders wanting to get back into "feel good" democratic power.

Was he really?

That would make for a great avatar.

Jelly
09-13-2005, 12:11 PM
CNN and the other networks got a lot of positive response for their "gloves are off" coverage over Katrina rescue efforts. Now they are taking their aggressive stance too far and I suspect it will backfire. Do they really expect a soldier to take orders from them? or their lawyers? Give me a break. What a bunch of preening jackasses.

Nbadan
09-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Seems that not all the Press is getting a free-pass in New Orleans...

Cecilia M. Vega, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 13, 2005

New Orleans -- A long caravan of white vans led by an Army humvee rolled Monday through New Orleans' Bywater district, a poor, mostly black neighborhood, northeast of the French Quarter.

Recovery team members wearing white protective suits and black boots stopped at houses with spray painted markings on the doors designating there were dead bodies inside.

Outside one house on Kentucky Street, a member of the Army 82nd Airborne Division summoned a reporter and photographer standing nearby and told them that if they took pictures or wrote a story about the body recovery process, he would take away their press credentials and kick them out of the state.

"No photos. No stories," said the man, wearing camouflage fatigues and a red beret...

SFGate (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/09/13/MNG3HEMQHG1.DTL)

Vashner
09-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Dude your a low life... the 82nd trooper was just trying to protect the family right of notice. Would it really get your rocks off to see the bodies?

If a soldier from the 82nd ever stepped on shit.. that shit on the soldiers boot would be smarter than NBAdan.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-13-2005, 01:47 PM

SFGate (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/09/13/MNG3HEMQHG1.DTL)

Hey dork, the reporter in the story is the one that I was writing about on CNN last night.

THey wanted closeups of the bodies. Fuck them.

Jelly
09-13-2005, 02:48 PM

Dan, General Honore explained on CNN that the reason not to film this has to do with notifying next of kin. It is Army protocol to ensure that victims families are notified through the proper channels rather than see or hear it on the media. Since the Army is doing all the dirty work (and since the military is the only entity that has been worth a crap in all this), I have no problem with the civilian world honoring one of their protocols and neither should the rest of the country. It makes me sick to my stomach Dan, that you, CNN and certain others are licking their chops over the chance to see dead bodies for the sake of sensationalism and the chance of exploiting the dead for political points. You should be ashamed of yourself.

SpursWoman
09-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Dan, General Honore explained on CNN that the reason not to film this has to do with notifying next of kin. It is Army protocol to ensure that victims families are notified through the proper channels rather than see or hear it on the media. Since the Army is doing all the dirty work (and since the military is the only entity that has been worth a crap in all this), I have no problem with the civilian world honoring one of their protocols and neither should the rest of the country. It makes me sick to my stomach Dan, that you, CNN and certain others are licking their chops over the chance to see dead bodies for the sake of sensationalism and the chance of exploiting the dead for political points. You should be ashamed of yourself.

:tu

Vashner
09-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Hey Dan maybe if the demoratic governer let the troops in when Bush offered.. instead of "I have to think about it" (yea 82nd airborne and 1st marine division (guadalcanal / fallujah) are well known for overthrowing state governments...

Maybe if she had let 2 of our best units in there would not be as many dead bodies?

Put that in your pipe and smoke it....

hussker
09-13-2005, 04:58 PM
I see the Crass Necrophiles' Network strikes again!
Seems they discuss a lot of "DEAD ISSUES"...00 election, 04 election, etc...

Cant_Be_Faded
09-13-2005, 05:01 PM
I would like someone to kindly explain to me how it is disrespectful to "film the dead".

And by film, I mean showing dead bodies in a typical news stories, not focusing on them and showing it over and over again. To me, the typical news story would be a chick talking, they show a few dead bodies (floating maybe? they did this before and i was not offended) but only in a brief manner. I don't see any disrespect in that if it is part of the story.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-13-2005, 05:26 PM
If you show the face of a dead body, and that person's relatives get to find out their mom/dad/brother/sister/aunt/uncle/nephew/niece is dead thanks to a CNN story, I would like for you to show me how that is respectful in any way, shape, or form.

Vashner
09-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Wrong soldiers to pick a fight with...

If you want to work over every veterans group in America to vote NO against you in 08 keep picking on the 82nd...

hussker
09-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Wrong soldiers to pick a fight with...

If you want to work over every veterans group in America to vote NO against you in 08 keep picking on the 82nd...

psst...hey VASH...the left does not vote, they just complain...even if they are bussed to the polls...and there are several unserviceable buses for that bussing...
Ahhh...all those buses!

RandomGuy
09-13-2005, 09:54 PM
It is possible to edit things to where you can't get any identifiable details.

I am with CNN on this. To not let them see at all is silly, and rather pointless with all the dead laying around for days anyways.

I really don't see how covering up the truth, as ugly as that truth is, really serves the public's best interests.

Does anyone really believe that CNN would have aired that footage unedited? (hint: think legal liability)

Cant_Be_Faded
09-13-2005, 10:50 PM
If you show the face of a dead body, and that person's relatives get to find out their mom/dad/brother/sister/aunt/uncle/nephew/niece is dead thanks to a CNN story, I would like for you to show me how that is respectful in any way, shape, or form.

well if you look at it that way, then you should not report anything at all. There have been stories about individual deaths that don't involve pictures, and i think it would be just as shitty to find out your relative died via the media regardless if their picture was shown or not.

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2005, 11:03 PM
If I was dead, I'd want to be shown on T.V. Shit, if it was up to me, I'd die on live national T.V.

Of course, not everyone is as stupid as I am.

jochhejaam
09-14-2005, 05:23 AM
well if you look at it that way, then you should not report anything at all. There have been stories about individual deaths that don't involve pictures, and i think it would be just as shitty to find out your relative died via the media regardless if their picture was shown or not.

The news mediums don't even release the names of deceased until next of kin are informed let alone show dead bodies.