PDA

View Full Version : ‘You’re never confident. You plan as well as you can': A Q&A with R.C

Spurs Brazil
07-10-2015, 05:52 PM
R.C. Buford, the NBA’s Executive of the Year in 2013-14 and a key architect in all five Spurs championship teams, has long since established himself as one of the best general managers in basketball. But he just might have outdone himself this summer, finding a way to at once keep the Spurs in championship contention while building for the future with the acquisition of LaMarcus Aldridge.

Aldridge was officially announced as a Spur on Friday, giving the media a good 15 minutes to pick Buford’s brain on how the entire process unfolded, and how he sees the biggest free-agent signing in team history fitting in with his new team.

More here: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/07/10/youre-never-confident-you-plan-as-well-as-you-can-a-qa-with-r-c-buford/

SpurPadre
07-10-2015, 06:11 PM
R.C. Buford, the NBA’s Executive of the Year in 2013-14 and a key architect in all five Spurs championship teams, has long since established himself as one of the best general managers in basketball. But he just might have outdone himself this summer, finding a way to at once keep the Spurs in championship contention while building for the future with the acquisition of LaMarcus Aldridge.

Aldridge was officially announced as a Spur on Friday, giving the media a good 15 minutes to pick Buford’s brain on how the entire process unfolded, and how he sees the biggest free-agent signing in team history fitting in with his new team.

More here: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/07/10/youre-never-confident-you-plan-as-well-as-you-can-a-qa-with-r-c-buford/

He talks about losing Matt! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrunkTXLabrat
07-10-2015, 06:14 PM
All the spurs proved is they really should stay out of the bought not built game. This summer is more richard Jefferson than Kawhi. And the only good that will come of it is the Spurs ending up tipping back toward a Kawhi offseason.

timvp
07-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Good News: Wings remain a focus.

Good News: Ayers is gone.

Surprising News: Bonner is gone.

I didn't mind Bonner as a sixth big but it sounds like that won't happen. Obviously, it doesn't matter either way, especially now that BOBAN was signed as the fifth big.

Mr. Body
07-10-2015, 06:59 PM

I didn't mind Bonner as a sixth big but it sounds like that won't happen. Obviously, it doesn't matter either way, especially now that BOBAN was signed as the fifth big.

Bonner will be around. if they need him, they cut their end of the bench minnow and sign him.

timvp
07-10-2015, 07:06 PM
“Yeah, for sure. And we’re excited about Ray (McCallum). He fills a big need. Cory’s play and his presence in our group can’t be overstated. Replacing Cory’s fire, Cory’s passion, Cory’s personality as well as 1,500 minutes of really good play was important for us. To go out and get a player like Ray fills a big hole. As we evaluate the opportunities, we speculated that if Ray had been a free agent in this market, we probably wouldn’t have been able to get him.”

Damn, RC is high on McCallum. Obviously CJ is better than McCallum but I'm excited about how McCallum can fit. I think he could be a strong minute-sponge, which was basically CJ's role last year.

Quiet Strength
07-10-2015, 07:15 PM
I thought Bonner would be in a spurs uniform until the end of time. Am I dreaming?

Das Texan
07-10-2015, 07:37 PM

eh, i read it more as Bonner may or may not be back, time will tell, but its not something thats a huge priority for us at this point. Who knows may need Tommy John after his 'phone mishap'

jhfenton
07-10-2015, 07:44 PM
He talks about losing Matt! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read the statement as lumping Bonner in with Ayres in the "we don't know what's going to happen yet" category.

We’ll miss the relationships we had with Marco (Belinelli) and with Cory (Joseph) and with Aron (Baynes), and Tiago. Losing those guys…and Jeff Ayres, we don’t know what’s going to happen yet. And Matt (Bonner).

Axegrinder
07-10-2015, 08:21 PM
All the spurs proved is they really should stay out of the bought not built game. This summer is more richard Jefferson than Kawhi. And the only good that will come of it is the Spurs ending up tipping back toward a Kawhi offseason.Your "takes" are peanutty shit

SpurPadre
07-10-2015, 08:31 PM
I read the statement as lumping Bonner in with Ayres in the "we don't know what's going to happen yet" category.

Yeah, you're right.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Your "takes" are peanutty shit

couldn't put it any better. Watching the Spurs make roster transactions is like listening to a teacher on peanuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

Axegrinder
07-10-2015, 09:31 PM
couldn't put it any better. Watching the Spurs make roster transactions is like listening to a teacher on peanuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04And your posts are like reading National Enquirer

DrunkTXLabrat
07-10-2015, 09:52 PM
And your posts are like reading National Enquirer

i like of myself as more of a mother goose than a smut rag.

pgardn
07-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Mitch makes sure Kobe signs off on the future of the Lakers...

RC and Pop = Mitch and Byron ?

In what universe do these people have the same job...

DrunkTXLabrat
07-10-2015, 09:54 PM
national enquirer is the same wah wha wa teacher sound that the spurs constantly make.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Mitch makes sure Kobe signs off on the future of the Lakers...

RC and Pop = Mitch and Byron ?

In what universe do these people have the same job...

if you've got Timmy, Kobe, Lebron... hell if you've got Curry, Davis, Dirk. I don't think it's a bad idea to appease their considerations about major roster moves.

Axegrinder
07-10-2015, 10:49 PM
i like of myself as more of a mother goose than a smut rag.What u drunk on...Sterno?

pgardn
07-10-2015, 10:54 PM
if you've got Timmy, Kobe, Lebron... hell if you've got Curry, Davis, Dirk. I don't think it's a bad idea to appease their considerations about major roster moves.

Yes.
A GM should listen and then * crinkle trash* if needed.
Because some players have the best interest of ... in mind?

DrunkTXLabrat
07-11-2015, 12:26 AM

Yes.
A GM should listen and then * crinkle trash* if needed.
Because some players have the best interest of ... in mind?

if a gm is doubtful about the good intentions of his cornerstone players wisdom, he's focusing on the wrong moves.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-11-2015, 12:27 AM
What u drunk on...Sterno?

i like *to think