PDA

View Full Version : Democrats Declaring War on the words "Husband" and "Wife"

spurraider21
07-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Dems declare war on words 'husband,' 'wife' (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dems-declare-war-on-words-husband-wife/article/2567925)

More than two dozen Democrats have proposed legislation that would eliminate the words "husband" and "wife" from federal law.

Those "gendered terms" would be replaced by "gender-neutral" words like "spouse" or "married couple," according to the bill from Rep. Lois Capps, D-Calif.

"The Amend the Code for Marriage Equality Act recognizes that the words in our laws have meaning and can continue to reflect prejudice and discrimination even when rendered null by our highest courts," Capps said. "Our values as a country are reflected in our laws. I authored this bill because it is imperative that our federal code reflect the equality of all marriages."

The Supreme Court ruled in June that the 14th Amendment to the Constitution means all states have to license same-sex marriages, a ruling that effectively ended the same-sex marriage debate in America. Capps said her bill was aimed at taking the next step, which is to ensure the United States Code "reflects the equality of all marriages."

She said her bill would also have other benefits if it became law. In one example, she noted that U.S. law says it's illegal to threaten the president's wife, but says nothing about the president's husband.
"Capps' bill would update the code to make it illegal to threaten the president's spouse," her office said.

Capps might also be thinking of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, who still seems like a lock to win the Democratic nomination. If she were to win the White House, former President Bill Clinton would become what some have suggested might be called the "first spouse."

Clipper Nation
07-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Philo with the guest entry into the "Liberalism in Action" series :toast

Spurminator
07-10-2015, 07:34 PM
What a silly hyperbolic title. Really sucks in stupid people though. That's how the Examiner gets its ad dollars.

ElNono
07-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Dealing with micro aggressions, tbh

DarrinS
07-10-2015, 09:22 PM
I think we have reached "peak sensitivity". Or, at least I hope we have.

Clipper Nation
07-10-2015, 09:25 PM
What a silly hyperbolic title. Really sucks in stupid people though. That's how the Examiner gets its ad dollars.

Spurmguzzler semen-shielding for the SJW agenda, as expected.

Drachen
07-10-2015, 10:04 PM
It turns out that clipper-nation has been a boutons_deux troll all along. Bravo, 9/10 troll job, though it's fallen off in recent weeks, but I imagine that's by design.

Oh, Gee!!
07-11-2015, 07:26 AM
My wife ain't my spouse, dammit! She's my wife.

Spurminator
07-11-2015, 02:55 PM
I think we have reached "peak sensitivity". Or, at least I hope we have.

I agree, it's ridiculous how worked up people get over the idea of changing words on federal paperwork.

Clipper Nation
07-11-2015, 03:04 PM
I agree, it's ridiculous how worked up people get over the idea of changing words on federal paperwork.
If federal paperwork isn't a big deal, why throw a fit about changing the words on it?

Spurminator
07-11-2015, 03:10 PM
If federal paperwork isn't a big deal, why throw a fit about changing the words on it?

Who's throwing a fit? Is every bill proposed in congress a fit? All I've seen is hissyfit article and the hissyfit comments below it.

All they're doing is changing "square" to "rectangle" and that's got all of you Jesus Justice Warriors up in arms.

Blake
07-11-2015, 04:16 PM

OP is throwing a fit about the change.

spurraider21
07-11-2015, 09:57 PM
OP is throwing a fit about the change.
i copy-pasted an article, and used the article title as the thread title.

that constitutes throwing a fit?

Blake
07-11-2015, 10:09 PM

You posted it as if you concur.

But ok, "the author in the original post" is throwing a fit.

You good now?

spurraider21
07-11-2015, 10:10 PM
your capitulation is duly noted

Blake
07-11-2015, 10:33 PM
your capitulation is duly noted

no prob. Don't feel like sending troops in on a trivial sidebar battle that gets nowhere

Th'Pusher
07-11-2015, 11:53 PM

The real question is what are you doing fucking around with the Washington Examiner?

spurraider21
07-12-2015, 12:23 AM
The real question is what are you doing fucking around with the Washington Examiner?
friend posted it on facebook tbh

Winehole23
07-21-2015, 12:52 AM
a husband (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=husband&allowed_in_frame=0) is etymologically house bound.

as for wives: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=wife