PDA

View Full Version : Spurs welcome the arrival of the Saints

Kori Ellis
09-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Spurs welcome the arrival of the Saints
Web Posted: 09/13/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA091305.4D.saints.spurs.d82d4dc.html

As an organization, the NBA champion Spurs have welcomed the New Orleans Saints to their territory, proud of the community for doing the right thing for a team displaced from its home by Hurricane Katrina.

Now that they know the Saints will play three regular-season games at the Alamodome, in addition to making San Antonio their home base while New Orleans is rebuilt after Katrina's devastation, the Spurs wish them every success, on and off the field.

"In light of what amounts to a national disaster, we, as a city, are doing the right thing to have them here and help them out as they try to put the pieces of their lives back together," Spurs executive vice-president for business operations Russ Bookbinder said. "I think it's the right thing to do.

"I'm real happy and proud of our city that we can do that. We have the facilities to do it and the ability to do it, and I think it's a great gesture."

The Spurs never have had to share the city with another major-league pro sports franchise, though there have been brief appearances by leagues other than the NFL, from the Canadian Football League to the United States Football League.

Bookbinder said it was premature to speculate on the city's ability to support two major sports franchises.

"I think a lot of that's hypothetical," Bookbinder said of speculation, on both sides of the question. "A significant amount of research would have to be done for me to make a comment."

The Spurs have fared well at the gate since moving from the Alamodome to the SBC Center, but Bookbinder said it was not without a lot of effort from the team's marketing staff.

"It is not an easy task, year in and year out, even with the product that we have," Bookbinder said, noting the Spurs have won three NBA championships since 1999. "We work very hard to keep our ticket sales intact."

The Saints deserve the support of the community this season, Bookbinder said, and the games here will give the thousands of evacuees who remain in San Antonio a sense of community.

"You have a lot of displaced people from New Orleans and that whole Gulf Coast area," he said. "It's a great opportunity for them, and all the people that want to support this team that's in need."

TheWriter
09-13-2005, 01:08 AM
Is it me or or does it sound like Russ does NOT want another pro team in San Antonio,

Kori Ellis
09-13-2005, 01:09 AM
It's you.

He's just being diplomatic.

rayray2k8
09-13-2005, 01:16 AM
"GO SAINTS GO"!! :spin

ZStomp
09-13-2005, 01:30 AM
I want tix!

When??

T Park
09-13-2005, 01:56 AM
anyone know where you can get an authentic Deuce Mcallister jersey??

Hes on my fantasy team AND a San Antonio/Baton Rouge Saint.

How cool :)

Kori Ellis
09-13-2005, 01:57 AM
Kris already has a Deuce McAllister jersey. I think he got it from fogdog.

angel_luv
09-13-2005, 07:28 AM
I was watching Sports last night and I heard one of the Saint's players ( sorry I don't know who).
He was talking about how happy the Saints were to be able to play near their fans- the evacuees and how the football team is some of the only hope the Katrina victims have left.

For that reason, which never occured to me until he said it, I think the Saints being here is a great thing.

I am happy for all you football fans as well. = )

batman2883
09-13-2005, 06:13 PM
SAS=San Antonio Spurs
SAS=San Antonio Saints

coincidence??? I think not....SAS is the acronym for both teams...should they move to the Alamo city.....It was meant to be

angel_luv
09-13-2005, 06:19 PM
A city full of good guys- the Spurs and the Saints.

It works! But I think the football team is only a loan, so enjoy it while it last. = )

batman2883
09-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Hey it might happen, if we show them enough love

SpursWoman
09-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Some guy already bought/registered the names "San Antonio Saints" & the "Saints of San Antonio" and a couple of other variations of the name....to be given to the organization if they should decide to move here permanently...for "FREE". Uh huh. :rolleyes

Anyway...I hope I can get tickets. :)

boutons
09-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Superdome to Be Cleaned and Decontaminated

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:36 p.m. ET

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Experts will have to clean and decontaminate the Louisiana Superdome before the stadium's future can be determined.

Superdome officials took their first look at the Superdome, which was wrecked while housing thousands of people seeking refuge from Hurricane Katrina, on Friday. Those officials said Tuesday that mounds of trash have been removed from the Superdome's concourses and the interior is still dark, waterlogged and vile smelling. The New Orleans Arena next door is in better shape, they said.

''The first job is to get both buildings cleaned and decontaminated,'' Glenn Menard, who manages both buildings, said. ''Once we have that done we'll have the experts go in and tell us what can be done and what can't be done.''

At first glance, the arena, where the NBA's Hornets play their home games, does not appear badly damaged. Medical and special needs evacuees who were housed there following the hurricane stayed on concourses, leaving the rest of the building untouched. Flood waters that surrounded the Arena and Superdome after the storm flooded the ground-floor locker rooms.

The Superdome was a shelter of last resort during Katrina and thousands of refugees were stranded there for several days. Toilets backed up and overflowed, the Dome Cafe and some offices were looted and trash was left behind as refugees abandoned property. The condition of other areas, such as the luxury suites on the third and fourth levels, was not known because they were not inspected Friday, Menard said.

The roof sustained large gashes during the hurricane and the rubber coating that covered the huge dome was blown off. Water leaked throughout the building, flooding corridors outside the first-floor locker rooms and suites, pouring down elevator shafts and sending water-logged acoustic tiles crashing onto soaked carpets.

Electricity went off during the hurricane and a generator powered only emergency lighting. There was no air conditioning and large areas of the building, including the bathrooms, were completely dark.

''There is substantial damage, but we have to wait to see what its long-term effect on the structure will be,'' Menard said.

Once the debris is removed, the building will have to be decontaminated before experts can determine what can be salvaged.

''We have to make sure the building is safe before we can get anyone in there to access the damage,'' Menard said. ''We hope to have a team in there in October so we can get a plan and decide what needs to be done.''

Menard said it was too early to say how much the cleanup would cost -- or if the stadium could be salvaged. He said the stadium and arena are both insured.

Any decision that did not involve restoring the Superdome would be an unpopular one, Menard said.

''Everyone has a Superdome story about being at an event in the building: the Pope's visit, a concert, a sporting event, even their prom. I'm sure that love of the dome will be part of any decision made about it,'' Menard said.

''It's been a part of the city's skyline for 30 years. I hope it will remain a part of the skyline.''

Horry For 3!
09-13-2005, 07:21 PM
anyone know where you can get an authentic Deuce Mcallister jersey??

Hes on my fantasy team AND a San Antonio/Baton Rouge Saint.

How cool :)
I like Deuce from the Saints as well. He is also on 3 of my Fantasy Football teams :smokin

slayermin
09-14-2005, 03:10 AM
I like Deuce from the Saints as well. He is also on 3 of my Fantasy Football teams :smokin

I like Deuce too, but he's a gamble. Especially when all of the goodwill and fuzziness rubs off.

freemeat
09-14-2005, 03:47 AM
It'll be awesome to come home to SA this December and cheer for our on-loan football team with the displaced New Orleans fans. I hope this makes them feel all the more welcome, especially when they see we can pack the Alamodome to support the Saints. I'd also like to see a permanent move. Even if the Superdome survives, New Orleans probably won't be able to support any major franchise for years.