http://publicaffairs.cua.edu/news/03LawSchoolCommenceSpeaker_files/image002.jpg

j-6
09-13-2005, 01:29 AM
She's Condi Rice in a judge's robe!

/elpimpo

jochhejaam
09-13-2005, 06:14 AM
Judge Brown.
It'll be a tough sell though (no surprise), the left is already casting her as right of Scalia and Thomas and the Congressional Black Caucas will not support her.

FromWayDowntown
09-13-2005, 09:31 AM
I actually think that the O'Connor replacement may be a place where the political firestorm associated with Katrina will have an impact on how the White House acts in another situation. I don't know that the President has the political capital to push a controversial choice through the Senate, particularly with the possibility of a filibuster looming. The Administration's struggles (real or perceived) to address the needs of New Orleans in the hurricane's aftermath could diminish any negative political effect that a filibuster might have had.

Just a thought.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 10:01 AM
I actually think that the O'Connor replacement may be a place where the political firestorm associated with Katrina will have an impact on how the White House acts in another situation. I don't know that the President has the political capital to push a controversial choice through the Senate, particularly with the possibility of a filibuster looming. The Administration's struggles (real or perceived) to address the needs of New Orleans in the hurricane's aftermath could diminish any negative political effect that a filibuster might have had.

Just a thought.

Makes sense. Also, I would add that the nominee would be replacing a justice who has been a swing vote. Should Bush nominate a more solid judicial conservative to replace O'Connor then it will be clear that the court's balance could shift to the right, which should engender a much more spirited response from the left.

Roberts' confirmation is going to breeze through. The left has nothing on him. I think that the fact that Roberts is replacing Rehnquist has somewhat muted the attacks from the left, at least in the Senate. A conservative justice replaces a conservative justice. Even though that shouldn't temper the ideological battle, it seems to have happened.

But the O'Connor replacement is going to create a nasty, bitter fight. At this moment, I suspect that Bush will nominate Brown. Nominating the first African-American female to the Supreme Court wouldn't be a bad political move for Bush. In some respects, after the Katrina mess, it would make sense politically since so many in this country still give so much importance to race.

FromWayDowntown
09-13-2005, 10:08 AM
But the O'Connor replacement is going to create a nasty, bitter fight. At this moment, I suspect that Bush will nominate Brown. Nominating the first African-American female to the Supreme Court wouldn't be a bad political move for Bush. In some respects, after the Katrina mess, it would make sense politically since so many in this country still give so much importance to race.

I think the Roberts hearing is all about setting the groundwork for the next confirmation battle because O'Connor's seat is vital if the Democrats are to resist a hard right turn. What's going on now is just the warm-up. Roberts will be confirmed and he'll be confirmed by a substantial margin unless something dramatic comes to light this week.

At this moment, although they might provide their own political expedience in other ways, I'd be surprised if Bush went with the deeply conservative candidates that were being bandied about before the Roberts nomination in the first instance. Again, a very conservative nominee (I think) will beget a filibuster, which in light of Katrina, won't be quite the same politically bloody choice it would have been several months ago. In the mid-term elections and again in 2008, if the Republicans want to lambaste the Democrats for "obstructionism" in filibustering a judicial nominee, the Democrats will be able to focus on the problems with responding to Katrina and, I guess, argue that they're more interested in people than parlimentary procedure.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 10:13 AM
True, which is why nominating a black female makes quite a bit of sense, from a raw political viewpoint.

Swishy McJackass
09-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Judge Judy.

FromWayDowntown
09-13-2005, 11:27 AM
True, which is why nominating a black female makes quite a bit of sense, from a raw political viewpoint.

I'd think moderate black female would face a fairly innocuous proceeding. I think, however, that a very conservative nominee, even a black female, is likely to get filibustered.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Sure, but then the Demos are put in the position of blocking the nomination of the 1st black female to the SC.

The Ressurrected One
09-13-2005, 02:58 PM
I predict Judge Brown
http://www.usdoj.gov/olp/brownresume.htm

She's my pick as well.

SpursWoman
09-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Sure, but then the Demos are put in the position of blocking the nomination of the 1st black female to the SC.

Not a position they'd likely enjoy, I'd imagine. Yikes.

The Ressurrected One
09-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Not a position they'd likely enjoy, I'd imagine. Yikes.
Not to mention she's damn qualified and competent.

Vashner
09-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Where is NBAdan's pick? Or does he just post other peoples news articles?

Who will Bush pick? Tell us thru your dark looking glass of wisdom.

jochhejaam
09-13-2005, 06:04 PM
She's my pick as well.

Libs are already preparing for another attempt at a "high tech lynching".

The Ressurrected One
09-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Libs are already preparing for another attempt at a "high tech lynching".
Yeah, I wonder who the male Anita Hill will be and if it'll be Coke again or Pepsi this time.

hussker
09-13-2005, 06:12 PM
http://www.judgemathis.net/

jochhejaam
09-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Where is NBAdan's pick? Or does he just post other peoples news articles?

Who will Bush pick? Tell us thru your dark looking glass of wisdom.

I just visited Michael Moooooores website to get a take on who dan will pick as Bush's nomination but Michael's still preoccupied with Sheehan so dan's just gonna have to wait.

The Ressurrected One
09-13-2005, 06:21 PM
...Michael's still preoccupied with Sheehan...
Really? How funny.

Extra Stout
09-16-2005, 09:44 AM
It's hard to believe Brown would be the pick. If Bush had a inkling towardsher, other Republicans would dissuade him. She is surprisingly anti-business for such a hard-right Judge. How humiliating would it be for Bush's own party to reject his nominee?

It makes sense that TRO/Yoni would like her because she is hardcore socially conservative with strong libertarian leanings. But she's only a well-known jurist because of her "colorful" opinions and her lack of collegaility with fellow judges. She's not distinguished for her legal mind.

Brown is not qualified to serve on the SCOTUS. I like her on the Ninth Circuit simply because those communist idiots need to be smacked around by a firebreathing rightie. They richly deserve the disrespect with which she treats them. But she is a poor choice for the top court in the land.

She's like Blackmun in the sense that she often fails to understand the implications of her opinions. In her, we very well could end up with a justice who writes right-wing rants that end up as liberal judicial victories simply because ACLU et al have better command of the law than she does. It would suck for the Republicans to expend what little political capital they have left to confirm a justice who spends the next 30 years wreaking havoc on conservative causes like a bull in a china shop.

If Bush feels he needs to nominate a woman/minority because he's already nominated a white male, then Clement's a likelier pick. I think Bush will rank his own federal court nominees over those who were around when he came in office, because of his stubborn loyalty. So, in order I'd say Clement, then McConnell.

If not for his being a white male, McConnell would be the obvious pick in light of the re-emergence of this whole Pledge of Allegiance flap. He's the foremost expert in the country on the Establishment and Free Exercise clauses.

cherylsteele
09-16-2005, 01:55 PM
I predict Judge Brown
http://www.usdoj.gov/olp/brownresume.htm

When you said Judge Brown...I at first thought you meant this one:
http://www.nytix.com/TV_Shows/JudgeJoeBrown/JudgeJoeBrown.gif

Vashner
09-16-2005, 03:04 PM
I just visited Michael Moooooores website to get a take on who dan will pick as Bush's nomination but Michael's still preoccupied with Sheehan so dan's just gonna have to wait.

hahaha that's friggin uber... hahah has to wait for the DNC talking paper before he makes a choice... cause he's too busy working on the Plantation.

Vashner
09-16-2005, 03:05 PM
It also could be Alberto G... He been spending a lot of time with dubya in the last weeks...

FromWayDowntown
09-16-2005, 03:26 PM
She's like Blackmun in the sense that she often fails to understand the implications of her opinions. In her, we very well could end up with a justice who writes right-wing rants that end up as liberal judicial victories simply because ACLU et al have better command of the law than she does. It would suck for the Republicans to expend what little political capital they have left to confirm a justice who spends the next 30 years wreaking havoc on conservative causes like a bull in a china shop.

If Bush feels he needs to nominate a woman/minority because he's already nominated a white male, then Clement's a likelier pick. I think Bush will rank his own federal court nominees over those who were around when he came in office, because of his stubborn loyalty. So, in order I'd say Clement, then McConnell.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but I would tend to agree, even despite my general opposition to conservative views of legal issues.

I'll weigh in, though, to say that if Bush wants to appoint a conservative woman who is smart and fairly principled in the way she crafts opinions, I think his best choice from within the federal judiciary would be Edith Jones. Most of the knowledgable, non-conservative attorneys I know shudder at the thought that Jones would actually end up on the Court because she is perceived to be smart enough to understand the law and the implications of her decisions. Judge Jones has been the bridesmaid at least once and may have even come in second to Roberts (I'm still convinced that Clement was a complete smokescreen and that she was never #1 or #2 for the original Roberts nomination).

I'd think Gonzalez is the nominee only if the White House is convinced that there is no way to get a preferred nominee through. Gonzalez has too many liberal-looking warts to appeal to Bush's conservative base.

Extra Stout
09-16-2005, 03:51 PM
I'd think Gonzalez is the nominee only if the White House is convinced that there is no way to get a preferred nominee through. Gonzalez has too many liberal-looking warts to appeal to Bush's conservative base.If Bush nominates Gonzales, that would confirm he's braindead.

The left will not accept him because of his role in the less pleasant aspects of the GWOT.

The right will not accept him because of his soft stance on social issues.

With Coburn and the four Democrats, Gonzales might not even get out of committee.

Edit: Make that Coburn and the eight Democrats.

FromWayDowntown
09-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Read today (http://realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/com-9_12_05_RN.html) that Priscilla Owen may be the nominee to replace O'Connor.

What do all of you judge watchers think of her judicial philosophy?

Vashner
09-29-2005, 12:54 PM
I think NBA Dan is too controlled by the Neoliberal media to post his pick.

He can only provide the link to the article once Bush makes the announcment.

AFE7FATMAN
10-01-2005, 04:51 AM
If it is a woman
Alice M. Batchelder
Consuela Callahan
Maureen Mahone
Karen J. WIlliams
Joy Clement ** Added because of a hot rumor from NO

If it is a man
Emilio Garza

jochhejaam
10-01-2005, 06:45 AM
If it is a woman
Alice M. Batchelder
Consuela CallahanMaureen Mahone
Karen J. WIlliams
Joy Clement ** Added because of a hot rumor from NO

If it is a man
Emilio Garza

I don't, as of yet, know much about Callahan but if she's qualified, having another female and the first hispanic no the SC would put the Dems behind the eight-ball again as far as mounting an effort to derail her nomination.
That amounts to two large voting blocs they would risk alienating by opposing her if she's qualified.

Consuelo M. Callahan Gender: Female
Race/Ethnicity: Hispanic
Status: Confirmed (Nominated: February 2003; Confirmed: May 2003)
ABA Rating: Well Qualified (WQ (SM); Q (min))
Circuit: Ninth Circuit
Home State: California
Category: none
Financial Disclosure Statement: download PDF

Employment/background:
2003-present: Judge, Ninth Circuit Court;
1996-2003: Judge, Court of Appeals, State of CA;
1992-96: Judge, San Joaquin Superior Court;
1986-92: Court Commissioner, Municipal Court of Stockton;
1976-86: Attorney, San Joaquin County Dist. Attny's Office;
1975-76: Deputy City Attny, City of Stockton

Clients:
The People of the State of California, "indigent" persons, City of Stockton, child abuse and sexual assault victims. 99% of Callahan's attorney work involved criminal cases.

In the News:
As the first Hispanic woman to serve on 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Callahan won unanimous approval (99-0) in the Senate. Sen. Leahy (D-VT) noted that, "Not a single person or organization has submitted a letter of opposition or raised concerns about her." (The Oakland Tribune, June 2, 2003)

Net Worth: $1,008,466

Campaign Contributions:
Republican Party of California - $500 (2000)
George HW Bush - $250 (1992)

http://courtinginfluence.net/content/nominee_images/Callahan,Consuelo.jpg

jochhejaam
10-01-2005, 12:52 PM
I don't, as of yet, know much about Callahan but if she's qualified, having another female and the first hispanic no the SC would put the Dems behind the eight-ball again as far as mounting an effort to derail her nomination.
That amounts to two large voting blocs they would risk alienating by opposing her if she's qualified.

I should have researched Callahan before posting her dossier.
You can read much into a person by who their supporters are and Callahan is supported by Diane Feinstein. She is the antithesis of convervatism and I think I speak for all of us that post in this forum :lol when I say that support from Feinstein disqualifies her from consideration as SCJ.

Feinstein: http://www.vote-smart.org/issue_rating_category.php?can_id=S0103103

Vashner
10-03-2005, 07:22 AM
I was wrong. .it's Harriet Miers..

Jelly
10-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Looks like you were all wrong.

Phil E.Buster
10-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Time to get busy and take a good look at this nominee.

Let the games begin.

SpursWoman
10-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Funny...I was just reading some reactions to this nomination, and the most objection is coming from Conservative groups. Odd. :lol

Spurminator
10-03-2005, 10:29 AM
The conservative groups were hoping for a judge that would seal the repeal of Roe v. Wade. They have no way of knowing with this one.

boutons
10-03-2005, 10:52 AM
the most qualified person dubya can find for the SC is his personal lawyer?
dubay's limits are without limit.

This nobody crony been designated as a lightening rod, to take all the abuse, get rejected, so the next one (horribly less qualifed and even more politicized) will have more of a chance.

dubya's spent all his political capital.

Marcus Bryant
10-03-2005, 11:00 AM
boutons, you are a dumb motherfucker. Please shut up.

Thanks,
Humanity

SpursWoman
10-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Did boutons say something? :spin

Phil E.Buster
10-03-2005, 11:10 AM
boutons, you are a dumb motherfucker. Please shut up.

Thanks,
Humanity

We will not allow opposing voices to be silenced!!
Sincerely,
The American People

SpursWoman
10-03-2005, 11:15 AM
We will not allow opposing voices to be silenced!!
Sincerely,
The American People

You do not speak for me. For I am an American Person who objects vehemently to being placed in the same category with people who equate "being a total fucking asshole" to "having an opposing voice."

Signed,

Miss Manners

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2005, 11:21 AM
I would be satisified if they picked a supreme court justice that wasn't so far on the right that half of his ass was in mid-air.

Phil E.Buster
10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
You do not speak for me. For I am an American Person who objects vehemently to being placed in the same category with people who equate "being a total fucking asshole" to "having an opposing voice."

Signed,

Miss Manners

Damn...Miss Manners must be a real BEEOOCH!! :lol

SpursWoman
10-03-2005, 11:29 AM
I would be satisified if they picked a supreme court justice that wasn't so far on the right that half of his ass was in mid-air.

Just like Clinton picked those moderates Justice Breyer & Justice Ginsburg?

SpursWoman
10-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Damn...Miss Manners must be a real BEEOOCH!! :lol

Why do you say that?

Do you use the "I'm just expressing my opposing view" excuse for being a total fucking asshole?

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Just like Clinton picked those moderates Justice Breyer & Justice Ginsburg?

Clinton wishes he had the entire government on his side. If he did, I wouldn't want those people either, given that they are far far far left.

But I glanced over the decisions Breyer made as a Justice and he hasn't really done anything bunk. Can't find anything on Ginsburg.

Phil E.Buster
10-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Why do you say that?

Do you use the "I'm just expressing my opposing view" excuse for being a total fucking asshole?

Boy, I didn't realize so many people had their panties up in wad over politics.

I've seen both, or all sides be assholes to each other but I haven't seen the "left" side ask or tell anyone to shut up.

Oh well, I've got work to do to keep the American way alive!!!

Phil E.Buster
10-03-2005, 11:40 AM
the most qualified person dubya can find for the SC is his personal lawyer?
dubay's limits are without limit.

This nobody crony been designated as a lightening rod, to take all the abuse, get rejected, so the next one (horribly less qualifed and even more politicized) will have more of a chance.

dubya's spent all his political capital.

And if this to you is being an "asshole" then you must real thin skin. In fact, most of the name calling I've seen comes from conservatives with their "dummycrat" and "democrat" childish remarks. :angel

SpursWoman
10-03-2005, 11:49 AM
And if this to you is being an "asshole" then you must real thin skin. In fact, most of the name calling I've seen comes from conservatives with their "dummycrat" and "democrat" childish remarks. :angel

I wasn't referring to any post in particular, there has been too many to count from both sides. As a matter of fact, I didn't even notice that one until you quoted it. :)

SpursWoman
10-03-2005, 11:58 AM
But I glanced over the decisions Breyer made as a Justice and he hasn't really done anything bunk. Can't find anything on Ginsburg.

I was trying desperately to find an article that someone posted a while back about him (Breyer) that I thought was pretty funny...and I'm not trying to make any point with it, it just made me laugh...

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1122627910797

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2005, 12:18 PM
I was trying desperately to find an article that someone posted a while back about him (Breyer) that I thought was pretty funny...and I'm not trying to make any point with it, it just made me laugh...

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1122627910797

ROfl, that is pretty funny.

boutons
10-03-2005, 12:40 PM
"to use Justice Stephen G. Breyer's 167-acre Plainfield property to create a "Constitution Park,""

These libertarian dumbshits can't get anything right.

If they wanted to condemn and seize Breyer's land to build a big mall and luxury homes to increase the community's tax base, then they would have been supported by the SC ruling.

Vashner
10-03-2005, 01:23 PM

We already have a lot of threads about Chief Justice Roberts..

Dude we talking about the new nominiee.

Can you put aside your hate for a moment and join in a intellectual discussion like an adult?

RandomGuy
10-03-2005, 01:27 PM
The conservative groups were hoping for a judge that would seal the repeal of Roe v. Wade. They have no way of knowing with this one.

If I had to second guess the strategy on this one, I would guess it is probably going to be something of a bone to the Democrats for giving him a pass on Roberts.

But, that is as much a hope as a guess. We can only all hope that the nominee will be a bit closer to the middle of the political spectrum and that will make for a lessening of acrimony.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2005, 01:27 PM
We already have a lot of threads about Chief Justice Roberts..

Dude we talking about the new nominiee.

Can you put aside your hate for a moment and join in a intellectual discussion like an adult?

I know, my comment is about the new nominee. We don't know shit about her. So I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that she's not Jochechejaamesque

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-03-2005, 01:28 PM

No way that it ever gets repealed!

Spam
10-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Abortion is here to stay. Not that it ever left.

Marcus Bryant
10-03-2005, 02:57 PM
"to use Justice Stephen G. Breyer's 167-acre Plainfield property to create a "Constitution Park,""

These libertarian dumbshits can't get anything right.

If they wanted to condemn and seize Breyer's land to build a big mall and luxury homes to increase the community's tax base, then they would have been supported by the SC ruling.

What part of the definition of irony are you not comfortable with?

Extra Stout
10-03-2005, 03:28 PM
What part of the definition of irony are you not comfortable with?
I think he gets it.

The absolute best thing would be to turn Breyer's property into a grocery store strip mall called "Constitution Park Shopping Center."

SpursWoman
10-03-2005, 03:33 PM
And put a great big nativity scene in front of it with the 10 Commandments scripted on Baby Jesus' blankie.

:drunk