PDA

View Full Version : So ....is Matt Bonner gone from the team with the Simmons signing?

JWest596
07-11-2015, 10:16 AM
With Simmons on board does this eliminate Bonner from the roster for next season?

BillMc
07-11-2015, 10:19 AM
I would imagine there's a good chance Bonner will be back, though his minutes may dwindle even further as the season progresses and the new editions become more comfortable in their roles.

Vito Corleone
07-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Bonner is a cockroach, you can drop a nuke and he will still be there the next day.

tatteredprince
07-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Bonner is a cockroach, you can drop a nuke and he will still be there the next day.

lol

tatteredprince
07-11-2015, 10:21 AM
i hope Matt returns in some capacity

he really is a good guy

jhfenton
07-11-2015, 10:24 AM
With Simmons on board does this eliminate Bonner from the roster for next season?

We don't know. The roster is at 13 players with 5 bigs. They carried 6 last year.

I think it means that Ayres is gone, assuming that Bonner would have the edge over Ayres, since Bonner at least has one unique skill among the big men.

Mikeanaro
07-11-2015, 12:24 PM
We don't know. The roster is at 13 players with 5 bigs. They carried 6 last year.

I think it means that Ayres is gone, assuming that Bonner would have the edge over Ayres, since Bonner at least has one unique skill among the big men.
Being a ginger?:lol

TheGoldStandard
07-11-2015, 12:25 PM

Sexual relations with Pop?

Bruno
07-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Re-signing Bonner is a tough decision for Spurs. With the tax it will cost $2.4M to have him and it should put Spurs at 15 guaranteed contract (from what RC said, Spurs will add a vet wing). I'm not sure Spurs will do it especially if Lalanne doesn't want to go in Europe and show promises at the Vegas SL.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Bonner will most likely be on the team but will spend alot of time in a suit behind the bench. Also unless he really impresses in TC and preseason, their is a chance Simmons might not be on the roster for the 1st regular season game.

Mr. Body
07-11-2015, 12:39 PM
The can sign Bonner later in the year if they need him.

Darkwaters
07-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Seriously, make him Sean Marks' assistant up in the front office. But keep him on a health and conditioning program though and work him out in the gym to keep his shot going. If they need him mid-season just change his job title and sign him to the roster instead of the front office.

MultiTroll
07-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Why the hell do any of you think Bonner would be good as an assistant coach or in the front office?

How to be another minutes stealing playoff losing schmuck?

Spurtacular
07-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Duncan
Marjonovic
(Ayers)

Aldridge
West
Diaw
(Bonner)

Leonard
Anderson
(Williams)

Green
Ginobili
Simmons

Parker
Mills
McCallum
(Bertans)

Italics - My best guess is these guys will be on the opening day roster.
Parenthesis - My best guess is these guys are on the fringe.

At this point, I'd guess Bonner would make the roster. But there could be a signing or two that pushes him out.

slick'81
07-11-2015, 10:44 PM
Maybe pop finally got sick of his goofy ass

spursparker9
07-11-2015, 11:17 PM
Don;t think he will come back as a Player.

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Why the hell do any of you think Bonner would be good as an assistant coach or in the front office?

How to be another minutes stealing playoff losing schmuck?

Because he's a smart dude...

UZER
07-11-2015, 11:36 PM
Uh, Duncan will be cut before Bonner is.

baseline bum
07-11-2015, 11:44 PM
Re-signing Bonner is a tough decision for Spurs. With the tax it will cost $2.4M to have him and it should put Spurs at 15 guaranteed contract (from what RC said, Spurs will add a vet wing). I'm not sure Spurs will do it especially if Lalanne doesn't want to go in Europe and show promises at the Vegas SL.

Yeah, I don't see Bonner back with the bigman depth this team has and with such a gaping hole at the backup 3, especially like you said, with Bonner costing $1.4 million and then $1.4 million of luxury tax. I vaguely recall hearing the NBA pays part of a 10 year minimum deal though? Or they did in a previous CBA? Is that where the $2.4 million figure comes from?

DeRozan m8
07-11-2015, 11:53 PM
The real question should be is Ayres gone?

I just want some confirmation that i'll never have to worry about him ever again.

Gkm
07-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I don't see Bonner back with the bigman depth this team has and with such a gaping hole at the backup 3, especially like you said, with Bonner costing $1.4 million and then $1.4 million of luxury tax. I vaguely recall hearing the NBA pays part of a 10 year minimum deal though? Or they did in a previous CBA? Is that where the $2.4 million figure comes from?

Pop can move diaw to the 3 and have bonner as a 4.

tmtcsc
07-12-2015, 12:07 AM
Bonner's last assignment should be to load Kyle Anderson in his Chevy Impala and take him for a long, long ride away from San Antonio.

Hey Matt, tell me 'bout the rabbits again.

http://bruinbru.com/images/Basketball_Recruiting_News/basketball_article_images/Anderson_K_350.gif

DeRozan m8
07-12-2015, 02:19 AM
Truth

Bruno
07-12-2015, 03:20 AM

If Bonner signs a 1 year min contract, he will be paid $1,499,187 but Spurs will only pay him $947,276 with he rest being paid by the league. He will also count for $947K against the tax.

The current luxury tax isn't a dollar for dollar tax. The tax rates raises for the farthest teams are above the threshold. A team will also pay more luxury tax if they have paid 3+ times in the 4 previous years. In Spurs case, they will pay the lowest tax rate possible (less than $5M above the threshold and not a repeater taxpayer). This rate is $1.5 for $1. Bonner will cost $947K * 2.5 which is about $2.4M.

Sean Cagney
07-12-2015, 03:56 AM
i hope Matt returns in some capacity

he really is a good guy

Assistant maybe??? As a player though last year he looked done imo.

spurraider21
07-12-2015, 05:25 AM
david west makes bonner obsolete

james evans
07-12-2015, 05:26 AM
The real question should be is Ayres gone?

I just want some confirmation that i'll never have to worry about him ever again.
if ayres AND bonner come back, the both of them have to be extorting popovich or peter holt with naked pictures of their wives.

ceperez
07-12-2015, 05:33 AM

Will signing a draft pick not count for tax purposes?

Spurtacular
07-12-2015, 08:15 AM
david west makes bonner obsolete

A 25 percent 3 point shooter vs. a 41.4 percent 3 point shooter; I'm gonna say no. I think you more precisely mean 'expendable.'

I believe that Bonner will get likely re-signed. He's ahead of Ayers and Wiilliams in the pecking order.

Sean Cagney
07-12-2015, 08:45 AM
if ayres AND bonner come back, the both of them have to be extorting popovich or peter holt with naked pictures of their wives.

We have said this about Red for years man... Damn.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2015, 09:10 AM
I thought the tax didn't count against league minimum deals.

timtonymanu
07-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Please no more Bonner. I get he knows the system well enough and is a cheap option, but I just don't see the need for him on the team anymore.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Bonner will be the 6th big. He's fine in that role.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Did anyone read that RC interivew?

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/07/10/youre-never-confident-you-plan-as-well-as-you-can-a-qa-with-r-c-buford/

“The planning of it, to move Tiago (Splitter) and not know you were going to get LaMarcus, that was a significant risk. Especially someone who had had a big part of a lot of success we’ve had in this building. So the planning that went into the sequencing, the alignment of the contracts, there were a lot of decisions. We’ll miss the relationships we had with Marco (Belinelli) and with Cory (Joseph) and with Aron (Baynes), and Tiago. Losing those guys…and Jeff Ayres, we don’t know what’s going to happen yet. And Matt (Bonner). So losing those relationships, not only a big part of the success but the chemistry and the culture of the group, you have to continue to recognize there will be some losses in this process. It’s never easy.”

JWest596
07-12-2015, 11:22 AM
I thought the tax didn't count against league minimum deals.

I thought this was the case as well. It was put into the CBA as to not penalize financially distressed teams if they are the chronological ending contracts to make up the roster. This is why contracts in the order signed are so important. I'm no CBA expert and defer to those who have read that monster agreement.

DMC
07-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Matt has been around long enough. He's YMCAish out there now and needs to move on. Sure it's cool to see him make a shot, but do you really want that "story" guy on the floor, the human traffic cone?

Mikeanaro
07-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Im gonna post this since is Bon Bon related, I wonder how it affects him.
http://news.yahoo.com/whataburger-takes-stand-against-texas-open-carry-law-153658659.html
(http://news.yahoo.com/whataburger-takes-stand-against-texas-open-carry-law-153658659.html)

Chinook
07-12-2015, 04:29 PM
I thought this was the case as well. It was put into the CBA as to not penalize financially distressed teams if they are the chronological ending contracts to make up the roster. This is why contracts in the order signed are so important. I'm no CBA expert and defer to those who have read that monster agreement.

They count as two-year vet deals no matter what the actual level of experience is. The tax system is completely apathetic to the roster needs. Those contracts as they relate to the cap are a different story, however, and that's probably what you're thinking about.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Im gonna post this since is Bon Bon related, I wonder how it affects him.
http://news.yahoo.com/whataburger-takes-stand-against-texas-open-carry-law-153658659.html
(http://news.yahoo.com/whataburger-takes-stand-against-texas-open-carry-law-153658659.html)
You're thinking of DeJuan Blair...

Side note: so... Whataburger's premium priced AND liberal? What flaming hypocrites. I'd rather buy from a real from a real conservative chain like Chick-Fil-A or an openly hippie inexpensive chain like In-N-Out.

still.focused
07-12-2015, 05:29 PM
I like Matty B but less minutes works for him
The less he plays the less everyone will see his damn shot is broken
This way he can still space the floor on reputation

DocDoc
07-12-2015, 05:34 PM
From the Buford interview:

How far were you willing to go to get Aldridge in terms of letting players go?

“The planning of it, to move Tiago (Splitter) and not know you were going to get LaMarcus, that was a significant risk. Especially someone who had had a big part of a lot of success we’ve had in this building. So the planning that went into the sequencing, the alignment of the contracts, there were a lot of decisions. We’ll miss the relationships we had with Marco (Belinelli) and with Cory (Joseph) and with Aron (Baynes), and Tiago. Losing those guys … and Jeff Ayres, we don’t know what’s going to happen yet. And Matt (Bonner). So losing those relationships, not only a big part of the success but the chemistry and the culture of the group, you have to continue to recognize there will be some losses in this process. It’s never easy.”

Spurtacular
07-12-2015, 06:55 PM
So far, nobody has presented credible concepts or proof that Bonner will not be back. I think the Spurs were willing to part with him if certain players performed so well in summer league and/or additional FA's came along that they couldn't pass on. But right now, by my math, the Spurs will sign at least one of Bonner and Ayers and quite likely both (unless Ayers gets an offer for more than the league minimum somewhere else).

Mr Bones
07-12-2015, 07:14 PM
The FO of the Spurs had the best off season of any team in the NBA. And people will still complain about who the 15th guy is.

Biggems
07-12-2015, 10:14 PM
If Bonner is healthy, I want him back. The positives of having him as our 6th big far outweigh the negatives.

It is amazing how much hatred Bonner and Tony get on this site......I get frustrated with them at times too, but I don't hate them.

Sean Cagney
07-12-2015, 10:20 PM
I like Matty B but less minutes works for him
The less he plays the less everyone will see his damn shot is broken
This way he can still space the floor on reputation
They didn't even have to cover him in the Clippers series and he still missed or passed up the shot though, so he didn't even stretch the floor then to be honest. He can move on now IMO and it's for the better.
If Bonner is healthy, I want him back. The positives of having him as our 6th big far outweigh the negatives.

It is amazing how much hatred Bonner and Tony get on this site......I get frustrated with them at times too, but I don't hate them.

Tony is actually or was actually good though, Bonner outside of a few games here or there (Good 3pt during season too I admit) was pretty bad in most playoff series in his career. He shoots 40% in the playoffs and 35% from three, that number rose from 32% when he actually had a decent run in the 014 playoffs shooting pretty well. He is not that good honestly and failed to show up in the playoffs when he was getting 20MPG and getting overplayed those few years, that is where the hate stems from with Bonner. When he finally was used right and less often in a certain role he got better and he was not as bad to see out there from time to time. In the right role I agree, but last year overall he was just pretty bad and seemed to fall off even shooting threes in which he usually excelled.

If he is done he can move on and the Spurs will be better for it, if not a lesser role like the last few years is fine to fill out a roster spot.
The FO of the Spurs had the best off season of any team in the NBA. And people will still complain about who the 15th guy is.

Truth. I am not a Bonner fan either but I agree.