View Full Version : Big Dog update - Also contacted by the Heat

TwoHandJam
09-13-2005, 08:30 AM
http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/09-13-05_z1_spor_03.html

NBA: Robinson donates money to relief fund
Sept. 13, 2005

By Justin Breen / Post-Tribune staff writer

“Big Dog” has written a big check.

Robinson’s agent, Charles Tucker, said the Roosevelt and Purdue graduate donated at least $25,000 for victims of Hurricane Katrina on Friday.

Tucker said Robinson also donated at least $15,000 worth of clothes to the Red Cross. Some of that clothing belonged to Robinson’s mother, Christine Bridgeman, who passed away last spring.

“He bought some clothes and gave away some of his mother’s clothes,” Tucker said.

Robinson, who is a free agent after winning his first NBA championship with the San Antonio Spurs, has yet to find a new team.

Tucker said the Spurs, as well as the Miami Heat, have called him.
“We’re trying to see what those teams are going to do,” Tucker said. “Hopefully, he’ll sign in the next couple of weeks.”

==================================

I don't like the fact that he's also talking to the Heat. We'll probably sign another swingman and I'd prefer that he be young but I'd sign Robinson just to keep him away from a contender like Miami. That guy has killed us his whole career.

He won a ring with us and has claimed he wants to return. I say sign him up and keep him in cold storage. If he complains we can always cut him loose later.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Miami has their full MLE. The Spurs could offer Robinson a 1 year minimum deal with the carrot of having his Early Bird rights next offseason. Maybe, just maybe, Glenn Robinson for the minimum would be cheap enough for Holt Cat.

ObiwanGinobili
09-13-2005, 09:03 AM
the guy is still looking to resurect his career after all that mess in philly. (and if pepel like SAS would just shuit up and let it be allready it would be alot easier!)
So I think he'll jsut be taking whatever offer he gets 1st.... casue there's alwasy the chance that if he's the slightest bit picky or takes too much time thinking about it ... beofre you know it's the reg. season and dude ain't playing with nobody.

Maybe, just maybe, Glenn Robinson for the minimum would be cheap enough for Holt Cat.
:tu I'd love that.
lets all cross our fingers!

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-13-2005, 11:59 AM
I would like to think that after a year of bliss in the SA locker room he wouldn't jump ship to be a part of the chemistry disaster that the Heat could be, but at this point in his career, after having gotten a career, and the fact that he could probably get most of Miami's MLE I wouldn't be surprised to see Miami hanging up those Finley banners with Big Dog's head and number painted onto them.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 12:07 PM
It would be worth it for the Spurs to keep him around.

But if they are going to lose Brown over 1 year at $2.5 mil, I'm sure they'll balk at paying a 32 year old Glenn Robinson who wants to remain a Spur anything.

Go Spurs Go!

50 cent
09-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Miami has their full MLE. The Spurs could offer Robinson a 1 year minimum deal with the carrot of having his Early Bird rights next offseason. Maybe, just maybe, Glenn Robinson for the minimum would be cheap enough for Holt Cat.
Well, paying more than the vet min for a your 5th swingman when you are already right at the lux. tax threshold does'nt make much sense. Damn, I guess you prefer the Isiah Thomas method of building a team and would pay your 5th string PF $6-7M per year.

Marcus Bryant
09-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Isaiah Thomas gives players guaranteed contracts for 6 years while the team payroll is $50 million over the lux tax threshold.

That is not comparable to giving a player a one year deal for $2.5 mil that might result in giving up a small fraction of the lux tax distributions.

Vashner
09-13-2005, 01:44 PM
I think he will stay.. we delivered 1 ring.. a chance for a back to back would be hard to pass up ...

milkyway21
09-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Miami again? first it was Horry, then Finley. Now they also want Big Dogg? what happened to Spree? i thought they wanted to sign him to a contract when Detroit was still pursuing Spree? :lol

I hope Robinson won't sign with Miami.

fonzy16
09-14-2005, 04:20 AM
We need a guy named Robinson in our team, to win a championship !!!!!