PDA

View Full Version : Astroworld closing

SWC Bonfire
09-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Just heard at work this AM, Astroworld is closing its doors.

Six Flags needs $$$, and the real estate is too valuable

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=3436934

Spurminator
09-13-2005, 08:52 AM
!!!

:depressed

SWC Bonfire
09-13-2005, 08:55 AM
I actually designed & put in a marquee ride there a couple of years ago... I wonder if they are going to move it or sell it.

ObiwanGinobili
09-13-2005, 08:55 AM
ugh!!! :flipoff
goddamn realestate greediness!!!

:depressed :depressed
man! and astroworld is sooo much cooler than fiesta texas!!!

sidenote:
I've heard Mickey D's owns some of the most valuable realestate in America... all those intersection lots...

ObiwanGinobili
09-13-2005, 08:56 AM
I actually designed & put in a marquee ride there a couple of years ago... I wonder if they are going to move it or sell it.

which one?
I love astroworld.. i try to go every year.... was it the serial thriller?

Spurminator
09-13-2005, 08:57 AM
The Viper... Greased Lightning... Texas Cyclone...

My childhood is gone.

ObiwanGinobili
09-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Batman the Escape is my #1
2nd is Dungeon Drop......

only one I havn't tried is the new one.. Swat.. It just got too late last time, and I was sick.. dang it! Now I'll NEVER get to try it!!!

SWC Bonfire
09-13-2005, 09:00 AM
They were fixing to have to spend some serious capital to renovate the park- it was getting pretty long in the tooth, so to speak, and I'll end my comments right there.

Jimcs50
09-13-2005, 09:04 AM
I have a lot of fond memories of going there when I was a kid. Went there for our senior trip, had a great time, even made out on the cable cars with Diana Cole. The Texas Cyclone scared the crap out of me. I will miss seeing that red white and blue wooden coaster, even just driving on loop 610, seeing it in the distance. I saw a lot of great concerts there too.

Computers and video games are fucking up our country's past pastimes. Kids entertain themselves sitting on their asses too much and all the great old entertainment venues are taking the road of the dinosaurs.

Jimcs50
09-13-2005, 09:08 AM
They also lost their parking spaces because Reliant Stadium would not allow Astroworld to park in the same lots when their lease with the Dome went out last year. I remember taking that shuttle from the parking lot over that bridge over 59. At the time it was built, they used to say on on the shuttle that that was the only privately owed bridge over a US Highway.

SWC Bonfire
09-13-2005, 09:12 AM
which one?
I love astroworld.. i try to go every year.... was it the serial thriller?

No, it was a spinning rapids water ride. They called it "Diablo Falls".

BigDaddyMatty
09-13-2005, 09:16 AM
i saw tommy lasorda at astroworld when i was just a wee lad.

Mixability
09-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Computers and video games are fucking up our country's past pastimes. Kids entertain themselves sitting on their asses too much and all the great old entertainment venues are taking the road of the dinosaurs.

I wouldn't blame it on just computer and video games. I'd blame it on overpriced tickets to these parks. Almost $50 bucks a person for just a day at a theme park? I bet some parents just would rather spend that money on a new pc or videogame for the kids to get them out of their hair. I personally like just going to a regular public park with my neices and nephews and not have to worry about weirdos or stupid teenagers that frequent places like Fiesta Texas.

ObiwanGinobili
09-13-2005, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't blame it on just computer and video games. I'd blame it on overpriced tickets to these parks. Almost $50 bucks a person for just a day at a theme park? I bet some parents just would rather spend that money on a new pc or videogame for the kids to get them out of their hair. I personally like just going to a regular public park with my neices and nephews and not have to worry about weirdos or stupid teenagers that frequent places like Fiesta Texas.

uhm... all you need is a coke or sprite can to get in 1/2 price.

what I can't stand are the proces of consessions!! Thats why I hide food nad drinks in my diaper bag! :lol

SWC Bonfire
09-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Fiesta is one of the best maintained Six Flags parks that I have seen, and it helps that it is relatively new.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Half price is still like $25. Add in $10 for a coke and a hot dog for lunch, another $10 for dinner, and you're back up to $50 again.

$50 = one video game that a kid can play for months/years. Also 1/4 of the way to a 10-game mini-pak of Spurs season tickets.

SWC Bonfire
09-13-2005, 09:25 AM
They may move my ride to fiesta. It was originally going to have an identical ride, but it got axed during budget cuts.

SpursWoman
09-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Half price is still like $25. Add in $10 for a coke and a hot dog for lunch, another $10 for dinner, and you're back up to $50 again.

$50 = one video game that a kid can play for months/years. Also 1/4 of the way to a 10-game mini-pak of Spurs season tickets.

@$55.00/ea for season tickets, unlimited admission. Buy one of the big plastic cups, bring it every time and ice water refills are free.

Sugar + hot sun + spinning rides = :vomit :lol :oops

Plus, you don't have to stay all day to justify what you spent to get in....so you can get there early and leave before it becomes hell-hot, or go later and stay for the fireworks, but either way you don't have to buy 2 meals.

My kids have probably gone at least 10-15 times each this summer. :)

When we were teenagers, me & my best friend drove to Astroworld for the day and rode the Viper 17 times trying to get a good picture, which I still have.

:fro :cry

Mixability
09-13-2005, 09:34 AM
uhm... all you need is a coke or sprite can to get in 1/2 price.

what I can't stand are the proces of consessions!! Thats why I hide food nad drinks in my diaper bag! :lol

i'm not complaining about the price personally, because i opt for the season pass. i'm just mentioning it as a possible reason why attendance is down. yeah, concessions are insane, thats why i have an ice chest in my car and come in and out as i please! here's some advice from my stupid friends:

the superman coaster and budweiser don't mix! :drunk :vomit

FromWayDowntown
09-13-2005, 10:01 AM
I remember being about 6 years old and getting caught in the skyride when it got stuck during a rainstorm. My dad and I were suspended over the "Japanese area" for what seemed like hours (I'm sure it was about 5 minutes). Good times.

Now that the park is closing, I'm particularly glad that the chicken ways of my youth gave way to teenage-dom, which allowed me to go back to Astroworld and finally ride the Cyclone and Greased Lightning.

Spurminator
09-13-2005, 10:03 AM
I think my first loop (on the Viper) when I was 10 years old is the second most thrilling experience of my life.

davi78239
09-13-2005, 10:06 AM
What ride might come to Fiesta from Astroworld?

MiNuS
09-13-2005, 10:18 AM
AstroWorld!

I was there first when I was about 8 y/o. AstroWorld used to to be my DisneyWorld. I have alot of memories with my cousins and grandparents going there.
I enjoyed the Jungle Boat tour as a kid.

I guess it was already to old and not being maintained.

batman2883
09-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Man the Batman ride was the shit i hope they move it here, you could actually stand up and ride the ride it felt as if you were Me Batman escaping from the clutches of the penguin

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2005, 10:49 AM
No more Greased Lightening or Ultra Twister? This is a sad, sad day.

Swishy McJackass
09-13-2005, 10:55 AM
I saw the Monkees (or about 3/4 of the Monkees) perform there when I was a kid. Good times. We took our senior trip there as well.

A couple of friends and I went to Astroworld a year out of high school. There was some new band called 98 Degrees performing, so we thought we'd check it out. Had no idea it was a damn boy band. I think I fell asleep.

Needless to say, I will miss the place. Lots of good memories.

SWC Bonfire
09-13-2005, 10:57 AM
A couple of friends and I went to Astroworld a year out of high school. There was some new band called 98 Degrees performing, so we thought we'd check it out. Had no idea it was a damn boy band. I think I fell asleep.

You have got to be f'ing shitting me.

ObiwanGinobili
09-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Man the Batman ride was the shit i hope they move it here, you could actually stand up and ride the ride it felt as if you were Me Batman escaping from the clutches of the penguin

now that my mom can walk again , she was feelign pretty good about herself (been on her feet for 3 yrs now and hasn't had any leg collapse or loss of feeling in 2 yrs) so she went with us to AstroWorld last year.
Batman became her 1st rollercoaster ride in 12 years! :tu good times, man, good times. :fro She LOVED it and went on 3 times in a row :tu
my mom rocks!

batman2883
09-13-2005, 11:30 AM
so many memories of me and obi in the Coney Island area...good times..good times

spurs_2108
09-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Astroworld doesn't make that much money. Fiesta Texas makes the most money out of the 3 Six Flags parks in Texas. Fiesta Texas might get a coaster, but probably not. Other parks such at SFNE or SFDL might them.

batman2883
09-13-2005, 01:52 PM
SIX FLAGS in arlington sucks badly the only good part of that one is Gotham City

Willinsa
09-13-2005, 09:48 PM
You know I remember going to Astroworld around 1984 and the roaring rapids ride had like a 2 hour wait. Well I went last summer and there was no line on that ride or any ride. It was sad that in the middle of july on a weekend there were not many people at the park.

This is a sad sad day. :depressed :depressed

Spurfect
09-13-2005, 09:53 PM
man i heard about that too. me being in houston i really love astroworld and it's so sad they are closing after 38 years!! i think they'll be open one more month. better go now while i have the chance!! then it is no more texas cyclone (one of my favorites) and serial thriller.. dangit!! :( :( :(

boutons
09-13-2005, 10:12 PM
There's always Playland Park on Broadway.

Mixability
09-13-2005, 10:13 PM
There's always Playland Park on Broadway.

:lol :lol :lol