PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Summer League grades through 3 games

Splits
07-14-2015, 12:10 AM
x-posted at LG

Jordan Clarkson
Grade: A-
Let's start with the positive news. Clarkson is NBA ready as he proved last year and will be a starter in the league for years to come. He showed confidence, professionalism, and agility not only in his moves but his ability to run the offense. The only flaws in the SL was his shooting from distance (26%) and his poor shooting night in game 3 (3/14). Otherwise would have been an A+

Tarik Black
Grade: B
Black showed flashes on offense, making more than 50% of his FGA from the field in limited attempts. He seems to have good defensive instincts, but the incessant fouling is worrysome. 10 fouls in game 1, 8 in game 2, but only 3 in game 3 gives one hope.

Larry Nance Jr.
Grade: D-
This guy doesn't even look like he belongs on a D-League roster, much less being paid a guaranteed contract by an NBA team. He has no midrange game, shot 33% against scrub competition, had 13 fouls in limited minutes of 3 games. Ughhh. Only upside is he had 2 blocks in 1 game and 3 steals tonight. Otherwise, he looks like a bust. There's a reason he spent 4 years at Wyoming and was projected as a late second rounder

Julius Randle
Grade: F
Uh oh. I was really high on this guy when we drafted him (hence the username) but these 3 games could not have gone worse. His shot outside of 5 feet is completely broken, he is very slow, he just bulls into the lane, almost out of control, not to mention he looks fat, out of shape, and had to sit 1 of the 3 games due to fatigue. He should be on the trade block.

D'Angelo Russell
What a terrible summer league for D-Russ. He accumulated 20 turnovers, 10 assists, and 10 made FGs through 3 games. He showed no explosiveness, his shot is broken, and he seems to have lost confidence in anything he was trying to do, to the point Madson benched him in the 4th quarter of game 3. Seriously a worrying situation. Should we have stuck with the safe Okafor pick?

Robert Upshaw
Umm, there's a reason this headcase went undrafted. And there is no reason the Lakers should have given him guaranteed money. The kid couldn't stay on the court, scored 2 points in 3 games, committed 12 fouls to go along with 8 boards and 4 blocks... IN 3 GAMES. Uggggggghhhhh, big mistake.

Mark Madson
Tought to judge the Madman given how poorly his key players performed. But I didn't like sitting Randle the 2nd day of the back to back and I definitely didn't like D'Angelo being embarrassed by getting benched in crunch time of game 3.

DJR210
07-14-2015, 12:52 AM
:lol Lakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct7Ltz7oU4s

Real Dealer Sex Appealer holding it down for Laker Nation

skut_farkus
07-14-2015, 01:02 AM
How is Okafor doing? :lmao

SuperCam
07-14-2015, 01:10 AM
How is Okafor doing? :lmao

Pretty, pretty good tbh. gotta work on those FTs, but at worst he will be a 20/10 guy for 8-10 years.

Lakers passed on champion to draft D'bust :lol Champs curse will haunt them for a decade...

http://twt-thumbs.washtimes.com/media/image/2015/04/09/889a51889d21f30f720f6a7067006695_c0-772-1958-1913_s561x327.jpg?2f5ec590333846f9de6dd0f2284bf523 3e217768

TheSanityAnnex
07-14-2015, 01:42 AM

I didn't know this guy had another video :lmao

Based210 can you make me an animated gif of the real dealer for an avi? The most retarded looks he makes would be perfect.

DJR210
07-14-2015, 02:06 AM
I didn't know this guy had another video :lmao

Based210 can you make me an animated gif of the real dealer for an avi? The most retarded looks he makes would be perfect.

:lol Real Dealer gif successfully added to queue

TheSanityAnnex
07-14-2015, 02:15 AM
:lol Real Dealer gif successfully added to queue
:worthy: Based210 :worthy:

Aztecfan03
07-14-2015, 02:19 AM

that is terrible.

Calispursfan11
07-14-2015, 02:47 AM
x-posted at LG

Jordan Clarkson
Let's start with the positive news. Clarkson is NBA ready as he proved last year and will be a starter in the league for years to come. He showed confidence, professionalism, and agility not only in his moves but his ability to run the offense. The only flaws in the SL was his shooting from distance (26%) and his poor shooting night in game 3 (3/14). Otherwise would have been an A+

Tarik Black
Black showed flashes on offense, making more than 50% of his FGA from the field in limited attempts. He seems to have good defensive instincts, but the incessant fouling is worrysome. 10 fouls in game 1, 8 in game 2, but only 3 in game 3 gives one hope.

Larry Nance Jr.
This guy doesn't even look like he belongs on a D-League roster, much less being paid a guaranteed contract by an NBA team. He has no midrange game, shot 33% against scrub competition, had 13 fouls in limited minutes of 3 games. Ughhh. Only upside is he had 2 blocks in 1 game and 3 steals tonight. Otherwise, he looks like a bust. There's a reason he spent 4 years at Wyoming and was projected as a late second rounder

Julius Randle
Uh oh. I was really high on this guy when we drafted him (hence the username) but these 3 games could not have gone worse. His shot outside of 5 feet is completely broken, he is very slow, he just bulls into the lane, almost out of control, not to mention he looks fat, out of shape, and had to sit 1 of the 3 games due to fatigue. He should be on the trade block.

D'Angelo Russell
What a terrible summer league for D-Russ. He accumulated 20 turnovers, 10 assists, and 10 made FGs through 3 games. He showed no explosiveness, his shot is broken, and he seems to have lost confidence in anything he was trying to do, to the point Madson benched him in the 4th quarter of game 3. Seriously a worrying situation. Should we have stuck with the safe Okafor pick?

Robert Upshaw
Umm, there's a reason this headcase went undrafted. And there is no reason the Lakers should have given him guaranteed money. The kid couldn't stay on the court, scored 2 points in 3 games, committed 12 fouls to go along with 8 boards and 4 blocks... IN 3 GAMES. Uggggggghhhhh, big mistake.

Mark Madson
Tought to judge the Madman given how poorly his key players performed. But I didn't like sitting Randle the 2nd day of the back to back and I definitely didn't like D'Angelo being embarrassed by getting benched in crunch time of game 3.

Good grades but Imma correct your spelling brah. It's "MADSEN" not "MADSON" lol.

DJR210
07-14-2015, 03:47 AM
that is terrible.

Thought it was perfectly fitting for a thread about Laker prospects :tu

LkrFan
07-14-2015, 03:51 AM
x-posted at LG

Jordan Clarkson

Tarik Black

Larry Nance Jr.

Julius Randle

D'Angelo Russell

Robert Upshaw

Mark Madson
Who is X?

Reck
07-14-2015, 04:19 AM
As an x marks the spot.

Koolaid_Man
07-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Jordan Clarkson
Grade: B. He's worried he wont get no playing time with Lou Williams on the Squad and so he's being a ball hog....he's worse than Nick Young...Jordan wont pass it for shit....he'd rather turn it over...I dont think Kobe taught him that....
Tarik Black
Grade B...this guy is solid....a little more work on his outside shot and will be a legit stretch 4...

Nance Jr.
Grade B. Good effort and hustle....considering Clarkson dont like passing....Nance is a steal at his position and gets those loose balls and creates havoc..I love this kid..

Julius Randle
Grade F. Pressing too much..too anxious...needs,to work on being a better finisher...he's strong all muscle tbh..no fat..clean your eye glasses...still gets a failing grade thus far..

D'Angelo Russell
Seems passive...allowing Clarkson to steal his shine.....seems unsure of himself...seems like he's being patient and trying to think the game...never gets too high or low emotionally like Clarkson does...he's trying to be a floor leader and I give him credit for that but he needs to get better on his off the screen jumper....he needs a quick release shot like Curry...he's still 3 yrs away...I know we've been spoiled with Kobe so I wont expect Russell to be Kobe like...I will let him be him..still though he gets an F for now..and I'm taking his picture down until he improves...also he's an extremely poor finisher at the rim...he needs a lot of work...I still like the pick over Okafer....Okafer will be a bust...and there is something wrong with his knee....I dont trust Okafer tbh

Upshaw
Grade: D
He's raw but in 2 yrs will be an elite defender..its what I expected from a former weed head...he just needs to work and practice with some vets...he has the physical tools to be great....he has no confidence right now...

All this Summer league has shown me is that Byron has no vision for these guys..he's just throwing them out there and saying let me see if you can play..I like Byron as a Laker great..but I'm down on him as a coach...I wish we'd pay him and let him go....

Mark Celibate
07-14-2015, 07:40 AM
Kool speaking truth about Russell, never thought he could speak the hard truth about someone he thought so highly of just few weeks ago.

Koolaid_Man
07-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Kool speaking truth about Russell, never thought he could speak the hard truth about someone he thought so highly of just few weeks ago.

I'm not throwing him under the bus but he needs work....high turn overs but half not his fault...these guys have to get used to playing with each other..will take time....but his size will be for naught...he's too weak to post anyone up...he needs to work on 3 things..

1. Quick release shot like Curry...i noticed he wont shoot it unless he gets a clean pick with plenty of time to get the shot off...that's unrealistic....and when he pulls up in transition for a quick shot he's 50/50 right now..not too bad I guess but I dont trust it to be consistent...

2. Mid range like CP0...he needs to develop and use this since it looks as if he will have a weak post game...his height advantage will likely only come in the open court when he's passing...he will have good court vision....

3. Finishing at the rim....every time I've seen him get to the rim he throws up some bullshit wild shot...he looks to be a poor finisher..but this can be corrected....he can handle the pressure, the defensive presses just fine...he looks great controlling the offense under pressure to be honest...he looks like a vet out there until its time to put the ball in the hole...:lol

Overall observation again is that he's too timid...one more year of college would have benefited him greatly...I think he's caught up in numbers right now...he was the 2nd pick thought he should have went #1 while Clarkson who was drafted 46th in the 2nd round is basically taking his shine....he better get his head outta the sand and fast..get over himself already and just play ball...

Still though I would have picked Russell over Okafer...Okafer is straight up fools gold...his knee looks suspect and he's undersized for his position...when the real games start Okafer should start showing he's a bust...and a porker too..he will have weight issues....

I suspect Russell will turn it around soon...he just doesnt play well with Clarkson...and I think its because Byron wont give them an identity...Clarkson is trying to run the point and take all the shots as well....this could be what's confusing D'Angelo...but he wont say anything being a rookie...too bad we have Byron as our coach...it's these type of things that I know Byron doesnt see...

Mark Celibate
07-14-2015, 08:28 AM
So do you still believe his ceiling is Magic, or a more realistic mold - Shaun Livingston?

Koolaid_Man
07-14-2015, 08:40 AM
So do you still believe his ceiling is Magic, or a more realistic mold - Shaun Livingston?

Not magic..he doesnt have that dawg in him I was looking for....but most of this Depends on if we get rid of Byron or not..and depends on how Kobe pushes him...he's had no interaction on court with Kobe at this time....I think he will be a great player..I think he's the black version of John Stockton tbh and thats his ceiling which aint bad at all......right now even though his stats aren't good he's showing me he thinks the game and has good qualities of a floor general ....

StrengthAndHonor
07-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Russell is not going to win you games with his athleticism, that was obvious in college but he has insane court vision and a vet like poise I really love. I wouldn't fault him for the turnovers just yet, his DLeague teammates have Kwame hands and coordination. He's going to be a star but I believe he's going to be a 3 year project.

Conditioning, lateral quickness and explosiveness needs major work though. Tim Grover would do wonders for this kid. He's going to be so effective once everything clicks. I see him as a taller, fancier and better shooting version of Mike Conley.

Koolaid_Man
07-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Russell is not going to win you games with his athleticism, that was obvious in college but he has insane court vision and a vet like poise I really love. I wouldn't fault him for the turnovers just yet, his DLeague teammates have Kwame hands and coordination. He's going to be a star but I believe he's going to be a 3 year project.

Conditioning, lateral quickness and explosiveness needs major work though. Tim Grover would do wonders for this kid. He's going to be so effective once everything clicks. I see him as a taller, fancier and better shooting version of Mike Conley.

I remember quite well..KG. Kobe..and Curry were all 3yr projects before they busted wide open...

Dex
07-14-2015, 10:42 AM
If Russell ends up being a bust...

:lmao :lmao :lmao Lakers :lmao :lmao :lmao

Koolaid_Man
07-14-2015, 10:49 AM
If Russell ends up being a bust...

:lmao :lmao :lmao Lakers :lmao :lmao :lmao

Why are you laughing so hard on an if...you're cheering for a queer

Thread
07-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Why are you laughing so hard on an if...you're cheering for a queer

Kool, every chamber filled.

StrengthAndHonor
07-14-2015, 11:55 AM
I remember quite well..KG. Kobe..and Curry were all 3yr projects before they busted wide open...
Yes, I see that in him. He has extremely high IQ and has a natural feel of the game. You can't teach those. Time is all the kid needs.

Raven
07-14-2015, 12:14 PM

i really don't get it how can someone be a star after x years, but does not have the athleticism to back it up.. From my point of view, he was supposed to be the most nba ready guy and i LOL hardly at those who say pg is the toughest position to learn.. more like the easiest since they handle the ball all the time and have been doing so all their life..

Killakobe81
07-14-2015, 12:25 PM

Much better comparison and and good analysis. I know everyone here hopes he and Randle bust but come on it's SL who cares?!

Now if this does not improve over the course of the season THEN I will be worried.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-14-2015, 02:18 PM
They brought Mark Madsen back? :lmao

ducks
07-14-2015, 10:12 PM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25241462/young-lakers-have-been-bad-at-summer-league-which-is-perfectly-fine?FTAG=YHF7e3228e