PDA

View Full Version : A year later and I still think Kyle Anderson is Manu's replacement

Cklbmk
07-14-2015, 04:56 PM
yall laughed at me a year ago but he is doing everything that he needs to be doing. He is a complete change of pace to give everything a different look which is exactly what we need for the commander of the bench unit.

People keep complaining about his defense but if you look at the stats he is actually a well above average defender in the nNBA. He might be slow but he uses his length extremely effectively.

People hate on his jumpshot but that will come around. I don't think its a fluke that he shot damn well in college.

So what are your reasons to continue hating on our future?

kawhi-Lamarcus-Kyle Anderson big 3 of the future.

Sean Cagney
07-14-2015, 04:58 PM
I think dude is too slow for the NBA game, unless he does get a reliable jumper there is no way IMO. Manu was quick in his prime and could shoot the ball etc., Slo Mo is just so damn slow and his J is unreliable, don't see him amounting to much personally but that is just my opinion.

TrainOfThought5
07-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Slomo may be Diaws replacement, but he damn sure aint Manu's.

steeledl
07-14-2015, 05:03 PM
He fucking sucks. Nothing he does will translate to the NBA floor.... if he is in our rotation we're fucked. Can't shoot, cant guard, can't create.

K...
07-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Obv. Op didn't pay his respects to the temple of Simmons.

steeledl
07-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Pretty sure this is a troll post but I took the bait.

Dingle Barry
07-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Slomo may be Diaws replacement, but he damn sure aint Manu's.

It's startling to ponder how slow he'd be if he added the weight necessary to do all the things Boris does.

dabom
07-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Pitty post

vander
07-14-2015, 05:06 PM
lol

no, seriously I'm laughing loudly and I'm a manu hater

the fact that people can come to conclusions like this is why we have Obama as president

Brox6
07-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Too slow to be Manu ver 2 and too soft to be Bobo ver 2

TimDunkem
07-14-2015, 05:12 PM
His game isn't really like Diaw's. Why do people keep throwing around that comparison?

steeledl
07-14-2015, 05:15 PM
His game isn't really like Diaw's. Why do people keep throwing around that comparison?

Some analyst said it when he was drafted and it stuck. It's retarded.

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Probably shouldn't start a thread with "y'all laughed at me about a year ago", considering Anderson hasn't been impressive in SL, tbh:lol..

SuperCam
07-14-2015, 05:20 PM
He's terrible. You'll hemorrhage points trying to put this guy on opposing SFs, let alone SGs.

Spurtacular
07-14-2015, 05:21 PM
The fact that people can come to conclusions like this is why we have Obama as president

SpurAddict561
07-14-2015, 05:27 PM
There is no replacement for Emanuel Ginobili.

EVER

skulls138
07-14-2015, 05:41 PM

EVERDamn straight. He might replace him in the lineup but replace his talent? No. That'd be a tall order for even Kawhi.

steeledl
07-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Damn straight. He might replace him in the lineup but replace his talent? No. That'd be a tall order for even Kawhi.

Manu really only had a couple of years as an all star level NBA player, unfortunately. He came in the league older and slowed down quickly. Kawhi, if he remains injury free, will have a much better NBA career than Manu.

palangi
07-14-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm as big an Anderson fan as most here. But I don't believe he is a big 3 quality. He is a rotational guy. Ands that is important on a championship team. But he is not a big 3. He is not the cog, he is apart of the cog.

palangi
07-14-2015, 06:00 PM
He fucking sucks. Nothing he does will translate to the NBA floor.... if he is in our rotation we're fucked. Can't shoot, cant guard, can't create.

You're an idiot. His rebounding is way above abstracted for the 3 spot. And it does translate into an NBA skill.

ElNono
07-14-2015, 06:02 PM
I'm rooting for Kyle, but it's not really clear at this point that he'll have a long and fruitful NBA career... much less a spot in Springfield, MA...

Hoops Czar
07-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Pitty post
I pity this "pitty" post

Nathan89
07-14-2015, 06:03 PM
He is a complete change of pace

You got that right

SAGirl
07-14-2015, 06:04 PM
The jury is still out on him. Still too young. Even MAnu himself did not join the spurs until he was already a veteran player abroad and there is no replacing generational talents. Kyle is going to be his own name, by that I mean his slow mo style is unique and it is up to him to show us what he can do with his talent. Names are made in the postseason. We will see. I believe though that he will continue to improve. He is so young after all.

steeledl
07-14-2015, 06:08 PM
You're an idiot. His rebounding is way above abstracted for the 3 spot. And it does translate into an NBA skill.

We have Tim Duncan, David West, LMA, Diaw, Leonard.... yeah, i dont think we need a rotation wing player whos only marketable skill is being above average at rebounding.

kawhidoyoudothistome
07-14-2015, 06:10 PM
He's very slow, which normally wouldn't be a problem with his other nice skills, but today's NBA looks slightly faster than before. Maybe it's just me. His long wingspan means he can disrupt passing lanes, shots at the rim, and grab boards, but at least good side-to-side speed and explosiveness is needed defensively against other 3's in the NBA, and he lacks that. Guess he can be the next 6th man if he's a small ball 4, but I don't see him earning any awards as a normal 3 off the bench. Would love for him to succeed in whatever role he's thrown into, because he's a Spur when it comes to attitude and personality. Would be funny to see him in an HEB commercial, so I'm hoping he becomes something so that can happen.

BillMc
07-14-2015, 06:11 PM

EVER
Amen

Nathan89
Dude can't even create in the summer league. Simmons has been creating much better looks for his teammates. He's been a huge ballstopper for the team tbh.

His pts are all inflated by fts and a few weren't by anything he did (end of game and 1 other iirc). Unlikely that that will continue in the NBA.

Having him on the floor is another liability when switches on defense are made. He'll have to be a huge plus on offense to overcome this negative.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
I think by year 4 he'll be a competent rotation player. I'm hoping his smarts can compensate for his slows. There is precedent for this. We shall see.

Whatever you think though, it's way too early to write him off.

Nathan89
07-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Tiago Splitter would crush KA 1-on-1 imho. I can see Tiago locking KA down.

mbass
07-14-2015, 06:15 PM

EVER

Totally agree - he is one of a kind.

kawhidoyoudothistome
07-14-2015, 06:16 PM

I don't see this as a joke, btw.

skulls138
07-14-2015, 06:17 PM
His feet may be slow but his hands quick. I saw him on a steal and his hands looked quick. If he also has good hand eye coordination that makes up for alot of slowness in that he gets his hand on the ball and not the arm. He needs the 3 point shot though.

skulls138
07-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Manu really only had a couple of years as an all star level NBA player, unfortunately. He came in the league older and slowed down quickly. Kawhi, if he remains injury free, will have a much better NBA career than Manu.
He could have a better career but not a much better career. That's downright impossible. If Kawhi does have a better career it would be because of length of career not in comparing peak years. At his best Manu can be up there with the best of all time.

steeledl
07-14-2015, 06:28 PM
He could have a better career but not a much better career. That's downright impossible. If Kawhi does have a better career it would be because of length of career not in comparing peak years. At his best Manu can be up there with the best of all time.

I don't think Manu's peak was close to best all time... so we disagree there. Obviously Kawhi probably wont get as many rings as Manu because he didn't play with peak Duncan and peak Parker but if he continues to improve I think he will have a better career and a similar peak.

Gordy58
07-14-2015, 06:53 PM
Kyle leads the spurs sl team in scoring and people still find every negative thing to say about his game. He scores 8 points he's a total waste of human life to yall. :lol

ceperez
07-14-2015, 06:56 PM
For a 21 year old, he's got a lot of moves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfbEDZYI44E[/QUOTE]

He works within his physical limitations. What he does not have though is the kind of work ethic that Larry Bird had. Simmons with a lot more athleticism works his butt out. KA should learn a few things from his team mate.

james evans
07-14-2015, 06:57 PM
I think dude is too slow for the NBA game, unless he does get a reliable jumper there is no way IMO. Manu was quick in his prime and could shoot the ball etc., Slo Mo is just so damn slow and his J is unreliable, don't see him amounting to much personally but that is just my opinion.
well explain how Andre Miller has been in the league for 15 years. And even having a 50 pt game well past his prime. Paul pierce isn't exactly barbosa. Never has been. Being quick doesn't mean "good". One of the fastest backcourts in college bball 20 years ago was khalid reeves and damon stoudamire. Tyus edney was quick as a mouse. Quickness does't translate to being geat in the nba

cantthinkofanything
07-14-2015, 06:59 PM
well explain how Andre Miller has been in the league for 15 years. And even having a 50 pt game well past his prime

Miller is a fucking Cheetah compared to Anderson.

james evans
07-14-2015, 07:02 PM
LOL if you say so

TEXICAN
07-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Manu's a HOF, Kyle Anderson not so much

Sean Cagney
07-14-2015, 07:13 PM
well explain how Andre Miller has been in the league for 15 years. And even having a 50 pt game well past his prime. Paul pierce isn't exactly barbosa. Never has been. Being quick doesn't mean "good". One of the fastest backcourts in college bball 20 years ago was khalid reeves and damon stoudamire. Tyus edney was quick as a mouse. Quickness does't translate to being geat in the nba
Paul Pierce was an All Star for years man, dude can shoot as well unlike Anderson right now. Are you comparing him to these two or saying he will be close to that level? I know being quick does not mean good, but if your J is not great and you are very slow then? Thats two negatives. Damon Stoudamire was good in the NBA BTW., true quick doesn't always equate but in cases like Parker and Iverson it literally can make your career because of the speed to the bucket.

r0drig0lac
07-14-2015, 07:14 PM
it looks like a slower Bodiroga (if that's possible)

TXstbobcat
07-14-2015, 07:18 PM
Slomo needs to find a way to contribute enough as a consistent roll player before people start comparing him to current Spurs.

steeledl
07-14-2015, 07:19 PM

:lol:lol:lol laughably true.

Hoops Czar
07-14-2015, 07:35 PM

EVER

There are a lot of people here that thought LMA would replace Duncan which is also quite laughable. However, the amount of reading comprehension fail in this thread is also quite hilarious. The thread title doesn't read "replacing Ginobili". It reads "Ginobili's replacement". I'm pretty sure someone is going to have to occupy the backup pg/sg when Ginobili retires. But, KA will NOT be that guy.

ducks
07-14-2015, 07:35 PM
Totally agree - he is one of a kind.

just like david robinson tell Duncan came along to huh

Chinook
07-14-2015, 07:37 PM
The moves Anderson is using in the SL would translate to the NBA. He just needs to get better at them. He's scoring by staying relatively still and just sort of weaving through his defender. He's like ivy growing over a building. It's not going to be a matter of speed. Combine that with the fact that Anderson taking a Dirk shot is pretty much unblockable, and you have a guy who can score much better one-on-one than most here realize. However I don't see him drawing the help he'll need to be a great play-maker. He's only going to be able to do so much to break down the defense, but he'll be able to get his shot pretty much whenever he wants to.

ceperez
07-14-2015, 07:45 PM
The moves Anderson is using in the SL would translate to the NBA. He just needs to get better at them. He's scoring by staying relatively still and just sort of weaving through his defender. He's like ivy growing over a building. It's not going to be a matter of speed. Combine that with the fact that Anderson taking a Dirk shot is pretty much unblockable, and you have a guy who can score much better one-on-one than most here realize. However I don't see him drawing the help he'll need to be a great play-maker. He's only going to be able to do so much to break down the defense, but he'll be able to get his shot pretty much whenever he wants to.

Isn't the 2nd shot in this a Dirk shot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfbEDZYI44E[/QUOTE]

Spurs still need to figure out exactly how to use his talent.

The most effective time I've seen him is against the Blazers where he repeatedly posted up a smaller guards. He can score a bunch if the opponents insist on countering with two guard lineups.

To make the regular Spurs rotation though, he'll need to be more deadly from the 3 point line.

Darkwaters
07-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Kyle leads the spurs sl team in scoring and people still find every negative thing to say about his game. He scores 8 points he's a total waste of human life to yall. :lol

Summer league is summer league. It holds about as much value as Presidential campaign promises. They're both enticing and easy to get wrapped up in the excitement. And both make for an exciting lead up to November. But by the time it's January you realize "Oh my God - were we really excited about this idiot?"

SL is all good and well, and I'm glad Kyle has played well. But he also looked really solid in Austin last year too. Unfortunately, that didn't exactly translate when he actually played real NBA games and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Yes - I've been impressed with his rebounding. But above average rebounding for his position is not enough to entice me to play a guy that is also a bad shooter, terrible defender, and supremely overrated passer at this juncture.

At this point I think we need to hope that hes on the Cory Joseph schedule. Back to Austin - back to the drawing board. Go into year 3 as a fringe rotation guy and then have a breakout Year 4. Hopefully by the time hes ready for his second contract hes also ready for regular NBA minutes. Because right now hes not even close.

Mikeanaro
07-14-2015, 07:51 PM
I don't think Manu's peak was close to best all time... so we disagree there. Obviously Kawhi probably wont get as many rings as Manu because he didn't play with peak Duncan and peak Parker but if he continues to improve I think he will have a better career and a similar peak.
Well, you also think Porker had a better career than Manu, even with Gino being up there with Jordan Bird and Magic...

steeledl
07-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Well, you also think Porker had a better career than Manu, even with Gino being up there with Jordan Bird and Magic...

Retarded much?

Mikeanaro
07-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Retarded much?
I think you are, seriously.

ceperez
07-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Summer league is summer league. It holds about as much value as Presidential campaign promises. They're both enticing and easy to get wrapped up in the excitement. And both make for an exciting lead up to November. But by the time it's January you realize "Oh my God - were we really excited about this idiot?"

SL is all good and well, and I'm glad Kyle has played well. But he also looked really solid in Austin last year too. Unfortunately, that didn't exactly translate when he actually played real NBA games and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Yes - I've been impressed with his rebounding. But above average rebounding for his position is not enough to entice me to play a guy that is also a bad shooter, terrible defender, and supremely overrated passer at this juncture.

At this point I think we need to hope that hes on the Cory Joseph schedule. Back to Austin - back to the drawing board. Go into year 3 as a fringe rotation guy and then have a breakout Year 4. Hopefully by the time hes ready for his second contract hes also ready for regular NBA minutes. Because right now hes not even close.

Ah... that's the problem with a high first round draft pick, they are too young and by the time their game is good enough to be in the playoff rotation, they've spent 3-4 years developing under a rookie contract.

SAGirl
07-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Ah... that's the problem with a high first round draft pick, they are too young and by the time their game is good enough to be in the playoff rotation, they've spent 3-4 years developing under a rookie contract.
But if they are good enough to retain you have first dibs and matchup rights. It is possible though that you won't be able to afford him by then like Cojo, but if you are in that situation it is hopefully because you have your $ committed to better talent. Spurs are on schedule to loose some BiG caliber talent to retirement within a couple of years anyways. You do need to have at least a couple of project young guys for when that happens.

skulls138
07-14-2015, 08:25 PM

At this point I think we need to hope that hes on the Cory Joseph schedule. Back to Austin - back to the drawing board. Go into year 3 as a fringe rotation guy and then have a breakout Year 4. Hopefully by the time hes ready for his second contract hes also ready for regular NBA minutes. Because right now hes not even close.I don't put too much stock in his NBA games as showing his potential. Unfortunately he is a player that is used to handling the ball, which he probably did in Austin, but now has to do with waiting his turn like Kawhi did. Unlike Kawhi KA doesn't have a ready made skill that can contribute instantly.
I also think SL is not a good place to judge his passing. I don't know how good he was in Austin but passing takes familiarity which there isn't in SL
Having said all that, I may agree w/you on your last paragraph especially with Simmons success.

exstatic
07-14-2015, 08:35 PM

They're both 6'8" 6'9" guys who can pass off the dribble. Not too many of those. Most bigs can only pass in from the high post or out of the low post.

100%duncan
07-14-2015, 08:49 PM
A year later and you are still wrong

elemento
07-14-2015, 09:00 PM
I dunno if this is a troll post or not (I don't give a shit if it's tbh), but I've always felt that Kyle's best position for San Antonio would be as a 2nd unit leader, just like Manu. I don't think he will ever be as good as Manu, but I do believe that he has a place on this team going forward.

Kyle Anderson will never be able to guard starting SFs or PFs. Too slow to play in the perimeter, too skinny to deal with opposite starting PFs. If he plays off the bench, it doesn't matter if the plays either forward position, because he will be guarding bench players.

He is much better with the ball on his hands, so playing him off the ball pretty much take his best strength.

Playing him "a la Manu" simply makes sense.

Sean Cagney
07-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Slomo needs to find a way to contribute enough as a consistent roll player before people start comparing him to current Spurs.

See I agree there, some need to slow down on Slo Mo comparing him to Manu and whoever said Pierce as well.

Woah, huge Manu fan but slown down on near the best of all time or up there. He was an all star but nowhere near a top 25 player all time even at his peak.

Darkwaters
07-14-2015, 09:14 PM

Surely you're not implying hes a high 1st round pick? He was number 30. Hes very fortunate he didn't slip into the second - because it very nearly happened!

ohmwrecker
07-14-2015, 09:18 PM
:lol I can see the comparison in some ways... but he will never be as quick and squirmy as Manu. However, he has an quirky style and awkward shot release that, if he develops consistency, he could turn into some solid moves and shots that are hard to defend. That lean-in floater could be solid and his fadeaway looks promising. He needs to improve on passing, rebounding and defense if he wants to even begin to be a solid contributer to the team.

*bookmark this thread for when KA is sixth man and Simmons is playing in Europe.

SpurPadre
07-14-2015, 09:22 PM
A year later and I think Kyle Anderson is even slower and will never be Manu's replacement.

Nathan89
07-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Combine that with the fact that Anderson taking a Dirk shot is pretty much unblockable

You don't need to block it because he clanks a good portion off the front of the rim. Unless his shot gets significantly better he's going to be a really inefficient 1-on-1 player that doesn't create anything for his teammates.

Darkwaters
07-14-2015, 09:28 PM
I don't put too much stock in his NBA games as showing his potential. Unfortunately he is a player that is used to handling the ball, which he probably did in Austin, but now has to do with waiting his turn like Kawhi did. Unlike Kawhi KA doesn't have a ready made skill that can contribute instantly.
I also think SL is not a good place to judge his passing. I don't know how good he was in Austin but passing takes familiarity which there isn't in SL
Having said all that, I may agree w/you on your last paragraph especially with Simmons success.

Unfortunately the goal is to be able to play in the NBA eventually. When you spend time at that level and look clearly overmatched then yea, I think it matters. He doesn't need to dominate by any means. He just needs to look like he belongs and contribute to the team effort. We just haven't seen that except in a few isolated spurts so far. Hopefully with time those spurts become more consistent and eventually they're the rule and not the exception. It all takes time.

He needs to identify areas in his game that he can improve. But not just that, he needs to focus on parts of his game that will need to be become core competencies to exist at the NBA level. It reminds me of the Tim Duncan summer league/Greg Ostertag story (mythology). As the legend goes, Pop told Duncan to play the game favoring his left hand throughout in order help him develop that part of his game. Tim could have dominated Greg Ostertag with his right hand, but it was more important to grow with his left. Even if that story is fiction, it still exemplifies what Kyle Anderson will need to do. Go to Austin and don't focus on what will work in Austin - focus on what will work in San Antonio.

Consider also the case study of Danny Green. Cut by the Cavs. Signed by the Spurs at the start of the 2010 season and cut six days later. When he was released they told him what he needed to improve to be viable in the NBA. So Danny improved those traits and eventually got called back to the Spurs where he continued to develop those traits. The lockout happened. Danny went to Ljubljana and continued to improve on those traits. Danny Green is hardly a complete player. He has huge holes in his game. But hes making awesome money and is one of the very best at his role in the world.

Kyle needs to really talk with the Spurs and determine what path will make him most effective. What skills will be most important. And then go get as good at those things as possible.

Chinook
07-14-2015, 09:29 PM
A year later and you are still wrong

:lol

Depends on how you look at it. He'll never be as good as Manu, but he does look to be in line to replace Manu in the lineup.

SpurPadre
07-14-2015, 09:35 PM

Depends on how you look at it. He'll never be as good as Manu, but he does look to be in line to replace Manu in the lineup.

People used to say that about De Colo and then Hanga, tbh.

TimDunkem
07-14-2015, 09:37 PM
They're both 6'8" 6'9" guys who can pass off the dribble. Not too many of those. Most bigs can only pass in from the high post or out of the low post.

Two similarities does not mean that they have the same game. People here are expecting a Diaw 2.0 when they're almost completely different players.

PublicOption
07-14-2015, 09:42 PM
KA is so smooth at his age. and manu is still all over the place sometimes.

Chinook
07-14-2015, 09:42 PM
People used to say that about De Colo and then Hanga, tbh.

Pretty big difference, seeing as neither were first-rounders and Manu wasn't on the doorstep of retirement when they were under contract.

And Hanga has always sucked.

SpurPadre
07-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Pretty big difference, seeing as neither were first-rounders and Manu wasn't on the doorstep of retirement when they were under contract.

And Hanga has always sucked.

But scouts and fans did describe them as heir apparents to Manu and Anderson was a reach when he was picked. Most mock drafts had him going in the 2nd round.

AFBlue
07-14-2015, 09:47 PM
To me, I don't see a marked improvement in his game from what he flashed in college. He knows the system better, but I don't see a refined jumper or improved dribble drive. He's comfortable in the system and confident is the skills he already possessed when coming into the league, but he'll need to continue developing to make an impact on the next level. time is on his side though. They probably won't need him for another year.

ceperez
07-14-2015, 09:48 PM
To me, I don't see a marked improvement in his game from what he flashed in college. He knows the system better, but I don't see a refined jumper or improved dribble drive. He's comfortable in the system and confident is the skills he already possessed when coming into the league, but he'll need to continue developing to make an impact on the next level. time is on his side though. They probably won't need him for another year.

He's learning to score even with contact. That's the main difference.

Cklbmk
07-14-2015, 09:49 PM
But scouts and fans did describe them as heir apparents to Manu and Anderson was a reach when he was picked. Most mock drafts had him going in the 2nd round.

Most mocks had him going between 10 and 18. WTF is this 2nd round shit.

Everyone expected Phoenix would take him if he made it that far.

AFBlue
07-14-2015, 09:49 PM

That second statement is just flat wrong. Most mock drafts had Anderson anywhere from 15-25 up to draft night. He was one of the most skilled players in the entire draft.

Chinook
07-14-2015, 09:54 PM

Anderson was considered a late-lottery picks. His production and unique skill-set were considered very intriguing. I don't think anyone could say 30 was a reach before the draft. Maybe after, seeing as there were still some interesting players on the board at 30 (though none were even as successful as Kyle last year, I don't believe).

100%duncan
07-14-2015, 09:54 PM

I mean I dont hate Kyle. I think he is pretty smart, especially against that Utah game, I liked that he kept attacking instead of shooting jumpers esp during the last 2 offensive plays. Although he missed them both, you know that the dude knows what's the right thing to do at certain situations. Unfortunately, I just dont see him even coming close to the 6th man manu, as he just doesnt have the athleticism, quickness, and scoring ability to do so. I would love for him to prove me wrong but if he was indeed the manu "replacement" then I think we would be screwed tbh.

AFBlue
07-14-2015, 09:55 PM
He's learning to score even with contact. That's the main difference.

Meh. He's running up against smaller, less skilled defenders. He likely won't be as big of a mismatch on the next level in terms of size and smarts. I look at him a lot like I look at Evan Turner. Evan had a rough transition to the NBA because he didn't have the requisite athleticism and he couldn't outsmart his defenders either. I don't think Anderson will be bad, but he needs to develop a more reliable jumper and/or pick up his pace of play in general to be effective at the next level...imo tbqh.

SpurPadre
07-14-2015, 09:57 PM
That second statement is just flat wrong. Most mock drafts had Anderson anywhere from 15-25 up to draft night. He was one of the most skilled players in the entire draft.

I've read several articles at the time that expressed surprise Anderson was picked in the first round, citing his lack of athleticism and speed.

Chinook
07-14-2015, 09:59 PM
I mean I dont hate Kyle. I think he is pretty smart, especially against that Utah game, I liked that he kept attacking instead of shooting jumpers esp during the last 2 offensive plays. Although he missed them both, you know that the dude knows what's the right thing to do at certain situations. Unfortunately, I just dont see him even coming close to the 6th man manu, as he just doesnt have the athleticism, quickness, and scoring ability to do so. I would love for him to prove me wrong but if he was indeed the manu "replacement" then I think we would be screwed tbh.

Well someone has to be. When Tim retires, there's going to be someone starting at center next to LMA. That guy will be Tim's replacement. It doesn't matter than whomever they get will likely not be nearly as good a Prime Tim or even Old Tim. He'll be gone, and someone will replace him. It's the nature of the beast. Anderson is going to be much better on offense than people realize. Almost everything he's done in the d-league and summer league he'll be able to do in the pros. Dude's going to be a foul-drawing machine, and he'll eventually be able to score at will. He'll need time with the rest of the bench to get used to them, though. I don't think he'll be a sixth man unless he spells one of the bigs for the first substitution, but I definitely think he can be an elite second-unit floor general with time.

SpurPadre
07-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Anderson was considered a late-lottery picks. His production and unique skill-set were considered very intriguing. I don't think anyone could say 30 was a reach before the draft. Maybe after, seeing as there were still some interesting players on the board at 30 (though none were even as successful as Kyle last year, I don't believe).

Agreed. I'm not hating on the pick and there's still time for him to be a decent contributor but he's got a long way to go.

Chinook
07-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Meh. He's running up against smaller, less skilled defenders. He likely won't be as big of a mismatch on the next level in terms of size and smarts.

I think you overestimate the caliber of players who make up bench threes. I read somewhere that the average height of an NBA SF is under 6-6. I imagine that's even more pronounced for bench threes. Anderson will have the size advantage over most of his defenders. He has an elite BBIQ, and he can obviously get smarter. So I think he will totally be able to continue using his size and skill at the NBA level. He hasn't even maxed out his potential along those lines yet.

100%duncan
07-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Well someone has to be. When Tim retires, there's going to be someone starting at center next to LMA. That guy will be Tim's replacement. It doesn't matter than whomever they get will likely not be nearly as good a Prime Tim or even Old Tim. He'll be gone, and someone will replace him. It's the nature of the beast. Anderson is going to be much better on offense than people realize. Almost everything he's done in the d-league and summer league he'll be able to do in the pros. Dude's going to be a foul-drawing machine, and he'll eventually be able to score at will. He'll need time with the rest of the bench to get used to them, though. I don't think he'll be a sixth man unless he spells one of the bigs for the first substitution, but I definitely think he can be an elite second-unit floor general with time.
I know that that's why I said if he was indeed the replacement then we would be screwed, in other words, I won't get too excited. But yah I agree pretty much.

ElNono
07-14-2015, 10:35 PM

I don't see him as a PG/SG in any capacity in this league, not starting, no backup (outside the garbage time spells).

Don't take this the wrong way, it's just an opinion, but I think you're way off in your assessment of him. I think you're a solid poster, but when it comes to Kyle, I keep in shaking my head :lol

Obviously, it could simply be me being wrong about all this :toast

ElNono
07-14-2015, 10:37 PM
I think you overestimate the caliber of players who make up bench threes. I read somewhere that the average height of an NBA SF is under 6-6. I imagine that's even more pronounced for bench threes. Anderson will have the size advantage over most of his defenders. He has an elite BBIQ, and he can obviously get smarter. So I think he will totally be able to continue using his size and skill at the NBA level. He hasn't even maxed out his potential along those lines yet.

(shakes head again)

cantthinkofanything
07-14-2015, 10:56 PM
LOL if you say so

A...mother...fucking...bionic...cheetah

skulls138
07-14-2015, 11:08 PM
Unfortunately the goal is to be able to play in the NBA eventually. When you spend time at that level and look clearly overmatched then yea, I think it matters. He doesn't need to dominate by any means. He just needs to look like he belongs and contribute to the team effort. We just haven't seen that except in a few isolated spurts so far. Hopefully with time those spurts become more consistent and eventually they're the rule and not the exception. It all takes time.

He needs to identify areas in his game that he can improve. But not just that, he needs to focus on parts of his game that will need to be become core competencies to exist at the NBA level. It reminds me of the Tim Duncan summer league/Greg Ostertag story (mythology). As the legend goes, Pop told Duncan to play the game favoring his left hand throughout in order help him develop that part of his game. Tim could have dominated Greg Ostertag with his right hand, but it was more important to grow with his left. Even if that story is fiction, it still exemplifies what Kyle Anderson will need to do. Go to Austin and don't focus on what will work in Austin - focus on what will work in San Antonio.

Consider also the case study of Danny Green. Cut by the Cavs. Signed by the Spurs at the start of the 2010 season and cut six days later. When he was released they told him what he needed to improve to be viable in the NBA. So Danny improved those traits and eventually got called back to the Spurs where he continued to develop those traits. The lockout happened. Danny went to Ljubljana and continued to improve on those traits. Danny Green is hardly a complete player. He has huge holes in his game. But hes making awesome money and is one of the very best at his role in the world.

Kyle needs to really talk with the Spurs and determine what path will make him most effective. What skills will be most important. And then go get as good at those things as possible.
Maybe that's what he's doing. I don't remember him going to the line as much and he isn't passing as much. That could be Pop telling him to play as a bigger person instead of being a point guard. He still needs a reliable 3, he's not that big

Solid D
07-14-2015, 11:11 PM
Kyle is a good player. He was the 5th best scorer and 4th best rebounder of the Utah Summer League (4 teams) and he's the 5th best scorer in the much more populous Vegas League (24 teams). He has been given the lead scoring role for the Vegas team. He is quite adept at getting to the line (sort of the Harden of the SL, in that department).

He's slow and he is not very quick as an on-ball defender, but he is a "basketball player" and he has a great feel for the game. He's a good asset to have.

SAGirl
07-14-2015, 11:34 PM

It seems that the path with him is long term. Consider this article http://www.48minutesofhell.com/kyle-anderson-sparks-summerspurs-win-over-bucks

"One of the challenges for Anderson is finding a way to play off the ball and still be effective. So far in Summer League he’s served as a secondary ball handler, tasked with playmaking once the Spurs get in to their sets. Hammon acknowledged that Anderson’s role with the Spurs will be different during the season, but continued development of his decision making is key during Summer League.“We’re trying to groom him to eventually get to those bigger roles with the Spurs and it’s all part of the process for him and for us,” Hammon said."

That means that while he will understandably have a diminished role this season, the plan for him is long term. It actually confirms other reports we have read that the Spurs really, really like him. That is why they have given him the ball, told him to be aggressive and make stuff happen out there. He could flop in epic fashion and he did to start SL, being very deferential and passive. It turned out that he was more talented than any of the other guys out there and they needed him to be aggressive. The results speak for themselves. He's done better when asked to play that role. That is fine because long term, spotting up is not what the Spurs would like for him to do for the team. I think they hope over time Kyle can actually be more like we have seen in summer league, aggressive for himself and other guys. He is far from a finished product at 21 yrs old and the Spurs have the luxury of bringing him along slowly.

By the way how do I bookmark this thread, I would indeed like to bring it back up when KA is killing it out there. lol

Mr. Body
07-14-2015, 11:41 PM
I'd be more surprised if he flops out than if he turns out to be a great bench guy. I don't think he's too far from the latter, but needs to tighten his handles, work out his defense better, and fix his shot. He seems to me to be fixing the shot, that's why he's front-rimming a lot. But if freakin' Kawhi Leonard could turn into a reliable outside shooter, I don't doubt Kyle Anderson can, too. Doesn't mean he will, but he's a far cry from a Rondo or other perimeter player who is completely hopeless from range. He's not bad. He just needs to work on what Chip tells him to work on. With luck he can be semi-deadly from range. He'll be open a lot.

Nathan89
07-15-2015, 12:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJPUD6EkGxo

Closest thing to Manu on the summer league team is this closer.

spursistan
07-15-2015, 12:07 AM
:lol he is nowhere near the Manu package, probably nobody will ever be what Ginobili meant to the Spurs..At the highest of his highest ceiling, KA might scratch Diaw's..

SpursBig3s
07-15-2015, 12:25 AM
i4l

Nathan89
07-15-2015, 12:53 AM
:lol he is nowhere near the Manu package, probably nobody will ever be what Ginobili meant to the Spurs..At the highest of his highest ceiling, KA might scratch Diaw's..

...bobcat years.

Johnny RIngo
07-15-2015, 01:15 AM
Manu replacement lol. Kyle won't even be good enough to be a poor man's Diaw.

cutewizard
07-15-2015, 01:26 AM
hmmmmm

Raven
07-15-2015, 02:42 AM
not close at all

Kawhitstorm
07-15-2015, 03:53 AM
What Kyle lacks isn't necessarily speed but explosion. He has long strides to make up for his lack of speed but once he gets to the rim he has no explosion whatsoever thus he gets blocked or has his shot altered since he can't use his length against shot blockers. The only current rotation perimeter player that has a similar severe lack of explosiveness is Jared Dudley but he can surprisingly move his feet laterally to be a plus defender. Kyle basically has to become a knock down mid-range shooter to become a rotation player since he won't be living at the FT line in the NBA.

San Antonio Slayer
07-15-2015, 04:31 AM
the closest to Manu is Tyreke Evans with a really really upgraded jumpshot and 3-pointer

Darkwaters
07-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Maybe that's what he's doing. I don't remember him going to the line as much and he isn't passing as much. That could be Pop telling him to play as a bigger person instead of being a point guard. He still needs a reliable 3, he's not that big

I'm sure thats what hes doing. So we just have to trust the process I think and know that the coaching staff will get him there. But it's foolish to think hes there already.

Darkwaters
07-15-2015, 07:36 AM
I'd be more surprised if he flops out than if he turns out to be a great bench guy. I don't think he's too far from the latter, but needs to tighten his handles, work out his defense better, and fix his shot. He seems to me to be fixing the shot, that's why he's front-rimming a lot. But if freakin' Kawhi Leonard could turn into a reliable outside shooter, I don't doubt Kyle Anderson can, too. Doesn't mean he will, but he's a far cry from a Rondo or other perimeter player who is completely hopeless from range. He's not bad. He just needs to work on what Chip tells him to work on. With luck he can be semi-deadly from range. He'll be open a lot.

I agree with that. If he can improve the consistency of those 3 things I think his short and long term value spikes upwards pretty tremendously. My concerns with him have repeatedly revolved around his total inability to shoot last season, his poor defense and his often sloppy handle (that has led to many sloppy turnovers in SL). Especially if the improved shooting includes a semi-reliable 3 point shot, I think he instantly becomes a viable rotation guy. The problem is that I don't think that consistency exists just yet.

100%duncan
07-15-2015, 07:49 AM
...bobcat years.

hater
07-15-2015, 07:53 AM
Ferrari Belinelli was for a while. He surpassed all expectations..well sorely miss him this season.

But at this point a chair could supplant 38 year old argentine IMO

Mr. Body
07-15-2015, 08:02 AM
I agree with that. If he can improve the consistency of those 3 things I think his short and long term value spikes upwards pretty tremendously. My concerns with him have repeatedly revolved around his total inability to shoot last season, his poor defense and his often sloppy handle (that has led to many sloppy turnovers in SL). Especially if the improved shooting includes a semi-reliable 3 point shot, I think he instantly becomes a viable rotation guy. The problem is that I don't think that consistency exists just yet.

He'll always be a defensive liability, but with his length this may be alleviated. He just gets killed on picks, but seems to be doing better. The handles should improve. I'm optimistic about his shot. He was front-rimming a lot in Summer League, suggesting he's on target but not quite there. He does have a different form than previously. That's Chip's work, I think.

Cklbmk
07-15-2015, 08:13 AM
He'll always be a defensive liability, but with his length this may be alleviated. He just gets killed on picks, but seems to be doing better. The handles should improve. I'm optimistic about his shot. He was front-rimming a lot in Summer League, suggesting he's on target but not quite there. He does have a different form than previously. That's Chip's work, I think.

If he'll always be a defensive liability.. why has he not been his entire time in the league? People keep saying this but he consistently posts well above average defensive numbers. He has been an above average defender in college, the dleague, and the nba. This is a case of people not understanding how he does it and simply think he couldnt possibly do it. Despite the fact he has continually.

Food for thought. His numbers last season while in the NBA would rank him as the 10th best defender in the NBA right ahead of Danny Green. Now I know you guys are gonna cry fluke etc but even if its 20% higher than he sustains he's still a well above average defender.

Hell even if he is 40% less effective on defense he'd STILL be above average

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Anderson has a very very very very very similar game to Harden. I believe he leads the SL in FTA. He is awesome at drawing fouls from whomever is guarding him. Say what you want about KA speed, but he has wicked crossover that allows him to get his man off balance, then he pump fakes and makes him jump into him. Really, go watch Harden and KA highlights and you will see what I mean.

Pretty much their defense are similar as well, but at least KA tries to stay with his man and his 7'4" wingspan allows him to shoot over almost anyone who guards him and also disrupts their dribble which is why he avg over 2 stl pg so far is SL.

I think KA will be a great bench player for the Spurs. He will definitely be playing point forward for the Spurs off the bench once Diaw and Manu hang it up.

Diego20
07-15-2015, 08:51 AM
You are still wrong.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 09:03 AM

That's exactly who I compared KA to on his initial thread when I first saw him play last year. Pierce is just slightly more athletic than KA, but he also doesn't have a 7'3" wingspan to work with.

What make Pierce a HOF is he a fierce competitor and a HIGH BB IQ (similar to another Celtic all-time great). People bitch about Green not being a super athletic SG when he first started. But I said he HAD A HIGH BB IQ and what developed to a very solid player.

Spurs value HIGH BB IQ over athleticism. KA is perfect for the Spurs. And he will only get better. His release on his jumper has vastly improved over last year. Still needs more work but its coming along. Took Kawhi, Parker, etc. like 3 years to finally perfect their jumpers after working with Chip.

Spurs look like they got a player in Simmons as well. His BB IQ is just at Spurs par level, but his athleticism is way above Spurs normal Standards. He willl be another solid contributor the Spurs will develop.

Johnny RIngo
07-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Anderson has a very very very very very similar game to Harden. I believe he leads the SL in FTA. He is awesome at drawing fouls from whomever is guarding him. Say what you want about KA speed, but he has wicked crossover that allows him to get his man off balance, then he pump fakes and makes him jump into him. Really, go watch Harden and KA highlights and you will see what I mean.

Harden's deceptively athletic(higher vert than Kawhi for instance) while Kyle's at the bottom tier in that regard. Not a good comparison.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 09:11 AM
You are still wrong.

Ok, look at these videos and tell me I am wrong. One thing those two have is the sick crossover, that stutter step dribble and the ability to stop on a dime and pump fake. And the video below is basically how KA has been playing all SL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmZW9hG5098

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXY1_1NEemQ

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Harden's deceptively athletic(higher vert than Kawhi for instance) while Kyle's at the bottom tier in that regard. Not a good comparison.

I agree. But their game style is very very very similar. I am not talking about their Athleticism. KA is like a notch lower than Paul Pierce in that regards. But its the BB IQ they display on offense that is similar.

Bird is IMO still the best SF of all time and he probably isn't even in the top 100 in terms of athleticism of players that played SF in NBA history. Wonder why????? As I have mentioned before, I believe Duncan and Bird have the two highest BB IQ ever to play in the NBA which is why they are so great despite not being extremely athletic.

Spursmania
07-15-2015, 09:22 AM

I have to agree. I wish we had a real Manu replacement, but those type of players are rare. KA is no Manu, unfortunately.

kaji157
07-15-2015, 09:54 AM
The only player that resembles young Ginobili is James Harden.

There... i said it.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 10:08 AM

There... i said it.

Manu was more athletic, quicker, and a fiercer competitor. And KA is no Manu and never will be. He is more like Pierce prototype at SF.

Harden did said in an interview when he first entered the league, he try to model his game after Manu. Probably their step back jumper is similar and their passing. But Manu's reckless abandon to attack the basket is bar none. Duncan gave him his nickname for a reason.

We will probably never see another Manu type of player is a Spurs jersey again.

Chinook
07-15-2015, 10:12 AM
I don't see him as a PG/SG in any capacity in this league,

Maybe that's why you have a hard time seeing my side of things. I don't think Anderson is best suited to be a guard. I do think depending on how the bench shakes out, he'll see minutes there. And in the future, I could see him playing next to a bigger defensive wing, which makes him a two-guard by default. But I don't see the Manu role belonging to guards exclusively. I see that role as being the bench instigator and facilitator. I can totally see Anderson filling that role.

(shakes head again)

I don't mean that he's the smartest guy on the Spurs. Hell, he's probably in the bottom five. But he seems clearly ahead of his cohort. Why do you think he dominated the d-league and now is making noise in the summer-league? It's not his athleticism, I can tell you that. He's just smarter than the folks trying to guard him. And while some of the things he does won't work as well in the pros (that pump-fake has a ways to go to be deadly). But the way he just kinda envelops his defender like an amoeba and finds daylight on the other side will translate very well.

hater
07-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Manu was more athletic, quicker, and a fiercer competitor. And KA is no Manu and never will be. He is more like Pierce prototype at SF.

Harden did said in an interview when he first entered the league, he try to model his game after Manu. Probably their step back jumper is similar and their passing. But Manu's reckless abandon to attack the basket is bar none. Duncan gave him his nickname for a reason.

:lmao Manu was never more athletic or quicker than Hardon.

But yes he was a much better playmaker, miles ahead defensively and a million times more fierce competitor.

LiSpurs516
07-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Ok, look at these videos and tell me I am wrong. One thing those two have is the sick crossover, that stutter step dribble and the ability to stop on a dime and pump fake. And the video below is basically how KA has been playing all SL.

I can see the likeness KA has with harden offensively. Granted he's playing against SL defenders but even with the slow pace he moves at the defenders seem always caught unbalanced which leads to KA's high FT attempts. He wont be anywhere near Harden imo due to lack of athleticism, but I don't see why KA can't become a solid bench player.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 10:40 AM
:lmao Manu was never more athletic or quicker than Hardon.

But yes he was a much better playmaker, miles ahead defensively and a million times more fierce competitor.

Really, how old are you. Look at this vid. This is Manu in his prime. Harden doesn't even come close to this athleticism. Yes, Since manu fractured his ankle in the '08 Olympics, he has been the same. But before then, Manu was lights out athletic. Quit judging the guy on recent years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBtN6krkKPE

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 10:45 AM
I can see the likeness KA has with harden offensively. Granted he's playing against SL defenders but even with the slow pace he moves at the defenders seem always caught unbalanced which leads to KA's high FT attempts. He wont be anywhere near Harden imo due to lack of athleticism, but I don't see why KA can't become a solid bench player.

I think KA can actually can be a 14 ppg 6 rpg and 5 apg guy off the bench. WHY???? because on his High BB IQ and his 7'3" WINGSPAN. That reach allows him to get rebounds, pass around players in front of him, and shoot over players more athletic than him.

I think he can be as good as Diaw was in this prime (Diaw put up similar numbers as above). But KA is not going to be a 25+ ppg guy, because he doesn't have the athleticism to take control of games. But he does have the IQ to manage one.

LiSpurs516
07-15-2015, 11:07 AM
In hindsight who do we pick instead of KA? Mcdaniels, Clarkson, Tavares? I don't think KA at 30 is a bad pick.

Diego20
07-15-2015, 11:14 AM

I said the OP is wrong..

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 11:18 AM
I said the OP is wrong..

My bad. Look at the Manu video I posted. KA WILL NEVER reach that level.

But the one thing KA has going for him is his IQ. Duncan has the highest on the team. I rate Manu and Diaw the next highest and they are very similar. I might get some slack, but yes, I think KA is right up there with Diaw and Manu when it comes to BB IQ. That is the only thing he has comparable to Manu, which equates to the brilliant passing he is displaying.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Guys like Manu and Anderson are rare. They can see the play before the play happens and are a pass ahead of everyone else. Some of the plays that Spurs use to run with Manu are some of the plays that Anderson can handle. Especially the one where one a guard brings up ball and Manu steps out just beyond the wing to receive pass and then precisely return pass to cutting player. One of the reasons he may have had some struggles in the SL as some of the new players didn't quite get to the right spot as they should have and thus couldn't properly make the right pass/play. He seemed to get a little frustrated with this.
While he may not have the athleticism to keep up with the fast athletic players he has shown the ability to pick the pocket of players on the open court. Very similar to Kawhi in this regard. His length will allow to challenge jump shots and even block shots in the paint. And despite his lack of athleticism and his slight of frame he is an excellent rebounder.

Mikeanaro
07-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Really, how old are you. Look at this vid. This is Manu in his prime. Harden doesn't even come close to this athleticism. Yes, Since manu fractured his ankle in the '08 Olympics, he has been the same. But before then, Manu was lights out athletic. Quit judging the guy on recent years.

Hater is trolling you, Harden is a fat unathletic one dimesional player, of course Manu was fastest and even after the ankle fracture had great nights were he looked like prime Manu.
I dont see Harden dunking on 4 Lakers.

Axegrinder
07-15-2015, 12:00 PM
My bad. Look at the Manu video I posted. KA WILL NEVER reach that level.

But the one thing KA has going for him is his IQ. Duncan has the highest on the team. I rate Manu and Diaw the next highest and they are very similar. I might get some slack, but yes, I think KA is right up there with Diaw and Manu when it comes to BB IQ. That is the only thing he has comparable to Manu, which equates to the brilliant passing he is displaying.What about Bonner? I read that he has the or one of the highest ACTUAL IQs in the entire league..(and ya I realize you are talking bbiq, but I think they are very closely tied together)

tmtcsc
07-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Why would you ever think that? Anderson will be lucky if his contract ever gets renewed and you think he's Manu' replacement?

hater
07-15-2015, 12:06 PM

Nothing harden can't do. Hardin is a lot faster too.

And that's coming from a hard on hater btw

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 12:10 PM
What about Bonner? I read that he has the or one of the highest ACTUAL IQs in the entire league..(and ya I realize you are talking bbiq, but I think they are very closely tied together)

Well in the military, they actually judge you based off two IQ's, Intelligent and Emotional. Intelligence is of course how smart you are. Emotional is how well you handle stress and adversity and if you can still function at a high level despite it. Actually I am one of those people that actually function better under stress. I love stress to be honest.

Bonner has a low Emotional IQ, which is why he chokes in the playoffs. No doubt he is an extremely smart guy, but it is evident that his emotional IQ is low compare to his intelligence based on his performances when the stakes are higher.

To have a high BB IQ imo is having both a very high intelligence/high to above average emotional IQ and very high emotional IQ/high to above avg intellgent IQ.

Bonner has an extremely high intelligent IQ, but has a low emotional IQ, which puts him at an avg BB IQ. Duncan is one of those rare players that have an Extremely High Intelligent IQ and an Extremely high Emotional IQ. Manu, Diaw, and KA possess that but not on Duncan's level.

Axegrinder
07-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Well in the military, they actually judge you based off two IQ's, Intelligent and Emotional. Intelligence is of course how smart you are. Emotional is how well you handle stress and adversity and if you can still function at a high level despite it. Actually I am one of those people that actually function better under stress. I love stress to be honest.

Bonner has a low Emotional IQ, which is why he chokes in the playoffs. No doubt he is an extremely smart guy, but it is evident that his emotional IQ is low compare to his intelligence based on his performances when the stakes are higher.

To have a high BB IQ imo is having both a very high intelligence/high to above average emotional IQ and very high emotional IQ/high to above avg intellgent IQ.

Bonner has an extremely high intelligent IQ, but has a low emotional IQ, which puts him at an avg BB IQ. Duncan is one of those rare players that have an Extremely High Intelligent IQ and an Extremely high Emotional IQ. Manu, Diaw, and KA possess that but not on Duncan's level.

Interesting take, but I think you are taking some big leaps. I have no doubt that his bbiq is quite high. Likely the best future coach candidate on the roster

tholdren
07-15-2015, 12:26 PM
kyle anderson is lottery talent - 99% of ST when he was drafted....

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Interesting take, but I think you are taking some big leaps. I have no doubt that his bbiq is quite high. Likely the best future coach candidate on the roster

Oh yes, I think Bonner will make a great asst. coaching candidate, but I see him more as a FO guy (probably replacing RC in the future) as he isn't fiery enough to be a HC in league, just my opinion.

And yes, he is more than intelligent to play in the Spurs system. That is why he thrives during the regular season when team's don't play playoff bb. But once teams turn up the defensive intensity, Bonner starts looking lost out there as he cracks underneath the pressure. I have watch 100's if not over 1000 Spurs game, so I am not making this observation on a whim.

High BB IQ is just not knowledge of the game, it's how you play the game as well.

tholdren
07-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Oh yes, I think Bonner will make a great asst. coaching candidate, but I see him more as a FO guy (probably replacing RC in the future) as he isn't fiery enough to be a HC in league, just my opinion.

And yes, he is more than intelligent to play in the Spurs system. That is why he thrives during the regular season when team's don't play playoff bb. But once teams turn up the defensive intensity, Bonner starts looking lost out there as he cracks underneath the pressure. I have watch 100's if not over 1000 Spurs game, so I am not making this observation on a whim.

High BB IQ is just not knowledge of the game, it's how you play the game as well.

Bonner doesn't thrive. He is a one dimensional player who gets open looks and does the only thing he can do semi-effectively = hit a wide open three. About a billion other players could come in and knock down a wide open NBA three 35-40% if asked not to do anything other than get to an open spot and shoot the ball. He doesn't dribble, he doesnt drive, he doesn't assist, he gets to a spot in the regular season and he does what any decent basketball player would do - knocks it down... unless it is a pressure shot. Then you should give it to any high school kid and let them take the shot. Character guy that should have never made the nba.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Bonner doesn't thrive. He is a one dimensional player who gets open looks and does the only thing he can do semi-effectively = hit a wide open three. About a billion other players could come in and knock down a wide open NBA three 35-40% if asked not to do anything other than get to an open spot and shoot the ball. He doesn't dribble, he doesnt drive, he doesn't assist, he gets to a spot in the regular season and he does what any decent basketball player would do - knocks it down... unless it is a pressure shot. Then you should give it to any high school kid and let them take the shot. Character guy that should have never made the nba.

Leading the NBA in 3 pt shooting 3 times I believe when with the Spurs does equate to Thriving in a SYSTEM. Really, what would you call that. His regular season career FG% is at 50% with the Spurs, nearly 42% on 3's. In the playoff, it drop ts to 40% 2p and 35% 3p (with few 3pt attempt per game).

Matt Bonner is an NBA caliber player. He just not a NBA playoff caliber player.

Ginobilly
07-15-2015, 12:56 PM

Bonner's body/athleticism betrays him in the PO's. While every top-tier athlete is running on a 7 in their playing speed during the regular season, Bonner is running at 9/10. When the PO's arrive, everybody turns it up, while Bonner looks like a little un-athletic kid playing against men.

ManuGinobiliArg
07-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Titles

Serie A: 2001
Italian Cup: 2001, 2002
Euroleague: 2001
NBA championships: 2003, 2005, 2007, 2014
NBA runner-up: 2013

National selection
Gold Medal: 2001 FIBA ​​Americas Championship Neuquen.
World runner: US 2002.
Olympic gold medal Athens 2004.
Gold Medal: 2008 FIBA ​​Diamond Ball.
Olympic bronze medal Beijing 2008.
Gold Medal: FIBA ​​Americas Championship 2011 Mar de Plata.

Awards
Disclosure of LNB: 1995-1996
Most Improved Player of the LNB: 1997-1998
All-Star of the Italian league: 1999, 2000, 2001
Most Improved Player of the Italian league: 2000, 2001, 2002
Finals MVP of the Euroleague: 2001
MVP of the Italian Cup: 2002
All-Star NBA: 2005, 2011
Better quintet World: 2002, 2006
Better quintet of the Olympic Games: 2004
MVP of the Olympic Games: 2004
Olimpia de Oro: 2003, 2004 (shared with Carlos Tevez)
50 largest contributors to the Euroleague: 2008
NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award: 2008
Third All-NBA Team: 2008 and 2011
Bright Konex the best athlete of the decade in Argentina: 2010
Kids Choice Awards Argentina 2011 "Best Sportsman of the Year" (Nominated)
Kids Choice Awards Argentina 2012 "Best Sportsman of the Year" (Nominated)

Ginobilly
07-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Nothing harden can't do. Hardin is a lot faster too.

And that's coming from a hard on hater btw

Probably by a hair(comparing both primes) but not by much, but prime Manu had more hops. Nowadays, Harden is faster as Manu is 80 years old. The only thing Harden is better than Manu is that he is stronger and a better mid range shooter, but Manu is a better passer, defender, and better teammate too.

hater
07-15-2015, 01:18 PM
Probably by a hair(comparing both primes) but not by much, but prime Manu had more hops. Nowadays, Harden is faster as Manu is 80 years old. The only thing Harden is better than Manu is that he is stronger and a better mid range shooter, but Manu is a better passer, defender, and better teammate too.

I believe hard on is top 10 fastest on fast break. Manu never competed in that regard. He was never knows for his speed but for his smarts.

I agree prime Manu was superior in most other aspects besides shooting. But old Manu these days is more comparable to Jeremy lin

jsandiego
07-15-2015, 01:33 PM

There... i said it.
I agree. And if Manu did what Harden did and left the Spurs in his prime, he too would've been a threat for scoring championships and MVPs.

Man that video was awesome! With Tim & Manu in particular, they are so far past their primes that you almost forget how fast and athletic they were when they were young.

Is there another Shooting Guard outside of Kobe and Wade that you would take over the last 15 years? Manu was, and is, amazing.

in2deep
07-15-2015, 01:49 PM
I agree. And if Manu did what Harden did and left the Spurs in his prime, he too would've been a threat for scoring championships and MVPs.

Not true. Manu never had the durability that is required. He was always injured at some point in the season. (sometimes it hurt us because he was injured in the playoffs)

he would have never been a threat to scoring champions or MVP because of that reason.

ElNono
07-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Maybe that's why you have a hard time seeing my side of things. I don't think Anderson is best suited to be a guard. I do think depending on how the bench shakes out, he'll see minutes there. And in the future, I could see him playing next to a bigger defensive wing, which makes him a two-guard by default. But I don't see the Manu role belonging to guards exclusively. I see that role as being the bench instigator and facilitator. I can totally see Anderson filling that role.

The current version of Kyle can't instigate or facilitate anything at the NBA level, IMO. He's ball dominant, has questionable handles, not a noteworthy passer or playmaker, he has a high but extremely slow release, and he's not an elite shooter. He's not very crafty and I see his pump fake finishes around the rim as an actual detriment, as they're the typical finishes that get blocked in the league. He's too big and slow to stay in front of any guards on the other end. His pluses would be that he's not afraid of contact on the offensive end and that seemingly has good timing for steals and rebounding.

It's because of the pluses that he slots as a SF. But, IMO, the negatives are too glaring at this stage for him to fill out any role as a guard other than "spot up shooter" (and even that is debatable).

Don't get me wrong, I want Kyle to do well, but I was hoping he was much farther along in his development in year #2. Either a much better shooter, or a better one on one defender, or better off-the-ball player, etc. The kind of niches that allow a player with well known limitations to stick in this league. I just hasn't seen that yet.

I don't mean that he's the smartest guy on the Spurs. Hell, he's probably in the bottom five. But he seems clearly ahead of his cohort. Why do you think he dominated the d-league and now is making noise in the summer-league? It's not his athleticism, I can tell you that. He's just smarter than the folks trying to guard him. And while some of the things he does won't work as well in the pros (that pump-fake has a ways to go to be deadly). But the way he just kinda envelops his defender like an amoeba and finds daylight on the other side will translate very well.

I don't really put a lot of stock in dleague... plenty of guys that average 20 ppg but once they're called up, it doesn't translate. IIRC, the Spurs had some of those too. In the summer league, you can generally spot fairly quickly who's ready for the NBA. When Kawhi had his first and only summer league, he was extremely dominant, to the point that the Spurs ended up pulling him for the last few games. Neal was another guys that shoot lights out, and you knew what his niche would be as an NBA player. With Kyle it's more like he has a good game here or there, but rarely you could really say he was the best player on the floor that game. I get the feeling that he should really be standing out against this kind of talent, but he really isn't.

On the other hand, I hope the Spurs do bring him into the roster this year, just so they can take a good look at him and make some long term decisions about him.

skulls138
07-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Harden ain't squat compared to Ginobili. Its so easy to see how people are more influenced by the current than the past. They forget how he was on D. When he was leading the league in steals he made it seem like there were six people on the court. The offense couldn't relax because he would go for steals when normally everyone else would be trotting down the court or thinking about where they were supposed to be. Manu was everywhere and would cause immense stress on the O. He was a crazy man on the court.

Mikeanaro
07-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Harden ain't squat compared to Ginobili. Its so easy to see how people are more influenced by the current than the past. They forget how he was on D. When he was leading the league in steals he made it seem like there were six people on the court. The offense couldn't relax because he would go for steals when normally everyone else would be trotting down the court or thinking about where they were supposed to be. Manu was everywhere and would cause immense stress on the O. He was a crazy man on the court.

Shhh dont say that, trolls will say Harden never had Duncan to cover his back, its virtually impossible to win without Tim Duncan, only MJ did it.

hater
07-15-2015, 03:16 PM
:wow Harden and prime Duncan

Scary thought

Cklbmk
07-15-2015, 05:32 PM

Scary thought

we had better.

Mikeanaro
07-15-2015, 05:40 PM

Scary thought
Harden, prime TD, Steven Adams, Matt Barnes and Dellavedova.
Lebron coming from the bench, Manu is the towel boy and Harden pats on his head.

dabom
07-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Patty too

https://33.media.tumblr.com/6e81a39b6eb530177111a3312cc15bef/tumblr_mnklz1PS0i1rdqggno1_400.gif

kaji157
07-15-2015, 05:58 PM

Scary thought

Too bad Harden never evolved a complete pick and roll game as Ginobili did, heŽll never be able to assist as Manu did with Tim because he is more of a finisher than Ginobili.

steeledl
07-15-2015, 06:00 PM
we had better.

joke or not?

spurraider21
07-15-2015, 06:14 PM
splitter couldn't even post-up fisher

skulls138
07-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Shhh dont say that, trolls will say Harden never had Duncan to cover his back, its virtually impossible to win without Tim Duncan, only MJ did it.
You need many sources of awesomeness to get 5 titles, 4 with Manu and Parker.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Lots of discussion of Kyle at SL, but why is his actual play in the NBA last season being ignored? Putting aside garbage time, when he got out there he looked like a competent rookie: made mistakes, of course, but rebounded well, made some nifty passes and the odd sweet move. As he continues to develop over the next two seasons I'm confident hell develop into a very good bench playmaker.

He definitely needs to improve his defense and shooting, but he's only 20 with plenty of room for growth in his game. Who thought Danny Green would become what he had after only one season with the Spurs?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Patty too

https://33.media.tumblr.com/6e81a39b6eb530177111a3312cc15bef/tumblr_mnklz1PS0i1rdqggno1_400.gif

Love this clip. I still laugh at Patty. WTF was he doing? Just some strange dap???

DeRozan m8
07-15-2015, 06:44 PM
HAHAHAHAH how will he ever be Ginobli?
He's basically a sloth in a Spurs jersey.

OP, get off the meth, champ

Capster
07-15-2015, 11:04 PM
No.

tmtcsc
07-15-2015, 11:38 PM
When Kawhi had his first and only summer league, he was extremely dominant, to the point that the Spurs ended up pulling him for the last few games.

Kawhi played in 2 Summer leagues didn't he? I remember him dominating the last time he played.

*** Doh, never mind. Forgot about the lockout.

Axegrinder
07-16-2015, 12:43 AM

High BB IQ is just not knowledge of the game, it's how you play the game as well.Have no doubt Bonner could shine in either position. And I'll just leave this here
Dan McCarney: Bonner and Ginobili locker next to each other. You’d be harder pressed to find a higher combined IQ in the NBA than those two (http://twitter.com/danmccarneySAEN).
– via Twitter danmccarneySAEN (http://twitter.com/danmccarneySAEN)

eDizzle20
07-16-2015, 02:16 AM
Pretty clear at this point PATFO has a lot more faith in KA than Spurs fans. With 14 roster spots now guaranteed contracts I don't see another signing until the completion of training camp, if at all.

Kawhitstorm
07-16-2015, 04:01 AM
Pretty clear at this point PATFO has a lot more faith in KA than Spurs fans. With 14 roster spots now guaranteed contracts I don't see another signing until the completion of training camp, if at all.

They will most likely pick up a shooter somewhere down the line but they are in no rush for tax purposes. Spot-up shooters are basically "plug-and-play" so there won't be a steep learning curve for mid-season acquisitions.

G-Dawgg
07-16-2015, 05:07 AM
Kyle Anderson is a very good player. He is not starter quality, but he is very good. He will be a decent contributer on the Spurs for a long time. He just needs to work on his jumper and knowing the system. Power forwards in the NBA will have a hard time guarding him on the perimeter, he will be a tough matchup if used correctly. He can post up small forwards and take power forwards off the dribble. A player that can facilitate an offense from the 4 position is very rare. Very useful player.

FkLA
07-16-2015, 07:08 AM
Haven't read the rest of the thread but Manu had alot more than courtvision, which I'm assuming is why you're making this comparison. Noone could stay in front of prime Manu bc of his long strides and overall craftiness. KA OTOH, even I could probably stay in front of him tbh.

Russ
07-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Kyle vs. Kobe?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251005&p=8120911#post8120911