PDA

View Full Version : Green: "if the money is close, I'm coming back."

Spurs Brazil
07-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN
Green on FA negotiations: Pop admitted Spurs couldn't match what other teams would offer. Told Pop "if the money is close, I'm coming back."

Danny Green says LaMarcus Aldridge called to pick his brain during FA process. Possibility of playing w/ LM A weighed in Green's decision.

Jeff McDonald_SAEN
What was Pop's reaction when Danny Green told him he was returning to the Spurs, per DG? "I’m surprised you still want to play for me."

Jeff McDonald_SAEN ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN
Danny Green, on Pop's FA pitch to him: “He said, 'I promise I’ll be nicer this time.' I probably don’t believe him."

Dunc n Dave
07-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Green on FA negotiations: Pop admitted Spurs couldn't match what other teams would offer. Told Pop "if the money is close, I'm coming back."

Danny Green says LaMarcus Aldridge called to pick his brain during FA process. Possibility of playing w/ LM A weighed in Green's decision.

Jeff McDonald_SAEN
What was Pop's reaction when Danny Green told him he was returning to the Spurs, per DG? "I’m surprised you still want to play for me."

Danny Green, on Pop's FA pitch to him: “He said, 'I promise I’ll be nicer this time.' I probably don’t believe him."

:rollin

Robz4000
07-14-2015, 05:11 PM
God damn I love LDN

Darius McCrary
07-14-2015, 05:14 PM
LDN FTW

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2015, 05:16 PM
:lol..

benefactor
07-14-2015, 05:16 PM
:lol...at least Green takes being Pop's whipping boy in stride

Mnky
07-14-2015, 05:18 PM
This guy. :toast

spursistan
07-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Spurs' off-season MVP, IMO..He really let it all happen with that deal..

Richie
07-14-2015, 05:21 PM
Spurs' off-season MVP, IMO..He really let it all happen with that deal..

Disagree, it's Timmy and it's not close. Green had the cap hold so his deal only really mattered for Holt and how much the FO was willing to spend. Timmy's sacrifice was imperative for bringing in Aldridge, if he wanted $10m (still a bargain!) it wasn't happening.

Mnky
07-14-2015, 05:21 PM
IMO, this hints to LMA ability to sell players on coming to San Antonio in the future. Green said LMA played a part in him wanting to come back. I'm sure him and LMA had a pretty good convo, consider green was hinting at an Aldridge signing right after he did, then erases the tweet.
David west definitely joins because of LMA pick up.

Good sign of things to come tbh.

Edit: Tim also takes that cut to play with LMA.

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Disagree, it's Timmy and it's not close. Green had the cap hold so his deal only really mattered for Holt and how much the FO was willing to spend. Timmy's sacrifice was imperative for bringing in Aldridge, if he wanted $10m (still a bargain!) it wasn't happening.

Ya, this..looks like Green took a substantial paycut, since he was apparently the Pistons' #1 choice(among other teams) along with Carroll, according to reports, but Duncan's paycut is ridiculous..

spursistan
07-14-2015, 05:25 PM
Timmy is taken for granted :lol Spurs would have lost greatly if Green bolted looking at the price range of 3&D guys..Familiarity with system + chemistry with Kawhi and their combo proven success vs Splash Brothers and Warriors; the conference biggest obstacle..

dabom
07-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Love green. Lol

ElNono
07-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Danny :tu

TD 21
07-14-2015, 05:32 PM
As I said all along, I was never worried about the finances. Anyone who's followed the team closely enough and is familiar enough with the personalities involved shouldn't have been.

I knew if it was close, Green would stay (to be fair, it probably wasn't as close as I thought it would be) and that Duncan and Ginobili would make whatever sacrifice within' reason to allow them to keep as much of the core together as possible, while also attaining Aldridge.

8FOR!3
07-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Typically guys like Green go after big money somewhere else (like Stak to a lesser extent,) so Green deserves a lot of credit for taking a small cut to stay a Spur.

spursistan
07-14-2015, 05:38 PM
Green fealty to Pop and the Spurs organization for rescuing career played a major part in this..DG on June 15th, 2014:

Green still can’t believe it, and the Spurs probably can’t, either. They cut him twice, after all. “No, no, no, I can’t believe it,” Green said when I cornered him in the Spurs’ locker room. “Even last year, I never thought I’d be a starter on a championship team. Never.” Green wants to be a Spur for life. “I’m staying here as long as they’ll keep me around,” he said, before bolting to find his family.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/san-antonios-revenge-scenes-from-a-championship-run-for-the-ages/

RayTdropout
07-14-2015, 05:44 PM
:downspin:6

Richie
07-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Amazingly, I think the Spurs are gonna be under the tax when it's all said and done next season. Incredible!

BatManu20
07-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Yessir!

MaNu4Tres
07-14-2015, 05:52 PM
It was surprising how many of the Project Spurs, EN guys and others on Twitter were so pessimistic about Danny returning.

Probably wasted 10 hrs of my life trying to convince them that Danny wasn't going anywhere if SA's offer is close by 1-2 mil per.

spursistan
07-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Looking at how SVG overpaid for Baynes and Reggie Jackson, do you guys think that he wasn't ready to throw $14 M per-year for Danny?

Splits
07-14-2015, 05:58 PM
:lol his Pop quote is priceless, especially considering LDN is his primary whipping boy.

Nathan89
07-14-2015, 05:59 PM
Green is the best. He probably gave up a decent amount to stay on the team and keep us as a contender.

loveforthegame
07-14-2015, 06:00 PM
:tu

still.focused
07-14-2015, 06:00 PM
...Clutch

look_at_g_shred
07-14-2015, 06:06 PM
My nigga

Mugen
07-14-2015, 06:10 PM
Fucking love Danny. Takes a special kind of person to put up with Pop's tirades, take a paycut, and not beat this nigga down for pulling this crap tbh....

http://i.imgur.com/ic0ZMVx.gif

mbass
Yessir!

YEA!!!!

Splits
He gave a nice interview at today's SL game where he said that to him money wasn't the only thing, being happy and comfortable with your situation and winning were major factors in his decision (not verbatim). Solid young man.

BillMc
07-14-2015, 06:16 PM
He gave a nice interview at today's SL game where he said that to him money wasn't the only thing, being happy and comfortable with your situation and winning were major factors in his decision (not verbatim). Solid young man.
+1

Vokun
07-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Danny Green: Ascending http://findicons.com/files/icons/42/basic/64/up.png

baseline bum
07-14-2015, 06:30 PM
Ya, this..looks like Green took a substantial paycut, since he was apparently the Pistons' #1 choice(among other teams) along with Carroll, according to reports, but Duncan's paycut is ridiculous..

:lol How much would Phil Jackson had offered him?

baseline bum
07-14-2015, 06:32 PM
LDN for $45 million when DeMarre Carroll got $60 million and Wes Matthews minus an achilles got $70 million? I mean the money wasn't close at all and he still came back.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Don't forget the lack of state taxes. For that high of salary, state taxes can reach 13.3% in liberal states like California

ceperez
07-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Kudos to Danny Green.

He isn't a superstar and could have taken more money that he deserves elsewhere, but he took less money to come back.

It is a different situation from Duncan and Manu had earned a ton of money previously.

Different also from David West who also earned a ton of money.

So he deserves a lot of support for his sacrifice.

Yeah... an he still knows that he's going to still be Pop's whipping boy!

Embedded
07-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Green is a character guy. Who else could be cut twice, be beaten up like him, and take a cut of millions to stay?

Splits
07-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Don't forget the lack of state taxes. For that high of salary, state taxes can reach 13.3% in liberal states like California

Its not that big of a difference tbh. Only counts for games played in non-tax states and property and sales taxes are much higher in TX. Definitely not the $12m he most likely gave up

slick'81
07-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Noway ldn was homing anywhere.he knew this was the max spurs could give him and given what Duncan took ldn wasn't leaving

UNT Eagles 2016
07-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Its not that big of a difference tbh. Only counts for games played in non-tax states and property and sales taxes are much higher in TX. Definitely not the $12m he most likely gave up
Go by per year though. He likely only gave up 2-3 million per year, and he could make up the rest by investing. Hope Duncan doesn't recommend him his old financial advisor for that though

If your company is the Spurs (HQ in SA) and you're making money with that organization, your employment base is TX. Away games out of state are still legally earned in TX because the home company is in TX.

exstatic
07-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Go by per year though. He likely only gave up 2-3 million per year, and he could make up the rest by investing. Hope Duncan doesn't recommend him his old financial advisor for that though

If your company is the Spurs (HQ in SA) and you're making money with that organization, your employment base is TX. Away games out of state are still legally earned in TX because the home company is in TX.

Not how it works, at all. You get taxed on every game at the local rate. It's been that way for years. It still helps to have 41 home games in TX, but if the schedule breaks wrong, he could pay up to 8 games of Cali taxes.

TXstbobcat
07-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Before free agency started I thought he would take some ridiculous $15 million + per year offer from another team. I'm so glad I was wrong and that he gave the Spurs a discount.

turb0time
07-14-2015, 07:14 PM
LDN :cry #SpurForLife

http://i.imgur.com/fl0etDz.png

When he posted this, my gut was telling me he was gonna try his best to stay with SA.

Mugen
07-14-2015, 07:23 PM
With The Golden God gone, Danny just might be my new favorite player on the team....

https://img.joduska.me/?q=http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/dr-evil-crying1.gif&.png

spurs10
07-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Green and Kawhi are the wing tandem to be reckoned with. Our team is badass!

BillMc
07-14-2015, 07:38 PM

spursistan
07-14-2015, 07:48 PM
Yep..Golden State is here to stay for the next few years, and there's no better foil to Curry/Thompson in the league than that of SA's..

spurraider21
07-14-2015, 07:55 PM
With The Golden God gone, Danny just might be my new favorite player on the team....

https://img.joduska.me/?q=http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/dr-evil-crying1.gif&.png
player fan smh

Russo21
07-14-2015, 08:00 PM
A great sign that LaMarcus played a role in Danny's return. As LMA is liked and respected by his peers it bodes well for future F/A signings. LMA seems like a nice bloke and i'm thrilled DG is back with the good guys.

tim_duncan_fan
07-14-2015, 08:05 PM
He was basically a D-League scrub and yet he called himself out for not beating OKC. That man is a fucking champion. That is just pure intellect, and to come back the next year 20, 40, 50 times better is sheer determination and will to succeed.

Thank you, Danny Green. Regardless of how this series ends, I hope you never play for another team again. You're the quintessential Spur.
This shit only gets truer, man.

Besides Tim, Danny IS the Spurs. I'll never forget that he's the one that brought defensive emphasis back to the Spurs after we had given the fuck up.

capek
07-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Awesome to have him back, love the kid and have so enjoyed watching him progress on the Spurs. Most definitely has become a great part of the Spurs story over the last 4 years.

timtonymanu
07-14-2015, 08:30 PM
:cry But I thought Aldridge was a diva and has ego problems

timtonymanu
07-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Even though the Spurs made bigger moves this offseason, bringing back Danny was my favorite of the bunch. He's too important to let go and it's great both sides agreed to a fair deal.

Danny is easily one of my favorite Spurs and I'm happy we get more years of Wing Stop

timtonymanu
07-14-2015, 08:39 PM

Danny is one of my all time favorites. The only players I have ahead of him are Duncan, Kawhi, and Manu.

Mugen
07-14-2015, 08:45 PM
player fan smh

http://clippers.topbuzz.com/modules/PNphpBB2/upload-pics/clippers/1977_fFsbqlx6ulo3wl35eKI8JFiuo1_400_1.jpg

Danny is one of my all time favorites. The only players I have ahead of him are Duncan, Kawhi, and Manu.

http://media.giphy.com/media/TlRZdbtEtxBAI/giphy.gif

SpursBig3s
07-14-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm probably just echoing the crowd here, but I have MAD RESPECT for Danny. He easily could have taken his money and I wouldn't have had an issue with it at all. I've got a completely new sense of respect and support for DG, and I'm gonna be rooting like hell for him this year to ball out. Shooters are by nature streaky, but you can always count on DG to compete and play hard on defense, which is all you can ask. It also helps he's a pretty damn good defender.

This is was a true Spur sacrifice, and I really hope he is a Spur for life. Reading these articles about how hard he's worked to this point make me root for him more

look_at_g_shred
07-14-2015, 08:57 PM
But the money wasn't close tho..

Taking it to the Hole
07-14-2015, 09:11 PM
The cherry on top of this free agency period is unloading Splitter's waste of a contract and saying good riddance. Splitter could have been so much more but he never really managed to grow a pair in cruch times. Happy to have DG and even Manu back because without them we would be pretty thin in the backcourt.

loveforthegame
07-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Was this interview posted yet?

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/07/14/were-not-expecting-to-come-out-and-be-the-greatest-team-ever-a-qa-with-danny-green/

Spur|n|Austin
07-14-2015, 09:15 PM
But the money wasn't close tho..

Do we know what Detroit offered him?

look_at_g_shred
07-14-2015, 09:31 PM
When he verbally agreed, there were multiple tweets on Twitter saying he left at least 30 mill on the table.

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2015, 09:34 PM

Nothing has been reported as fact, yet, IIRC, but several Detroit newspapers said Green was their #1 or #2 choice(along with Demarre Carroll) and that Van Gundy had contacted him at 12:01..based on the money the Pistons have been throwing around the past 2 years + the cap space they had, I'm assuming it was at least 3 mil per year more IMO..

Carroll signed with the Raptors before he met with the Pistons IIRC, but I don't know if that was a financial reason(not sure if the Pistons were willing to give him a monster deal like the Raps did)..

Spur|n|Austin
07-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Nothing has been reported as fact, yet, IIRC, but several Detroit newspapers said Green was their #1 choice and that Van Gundy had contacted him at 12:01..based on the money the Pistons have been throwing around the past 2 years + the cap space they had, I'm assuming it was at least 3 mil per year more IMO..

No state income tax, deep knowledge of the current system, friends, not having to live in Detoilet, and a chance to ring again? I'd say it was worth it.

Chinook
07-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Part of me feels like Green didn't know how much money he was giving up. He was the first of the big-money wings to sign. Aminu got $30M/4, but the Spurs moved so fast, that Green apparently didn't even get to meet with other teams. Detroit seemed to be the most serious, and SVG said that Carroll's deal was well out of their price range. So they probably didn't really offer Green as much as other teams would have. I think the Spurs got closer to what Detroit offered rather than what Sacramento would have.

I mean, I could sleep well at night knowing I made $45 Million rather than $70 Million. And I hope Green has no regrets about deciding so quickly. But the Spurs deserve major props in locking Danny up so early. That's almost as impressive as them getting LMA, all things considered. Perhaps the Splitter trade was worth even more than most of us thought.

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2015, 09:40 PM
It's not surprising at all that he stayed IMO..look at how sad he was after the Clippers series', he probably took it harder than anybody, especially knowing that was probably his worst playoff series in a few years, too, doubt he wanted to end his Spurs' run like that..

I don't think Green has any delusion of wanting to be a star, as well(like many that took more money for a bigger role on a worse team), seems like he's happy with his role on a perennial contender..I expect he will finally break the 30 MPG barrier, this year, too, with Manu's age and Belinelli's departure..

There's a strong racial component in the NBA that makes most fans believe that every nigga is looking for a payday, and some of that is true, considering most Black athletes grew up in a poor environment(although that's not nearly as true with today's generation of players), but like we saw with David West's decision, some guys are happy with competition at the highest level, and a few million doesn't make a difference to them in the long run..

AFBlue
07-14-2015, 09:42 PM
Nothing has been reported as fact, yet, IIRC, but several Detroit newspapers said Green was their #1 or #2 choice(along with Demarre Carroll) and that Van Gundy had contacted him at 12:01..based on the money the Pistons have been throwing around the past 2 years + the cap space they had, I'm assuming it was at least 3 mil per year more IMO..

Carroll signed with the Raptors before he met with the Pistons IIRC, but I don't know if that was a financial reason(not sure if the Pistons were willing to give him a monster deal like the Raps did)..

The fact that he was recruited by Detroit cannot be underscored enough. If they threw like $7M/yr at Jodie Meeks I'm thinking Danny in the $15-16M range. Good on him for turning it down because a lot of pros wouldn't have. Love the commitment. Damn Spurs just make me happy.

Chinook
07-14-2015, 09:45 PM

"Had this been available to us before the draft, we would have done this deal," Van Gundy said. "Yes, we went and chased a couple of free agents — one, we backed out as the price went too steep. One just wanted to go back to where he was playing."

Makes me think the Pistons were trying to cheap out a bit. I doubt they were offering $14 Million a year to Green.

TDfan2007
07-14-2015, 09:57 PM
It's not surprising at all that he stayed IMO..look at how sad he was after the Clippers series', he probably took it harder than anybody, especially knowing that was probably his worst playoff series in a few years, too, doubt he wanted to end his Spurs' run like that..

I don't think Green has any delusion of wanting to be a star, as well(like many that took more money for a bigger role on a worse team), seems like he's happy with his role on a perennial contender..I expect he will finally break the 30 MPG barrier, this year, too, with Manu's age and Belinelli's departure..

There's a strong racial component in the NBA that makes most fans believe that every nigga is looking for a payday, and some of that is true, considering most Black athletes grew up in a poor environment(although that's not nearly as true with today's generation of players), but like we saw with David West's decision, some guys are happy with competition at the highest level, and a few million doesn't make a difference to them in the long run..

Very well said.

I love Danny's attitude and the competitive fire that he brings on both ends every night. He's a perfect Spur and I'm really glad that we got him back. Hearing him talk about letting down Tim and Manu was rough (showed great character though), so I'm happy he gets a chance for redemption this season.

100%duncan
07-14-2015, 10:10 PM
I love this man tbh. He's cool as fuck. Need to get his jersey tbh

manufan10
07-14-2015, 10:18 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1128049_o.gif

HI-FI
07-14-2015, 10:21 PM
This. Duncan will always be setting the tone for the players.

That being said, Green is such a badass. He's got a certain moxie this team has needed for awhile, and he seems to respond well to Pop's tough love.

SpursFan86
07-14-2015, 10:22 PM
From that interview with SAEN:

DG: “We talked on the phone up until the date. Pop told me to let them know what was happening (with other teams), what was going on before I make any decisions. I told him I would, and we kept in contact. Detroit came in and Toronto came in, and I told Pop. They (the Spurs) told me they might have some space. They’re not to to be able to give what other guys are going to offer, but they could come close. I said if you guys can get close, I’m coming back. It’s simple as that.”

So yeah, it sounds like other teams weren't willing to give Green the same type of money that guys like Carroll and Matthews got...at least not the ones he talked to at first. I actually remember seeing a tweet during the start of FA about GMs around the league being pretty split on whether Green was really deserving a big deal like that.

Regardless, thrilled to have him back. Like a few others here, I was always pretty confident he'd return. It probably would've taken someone throwing $15+ million/year at him for him to leave, and I don't think there were teams out there willing to do that.

Splits
07-14-2015, 10:25 PM
Full Q&A with LDN: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/07/14/were-not-expecting-to-come-out-and-be-the-greatest-team-ever-a-qa-with-danny-green/

timvp
07-14-2015, 10:27 PM

I hope not. Pop is a better coach when he has a whipping boy. I don't think it's a coincidence that Pop has been at his best back when he had TP to yell at and now that he has DG.

DG and TP are unique in that they just play better when Pop yells at them. About 99% of players would either curl up in a ball (RJ), play too hard (Bowen), roll their eyes(TD) or ignore him (Manu), tbh.

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2015, 10:28 PM
I hope not. Pop is a better coach when he has a whipping boy. I don't think it's a coincidence that Pop has been at his best back when he had TP to yell at and now that he has DG.

DG and TP are unique in that they just play better when Pop yells at them. About 99% of players would either curl up in a ball (RJ), play too hard (Bowen), roll their eyes(TD) or ignore him (Manu), tbh.

Hopefully Aldridge isn't in the RJ category:(..

timvp
07-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Hopefully Aldridge isn't in the RJ category:(..

I bet Pop puts Aldridge in the Kawhi category in that he's too introverted to respond well to a public tongue lashing.

SpursFan86
07-14-2015, 10:35 PM
I bet Pop puts Aldridge in the Kawhi category in that he's too introverted to respond well to a public tongue lashing.

Yeah come to think of it, I really can't specifically recall a time where Pop ripped Kawhi a new asshole in the middle of a game.

Also, I think it'll help when Aldridge sees one of his idols in Tim Duncan get chewed out. He'll know not to take it too personally or anything along those lines.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Key guy to bring back. Not just the outside shooting touch but underrated defender, rebounds solid for a guard, not to mention blocks a shot a game.

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Pop yells at Diaw pretty intensely, too, IIRC..that failed inbounds play earlier this season is stuck in my mind:lol..

Boris doesn't seem like the type that cares about anybody yelling at him, though..

ElNono
07-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Key guy to bring back. Not just the outside shooting touch but underrated defender, rebounds solid for a guard, not to mention blocks a shot a game.

Plus he plays like he cares and he's a winner... he just put his money where his mouth is....

Keepin' it real
07-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Yeah come to think of it, I really can't specifically recall a time where Pop ripped Kawhi a new asshole in the middle of a game.

I imagine we'll see some ripping this season. The training wheels are officially off.

SpursFan86
07-14-2015, 10:43 PM
I just hope Danny finally gets the minutes he deserves. No reason Green shouldn't get 30+ mpg this year with Belinelli being gone and Manu being another year older.

I know some people worry about our wing depth, but if Kawhi and Green get the minutes they should get (35-36 for Kawhi, 32-33 for Green), it really shouldn't be too much of an issue assuming guys stay healthy.

timvp
07-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Pop yells at Diaw pretty intensely, too, IIRC..that failed inbounds play earlier this season is stuck in my mind:lol..

Boris doesn't seem like the type that cares about anybody yelling at him, though..

Yeah, Diaw is in Manu's category. Pop's yelling just doesn't even register. Something about those creative players...

spursistan
07-14-2015, 10:52 PM
His monster performance in Game 7 has gone unobserved in our elimination..It was too late, but I have never seen Green laying it out court like that..That rejection on Griffin was just wowwww..

spursgu
07-14-2015, 11:12 PM
He was too important to replace. glad hes back.

Dex
07-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Absolutely love Verde. Dude is 100% Spur now. He's come such a long way from being Lebron's dancing buddy on the bench.

Before the summer began, most people figured getting LeMarcus was a longshot. Hell, I saw a few posters (really good ones in fact) go into depth about how it was just logistically impossible.

It therefore became a foregone conclusion that if we DID get LMA...Danny was going to be gone. And considering his value to the team and the difficulty of trying to replace him, I was on the fence of whether that move would even be worth it.

The fact that we got Aldridge AND kept Green, and Mills, and Bobo...still just blows my mind. And that is largely in part to the sacrifice Danny and Tim made. This team wouldn't be possible if he hadn't stayed loyal to the Spurs and had gone chasing a payday. Hell, it probably wouldn't even have been possible if he hadn't made his decision as quickly as he did, which allowed the Spurs to be in the forefront of the Aldridge sweepstakes. And his LMA tweets immediately following the announcement show that he knew there was a bigger picture being painted.

He deserves a huge amount of credit for that. :toast to Danny Green.

Oh, and then we went and signed David West for the minimum. :lmao

NASpurs
07-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Remember when the fucking idiots said Green could be replaced by Belinelli or Gary Neal if DG decided to bolt? Good times.

TE
07-14-2015, 11:39 PM
Absolutely love Verde. Dude is 100% Spur now. He's come such a long way from being Lebron's dancing buddy on the bench.

Before the summer began, most people figured getting LeMarcus was a longshot. Hell, I saw a few posters (really good ones in fact) go into depth about how it was just logistically impossible.

It therefore became a foregone conclusion that if we DID get LMA...Danny was going to be gone. And considering his value to the team and the difficulty of trying to replace him, I was on the fence of whether that move would even be worth it.

The fact that we got Aldridge AND kept Green, and Mills, and Bobo...still just blows my mind. And that is largely in part to the sacrifice Danny and Tim made. This team wouldn't be possible if he hadn't stayed loyal to the Spurs and had gone chasing a payday. Hell, it probably wouldn't even have been possible if he hadn't made his decision as quickly as he did, which allowed the Spurs to be in the forefront of the Aldridge sweepstakes. And his LMA tweets immediately following the announcement show that he knew there was a bigger picture being painted.

Can't be said any better than this. This is almost like winning a title, tbh. The amount of excitement around the team and the want to truly win another is there and you can see it with the paycuts. Now if we this next year...oh my...

turb0time
07-15-2015, 12:30 AM

Well said. :bobo

Johnny RIngo
07-15-2015, 01:18 AM
Marco's no longer on the squad to steal his minutes so Danny should get more playing time. At least 30 mpg

cutewizard
07-15-2015, 01:28 AM
way to go

cutewizard
07-15-2015, 01:28 AM
Hello Admins and Mods,

where are my other posts??

hmmmp

cutewizard
07-15-2015, 01:29 AM
Part of me feels like Green didn't know how much money he was giving up. He was the first of the big-money wings to sign. Aminu got $30M/4, but the Spurs moved so fast, that Green apparently didn't even get to meet with other teams. Detroit seemed to be the most serious, and SVG said that Carroll's deal was well out of their price range. So they probably didn't really offer Green as much as other teams would have. I think the Spurs got closer to what Detroit offered rather than what Sacramento would have.

I mean, I could sleep well at night knowing I made $45 Million rather than $70 Million. And I hope Green has no regrets about deciding so quickly. But the Spurs deserve major props in locking Danny up so early. That's almost as impressive as them getting LMA, all things considered. Perhaps the Splitter trade was worth even more than most of us thought.

money is not everything.....

there are other more important things other than money

LongtimeSpursFan
07-15-2015, 01:43 AM

Texas has one of the highest property tax rates in the country. We also have to pay state sales tax. So that state income tax everyone dreads is not that significant.

bluebellmaniac
07-15-2015, 01:51 AM
Texas has one of the highest property tax rates in the country. We also have to pay state sales tax. So that state income tax everyone dreads is not that significant.

And California has some of the highest inflated property values in the country. So in Texas he will get a lot more house and still pay less than what he would in Cali. Both in the price of the house and the property taxes.

Splits
07-15-2015, 01:57 AM
And California has some of the highest inflated property values in the country. So in Texas he will get a lot more house and still pay less than what he would in Cali. Both in the price of the house and the property taxes.

Not in Detroit though.

State income tax is a totally overblown talking point for NBA salaries.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-15-2015, 02:16 AM

Average home in California pays less tax than Texas despite higher property values. Values are higher in California because it's more desireable to live in when comparing high tech jobs, beautiful land and beaches, great weather, etc.

Vokun
07-15-2015, 02:16 AM
Let's just hope Pop doesn't sit him in crunch time again for some scrub, eh?

Danny is one of the most clutchest players on this team, play that damn man in crunch time dammit.

MI21
07-15-2015, 02:57 AM
Just a great teammate. Publicly and in the media, he is completely overshadowed by Kawhi when in actuality, he does a lot of things as good and/or better than Kawhi -- yet he doesn't feel the need to leave to increase his exposure/salary.

:toast to LDN

BOHOLANO#21
07-15-2015, 03:10 AM
When Danny Green said " we would have beaten the warriors in a series" in an interview during the Cavs- Warriors Finals i had a gut feeling there is a big chance he will return as a Spur.

T Park
07-15-2015, 03:13 AM

Only NBA guard to average a block and a steal a game last season.

Kawhitstorm
07-15-2015, 03:14 AM
Danny was a role player on a national championship team thus he probably feels most comfortable in that role & is most likely one of those players who absolutely can't stand losing considering his college/professional pedigree.

Spurtacular
07-15-2015, 03:20 AM
http://gifyu.com/images/PopovichChewsOutDannyGreen.gif

San Antonio Slayer
07-15-2015, 03:23 AM
Could someone please transform what Pop said here? I am from Ukraine, can't read his lips properly.

MI21
07-15-2015, 03:29 AM
Only NBA guard to average a block and a steal a game last season.

:tu

Best shotblocking guard since prime D-Wade, tbh.

I'm nearly certain there wouldn't be any other SG making 100 3's at 40%+ whilst playing 30MPG, :lol

BillMc
07-15-2015, 03:30 AM
Could someone please transform what Pop said here? I am from Ukraine, can't read his lips properly.

He said (and excuse the profanity) "I don't want to hear it. Shut the fuck up!" to Danny.

By the way where are you from in Ukraine? I lived 7 years in Kharkov.

therealtruth
07-15-2015, 03:31 AM
His monster performance in Game 7 has gone unobserved in our elimination..It was too late, but I have never seen Green laying it out court like that..That rejection on Griffin was just wowwww..

The one thing I can't get over is how TP failed to secure the ball after Green came up with a big defensive rebound in the 4th. That turnover lead to TP fouling Griffin. (That was one of several chances the Spurs blew to take over the game including TP's blown layup on Reddick.) Really that whole game DG was making defensive play after defensive play. Maybe Pop should have gone to DG on Griffin since no one else had success. Really him and TD were the guys that had the most success against him, highlighted by their huge rejections on him.

San Antonio Slayer
07-15-2015, 03:51 AM
He said (and excuse the profanity) "I don't want to hear it. Shut the fuck up!" to Danny.

By the way where are you from in Ukraine? I lived 7 years in Kharkov.
Thanx man for the help! I am from Chernivtsy. Kharkov is a very nice city in terms of basketball culture.

buttsR4rebounding
07-15-2015, 04:03 AM
Spurs' off-season MVP, IMO..He really let it all happen with that deal.. we should have a fan appreciation night for Danny where we all wear Green to a game.

San Antonio Slayer
07-15-2015, 04:28 AM
Danny was a noname in Cavs. I am glad he remembers everything and shows his appreciation by staying.

jag
07-15-2015, 05:37 AM

:lol Boris doesn't give a shit. He plays at his own pace and if he screws up, oh well...he didn't sub himself in

CGD
07-15-2015, 06:51 AM
I still can't believe the Spurs were able to keep Danny and Patty this offseason while adding LMA.

Johnny RIngo
07-15-2015, 07:15 AM
I still can't believe the Spurs were able to keep Danny and Patty this offseason while adding LMA.

Gotta thank Timmy for that one. Best bargain contract in NBA history.

spurspokesman
07-15-2015, 07:17 AM
Tim's personality is infectious. DG has been duncanized lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 07:45 AM
It was surprising how many of the Project Spurs, EN guys and others on Twitter were so pessimistic about Danny returning.

Probably wasted 10 hrs of my life trying to convince them that Danny wasn't going anywhere if SA's offer is close by 1-2 mil per.

It wasn't that close. Some teams offered Green much more. Word is he left about 20+mil on the table. Much bigger discount than his last contract which he left around 6 - 8mil. At 11mil, that was a good deal when considering the contract that were given out similar players. GM's lost their minds this offseason. Rockets were lucky to get Ariza for a 7mil a year contract.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 07:55 AM

Georgia property tax, well at least in Atlanta, is worse than Texas and they have a state tax and a sales tax. And their vehicle registration tax is just ridiculous. Where Texas makes it money is on the Corporate tax from oil and refineries and numerous Corporation incorporated in Texas. This allows them not to have a State Tax. Georgia just recently started getting Corporate HQ's moving here, but its still nowhere near the income Texas pulls.

tatteredprince
07-15-2015, 08:31 AM
three words:

loyalty

family and

love for the Spurs

tatteredprince
07-15-2015, 08:32 AM

plus adding West

plus Duncan and Manu returning

plus adding Marjanovic and the other young talents

almost too good to be true

tatteredprince
07-15-2015, 08:32 AM
may be there is a god after all

and this GOD loves the Spurs

lol

Mark Celibate
07-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Dude made the right decision staying with Spurs imho. He's a role player and a system player, it's highly questionable if he can be nearly as good elsewhere. So it was smart of him to stay in San Antonio, earning 11m/yr with the hope of getting himself another big contract a few years later, rather than expose himself in an awkward system, get bought out in a few years and play for vet minimum on random teams until retiring.

Spur|n|Austin
07-15-2015, 09:05 AM
plus adding West

plus Duncan and Manu returning

plus adding Marjanovic and the other young talents

almost too good to be true

Can't forget locking in Kawhi for years to come.

Mugen
07-15-2015, 09:06 AM

I would think that Danny's agent is more competent than that tbh.

I do agree that Detroit probably wasn't offering as much as the Raptors, Kings, Mavs ended up giving but Danny's agent had to know that his client had plenty of suitors and could have gotten a much bigger deal....

SpursBig3s
07-15-2015, 09:35 AM
some great posts in this thread. This goes along with what some other poster said (can't direct quote for some reason, computer acting up), but I really hope that whenever our opening night at home, DG gets just as loud and crazy of a standing ovation that Timmy, LMA, and Kawhi will get. He deserves it. True Spur through and through

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 01:45 PM
Not how it works, at all. You get taxed on every game at the local rate. It's been that way for years. It still helps to have 41 home games in TX, but if the schedule breaks wrong, he could pay up to 8 games of Cali taxes.
You don't have to file 30+ tax returns, do you?!? That'd be impossible! If so how do these athletes, many of them with <100 IQs, not get indicted for multiple counts of accidental tax fraud every year?

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Not in Detroit though.

State income tax is a totally overblown talking point for NBA salaries.
I actually debated spending $10k to get a mansion in Detroit a couple years back. Unfortunately I'd also have to hire a bodyguard and bring quite a few guns.

jsandiego
07-15-2015, 01:55 PM
You don't have to file 30+ tax returns, do you?!? That'd be impossible! If so how do these athletes, many of them with <100 IQs, not get indicted for multiple counts of accidental tax fraud every year?
exstatic is correct - they are working on-site in different states. Each game is subject to that state's taxes. So if you play in TX, you'll probably get 45 TX games/year w/o state income tax. In CA, you'd potentially get 47 CA games a year. Top rate in CA is 13.3% I believe.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/professional-athletes-big-league-tax-071447565.html

So just ballpark, it probably costs you 7% more in state income taxes to play for a CA team vs. playing for a TX team.

Stabula
07-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Hope this guy stays a Spur for life. So much respect for players like this.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 02:01 PM
exstatic is correct - they are working on-site in different states. Each game is subject to that state's taxes. So if you play in TX, you'll probably get 45 TX games/year w/o state income tax. In CA, you'd potentially get 47 CA games a year. Top rate in CA is 13.3% I believe. So just ballpark, it probably costs you 7% more in state income taxes to play for a CA team vs. playing for a TX team.
49, counting the Memphis and Florida games. Seattle moving to OKC knocks 1-2 off that, too.

jsandiego
07-15-2015, 02:04 PM
49, counting the Memphis and Florida games. Seattle moving to OKC knocks 1-2 off that, too.
Yes true about the Florida tax situation. But since I was evaluating a CA vs. TX scenario, all taxes paid in other jurisdictions/states would be a wash.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/professional-athletes-big-league-tax-071447565.html

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Yes true about the Florida tax situation. But since I was evaluating a CA vs. TX scenario, all taxes paid in other jurisdictions/states would be a wash.

Only 1 game @ Memphis every 3rd year (since non-SW division). So a slight advantage there for TX players.

will_spurs
07-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Glad to see him back and great of him to show loyalty to the franchise that made it all possible for him. Without the Spurs he probably wouldn't be playing in the NBA any more...

jsandiego
07-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Only 1 game @ Memphis every 3rd year (since non-SW division). So a slight advantage there for TX players.
Yeah good point. I also know there's offsets on federal income taxes for paying taxes in another state, but i'm not sure to what extent. It would be interesting to see some sort of chart that showed how much % you'd save between Team X and Team Y based on tax advantages.

It was also interesting - the article said a lot of Canadian hockey players move to the U.S. so they can claim our federal tax rates instead of Canada's. It saves them 13% right off the top.

You in Denton I take it? I'm in Frisco.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 02:19 PM
Yeah good point. I also know there's offsets on federal income taxes for paying taxes in another state, but i'm not sure to what extent. It would be interesting to see some sort of chart that showed how much % you'd save between Team X and Team Y based on tax advantages.

It was also interesting - the article said a lot of Canadian hockey players move to the U.S. so they can claim our federal tax rates instead of Canada's. It saves them 13% right off the top.

You in Denton I take it? I'm in Frisco.
Well I'm the analytics major here but I'm currently stalling on reading for my b-law class that I'm supposed to have read the first 4 chapters by tonight at 6pm.

&

Yes, posting from Sycamore hall library at UNT. I was at that nice mall in Frisco last weekend with a friend. I need to hitch a ride back there because I want to buy some golf khaki shorts from the Vineyard Vines there.

jsandiego
07-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Well I'm the analytics major here but I'm currently stalling on reading for my b-law class that I'm supposed to have read the first 4 chapters by tonight at 6pm.

&

Yes, posting from Sycamore hall library at UNT. I was at that nice mall in Frisco last weekend with a friend. I need to hitch a ride back there because I want to buy some golf khaki shorts from the Vineyard Vines there.
Good for you. I do oil & gas attorney work, mostly out of the house. About 8 years ago, I was almost hired as Assistant General Counsel for the UNT system. It was between me and another who had a bit more experience than I did. Would've been an interesting career path, but what I do now is pretty cool too.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Good for you. I do oil & gas attorney work, mostly out of the house. About 8 years ago, I was almost hired as Assistant General Counsel for the UNT system. It was between me and another who had a bit more experience than I did. Would've been an interesting career path, but what I do now is pretty cool too.
You have a law degree? Awesome, I'm sure making six figures is the wise career path especially if you have children and everything.

jsandiego
07-15-2015, 03:51 PM
You have a law degree? Awesome, I'm sure making six figures is the wise career path especially if you have children and everything.
LOL not exactly.. there are plenty of JDs, and not enough lawyer jobs. It can be rough going out there. I'm surviving though, so it's all good.

dgspursforlife
07-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Dude made the right decision staying with Spurs imho. He's a role player and a system player, it's highly questionable if he can be nearly as good elsewhere. So it was smart of him to stay in San Antonio, earning 11m/yr with the hope of getting himself another big contract a few years later, rather than expose himself in an awkward system, get bought out in a few years and play for vet minimum on random teams until retiring.
This is what I don't get, tbh. How is he start going to suck on a team when all the team needs to do is make sure he get's open looks from 3? I mean any half-competent NBA offense can generate open loooks from beyond the arc. And it's not like his D is very system dependent

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 04:42 PM
LOL not exactly.. there are plenty of JDs, and not enough lawyer jobs. It can be rough going out there. I'm surviving though, so it's all good.
Getting a professional post-bacc degree isn't about "surviving", lol, it's about living comfortably without having to worry about finances/expenses affecting one's personal life. Nobody goes to law school to live paycheck to paycheck.

Chinook
07-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Wonder if Green and the Spurs had a similar understanding to Dallas and Matthews. Like had the Spurs struck out in free agency, they would have given him more.

Skoobz
07-15-2015, 09:50 PM
That niggah Derek Anderson should look at DG when when he's searching for the meaning of loyalty!

"We ride together, we die together"