PDA

View Full Version : What is Sean Elliott doin these days?

wisdomafterall
07-14-2015, 07:25 PM
its a surprise hes not around the NBA like other retired NBA players such as bowen, reggie, bones, steve, etc.

TXstbobcat
07-14-2015, 07:28 PM
He is the TV color guy for the Spurs broadcasts with Bill Land.

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-14-2015, 07:29 PM
its a surprise hes not around the NBA like other retired NBA players such as bowen, reggie, bones, steve, etc.

He's the team's color commentator, I think that's being around the NBA plenty...

TXstbobcat
07-14-2015, 07:30 PM
Really nice guy. This season when I drove to Milwaukee to see the Spurs game I got his autograph. He spent over 30 minutes signing autographs and posing for pictures with Spurs fans at that game.

ace3g
07-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Probably playing golf at the JW Marriott

Mikeanaro
07-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Whats doing these days? I dont know we should send someone to track him down.
http://www.psychologische-manipulatie.nl/Nieuws/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/stalking.jpg

spurs10
07-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Probably playing golf at the JW Marriott Sounds about right! I've spoken with Sean a few times and think he is an absolute first class act. Yeah, he's got his hands full with Bill Land and the Spurs! Fore!!!

SpurAddict561
07-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Is this a serious question?

pgardn
07-15-2015, 08:42 AM
Really nice guy. This season when I drove to Milwaukee to see the Spurs game I got his autograph. He spent over 30 minutes signing autographs and posing for pictures with Spurs fans at that game.

He is happy to be alive.

Fireball
07-15-2015, 08:43 AM
just buy League Pass and listen to his wonderful commentary ...

btw if Aldridge hits a three, will it be a Longhorn triple?

pgardn
07-15-2015, 08:52 AM
just buy League Pass and listen to his wonderful commentary ...

btw if Aldridge hits a three, will it be a Longhorn triple?

If Sean says going "top shelf" again, I will punch him in the kidney no I won't.

Chomag
07-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Hopefully not opening a pet shop.

DisAsTerBot
07-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Hopefully not opening a pet shop.

i loved full court pets! still got my turtle shirt

SpursFanInAustin
07-15-2015, 09:33 AM
I would love to hear Elliott's thoughts on the addition of Aldridge and West.

Spur|n|Austin
07-15-2015, 09:37 AM
I would love to hear Elliott's thoughts on the addition of Aldridge and West.

I wish I could have heard his excitement right when he got the news - the finest Spurs homer there ever was.

Ruler
07-15-2015, 01:19 PM
When I was a little boy, Sean signed a Spurs basketball I had (along with Bonner and Jaque Vaughn).

Then this year I went to the Raptors @ Spurs game (the one in the spring where we blew them out) and had 5th row seats. Went down behind Bill & Sean during pre game warmups and got to shake Sean's hand and talk to him for a minute. Super cool dude. Noticed he had a ziploc full of candies and chocolates, tootsie rolls. This guy...

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Unlike Bowen, Elliοt didn't like the national ESPN experience and was loyal enough to come back and be a Spur for life. With the signing of #12 Aldridge, Bowen is just another one of the forgotten ones like Jaren Jackson, Charles Smith, Nick Van Exel, Anthony Goldwire, Steve Smith, James White, Damon Stoudamire or Austin Croshere.

tesseractive
07-15-2015, 02:09 PM
Unlike Bowen, Elliοt didn't like the national ESPN experience and was loyal enough to come back and be a Spur for life. With the signing of #12 Aldridge, Bowen is just another one of the forgotten ones like Jaren Jackson, Charles Smith, Nick Van Exel, Anthony Goldwire, Steve Smith, James White, Damon Stoudamire or Austin Croshere.
Are you serious? Bowen was huge for us on three different title teams, and forgetting him is some serious jackassery. The fact that he let LaMarcus use his retired jersey number just to help him feel welcome in town is the kind of class move Bowen is known for. WTF is wrong with you?

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Are you serious? Bowen was huge for us on three different title teams, and forgetting him is some serious jackassery. The fact that he let LaMarcus use his retired jersey number just to help him feel welcome in town is the kind of class move Bowen is known for. WTF is wrong with you?
Odds are we would have still won the titles with, say, an offensive-minded and more talented starting SF. And we might have scored more than 73 points when trying to repeat against the Lakers in '04, rendering Fisher's shot academic.

tesseractive
07-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Odds are we would have still won the titles with, say, an offensive-minded and more talented starting SF. And we might have scored more than 73 points when trying to repeat against the Lakers in '04, rendering Fisher's shot academic.
You're rewriting history.

Bowen was crucial to the team for defending guys like Kobe. Back in the back in the Illegal Defense era, defending the best players one on one was even more important than having extra scorers, because teams mostly did more damage on isos and post-ups than via team offense, and there was a limit to how much help you could provide an individual defender. Bowen was the best perimeter defender of the era, period. That was huge. And spotting up in the corner was just good enough offensively to provide the spacing Duncan needed at the time.

Second, we brought Bowen in on a dirt-cheap contract at first, and he always played for reasonable money. Hypothetically, if we had had a high pick or space for a max salary and could have brought in an elite SF, that might have been delightful. But the guy you are imagining wasn't going to play for us, because we didn't have a way to get him.

I don't understand why anyone would crap on a crucial player for us through 3 title runs, I really don't. No class.

Monkeyboy14
07-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Are you retarded? You should listen to tesseractive. Bowen was huge for us, we didnt need an offensive minded player, we had TD for all the offense we needed.. but we needed a defender to stop other guards.. Plus to say we will forget Bowen now since LMA has number 12 is stupid.. Bowens jersey is still hanging up there.. its not like they took it down. Always remember Bruce~

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 02:35 PM

Bowen was crucial to the team for defending guys like Kobe. Back in the back in the Illegal Defense era, defending the best players one on one was even more important than having extra scorers, because teams mostly did more damage on isos and post-ups than via team offense, and there was a limit to how much help you could provide an individual defender. Bowen was the best perimeter defender of the era, period. That was huge. And spotting up in the corner was just good enough offensively to provide the spacing Duncan needed at the time.

Second, we brought Bowen in on a dirt-cheap contract at first, and he always played for reasonable money. Hypothetically, if we had had a high pick or space for a max salary and could have brought in an elite SF, that might have been delightful. But the guy you are imagining wasn't going to play for us, because we didn't have a way to get him.

I don't understand why anyone would crap on a crucial player for us through 3 title runs, I really don't. No class.
Zone defense was legalized in the 2001 offseason, before Bruce even signed... really the only difference is you couldn't just hedge/psuedo double the post back then, whereas under today's more liberal illegal defense rules you can as long as you're not in the paint. Reduces the effectiveness of a Dwight Howard or prime Shaq, but you can't really pseudo double guys like Kobe from 20 feet because they'll make you pay.

TXstbobcat
07-15-2015, 02:37 PM

I agree. Bowen was a crucial role player for the spurs and was one of the best perimiter defenders in the NBA.

Monkeyboy14
07-15-2015, 02:37 PM

Well.. people have been doing it with Tony and Manu for years.. I agree with your points. Just saying.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Are you retarded? You should listen to tesseractive. Bowen was huge for us, we didnt need an offensive minded player, we had TD for all the offense we needed.. but we needed a defender to stop other guards.. Plus to say we will forget Bowen now since LMA has number 12 is stupid.. Bowens jersey is still hanging up there.. its not like they took it down. Always remember Bruce~
Bowen was special against the Lakers. But he was also part of the reason we'd go on those scoring droughts which often let teams come back from huge deficits when they'd figure us out. Teams would hide their PG/worst defender on him, making sure they stay attached when Bowen is in the corners. On offense they'd run a hard screen for their star so someone like Ginobili, Barry or Finley would be forced to guard the primary option. Just like they do for Leonard today and score 110 on us. It's not too hard, the primary reason why the Spurs' defensive numbers such as opp PPG looked better in the early 00s is because 1) our offense was slower and didn't aim for quick shots and 2) NBA offenses just weren't as smart and analytical back then as they are now. Back then it was dump it to the star and let him dribble for 15 seconds to get a shot or create for a teammate, now it's a ton of flares/screen action to get the highest percentage shots.

Monkeyboy14
07-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Bowen was special against the Lakers. But he was also part of the reason we'd go on those scoring droughts which often let teams come back from huge deficits when they'd figure us out. Teams would hide their PG/worst defender on him, making sure they stay attached when Bowen is in the corners. On offense they'd run a hard screen for their star so someone like Ginobili, Barry or Finley would be forced to guard the primary option. Just like they do for Leonard today and score 110 on us. It's not too hard, the primary reason why the Spurs' defensive numbers such as opp PPG looked better in the early 00s is because 1) our offense was slower and didn't aim for quick shots and 2) NBA offenses just weren't as smart and analytical back then as they are now. Back then it was dump it to the star and let him dribble for 15 seconds to get a shot or create for a teammate, now it's a ton of flares/screen action to get the highest percentage shots.

So what you're saying is Bowen had faults, just like every other player ever? He was still a major part of a team that one 3 chips together. Also, bringing up the way the NBA played in the past means nothing, and takes nothing away from what Bowen provided, if anything it made him more valuable. So yeah, back then teams would give the ball to a player and let him dribble it around for 15 seconds, like you said. So doesn't that make what Bowen did even more important as far as defense? If we didn't have him who would guard the star that has the ball for 15 seconds? Also, in that era, wouldn't that make his offensive limits less noticeable? If teams are just going to give the ball to one Star anyway, why does it matter if Bowen is so limited? It's not like he was going to be the guy they gave the ball to anyway right? Lastly, you didn't reply about your comment about forgetting Bruce.. why exactly do you feel that way? His jersey is still up in the rafters..

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Dude is around Spurs basketball probably more than any other former player.

mudyez
07-15-2015, 05:06 PM

same in berlin! great guy!

Laughing Gravy
07-15-2015, 05:44 PM
UNT 2016

Severe tardation about Bowen. Jesus Christ...

UNT Eagles 2016
07-15-2015, 05:50 PM
So what you're saying is Bowen had faults, just like every other player ever? He was still a major part of a team that one 3 chips together. Also, bringing up the way the NBA played in the past means nothing, and takes nothing away from what Bowen provided, if anything it made him more valuable. So yeah, back then teams would give the ball to a player and let him dribble it around for 15 seconds, like you said. So doesn't that make what Bowen did even more important as far as defense? If we didn't have him who would guard the star that has the ball for 15 seconds? Also, in that era, wouldn't that make his offensive limits less noticeable? If teams are just going to give the ball to one Star anyway, why does it matter if Bowen is so limited? It's not like he was going to be the guy they gave the ball to anyway right? Lastly, you didn't reply about your comment about forgetting Bruce.. why exactly do you feel that way? His jersey is still up in the rafters..
He's an ESPNer, not a Spur. Also, they didn't have the impact on the Spurs culture that Iceman, the Admiral, James Silas, Sean Elliοt, and TD have had. The questionable ones are Bowen, Avery Johnson (was always overrated), and Moore (who was just a good player but during the Spurs dark age -- a more contemporary example would be, say, retiring Elton Brand's jersey for being a high-stats star on the lowly Clippers of the 00s). Bowen's impact was certainly inflated by the time in which he played. He would be unplayable now with his offensive and quickness ineptitudes -- this is why we cut him in 2009 when teams were starting the analytics transition process. A guy like Trevor Ariza, on the other hand, is still valuable because his defense is just as good and he is capable in transition and can take it to the rim when need be.

Jdspur20
07-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Best recent Sean Moment recently stTing after Spurs heat series was tied 1-1. He told ESPN Spurs could still win in 5 even then, Stephen A Smith went nuts and said he was crazy. Ninja 1, Stephen A, 0.

davidbowie
07-15-2015, 07:54 PM
damn this thread is ass

davidbowie
07-15-2015, 08:06 PM
*Speedy scores on a fast break*

"well, they don't call him Slowy Claxton" --Sean Elliott

ohmwrecker
07-15-2015, 09:08 PM
I'll bet Wild Cobra knows where he is.

BatManu20
07-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Who knows. Nobody's heard a word from him since he retired. It's like he just vanished. Your guess is as good as ours.

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2015, 09:50 PM
:lol nice work, OP..

Beaverfuzz
07-15-2015, 10:51 PM

I saw him on a milk carton recently, I hope he's found soon.

Mikeanaro
07-15-2015, 10:52 PM
He´s beyond retarded, he is.......WALLY SZCZERBIAK!

Spurs9
07-15-2015, 11:27 PM
Probably watering his lawn, he used to be the highest water user in SA :lol

.G.
07-16-2015, 12:01 AM
Probably eating at Taco Cabana from dusk to dawn. I once saw it on the tv so it must be true.

Dingle Barry
07-16-2015, 11:28 AM
My opinion of UNT as a school just hit the shitter. Oh wait, it was already there.

offset formation
07-16-2015, 02:21 PM

Yep. Ran into him at a UT game last fall. Could not have been nicer. Super guy.

davidbowie
07-16-2015, 04:18 PM
where can i watch sean's old taco cabana commercials