PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'm the only.....

rr2418
09-13-2005, 12:03 PM
one that's not getting on the Saints bandwagon. This might be the best opportunity for SA to get a team, but I just can't get in the flow of things. I guess it's b/c I'm a HUGE Dallas Cowboys fan, and always will be. I'll probably root for them even if SA gets a handmedown team like the Saints. It would be better if SA got an expansion team, but that isn't going to happen. I know for sure if the Cowboys and Saints should meet in the playoffs, I'm staying with the Cowboys! It would be interesting to see how many "REAL" Cowboy fans are in SA.
I also didn't like the fact that the Express News put the Saints as headliners in the Sports section. Oh come on now!! Getting excited for any NFL game being played here is one thing, but rooting for the Saints?? This is the same team nobody was paying any attention to two months ago. Go figure!!! The Thompson brothers actually referred to the Saints as the "San Antonio Saints". They were carrying on like it was the city's team and went as far as to shout "Go Saints Go!" :rolleyes
One thing the city of SA is forgetting is NO fans "want their team back!" It's in bad taste for us to be "pushing" for the Saints to stay here while their city is in shambles. God forbid, but how would the Spurs fans feel if there was a natural disaster, and the team had to move their games? In other words, the tables are now turned the other way,and they were playing in another city, in another venue, another state? And the "other" city was pushing for the team to stay there? Hmmmmm, people would start thinking a little differently.

samikeyp
09-13-2005, 12:08 PM
I am a huge Cowboys fan as well but hoping the Saints do well with all they have been through is not a bad thing. If they were playing the Cowboys that would be one thing but they're not so what harm is there? Honestly, if the Saints move permanently, IMO, it will be to Los Angeles. The NFL wants a team there and its a huge market. This is probably going to be it for us here so why not enjoy it? Also, the NFL is dicking the Saints with their scheduling so why not make these players, who have been through so much emotionally, feel welcome.

MiNuS
09-13-2005, 01:14 PM
never liked them.They're a very insignificant team like the AZ Cardinals. Its sad what happenned to N.O. but the team is better off moving elsewhere and erasing their disastrous NFL history.

I am a Cowboys fan.

8 Superbowl appearances,5 championships.

Did you all see that Chargers game? That's why the Cowboys are "America's Team"

sa_butta
09-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Sorry to dissapoint but Im a Dolphins fan and I was hoping for the Fins vs Saints game to be here. Didnt get my wish, but I would not mind seeing Vick in action live.

http://www.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/2760championshipbanner.GIF

samikeyp
09-13-2005, 02:13 PM
nice banner butta! :)

msufan420
09-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Did you all see that Chargers game? That's why the Cowboys are "America's Team"

SELF PROCLAIMED America's team....They aren't MY team, and they aren't a GREAT number of people's team. Just knock it off with that b.s....Good job on the win though, even if I do believe that the Chargers were overrated. The Cowboys offense did show some life that I did not see during preseason. Let's just see if they can keep it going.

samikeyp
09-13-2005, 02:37 PM
SELF PROCLAIMED America's team

technically that is incorrect. NFL Films gave them that name after the 1976 season to go with the nation's Bicentennial. Every team has a 30min. season highlight package. (You often see them on ESPN Classic) The Cowboys did nothing to start that. A lot of their fans have continued it. Personally, I never liked it because NFL Films doesn't speak for everyone and I understand other teams and their fans objections to it. America's teams should be ones that represent all of American....although right now the Saints have my vote.

msufan420
09-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Well I guess technically I am wrong...however my point was clear.

Vashner
09-13-2005, 02:52 PM
It's NFL football... beer.. food.. then after party downtown...

If you don't think that's cool then stay at home and stare at a piece of plastic or glass....

MiNuS
09-13-2005, 03:25 PM
SELF PROCLAIMED America's team....They aren't MY team, and they aren't a GREAT number of people's team. Just knock it off with that b.s....Good job on the win though, even if I do believe that the Chargers were overrated. The Cowboys offense did show some life that I did not see during preseason. Let's just see if they can keep it going.
I believe it was 92 when your beloved Lions together with "The Great" B Sanders beat the Cowboys and denied them from going to the NFC Title game.

I know its my opinion but it was evident in San Diego at least how many fans were rooting for the Pokes vs the Chargers.

I know "America's Team" has been thrown out loosely to other teams like the Patriots but come on the Cowboys own that nickname! Own it !

samikeyp
09-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Well I guess technically I am wrong...however my point was clear.

Your point wasn't being doubted. I don't know how many is "a great number" but I do know that there are probably more Dallas fans than you might think. I know that when I watch road games there is always a sizable contengent of Cowboys fans in attendance. Again, we really can't be accurate but just a guess. It wouldn't be fair for either of us to make an assessment because I am in a big Cowboys area and you are in a big Lions area. I know that when the Cowboys have played the Cardinals, many times the only sellouts AZ would get was when Dallas was in town and it was at least 50% Cowboys fans.

samikeyp
09-13-2005, 03:29 PM
I believe it was 92 when your beloved Lions together with "The Great" B Sanders beat the Cowboys and denied them from going to the NFC Title game.

actually Barry was pretty great in that game! :depressed
:p

MiNuS
09-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Your point wasn't being doubted. I don't know how many is "a great number" but I do know that there are probably more Dallas fans than you might think. I know that when I watch road games there is always a sizable contengent of Cowboys fans in attendance. Again, we really can't be accurate but just a guess. It wouldn't be fair for either of us to make an assessment because I am in a big Cowboys area and you are in a big Lions area. I know that when the Cowboys have played the Cardinals, many times the only sellouts AZ would get was when Dallas was in town and it was at least 50% Cowboys fans.
it was never more evident when "Moose" Johnston carried or made a reception in an away game. The whole stadium would chant "mooooooooooooooooooooose"

You knew "America's Team" was in the house.

MiNuS
09-13-2005, 03:36 PM
actually Barry was pretty great in that game! :depressed
:p
He sure was. Even though Emmitt is the all-time rushing leader and a Cowboy but Barry Sanders is the GREATEST RB the NFL has seen. Its a shame he had such a poor surrounding cast.

I remember seeing the Chicago Vs Cowboys 92 game recorded like 50x at least.
Ditka was still coach.

samikeyp
09-13-2005, 03:48 PM
I disagree with that slightly. IMO, I think Barry Sanders was the best pure runner ever and defintely the best I have ever seen but I think Emmitt was a better football player. Barry would run all day and could turn a 3 yard loss into an 80 yd score but IMO Emmitt was a better reciever and blocker in addition to a great runner.

MiNuS
09-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I disagree with that slightly. IMO, I think Barry Sanders was the best pure runner ever and defintely the best I have ever seen but I think Emmitt was a better football player. Barry would run all day and could turn a 3 yard loss into an 80 yd score but IMO Emmitt was a better reciever and blocker in addition to a great runner.
true

sa_butta
09-13-2005, 03:55 PM
nice banner butta! :)Thanks I got it from a Dolphins forum.

msufan420
09-13-2005, 04:27 PM

I know its my opinion but it was evident in San Diego at least how many fans were rooting for the Pokes vs the Chargers.

I know "America's Team" has been thrown out loosely to other teams like the Patriots but come on the Cowboys own that nickname! Own it !

That was one of my favorite games of all time...however it was '91 and the Lions went on to get spanked by the Redskins. There was one play that I can still see vividly in my mind when Barry was getting "tackled" a few Cowboys only to dart from underneath the scruff to jet across the other side of the field towards the endzone...there was even Cowboys walking off the field since they thought the play was dead.

I disagree with that slightly. IMO, I think Barry Sanders was the best pure runner ever and defintely the best I have ever seen but I think Emmitt was a better football player. Barry would run all day and could turn a 3 yard loss into an 80 yd score but IMO Emmitt was a better reciever and blocker in addition to a great runner

We could argue this all day and get nowhere...in fact, we have when I first joined Spurstalk. While I believe Barry was better than Emmit, neither of them are the best ever. That title goes to Jim Brown, who could easily be the most dominate player ever to set foot on the field.

FromWayDowntown
09-13-2005, 05:03 PM
This thread essentially proves my point. San Antonio says it wants professional football, but in reality, San Antonians want the Dallas Cowboys to move to San Antonio. It's not about having a football team -- it's about having the right football team. And that's one big reason why we'll never get our own team here.

If the NFL said tomorrow that the New Orleans Saints would be permanently relocated to San Antonio, they'd be fortunate if they were able to be the 2nd most popular team in this city.

IceColdBrewski
09-13-2005, 05:45 PM
This thread essentially proves my point. San Antonio says it wants professional football, but in reality, San Antonians want the Dallas Cowboys to move to San Antonio. It's not about having a football team -- it's about having the right football team. And that's one big reason why we'll never get our own team here.

I'm an Eagle fan and I want NFL in San Antonio. I couldn't give 2 shits about the Cowboys. Try again.

NINERS4LIFE
09-13-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm an Eagle fan and I want NFL in San Antonio. I couldn't give 2 shits about the Cowboys. Try again.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!! FUCK the Cowgirls!!!! I am a huge NINERS fan, but I will be buying the 3 game pack along with several buddies of mine.

NFL in SAN ANTONIO baby!!!! You can't beat it!!!!

By the way BREWSKI, watch out for my BOYZ on Sunday, they are on a roll!!!!!! :spin

NINERS 4 LIFE!!!!!!

Until we get the SAINTS, then it's NINERS and SAints for LIFE!!!!! :elephant

Horry For 3!
09-13-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm a Cowboys fan but I am still going to the Saints game. I have never been to a NFL game before so this is my chance to go to one. I will be going to see the Saints face the Falcons. :)

Horry For 3!
09-13-2005, 06:43 PM
DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!! FUCK the Cowgirls!!!! I am a huge NINERS fan, but I will be buying the 3 game pack along with several buddies of mine.

NFL in SAN ANTONIO baby!!!! You can't beat it!!!!

By the way BREWSKI, watch out for my BOYZ on Sunday, they are on a roll!!!!!! :spin

NINERS 4 LIFE!!!!!!

Until we get the SAINTS, then it's NINERS and SAints for LIFE!!!!! :elephant
I'd feel sorry for the 49ers because Eagles are going to be pissed from losing against the Falcons and they will bounce back.

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2005, 07:14 PM
So who's planning the Spurstalk Tailgate GTG?

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2005, 07:14 PM
NFL games are an all day event. Its like a NASCAR event. like vanessa says "its huge"

Please don't compare it to NASCAR, I won't want to go.

Clandestino
09-13-2005, 08:19 PM
i was a fucking oilers fan, but they left.... i tried to watch the titans, but it was tennessee's team... so then i became a texans fan.. i try to stick with the teams i live near... so, now this season i'm rooting for the saints and the texans...

and btw the way, the saints were on their way out of new orleans before this hurricane hit..

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2005, 08:22 PM
i was a fucking oilers fan, but they left.... i tried to watch the titans, but it was tennessee's team... so then i became a texans fan.. i try to stick with the teams i live near...

I feel the same way dude. I was an Oilers fan since I was a wee lad. I'm root for the Texans now but if San Antonio gets the Saints permanently, I'm going to trade in my blue and red for black and gold.

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Oh yeah, FUCK BUD ADAMS for moving the Oilers.

Sorry, a bunch of old painful memories coming back.

Mr. Ash
09-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Big Oilers fan here as well. I tried the Titans too, and I'm trying real hard to like the Texans. Just not the same - man, where's the run-and-gun when you need it?

Clandestino
09-13-2005, 08:32 PM
hahah... all of us displaced oilers fans.. we need a fucking support group! and yes, the titans are so hard to watch... running every single play and then throwing when the defense knows it is your only chance and they either sack you or blanket your wrs

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2005, 10:26 PM
I think they need to find a new coaching staff for the Texans. The O.C. is terrible. It seems like they never try throwing the ball downfield. AJ can burn most cornerbacks in this league. Why not have Carr drop back and just launch it, if anything AJ can reach up and snatch it from defenders hands like Moss does. I'm tired of watching them waste the talent of these guys trying to run the ball on first and second down on EVERY fucking drive.

msufan420
09-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Why not have Carr drop back and just launch it, if anything AJ can reach up and snatch it from defenders hands like Moss does.
Because Carr isn't P. Manning and Johnson isn't Randy Moss...and "playmaker" only works in Madden.

kskonn
09-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Has everyone seen all the complaints about the possibility of the NFL showing the saints games in this area instead of the Cowboys games? and the ratings the cowboys get in san antonio are incredible. I believe they received a rating of 22 in San Antonio last sunday, that is really high. I believe popular shows often start at about a 9, but I am not 100% on that.

I personally would go to some games, because it would be fun, even if they are not my favorite team it is still a good time. I would just attend the games in addition to the the 2 or so games a year I go see the cowboys.