PDA

View Full Version : LOL @ Haters. How bad is Coach Popovich?

Embedded
07-16-2015, 07:36 PM
He is so bad that when his assistant Coach Budenholzer leaves and becomes Coach of the Year, in his acceptance speech he, choked up, calls Coach Popovich the real Coach of the Year. When have you EVER seen a coach of ANOTHER TEAM give an accolade like that? I knew he was good, on of the best ever. But that speech by Coach Bud made me realize there's ever more. Just like he teaches his players, he is definitely over himself, and a team player.

steeledl
07-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Everyone knows coach pop is goat.

TheGoldStandard
07-16-2015, 07:45 PM
He is so bad that when his assistant Coach Budenholzer leaves and becomes Coach of the Year, in his acceptance speech he, choked up, calls Coach Popovich the real Coach of the Year. When have you EVER seen a coach of ANOTHER TEAM give an accolade like that? I knew he was good, on of the best ever. But that speech by Coach Bud made me realize there's ever more. Just like he teaches his players, he is definitely over himself, and a team player.

Except when he's not over himself and blames others for his bad coaching decisions

Spur|n|Austin
07-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Everyone knows coach pop is goat.

Hang around here long enough, and you'll see there are plenty of schmucks who don't feel the same.

DesignatedT
07-16-2015, 07:51 PM
:lol the Spurs and Duncan would have been done a long time ago if the spurstalk experts ran things

dabom
07-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Wed have six if it wasn't for poP.

Mikeanaro
07-16-2015, 07:56 PM
Except when he's not over himself and blames others for his bad coaching decisions
Agreed, that was lame.

Shipupi
07-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Wed have 0 if it wasn't for poP.

FTFY

SpursforSix
07-16-2015, 08:35 PM

This is incredibly short sighted and has to be a joke.

dabom
07-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Pop wouldn't be in the league if he didn't draft duncan. FTFY. :lmao

SpursforSix
07-16-2015, 08:43 PM

That's not right. He's the best coach in the league. And always in the top 3 of any poll.

SquawkinHawkBigCock
07-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Pop wouldn't be in the league if he didn't draft duncan. FTFY. :lmaoDamn you're one massive faggot

dabom
07-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Damn you're one massive faggot

Shut up bitch. You don't know shit. :lmao

dabom
07-16-2015, 08:46 PM
That's not right. He's the best coach in the league. And always in the top 3 of any poll.

Actually I'm right.

SpursforSix
07-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Pop is the most intelligent coach in the league. He's old school and doesn't cater to the childish prima donnas. He's one of those rare leaders that's hard in his players but everyone of them would die for him. Exaggeration. But he is like a general that leads a squad into battle. He has the same stuff as mcArthur and Patton. I know it's not the same but I can see him as a military leader.

dabom
07-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Pop is the most intelligent coach in the league. He's old school and doesn't cater to the childish prima donnas. He's one of those rare leaders that's hard in his players but everyone of them would die for him. Exaggeration. But he is like a general that leads a squad into battle. He has the same stuff as mcArthur and Patton. I know it's not the same but I can see him as a military leader.

He'll we'd still have GH if Bud didn't convince Pop to do the trade. :lmao

steeledl
07-16-2015, 08:54 PM

Lmao one of the biggest faggots on the board with another shit post

dabom
07-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Lmao one of the biggest faggots on the board with another shit post

you must suck mad dick bro. :lmao

steeledl
07-16-2015, 08:58 PM
you must suck mad dick bro. :lmao

Faggots always thinking about dick

dabom
07-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Faggots always thinking about dick

Dick must be in your brains all day faggot. :lmao

steeledl
07-16-2015, 09:06 PM
Dick must be in your brains all day faggot. :lmao

That is some circular ass faggot logic.

dabom
07-16-2015, 09:08 PM
That is some circular ass faggot logic.

Your dick reference to post ratio is 1:1. You a faggot. :lmao

Mikeanaro
07-16-2015, 09:11 PM
:lol

Dex
07-16-2015, 09:11 PM
It probably won't sink in until a few years after Pop leaves that we are so fucking lucky to have one of the best basketball coaches of ALL-TIME. Probably one of the best coaches out of the four major sports.

mookie2001
07-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Historically he neglects the shooting guard position. Is my gripe

SpursforSix
07-16-2015, 09:19 PM
Historically he neglects the shooting guard position. Is my gripe

And Phil Jackson neglected big men. And the Celtics the PG. Make no mistake, Pop is in the top 3 of all time. He's probably 1.

SanAntonioSpurs23
07-16-2015, 09:19 PM
Wed have six if it wasn't for Leonard and Manu missing clutch FTs.

dabom
07-16-2015, 09:21 PM
We'd have 6 if parker faked an injury in 2013 finals game 7. :lmao

dabom
07-16-2015, 09:23 PM
Tony so shit Pop has to give him "you the leader" speech to not go enrique 2013 and lose. . :lmao

dabom
07-16-2015, 09:23 PM
Enrique sandbagging called out by Manu. :lmao

dabom
07-16-2015, 09:30 PM
"Locker room problems" said by Danny Green. One of the highest character guys next to Manu and Duncan. :lmao

wildbill2u
07-16-2015, 09:47 PM
I can't remember any players knocking him as a coach or a human being, even those he cuts or trades. And he gets enormous respect from other players, coaches and FO people around the NBA and worldwide--so why would anybody on ST listen to the morons who think he's a bad coach.

SpursforSix
07-16-2015, 09:58 PM
How can anyone lignimitky complain about 5!titles

purist
07-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Can't believe how y'all take the bait every time. Ignore trolls and they go away

Phenomanul
07-16-2015, 11:11 PM
I can't remember any players knocking him as a coach or a human being, even those he cuts or trades. And he gets enormous respect from other players, coaches and FO people around the NBA and worldwide--so why would anybody on ST listen to the morons who think he's a bad coach.

Yeah... even Stephen Jackson, whom we know was cut after a heated discussion with Pop, acknowledges that HE screwed up - that Pop has always done what was good for the team.

TampaDude
07-16-2015, 11:13 PM
POP = GOAT

The haters can go fuck themselves.

spurraider21
07-16-2015, 11:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZmugSlFrTs

Johnsyounger
07-17-2015, 01:14 AM
:lol the Spurs and Duncan would have been done a long time ago if the spurstalk experts ran things
This x100000

San Antonio Slayer
07-17-2015, 03:04 AM
Pop is too disrespectful to reporters at times though their questions r too naive and stupid but I can't say Jalen Rose, van Gundy or that chick in Chicago asked something extraordinary though received long and warm answers. I understand Pop prefers talking to his team rather espn or tnt, but the way he treats them during breaks...i am sure he is not that jerk outside the arena.

vander
07-17-2015, 03:30 AM
Pop is the main reason Spurs lost in the first round despite being the best team in the league. IMO

kobyz
07-17-2015, 04:29 AM
Pop is the main reason Spurs lost in the first round despite being the best team in the league. IMO

Right on the money

100%duncan
07-17-2015, 08:19 AM
He lost us 2015 but whatever.

SquawkinHawkBigCock
07-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Shut up bitch. You don't know shit. :lmaoI'd shit down your mouth if I ever find you

TDomination
07-17-2015, 09:38 AM
No coach will be perfect. No matter what, there will always be moments where we pull our hairs out because of Pops decision making. But there will always be moments that we will love his play calling and decision making for games, especially in the playoffs.

No matter who your coach is, their gonna have flaws. People who say that Coach Pop have cost the spurs many championships need to realize that who could we have had thats better that would have won us more than 5? Everyone knows that it takes a lot of luck to win a championship along with having a great team and coach.

Besides, whose to say that we win any at all with another coach. Yes Duncan had the talent but talent doesn't always equate to championships. Imagine coach D'Antoni being the spurs coach when Duncan comes in. Focus on offense and only on offense. Or Coach Scott Brooks, plays Duncan 45 minutes a game during the season until he gets hurt.

And not to mention the relationship factor, Pop has a relationship with his players that not many have with their players. And that goes a long way to getting a team together to play high level basketball with each other as we saw in 2014 NBA Finals.

But with that said, I do believe Pop is the perfect coach for this team because of his relationship with Duncan.

TheGoldStandard
07-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Pop is at his best when he's coaching up young players to be selfless and follow a game plan, when he's about making the extra pass and believing in your team. When he's managing minutes because he knows they'll need it at the end of a game etc. His minute management has extended the careers of several of his players but at the end of the day it's the players who have to execute and who make the team successful. If the ping pong balls don't fall that certain way in 97 and we don't get Duncan I'm sure we're not here talking about Pop at all, we're not talking about 5 and a run at 6. Without the success that Duncan brings in the short term after he's drafted then there probably isn't a Manu or Tony in the league certainly not on the Spurs.

4 down isn't exactly genius coaching when you have a once in a generation kind of player.

tatteredprince
07-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Pop
========

equals

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

and soon to be:

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

IS DAT GUD ENUF FUR YE ALL?????

OK!

EVAY
07-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Wed have six if it wasn't for poP.

Alternatively, we could have had NONE without Pop.

Would Duncan have stayed here if his coach was someone other than Pop? Maybe, maybe not.

TheGoldStandard
07-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Alternatively, we could have had NONE without Pop.

Would Duncan have stayed here if his coach was someone other than Pop? Maybe, maybe not.

Well at least 1.. David Robinson and Tim Duncan is a no brainer to at least sniff the finals in those first few years of his career. Duncan chose familiarity and stability to the unknown and it was a smart decision. Knowing how special a player Tim Duncan is if he had gone east to Orlando he probably would have been in the Finals 5 or 6 years in a row from 2000-2005/06

Perry Mason
07-17-2015, 11:24 AM

LOL. This. Tim would have been traded in 2009 or 2010. Maybe Manu too. Tony would be gone and George Hill would be the starting PG. No Leonard, no 5, no more 50-win streak, no WCF... And no Aldridge lol.

kobyz
07-17-2015, 12:18 PM
I never understand about pop how as a coach you could be a genius but at the same time also stupid and so naive, that combination costs us as spurs fans the most hearbreaking and devastating moments of all time that i don't wish even to my biggest foes the experience...

TXstbobcat
07-17-2015, 12:26 PM
How can anyone lignimitky complain about 5!titles

Welcome to spurstalk and its many spoiled spurs fans. :lmao

TXstbobcat
07-17-2015, 12:28 PM
I never understand about pop how as a coach you could be a genius but at the same time also stupid and so naive, that combination costs us as spurs fans the most hearbreaking and devastating moments of all time that i don't wish even to my biggest foes the experience...

most nba fans out there would give their left arm to follow a team that wins 5 championships within their lifetime.

TheGoldStandard
07-17-2015, 01:08 PM

Most teams don't have tim Duncan on the team. No Duncan = no pop

Brazil
07-17-2015, 01:35 PM
:lol usual shitty posters calling out Pop

pop is one of the main reason Duncan stayed with Spurs so without him we are short at least 4

SquawkinHawkBigCock
07-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Spur fan so ungrateful. If Pop doesn't move Diaw to the starting lineup, there's not even a 5.

dabom
07-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Of course Enrique suckers are faggots. Player fans. Lol

HarryLoLa
07-17-2015, 03:42 PM
When you talk to people who work with Pop they sing his praises. I don't like how he went about firing Bob Hill, but outside of that -- his results speak volumes. The league watches him and how he do -- and that says it all. I hope he writes a book. I'll be one of the first to enjoy it.

kobyz
07-17-2015, 04:11 PM
All in all, Pop make Tim Duncan era an underachiever one with all those giveaways...

thousandth
07-17-2015, 04:17 PM
:lol usual shitty posters calling out Pop

pop is one of the main reason Duncan stayed with Spurs so without him we are short at least 4

They aren't saying that Pop isn't the reason for Duncan stayed with the Spurs, they're asking is if Pop could win without Tim.

Phil won everything with different teams and different players, he was a wonderful manager of difficult personalities like Jordan, Kobe, Shaq...Could Pop do the same?

Pop could have dealt with a Jordan-Shaq-Kobe-type, their egos, conflict agendas, contrasting personalities, instead of quiet guys like Tim, Kawhi or Aldridge?
He could have dealt with the pressure of big markets like Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston?

We never know it and that's why people question him.

Agloco
07-17-2015, 04:23 PM
:cry we could have had 8 titles if it wasn't for Pop :cry

And who coaches us to those 8? The same dipshits who incessantly whine about him? Rofl.

thousandth
07-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Spur fan so ungrateful. If Pop doesn't move Diaw to the starting lineup, there's not even a 5.

If he didn't move Tim to the bench in the last seconds of 2013 Finals they could have won 5.

If he would have played a healthy Patty Mills more minutes than Tony Parker on one leg against the Clippers, they could have won 6.

People aren't ungrateful just for say he made mistakes.

ironman2886
07-17-2015, 04:39 PM
He hasn't done shit for the Spurs since 2014. <---blue font

TheMulletMan3000
07-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Yeah, he did fuck up with that hack deandre shit, but Spurs always say WE no matter who fucks up. He had some poor in-game decisions but he is the best when it comes to basically everything else related to coaching.

TheGoldStandard
07-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Yeah, he did fuck up with that hack deandre shit, but Spurs always say WE no matter who fucks up. He had some poor in-game decisions but he is the best when it comes to basically everything else related to coaching.

He will call players soft but question him when it comes to choices and he will either ignore you, say something snarky or say "it worked before" etc..

TheMulletMan3000
07-17-2015, 04:56 PM
He will call players soft but question him when it comes to choices and he will either ignore you, say something snarky or say "it worked before" etc..

Can't have it all :toast people sometimes fuck up and are assholes no matter how great they are.

Brazil
07-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Oh ok pop is not perfect... No shit Sherlock

thousandth
07-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Oh ok pop is not perfect...

But he has that sense of self-criticism?
Like TheGoldStandard said he called his players soft but we never heard I made a bad move, I made a mistake or something like that.

Brazil
07-17-2015, 06:31 PM
But he has that sense of self-criticism?
Like TheGoldStandard said he called his players soft but we never heard I made a bad move, I made a mistake or something like that.

:rolleyes

therealtruth
07-17-2015, 06:58 PM

I get the feeling that's just a persona he gives to the media and he's less that way around the players. I imagine he might even admit he makes mistakes to them.

And Phil Jackson neglected big men. And the Celtics the PG. Make no mistake, Pop is in the top 3 of all time. He's probably 1.

I can't give Pop #1 simply for the fact that he can't win back-to-back which people say is the toughest thing to do. Also he's blown some pretty bad leads in the playoffs. PJ was a ridiculous 48-0 when he won game 1. That can't just be attributed to luck and great players. Basically when he had the better team he won. He had a killer instinct. Didn't give playoff series away. The same can't be said for Pop's teams. Remember the blown 2-0 leads in '04 and '12.

SpursBig3s
07-17-2015, 08:23 PM

he would absolutely be in the league. but he wouldn't have had the same success (titles) without Duncan. Neither would Phil Jackson without Kobe, Shaq, MJ, etc. You need talent to be good in the league. Pop would still be a good coach, but when he says "the smartest thing I ever did was draft Duncan" he's 100% correct

That being said, Pop is obviously one of the 10 best coaches of all time. wouldn't trade him for anybody else

SpursforSix
07-17-2015, 09:02 PM
I get the feeling that's just a persona he gives to the media and he's less that way around the players. I imagine he might even admit he makes mistakes to them.

I can't give Pop #1 simply for the fact that he can't win back-to-back which people say is the toughest thing to do. Also he's blown some pretty bad leads in the playoffs. PJ was a ridiculous 48-0 when he won game 1. That can't just be attributed to luck and great players. Basically when he had the better team he won. He had a killer instinct. Didn't give playoff series away. The same can't be said for Pop's teams. Remember the blown 2-0 leads in '04 and '12.

That's solid backup. As much as I'd like to asterisk all of PJ's titles, it'd be hypocritical. Other than Detroit, I can't think of a champion that didn't have one or more true superstars.

wildbill2u
07-18-2015, 10:41 AM
Re: No Duncan=No Pop

You could also turn that around to: No Pop=No Duncan.

There was a time when Duncan had an offer to leave SA for more money. He and Pop had a heart-to-heart and Duncan stayed. He loves Pop and if Pop had retired years ago, left for a bigger market like LA and the wine country or been fired, I think Duncan might have been persuaded to leave SA as well. Instead he has settled into a mutual admiration society with Pop and makes sure everyone who comes onto the team realizes that they have to buy into the Spurs/Pop's system to be successful here.

AFBlue
07-18-2015, 11:05 AM
I dislike his taste in wine tbqh.

GSH
07-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Moving Boris Diaw into the middle, and letting him distribute, right in the middle of the playoffs, was the single greatest coaching adjustment I've ever seen. Boris wound up leading the Spurs in AST's in the finals. Making that kind of change during the regular season is one thing. Doing it during the playoffs takes balls, as well as genius.

Pop also made the decision to cut Tim's minutes, to save him for the playoffs and prolong his career. There just aren't many (any?) other coaches who would keep their eyes on the prize, and rest one of the best to ever play the game.

spurs10
07-18-2015, 03:03 PM
Moving Boris Diaw into the middle, and letting him distribute, right in the middle of the playoffs, was the single greatest coaching adjustment I've ever seen. Boris wound up leading the Spurs in AST's in the finals. Making that kind of change during the regular season is one thing. Doing it during the playoffs takes balls, as well as genius.

Pop also made the decision to cut Tim's minutes, to save him for the playoffs and prolong his career. There just aren't many (any?) other coaches who would keep their eyes on the prize, and rest one of the best to ever play the game. Well said!

Embedded
07-18-2015, 06:22 PM
That's why we watch this game. Even the best player can be outplayed, the best shooter misses a layup, and yes, the best coach makes the wrong decision in hindsight. What the Coach Popovich haters in this forum forget is this game is all about percentages. Coach Popovich is right many more times than he is wrong, and we have 5 championships because of it. Other top coaches call him great. Some of you sit on the couch in a armpit-discolored t-shirt and call him stupid and naive, this man of 5 titles and many millions.