PDA

View Full Version : Free throws

KL2
07-17-2015, 07:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/free-throws/sort/avgFreeThrowsAttempted

Don't know if this has been covered, but one of the most underrated things LA will bring to this team is his ability to draw fouls. He finished 22nd in FTA's 2 years in a row with 5 attempts per game, knocking them down at a high %. The closest Spurs are Leonard-Duncan both in the mid 40's.

Free throw attempts will put teams into the penalty earlier affecting how they're able to defend SA, as well as forcing coaches to bench key players to stay out of foul trouble.

This is definitely something to look out for, Aldridge will not only draw fouls, but his skill set will open up a ton of 1v1 opportunities at the basket for the Spurs making it much harder to defend and more likely the opponent fouls our guys.

I remember Duncan was a master at drawing fouls, still is great, but in his prime he could draw a quick 3 fouls within a matter of minutes neutralizing the opponent's best defensive big. Aldridge has the potential to do that, especially learning from Duncan.

Spurs finished 21st overall last year in FTA's, 28th the previous year, hopefully they can become at least top 15 this year, maybe even top 10 with the talent they have.

Obstructed_View
07-17-2015, 07:09 PM
I hope his ability to draw fouls comes to San Antonio with him.

SPURt
07-17-2015, 07:22 PM
If he can't, Kyle Anderson can

UNT Eagles 2016
07-17-2015, 07:27 PM
He plays for the Spurs, so he'll likely see his FTAs per drive to the rim go down, and his technical fouls go up (at least at first until he adjusts) tbh...

TheGreatYacht
07-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Saw "KL2" and "Free Throws", brought back flashbacks :pctoss

Nathan89
07-17-2015, 09:40 PM
If Tony continues to take half his shots at mid-range the fts will still be low. Also LMA fts per game will drop with less minutes and he'll probably have a career high in 3ptfga.

look_at_g_shred
07-18-2015, 08:35 PM
:cry

spurs10
07-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Very Spurs like of KA today!

Mr. Body
07-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Good thread. David West, in the bulk of his career, was well above 80% from the line, too. And Aldridge is great from the line,as you note, so good he could take technicals above Danny Green. I expect them all to miss in the clutch, though.

Hoops Czar
07-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Good thread. David West, in the bulk of his career, was well above 80% from the line, too. And Aldridge is great from the line,as you note, so good he could take technicals above Danny Green. I expect them all to miss in the clutch, though.

Danny Green is a very good free throw shooter and one of the few Spurs that can nail a pair in the clutch.

Mr. Body
07-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Danny Green is a very good free throw shooter and one of the few Spurs that can nail a pair in the clutch.

Yes, I know.

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Good thread..the possibilities of system/sets on this team are endless, tbh..

With all these weapons and players with different skill-sets, they are more versatile than any team in the league outside of maybe the Warriors..it'll be interesting to see how Pop utilizes Aldridge and Leonard, and what type of role Parker assumes(more of a facilitator, or will his aggression/attacking of the rim increase with the attention Aldridge will demand from opposing defenses?)

The first unit's offensive struggles were very real for a large part of this past season, they would go stretches where they were unable to even generate clean looks, unfortunately, let alone makes..

Kool Bob Love
07-19-2015, 11:20 AM

freetiago
07-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Aldridge generates free throws because he gets lots of looks. Led the league in fga I believe. He's not gonna get many chucking open mid range jumpshots and a lower fga rate in SA. Leonard or Tim are still more likely to lead the team in FTA.

therealtruth
07-21-2015, 12:13 AM
It will be interesting to see how teams defend TD/LA. Before they could put their best defender on TD and not worry about the other guy. With LA they can't do that. That means Tim will likely get whoever was defending Splitter and make it easier for him to score.