PDA

View Full Version : How Will the Spacing Work?

Ruler
07-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Okay, so something I've been pondering for the past few weeks (even before signing Aldridge), is how will the system work with LMA and Kawhi? We all know, as Leonard was growing offensively, he loved to work in the midrange. He'd go back to the basket, drive and pull up, he had some post moves, a jump hook, etc.

But with both Tim and Lamarcus in the post, will KL2 be made a spot up 3pt shooter? Clearly his PPG will be around 17 this season, same as last year (16.5). I really wanted to see Kawhi break out as a 20ppg scorer this year but I guess not. So what will his role be offensively this season, and will it work?

UNT Eagles 2016
07-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Kawhi stands in the corners and hits 3s in the halfcourt as well as cutting to the rim and being our best transition weapon. He's not really a great 1-on-1 option anyways. Duncan stays by the basket to finish off drives, hi-lows, and offensive rebounds/tip-ins. Kawhi's main purpose lies on the other end. In transition Kawhi attacks the rim, a big man trails, and Danny or Manu and Mills or Parker wait on the wings for open 3s.

Brian Windhorst
07-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Lots more high post action, basically.

07-18-2015, 04:21 PM
I expect Aldridge, Diaw, Parker, and Leonard to all work on their 3's over the summer. Otherwise, the mid range will be packed.

Brian Windhorst
07-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Also, why should a team that exchanges Lamarcus Aldridge for Tiago Splitter need to worry about spacing?

Mugen
07-18-2015, 04:22 PM
the spacing improves exponentially with Aldridge in their instead of Splitter, and even Diaw tbh.

The Whopper
07-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Also, why should a team that exchanges Lamarcus Aldridge for Tiago Splitter need to worry about spacing?

No doubt.

SpursFan86
07-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Spacing will be better than ever tbh...Aldridge/West are both far better shooters than Splitter/Baynes. Not to mention Aldridge has been showing signs of developing a somewhat reliable 3-point shot...it'd be huge if he continues to improve in that aspect. Also, while LMA is definitely a great post player, he's more than capable of being a spot-up shooter as well. It's not like he's only comfortable operating out of the low post or anything. I'm hoping that Kawhi and Parker will benefit from the extra space in the paint now that we won't have both Splitter/Tim clogging it up all the time. In particular I'd like to see more slashing from Kawhi.

ddjeffries
07-18-2015, 04:33 PM
This.

Russ
07-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Spacing, shmacing.

I'm more worried about the D.

DesignatedT
07-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Spacing is going to be better than ever for kawhi......

Brian Windhorst
07-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Question: if theres 28s on the clock and we want to run out the game, why not dribble for 23.5s and then chuck up a rainbow shot 25ft in the air that hits the rim?

ohmwrecker
07-18-2015, 04:52 PM
I don't see a problem.

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Kawhi will be much less of a spot-up shooter than he was with Splitter/Duncan clogging the lane in the dribble-dribble offense, tbh..

Splitter operated in the paint, and opposing teams didn't have any respect for Duncan's range(as Sean Elliott pointed out throughout last season), combined with Parker's decline, it hurt spacing..

Mr. Body
07-18-2015, 05:32 PM
We will see more sets specifically to get midrange shots for the PFs. Kawhi and Parker shot midranges out of isolation or no sets, but Aldridge and especially West may have some new plays for them. West on PnRs may be really great.

JakeCuenca
07-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Works for Kawhi.

Aldridge shoots the 3 now, if people haven't noticed it yet.

it would create so much more space for kawhi not just in terms of driving to the basket but as well as post play.

Even better, Aldridge is a mile better than TD and Splitter with the PnP ..Kawhi should be able to get more space there too.

One important factor to remember though, Parker needs to start shooting threes otherwise the the mid-range would be clogged.

Pop has the option here to elevate Kawhi's game in the offensive end even further, who knows..maybe that's was his plan all along.

Beaverfuzz
07-18-2015, 05:50 PM
Kawhi stands in the corners and hits 3s in the halfcourt as well as cutting to the rim and being our best transition weapon. He's not really a great 1-on-1 option anyways. Duncan stays by the basket to finish off drives, hi-lows, and offensive rebounds/tip-ins. Kawhi's main purpose lies on the other end. In transition Kawhi attacks the rim, a big man trails, and Danny or Manu and Mills or Parker wait on the wings for open 3s.

Do they sit down to pee like you?

TD 21
07-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Kawhi will be much less of a spot-up shooter than he was with Splitter/Duncan clogging the lane in the dribble-dribble offense, tbh..

Splitter operated in the paint, and opposing teams didn't have any respect for Duncan's range(as Sean Elliott pointed out throughout last season), combined with Parker's decline, it hurt spacing..

This is the key. The majority of players, if given enough time and space, have at least reasonably reliable range out to at least 15 feet. But the difference between Aldridge and Duncan taking a mid ranger is not the same, even if the result ends up being the same.

Teams are terrified of Aldridge's jumper (not just for his proficiency, but his high/quick release), to the point that the big defending a pick and roll with him will either "hug" him, or they'll have the perimeter player one pass away either stunt or altogether rotate over. Aldridge has become adept at catching them in rotation by immediately swinging or skipping it to the open man on the weak side, where there's a momentary 3 on 2.

benefactor
07-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Don't understand the OP's question tbh.

Ruler
07-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Okay, with the explaining it definitely makes sense so thanks. But what I meant, as far as how Kawhi was able to play in the mid range last year with Splitter, is that Tiago was only effective at the rim and got how many plays called for him to score? Hardly ever. Aldridge always starts with the ball in the midrange and will get tons of plays calling for him to score. Kawhi will need to stay on the perimeter a good majority of the time. Cutting will be improved obviously, and there's tons of good passers out there to feed him.

Man, to the dude talking about the PnR, you're so right! That's going to be awesome to see

LiSpurs516
07-18-2015, 06:27 PM
PnR will be overkill with LMA and even the addition of West.

jhfenton
07-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Question: if theres 28s on the clock and we want to run out the game, why not dribble for 23.5s and then chuck up a rainbow shot 25ft in the air that hits the rim?

That's why the other team would foul with only a 4-second differential.

JakeCuenca
07-18-2015, 06:33 PM
This is the key. The majority of players, if given enough time and space, have at least reasonably reliable range out to at least 15 feet. But the difference between Aldridge and Duncan taking a mid ranger is not the same, even if the result ends up being the same.

Teams are terrified of Aldridge's jumper (not just for his proficiency, but his high/quick release), to the point that the big defending a pick and roll with him will either "hug" him, or they'll have the perimeter player one pass away either stunt or altogether rotate over. Aldridge has become adept at catching them in rotation by immediately swinging or skipping it to the open man on the weak side, where there's a momentary 3 on 2.

95% of Duncan and Kawhi PnR or PnP last year would result into a double team on kawhi and teams just letting timmy shoot. :lol

I don't know how things would turn out, but Aldridge is exactly the kinda of teammate Kawhi needed to up his offensive game.

This applies to West as well.

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2015, 08:06 PM

Yep..of course the outcome of basketball is results-based, but perception and respect from the defense is also a significant part of an offensive strategy..

Duncan's jump shot was as good as ever in 2012 or 2013 IIRC(or both), he made them at a high level for a big IIRC, but it still didn't receive as much respect from the opposing defense as a player with the reputation of an Aldridge or Nowitzi or even a David West..

Lebron in both the 2013 Finals and 2014 Finals, for example..the Spurs gave him all the jump shots he wanted, he missed them for most of 2013(until game 7), while making most of them in 2014, but it didn't actually alter the defensive strategy, the Spurs gave him the same looks, regardless of miss or make, they didn't respect his jump shot(you could same the same for virtually all teams against him, actually)..

That's another key to Parker getting off to a hot start..he needs to show opposing teams that he's still a threat and that last year was injury-related, etc..

100%duncan
07-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Kawhi has a freer play now. He can pnr with lma, either drive it straight or if they commit to him, pass it to lma. Easy as fuck. Im sure we'll also see less of Tim scoring as he will be more focused on defense.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Do they sit down to pee like you?
I sit down to pee because otherwise my bladder/ureters/upper urethra will hurt because of my hypercalcemia. Also it allows me to fantasize about what it would be like to be a woman. I fucking love women!

At least I don't stand up to poop like you, tbh

Beaverfuzz
07-19-2015, 12:33 PM
I sit down to pee because otherwise my bladder/ureters/upper urethra will hurt because of my hypercalcemia. Also it allows me to fantasize about what it would be like to be a woman. I fucking love women!

At least I don't stand up to poop like you, tbh

You do know that the natural way of shitting is with knees bent standing up right?

Great job Caitlynn.

TD 21
07-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Yep..of course the outcome of basketball is results-based, but perception and respect from the defense is also a significant part of an offensive strategy..

Duncan's jump shot was as good as ever in 2012 or 2013 IIRC(or both), he made them at a high level for a big IIRC, but it still didn't receive as much respect from the opposing defense as a player with the reputation of an Aldridge or Nowitzi or even a David West..

Lebron in both the 2013 Finals and 2014 Finals, for example..the Spurs gave him all the jump shots he wanted, he missed them for most of 2013(until game 7), while making most of them in 2014, but it didn't actually alter the defensive strategy, the Spurs gave him the same looks, regardless of miss or make, they didn't respect his jump shot(you could same the same for virtually all teams against him, actually)..

That's another key to Parker getting off to a hot start..he needs to show opposing teams that he's still a threat and that last year was injury-related, etc..

Yeah, respect is the difference between spreading the floor and not.

I wouldn't say the Spurs or anyone doesn't respect James' jumper (at least not in recent years; though he did regress last season), more like it was the lesser of two evils. They'd much rather deal with that than him driving or posting up.

Completely agree about Parker. His lower half injuries not only compromised his speed/quickness, but his elevation, which killed his jumper. In general, I feel confident he'll have a bounce back season.