PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs players and their roles.

JakeCuenca
07-18-2015, 08:35 PM
With a new team and a regressing Parker I have absolutely no doubt in my mind the team would have to readjust roles to maximize their chances of winning.

- TD's role in the offense will be reduced as the spurs would most likely run Post up for the bigs with LMA. The Pick and Pop would now be Majority LMA as opposed to TD taking the midrange shots playing alongside Splitter. This is great news for the spurs, as teams game planned to make TD shoot the ball while they double Parker or Kawhi. TD will most likely take over the Splitter role in the offensive end..A high low here and there, some post ups here and there, a PnR here and there but his touches will drop.

- Kawhi lead the team in scoring last year and averaged around 20PPG in the last two months and so. Normally, it's easy to assume that with the addition of a borderline top 10 offensive player in the league, Kawhi will have to reduce his offensive role. This is a surprisingly common belief among spursfans. Looking at how this team is structured in the offensive end, it's really set up for Kawhi to thrive. Open lanes, Great PnP big, shooters and so on. His role will most like remain the same as the last two months of the season last year, it is just a matter of whether or not LMA will surpass that offensive responsibility. And, obviously Parker's role is going to play a major part on how Kawhi and LMA would play offensively.

- LMA is going to take over the TD offensive role and then some. I expect him to play the Majority of Picks with both Parker and Kawhi in the starting lineup. Lowe pointed out a week ago or so that Aldridge isn't really that bad of a defender, he's actually decent. It just a matter of adjusting his mindset to playing on both ends as opposed to focusing his energy in O like he did in Portland. It's important that he plays engaged defense specially since TD is not going to be much as PnR and PnP defender.

- TP is really the biggest question mark going forward. Will he accept a role? He's clearly been struggling with the idea for quite a while now. The good news is that he's shown some flashes last year. It's just a matter of consistently accepting a role. Parker needs to run the offense
with the mentality of getting what the defense gives him. His PnR with TD last year was the most inefficient offensive option. Needs to shoot more threes to avoid clogging the midrange.

- Danny Green - 3 and D. I don't really see the point of changing anything offensively..Hopefully, he gets less "get over yourself" treatment from Pop this year though. Defensively, his perimeter responsibility in the last two months of the regular season last year was equal if not more than Kawhi. If Kawhi is going to play the same way he did at the end of the RS last season, Green is probably going to be guarding the best Perimeter player for at least 70% of the time. Green spent a larger amount of time guarding superstars in the last month and half of the regular season last year..

- Manu Ginobili - We're going to see less minutes from Manu next year. Less ball handling. We won't see him finish games at a consistent basis. More often, he would probably seating.... Manu is a legit warrior though and I expect him to play at a high level even though he's probably going to play less minutes.

- Patty Mills - Same as last year

- West and Diaw is a tandem that I can't wait to see. with both having the ability to shoot, it's going to be criminal seeing these two guys bully other bench bigs in the paint and midrange. Diaw is most likely going to be the designated playmaker half court wise with Manu and Patty handling the ball starting the sets.

- Anderson will mostly like get burn as Kawhi's third back up. Green is going to play Majority of Kawhi's minutes when kawhi is resting.

- I haven't really seen much from Simmons, but chances are he'll play garbage time minutes or maybe Toros every now and then.

- Boban will be used against particular matchups ( Memphis) but only for limited minutes. Will play garbage minutes.

- Ray will be the third PG. He will start if Parker gets injured.

-Bonner is the PR guy.

Dingle Barry
07-19-2015, 01:27 AM
Sounds like you've got Green playing 40 mpg

Spurtacular
07-19-2015, 02:19 AM
TD's role in the offense will be reduced as the spurs would most likely run Post up for the bigs with LMA. The Pick and Pop would now be Majority LMA as opposed to TD taking the midrange shots playing alongside Splitter. This is great news for the spurs, as teams game planned to make TD shoot the ball while they double Parker or Kawhi. TD will most likely take over the Splitter role in the offensive end..A high low here and there, some post ups here and there, a PnR here and there but his touches will drop.

Why would you want TD in pick n' pop when that is not one of his biggest strengths. I'd say it's one of the weaker areas of his game. West and Aldridge are both the better mid range shooters. TD is still best when he's on the left block and cutting across the lane. Also, he can do some good high-low action with Aldridge.

And for that matter, you say that LA will do the majority of the picks; logistically, that means Duncan has to have a different role in the second place if we're going by your model.