PDA

View Full Version : NBA: ITT: Predict the West standings (2015-16)

UNT Eagles 2016
07-19-2015, 12:08 AM
(1) Golden State Warriors: 62-20 Ever so slightly downgraded and less hungry, but they're still the most dynamic team in the NBA. 1 and 2 could go either way

(2) San Antonio Spurs: 61-21 Popovich doesn't care about seeding as much as he used to, even though he probably should, and there'll be plenty of rest and punt nights.

(3) Los Angeles Clippers: 59-23 This team looks amazing on paper, and they finally have a rather deep bench but with some questionable parts. Will Lance Stephenson, for example, be a team player or a chucker? Time will tell.

(4) Oklahoma City Thunder: 56-26 Though their team is very thin, they still have the best 1-2 punch on offense in the NBA when they're healthy, and Ibaka is still a force on defense when healthy. Health is the primary concern here

(5) Memphis Grizzlies: 55-27 Had a quietly good offseason, and should be back ready to grit-and-grind with the best in the West. Should make a heck of a 1st round matchup between these two archrivals.

(6) Houston Rockets: 54-28 May take a slight step back, though Beverley's return should help. They are another top-loaded team who must stay healthy to main competitive among West elites.

(7) New Orleans Pelicans: 51-31 This is Anthony Davis's year to shine and prove to the world the NBA is his (Cajun fried) oyster. With health and luck they should improve significantly upon last year's success

(8) Phoenix Suns: 46-36 The Suns have vastly improved their defense and depth. Now is the time for their myriad of young talent to prove they can win in the ever-tough West.

(9) Utah Jazz: 45-37 Missing out on the playoffs by one game may be the much-improved Jazz, who are well-coached and played solid basketball at the end of last year, particularly on defense.

(10) Dallas Mavericks: 34-48 After receiving the short stick in the offseason, the Mavs will be stuck in proverbial NBA purgatory for a couple years. Dirk, try as he might, is no longer capable of being a consistent #1

(11) Los Angeles Lakers: 29-53 They will be somewhat better than last year due to a few offseason tweaks and Kobe's occasional vintage night, which will ultimately cost them a key draft pick

(12) Denver Nuggets: 27-55 After a long playoff streak, the Chicken Nuggets are another one of those teams now stuck in sub-mediocre purgatory and probably should just tank.

(13) Sacramento Kings: 23-59 They're the Kings. Cousins is still emotionally 12. As per every year, they'll likely start off 8-7 or something cute like that and then just play like the Queens the rest of the season. How typical.

(14) Portland Trail Blazers: 18-64 While they'll be horrible having Lillard surrounded by a cast of scrubs in a complete rebuilding year, they'll probably win a few surprising games at home over contenders as per par.

(15) Minnesota Timberwolves: 15-67 Too young, too raw, too discombobulated. Wiggins/KAT need to grow up. Will probably stun a good team or two at Target Center (with KG going for his only 20/10 night of the season) but that's it.

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2015, 12:15 AM
1. Warriors
2. Clippers
3. Spurs
4. Thunder
5. Rockets
6. Grizzlies
7. Pelicans
8. Jazz

9. Mavs
10. Suns
11. Kings
12. Nuggets
13. Lakers
14. Wolves
15. Blazers

UNT Eagles 2016
07-19-2015, 12:17 AM
1. Warriors
2. Clippers
3. Spurs
4. Thunder
5. Rockets
6. Grizzlies
7. Pelicans
8. Jazz

9. Mavs
10. Suns
11. Kings
12. Nuggets
13. Lakers
14. Wolves
15. Blazers
I don't think we're going to settle for a second round date with LA, without HCA again.

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2015, 12:18 AM
I think the top 3 will be a toss-up, I could actually see the Warriors falling a bit, they were fortunate to avoid any injuries, last year..

Clippers are always a great regular season team, they will be tough to beat in the standings, considering the Spurs will be resting players and may have some early chemistry issues..

UNT Eagles 2016
07-19-2015, 12:21 AM
I think the top 3 will be a toss-up, I could actually see the Warriors falling a bit, they were fortunate to avoid any injuries, last year..

Clippers are always a great regular season team, they will be tough to beat in the standings, considering the Spurs will be resting players and may have some early chemistry issues..
Clippers always have a slumpy month or so every year, including last year. Even if the Spurs start out, say, 12-9 or something, we can still come back and take the lead after the ASB. In that case, a successful RRT (preferably 7-2 or better) would be imperative (we can't have a shitty one like last year's, but that was an anomaly so it probably won't).

JakeCuenca
07-19-2015, 12:25 AM
Clippers
Warriors
Spurs
Houston
Thunder
Grizzlies
Pels-MAVS-JAzz

100%duncan
07-19-2015, 12:35 AM
1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. OKC
4. Clippers
5. Houston
6. Memphis
7. NOP
8. Mavs

dgspursforlife
07-19-2015, 05:26 AM
The clipps are the definition of a regular season team, tbh
The top of the conference could be a toss up between the Dubs, clipps, spurs, grizz, OKC and the rockets mostly depending on health.
If everyone stays healthy I think the clips, spurs, OKC and the dubs are in a tier of their own. The lower seeds will be more open and contested between the Jazz, Pelicans, suns and mavs. I can see the jazz actually grabbing the 7th seed if they continue playing like they did the last 2 months.

spursistan
07-19-2015, 09:06 AM
I think the Top seed will be in play until last few days of the season..I don't expect Golden State to run away with it early on..Either they don't get the same luck with injury or simply don't put the pedal to the metal and start coasting a bit like almost every defending champion..It will be interesting to see Kerr navigate it without Gentry; but he he comes across more Popesque than a Phil Jackson when it comes to rest philosophy..Which is why I'm expecting a team with an unproven playoff record like Clippers to angle for Home court adv throughout..As for the Spurs, Pop will juggle the chemistry working/rest act all year along but won't be as careless when it comes to seeding after getting snake bitten last year..

ohmwrecker
07-19-2015, 09:08 AM

Splits
07-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Pop has so many new toys he's going to be mad scientist the first third of the season. Not sure what the record will be, but will be funny to watch.

The real question is: why are so many people on Utah's dick? Trey Lyles is going to turn them from a 38-win team to a 48-win team? GTFO

100%duncan
07-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Pop has so many new toys he's going to be mad scientist the first third of the season. Not sure what the record will be, but will be funny to watch.

The real question is: why are so many people on Utah's dick? Trey Lyles is going to turn them from a 38-win team to a 48-win team? GTFO

I hope it will be fun, not funny.

Utah was one of the hottest team closing out the season iirc, but I too dont buy into their hype.

dgspursforlife
07-19-2015, 11:22 AM

Utah was one of the hottest team closing out the season iirc, but I too dont buy into their hype.
This. I'm not sure if they can pull it off but I liked what I saw especially on the defensive end

ElNono
07-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Too early to call it, IMO... I think some peeps are underrating the Blazers. They're going to be bad, but I'm not sold yet they're going to be worse than the Kings, Utah or Mavs...

At the top it's going to be competitive, but injuries can send any of those teams to the middle of the pack. We'll see how KD/WB look and Tony's hamstring/belly...

Mugen
07-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Too early to call it, IMO... I think some peeps are underrating the Blazers. They're going to be bad, but I'm not sold yet they're going to be worse than the Kings, Utah or Mavs...

At the top it's going to be competitive, but injuries can send any of those teams to the middle of the pack. We'll see how KD/WB look and Tony's hamstring/belly...

The Blazers are going to be significantly worse than the Jazz and Mavs tbh. You better than det, Nono.

Robz4000
07-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Spurs
Dubs
Clippers
Thunder
Grizz
Rockets
Pelicans
Jazz

Suns
TPups
Kings
Mavs
Guests
Lelkers
Nuggets

Strange Love
07-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Everybody drinking that Warriors koolaid.

This year was a freak thing. They'll be around 5th or 4th in the standings.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-19-2015, 03:35 PM

Rudy Gobert just might be the best defensive C in the league these days, tbh, and he's really freaking tall... very hard to score at the rim in the 4th with him out there, especially in the Delta center, as the Spurs found out twice

djohn2oo8
07-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Rudy Gobert just might be the best defensive C in the league these days, tbh, and he's really freaking tall... very hard to score at the rim in the 4th with him out there, especially in the Delta center, as the Spurs found out twice

This. Jazz will be improved.

AlexJones
07-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Warriors
Rockets
Spurs
Clippers
OKC
Grizzlies
Pels
Suns

spankadelphia
07-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Warriors
OKC
Clippers
Spurs
Rockets
Grizzlies
Pelicans
Jazz

The Grizz will probably start off the season hot like last year, then injuries/complacency/bad habits will tank their seeding down the stretch.

ElNono
07-19-2015, 10:48 PM
The Blazers are going to be significantly worse than the Jazz and Mavs tbh. You better than det, Nono.

I dunno about that... I like CJ McCollum, Meyers Leonard, Plumlee... plus Lollard. It's a lot of youth, and it's also possible they might decide to straight out tank, but they should have decent team when you look at the bottom feeders.

The whole Jazz thing is pretty similar, they're going to be extremely dependent on Gobert... the rest are between average and shitty players. Dallas is a question mark, especially with Deron, and who's gonna fill out the Center spot. At least the Mavs have a serious coach.

HemisfairArena
07-19-2015, 11:04 PM
TWolves are the team to watch out for,,,Towns/Wiggins is a deadly combo. I watched the Spurs get Duncan after a 20 win season and win 56 games in his rookie year,,,just sayin' both these kids are something to watch,,,,a modern day Shaq/Kobrick part 2,,,,

SpursFan86
07-19-2015, 11:55 PM
GS
LAC
SA
OKC
Houston
Memphis
NO
Utah
Phoenix
Dallas
Sacramento
LA
Minnesota
Portland
Denver

Utah went 18-10 after trading Kanter, and had the best defense in the league during that span IIRC. Favors/Gobert is a really strong big duo, and Hayward is solid too. The rest of the team is a big question mark :lol , but I'm still going with them as the 8th seed.

And fwiw, I think it'll be like last year where the top 5 or 6 seeds are separated by a really small margin.

DAF86
07-20-2015, 12:16 AM
top 4: among Spurs/Warriors/Thunder/Clippers
5: Rockets
6:Memphis
7:Pelicans
8: Someone of Mavericks/Jazz/Suns

spursistan
07-20-2015, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if no top Western team crack 60 wins or only one does it..Not only that the West got tougher, but also some Eastern teams will no longer be the doormats the were at one point or another last season: Heat/Indiana/Detroit and even the Cavs (early on and when Lebron was out) were actually a gimme type of games even on their homecourt..

Uriel
07-20-2015, 01:02 AM
1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Thunder
4. Clippers
5. Grizzlies
6. Rockets
7. Pelicans
8. Jazz

Venti Quattro
07-20-2015, 01:07 AM
Spurs and Warriors both win 60 games easily. Either or can top the West at the end of the RS. Idk about the other teams. But I think a lot of people are overrating the Thunder, and I love Durant and RWB.

SpursBig3s
07-20-2015, 02:11 PM
The thing about the West is while I agree with the OP that the Dubs and Spurs are definitely the top 2 favorites, the difference between 3-6 (just like last year) is razor thin. After the Lawson acquisition, I'd put the Rockets ahead of the Grizz. Grizz are really tough, but in today's league, you need some firepower on the perimeter at the 2 or 3, and while Conley is very good, he is not an elite point guard and isn't good enough to carry an average starting 2 and 3 in T. Allen and C. Lee. That's what really hurts the Grizz. The difference between the Clips, OKC, and Houston is so thin and close that it's almost negligible. Those 3 teams can beat each other if one of them has even 1 injury, or something like that. And while Spurs and Dubs are a tier ahead of those 3 teams, if they have an injury or two, OKC/Clips/Rox are capable of taking them out, wouldn't surprise me.The West is just a bloodbath, gonna be a fun season

tlongII
07-20-2015, 02:28 PM
I hope we tank. We need a high lottery pick.

Silver&Black
07-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Spurs and Warriors both win 60 games easily. Either or can top the West at the end of the RS. Idk about the other teams. But I think a lot of people are overrating the Thunder, and I love Durant and RWB.

I agree. But, what about the Clippers? You think they can get a top 3 (maybe even top 2) spot? I certainly think they can...

spankadelphia
07-20-2015, 02:30 PM
The thing about the West is while I agree with the OP that the Dubs and Spurs are definitely the top 2 favorites, the difference between 3-6 (just like last year) is razor thin. After the Lawson acquisition, I'd put the Rockets ahead of the Grizz. Grizz are really tough, but in today's league, you need some firepower on the perimeter at the 2 or 3, and while Conley is very good, he is not an elite point guard and isn't good enough to carry an average starting 2 and 3 in T. Allen and C. Lee. That's what really hurts the Grizz. The difference between the Clips, OKC, and Houston is so thin and close that it's almost negligible. Those 3 teams can beat each other if one of them has even 1 injury, or something like that. And while Spurs and Dubs are a tier ahead of those 3 teams, if they have an injury or two, OKC/Clips/Rox are capable of taking them out, wouldn't surprise me.The West is just a bloodbath, gonna be a fun season

The Rockets will finish with a better regular season record than the Grizzlies. Of that I am certain. Their style of play is best suited for regular season basketball. I also have no doubt that the Grizzlies would absolutely prison rape the Rockets in a playoff series, regardless of seeding.

ambchang
07-20-2015, 02:39 PM
1) GSW
2) LAC
3) Rockets
4) Spurs
5) Memphis
6) Thunder
7) Jazz
8) Pelicans
9) LAL
10) Wolves
11) Mavs
12) Suns
13) Blazers
14) Kings
15) Nuggets

I am actually pretty high on the Wolves, they have good youth at the wings on inside, and can actually just go all out and try to play it out and learn. They could click at the 2nd half of the year

Kings could be good, but too dysfunctional

Jazz got good pieces, if they can learn to score, it would be great. Golbert is great defensively, but his offense could be comparatively easily contained, and really kills their spacing. He defends the other team and his own team at the same time.

Pelicans is Unibrow and no one else. Coaching is horrible, just a waste of Davis' prime

Lakers are the real deal, I am putting them 9th as I am somehow a Laker-hater, but in reality, it would be a massive failure if they miss the playoffs this year. I wasn't really sold on them early, but the amazing analysis by KoolAidMan and Buddy Mignon just sold it for me. You are talking about a once in a generation type talent in Kobe, sure bet 2nd pick, and crazy talent like Randle.

Blazers aren't really that bad, but they should make themselves that bad so that they can get high picks.

Suns is back to the hinterlands.

I am probably putting the Mavs a little too high, but I have a lot of faith in Carlisle.

DaSafan
07-20-2015, 03:41 PM

Buddy Mignon
07-20-2015, 03:43 PM
The title is the Clippers to lose. Lakers will grab the 7th seed if healthy, but health to this team seems far fetched these days. Spurs will come up short once again. That guard core is hurting.

Double-Up
07-20-2015, 04:04 PM
I hope we tank. We need a high lottery pick.

How has that worked out in the past?

Double-Up
07-20-2015, 04:05 PM
The title is the Clippers to lose. Lakers will grab the 7th seed if healthy, but health to this team seems far fetched these days. Spurs will come up short once again. That guard core is hurting.

No...:lol

tlongII
07-20-2015, 04:06 PM
How has that worked out in the past?

Well enough to beat the Rockets in a playoff series.

Venti Quattro
07-21-2015, 02:47 AM
I agree. But, what about the Clippers? You think they can get a top 3 (maybe even top 2) spot? I certainly think they can...

LMAO no

Silver&Black
07-21-2015, 03:49 AM
LMAO no

Why can't they? I'm guessing you have GS, SA, and OKC in some order as 1-3...

Honestly, I can't imagine them finishing any lower than fourth. Any with any bad luck to one of those 3 teams....they will finish with a top 3 record.

Where do you see the Clippers finishing? 5th? 6th?

Venti Quattro
07-21-2015, 04:01 AM
Why can't they? I'm guessing you have GS, SA, and OKC in some order as 1-3...

Honestly, I can't imagine them finishing any lower than fourth. Any with any bad luck to one of those 3 teams....they will finish with a top 3 record.

Where do you see the Clippers finishing? 5th? 6th?

1. Spurs or Warriors
2. Rockets
3. Spurs or Warriors

Caltex2
07-21-2015, 10:35 AM
The West will be tougher just by the default of the Thunder, presumably, getting healthy though the Blazers may backslide. If the Mavs somehow stay competitive and if the Pelicans keep improving then 1-8 will be really tough to gage.

ambchang
07-21-2015, 11:19 AM
I am not entirely sold on the Thunder.

Durant's recovery is still in the air. Ibaka most certainly regressed. Westbrook is chucking more than usual. Their bench is getting worse and worse by the day.

If everything clicks, I can see OKC making the 2nd round. If anything happens, they will be knocked out in the first, or miss the playoffs entirely.

Mori Chu
07-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Don't sleep on my Suns, sons.

Their offseason: Addition by subtraction, and, addition by addition.

They'll be decent, and they'll be in the playoffs.