PDA

View Full Version : Reality check: Simmons may be in the dog house

LaMarcus Bryant
07-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Once the season starts, I expect Simmons to get a chance in the rotation very early.

But he's so energetic he can be quite turnover prone. That isn't going to fly with Pop for a first year Spur.
I expect Pop to be extremely hard on Simmons every turnover, eventually dog housing him with the long term hope of making him even better.

We have to hope he's mentally strong enough not to sulk, stays positive in the dog house, and emerges a better player.

Bc jumping into traffic and turning it over can and will piss Pop off

DJR210
07-19-2015, 07:21 PM
He is gonna take the Stephen Jackson route if his play translates over

jeebus
07-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Fat Head gonna be in the dog house too for breaking the 8 second rule every possession.

DesignatedT
07-19-2015, 07:26 PM
lol

Knoxxx
07-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Once the season starts, I expect Simmons to get a chance in the rotation very early.

But he's so energetic he can be quite turnover prone. That isn't going to fly with Pop for a first year Spur.
I expect Pop to be extremely hard on Simmons every turnover, eventually dog housing him with the long term hope of making him even better.

We have to hope he's mentally strong enough not to sulk, stays positive in the dog house, and emerges a better player.

Bc jumping into traffic and turning it over can and will piss Pop off

I think in about first grade they start teaching you not to jump to get off a pass. So this guy is either really dumb or really stubborn. Let's hope the latter as Pop can correct that. As we have seen, BB IQ cannot always be developed in a player (Blair in recent memory).

tesseractive
07-19-2015, 08:06 PM

This.

Mr. Body
07-19-2015, 08:09 PM

I think this is right. Pop will let him grow into more disciplined play. He looks great now but hasn't seemed to have superb coaching. I see Pop nurturing more than cracking down.

DJR210
07-19-2015, 08:12 PM
I think this is right. Pop will let him grow into more disciplined play. He looks great now but hasn't seemed to have superb coaching. I see Pop nurturing more than cracking down.

Hopefully he possesses that alpha gene that will allow him to push back a little when Pop tries to neuter him in typical fashion.. all the players who did well in this system did it.. whether it be Manu, Jack, or most recently Danny getting himself in the "circle" pretty quickly.

ElNono
07-19-2015, 08:21 PM
I heard he already told Tim "You can be my Rasho"....

Darkwaters
07-19-2015, 08:25 PM

Hahaha. Love it.

Play Boban
07-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Was Simmons ever in the "in" house?

mookie2001
07-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Could Simmons be an all star lamarcus?

steeledl
07-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Pop and him are gonna have a love hate relationship for sure but I think Pop will be determined to get him ready to be a player by the playoffs. He does things that this team was desperately needing now that Ginobili and Parker have slowed down. Our bigs are going to give him amazing space to work in and he is already seems to be able to find the open guy when defenses collapse.

100%duncan
07-19-2015, 09:05 PM
I doubt it. Pretty slim at the 2/3, unless they sign a vet he is playing for sure imho.

steeledl
07-19-2015, 09:10 PM
I doubt it. Pretty slim at the 2/3, unless they sign a vet he is playing for sure imho.

Agreed. He will have to play unless we make roster moves. I was stressing about our depth at guard and wing before summer league but then we got McCallum for basically nothing and Jonathon Simmons happened. With all the older players we have, I'd prefer these young legs on the bench than an older guy like Prince.

TimDunkem
07-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Did people forget that we lost Belli and Cojo? Simmons/McCallum/Anderson are going to be battling for those minutes. Point is, he'll play no matter what.

Solid D
07-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Basically, 3 per game with the Austin Spurs.

timvp
07-19-2015, 09:28 PM

Disagree, tbh. Perhaps Pop of 10 years ago would freak out about every turnover a young player makes. But that's not how Pop coaches anymore

Hell, Nando De Colo was far and away the most turnover-prone player in the NBA as a rookie and he still got almost a thousand regular season minutes. Present day Pop lives with turnovers as long as they are of the aggressive variety. It's part of way Cory Joseph was never that great of a fit: he was great about taking care of the ball but Pop doesn't really care about that. I think he's learned from Manu that to be a creative player you have to live with turnovers.

Now, obviously, the most likely scenario going into next season is Simmons not playing much. He has such little experience at a high level of basketball (this summer league is the highest level of basketball he's ever played -- he never made a training camp or even a summer league previously) that it's going to take a while to adjust. Whether he's capable of adjusting his game to NBA caliber athletes will determine how he proceeds -- not turnovers specifically, at least under this version of Pop.

Darius McCrary
07-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Could Simmons be an all star lamarcus?

Absolutely, mookie2001.

therealtruth
07-19-2015, 10:02 PM
This guy sounds like Malik Hairston being super athletic. I am wondering how he's different?

steeledl
07-19-2015, 10:07 PM
This guy sounds like Malik Hairston being super athletic. I am wondering how he's different?

Basketball skills.

Solid D
07-19-2015, 10:15 PM
Injury and rest protection.

Mugen
07-19-2015, 10:17 PM

:lol

YGWHI
07-19-2015, 10:29 PM

Agree. I'd like to know if he can play at SG 3rd spot. If Danny plays 30' and Manu 20' there is still room for Simmons in the second unit.

JuneJive
07-20-2015, 04:41 AM
Can he really break into rotation without there being injuries/blowouts and what not in yr 1?

And this is an all in season, not much wiggle room.

Btw. Hello to everyone :toast

BillMc
07-20-2015, 04:45 AM
:lol

99 Problems
07-20-2015, 05:31 AM
Will depend on the role Pop hands out. We are seeing a wing type guy who can create something off his own dribble and handle the ball ok. These are things we are not entirely use to seeing. There has to be some give if he plays that roll. The trade off with any play maker is tolerance to a few turnovers. However it's not about playing within your limitations, it's about playing in Pops.

Anyhow Pop has mellowed hasn't he?

ceperez
07-20-2015, 05:35 AM

Can finish with either hand! Watch the clips, he is comfortable doing it while being contested.

That's a major difference!

So for the plays where Manu always goes left, Simmons can do the same.

Oh also forgot, Simmons also has a Euro step.

GSH
07-20-2015, 05:17 PM

I think people forget Pop talking about how for every game Jackson wins, he throws another away. (rough quote, from memory) I don't think he'll put up with that shit from Simmons. Especially not this season. This team has so much talent, and such a shot at a ring, I don't think he'll be up for a lot of stupid. Turnovers are probably tops on the list. Hopefully he'll understand that, and get a chance to bring his positive attributes to the team.

Edit: Heh... and TIMVP sees it exactly the opposite. He knows his stuff, so I try not to argue too much. I guess we'll see in a few months.

-21-
07-20-2015, 05:33 PM
I can see Pop benching him after he makes one of those nasty dunks. :lol

Dex
07-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Disagree, tbh. Perhaps Pop of 10 years ago would freak out about every turnover a young player makes. But that's not how Pop coaches anymore

Hell, Nando De Colo was far and away the most turnover-prone player in the NBA as a rookie and he still got almost a thousand regular season minutes. Present day Pop lives with turnovers as long as they are of the aggressive variety. It's part of way Cory Joseph was never that great of a fit: he was great about taking care of the ball but Pop doesn't really care about that. I think he's learned from Manu that to be a creative player you have to live with turnovers.

Now, obviously, the most likely scenario going into next season is Simmons not playing much. He has such little experience at a high level of basketball (this summer league is the highest level of basketball he's ever played -- he never made a training camp or even a summer league previously) that it's going to take a while to adjust. Whether he's capable of adjusting his game to NBA caliber athletes will determine how he proceeds -- not turnovers specifically, at least under this version of Pop.

Can he still be sent down to the DLeague since he played there the last two seasons?

Dex
07-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Will depend on the role Pop hands out. We are seeing a wing type guy who can create something off his own dribble and handle the ball ok. These are things we are not entirely use to seeing. There has to be some give if he plays that roll. The trade off with any play maker is tolerance to a few turnovers. However it's not about playing within your limitations, it's about playing in Pops.

Anyhow Pop has mellowed hasn't he?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3730/9040693595_01523bbd2b_o.gif

T Park
07-20-2015, 09:10 PM

That's where Chad Forcier and England come in as well.