PDA

View Full Version : La. Nursing Home Owners Charged in Deaths

boutons
09-13-2005, 05:05 PM
La. Nursing Home Owners Charged in Deaths

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: September 13, 2005

Filed at 5:54 p.m. ET

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- The owners of a New Orleans-area nursing home where 34 patients died in Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters were charged with negligent homicide Tuesday.

The owners of St. Rita's Nursing Home in St. Bernard Parish ''were asked if they wanted to move (the patients). They did not. They were warned repeatedly that this storm was coming. In effect, their inaction resulted in the deaths of these patients,'' Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti said.

Mable B. Mangano, owner and administrator of the nursing home, and Salvador A. Mangano, a co-owner, surrendered and were jailed.

Foti said his office is also investigating deaths at a hospice in New Orleans.

Marklar MM
09-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Ya. I saw that earlier. They interviewed the son/relative of one of those that died.

ObiwanGinobili
09-13-2005, 05:08 PM
showed some scenes from inside St rita's on the news... the water line is 1/2 a foot from the ceiling..... :depressed

Vashner
09-13-2005, 05:12 PM
I swear I will never go to one of those places myself (to live)... I would rather die at home or outdoors on a nice sunny day...

hussker
In a broader sense, I suppose if one wanted to, then they could blame every level of Govt for failing to move the dead in NOLA starting with the locals and working upward.

Marklar MM
You all remember Happy Gilmore's grammy.

ObiwanGinobili
09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
I swear I will never go to one of those places myself (to live)... I would rather die at home or outdoors on a nice sunny day...

yeah, I'm hoping to go before i need to have some menially paid stranger clean up after my incontinace problem and can't remeber my own name.....

boutons
09-13-2005, 05:20 PM
"They did not"

This a little like DHS/FEMA saysing:
"NO/LA didn't ask us for for help, so we didn't give any".

Whoever offered to move the n/h residents and then allowed the Manganos to wave them off must share some responsibility.

Vashner
09-13-2005, 05:21 PM
yeah, I'm hoping to go before i need to have some menially paid stranger clean up after my incontinace problem and can't remeber my own name.....

My friend Wiley Page went out in style... while pulling the lever on a slot machine at Lake Charles.... He was in his 80's..

ObiwanGinobili
09-13-2005, 05:28 PM
My friend Wiley Page went out in style... while pulling the lever on a slot machine at Lake Charles.... He was in his 80's..

now thats lucky :tu

I've heard some people say they'd liek to go while having sex.... but wouldn;t that permantly freakout/scar the person you were having sex with??

I'd like to just go in my sleep.

Vashner
09-13-2005, 05:51 PM
In port aransas there was a guy that died while doing it with some 18 year old girl. He was married and in 40's. I remember seeing that in the local news it was during a spring break about 12 years ago. Ok i'l admit that's messed up but interesting.