PDA

View Full Version : So who is Spurs toughest match-up after all these league-wide moves?

spursistan
07-20-2015, 12:53 AM
Not sure it is still OKC, tbh..LMA/West/Diaw just completely nullify the Ibaka effect..Durant explosiveness to the rim might be jeopardized after all his foot surgeries and so is his free-throw attempts.. Spur-killa Reggie Jackson is out of there..Kanter's D, or lack thereof, is a new element to drool at.

Surprisingly, i'm going to say, it could be the Pelicans..They were a nightmare for us last year with Monty Wiliams at the helm and now they have upgraded to the only coach who swept Pop in a series other the than Phil Jackson..Clippers/Houston also provide some tough covers..

dabom
07-20-2015, 12:55 AM
OKC when healthy is the hardest matchup for the spurs. We never could stop Durant. They had a terrible coach and their best players are way more athletic to our counterparts. WHEN HEALTHY it goes 50/50. Anything less and we win 100% of the time.

dabom
07-20-2015, 12:57 AM
Number 2 goes to Pop if he's being a fuckboi.

spursistan
07-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Not worried about any East teams..Even when a full, healthy Cavs hit their stride last year, it took them near 60 points and plenty of fluky shots from Kyrie Irving to edge us in OT. They haven't added any game changer..

100%duncan
07-20-2015, 01:08 AM
Parker

spursistan
07-20-2015, 01:12 AM
Parker

:lol

dabom
07-20-2015, 01:12 AM
Parker

My number 3 tbh. :lmao

TheGreatYacht
07-20-2015, 01:27 AM
Leonard at the free throw line

Kool Bob Love
07-20-2015, 01:29 AM

Kool Bob Love
07-20-2015, 01:30 AM
Grizzlies adding Matt Barnes.

dabom
07-20-2015, 01:32 AM
The cum box crew. :lmao

Kawhi Leonard has the best regular season record since drafted. :lmao]

Paper tigers to Championship contenders. :lmao

dabom
07-20-2015, 01:33 AM
Same crew wanted more TP in the playoffs. :lmao

dabom
07-20-2015, 01:35 AM
Kool fagget and Joe have some of the worst takes on ST. :lmao

More TP please. I like when TD loses in the first round. :lmao

YGWHI
07-20-2015, 01:43 AM

It's funny, you always quoted TheGreatYacht. He made you his clown? So cute.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251094

YGWHI
07-20-2015, 01:45 AM
B

dabom
07-20-2015, 01:47 AM
This dude just owned Kool Bob Fagget and then used his shtick on him B. :lmao

spursgu
07-20-2015, 01:48 AM
Parker

Yes, we have to worry about Parker. He can't be as bad as he was last year. He can't be a ballhog

aal04
07-20-2015, 01:50 AM
We are a different team so it will be hard to Judge. We can go big with anyone.

I dont fear any starting 5 anymore and our bench has weakened.

Any team with depth is going to be more difficult

TheGreatYacht
07-20-2015, 01:51 AM
Grizzlies adding Matt Barnes.

steeledl
07-20-2015, 01:52 AM
Age/ Injuries. If Parker is can stay healthy, he should bounce back and have a good year. Ginobili is getting close to being useless so that concerns me.... Duncan has to stay close to the player he was last year and anchor our defense.

Vokun
07-20-2015, 02:07 AM
The Western conference compared to the Eastern conference is like another league. East is fucking GARBAGE, even the scrub ass Cavs. West is so stacked. Teams 1-8 would most likely win against the #1 coming out the East. Shit is a joke.

spursistan
07-20-2015, 02:09 AM
These Parker vs Kawhi tard wars facepalm..........

Vokun
07-20-2015, 02:13 AM
Wait till Kawhi or Parker take shots away from Aldridge, shit's gonna be a bloodbath

HarlemHeat37
07-20-2015, 02:13 AM
Spurs can lose a series to any of the other elite teams in the West(GS, LAC, OKC, Hou), but I don't think any of them are particularly bad matchups like the Thunder and Rockets used to be IMO..

Clippers- went to 7 games and a buzzer beater to beat a Spurs team where everybody save 3 players played below expectations..they could still beat the Spurs, but it's not a bad matchup, and having Aldridge instead of Splitter on 1 calf should help blow up their primary play that they ran repeatedly, all series(to great success)

Thunder- Ibaka is the biggest matchup problem against them, and having Aldridge's jump shot should take Ibaka out of the paint..still a dangerous team, but not really a "matchup problem" anymore IMO..also helps that Reggie Jackson is gone, somehow always killed the Spurs

Rockets- I'd probably have them at #1 here, Harden is the only player in the league that hasn't been solved by the Kawhi/Green duo, but Aldridge absolutely owns and destroys them, which should help

Warriors- as strange as it is to say, considering they're the defending champs(and I'm not one of the fans that downplays their title, they had a historically good year, tbh), they are probably the easiest matchup of all these teams for the Spurs..for whatever reason, Spurs seem to match up well with them..

Vokun
07-20-2015, 02:18 AM
Warriors- as strange as it is to say, considering they're the defending champs(and I'm not one of the fans that downplays their title, they had a historically good year, tbh), they are probably the easiest matchup of all these teams for the Spurs..for whatever reason, Spurs seem to match up well with them..
It's not strange at all. Warriors don't scare me at all. Spurs were always their worst matchup and I truly believe if we got past the Clips, we would have gone back to the Finals. I am much more afraid of the Rockets and Clips tbh

james evans
07-20-2015, 02:39 AM
OKC when healthy is the hardest matchup for the spurs. We never could stop Durant. They had a terrible coach and their best players are way more athletic to our counterparts. WHEN HEALTHY it goes 50/50. Anything less and we win 100% of the time.
the thing about durant, he was exposed as being one of the worst defenders in the league. After Spoelstra exposed him in the 2012 finals by attacking him when Brooks tried to hide him on defense(imagine that), that helped up greatly in 2014 as Leonard looked to score more and made him work on defense instead of saving his energy for the 4th. If you let durant not play any defense for the whole game, when the 4th quarter comes and he has fresh legs, he will kill you(same for Curry). This is how Jordan was able to feast during the finals during 93. Shooting 50% averaging 41 a game because he was guarding Dan Majlre, who wasn't a bad player, but not someone that' gonna go out and just dominate you in the finals when he was a 3rd option.

james evans
07-20-2015, 02:41 AM
Spurs can lose a series to any of the other elite teams in the West(GS, LAC, OKC, Hou), but I don't think any of them are particularly bad matchups like the Thunder and Rockets used to be IMO..

Clippers- went to 7 games and a buzzer beater to beat a Spurs team where everybody save 3 players played below expectations..they could still beat the Spurs, but it's not a bad matchup, and having Aldridge instead of Splitter on 1 calf should help blow up their primary play that they ran repeatedly, all series(to great success)

Thunder- Ibaka is the biggest matchup problem against them, and having Aldridge's jump shot should take Ibaka out of the paint..still a dangerous team, but not really a "matchup problem" anymore IMO..also helps that Reggie Jackson is gone, somehow always killed the Spurs

Rockets- I'd probably have them at #1 here, Harden is the only player in the league that hasn't been solved by the Kawhi/Green duo, but Aldridge absolutely owns and destroys them, which should help

as long as the thunder have westbrooke, I'm not concerned. They destroyed any chance of getting to the finals when they traded Harden. That was similar to the Cavs trading Harper for Ferry. Brad Daughtery even said Jordan thanked him for the cavs doing that bullshit.

JuneJive
07-20-2015, 04:58 AM

I'd have to say OKC ( new coach, surrounded with good assistants with a decent low post scorer, with even a mediocre off. system they could be the biggest threat )

Their downsides are the defense with Kanter on the floor + the regular Westbrook soloisms.
The biggest question mark is how well will Donovan handle the job and will he be able to maximize their bench production.

The Rockets just added Lawson who will relieve Harden from his ball handling duties.
Give him some rest. But in a nutshell it was a Smith - Lawson trade, which is pretty meh.

ceperez
07-20-2015, 10:52 AM
It's going to be decided on the bench. Which ever team can pile up a lead when the bench comes in and can keep their starting five fresh for the final quarter.

Which team can matchup against the Spurs bench:

West
Diaw
Anderson
Ginobili
Mills

?

cd98
07-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Clips have scoring and defense to beat the Spurs. The Thunder match up well with our starting unit, but their cheapness has cost them a bench. Rockets have Hardin, but I just don't like the rest of the team. Even getting a PG upgrade doesn't make me think they can win a title. I guess I just think Howard will choke and I think losing J Smith will hurt as well. I think we can handle GS best, in fact, I think we kill them in the match ups.

BillMc
07-20-2015, 11:05 AM
I'd say OKC for the reasons others have mentioned on this thread. Second would be the Clippers, as they've added considerable depth, which was their main weakness. Without Splitter, Memphis will actually be tougher, but I still say we beat them. We match up well against the Warriors, but they are still good and are a threat. Cavs could make us sweat a little, but we'd beat them. I'd heavily favor us against Houston, Atlanta and anyone else in the league.

silverblackfan
07-20-2015, 11:06 AM
It is really hard to tell until we see LA and Tim playing together. I think the combo might be even more lethal than the individual parts. With West, Diaw, and Anderson added to the bench, we are pretty long and efficient anywhere near the mid-range. If LA and Tim play like we all can imagine, this whole year may be a blur of destruction in the Western conference.
I probably worry more about the Clippers than any other team at the moment. Simply because they beat the Spurs last year. Kind of like the Memphis when they beat the Spurs in the playoffs with Ginobli playing with a broken arm. Still had to beat them to get over the hump from the previous year.

AFBlue
07-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Surprised no one is calling out the Clips as the toughest matchup. I know it went 7 and took a miracle shot to beat the Spurs this past year, but the Clippers have only gotten better. The still have an elite defensive anchor to give the Spurs fits in the paint, the best pure PG in the game, a matchup nightmare in Griffin, a deeper bench, and a great clutch shot maker with veteran savvy in Pierce.

ceperez
07-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Surprised no one is calling out the Clips as the toughest matchup. I know it went 7 and took a miracle shot to beat the Spurs this past year, but the Clippers have only gotten better. The still have an elite defensive anchor to give the Spurs fits in the paint, the best pure PG in the game, a matchup nightmare in Griffin, a deeper bench, and a great clutch shot maker with veteran savvy in Pierce.

I think there is general agreement that the Clippers are going to be a tough match up.

I expected them to fold their tent against the Spurs last year, but they had enough fight in them to win. My concern really isn't the first five, but the second five with Crawford and Stephenson. I'm not sure we have enough wing players to slow these two down.

It's hard to tell how good OKC will be, Westrbook is a much better player, however Durant is questionable.

DPG21920
07-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Yes, the Spurs are stacked, but that was just a level of the playing field. People thinking Spurs will cake walk IMO are going to be disappointed. The West is the best it has ever been and there are legit teams. Even the average teams like UTA are very solid.

Mr. Body
07-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Clippers -- They just got better, potentially a lot better. Pierce, Stevenson, Josh Smith, each have big question marks (age, for Pierce), but they just fixed the biggest problem they had last year at wing. They could go for a top 2 seed.

OKC/Houston -- Each presents huge problems. For the Thunder, I'm not sure how they're going to shake out, but could be extremely tough. For Rockets, they have a ton of talent and the Spurs haven't shown they can play Harden well (unlike GSW).

Memphis -- I kinda think we'll be okay with this matchup, but any added outside firepower will ratchet up their strengths.

Golden State -- Extremely good team, but still feel we match-up well with them. Leonard/Green, as always, are the key.

dbestpro
07-20-2015, 12:10 PM
The team that can give the Spurs the greatest problems are the Spurs, and it starts with Tony Parker learning to pass more, and forcing less.

MaNu4Tres
07-20-2015, 12:25 PM

Clippers will be contenders, but if you're assessing the Clippers that played the Spurs in the first round last year, I have a hard time believing they can be even more efficient (better) than they were that series -- even with the additions they made.

Clippers went 7 deep in most games and played as efficient as they can possibly play in that 7 game sample w/ Chris Paul and Blake Griffin maximizing their touches for 40 + minutes a night. Guarding those two stars every time down the floor, while Barnes and Redick came up with big three after big three is what gave the Spurs headaches.

Those headaches can be relieved to a degree having Stephenson and Smith cut into the usage rate of Paul and Griffin -- which is inevitable when you look at the minutes Paul and Griffin played vs. the Spurs.

Also, while Pierce is nice pick up for them. He's still a massive defensive downgrade from the Matt Barnes the Spurs saw that series.
Clippers no longer have anyone that can guard Leonard.

JakeCuenca
07-20-2015, 12:29 PM
The team that can give the Spurs the greatest problems are the Spurs, and it starts with Tony Parker learning to pass more, and forcing less.

Mugen
07-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Probably Pop and TP like in the Clippers series. Otherwise, it should be cake tbh.

Shipupi
07-20-2015, 12:32 PM
I don't really see why everyone is so scared of OKC, it's basically the same team we destroyed 2 years ago, but KD coming off an injury.. Clippers and Rockets are my biggest worry, Containing Dwight will be super scary, and their bench is no joke. Clippers got wayy better this offseason too, and are now deeper.

Warriors don't really scare me, we matched up so well with them last regular season, and this spurs roster is way better, plus they have no way of containing LMA+Kawhi+Duncan if they go small, someone will have a mismatch and they can just post up nonstop

kobyz
07-20-2015, 12:50 PM
They could lose for either team but i think the toughest is still the Clippers as Doc has Pop's number...

BanditHiro
07-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Clips hurt the Spurs because they had an overwhelming advantage in their frontcourt. That is not the case anymore. Deandre is going to be forced to guard Aldridge away from the paint.

ceperez
07-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Clips hurt the Spurs because they had an overwhelming advantage in their frontcourt. That is not the case anymore. Deandre is going to be forced to guard Aldridge away from the paint.

true

Parker also wasn't healthy, Spurs had less offense and less defense (with Splitter injured). Clippers still had to go to a game 7 to eliminate a injury plagued Spurs team.

Kikoluna
07-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Clippers. Cp3 will perpetrate all day as Leonard and green will cover jj and X shooter. Chubs won't stop him. However, if we put Leonard on him, we win easily. All comes down to chubs getting on the treadmill with some elevation.

Chinook
07-20-2015, 01:09 PM
I don't really see why everyone is so scared of OKC

In an ideal world (were everyone is healthy), the Thunder are probably better on paper than the Spurs. They should be much deeper and more versatile than they were two seasons ago. They just need one more competent wing.

manufan10
07-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Yeah, with a healthy Tiago the Spurs would have gotten past the Clippers. The Spurs' front court was limited that series, even moreso when Baynes laid an egg defensively.

SupremeGuy
07-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Parker/thread

:lol

kobyz
07-20-2015, 01:36 PM
true

Parker also wasn't healthy, Spurs had less offense and less defense (with Splitter injured). Clippers still had to go to a game 7 to eliminate a injury plagued Spurs team.

Stop with the Spurs were injured nonsense, stop making excuses, you played it means you were healthy enough...

DPG21920
07-20-2015, 01:46 PM
I don't really see why everyone is so scared of OKC, it's basically the same team we destroyed 2 years ago, but KD coming off an injury.. Clippers and Rockets are my biggest worry, Containing Dwight will be super scary, and their bench is no joke. Clippers got wayy better this offseason too, and are now deeper.

Warriors don't really scare me, we matched up so well with them last regular season, and this spurs roster is way better, plus they have no way of containing LMA+Kawhi+Duncan if they go small, someone will have a mismatch and they can just post up nonstop

You realize that we "destroyed" OKC because Ibaka (a match up nightmare) didn't play the first 2 games and came back from a serious injury to hobble through the remainder of the series?

It's not like OKC had to improve - they have been incredibly stacked for years now and if not for KD's injury would be a major force last year too. They are damn good assuming KD is anything like his former self.

will_spurs
07-20-2015, 01:50 PM
You realize that we "destroyed" OKC because Ibaka (a match up nightmare) didn't play the first 2 games and came back from a serious injury to hobble through the remainder of the series?

It's not like OKC had to improve - they have been incredibly stacked for years now and if not for KD's injury would be a major force last year too. They are damn good assuming KD is anything like his former self.

Plus they get 10 free points per game off FTs and a couple of goaltending counted as "blocks".

They are by far the scariest team if KD plays at the same level he used to.

DPG21920
07-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Yup - it should be an awesome season and I hope injuries (for all teams) scale back from how terrible they were last year. I want to see high level basketball - especially with the Spurs ceiling.

Shipupi
07-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Ibaka didn't look too injured by the way he played, and Pop adapted very well to Ibaka being back. But even if that's the case, the OKC roster has hardly improved since then. And the Spurs (while unproven) have improved a LOT, Kawhi is 2 years more developed, and he's taking huge leaps each year, not to mention the addition of LMA

buttsR4rebounding
07-20-2015, 02:04 PM
I thought the Clippers were the worst matchup last year and believe that is still true. I do not think the Thunder can be a true title contender with Kanter playing significant minutes. He is not just bad he is likely the worst defensive big in the league. The Thunder will have a bottom third defense with Kanter and that is just not going to hack it. I do not believe a team with Dwight Howard is going to the promised land. I like what Memphis did, but I do not think that they can slow the Spurs down enough on offense to win a series. Spurs match up well against GS. If Simmons or McCallum turn out to be above average perimeter defenders the Spurs rock the Warriors in 5 (as opposed to 6).

ceperez
07-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Ibaka didn't look too injured by the way he played, and Pop adapted very well to Ibaka being back. But even if that's the case, the OKC roster has hardly improved since then. And the Spurs (while unproven) have improved a LOT, Kawhi is 2 years more developed, and he's taking huge leaps each year, not to mention the addition of LMA

OKC to beat the Spurs need a 4th guy. That 4th guy was Harden, the Spurs lost to that team.

OKC just doesn't have the depth to challenge the Spurs.

Hoops Czar
07-20-2015, 02:12 PM
It's going to be decided on the bench. Which ever team can pile up a lead when the bench comes in and can keep their starting five fresh for the final quarter.

Which team can matchup against the Spurs bench:

West
Diaw
Anderson
Ginobili
Mills

?

Clippers easy!

Smith
Aldrich
Stephensen
Crawford
Rivers (Mopped the floor with Mills in the playoff)

HarlemHeat37
07-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Clippers are going to have to figure out their bench, Stephenson/Crawford/Rivers are all redundant, tbh..should probably trade Crawford while he has any value..

Good problem to have, though, since they were severely lacking bench talent, last year(although Stephenson is horrible)..

DPG21920
07-20-2015, 02:17 PM

Didn't look to injured? What a ruse - sitting out the first 2 games of a playoff series to throw the Spurs off..

SupremeGuy
07-20-2015, 02:22 PM
OKC or Warriors. I think the team had a mental handicap against the Thunder until 2014 and last year, now I don't think they're going to present as large of a challenge anymore. And the Warriors, well they're the champs. I think they realize that we were the only team they didn't want to play last year and that might be their motivation for going at us this year.

SAGirl
07-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Not sure it is still OKC, tbh..LMA/West/Diaw just completely nullify the Ibaka effect..Durant explosiveness to the rim might be jeopardized after all his foot surgeries and so is his free-throw attempts.. Spur-killa Reggie Jackson is out of there..Kanter's D, or lack thereof, is a new element to drool at.

Surprisingly, i'm going to say, it could be the Pelicans..They were a nightmare for us last year with Monty Wiliams at the helm and now they have upgraded to the only coach who swept Pop in a series other the than Phil Jackson..Clippers/Houston also provide some tough covers..
I agree NO should be better. They have a better coach and Davis is a generational talent still young enough to keep getting better. Health has been an issue for that team. They need Holiday and he's been unhealthy a lot. I don't think they would be contenders for a title realistically. Still young and with health issues and some questionable talent around Davis, but they will be better. Utah I figure to also improve. But they are in the same boat of youth and inexperience, but Utah last year after getting rid of Kanter were a veritable nightmare and SA struggled to score big time against them.

TimDunkem
07-20-2015, 02:24 PM

If I see one more forced mid-range jumper while Danny casually walks up behind Tony unguarded beyond the three point line screaming for the ball, I'm going to lose it. It happens almost every single game.

cjw
07-20-2015, 03:33 PM

Essentially swapped out Barnes, Big Baby and Hawes for Pierce, Smith and Lance. Definitely an upgrade on paper.

We'll see how Pierce and Stephenson do playing in the West, where you can't take half of your games off. Though playing on a competitive team may help Lance.

Also, no more protecting against Hack-A-Jordan when your alternative is to play Smith, unless they want to try Pierce at the 4 and get killed on the glass.

Still, they're as scary as the Warriors.

silverblackfan
07-20-2015, 03:38 PM
We'll see how Pierce and Stephenson do playing in the West, where you can't take half of your games off.

Agreed. Lets check their numbers and playing time after the all-star break. The West is brutal.

Axegrinder
07-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Not Rockets if each of us just send Lawson a congratulations bottle of booze and get cutewizard to act 15 and catfish Howard...

Hoops Czar
07-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Clippers are going to have to figure out their bench, Stephenson/Crawford/Rivers are all redundant, tbh..should probably trade Crawford while he has any value..

Good problem to have, though, since they were severely lacking bench talent, last year(although Stephenson is horrible)..

Lance, still only 24, has always been overrated and he's is coming off a horrible season in Charlotte but, If he can revert back to the player he was two years ago in Indiana, he'll be an asset coming off the bench (as long as it doesn't turn into the Lance Stephenson show). The Clippers are stacked at SF behind Pierce. Wesley Johnson is capable of cutting into Lance's minutes if he's struggling. Pierce will most likely be on a minutes restriction so it will be paramount that those two log around 20-22 MPG between them.

It's a blessing in disguise that the Clippers didn't go after Ty Lawson. Austin Rivers is a terrible pg, IMO. He sometimes goes off because opposing teams put their worst perimeter defender on Rivers basically daring him to make plays. Sometimes it works because it keeps the ball out of Crawford's hands and every once in a while, it backfires. CP3 is still young enough to log major minutes so it's not a huge concern unless something happens to Paul, in which case, they'd be fucked at the back up pg position because it would force Crawford, the de facto pg of the second unit, to start.

Still for the Clippers, a very formidable bench and the most depth they'd ever have.

Not quite sure what to make of thew Spurs depth. They lost Beli, Splitter, CoJo and Baynes. That's a lot of production lost. While in return, they pick up West, Boban, McCallum and Simmons. West was pretty underwhelming in Indiana last year. I'm looking for him to have a bounce back year. McCallum's got talent but, is still pretty raw and could be a season away from cracking the rotation. Boban doesn't seem like the type of player who's going to make a huge impact. I could be wrong, but the slow and nonathletic types don't usually have a long shelf life in the NBA ( see Gheorghe Mureșan). And that leaves Simmons. He's an intriguing specimen who's played well in the SL and previously in the D-League but, he hasn't proven he can play beyond that level. Pretty ballsy considering a proven veteran like Gerald Green was on the market and signed for the league minimum.

vander
07-20-2015, 04:20 PM
I also fear the clips most.

although with all our long range shooting PFs now, couldn't we just play without a center and draw DeAndre away from the hoop, essentially making him useless?

TD 21
07-20-2015, 04:59 PM

Good analysis.

The Rockets' lack of an Aldridge defender is glaring. Even Howard can't do the job (at least, he couldn't in their series in '14; Aldridge was too mobile for him and had no issue shooting over the top). Even if he could, it would mostly remove him from the paint, increase the likelihood of foul trouble to an already foul prone player and give Duncan a mismatch against Jones. Granted, he's likely to split minutes with Motiejunas, but those other issues aren't going away.

The Clippers will have the same issues against the Spurs now. The rare times they were matched up in the playoffs, Griffin either got scored on easily or fouled Duncan immediately. Smith isn't strong enough and they'll be hard pressed to play Pierce any at PF, as he'd have to defend either Diaw or West.

The Warriors will also have similar issues, particularly with their favorite lineup. I don't see how Green at C can survive against the Spurs, who can hide Duncan, Diaw or West on Iguodala and get by with Aldridge or Diaw on Green.

MaNu4Tres
07-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Lance, still only 24, has always been overrated and he's is coming off a horrible season in Charlotte but, If he can revert back to the player he was two years ago in Indiana, he'll be an asset coming off the bench (as long as it doesn't turn into the Lance Stephenson show). The Clippers are stacked at SF behind Pierce. Wesley Johnson is capable of cutting into Lance's minutes if he's struggling. Pierce will most likely be on a minutes restriction so it will be paramount that those two log around 20-22 MPG between them.

It's a blessing in disguise that the Clippers didn't go after Ty Lawson. Austin Rivers is a terrible pg, IMO. He sometimes goes off because opposing teams put their worst perimeter defender on Rivers basically daring him to make plays. Sometimes it works because it keeps the ball out of Crawford's hands and every once in a while, it backfires. CP3 is still young enough to log major minutes so it's not a huge concern unless something happens to Paul, in which case, they'd be fucked at the back up pg position because it would force Crawford, the de facto pg of the second unit, to start.

Still for the Clippers, a very formidable bench and the most depth they'd ever have.

Not quite sure what to make of thew Spurs depth. They lost Beli, Splitter, CoJo and Baynes. That's a lot of production lost. While in return, they pick up West, Boban, McCallum and Simmons. West was pretty underwhelming in Indiana last year. I'm looking for him to have a bounce back year. McCallum's got talent but, is still pretty raw and could be a season away from cracking the rotation. Boban doesn't seem like the type of player who's going to make a huge impact. I could be wrong, but the slow and nonathletic types don't usually have a long shelf life in the NBA ( see Gheorghe Mureșan). And that leaves Simmons. He's an intriguing specimen who's played well in the SL and previously in the D-League but, he hasn't proven he can play beyond that level. Pretty ballsy considering a proven veteran like Gerald Green was on the market and signed for the league minimum.

Lol you're missing Aldridge and Anderson. Aldridge alone will be playing as many minutes as Splitter and Baynes did combined (20mpg & 16 mpg). He should easily surpass the production Baynes/Splitter gave the Spurs in the 36 mpg they were on the floor. Not to mention, Aldridge's ability to be on the floor in the last 5 minutes in games against any matchup ( unlike Splitter) and be an elite go to guy in half court sets ( huge value w/ Parkers regression). And that's without even considering what David West will bring to the front court.

And Kyle Anderson is essentially a new addition to the mix. There's no reason to believe him or Simmons can't replace Marco's effectiveness. They may not be as pure of a shooter as Marco, but they'll be able to make it up with their production in other areas. Like on the defensive end, on the glass, or their ability to create off the dribble and finish around the basket.

Just thought it was funny how you left out two new important pieces when pointing out your production lost take.

silverblackfan
07-20-2015, 05:13 PM
If Boban got enough time to adjust to the NBA speed, it would be fun to see him checking Jordan. Hell, I am looking forward to most of the teams looking up at that dude.

All Mighty Janitor
07-20-2015, 05:19 PM
I think the Spurs match-up at least evenly with the other top 5 teams in the west.
Clippers vs Spurs:
Dj<Duncan
Blake=Aldridge
Paul Pierce<Kawhi
Redick=Danny
Paul>or>>Tony

Thunder VS Spurs:
Kanter/Adams<duncan
Ibaka<LaMarcus
Durant=or>Kawhi
Morrow/Robertson=or<Green
Westbrook>or>>Tony

Rockets vs Spurs
Howard=Duncan
Terrence Jones/Motiejunas<or<<LaMarcus
Ariza<Kawhi
Harden>or>>Green
Lawson=or>Parker

Warriors vs Spurs
Bogut=or<Duncan
Green=or<LaMarcus
Barnes/iggy<Kawhi
klay>green
Curry>or>>parker

Grizzlies vs Spurs
Mark=Duncan
Randolf=or<Lamarcus
Tony allen/Jeff Green/Matt Barnes(dont know who starts)<Kawhi
Courtney lee/Allen=Danny
Conley=or>tony

Also, over-all match-up wise, Spurs have advantages over all these teams(usually the combo of "who guards duncan?" then "who guards Lamarcus?") The Spurs bench is greater than or equal to all these teams as-well. The team that worries me the most is the Clippers. Will Kawhi Develop his pick and roll/pop or slashing in general to abuse Pierce? How will they contain Chris Paul? Will their wing rotation be a problem if they gel?

MaNu4Tres
07-20-2015, 05:39 PM
1. OKC (if Durant is back to being Durant)
2. Warriors
3. Rockets
4. Clippers

1. Warriors
2. OKC (if Durant is so-so, but healthy)
3. Rockets
4. Clippers

Rockets are getting over-looked IMO. If McHale manages the rotation optimally turning Lawson into their Manu off the bench -- they'll be contenders. It will maximize the touches for their best two playmakers and make them a more effective offensive team for 48 minutes. Also, I love the edge theyll have having two perimeter defenders in the game at all times ( Bev/Ariza; McDaniels/Brewer), some people don't understand how valuable that can be.

Also, their front-court is very underrated, imo. People will say they didn't improve their frontcourt because Josh Smith went to LAC. I disagree entirely. Minutes just opened up for better players in the front-court. Capella came on strong last year in the playoffs when Dwight went down, D-Mo was having a great year too before he got hurt, Terrance Jones is very effective and versatile on both ends, and they also have Harrell, who's been tearing it up in SL. Josh Smith would have just stunted their growth and honestly I'd take either of them over Josh Smith (excluding Harrell). I really like their roster on both ends and how everything fits -- the only gripe and weakness will be their 3 point shooting.

All Mighty Janitor
07-20-2015, 05:56 PM
I agree on lawson coming of the bench but their back court defenders won't really matter against the spurs(only Ariza could hope to contain Kawhi) as parkers usage should go down and the motion offence can abuse their aggressive D. Even if their frontcourt improves, the spurs will still be better in terms of depth and talent. The only problem I see is Harden. But, again, even if he can't be contained Lamarcus or Duncan WILL go off as Terrance Jones can't guard either of them. I don't think they will be a problem.

Leonard DiCaprio
07-20-2015, 06:03 PM
I don't think we should be scared of the Clippers. I mean, the only player in their roster who can give us trouble is Chris Paul, don't forget we almost beat them without Splitter and with people underperforming. They've also added Josh cancer Smith to their already bad bench..:lol

We just have to wait and see if Aldridge/Duncan works well against their bigs.

cd98
07-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Again, Clippers have the depth and offense/defense to beat the Spurs. Thunder have the talent, but like past years, they have no bench. Houston has Harden. He is scary, but for some reason, no one else on that roster scares me, though I acknowledge they have a good team. GS is good, but we match up better with them than anyone else.

keepinitwill
07-20-2015, 07:02 PM
The Clippers and Rockets.

Hoops Czar
07-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Lol you're missing Aldridge and Anderson. Aldridge alone will be playing as many minutes as Splitter and Baynes did combined (20mpg & 16 mpg). He should easily surpass the production Baynes/Splitter gave the Spurs in the 36 mpg they were on the floor. Not to mention, Aldridge's ability to be on the floor in the last 5 minutes in games against any matchup ( unlike Splitter) and be an elite go to guy in half court sets ( huge value w/ Parkers regression). And that's without even considering what David West will bring to the front court.

And Kyle Anderson is essentially a new addition to the mix. There's no reason to believe him or Simmons can't replace Marco's effectiveness. They may not be as pure of a shooter as Marco, but they'll be able to make it up with their production in other areas. Like on the defensive end, on the glass, or their ability to create off the dribble and finish around the basket.

Just thought it was funny how you left out two new important pieces when pointing out your production lost take.

:lmao I left out Kyle Anderson? Tell me, what exactly has he done at the NBA level worth noting? There's no reason to believe other than having a stellar summer league performance that he'll be anybody's replacement in the rotation. My guess is Leonard/Manu and to a lesser extent Green will man the back up SF position to start the season. It's not uncommon for Leonard to play with the second unit anyways. Pop will try to work Anderson/Simmon's into the rotation slowly and if they're succeeding, increasing their workload as the season progresses. However, the Summer league is about three notches below NBA level competition so I'm not holding my breath that either will actually crack the rotation by season's end. As for David West, he was a net negative on the court for the Pacers last year. I'm expecting him to have a bounce back year but, I'll keep to my tempered expectation until I see him on the court for the Spurs firsthand.

Ah, yes, I forgot Aldridge though I was primarily talking about the bench additions/subtractions. Commence laughing.

JakeCuenca
07-20-2015, 09:51 PM
:lmao I left out Kyle Anderson? Tell me, what exactly has he done at the NBA level worth noting? There's no reason to believe other than having a stellar summer league performance that he'll be anybody's replacement in the rotation. My guess is Leonard/Manu and to a lesser extent Green will man the back up SF position to start the season. It's not uncommon for Leonard to play with the second unit anyways. Pop will try to work Anderson/Simmon's into the rotation slowly and if they're succeeding, increasing their workload as the season progresses. However, the Summer league is about three notches below NBA level competition so I'm not holding my breath that either will actually crack the rotation by season's end. As for David West, he was a net negative on the court for the Pacers last year. I'm expecting him to have a bounce back year but, I'll keep to my tempered expectation until I see him on the court for the Spurs firsthand.

Ah, yes, I forgot Aldridge though I was primarily talking about the bench additions/subtractions. Commence laughing.

damn Hoops laughing at Anderson is good news for us.

Looks like we found ourself a good Kawhi back up.

Hoops Czar
07-20-2015, 09:58 PM
damn Hoops laughing at Anderson is good news for us.

Looks like we found ourself a good Kawhi back up.

I know this troll but, I just can't quite put my finger on it. You'll slip up eventually.

JakeCuenca
07-20-2015, 09:59 PM
I know this troll but, I just can't quite put my finger on it. You'll slip up eventually.

Sorry bro, I don't roll that way...

therealtruth
07-21-2015, 12:10 AM
The Clippers were not unbeatable. Pop refused to make adjustments for the Clippers high double screen. The Clippers scored so many points of that. You can't gift a team points like that.

dabom
07-21-2015, 12:12 AM
The Clippers were not unbeatable. Pop refused to make adjustments for the Clippers high double screen. The Clippers scored so many points of that. You can't gift a team points like that.

Someone should tell Pop he can make adjustments next playoffs. :lmao

skulls138
07-21-2015, 12:45 AM
I'd say OKC if they get their chemistry straightened out. They obviously have talent especially now that Westbrook was actually correct in thinking he was on par with KD. If the new coach can get them to max their talents w/out stepping on their egos they are scary.

The biggest question thoughi is ourselves, both our new parts and our old and the meshing of them. Without that it doesn't matter.

Sean Cagney
07-21-2015, 12:57 AM

Player fans.... DAMN.

SAGirl
07-21-2015, 02:05 AM
I'd say OKC if they get their chemistry straightened out. They obviously have talent especially now that Westbrook was actually correct in thinking he was on par with KD. If the new coach can get them to max their talents w/out stepping on their egos they are scary.

The biggest question thoughi is ourselves, both our new parts and our old and the meshing of them. Without that it doesn't matter.

I have no doubts these guys will mesh up well, they are pros and all very competitive. But you are right there are questions how Pop will use them, and some guys will probably have their roles altered a bit... We just don't doubt that they will all come together and be better than last year's crew.

cd021
07-21-2015, 02:33 AM

I'd disagree

They seem to have quite a few either or players that can only be impactful on one side of the ball (Kantor, Morrow, Waiters on defense and Roberson on offense)

the Spurs front line should cause match up problems. Ibaka will have to guard LMA outside of the paint leaving it open for drives. I'd expect a ton of Duncan pick and rolls with Kantor having to try and stay in front of Parker and keep Duncan from scoring on rolls or in the post.

Interested to see how Durant/Westbrook,Kantor and Ibaka mesh on offense. I could see those four taking 55-60 shots a game.

Green and Leonard have had plenty of success in the past of slowing down Westbrook and Durant and they really don't have a ton of scoring punch outside of their top four players.

dabom
07-21-2015, 02:53 AM
I don't think I've ever seen Durant have a bad game vs us when their big 3 are healthy.