PDA

View Full Version : Anderson, Simmons or Marjanovic?

daledondale
07-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Who will have a bigger career with the silver & black?. Discuss and make your bets.

I bet for Simmons.

MVPCues
07-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Anderson, primarily due to long term plans by the organization, higher ceiling, and youth.

Simmons: see above.

Marjanovic: Either mostly a bust and will be in San Antonio a couple of years, or legit NBA backup and will be offered too much money by another team for Spurs to keep long term.

Fireball
07-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Anderson, primarily due to long term plans by the organization, higher ceiling, and youth.

Simmons: see above.

Marjanovic: Either mostly a bust and will be in San Antonio a couple of years, or legit NBA backup and will be offered too much money by another team for Spurs to keep long term.

on point !!! I agree ...

nickdaquick
07-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Who will have a bigger career with the silver & black?. Discuss and make your bets.

I bet for Simmons.

Anderson, not close. I could see him having a late Diaw kind of career. Very nifty with the ball and some how gets to his spot. Hopefully he an improve the 3 point shot and bulk up to be able to play 4 more effectively.

Simmons is good but there are a hundreds of players in the league just like him (athletic wing that can handle the ball a little). He seems to be a very good passer but he needs to improve his jump shot, esp. from 3.

Boban is either going to be good enough this year to get a big contract somewhere else or he'll stink.

Shipupi
07-20-2015, 11:03 AM
I don't see Slomo being a Spur long term, something about his personality makes me think he won't go with the whole Spurs philosophy. That and the fact he constantly goes for the Wade foul move.

steeledl
07-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Anderson is probably wont get a second contract w/ the Spurs.

cd98
07-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Spurs have to hit paydirt on one of those guys this season to win it all. They don't have to be stars, but they need at least one to be a contributor.

cjw
07-20-2015, 11:26 AM
or legit NBA backup and will be offered too much money by another team for Spurs to keep long term.

He'll be a restricted FA, but with the cap jumping so much, there will be no shortage of teams flying in to grab him if he plays well this year.

Chinook
07-20-2015, 12:22 PM
He'll be a restricted FA, but with the cap jumping so much, there will be no shortage of teams flying in to grab him if he plays well this year.

Still under Arenas protection. If he plays well enough, the Spurs will probably be able to keep him cheaply.

Mugen
07-20-2015, 12:25 PM
I don't think Boban will be anything more than a body for garbage time tbh.

Chinook
07-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Along these lines. If Anderson and Simmons play well, at least one will get decent minutes this year. If Boban plays more than cameos, something went very wrong with the team's rotation.

SPURt
07-20-2015, 12:55 PM
The Spurs are that venture capitalist that discovered a few unicorns early that other investors follow. They bet low, but give great opportunity to unknown prospects. Ginobili, Parker, Bowen, DG, Kawhi, and I'm sure others in not listing is real talent undervalued by others at the point of acquisition. Slomo looks like the safest bet because he has proven himself in all the more traditional channels. Simmons is showing real flashes, and if he contributes at a Wesley Matthews type level for 3 years, that's one hell of an ROI. Bobi is a total wild card and it's hard to tell. I think a better question is who contributes more next year, though overall team health will probably hold the largest impact. Conservatively, Anderson has to be the choice, but I like Simmons overall package and the fact his skill set, optimistically, offsets some of the value lost when Ginobili retires.

Kikoluna
07-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Anderson, not close. I could see him having a late Diaw kind of career. Very nifty with the ball and some how gets to his spot. Hopefully he an improve the 3 point shot and bulk up to be able to play 4 more effectively.

Simmons is good but there are a hundreds of players in the league just like him (athletic wing that can handle the ball a little). He seems to be a very good passer but he needs to improve his jump shot, esp. from 3.

Boban is either going to be good enough this year to get a big contract somewhere else or he'll stink.
Are we talking about mr. 9 minutes mile, 98 pound anderson?

Play Boban
07-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Boban should see playing time this season and will probably develop into a solid NBA starter down the road. His size will frustrate opponents and he will be a force out there.

steeledl
07-20-2015, 01:38 PM
The Spurs are that venture capitalist that discovered a few unicorns early that other investors follow. They bet low, but give great opportunity to unknown prospects. Ginobili, Parker, Bowen, DG, Kawhi, and I'm sure others in not listing is real talent undervalued by others at the point of acquisition. Slomo looks like the safest bet because he has proven himself in all the more traditional channels. Simmons is showing real flashes, and if he contributes at a Wesley Matthews type level for 3 years, that's one hell of an ROI. Bobi is a total wild card and it's hard to tell. I think a better question is who contributes more next year, though overall team health will probably hold the largest impact. Conservatively, Anderson has to be the choice, but I like Simmons overall package and the fact his skill set, optimistically, offsets some of the value lost when Ginobili retires.

You must be a finance person.

will_spurs
07-20-2015, 01:43 PM
I think we should factor in expectations (draft pick given up, salary...) when discussing this. And given that Anderson is the likeliest to be a disappointment.

buttsR4rebounding
07-20-2015, 02:15 PM
You must be a finance person.

No one with any kind of numbers background would think there is any chance that the Spurs Simmons "contributes at a Wesley Mathews level for 3 years". Unless he means right this very moment.

timvp
07-20-2015, 02:17 PM
If one of those three eventually turns into a starter quality player, I'd be thrilled.

Richie
07-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Well Anderson will be here for 3 more years on his rookie deal so I expect he will be here longest. Simmons doesn't have the ceiling of Anderson but his role is easier to define so if one of the three is going to stick long term I think it's him. I don't expect anything from Marjanovic, he's just another body to throw at the big teams.

SilverSpur
07-20-2015, 02:33 PM
It will be Anderson, they need him to be a decent back up for Kawai and once Duncan and Manu leave he will be expected go step up even more.

steeledl
07-20-2015, 02:37 PM
No one with any kind of numbers background would think there is any chance that the Spurs Simmons "contributes at a Wesley Mathews level for 3 years". Unless he means right this very moment.

Tbh, I have no idea what you are saying here. Are you saying there is no chance Simmons could be as good as Wesley Mathews ?

will_spurs
07-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Are you saying there is no chance Simmons could be as good as Wesley Mathews ?

Yes, let alone for 3 years.

Dingle Barry
07-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Wes Matthews is a generational talent.

steeledl
07-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Yes, let alone for 3 years.

Im not saying Simmons ever will or won't be as good as Wesley Mathews but that is just your projection and has nothing to do with ones background in numbers. Tbh

daledondale
07-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Anderson is probably wont get a second contract w/ the Spurs.
I don't know if this going to happen, maybe the guy can have some minutes from the bench for a few years. But honestly, i don't see THAT HIGH expectations for someone who is that slow and doesn't defend too much. I mean, some people here think he's the new Manu :rolleyes, that's too much expectations.

steeledl
07-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Wes Matthews is a generational talent.

Seriously, might never see a player like him for the rest of our lives. I for one, will be catching as many maverick games as possible just to be a witness .

Axegrinder
07-20-2015, 03:47 PM
I don't know if this going to happen, maybe the guy can have some minutes from the bench for a few years. But honestly, i don't see THAT HIGH expectations for someone who is that slow and doesn't defend too much. I mean, some people here think he's the new Manu :rolleyes, that's too much expectations.Kyle is clearly the new Rasho

31kungodt
07-20-2015, 04:17 PM
I actually see Marjanovic as a Greg Steimsma kind of project. If he can clog the paint, well then he Can be usefull. If not i dont see him make any impact.

Anderson can be good depending of the role.

Simmo is a freak athlete - if he can develop some primal defensive skills, he could be deadly playing alongside Green and Leonard. I see a potential Harper, Pippen and Jordan comparision (light version of course)

Despot
07-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Obviously all three equally....

posters on here are already calling Kyle Anderson the next Bird or magic, Simmons the next Manu, and Marjanovic anywhere from the next Yao Ming to Duncan.

SPURt
07-20-2015, 06:21 PM

I'm sure you would've said the same thing of the undrafted Wesley Matthews when he first got to the league. It's up to Simmons whether or not he achieves at the next level. Based on Summer League and D League results, Simmons has potential to be serviceable at the next level. I think it isn't totally crazy to set that as a potential ceiling on his ability at Wesley Matthews. No one is suggesting the Spurs give him 4 years at $64 million.

Right now, Simmons is averaging 16 pts/4 rbs/ 3 assists/ 1 steal (all rounding down), That is almost the exact same impact Matthews brought last year. Very obviously Summer League is not the pros, but I don't think it's a terrible goal for Simmons to shoot for in the pros.

Mel_13
07-20-2015, 06:30 PM

Yeah, most seem to think that Bonner will be the 6th big, but I'd bet that he plays more minutes outside of garbage time than Boban this season.

SPURt
07-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Being as Tiago only averaged 12 minutes per game in year one, it's hard to imagine seeing much of Bobi-cakes, unless something goes horribly wrong

SAGirl
07-20-2015, 06:34 PM
I'm sure you would've said the same thing of the undrafted Wesley Matthews when he first got to the league. It's up to Simmons whether or not he achieves at the next level. Based on Summer League and D League results, Simmons has potential to be serviceable at the next level. I think it isn't totally crazy to set that as a potential ceiling on his ability at Wesley Matthews. No one is suggesting the Spurs give him 4 years at $64 million.

Right now, Simmons is averaging 16 pts/4 rbs/ 3 assists/ 1 steal (all rounding down), That is almost the exact same impact Matthews brought last year. Very obviously Summer League is not the pros, but I don't think it's a terrible goal for Simmons to shoot for in the pros.
I am very high on Simmons too, but MAtthews is a terrific, and prolific 3 pt.shooter. Simmons shot the 3 well 1 of 2 years in th d'league, and we haven't seen him shoot it well in SL. I think he can shoot it if left wide open, but we still have to see that a the nba level. The reason I am careful assuming anything like that is bc of Cojo. He shot the 3 well in the d'league and was never able to translate that to the NBA. In fact every year since his rookie season, he shot it proportionally less. Simmons is fa from your Wes Matthews.

SPURt
07-20-2015, 07:00 PM
I am very high on Simmons too, but MAtthews is a terrific, and prolific 3 pt.shooter. Simmons shot the 3 well 1 of 2 years in th d'league, and we haven't seen him shoot it well in SL. I think he can shoot it if left wide open, but we still have to see that a the nba level. The reason I am careful assuming anything like that is bc of Cojo. He shot the 3 well in the d'league and was never able to translate that to the NBA. In fact every year since his rookie season, he shot it proportionally less. Simmons is fa from your Wes Matthews.
I totally agree that Simmons doesn't shoot the three like Matthews in the Summer League and he will need to shoot better in order to stick in San Antonio without question. Matthews is more valuable, to me anyway, on defense. Simmons has almost the same stat line in the d league as Matthews, so I think it is a fair ceiling to place on the guy. Simmons shot nearly 40% playing in the Spurs offense run by d leaguers last year. Simmons is creating more offense off the dribble in Summer League, and defenses must know only Slomo and Simmons are going to do anything on offense. I'd hope getting wide open shots will improve his percentage if he gets a shot with the actual Spurs team.

Matthews will make $15 million next year, what I am saying is Simmons at $550k is a great investment. I am damn glad the Spurs didn't make that signing. Simmons wasn't even supposed to be on the Spurs Summer League team and the Spurs signed him when other vets were available to a guaranteed deal next year. Judging from what we are seeing now, I believe the Spurs could have at least the next Gary Neal/Aron Baynes impact type player. I am not saying he plays like Gary Neal or Aron Baynes before someone pulls that line out of this.

Maddog
07-20-2015, 07:00 PM
If one of those three eventually turns into a starter quality player, I'd be thrilled.

I'd be thrilled if at least one contributes this year
Too many questions about each.
Anderson- will his lack of athletic ability prevent him from being effective at anything above d-league/summer league
Simmons- an undrafted previously unheralded player who has never played a single NBA minute- not sure he's ever been a camp invitee
Boban- 7'3" guy who doesn't block shots?

To some extent, I'm playing Devil's advocate. I'm excited about these guys, but they are far from sure things

keepinitwill
07-20-2015, 07:04 PM
I really think Simmons has All-Star potential.

SAGirl
07-20-2015, 07:12 PM
I totally agree that Simmons doesn't shoot the three like Matthews in the Summer League and he will need to shoot better in order to stick in San Antonio without question. Matthews is more valuable, to me anyway, on defense. Simmons has almost the same stat line in the d league as Matthews, so I think it is a fair ceiling to place on the guy. Simmons shot nearly 40% playing in the Spurs offense run by d leaguers last year. Simmons is creating more offense off the dribble in Summer League, and defenses must know only Slomo and Simmons are going to do anything on offense. I'd hope getting wide open shots will improve his percentage if he gets a shot with the actual Spurs team.

Matthews will make $15 million next year, what I am saying is Simmons at $550k is a great investment. I am damn glad the Spurs didn't make that signing. Simmons wasn't even supposed to be on the Spurs Summer League team and the Spurs signed him when other vets were available to a guaranteed deal next year. Judging from what we are seeing now, I believe the Spurs could have at least the next Gary Neal/Aron Baynes impact type player. I am not saying he plays like Gary Neal or Aron Baynes before someone pulls that line out of this.
Yep I agree with you on all of this. I think both Simmons and Anderson will get open 3 pt. looks they are not going to get at this level considering they are the best players here, and unlikely to be unguarded at any point, they both handle the ball a lot. Defensively I think Simmons has good tools and effort level. We have to see him in real games, but bc of his effort, athleticism, and instincts, I think he will do fine and might turn out to be quite a find on that end.

99 Problems
07-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Probably Slomo. Combo of length, handle & court vision makes him big time project. Give him time to tighten up in some areas.

Darkwaters
07-20-2015, 07:33 PM

I bet for Simmons.

Bigger? I'm pretty sure that 7'3 Serbian wins the size argument handily. He could probably eat Simmons pre-game and snack on Anderson at halftime.

Dverde
07-20-2015, 08:58 PM
1. Simms City
2. Slo-mo
3. Boban the Barbarian

daledondale
07-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Bigger? I'm pretty sure that 7'3 Serbian wins the size argument handily. He could probably eat Simmons pre-game and snack on Anderson at halftime.
:lol