PDA

View Full Version : MVParker heading into his 15th season

SASdynasty!
07-21-2015, 03:34 PM
It's hard to believe MVParker is heading into his 15th season in the NBA. I know he probably gets way too much appreciation on this board :rolleyes, but I'd still like to take a look back at 3 "generations" of his competition at PG. There is some overlap, but these were some of the more prominent matchups by 5-year span (all of whom Parker has knocked out of the playoffs):

Generation 1 (2002-2006):

Gary Payton
Chauncey Billups
Stephon Marbury
Mike Bibby
Jason Williams

Generation 2 (2007-2011):

Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Allen Iverson
Deron Williams
Derek Fisher

Generation 3 (2012-2016):

Chris Paul
Steph Curry
Russell Westbrook
Damien Lilliard
Mike Conley

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2015, 03:55 PM
3rd best Spur of all time

:worthy:

z0sa
07-21-2015, 04:05 PM
...Steve Nash and Jason Kidd be in the 2007-11 category? :dizzy

SASdynasty!
07-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Only because Parker played them most in that span.

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Both made the all star team 6x during that span :wow

daledondale
07-21-2015, 04:15 PM
You forget Bobbie Gibson in that list :lol

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking "who's this alt trying to get his short bus pass?"

... And then I see the signature :lmao

daledondale
07-21-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm thinking "who's this alt trying to get his short bus pass?"

... And then I see the signature :lmao
Don't get mad, just kidding. Alt my ass, i waited like 2 years for a damn account :bang

dabom
07-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Don't get mad, just kidding. Alt my ass, i waited like 2 years for a damn account :bang

Haven't you heard? All the new accounts that point out that enrique sucks is an alt. :lmao

/Big three player fans :lmao

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2015, 04:26 PM
I knew you weren't an alt because you had Manu on your sig :lol had it been some role player with cornrows instead...

z0sa
07-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Only because Parker played them most in that span.

Tallying them makes sense. I just feel like Jason Kidd, for example, was a lot more "prominent" in 2003. Nash, too, didnt exactly jump on the scene in 2007 - his best year individually was probably 2006. But i digress. Im thinking of generations in a totally different way than you are, it seems.

diego
07-21-2015, 04:32 PM
IIRC all the PG's he faced more than once knocked Parker out of the playoffs too, kind of a silly comment to make either way

Slutter McGee
07-21-2015, 04:33 PM

Do we include Artis in this argument Always been confused where he is when it comes to great spurs.

Slutter McGee

Aztecfan03
07-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Both made the all star team 6x during that span :wow
Didn't know you can make 6 all-star games in 5 years. I think you mean combined.

And all-star games don't always mean anything. Iverson made it every year from 2000-2010(his last year) even when he wasn't good at the end.

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Do we include Artis in this argument Always been confused where he is when it comes to great spurs.

Slutter McGee
Funny you bring up Artis, Skip Bayless included him as part of the best Bulls 5 today. He never really had one team to be remembered by but he's still one of our best IMO.

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Didn't know you can make 6 all-star games in 5 years. I think you mean combined.

And all-star games don't always mean anything. Iverson made it every year from 2000-2010(his last year) even when he wasn't good at the end.
Yeah meant combined my bad

FkLA
07-21-2015, 04:56 PM
All except JWill, Fisher and maybe Lillard were better PGs.

The fact that the Spurs won those series had more to do with Duncan and Manu than Porker being better than those opposing PGs. For example Speedy had to close for him vs Kidd, Kerr vs Nash, Barry vs Billups, CoJo/Patty vs Westbrook, etc.

Slutter McGee
07-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Funny you bring up Artis, Skip Bayless included him as part of the best Bulls 5 today. He never really had one team to be remembered by but he's still one of our best IMO.

Yeah, I would include him with the Bulls also. Damn though, that guys advanced stats are nuts...too bad they didn't exist when he played.

SupremeGuy
07-21-2015, 04:58 PM

The fact that the Spurs won those series had more to do with Duncan and Manu than Porker being better than those opposing PGs. For example Speedy had to close for him vs Kidd, Kerr vs Nash, Barry vs Billups, CoJo/Patty vs Westbrook, etc.Truth bombs.

dunkman
07-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Only generation 3 was better, and not always. Parker used to dominate the other matchups, with the exception of Kidd in '03, when Parker was in his 2nd season. The general consensus was that the Spurs dodged a bullet when Kidd signed with the Nets and the Spurs kept TP.

K...
07-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Nash, cp3, westy, kidd were better but none of them would have bought into the spurs as well as parker. None of these guys would have come here on a discount.

bic50
07-21-2015, 08:23 PM
I knew you weren't an alt because you had Manu on your sig :lol had it been some role player with cornrows instead...
Some Role player with cornrows. Sure youre not part of the short bus crew?

UNT Eagles 2016
07-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Definitely put Kidd in the 1st category. By the time he was traded to Dallas he was wayyyyy over the hill.

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2015, 08:47 PM
2 of your first 4 posts were to me. You a fan? "Bic"

bic50
07-21-2015, 09:56 PM
2 of your first 4 posts were to me. You a fan? "Bic"
Nah. The whole hating on the players on your team is stupid. Youre part of that crew.

skulls138
07-21-2015, 10:04 PM

The fact that the Spurs won those series had more to do with Duncan and Manu than Porker being better than those opposing PGs. For example Speedy had to close for him vs Kidd, Kerr vs Nash, Barry vs Billups, CoJo/Patty vs Westbrook, etc.Parkers better than half those pg's. People get so influenced by what the player did lately and they have a hissy fit. They did it with Manu until Manu made them look stupid and they're still doing it. Parker is the most effortless inside scorer on that list. He was also a finals MVP. I constantly see h outdoing these other pgs in head to head matchups like cp3 and Westbrook. Ever think that being surrounded by other great players might make your numbers lessen and much of the players you rate higher are only because they are selfish ball hogs? One more thing, a big moment of glory was snatched right from under Parker in that horrifying game six when Parker made that awesome high arching fadeaway.

You guys make me sick.

dabom
07-21-2015, 10:08 PM
Nah. The whole hating on the players on your team is stupid. Youre part of that crew.

The guys name is Joe the sports guy. He is a lebron slurper.

https://twitter.com/sportstalkjoe

Spur|n|Austin
07-21-2015, 10:13 PM

The fact that the Spurs won those series had more to do with Duncan and Manu than Porker being better than those opposing PGs. For example Speedy had to close for him vs Kidd, Kerr vs Nash, Barry vs Billups, CoJo/Patty vs Westbrook, etc.

Rings talk - besides Curry and Fisher, not a ring to a single one.

spursistan
07-21-2015, 10:17 PM
Tony is only 33 but his mileage is that of 36-37yo, tbh..That's why one should be trying to be realistic about what constitute a bounceback year for him..He only the 8th player in nba history to play over 200 playoffs. All of these guys, minus Kobe, were in their late 30s by the the time they reached that mark..

ElNono
07-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Rings talk - besides Curry and Fisher, not a ring to a single one.

Billups, Kidd and Payton all rang...

Clipper Nation
07-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Stopped reading at "MV" in the thread title, tbh.

Spur|n|Austin
07-21-2015, 10:38 PM

Just caught that - ok ringSSSS talk.

Clipper Nation
07-21-2015, 10:38 PM

He's the driver of the short bus, and K..., Hoops Czar (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=18859), N0 LyF3 ScRuB (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=43681), hater (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=7609), and SASdynasty! (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=9070) are the passengers.

Kool Bob Love
07-21-2015, 10:40 PM

Kool Bob Love
07-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Stopped reading at "MV" in the thread title, tbh.

More rings than the clippers, kings and chargers have combine. MVPARKER. :worthy:

Kool Bob Love
07-21-2015, 10:42 PM

Parker also has more rings than all them combine. MVPARKER. :worthy:

ElNono
07-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Parker also has more rings than all them combine. MVPARKER. :worthy:

You mean the 3 I listed? Fish has more rings than anybody in the OP...

SASdynasty!
07-22-2015, 12:59 PM
There were lots of guards that Parker sent into retirement. I'm just talking about the ones that challenged him.

SASdynasty!
07-22-2015, 01:10 PM
IIRC all the PG's he faced more than once knocked Parker out of the playoffs too, kind of a silly comment to make either way
Guards on that list that never eliminated Parker:

Chauncey Billups
Stephon Marbury
Mike Bibby
Jason Williams
Allen Iverson
Deron Williams
Steph Curry
Damien Lilliard

The only guard on that list that has a winning record against Parker is Fisher (4-3 playoff series).

FkLA
07-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Guards on that list that never eliminated Parker:

Chauncey Billups
Stephon Marbury
Mike Bibby
Jason Williams
Allen Iverson
Deron Williams
Steph Curry
Damien Lilliard

The only guard on that list that has a winning record against Parker is Fisher (4-3 playoff series).

Hmm I guess Fisher is the best PG of the bunch then. And Kerr is better than all of them.

#ringstalk

SASdynasty!
07-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Hmm I guess Fisher is the best PG of the bunch then. And Kerr is better than all of them.

#ringstalk
Just because Parker has a winning record (regular season and playoffs) against pretty much every point guard of all the generations he played in doesn't necessarily mean he's the best. It just helps his overall case.

EVAY
07-22-2015, 01:47 PM
Tony is only 33 but his mileage is that of 36-37yo, tbh..That's why one should be trying to be realistic about what constitute a bounceback year for him..He only the 8th player in nba history to play over 200 playoffs. All of these guys, minus Kobe, were in their late 30s by the the time they reached that mark..

Actually, his mileage is worse than that, I'm afraid. I read a couple of months ago that his mileage is more than any other active pg in the league except Andre Iguadala and Iggy is 39.

FkLA
07-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Just because Parker has a winning record (regular season and playoffs) against pretty much every point guard of all the generations he played in doesn't necessarily mean he's the best. It just helps his overall case.

Bonner has a winning record (regular season and playoffs) against pretty much every bigman he's played against since joining the Spurs. Or in other words stop attributing team accomplishments to individuals who aren't even the alphas of said team.

Actually, his mileage is worse than that, I'm afraid. I read a couple of months ago that his mileage is more than any other active pg in the league except Andre Iguadala and Iggy is 39.

:lol Miller not Iggy

EVAY
07-22-2015, 01:54 PM
:lol Miller not Iggy[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Of course you're right. Brain freeze on my part.

Bottom line, though, is the mileage of a 39 year old. More mileage than any other active pg except one that is 39.

Blizzardwizard
07-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Only 3rd?

TheGreatYacht
07-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Only 3rd?
Just trying to be humble like TP, man :tu

FkLA
07-22-2015, 03:01 PM
More like 3rd best Spurs PG of all-time imo.

Mr Bones
07-22-2015, 03:28 PM
:wakeup Oh good, a Parker thread...

Macca76
07-22-2015, 03:30 PM
More like 3rd best Spurs PG of all-time imo.
Enjoy us, who are the first two ?

SASdynasty!
07-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Bonner has a winning record (regular season and playoffs) against pretty much every bigman he's played against since joining the Spurs. Or in other words stop attributing team accomplishments to individuals who aren't even the alphas of said team.
The only difference is Parker has led the Spurs in scoring and assists in 6 of the last 7 playoff series the Spurs have won, meaning he ***MAY*** be slightly, just slightly closer to being the head of the snake than Bonner. Of course, according to people like you (who just made this argument), maybe that's not the case. Robert Horry FTW!

FkLA
07-22-2015, 04:00 PM
The only difference is Parker has led the Spurs in scoring and assists in 6 of the last 7 playoff series the Spurs have won, meaning he ***MAY*** be slightly, just slightly closer to being the head of the snake than Bonner. Of course, according to people like you (who just made this argument), maybe that's not the case. Robert Horry FTW!

So much the head of the snake that they went into OKC and won the west without him. Then clinched the title despite him starting the game off shooting 0 for 11.

T_L_P
07-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Only players there that are better than Parker are Payton, Nash, Billups, Kidd, Paul, Westbrook and Curry.

I really hope Parker gets it together next year. Hopefully he's stuck to his word and lost weight. That'll help.

T_L_P
07-22-2015, 04:10 PM

By your logic, Parker last Regular Season was better than Timmy, because he scored more and had more Assists.

Do you think last Regular Season Parker was better than Tim?

SASdynasty!
07-22-2015, 06:44 PM
So much the head of the snake that they went into OKC and won the west without him. Then clinched the title despite him starting the game off shooting 0 for 11.
Oh wow, they won a game where he didn't play for a half (in Overtime, almost choked away the lead actually in the last few minutes) and then won another game that Parker scored like 14 points on almost perfect shooting in the 4th. How about the games Kawhi disappeared? I could name every player on the team who didn't show up for any one playoff game that we still won. Fortunately, Parker came through when it mattered most (Game 7).

dunkman
07-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Only players there that are better than Parker are Payton, Nash, Billups, Kidd, Paul, Westbrook and Curry.

I really hope Parker gets it together next year. Hopefully he's stuck to his word and lost weight. That'll help.

Not sure about Billups. While Billups was a better defensive player, TP has a better career.

T_L_P
07-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Not sure about Billups. While Billups was a better defensive player, TP has a better career.

You're right about that. I'm just talking about how effective they were on the court.

I rate Billups as the better Playoff performer of the two, and he had great longevity. He had a transformative effect on pretty much every team he was on.