PDA

View Full Version : Great article about Danny. 10/10

dabom
07-21-2015, 11:15 PM
:flag: found on reddit but great piece.

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/07/21/gregg-popovich-danny-green-and-the-phone-call-that-saved-a-career/

"Danny Green does not fit the Spurs prototype. He is quick with a smile and fist bump in the tunnel leading to the court, even to those of us layers removed from any semblance of their inner circle. He shows emotion. He talks about his feelings. During the Spurs’ championship run in 2014 Green’s face lit up in a post-game press conference while describing how confident he felt when he’d hear Tim Duncan on the court yelling at him to “LIGHT IT!” when Green was squaring for a shot.Green was particularly emotional after the Spurs lost to the Clippers in an epic first round playoff matchup earlier this summer, at one point stopping the interview to wipe tears from his eyes. He explained his emotions to Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express News (http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Intentional-fouling-irritates-Popovich-6238818.php) “Because Manu and Timmy are the greatest teammates I’ve ever had,” he said. “It sucks I couldn’t do it and get a win for them.”"

Dam danny you a spur for life. :toast

BillMc
07-21-2015, 11:22 PM
Nice find. Good read. :toast Green becoming one of my all time favorite Spurs.

dabom
07-21-2015, 11:25 PM
Nice find. Good read. :toast Green becoming one of my all time favorite Spurs.

When we got green I always thought he looked funny and his shot too. Memories. :(

kjhip1
07-21-2015, 11:41 PM
Notice he said manu and Timmy are the best teammates he's ever had...:stirpot:

dabom
07-21-2015, 11:42 PM

:lmao

He calls them the big 2. :hat

apalisoc_9
07-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Thanks man.

Spur-Addict
07-21-2015, 11:50 PM
Nice piece, thanks for the share.

Shabazz
07-21-2015, 11:51 PM
He spent last week hosting a bball camp in Chapel Hill. The kids there really idolize him.

dabom
07-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Thanks man.

:tu

Shabazz
07-21-2015, 11:55 PM
He really is a humble guy. In an interview during his bball camp last week, he talked as if he didn't believe he was a big enough player to host a camp in the Dean Dome.

no Danny... You are a college champ, an NBA champ, a finals record holder, and a starter on the best franchise in the NBA. You most definitely are big time.

Dex
07-22-2015, 12:12 AM
Great article.

Danny has easily become a fan favorite and one of my favorite Spurs. A true story of redemption.

That fact that there is a Green vs. Bowen debate happening on this very forum goes to show how far he has truly come.

HarlemHeat37
07-22-2015, 12:22 AM

Not surprising, tbh..it's not even an indictment on Parker, you just won't find many teammates better than Duncan and Ginobili in the history of the league..

ElNono
07-22-2015, 12:28 AM
Good read thanks for sharing

wildcardX
07-22-2015, 12:35 AM

Matt Bonner: "But........Danny told me at the ESPYs that I was his best homie."

Holden_Caulfield
07-22-2015, 12:39 AM
:bobo

kjhip1
07-22-2015, 12:48 AM
Not surprising, tbh..it's not even an indictment on Parker, you just won't find many teammates better than Duncan and Ginobili in the history of the league..

Yeah I think that's what makes this team so fun to watch. The passion manu and Timmy show is priceless. This year is going to be crazy to watch.

Dro210
07-22-2015, 12:59 AM
:bobo

14 is going into the rafters tbqh

Spurtacular
07-22-2015, 01:12 AM
Green was particularly emotional after the Spurs lost to the Clippers in an epic first round playoff matchup earlier this summer, at one point stopping the interview to wipe tears from his eyes. He explained his emotions to Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express News (http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Intentional-fouling-irritates-Popovich-6238818.php) “Because Manu and Timmy are the greatest teammates I’ve ever had,” he said. “It sucks I couldn’t do it and get a win for them.”

bayareaspursfan
07-22-2015, 01:34 AM
Anyone has that article with Malone interviewing green for San Antonio express?

pookenstein
07-22-2015, 03:44 AM
He gave a very good interview during the SL-Final as well. Couldn't find it on yt, but he said something like he didn't feel he could have gotten much more $$$, that what he and the Spurs agreed upon was about the max he is worth.

"Humility is key" - the Slogan on the back of his Shirt...

pookenstein
07-22-2015, 03:49 AM
http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150722/twsq2t22.jpg (http://www.directupload.net)

The Interview can be found at the start of the fourth quater for all those with NBA-TV, or (international) League Pass.

Fireball
07-22-2015, 04:45 AM
I watched that interview yesterday evening ... the phrase on his shirt fits well to what he said during the interview. Class act ...

z0sa
07-22-2015, 04:46 AM
Danny's a spur for life... well, the rest of his life.

milkyway21
07-22-2015, 05:36 AM
Danny Green's journey before he became a Spur was so inspiring he even considered playing overseas & forget his dream of playing in the NBA, then the Spurs gave him a chance 2x, their patience paid off, they paid attention. And I can see how grateful he is for the opportunity.
Before the 2013 finals many would say, Danny Green who? Now they are saying he is underpaid :) !?!
I doubt if they are truly thinking for Green's sake. I am sure they are jealous why players of his & David West's caliber would sign for less paycheck with the Spurs.
Because the Spurs treated their players like family.

During the interview in Vegas SL finals he said he had signed a new contract "based on what he's worth." And didn't think he's worth more than what he signed. Humble.

Glad you're still a Spur Danny Green :toast:

nadie
07-22-2015, 06:17 AM

Probably because Manu and Timmy were thinking of retirement then and it might have been the last chance the would-be-retirees had.

silverblackfan
07-22-2015, 06:57 AM
Great find Op. That article described Greens road to here very well.

Here's to Green. :toast: Until he screws up on a defensive assignment and all the fans and Pop yell at him next season... :lol

TXstbobcat
07-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Great Article. So glad to have Verde back and at a nice discount.

AFMadison
07-22-2015, 07:05 AM
Probably because Manu and Timmy were thinking of retirement then and it might have been the last chance the would-be-retirees had.

tatteredprince
07-22-2015, 08:09 AM
Notice he didnt include Tony Parker

interesting

Embedded
07-22-2015, 08:27 AM
I agree, Tony Parker is not in the "will he come back or retire" conversation

daledondale
07-22-2015, 08:29 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/x6lgu1.gif

TheDoctor
07-22-2015, 10:29 AM
He really is a humble guy. In an interview during his bball camp last week, he talked as if he didn't believe he was a big enough player to host a camp in the Dean Dome.

no Danny... You are a college champ, an NBA champ, a finals record holder, and a starter on the best franchise in the NBA. You most definitely are big time.

Well said.

wildbill2u
07-22-2015, 03:32 PM
There's another thread on ST about Pop winning a players vote for the "Coach You'd Most like to Play For" If you only took the yelling and screaming aspect of Pop and the extra money, Green could easily have said goodbye to the Spurs. But he didn't. It shows a lot about the personal bond that Pop makes with his players and their families when they become a full fledged Spurs player. Italso shows something about Danny's character as well as the family that is the Spurs organization.